Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• ellandryellandry Member Posts: 66
    my drivers door does the same thing. I thought it was because the weatherstripping was just not fitted to the door yet since it was so new
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The separate tweeters that others are mentioning are located above the window switches in front of the door handle.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Thanks... I thought I was gonna have to go back to the dealership for that. whew.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    In the event, God forbid, you run into something and blow the airbag, if no passenger, no deploy, no major cost to the insurance co. Gotta make them happy. And the electronics involved are really very simple, so the cost to add it is minimal.

Take it easy and enjoy the Elantra. Mine is 18 mo's old and 26K miles with great service.

Jim
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Just my periodic mileage report: I recently rolled 37K miles and the car is still my favorite. We are at 29 months. :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That's great! I was wondering, does your Elantra still have the original tires, and would you mind saying what the 30k service cost you and where you had it done?
  • gokalpsgokalps Member Posts: 10
    I currently own a 99 Accent and am planning to change it by the end of summer. 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback is one of the cars that I am interested in. I have two questions to current Elantra owners regarding the issues I have with my Accent.

1. Does the car dent easily?
    This is one of the things I am not happy with Accent and I am not sure if Hyundai is using the same body structure in all models or not.
    2. Are the seats comfortable?
    The long trips are not enjoyable with the hard seats of Accent.
    Thanks for your help!
    Hi Backy -- I replaced the tires at 35K with Dunlop SP Sport A2s. My dealer performed the 30K service (NOT the severe schedule, which I find silly), and I believe it was around $200.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    gokalps,

My 2001 GT sits under a tree most of the time under a car cover. When the nuts fall out of the tree in september they leave shallow dents in the roof. My old 94 civic did not dent under the same conditons so yes, they still dent easily.

The seats in the GT are comfortable but somewhat harder than the GLS. The GT only comes in leather. For some reason I have to take out my wallet to get fully comfortable in the drivers seat.

I rented a GLS and found the seats very comfortable. They are both great cars. I prefer the GT for the utility and sportiness.
    I second the opinion that the GLS' driver's seat is very comfortable. This is largely due to the dual-knob seat height adjuster, which allows me to set the seat cushion height independent of the seat back. There's also an adjustable lumbar support. I have not spent much time in the GTs, but I wonder if the '04s are any different from earlier models--I know the leather is different for the '04s.

As for dents, I haven't had a problem but then it doesn't spend much time under trees. It went through a nasty hailstorm and of course got several dents in the hood and roof (as many other cars did that day), but surprisingly no dents on the trunk lid. They were repaired via PDR. One thing that did happen is that a large friend of mine was adjusting a heavy trailer by hand in my driveway, and he braced himself with his free hand by putting it across the top character line on the rear door. It made quite a shallow dent, one that did require body work to fix. But I don't know that the same thing wouldn't have happened to any other compact car I've owned. (Probably wouldn't have happened to my '66 Dodge Coronet!)
  • obsidianblackobsidianblack Member Posts: 35
    Almost positive there's no chip in Elantra keys . I had a spare made when we had our's serviced which wouldn't have had a chip in it.
      Totally satisfied with the car. Hyundai has been prompt with follow up questionaires concerning service done on the car. The dealer and manufacturer both seem to be sincere, which is more than I can say about any other car bought at any other dealer.
      As far as the question asked by someone about how easily are they to dent? Don't know ANY car in the price range of the Hyundais that isn't easily dented anymore. Was never an issue with us. Luckily we haven't had any incondiderate people in the parking lots wham their car doors into us, yet. Or any wayward shopping carts slam into it, yet.
       We've had snow here this past week, so I must get to the car wsh and hose it off, especiallt under the wheel wells and underneath! Winters in Ohio and cars just don't mix!!
      So far, 100% satisfied with the car!!!
       (Still whacking my head on the trunk latch! One day maybe I'll learn!)
    Bought our son one of those modular shelf units from Home Depot that comes disassembled in a large cardboard box. We were able to fit in in thru the fold down rear seats. Was a tight fit, but without the fold down rear seats it would have been impossible!! Wish the opening from the trunk to the passenger compartment woulda been a little wider, but managed just the same.
    Just home from a weekend in Detroit (my real home) after two of us spent most of the driving time in my car. Two days including a wide variety of driving conditions, good and bad roads, heavy traffic and light (where I could really speed), and lots of additional miles due to very poor planning. But through it all, my GLS was at her best -- comfortable and quiet and nimble as ever. Have I told any of you how pleased I am? Hee hee.
    While we weren't on the road for two days, we just returned from a trip down to Kent State Univ. to visit our son. There and back is about three hours. Seems the more we drive it, the smoother the ride gets. Very quiet, too. Would love to fill up and drive it on the highway until it needed filled again, just to see what kind of mpg it'd get. No city miles at all. Bet the mpg would be close to 40. Did you happen to check it out while you were on the road? Just curious.
      Ours has around 5K miles, now. Still glad we chose black obsidian as the color. Also very pleased with ours!!!!
    Guys,

