Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S80

Comments

• Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Howdy again Volvo-ites,

Since I haven't driven an S-80 with 16" rims I can't compare them to the 17-inchers. I test drove S-60's with either rim size (15&16"?) and couldn't tell the diff. I like the look of the larger rims. In theory, larger/wider rims and lower profile tires should result in better grip and possibly a smoother ride due to more rubber being on the road and gyroscopic precession. When taken to extremes, it can mean a harsh, unforgiving ride as the tires tend to function like electrical tape on a spool instead of having a cushioning effect. That's not the case with the S-80 IMHO. Finding replacement galoshes may prove to be an expensive treasure hunt.

Most dealers in our FL area get 2.9's in with Premium and 17's, and often the Climate Package. Makes perfect sense, mild winters require heated seats--doh! Not many of the Warm Weather Packages around here. Guess they're all up North keeping the torrid winter sun at bay. This could be resolved easily if but one very important Swede in shipping turned their mouse around the right way!!! I wish more of them came in with the four CD 300W stereo, it's beyond description, best ever.

Wifey, who will be the primary driver, is having second thoughts about colors now that she's seen pearl photos although none are local. She also said to put down a deposit on the gold one which I did--silly me. Tomorrow is delivery day for the gold car, no telling what will happen, women are entitled to change their minds right...and I haven't signed anything yet. Every Pearl car of any make I see, the driver has white/blue hair (sorry rick-va) and we're still young enough to be in the to dye or not to die phase.

As far as snow & mountain handling, we have few hills and no blizzards in FL. Maybe one of the Yankees with the Warm Weather Package and frozen tush will chime in. Seems AWD would be the logical choice. From my MD upbringing, FWD beat RWD, but not AWD.

Anyone out there use Volvo On Call Plus...and/or the hands-free cell phone through AT&T? The sales side of dealership is miffed on how to do it to it, tempted to dial 1-800-WHO-KNOWS.

In an effort to help interpret the eye-charts in the S-80 brochure, (or for the option impaired), here's what comes standard on the T-6 that is either an option or not available on the 2.9:

268 HP Bi-turbo bye-bye Audi Engine (worth $5K if you have it), Auto-stick-it-to-the-Bimmers optional manual shift tranny, EBA watch-out-for-that-idiot panic braking assist, DSTC anti-spin-rinse-panic cycle traction control, an extra 77 pounds of gosh knows what, On Call Plus 'can-you-rescue-me-now' Mattel armrest wired & handsfree phone (is it both?) with buttons that take place of that funny midget garage door on the dash, Front fog no-I-don't-have-my-brights-on lights, Interstellar/Planetary Observation/Ventillation Portal aka Moonroof, 17 inch (that's 48.972 newtons, right? Not the fig variety) Stentor wheels with ZF z-faster z-go z-less assistanzee un der shteering, and finally, Rear Foglight-- something I never thought I needed until I was backing up at 60 MPH one night without one, great thinking Gustaf!

As always, opine on!
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    As far as packages are concerned, if you opt for the Xenon headlights you have to get the climate pkg(for the headlight washers).
    I'm in Arizona and we don't order the warm weather pkg, those side and rear shades are a pain in the butt to use. Just get the windows tinted.
    In our area the incentive is on the 2.9 and T6 only, its not a customer rebate.
    Pearl white has been discontinued, at least for this year. No more Pearl cars may be ordered.
    The 2.9 is out of production at this point.
    On call plus, not worth it. Its an $895 option, except on the T6 where it is standard. Its a neat idea, but who doesn't have a cell phone these days?
  • Options
    jimmychitwoodjimmychitwood Member Posts: 1
    I've fallen in love with a hunter green 2000 S80 with 52,000 miles on it. it seems like it's in good shape other than a few minor cosmetic issues.

I'm in Louisville, Kentucky and can get it for around $17,000.

questions:
    (a) is that a decent price?
    (b) this is not from a dealer and I will have no warranty or anything else once I buy. should I be worried? the Consumer Reports "Used Cars to Avoid" designation is really scaring me. and some of the transmission troubles discussed here aren't helping!

