Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    3 unreliable minivans? That's kind of strange. Don't take this the wrong way but, maybe you should get rid of it and get a Honda or Toyota. You had another post in which you felt the MPV certainly should not be in the same league as the Honda or Toyota. So maybe that's what you should do.

The other thing to remember is that the check engine light could be malfunctioning. I've had that happen on a previous car. It was certainly annoying. The thing never went out. It did get resolved though. The vehicle never ran poorly either so I assumed that the light was malfunctioning. I'm not one to panick when one of the lights come on. Certainly if the car was running rough or not running at all but just because it comes on doesn't mean there is something wrong with the car.

I'm sorry you're having issues with your MPV. As in any vehicle, Toyota and Honda included, things can and do go wrong. I wouldn't go so far as to state that all MPV's are junk. Most of us are having very good luck with ours.

Leslie
  • Options
    lincicumlincicum Member Posts: 1
    Looking for input on a good Mazda dealer in this area. We are looking to buy soon and would like to hear any positive or negative experiences in this area.
    Thanks
    Deb L
  • Options
    jy61jy61 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. We're considering buying an '03 MPV LX. Currently, we drive a '96 Camry, which has required very little maintenance over the years, other than routine stuff.

What has been people's experience with the MPV? I've seen a lot of positive remarks, and some vocal negative comments, on this board. Reliability (and safety) is probably my top issue.

Thanks.
  • Options
    lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
    go for it, you will not be disappointed. If you are however more conservative type and don't mind the wait, just get the Sienna CE and you will have no regrets that you switched the brand you had good experience with. We have on our 2002 ES MPV almost 8k and had no problems except that fog lights recall (no big deal, just a bit of a time waster). We had owned used '97 Protégé for three years and had no problems with it. If you need more input, there is another site about MPV, but I can't mention it here, just do some search on the net and you might find it. Also check Edmunds consumer ratings 9.1 pretty good I would think.
  • Options
    mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    I believe there is 36 months warranty not 24 on 2002. So you would have 12 months to go.

mazda guy
  • Options
    Actually if you are talking about mileage warranty
    "van has 24k miles..warranty good for another 6,000 miles, and I'm worried."
    the 2002 has 50000 miles warranty, so you not even half way through yet mariaj3.
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    B/c your issues should be being covered under the Powertrain Warranty, which is a 60mth gig. Bumper-to-Bumper warranty was for 36mths/50k miles, on a 2002 MPV, so if it's an early 2002, you'd still be under warranty in many ways.

However, if you're thinking about ditching an almost new vehicle just because the CEL came on a few times... that's something in and of itself. Your issues really are very minor, imho, because you haven't have a key component failure, but mainly some minor inconvenience, and you cannot expect any vehicle, no matter how much you pay for it, to be 100% reliable. Consider the tens of thousands of individual parts that make your vehicle operate, and one part failed, and another item had to be programmed, after 24k miles of service. I don't know what your current CEL issue is... possibly a gas cap that's not tightened properly... but I hope it's minor as well, and it probably is.

I heartily doubt that you'll have much better 'reliability' with any other vehicle than you have had w/your MPV, b/c it's nothing like a lemon. Go and buy a Honda Odyssey and then worry about premature transmission failures, or inoperable power doors, or persistant fluid leaks that cannot be fixed... or go buy a Dodge van, and pray that you don't have to have 2 or three new transmissions in the life of your warranty period (and their warranty is another intersting subject). Or a Kia van (shudders at the thought). I saw a Kia Sedona's rear wheel assembly completely sheer off in traffic a couple of weeks ago. Some part in the spindle broke. Thank goodness they were going slow at the time or someone might have gotten hurt.

HTH!
  • Options
    acenjacenj Member Posts: 58
    Folks,

I have a 2000 ES w/ 68000 trouble free miles. Couple of things - the CEL just came on, dealer tells me it may be from the fuel cap not being tight, not sure if others have heard the same.