A common complaint I have been hearing and the dealer has been hearing is road noise showing up around 8-10K. Surprise, it's the michelins. Once they get a good wear in, they start getting noisier. For those of you who had them, it is much the same as the old michelin X radial that was used on a lot of large GM sedans back in the mid to late 80's. As long as the sound is steady with speed, no real problem. But if you start hearing a rrr-rrr sound that changes with speed, look over the tires really close. Can be an indication that a belt is coming loose.

Chigger (my chianti red '02) has 27K on her and while the tires are still in good shape, they have definitely gotten a lot noisier on the roads I drive. And yes, I still love this little booger and she is a HOOT to drive!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    A lot of OEM tires have very high replacement costs. Hyundai (Honda and the rest) pay next to nothing for them and Michelin sells them with the hope that you'll rip one up or be dumb enough to replace it with similar when they wear out.

I bought Uniroyal TigerPaw GT-H's for under $250 at Wal-Mart with lifetime balancing and road hazard, less than half what the OEM's would have cost. They handle better, are quieter, especially on concrete. I had hoped that I'd get more than the 40K on the originals, but it looks like they'll last about the same mileage.
    The highest gas mileage I've ever recorded in my car is what the EPA predicts: 33 mpg. But I usually drive freeways at 80 or 85 mph, and around town I am a leadfoot. BTW, black would have been my choice if a lighter grey (or a light beige!) would have been available at the time. I love black cars (but had had enough of dark interiors with the previous car).
    Bet that mileage would be higher if your speed was somewhat slower. One day I'll give it a try.
      Hate like heck to drive this new car in our horrible Ohio winters! It just tears a car apart. Snow, salt, cold, lousy highways, ugh!
      Interior on the black Elantra is gray.
      For giving the dealer an excellent feedback on a phone survey after it's initial service we got a coupon for a free oil change. If we give them a favorable report on the one that comes directly from Hyundai we get another coupon for a free oil change.
      So far the dealer and manufacturer grade out at an A+.
    For giving the dealer an excellent feedback on a phone survey after it's initial service we got a coupon for a free oil change. If we give them a favorable report on the one that comes directly from Hyundai we get another coupon for a free oil change.

Well, so much for unbiased surveys. What would they give you if you write a glowing review of the Elantra on Edmunds.com? That's gotta be worth something to them. ;-)
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Well, after a much more closer look at the new 2004 Elantra GLS, ive came to the determination that the claims of thin, softer sheet metal and
    cheap paint were unfounded. The quality seems very
    much on par with my 2001 Sentra, which is just fine.
    So, I went back into my dealer and negotiated a
    final price of exactly $14,000.00 for the 2004
    GLS, with package #3, which is the one with the
    crusie control and CD player.
    This price includes, tax, destination charge,
    etc..out the door price.
    Is this a very good deal?...should I go for it?
    Im in Princeton, NJ.
  • southpawbostonsouthpawboston Member Posts: 29
    congratulations on your decision to go for the elantra!

one question-- isn't there no sales tax in NJ?

if you were out the door for 14,000, and that included 8.5% tax like new yorkers and californians would be subject to, that would be great -- that's the equivalent of a 1k note. however, if that price includes 0% NJ sales tax, then maybe it's not so great a deal. i just checked hyundai.com and priced your car in NJ for $14389.

now if your car is an automatic, which you don't mention, THEN you got a deal (online price = 15,189)!!!
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    If this is the true out the door price, I think you've done pretty well. You are right at invoice price - rebate + applicable taxes. This is an automatic right?
    Edmunds.com's TMV calculator for a '04 GLS 5-speed with package 3, sterling (picked one), in zip 08540 (picked one) has a price before tax and license of $12,878 after the $750 rebate. For an automatic, it's $13,646. I don't know what the T&L in NJ is, but if the car is an automatic it looks like you got a very good deal. What's the total before T&L and other fees?