I really like the way the car looks and performs, but I don't have the time or patience (or money!) to go to the shop every three months for repairs.

is it worth the risk? any advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    hoda2hoda2 Member Posts: 3
    Did any one see the volvo with a navigation system? I am interested in a comparison between its navigation system and those available on lexus or acura. I am considering buying a volvo with a nav, the dealer located a car in another state but I am hesitant to get it without seeing or knowing anything about its navigation system. Any comments/advice???
  • Options
    larryp3larryp3 Member Posts: 20
    The Nav system is a peach. You have only the one DVD for the US and Canada. It is easy to use and quite accurate. I really enjoy mine. The remote control lets my passenger-navigator-wife play while I drive when searching for a restaurant or other point of interest while on the road. Check on the navigation technology website http://www.navtech.com/index.jsp (They supply the mapping for most Nav systems in the USA) to assure that any city you need detailed maps for is covered. Most larger ones are. Updated DVDs are available from them at least annually.
  • Options
    waustin2waustin2 Member Posts: 15
    I recently purchased a 2000 S80 2.9 with 27,000 miles on it. I am pleased with the car overall, however the acceleration takes some getting used to. My previous car was a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8 V6, which moved alot quicker and at lower RPMs than the S80. Is there some trick to getting better acceleration out of the S80? I've read about 'kickdown' in previous posts, what is the proper way to drive this vehicle and take advantage of the adaptive transmission?
  • Options
    nbhangtfannbhangtfan Member Posts: 2
    On the S80 right now if you're credit is good you can get a very good money factor on a lease on all models. I just got an S80 T6 and the dealer was allowed to use a .004 money factor from Volvo finance.

Of course leasing does not allow you to get the current incentive if you are purchasing the car - which my dealer said was worth $7500 (continuing through December 2003).
  • Options
    Waustin2,
    The 2.9 was replaced by the S-60's sportier 2.5T powertrain for the very reasons you mentioned, and as a bonus, AWD comes with it. I agree with your power assessment. We came from a 4-cyl Camry into an '04 2.9 so it's not like coming from the 'gutsier' V-6 Pontiac. It takes some getting used to and you have to be firm-footed and rev happy to get rolling quickly. It'll learn to shift based on your driving style, at least the newer ones will. The brighter side of this is you have to look at the tach to get an indication of what's going on under the hood as it's so quiet you can hardly hear it purr. Is the 2.9 underpowered, no. Silky smooth, yes. As zippy/ballsy as the 2.5T/T-6, never.

Volvomax,
    I like reading your posts but we have a difference of opinion, that's OK. I got what I wanted, I'm sure you do that for plenty of customers even though your tastes differ. The Warm Weather Package window shades aren't a pain. Besides, I have yet to see tinted windows that roll down to optimize night visibility...think safety and engineered flexibility, after all, this is a Volvo. The Warm Package's UV reflective windshield is also a neat idea, probably will still use a shade though and since I only own one, can't compare exact inside temps in the blazing sun. Thank goodness our state replaces windshields for free should the need arise as I'm told it's about $800. We got Ash Gold instead of Pearl at a great price fresh off the truck. After a week of driving (not in a row) I'm not disappointed with the 2.9. Yes, the T-6 is grand, no, 5 grand, and typically appeals to 25 percent of prospective Volvo owners, that puts me in the majority and with lower payments. On-Call Plus is great peace of mind, like driving the safest car on the road needed help. We activated the built-in cell phone (via AT&T only) and although it's an older Ericsson TDMA model, it integrates flawlessly. Hands free works well, handset is there if you need utmost clarity and privacy, great sub for our handhelds. Radio volume drops when call comes in or goes out, you have caller ID, never have to take your hands off the wheel except to dial and even that can be done through memory once programmed. Again, phone integration is a safety factor. Some states require handsfree, Volvo once again engineered things the right way, bravo-Volvo! Getting the Nav system and On-Call with the phone wouldn't make sense as there'd be no excuse to call saying you were lost or couldn't find a gas station.

