Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Around this time last year, people were complaining about the new Camry. Folks said it wouldn't sell, it was ugly and that no one would want it. Well, guess what?? The Camry is again the number one selling car so far this year. The styling may be bland as a pound cake, but it's selling. Those same people (me included) who though the new Camry was ugly are starting to consider it because actually the sytling has "grown on us" I've got my eye on a Camry SE I4 with 5spd manual. I wouldn't have dared to say that this time last year. It was all about the Altima. Right now the Altima may look great, but can we be so sure that in about 5 years when trends have changed that the Altima will still look as good. Accords may be bland and boring, but the styling the have, which has really been an evolution since day one, will always look clean an up to date. That is all
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    My post was in no way snotty (which yours was), and I was just comparing the two cars as you did. Who do you think you are, and where do you get off assuming I haven't driven a Civic such as yours? FYI, one of my best friends has the EXACT car you speak of, (a 99 Civic LX .. would you like to check the VIN since you feel that I have no credibility?) and yes, once it hits 6000 RPM its peppy, a shame that its hard to reach that without seeming absurd merging out of the local Walmart. "I also said it wasn't any faster than the Civic getting to 60, and that's still true." Did you time them? Can you prove your statement? As far as I know, the closest you will come to finding acceleration testing for the two is only with manual trannys for the current models. For what its worth, Motor Trend recently got 7.9 to 60 for the Corolla CE and mid eights for the Civic LX. I dont really put much credo in that measure anyway, but hey you brought it up.

Listen, Im just here to talk about cars, especially ones I have driven. Thats why you dont see me posting like mad on BMW threads. If you want to be adult and argue a point, be my guest. But dont accuse people based on assumptions.

~alpha
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    actually, it's only the fanatics who really object to the accord's new styling. it's not good enough that these fanatics don't care for the looks, but they can't comprehend that other people might disagree with them unless they're honda core loyalists. just say you don't care for the looks and save the B.S. analysis.
  • Options
    jguojguo Member Posts: 49
    It seems to me the new accord is going to be a big hit, and it's making its haters really nervous. Just a few picture of the cars was released, none of us even had the chance to see the car in real life yet, but we have been repeately told that it's "not a fantastic design" or "very boring". Never mind that the fact that looks is purely subjective. It's easy to predict that for the next five years, the haters will continue to bash the styling of the accord, since they seem to have a hard time finding any other fault, perceived or otherwise. So bash away...

I won't be the buyer of the new accord, because I still like my 98. However my parents like the new styling (call them crazy), and they will be in the market for a V6 in December. My only wish is that the demand for the new accord V6 won't out pace the supply, like so many other current honda products.
  • Options
    jud95accordjud95accord Member Posts: 58
    I was just wondering if anybody knows what colors the new Accord will come in? I am ready to trade in my sage green metallic 95 ex and have waited 6 months to see the new accord.
  • Options
    stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    parnola:
    I also have been checking around for a good replacement for when the Michelins wear out on our '01 EX V6. The AVS db's got very high marks when they came out, but some owners on Tire Rack's website have complained that after 10-20,000 miles they got very noisy. That may be a function of the rim size or the suspension geometry of the particular model of car. Let us know in a year or so if the AVS db's are still quiet; I'll be looking for new tires at about that time. The other ones on my "short list" are Bridgestone RE 950's and Dunlop SP Sport A2's.
  • Options
    The new V6 Accord looks (well not its styling) awesome, and your parents should sign up for one now, since as you said, with Honda, demand often outpaces supply. I really feel that, styling issues aside, the new Accord V6 will blow away comparable V6 sedans. I'm looking forward to tests on both the V6 and the 4s... but we might not see tests on the 4s very soon... seeing as how even Car and Driver, an enthusiast mag for the mainstream has failed to examine the Camry and Altima 4s as yet.
    What is the speculation on MSRP for a fully loaded EX V6 5sp auto?
    ~alpha
  • Options
    Desert Mist replaces Naples Gold
    Redondo Red Replaces Firepepper Red
    Graphite Pearl is new.
    Sapphire Blue is new for the Coupe.
    All other colors stay the same. No Black Current Pearl color. (I LOVED that color on the 1998-1999 Accord EX and EXV6 models.)
  • Options
    soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    Hi guys, been away for a long time now but was a regular reader of the posts here. Thanks Robertmx(again!) for the insightful posts on honda engines & cars. I still have your posts on Honda phylosaphy (invest profit in new models) & other various posts. Keep them coming !!