Secondly, my biggest gripe about this car is regarding the seat belts. Putting car seats in the middle row is a PIA because the seat belt sockets in the seats point forward, and the belts are usually comming from the rear (know what I mean?). Also, I've had some fraying of the 3rd row seat belts from dropping the 3rd row seat.

All in all, the van's been great. The size was perfect for us, and the vans been very reliable. I just got hte bug for a new sienna now that it has a fold flat 60/40 rear seat (great idea!) but don't want to take the major hit in resale with the high mileage.

ANyway, anyone with a comment / solution on teh belts let me know.

thx.

Aceman
  • Options
    There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for 2000 MPVs for this very situation. The TSB # is 08-001/01. I can't promise you that the dealer will do it for free, but it should take them about an hour to retrofit one seat. Basically, it changes the angle that the buckle receptor maxes out at. Newer MPVs already have this done to them.

/java
  • Options
    crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Capitol Lincoln-Mercury-Mazda in Cary has, so far, been good to me. I purchased my MPV when they were located at a smaller dealership in Apex. That was sold and they moved down the road. I was afraid service might suffer (only oil, filter, and rotations), but I've been pleased--free coffee in the waiting room. I can't speak for the buying experience at this dealer, but it's probably just as nasty as anywhere else. Al Smith Buick-Mazda in Raleigh has been around forever, and they may have their own body shop, but I didn't like a shopping trip there once, so I didn't go back. Good luck, and welcome to the southern part of heaven.
  • Options
    ltswinltswin Member Posts: 10
    Hi there,

Laura here, new MPV owner. Remember me? Very happy with my van so far. I can't stop driving it!!! It already has 200 miles on it and its only a week old.

Anyway, we have noticed that when we turn it off (I live in Florida by the way), that we hear a sizzle sound like when you drop water onto a hot burner on an oven. Is that normal? I was thinking it could be condensation from something?

We took it to the dealer today and he said that since it is a new vehicle that the engine expands and retracts so it could be hitting the liquid that is coming off the coolant and that this sound is typical in new cars. He said it should go away within 1000 miles. Also, he did say that the burning smell that I complained about is totally normal with new cars.

Can you tell I have never owned a new car? LOL

Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Laura
  • Options
    This may sound like a cop-out, but with every new vehicle, you have to get used to new sounds. Your hissing may just be the HVAC system shutting down, or exhaust manifold or it's heat shields contracting. Do you also hear it ticking? When I got my sedan, I had to get used to all of the servos and strange wirring noises it's systems made, and I remember having to get used to the sound of the power steering pump and the A/C and defrost systems on the MPV when we first brought it home.

I was going to ask you where your neighbor's cat was, but... <runs>
  • Options
    acenjacenj Member Posts: 58
    Javadoc,

Thanks a bunch for the info!
    Now I'll try and get the dealer to cover it.