P.S. If you really like Sentras, I saw an ad today (Twin Cities) for a '04 1.8S for under $11k, list of $15k. Looks like Nissan may be dealing on those, but don't know about your area. The lease was $89 (!) a month, but with $2995.
    Well, next week I will go back to the dealer to
    finalize the purchase of a 2004 Elantra GLS in
    silver, with pkg 3 option. This car, by the way,
    is an automatic and yes, there is 6% sales tax in
    NJ!

I was wondering if it is a practice of Hyundai to
    try to throw in last minute charges....such as
    pushing for nonsense like glass etching, rust proofing, extended warranty, etc. Is there anything I need to watch out for when I sign all
    the papers?

Also, do you suggest doing the first oil change
    at 1500 miles? I will be taking my car to my mechanic for oil changes. The dealer charges a
    shockingly high fee of 29.99 for an oil change!
    Can you believe that? My mechanic will charge
    me 14.99 for Pennzoil 5W-30 and filter.
    It isn't a "Hyundai" practice to try to throw in add-ons, it's really depends on the dealer. If it's the average dealer, they'll ask you about rustproofing, paint sealant, extended warranty etc. etc. Just say no, if you don't want that stuff. If they give you a really good price (well under $1000 IMO) on the (Hyundai) extended warranty that might be something to consider, because it extends bumper-to-bumper coverage to 10 years/100k miles and is fully transferrable. I didn't go with it myself. Another thing you may see is an attempt to add an "advertising fee". Many Hyundai dealers (and dealers for other makes) do that in some areas (not mine fortunately). It can be a few hundred dollars. If that comes up, you should point out that the price you were quoted was a final price, which should already include any fees like that.

As for oil changes, you'll get differing opinions on the first oil change but I recall my dealer gave my Elantra a complimentary inspection and oil change at 1000 miles, so I took it. My dealer's oil changes are around $25 (Minnesota), but they often run coupon specials that bring it down under $20. I've also gotten some free oil changes when they didn't fix something the first time and I had to come back--I thought that was a nice gesture. I've found even the quick-lube places in my area charge $25-30, and I like the idea of having the same dealer do all the oil changes so that if something goes wrong, we all know who is at fault. My car only needs two oil changes a year anyway (on "severe service" schedule), so a few bucks extra is no big deal.
  • southpawbostonsouthpawboston Member Posts: 29
    quote: <<<Well, next week I will go back to the dealer to
    finalize the purchase of a 2004 Elantra GLS in
    silver, with pkg 3 option. This car, by the way,
    is an automatic and yes, there is 6% sales tax in
    NJ!>>>

okay, sine your purchase price of $14k includes the automatic AND 6% sales tax, then you really DID get quite a deal. congrats.

(is the NJ 6% tax new? i remember my mom driving to paramus all the way from upstate NY on big holiday shopping excursions just to save on sales tax).
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Curious as to why youre switching from the Sentra to the Elantra. The Elantra and Sentra wound up being at the top of my list, too, this past January when I was in the market- primarily due to the head/chest side airbags which few compacts offer. You seem happy with your Sentra, so whats the draw with the Elantra? Sentras, with the redesign about 6 mos. to a year out, are now being sold with hefty $2500 rebates. You can get a 2.5S (which is equipped slightly better than an Elantra GLS, and has standard ABS and lots more power) for $13,600 before TTL.

The Elantra is very good choice though, and I like the 2004 refresh, especially the new gauge cluster. Ultimately, I went with my Sentra because I liked the significantly increased power vs. the Elantra (and the standard alloys- tough to get alloys on a non-GT Elantra, wouldn't consider those because I dislike leather).

Best of luck!
    ~alpha

PS- are you using Brad Benson or another Hyundai dealership?
    Hi Alpha....thats a fair question to ask.
    The reason I am buying the 2004 Elantra GLS is superior ride quality and comfort! I find the
    Elantra MUCH more smoother riding than my 2001 Sentra GXE. This is primarily do to Hyundai
    using fully independent suspension, as opposed to Sentra's rigid rear beam suspension that
    results in a jarring ride and a jelly o like choppy feeling over the slightest of road bumps.