About new Accord & I am more than happy or rather almost enough to trade in my 2000 Accord SE with 21K miles for a EX (or Lx) V6. The new Accord I think would make Altima V6 a good deal! (discounts!) & also buying a much expensive Passat an non-recommeded excerisize. :-)

About the exterior: you can not make 420K buyers happy with the styling & also cann;t make previous generation 2 million buyers look stupid with a radical departure in styling. Look at Max, radical redesigns made its market position to degrade & left buyers confused.

So the new Accord is almost a RADICAL design "overall" 5 speed auto in 4 cyl is going to be a major 'halo' point for this car. Its amazing how fuel efficiency has been imrpoved with the power!

Now if Honda can give us a better color selection !!
  • Options
    Black cloth/leather is available on the Satin Silver color.
  • Options
    pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    I got a big kick out of this post:
    "The saddest defense of the Accord's new styling is that it will "grow" on you. Good lord. Only hardcore fanatics need to defend it with that one. I would not buy a car that I was hoping would "grow" on me. Buyer's remorse would set in on the day of sale. Thats just me of course."

It's kind of like marrying a woman in the hopes that she will "grow on you" - not realistic IMHO. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder BUT it's tough to call either the 2002 Camry or 2003 Accord beautiful. To me, reliable and comfortable transportation is most important!

Maybe I've been townhalling it too much lately. It's hard not to get negative after reading some of these posts...
  • Options
    jguojguo Member Posts: 49
    I am guessing the MSRP for the accord V6 EX will be just below $25K, based on what the press said so far. The only option that I can think of is the NAV. I got the feeling that there will be at least 6 month of price gouging above MSRP by the dealers on the V6 models. Which is what happend when the 98 V6 models were released.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Sobers,
    My pleasure. verozahl posted a link to Detroit News item from today in another forum (News and Views - Honda/Acura... independent and proud of it). Worth reading. Here is the link.

jguo,
    I'm guessing that EXV6 will be priced at $26K with only NAV being an option. LXV6 might be $23.5K.

alpha01,
    Toyota has advertised 0% on nearly every model recently (including Camry and Sienna). It may have been a short term thing, but I remember seeing it a couple of times a week or two ago.
  • Options
    jud95accordjud95accord Member Posts: 58
    Thanks, maxamillion1. Do you think graphite pearl will be a grey or black? I live in Texas and black is hard to deal with here. The desert mist - have they ever used that color before?
  • Options
    voochvooch Member Posts: 92
    I think you just reiterated my point coppamc.

If you are buying a car that you are hoping is going to grow on you, you don't really like the car... why buy it? Just because it has an "H" on the hood? There are so few competing cars that one needs to buy a car that has to grow on ya?

I just don't see the excitement in "reliable and comfortable transportation." The 2002 Accord is "reliable and comfortable transportation." But to each his own. =)
  • Options
    123aaa123aaa Member Posts: 7
    Camry's steering? I see you've got your eye on an SE. Camry looks are better IMHO than the Accord and it is a better family car for space and I like their blue color and black interior option. But my '95 Camry steering is light and overassisted and (to me) oversensitive. I have to keep a lighter touch on the steering wheel otherwise I'll move the car off center. I'm assuming the current Camry has similar steering. The steering isn't bad, just different, and the light touch really suits the isolated and refined nature of the Camry driving experience--it just isn't the kind of steering I prefer which is why I'm leaning toward the Accord or 6. Are you also considering the upcoming Accord and 6?
  • Options
    jamatksjamatks Member Posts: 3
    I bought my first Honda auto (Accord) six weeks ago...like some of you I think the auto transmission is not silky smoothe.. However, my biggest problem is that I cannot get the auto climate control to keep a steady temperature, I am constantly having to adjust it to be comfortable for a few minutes, then I have to adjust it again over and over. This happens on auto and full auto. Anybody have this problem, or have any suggestions? Dealer does not find a problem and says sensors are working....thanks for your help.
  • Options
    thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    has been the best-selling automobile in the US for nine of the past ten years when high-volume fleet sales are excluded.

Camrys are Camrys. What a name. They are the quintessential soulless appliances that have never looked as good or handled as well as the Hondas. Sure, Camrys are a hit with folks who used to buy Buicks. That's why Hondas get the accolades and the individual consumers while Camrys are unloaded to fleets to meet sales goals. When was the last time a Camry won any award as best in class?

Never is a good bet.
  • Options
    liebesiliebesi Member Posts: 33
    Will they offer 1.9 or 2.9 for 60 mo, for 02 Accords or have they before? I know the 4.75 % expires 7/31, anyone know what could be next?
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5136

Has a good (read: it's authentic) pic of the coupe. Very rakish design, but also bland. More bland than the sedan. Now this is where I criticize Honda for being bland because the coupe, if anything, should not be bland.