Aceman
  • Options
    scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    We have it. It's A/C condensation water hitting something hot.
  • Options
    From another place it seems like it's normal if it hits the exhaust it makes the noise, it should not be dripping on the catalytic converter, in that case one guy got extension drip hose installed by dealership. Thought I don't know how to tell if the catalytic converter is being hit by the drain.
  • Options
    edog11edog11 Member Posts: 12
    Recently, my 2000 MPV with 42,300 miles has sputtered on acceleration. The next day it sputtered on acceleration, rough idle, sputtered/drove rough while cruising. It drove so rough the CEL came on steady, then flashed, then back to steady as I drove it to the nearest mechanical shop that I some what trust. Closest dealer is 20 miles away. Unfortunately, the basic warranty expired in Jun 2003. Are the symptoms I listed signs of the PCV system? The early diagnosis I received from the computer reading is the #4 and #6 is misfiring. After changing the plugs and ignition coil the van drove fine for 30 minutes, then the sputtering came back. The van is still in the shop. Any feedback is appreciated.
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Some questions first before I lead you into never-never land...
    Were the two subject plugs actually fouled - did you get to look at them? Did you happen to stop "not" at your regular gas station out of curiousity? Since it's in the shop did anyone look at the fuel injectors?
    Bad sparky wires? Since it ran fine for 30 minutes after the ignition coil change out 'kinda' indicates an electrical problem if not the fuel.
    Probably have to get that '03 now that you've been wanting....
    (Ok, ok, that was the expensive way out)
  • Options
    edog11edog11 Member Posts: 12
    I didn't get to take a look at the bad plugs, but I did get the van back today. You were right, it was the spark plug wires. I drove the van around all evening and it rides just fine. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Interesting problem with MPV 03 6500 miles. The EC light would come on and go out then 10 days later it came on again and would not go out. Took it to Holiday Mazda in Fond du Lac Wi. They found three error codes. One was a leak in the recirculator system (???) two was a flaky switch in the PRNDL switches (Replaced) three was a code for updating computer. Everything was corrected. Took about three hours and service was excellent. Got a ride home and picked me up when finished. These dudes know their business. For wisconsin fans Holiday Mazda is a fantistic place to get your MPV checked out and serviced. Warrenty covered all costs... The geese are heading south guess we will join them and head home to Phoenix..
    Love our PEE VEE...
    Tj
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Just as I suspected.
    We live close (if not directly under) a fly-way for geese headed south over Texas. I hear them at night in the late fall calling "Fond-du-Lac, Fond-du lac...".
    Maybe that was after a martini or two...ahem...

It's always nice to hear about a dealer who cares about customers. And when you find out what the "recirculator system" is - fill us in.
    :))
  • Options
    This is a system that recycles the gas fumes from the tank. As I understand it??? This is why a loose gas cap will cause the ec light to come on.
    We made it home to PHX. The passing power of the MPV saved our lives. I was passing a semi, not a car in sight for miles when a pickup popped onto the road from some trees in a farm field. I punched the engine and passed the semi at 100mph. We made it with plenty of room to spare. I figured that if we did a head on we didn't want to live through it. The Duratec is the finest engine I have ever driven. It runs smooth as turbine with fantistic power better than any super V8 I have driven. US54 across Kansas, Okla, Texas is a good road but it will test your car and driving skills.
    The MPV ran perfectly. The handling was great. We were crossing Albuquerque on I40 cruising at 70 when the traffic stopped. The MPV brakes brought us to a perfect smooth stop on a dime with 4 cents change. No skid, no muss or fuss just some brown spots on my shorts.
    The trip down I17 to PHX was the usuall nightmare. Trucks moving down 6-7% grades(7000ft to 1000ft) at 25 with cars passing at 80 on 65mph curves. The MPV was heavly loaded so I didn't push my luck. But on the steep hills the engine did great. I was a nervous wreck when we reached the bottom. I turned it over to DW to get us home. Nasty road, I-17....

The MPV is a fantistic Traveling car, can't imiagine a better car anywhere.....
    Love our PEE VEE
    Tj
  • Options
    I agree, the engine in the MPV is great. I have had situations on the highway and my MPV moves. Also, the braking is very good. I drove under braked chevies for years. Use to have dreams of not being able to stop in time. The MPV stops on a dime. My husband still isn't use to the brakes on the MPV and tends to be hard on the brakes. He doesn't drive it as much as I do.

At almost 10k I can still claim no problems with my MPV.

Zoom-Zoom!

Leslie
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    18,200 miles on the DW's 02 LX. Not one complaint.
  • Options
    sidiggiesidiggie Member Posts: 19
    We've had our 2002 MPV since April 2002. From day one it has had a terrible sulfur smell. Mazda initially told us it was part of the normal break-in process and it would go away. We have 22,000 miles and the smell is still terrible. I'm half way through drafting my lemon law arbitration complaint. My advice to any one thinking about purchasing a MPV is stay away- if you get one of the stinky ones you will be sorry.
  • Options
    Our 03 LX had a tiny smell when we first got it only when cabin air was internal. I think it was due to the plastic air ducts curing. It didn't smell like exhust. Now at 7K miles there is no smell at all.
    Love our PEE VEE
    Tj
  • Options
    Is it me or are the most complaints on the sulfur smell coming from those who own '02's and older? I don't have that odor at all. I had normal break in odors on my '03 but those went away long ago. It's a mystery to me and apparently to those who own MPV's with this odor. It's too bad that this smell is causing some folks to give the MPV a bad rapp.