I haven't found one thing yet on our '04 S-80 2.9 (17's, Prem, Warm & Cold Packages, On-Call) that doesn't work logically or I would have designed differently. Great car, great price, thrilled daily.
  • Options
    davant, Thanks for the feedback...still don't know if I can get used to watching the tach approach 4,000 RPMs. My transmission does seem to adapt to my driving habits, but when I change from highway to city (stop and go) driving it seems to take awhile to adjust. Again, not really a problem, just an observation.
  • Options
    ringo6ringo6 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2000 2.9 S80. I have scrolled through theses messages to the past two years, and am disheartened as to what may come up next for me. I am having trouble with the transmission ("shudder's" b/w 2nd & 3rd gear when accelerating fast) and have been told by a Volvo Service Tech (@ Kempthorn's in Ohio) to replace a bad soleniod which altoghether costs around $900, HOWEVER!, this may or may not fix the problem, and that we may have to replace the entire transmission altogether! yea. We purchased the car @47,000 miles and it is now @ 55k, 5,000 over the warranty. My point..., I am not the first one for this exact same problem to happen too, therefore why not a recall; or Vovlo take care of this for me by overlooking those 5k miles since this is obviously a manufacturing fault. 55,000 miles! No car, especially a respectable one, should have any type of transmission problem under AT-LEAST 100 - 150k! Could any or all of you please respond back concerning my problem? Misery loves company, and I'd like to hear how you hashed through it. Thank You.
  • Options
    I take it you didn't buy a warranty or extended service contract.
    Probably should have.
    If the cars history shows the same problem while the car was under warranty Volvo may goodwill the repair. Otherwise your on your own.
    Volvo promises to repair defects for 4 yrs or 50,000 miles, not 55,000. Regardless of your expectations.
  • Options
    I'm not surprised some folks expect a time/mileage warranty to be extended. Like Volvomax said, if the problem is well documented under warranty on YOUR vehicle, Volvo may help you out. My guess is at best they'll cover 50 percent of parts, probably no labor. I agree there was a trend but no recall was in order. All that should have been addressed before your Odo reached 50K, if not, all bets are off. Keep in mind the previous owners may have had 47K tranny trouble-free miles. The trans should last 200K+ but the '00 MY had problems that haven't been totally resolved even in the '04's.

As we all know, modern cars are very expensive to repair thus some genius came up with an extended warranty to pay for what shouldn't fail in the first place. I'm wasn't a believer in them until I got one for a '96 Caddi with 40K on it that we helped my mother-in-law buy (worth >50 bonus points) that was $1,900 up to 75K miles through GM. It was wrecked this year with 76K on it, (a drunk with 9 previous DUI convictions hit her!) and I checked with GM to see what it paid out. In 35K miles it paid $4,600 so even with $50 deductibles it more than paid for itself twice. I know that's off subject but the point is in most cases the darn things are worth it, even on a well-built Volvo where an accumulator or A/C repair can easily top a grand according to one savvy service manager whom I prodded anonymously.

Wanting peace of mind, I took out the Volvocare 7 year 100K mile zero deductible warranty and paid over three grand for it on our '04 S-80. That's outrageous unless you consider in four years I'll never be in Ringo's position of shelling out nearly a thousand clams to troubleshoot or several more for a new tranny. Call me a fool but it's like rolling dice, time will tell, I'm no longer a gambler.

If all else fails Ringo you may find a third party company that will offer a limited albeit expensive plan that might cover this and future problems. I hope no one from one of those companies reads this post, LOL.
  • Options
    ringo6ringo6 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for rour response. The real kicker of it all though, is last night while rummaging through me head, I'm pretty sure I noticed that shudder not too long after we bought the car (i.e. before 50k turned), I..., yes, I let it go. I didn't think it was anything much worth of a worry, plus my wife drives it every day, so I just didn't pay attention to it and forgot about it. I only found out about it when I took it to a Volvo tech to replace a bad emission control sensor, and they hooked it up to the computer and found the bad soleniod/possibly tranny. This could have been covered! I was too ignorant to realize this wasn't right, possibly even serious! And no I don't believe there is any history of this problem somewhere because... wait for the other kicker!... we bought the car off of a non-certified volvo dealer, and they told us nothing was wrong with it. So go ahead, everybody slap me at once!
  • Options
    Ringo,