Also, a VERY good shot of the interior dash. Tasteful plood, leather and very high quality materials from what I can see.

• Options
    ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    I had the misfortune of parking our EX next to a new Passat tonight. The Passat is truly a beautiful car, inside and out. Lots of passion in its design, which is clearly absent from the Accord. As someone noted above, we could have spent the extra $$$ (about 2K) to buy a Passat instead of our Accord. However, when measuring all things practically, it was next to impossible to not choose the Accord. Don't get me wrong, I love our Accord for all that pure honest engineering and solid reliablity. Plus, it may not be such an emotional statement, but it sure is fun to drive.

The point of my post here (finally) is that Honda may have been a bit too radical with the new car to try and woo some of thoes would-be Passat buyers. My primary example is the use of the gooseneck hinges on the trunk (as shown in one set of spy photos) and the electro-lumininated gauge cluster. Now to me, the $$$ for those fancy Lexus-like guages would have been better spent on the dual-joint trunk hinges (which Passat has BTW), especially given that the trunk size hasn't apparently been increased. Not as flashy as the gauges, but infinitly more purposeful in the Honda tradition.

Anyway, there is still hope. Auto.com has a story confirming the Acura TSX (aka JDM/Euro Accord) as a 2004 NA model on sale spring of 2003. See it here:

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirf27_20020727.htm

• Options
    cokane5227cokane5227 Member Posts: 117
    i think it looks good, IMO, there's A LOT of difference between the pictures and the reality, whenever i look at the g35 pictures now, i still think it's butt ugly, but when i look at a silver one on my way out every morning in reality, i think it looks great.
  • Options
    which was posted over at TOV:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/786546.asp?0dm=C15IB

The interior of that EX/V-6 sedan look very Lexus like...

• Options
    fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    If you think it's so sad to have a car's looks 'grow' on you, then that's your opinion. Most people are in the market for reliability, safety and economy as their criteria in a car, amongst other things. The Accord fits the bill for tons of people, and its looks appeal to many people. As for the analogy to marrying a woman, sure you can marry a true knowkout, but if she's got a nasty disposition, how smart would that be? How about a more average looking woman, whom you can trust and have a more fulfilling relationship? Yeah, I don't wanna stray off topic but you brought it up.

I got an RX300 because it looks fantastic and in fact is fantastic in its handling (for a cross-over SUV) and in its quality. But it also cost me quite a few bucks so I kept my old Acura Legend Coupe as a second car. It's 12 years old and drives incredibly, with nary a squeak. Previously I had an 86 Legend and an 89 Civic. Both were sold off but in still great shape. That is why I'm a Honda fan.
  • Options
    I agree, it looks very Lexus (funny how we both didn't think "it looks very Acura" - as I'm sure that's what Honda would've liked to hear).
  • Options
    is there a reason you didnt respond to my last post? is it because you are pissed that I HAVE driven your car and still have the same opinions about it? just curious
    ~alpha

and so this doesnt get kicked off the thread:
    New Accord V6= kick a**
    New Accord 4= TBD (to be determined)
  • Options
    "Pissed" is a term that denotes taunting and derisiveness, I would even say trolling. You are obviously aware of that as you seem to fear having your post deleted.

I've stated my opinions (twice) and we still disagree. We've both driven the same cars and we both have opposite opinions regarding them. Unless you see a relevant point in continuing (other than trying to disprove me, or trying to say that your judgment is superior, or prolonging this pissing match), I don't think it's any use. It doesn't mean that I'm "pissed," nor does it mean that I concede. Although I don't know why you would be curious...but I'm sure you weren't trying to fuel the flame.
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    Given that electroluminescent gauges have been a Lexus trademark for years, it wouldn't have made sense to say "Acura-like" in that description.

Nonetheless, your point is well taken... people tend to refer to Lexus when describing luxury cars... they rarely mention Acura. Ironic that Acura was concerned that people focused on the name Legend instead of the Acura brand name, so they changed it to 3.5 RL. Now, for the most part, people don't refer to it at all.
  • Options
    bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    I didn't think Honda could top the interior design of the current Accord but I think the '03's interior may have just done that! Final judgement of course has to be reserved until it can be seen, and touched, in the flesh, but in the photo it looks very tasteful and upscale. The thick, meaty-looking leather-wrapped steering wheel is especially sweet. What is Honda gonna do for an encore with the upcoming new TL??!
  • Options
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=26225

It takes a while for the pics to load at the bottom, but there are a lot of good close ups of the interior and the headlights.