Leslie
  • Options
    Just to start, I was reading in your previous post that the Shell is the worse on the smell. With our '02 we never had that smell. My last fill-up now is the Shell for the first time ever (almost 8k on the van). I noticed that I smelled some slight stink.

You should try other gasoline and see if the smell goes away, try some off-brands too. If the smell doesn't go away, persist at your service that you want them to check your catalytic converter (might be bad). If they are less than cooperative, try another service.
  • Options
    mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    I'm sorry, but it is not true that MPV in general has sulfur problem. It has not. It is an exception. Also it is not true that the smell is exclusively MPV problem. I noticed smell on many new cars such as Cadillac, Nissan Quest, Acura TL, Toyota Avalon, Honda Odyssey and few more. So, the bottom line is if you have bad luck no matter what kind of car you buy you can get a lemon.

I also think that getting rid of the car you don't like, is much easier and cheaper than going trough a litigation process.

mazda guy
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    There have been numerous posts on the Toyota Corolla board about this problem in the '03 models. Owners who use low-sulfur gas reported that it takes care of the problem. If low-sulfur gas is available in your area, you should try that before giving up hope.

As far as it being a general problem with the MPV, I remember several posts about the problem going back awhile (at least a year), but not much recently. That backs the hypothesis that the problem has been corrected in the '03s.
  • Options
    Really, the sulfur issue is prevalent with many different new car models, and like Backy said, it's really a geographic issue, with the sulfur-content of the fuel that you can buy at your local pumps.

For instance, I recently test drove an S60R, and it had the issue on the first test drive I had, with only 42 miles on the odometer. Then, a couple of weeks later, I test drove it again, now with over 100 miles on it... no boquet de sulfur. I asked the salesman if they'd put fuel in the car yet, and he said that they had just refilled the tank at a local station. Before that it had fuel from where ever the car was originally filled (probably at Port).

I also found the same issue with some other minivans that I have driven recently. The vehicles with 'Port' fuel had the sulfur smell, almost 100% of the time, while a vehicle that had local pump fuel didn't. We have pretty low sulfur content, and I can only assume that the fuel that was in the vehicles originally was not. of course, this isn't scientific, but does maybe show that this isn't an MPV issue, but a fuel quality issue.
  • Options
    dannyp3dannyp3 Member Posts: 2
    Got this 2002 mpv in oct,02 which was a vibrator steering + body vibrates like a wheel will come out at 65 mph and over, was in dealer 3 times, balance the wheels and told me there is nothing wrong,and it will go away. now has 15000 miles and still vibrates(a vibrator) I want to a goodyear,told me i had bad tires.Changed all tires to michelin mx4 . the van was smooth no vibration. I than had a rotor work done at the dealer. now i experience the van wanders. Did the suspension took a beating by driving it 15000 miles with bad tires.

ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED
  • Options
    owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    I had the same problem with my MPV and it was not cured until I took my vehicle to a tire shop with a Hunter 9000 series wheel balancing machine. The Hunter, as many MPV owners will attest, is the only machine good enough to balance out the tires and get rid of the vibration. I'll bet that the machine that the dealer used was not a Hunter ;^)

I don't think the suspension was hurt at all and you are still under warranty. However, a full 4-wheel alignment would be prudent if you haven't already.

As for the Michelins, keep the board posted on your experience. I'd rather get longer wearing tires than the relatively short life of the Dunlops. My 90 Aerostar with 200,000 miles is only on its third set of Michelins in 13 years and the current set has plenty of miles left.

RBB
  • Options
    tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Couple of comments about my 03 MPV with 14K miles on it.

MPG constantly around 20 MPG around town.

Engine seems noisy at idle. Can really hear the lifters clacking...told it was the eternal "normal" deal by dealer...hope so.