As soon as I did the test drive on the 2004 Elantra I know instantly this is a much more
    comfortable ride for daily commuting. Plus, the new Elantra is more elegant looking, dont
    you think?
    No doubt, the Elantra is definitely the better riding of the two. However, that wasnt really a big factor for me. The Elantra GLS leans over in turns to a seemingly greater degree than my parents softly sprung Camry LE, and that was a big turnoff for me. The Sentra, even for its less sophisticated suspension, seemed more controlled. Plus, like I said.. the power and ABS were important to me, and I dont like the Elantras hubcaps (certainly, subjective). If its a smoother ride youre after, the Elantra will indeed serve you well.

Best of luck!

~alpha
    FWIW, one of the things Hyundai changed on the '04 GLS was the hubcaps--a little sportier now.
    Yes Alpha. probably Brad Benson....do you have
    any thoughts or experinces with this dealer??
    I havent heard anything bad about that dealership. BUT... STAY AWAY from Freehold Hyundai in Freehold, NJ. The place is rip-off central.

Enjoy!

~alpha

PS- the new hubcaps are an improvement, IMO.
  • jbb5jbb5 Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light came on last night and I called the service department to see what I should do. They said if it remained on it was an emissions sensor and to come in and have the light turned off. Does anyone know a way to re-set (turn off) the check engine light so I do not have to waste a trip to the dealer?
    If the light came on and is staying on, resetting it will not work. It will just come back on. Did you just fill up with gas? Common issue with OBDII (the diagnostics software) is that you will get a CEL if the gas cap is not tight after filling.

Jim
    If you did just fill it up with gas, try tightening the cap 3 clicks and wait a few days to see if the light goes off (assuming there's no other signs of engine trouble). If the light doesn't go off in a few days, go see your dealer. It could be an O2 sensor or something else requiring attention.
    In preparing to finalize the purchase of the 2004
    Elantra GLS, I got a big shock. I called my insruance co (USAA) to find out what my new premium would be....its a ridiculous $306.00 more
    per year than my 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE! Can you
    believe that? My drivng record is spotless. I
    was told the Elanta has a 16 ranking, while my
    Sentra has an 8. Apparently, The Elantra is MUCH
    more expensive for repair and body work parts.

To compare, the new 2004 Mazda 3 would only be
    a 89.00 increase and the 2004 Corolla would only
    be a $15.00 increase!
    Anyone here have any suggestions? For NJ guys here, is this what you are paying??
    I wish I could comment, but I'm currently a student and part of my family's auto insurance policy, which keeps my costs down. I am thankful, b/c its its much easier for me to write a check to my parents every 6mos than to write a check for double the amount to Allstate!!!

~alpha
    The other thing that is looked at is the amount of damage that can be expected. Elantras have a 5 star safety rating for occupants, but generally crumple up a lot to accomplish that.

My '02 Elantra cost $12.5K new and insures for 20% more than my $35K '04 Yukon. Go figure.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I don't think the offset crash rating is as good as the hondas and toyotas. I think you will have to wait until the new design comes out before that will be fixed.

I think some of consumer groups have been doing some low speed impact tests and finding that some cars suffer an abnormal amount of damage from them. The elantra may be one of them.

Another possible factor for the rating is the price of the car attracts a lot of fairly new drivers which tend to have higher accident rates.

I have a 95 Civic EX coupe that I use for a work car. Even though I am over 50 and have clean record I pay $600 a year for this car. Too may street racers have crashed these cars so they have a bad rating. We pay $800 a year for the wife's 03 Accord EX which has are replacement value 3-4 times higher the civic.
    Actually, the Elantra was rated to have the best bumpers in the small car class so that can't be the problem. It averaged only $210 per 5 mph impact.
    It appears Hyundai has made some changes to the safety of the 04 Elantra and is having it retested. IIHS has taken the 01-03 Elantra off the current car list, which means they are in the process of testing the 04 model. Let's hope Hyundai has fixed the airbag and seat rail problems. If so, the Elantra may finally get the respect it deserves.
    I noted also that the NHTSA has scheduled the '04 Elantra for retesting on frontal impact, but not the side impact, indicating again that there are some significant changes warranting a retest.

Re insurance costs, the insurance for my '01 Elantra GLS is within a few dollars of my previous car, a '97 Sentra GXE. So it's beyond me why insurers in NJ would charge a lot more for the Elantra. I have Illinois Farmers insurance.
    "I noted also that the NHTSA has scheduled the '04 Elantra for retesting on frontal impact, but not the side impact, indicating again that there are some significant changes warranting a retest."