Poor you. I understand what you mean about overlooking a small problem if you're not the regular driver, or thinking you heard something and not making time to check it out. Recommend you try the third party extended warranty, cheers.
  • Options
    What is the best tool for removing snow without scratching the finish? I have one of those ice scraper/brush combo things, but I'm not sure if the synthetic (plastic) bristles are safe for the Volvo's finish. Thanks.
  • Options
    Waustin2,

Brrrr, bet you reeeeally need this right now. When I lived in MD for 19 years we used brooms, the really soft angled ones work good on unmelted snow and you can hack off the handle to your liking. I had some success with one of those California car dusters but the snow sticks. The bristle/scrapers were meant for windshields mostly so you're right in not creating scratch racing stripes. In fact it's not a good idea to use anything to remove ice or melted snow from a painted surface (besides heat) because even if the removal device won't damage the finish, the ice can. First choice is of course a garage or a long warm-up but I'm sure somebody will say extended idling is bad. If you go that route you may want to lock up and use two sets of keys so it doesn't disappear. Just my $.02 worth...have you considered moving South?
  • Options
    spectre07spectre07 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a S80 2.9 and I have read through all these very informative comments. My question is whether or not the $5000 incentive from volvo is offered in Canada? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Yeah, we got an early winter treat in the Northeast. Well, I opted for the garage (my wife wasn't too happy, because I put her car out in the snow and ice). I always tried to get as much snow and ice off of my cars before driving. Ever drive behind someone with drywall-sheet sized hunks of snow/ice flying off? So, I'll take your advice and use the soft bristle angle broom, but not down to the surface. Thanks.
  • Options
    callawassiecallawassie Member Posts: 2
    A little help, please.
    I am looking at a trade-in of my 2001 S80 for a 2004 S80. My 2001 has a 10 disc cd changer in the trunk, installed by the dealer at purchase. I asked if he could move it over to my new car, and he said no, "The CD changer cannot be transferred because it is forever tied to your existing car. This is part of the security features on today's cars to make electronics useless if stolen however it also penalizes the consumer like so many other things in our society. If we try to transfer the changer to another car the software will fail and it won't play."

Are there any experts out there that can confirm or refute this statement? If I don't want to spend $950 for a new changer, any good ones out there that will work?
    Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A magazine reporter is hoping to interview a driver who bought his/her car since 2001 and has a favorite interior feature (factory- or dealer-installed) that makes the whole car seem more enjoyable and well-built. (Examples: outstanding seat comfort, dynamic stereo, convenient storage pockets, high-quality leather, functional cupholders, etc.) Please send your brief comments, vehicle model name and daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than 12/17/03.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    callawassie - you might check out the list of discussions over on our Smart Shopper board while waiting to see if anyone here has any thoughts. There are a number of helpful sales folks who hang out in a lot of the discussions over there. They may have a definitive answer for you.

Good luck - if you find out, come back here and fill us in!
  • Options
    tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,242
    it may be. Was there a security code with the changer? It may be like the stereo. My SC901 shows "CODE" on the display when powered on after the battery is disconnected and then reconnected. When I enter the security code (received when I bought the car) it turns on. Wouldn't think an "add on" would have a separate code though and the changer should work with any compatible head unit. I see no reason why I couldn't take the SC901 out and install it in another car as long as I had the code. If I had the extra changer it would work as long as the head unit works. Guess I'd get a second opinion from Volvo. Don't blame you at all for wanting to move the CD.
  • Options
    iknow1iknow1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,
    I am interested in a 99 S80 2.9 with 82,000 Miles. The car has all options - CD changer(premium sound) Dealer says it went through the Volvo Certified inspection. But B/cause of the Mileage over 80,000 it could not be Volvo Certified. And that the car was owned by the wife of the service manager. It was originally listed for $14,900. It is now on sale for $10,900 with no Warranty. Is this a good Deal? I live in Ohio. Please need feedback ASAP
    Thanks
    iknow1
  • Options
    Calli (Ken),