Tranny shifting hard: Getting more prominent as car gets more miles on it. Between first and second gear there has been this clunking/hard shifting. Passengers have remarked "what was that?" since it jerks the MPV so bad..like I hit something! Anyone have this same issue with there JADCO tranny? Thought these were suppose to be so great. Getting more like my old DC minivan feel all the time and that's not a good thing!!;-(( Thanks for comments and help.
  • Options
    If it is possible to reproduce, they might reflash your tranny, that might help you.
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    The noise is the fuel injectors, not lifters. All MPV's with the 3.0 have the noise. Can't hear it with the hood closed. Nothing to be concerned with.

Ask to have the TCM re-flashed.

Mark. : )
  • Options
    Our MPV engine is quite as a turbine. My only complaint, is that it is too quite at idle. When I first got it I would hit the starter thinking the engine had quit. I check the tach now. It has never died, but I guess I have had too many American clunkers, old habits die hard...

Tj
    P.S. Sounds like you need to have the computer updated especially if you have one of the first builts.... Ours is a last built...
  • Options
    big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Your shifting problems sounds like the "flare" problem that has had a TSB issued. My MPV has the same issue. I plan on bringing it in to have the service done soon.
  • Options
    foersterfoerster Member Posts: 1
    Hi all-

Haven't posted in a long time -- like soon after we purchased our 2000 MPV in 2001! Still in love with my "Mama-mobile"! Would get another one in a heartbeat!

We are experiencing the "sticky throttle" issue now with our 2000 MPV. I cruised through the archives, and see other MPV owners have experienced the same issue. When I called the dealer today, the service manager indicated "Mazda is aware of the throttle sticking, but haven't been able to come up with a fix". He also indicated Mazda is not considering this a warranty issue, but rather a maintenance issue.

So, questions:

1. Anybody seen any service bulletins/advisories Mazda has issued regarding this issue?

2. Refresh my failing memory -- which governmental agency is responsible for auto safety, recalls, etc?

3. Anyone know if this is subject to a "secret" warranty by Mazda?

It seems to me this is a safety issue -- albeit it does tend to disappear once the vehicle is warmed up. . . .I keep thinking about how I want this to appear to a jury. . . .

TIA,

Laura
  • Options
    rdworski1rdworski1 Member Posts: 20
    I have had my Mazda MPV for less than a month and it has started to shift hard from 2nd to 3rd gear. Is this common and what would cause it? Thank you.
  • Options
    NOTICE No: MT000003925
    MODEL: Mazda MPV YEAR: 2002-2003
    AFFECTED VINs: N/A
    SUBJECT: 2-3 Shift Flare/Slippage
    DETAILS:

Symptoms and Conditions:

There may be a 2-3 shift flare (slippage or large increase in RPM during the 2-3 upshift). This condition is only for the 2-3 shift and can occur when the engine is cold or at operating temperature.

Repair Procedure:
    Make sure the ATF level is correct. Prepare the vehicle for a road test.
    From a stop with the shift selector in the '3' position, accelerate vehicle at full throttle to confirm a shift from 2nd to 3rd gear.
    Note: When the shift selector is in the '3' position, the transaxle will start in 2nd gear and shift one time to 3rd gear only.
    If there is a 2-3 shift flare or slippage during the 2-3 UPSHIFT, re-flash the Tranmssion Control Module (TCM) or swap a TCM from a known good vehicle. Refer to Service Bulletin No: 05-011/02 for TCM re-flash procedure. If the TCM does not repair the shift concern, replace the control valve body assembly.

Caution:

When replacing the valve body assembly, be careful to re-install the two small O-rings between the valve body and main case. If one or both of the O-rings are left out, the transaxle may have no movement in any shift selector position.