A better indicator is the IIHS. NHTSA isnt always logical in their testing. For example, the Toyota Camry is being re-tested for frontal impacts in the coming year, but there have been no modifications to the frontal airbag/restraint system/structure since the redesign. I'm not a big fan of NHTSA (can anyone else comprehend why the star rating for side impacts does not take into account head injury measures, EVEN THOUGH head injury measures are taken???? Quite Misleading if you ask me).

I am happy that the IIHS will be retesting the Elantra. Its a very good little car, and as the 01-03 structured showed, can potentially do very well in that test- just needs the minor tweaking of the airbag sensor (to mitigate risk of late deployment) and that infamous seat track.

~alpha
    The IIHS frontal offset crash test may be tougher than the NHTSA frontal crash test, but the NHTSA tests cover all passengers, not just the driver as does the IIHS test. The safety of my family and other passengers is important to me. Personally I'd like to see the '04 Elantra get a "Good" on the IIHS frontal offset test and dual 5-star ratings on the NHTSA frontal crash test.
    "The IIHS frontal offset crash test may be tougher than the NHTSA frontal crash test, but the NHTSA tests cover all passengers, not just the driver as does the IIHS test."

The only other passenger that is reflected by NHTSA is the front passenger. In the offset test, which is more demanding of structure and only deforms the driver's side, there is no reason to believe that passengers wouldnt perform quite well in all cars, as demands on the restraint systems are less than in the NHTSA full frontal, and structurally, not much happens on the front passenger side in the offset collision. In the one scenario I have seen where this wasnt true, IIHS noted it in the ratings (Chevy Blazer). Statistically, you are much more likely to have some type of offset collision than you are to have a full frontal collision. Yes, "Good-Best Pick" and dual 5 stars is IDEAL. But, I'd happily take a "Good-Best Pick" and dual 4 star car. Heck even cars that are rated "Acceptable", most of the time, its non-life threatening leg injuries that knock the rating down.

The IIHS has introduced a much more dynamic side impact test, which offers protection information for driver and left rear passenger, and this will be the test that forces automakers to start seriously thinking about offering head protection airbags as well as side thoracic bags.

~alpha
    The only other passenger that is reflected by NHTSA is the front passenger.

Are you sure about that? Then why does the NHTSA give scores for the rear seat on cars so equipped?

I agree the IIHS side test is a good thing, but they are being very slow about getting results out--only a handful of test results so far. The NHTSA side tests are at least available for most cars.
    Well, im still in the process of deciding on the
    2004 Elantra GLS, pkg 3 option.

Since I am short on cash, what are you thoughts
    on during a 3 year lease, will the absolute intention of buying after 3 years?? This way, I
    can have a much lower downpayment and monthly
    payment, without depleting my savings. If I
    know for sure I will buy at the 3 year end,
    mileage or diposition fee will not be an issue.
    I have 3 months left on my current lease with
    my 2001 Sentra GXE. After my Hyundai dealer
    appraised my car, they agreed to buy my car from
    Chase Auto and sell it on their used car lot. They
    will make the last 3 payments with Chase. Of course, there will be no disposition fee or overage mile charge. Since my car is in perfect
    condition with upgrades, they can sell it and make a profit.

What do you think of this whole deal?

Thanks!
    When we got coverage on our Elantra, it was listed on the policy as a GLS/GT. I told them it wasn't a GT, and they told me it goes by the VIN #, to which I said, "huh?" I can't recall right now how much our premium is , but I'll look it up and let you know. I was always under the assumption that as soon as you say "GT', your premiums got up. They tried to pacify me by saying there'd be no difference $-wise. Not much I can do. Our homeowners and all our cars are with the same company and they'd been very good all these years. After reading all these horror insurance stories, I thought I'd pass that on to you, too.
    While it does sound as if it's "bribery", I can honestly say I can give the dealer an excellent rating. I've had no complaints so far. Hey, maybe I should mention to them the glowing reports I've given them on Edmunds.com! Might be worth another oil change!!
      Believe me, if there was a problem with service, they'd know about it!!
    You may indeed be right in the Sentra vs Elantra. "Different strokes for different folks." I do think you unfairly judge the handling of the Elantra as compared to a CamryLE. It's a car that lists for what, $10K more?! More of a fair comparison there would be against a Civic. As for "alloy wheels", they may look cool, but I've had problems with them vs steel rims, as well as hearing others with problems, too. ie: air leaks around the bead.
      Again, all of this is purely subjective. Please don't take it as a personal attack!! As I said, "different strokes for different folks."
       I have no idea, maybe you know. What's the Sentra warranty look like?