We both know you have your answer, (notice the hiccup in post numbering, I got spanked, my bad) here it is for everyone else. The 10 CD can be swapped from one vehicle to another but will take the usual software download steps and stolen serial number confirmation through the dealer to allow it to work in your new prospective vehicle. I only wish I had one too, that wasn't hot of course.
  • Options
    Iknow1,

Not to discourage what looks like a good deal, but I suggest you find some way to get an extended warranty unless you're a gambler. Something smells funny. Why would the dealer put it through the certification process if it wasn't eligible except to make a few more bucks? This equates to they'll stand behind it but they won't, be cautious, money talks, and you know the rest. This is surely a cash cow for the previous owner eventually if you service there. Insist on getting all repair and maintenance records as they should be well documented in the Volvo electronic database and on paper, especially with who owned it. 99's were prone to tranny troubles, rough shifting and hesitation. Most of this may have been fixed through software but think about possible repair costs if it isn't. Even a Volvo at this age will have an increased need for repair as items age or wear out. The general consensus is the early year S-80's are inconsistent in sustaining quality performance, not that they're poor quality. The fact that a Volvo service managers wife had it may help you leverage the extended warranty but don't be surprised if it's just plain too late. You may have another 150K trouble free miles in this car, or it could blow an engine tomorrow, would $10,400 be worth it...how about 13,000 with a good (aftermarket) warranty? Best of luck, keep us posted.
  • Options
    volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    My guess is the S80 was put thru the cert. inspection and then driven for a while and is now exceeding 80,000 miles. 80,000 miles is the ceiling on the certification program. Not very smart on the dealers part. But the money you would spend on the cert. might be better spent on an extended warranty. You would only get 18,000 more miles w/ cert. Obviously depends on the type of ext. warranty.
  • Options
    davant is right, however it is a major league pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to do it.
    The security software can be very hard to get around, even for the dealer.
  • Options
    noswedenoswede Member Posts: 3
    First timer. This message would be directed to anyone driving this new model. We currently own a '01 S80 w/ 37000 miles. It has been very good. I have it sold privately & plan to buy the above model. I am doing this because I don't care for the acceleration in the 2.9. I have read the discussions on this site, especially from VOLVOMAX, regarding this engine. I am concerned about the vibration & the fact of letting engine idle before shutting down We owned a '00 S40 before this S80 & was not told about this shut down process. I am ordering an '04 shortly. Any thoughts would be appreciated. THANX
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Umm..I'm not sure what you're saying here. If you owned a 2.9 S80 there's no need for a special shutdown process. That applies to turbos and the 2.9 S80 doesn't have turbos (that's the T6 and 2.5t in the AWD variant.)

More to the point, the only thing you have to do is stay off the hard acceleration on that last mile to the garage and there's no need for any special shutdown process as the turbos will have spun down enough in speed to not be concerned about oil cooking and caking in the housing (which I'm not sure is even an issue as I don't recall the cooling method for P2 Volvos with turbos off the top of my head.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My partner has 45,000 miles on his 01 S-80 T-6, and has never applied any special shutdown process. No problems so far!
  • Options
    I agree with the follow ups to #1421.

The opinion of one, however skilled and Volvo-savvy, is still but one mans opinion, just like mine. Sodium chloride particles should be ingested concurrently.

The previous concern was possible turbo damage if you shut down the engine immediately after a high rev jaunt. Even with sound engineering you're more likely to damage a turbo (albeit any engine), 2.5T or T-6 included, if you pull in the driveway or garage, put your foot down to redline, and then turn off the key. If this isn't your driving style, you're golden. If you live on an interstate let them spin down at idle say 20 secs. This near-myth is not worthy of influencing your powertrain druthers. If anything it further justifies the non-turbo 2.9, less to go wrong.

I didn't see worlds of difference between the 2.5T and 2.9, continents yes, but not worlds. Our '04 2.9 has plenty of zip but isn't quite as sporty. The 2.5T is gutsier without a typical turbo rush. To me, the 5-cylinder engine isn't as refined as the 2.9 or T-6, doesn't idle as smooth, but does feel more responsive. Remember, with the exception of a head-snapping T-6 w/4C-chassis (or now the S-60R), these are luxury cars that can be sporty, not visa-versa.