Parts Information:

FP01-19-750 (control valve assembly)
    MT02-K2-001 (TCM Flash Kit. Order from MSTORE)
    CONSUMER NOTICE:
    The information and instructions in this notice are intended for use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper tools/equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers." Consumers should not assume this notice applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop the described concern. To determine if the information applies, consumers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership.
  • Options
    dlmc4dlmc4 Member Posts: 26
    We purchased a new 03 LX in mid July. About 3 weeks ago the occasional hard shifting started up. After the 3rd time it happened, we started documenting every time we experienced this issue. It is happening between 2nd & 3rd gear when the van is at normal temperature. We have about 4 documented times in the last 500 miles. Our plan was to bring it to the service dept. attention at our next oil change. We figured that we would get the old "can't duplicate the problem" because it is happening so intermittently. Now we have this to bring in. Thank you rdworski1 and lazyfox for taking the time. It is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    My 2000 MPV LX seems to have noisy valves / lifters. Starts up fine but then clicking starts. It isn't constant. Car runs fine but I don't know if this is something that gets worse and then becomes a problem or it's just a nuisance or what. I'd appreciate any views, including whether it's time to move on to another van, and whether other owners have this problem. I searched the board but didn't find many references to valves or lifters. Thanks.
  • Options
    It could be that you have a lifter that is sticking. My '95 Villager always made that clicking noise when it first was warming up. They thought it was a lifter that was sticking and treated it so. It turns out that the lifter was on its way out and at 103k on the odometer, to us it wasn't worth fixing it.

Good luck.

Leslie
  • Options
    lyndamarielyndamarie Member Posts: 12
    Our 2003 ES is 8 months old, 11K and is great. No sulphur smell, decent MPG 20/26, and its fun to drive. (I put 87 octane in the thing, I ping with 85 octane - in Colorado)

Only problem is that my DH thinks he can drive it too! **And I wonder why the kids come home and keep saying "zoom, zoom" after riding with Daddy???)**
  • Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Local mechanic said clicking could be any one of a number of things... so off to Mazda we go. Hope it's not a real big problem. It's clicking coming from the front but he doesn't think it's the engine valves. Could be tie rod clicking, etc., and of course those were replaced by Mazda in trying to fix the clicking from the brakes.
  • Options
    I had my TCM reflashed and the problem is still there. We will have to move on to step 2. I love the van but I'm really disappointed that there are already transmission issues popping up.
  • Options
    tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Well, after going thru 13 years of tranny problems with Chrysler vans, I'm making my first visit to the local MPV dealer this week for that service bulletin on my 2003. They seemed to be very nice and totally understood the issue of the jerky shifting. Takes TWO DAYS for them to make the fix. I guiltied them out of a loaner for the two days too! Darn, I hope this isn't the same old crap again. Why can't they make an auto tranny that holds up after making them for 50 years!;-| I'll let you folks know where this goes from here. I still love this van, but this is bringing back nightmares again.
  • Options
    They are now telling me that my vin # doesn't apply to the prior mentioned service bulletin. There is apparently a different TCM refresh that Mazda is in the process of developing. It should be available in a week or two. Hopefully that one works. If not, they get one more shot before the lemon law applies. Boy, I hope I don't have to go down that road.
  • Options
    chris209chris209 Member Posts: 3
    I don't know if this will help but i just bought my mpv last night and signed up for "mymazda" on mazdausa.com Apparently if you enter your VIN # they will keep you abreast of any "service bulletins/advisories " ?
  • Options
    cards_200cards_200 Member Posts: 44
    2000 MPV (63 K miles) -

Took MPV to the dealer for routine coolant flush. The charge $120 shocked me - included in this was $27 + $14 for parts ("Cooling F" and "Coolant"). Now I have noticed a coolant leak in my garage. Perhaps on order of half cup. It seems to be coming from unit on driver side front (aprox. under battery).

What should a routine coolant flush cost? Is this 'unit' that appears to be leaking the water pump? I thought water pumps were always on the drive belt side of the engine? Is there any way the water pump can be damaged on the flush? Perhaps overpresurized on the flush? If this is water pump, what will it cost to replace? Because I bet dealer tells me a story that it was bad when I came in. If not water pump - what is unit on left. Appears that the water hoses off radiator go in that direction.

Any insight to help me prepare for dealer is greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.