Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Intrepid

1616263646567»

Comments

• Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    edited April 2012
    I'm not a mechanic, but my sources say the PCM or Powertrain Control Module is under the air box. You'll see it next to the frame rail by the engine. You might want to check all the fuses to see if that could be the problem.
  • Options
    mrhodenmrhoden Member Posts: 2
    RUN RUN RUN away from it I just bought one it is a nightmare won't start, won't stay running when it does, gauges go nuts transmission won't shift at times and there is a recall om the floor shifter park/ignitions, BE AFRAID
  • Options
    mrhodenmrhoden Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 99 Intrepid the car does crazy things, 8 times out of ten won't start won't stay running when it does start, the other day after 5 hours of not starting the speedometer didn't work gas needle flipping up and down and would not shift, and all of sudden down shifted hard and every thing went normal, next day would not start again, Replaced cham censor and auto shut down relay still no fix, there is recall on the floor park shifter/ignition device any suggestions?
  • Options
    djrnewcastledjrnewcastle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid. I love the car, never had a problem. it has 117,000 miles on it. Went out one morning to run some errands and it was running great. Later that afternoon went back out & and got an immediate check engine light. Ran the scanner on it, got a P0203, The #3 fuel injector. Bought new fuel injectors, tested it by hooking to battery and it sprayed. Put everything back together, changed plugs, tested coils, cleared the error message with the scanner... Same problem, Engine light, P0203. Thought maybe it was the pigtail. Took it apart again, put a new pigtail on it, Cleared the code....and DANG, P0203!! Finally did something that I should have done in the beginning and saved myself the headache.. Tested the continuity... No Problem there. So now my guess it is the PCM. Local dealership said they could program a pcm for $75, Which I am willing to pay but not sure if I should take mine out and have them try to RE-Flash program it or go to the yard and pull one. Dealership said it needed to be an exact match for it to work while others said that there were a couple of interchangeable. Thoughts :sick: :sick: and help please... Tired of running on 5 cylinders. Thanks!
  • Options
    tkfitz1tkfitz1 Member Posts: 36
    Three years and no posts....tells me something. I finally said goodbye to my old 2000 Intrepid. 15 years, and about 250000 miles and she was totaled. Hit from the side so hard that the dashboard got bent over, windshield smashed etc.....A good old strong girl-I was fine. She will be missed. The original drive train ran like a top. She still gave me 30 mpg, and was a great comfy commuter. Too bad it had to end this way.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    On a whim, I thought I'd pop in here and see if there was any sort of activity left. I lost my 2000 Intrepid on November 18, 2009, when someone did a hit and run on it while it was unattended in the parking lot. While the damage wasn't that bad, at the age and mileage (about 150,000), it was enough to total it out. So, alas, I let it go. I wanted to try and fix it up, but the insurance company said that if I did that, I'd have to get it inspected within a few months, and would only get a "salvage" title for it, so I couldn't keep full coverage on it, and if it got wrecked again, even if it was the other driver's fault, I'd get essentially nothing for it. So, I decided to let it go.

I do still miss that car sometimes. It was the first new car I bought. I replaced it with a 2000 Park Avenue Ultra, that only had about 56,000 miles on it. That car didn't age well though. While the engine and driveline were great, it developed all sorts of electronic/electrical problems, brake problems, suspension problems, issues with the electronic level-ride or whatever they called it. It was pretty much shot around 114,000 miles, in 2016.

I had bought a 2012 Dodge Ram, at the end of the model year, which was my second new vehicle purchase. It was a spare vehicle at first, but when the Park Avenue crapped out, the Ram became my primary. My Dad died in 2017, and I inherited his 2003 Regal, and I'm still using that as my daily driver now. Or, whatever daily driving there is these days, with COVID and work from home and such.

In 2019, I went to the fall swap meet in Carlisle PA, and someone had a really pristine 1994 Intrepid for sale. I'll admit, I was a bit tempted. I know those early models could be troublesome, but this one was somewhat basic, with the 3.3. I've heard it was mainly the 3.5 that had issues with stuff like the water pump, head gaskets and such, and its added power stressed out the transmission. I don't think the 3.3 had any particular trouble spots, and didn't put as much strain on the transmission.

It's kind of weird though, to think that my Intrepid has been gone now, for longer than I had it! Sometimes, it still doesn't seem that long ago.