I tried, then ruled out the 2.5T partly because I have trouble shelling out this many clams and getting the 'mid-line' S-60 powertrain in Volvo's premium sedan... even though I agree it has merits in adverse weather and a more broad powerband. Also, Florida snowfall totals don't justify AWD nor could I ignore the $4K+ wallet tug for a T-6. Maybe you should go for a ride with my wife, you'd swear our 2.9 was a turbo...

Just my salty opinion.
  • Options
    First, thanx for the responses to my 2.5T questions. I need to drive a 2.5T S80 before I make the final decision. Is everybody aware the '04 S80 will be available with the 2.5T W/O AWD? I have had a recent problem with removing the wheel lug bolts. They are very difficult to remove only recently as I rotate my tires every 5000 miles. Question is-can I convert to studs & custom lug nuts? Last week, after removal, I applied copper anti-seize to all. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    The FWD S80 2.5T will be available in Jan-Feb.
    Don't worry about the 5 cyl engine, its been bulletproof.
    Also, the idle technique for the turbo only needs to be applied during extended high speed use.

I don't think that you will find it easy or desireable to change the lug bolts to studs.
  • Options
    Vol'max,
    Thanks for the response, wasn't trying knock you down at all but I don't think there's technical validity for the turbo concerns, they are bullet-proof. Curious if your guidance was based on introspect, opinion, years of repair histories, secretive Volvo training, do tell? Being somewhat science/physics savvy, I can't see what the extended in "extended high speed use" would matter. Is there special control circuitry or are there magic beans in the turbos resulting in synergistic inertia (I love a similar line Joe Pesci used in My Cousin Vinny)? Look forward to your response as the professor never taught me a thing about beans. I did take a class in horticulture, they never mentioned turbos, wink.

N'swede,
    Thanks for the heads up on the front-wheel-drive 2.5T. Should be a a fine logical replacement for the silky smooth non-fire-breathing 2.9 '04. Probably a big seller in FL with the Climate package (heated seats-- only funny if you go to #1393). I look forward to your test drive feedback. Drive one of the '04 sixers too if you haven't already. My bet is you'll put your first-born up for adoption once you drive a T-6. If Volvo stuffs a different AWD in a T-6 (the S-60 one probably won't fit), lookout Audi!

Happy Holi- & Volvo-days to all.
  • Options
    tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,242
    Read your owners manual. In my manual for the LT C70, it states to let the turbo wind down after spirited driving.
  • Options
    kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Why will Volvo replace the current 2.9 I-6 with turbo I-5? The power is not a huge difference. I never had a car with turbo engine. From the discussion, I kindda feel that turbo needs more care and maintaince (I may be totally wrong on this).

What is the obvious benefit of a turbo I-5 over the current I-6? Other than the slight power gain, does turbos yield better fuel economy?

Few years ago, Car and Driver said that Volvo turbos are made by Mitsubishi. Is this still true?

I also heard that turbos are good for highway driving not city because of the "turbo lag". What do you think?
  • Options
    Thanx for the input on the 2.5T. Currently own a '01 2.9 S80. Will be ordering an '04 S80 2.5T NON AWD in 30 days. Questions for the forum. Should I use premium fuel as I normally use 89 octane? Does anyone feel that synthetic oil or so called 'TURBO OIL' will make enhance the basic performance of this engine? I change oil every 3000 miles. Any thoughts on that? Is that too often? THANX AGAIN GUYS.
  • Options
    dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    The manual says to use 91 octane gasoline. That said I really don't find any difference between Amoco silver and gold which are 89 and 93 octane. No difference in gas mileage or performance. Also, I have a 2003 s80 2.9, every other car I've had I've always changed the oil after the first 1000 miles and then 3000 miles from then on. When I got my volvo I posted the question of oil changes on multiple boards along with asking the dealer. Was told 7500 mile intervals. So that's what I'm doing.
  • Options
    volvo9980volvo9980 Member Posts: 3
    Hello All,
    First midwest winter for a North Texas Volvo S80. After not using for a couple of days the orignal battery was dead. Got a new one, after a week of using the car everyday the new battery is dead too. Any clues for the battery drain?

THANKS.
  • Options
    larryp3larryp3 Member Posts: 20
    Could be anything from a glove box or trunk light on, to alternator not charging. You need a voltmeter across the battery while idling to check the alternator. SB 12v with engine off and above 13v while idling. Flip trunk latch with a screwdriver with the trunk open to check, or peek thru the rear armrest.
  • Options
    didacdidac Member Posts: 1
    Any advise or suggestions or concerns from owners of this model/year? It's been very frustrating to read very bad reviews about this car. I thought Volvo cars were well made cars. Where is the battery in this car?
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Volvos are great cars, and they're very well made. Nobody ever said they were maintenance free though.
  • Options
    n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    Have you (recently) been leaving your key in the ignition while the car is parked in a locked garage? My S80 will run the battery down in an hour when the key is left in, even in the "off" position.
  • Options
    tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    The owners manual says to rotate tires each 7500 miles and to rotate front to rear and rear to front but never to criss-cross to other side. The car has 17" Michelins.

This is totally different from the recommendations for US cars I have owned. They have been to move rear tires to the front on same side and to criss-cross the front tires to the rear. Also, the US manuals say the first rotation should be at 4-5000 miles, then at 6-8000 mile intervals.

I haven't called the dealer to ask if they follow the manual. It seems very few Volvo owners do any of their own maintenance based on the reactions to questions posed to the service dept. I have always done all oil/filter changes and tire rotations. I would bet the tire shops do not follow Volvo's recommendations on tire rotation.

Would appreciate any comments on tire rotation procedures and intervals. I had planned to rotate at 5000 miles until seeing the 7500 mile recommendation without any mention of the first one.
  • Options
    volvo9980volvo9980 Member Posts: 3
    Battery drain did not happen in the past one week. Not sure what caused it. Planning to go to the dealer to get Alternator checked.
    We have been very happy with S80 for the past three years plus.

Thanks for your suggestions.
  • Options
    Sometimes when I turn the key in the ignition the key turns a full rotation before going to the normal start position. Before I get the owner's manual out of the glove box, has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.
  • Options
    newvolvogirlnewvolvogirl Member Posts: 2
    Interested in '04 S80 "retired loaner" w/ 6K miles. Dealer only offering $1500 f/ depreciation. Has come down to $31K. Good deal? Using invoice of $38K, less $5K dealer incentive, less $1500 f/ depreciation. I feel they should offer more (around $3K f/ dep). Am I correct in thinking this? Any advice is appreciated! Dealer won't even consider Edmunds TMV of $36K.
  • Options
    Dealer has given you everything he has.
    6000 miles @ .20/mile is $1200.
    If Edmunds TMV is 36,000 and your getting it for $31000 be happy.
  • Options
    newvolvogirlnewvolvogirl Member Posts: 2
    for your input. I'm looking under Edmunds' True Cost to Own (Depreciation) is listed as $8092 for 1st year. Also, IRS tax rates allow $.29/mile. I'm not in a huge hurry to buy, so I will probably wait until the 2005's come out & pick up an '04 then. Again, thanks.
  • Options
    New-V-girl,

V-max is right once again. Rejoice, the dealer has given you all they have. You could get what Edmunds considers a good deal at $31K. I was able to pick up a 'fresh' non-demo '04 2.9 for a almost three grand under Eddie's TMV about 8 thou under sticker. Mine depreciates that same 8-grand this year too. If you consider depreciation it's always a loosing battle, cars aren't a good investment.

The point of my response is to point out that while you'll be getting a good price on a practically new vehicle with almost a full factory warranty (44K left), you aren't bridging the depreciation gap but are still doing better than your average new car buyer with the additional discount. I'm assuming this is either a T-6 or 2.9 as there are no incentives on the 2.5T. If it's a T-6 it may hold value better than our 2.9 as that engine is now out of production.

Favorable financing may be a deciding factor if you can find a bank or CU that offers 3.9%/60, who knows if that'll happen again. Best of luck, keep us (I almost said abreast but that wouldn't be appropriate considering your gender) aware of your decision as maybe we can advise. Happy New Year!