• Options
    torque_rtorque_r Member Posts: 500
    I also think the interior is lexus-like, which is not a bad thing at all. But is this the interior of the EX only? Will the LX get the same guages and the big LCD screen in the middle? Of course, wood is out if question.
  • Options
    th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    The wood pattern and the two-tone design give the interior a very Audi-like appearance. I think it looks rich for a midsize family sedan.
  • Options
    if your stated goal is to attract a younger crowd who are more interested in the Passat than the boomer oriented Accord.

Of course, since the Accord sells so many more cars than the Passat, I wonder how many real younger buyers the Passat has? It would be interesting to know both the mean and the median age of buyers of both cars...
  • Options
    cds12cds12 Member Posts: 139
    "Also, a VERY good shot of the interior dash. Tasteful plood, leather and very high quality materials from what I can see"

Just curious, how can you tell that the interior has "very high quality materials" from a picture?
  • Options
    crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    * Remote entry controls now on the key, not a separate controller.
    * Heated seats on EX-V6
    * Dual zone climate control on EX models
    * ABS standard on ALL Accords! (This might cannibalize some EX sales)
    * Side curtain airbags (in addition to side airbags) _available_ on the EX-V6. For an additional charge???
    * The cassette is dead - not offered on any models as standard equipment.
    * MP3 Player available !!! (Look at the new AUX button on the radio controls - allow input for satellite radio (maybe), MP3 player (probally) or cassette player.
    * Larger diameter disc brakes.
    * 16" wheels on EX and V6 models

And no - NO HID HEADLIGHTS!

I don't understand the obsession some people have with these darn things. Not to mention the fact they blind oncoming drivers.
  • Options
    I agree that the HID lights are unnecessary. The Mazda6 and Passat have them. I drive a lot of miles each year and would be afraid to find out how much one of those units cost to replace if they burnout (?) or are broken by a flying stone or animal...
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    How long will it be before we can read an actual, in person, visual and driving review of it?
  • Options
    suvsbobsuvsbob Member Posts: 12
    Anyone has idea will honda offer a station wagon of 03 accord in USA? Or it's just an Europe/Japanese thing. I kinda like station wagon and wish Honda has something compete Passat.
  • Options
    whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    It comes off like a press release, but they do test it's new 240HP engine. 0-60 in 6.6 (matches Altima time)! But they park it next to a Camry, and it is definitely ugly in comparison. No Skid control, same sized trunk.
  • Options
    Go to http://www.wieck.com, click on public, and perform a search for "honda accord".

About 16 new pics!!!

• Options
    kratas101kratas101 Member Posts: 33
    The interior looks really great, a little more complicated than previous years but it looks stylish. One thing though, IMO, the wood trim looks a little too light, I like the darker wood trim of the 6th gen, the new one is a little too noticable and "in your face". Now the coupe I have some mixed feelings about. The profile looks good and the front end is looking nice too, but the rear lights(from what I've seen of it on a mostly side view) slightly detract from the flow of the car. Right now still, I think the 6th gen coupe is still better, at least in styling. :)
  • Options
    Honda will offer a new wagon in 2003 as a 2004 model. Unfortuneatly, it the Honda Stream, which is a tall, stretched Civic currently sold oversees. It will be called the Latitude here. There is a story at www.auto.com

Honda will also bring the JDM/Euro Accord here as the Acura TSX. The JDM/Euro Accord model range includes a wagon. I could see Honda bringing it here too for a head-to-head with the IS300 SportCross, A4 Avant, 3-series, Volvo V50 (next generation), or even the Mazda6 and Passat.
  • Options
    Look closely at this pic:

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_040385

There is an additional two button steering wheel control that is not present on the pics of the EX-V6 sedan.

I'm guessing it's controls for the transmission, although it could be something for the gps/nav system.

What do you think?

• Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Looks like a cross between the Camry and Altima on the outside. Interior looks superior to both.

In terms of looks, I think the sedan looks better than the old one, the coupe I will need to see in real life.

I remember when the current version of the Accord came out, I thought the initial pictures looked ugly and bland. Seeing it in real life changed my views. I thought the sedan was tasteful and the coupe really nice.

In terms of the younger crowd, I thought they hit the mark with the coupe. A little sportier and a stick would have helped though.
  • Options
    civicwcivicw Member Posts: 135
    It will be a big hit with the baby boomer crowd, and the coupe will attract lots of empty nesters, mostly people in the 45-60 age group, IMHO.

I really don't see this huge, bulky vehicle as competition for the Passat, in terms of attracting younger customers who want style. Honda seems to have forgotten an important fact: customer age usually increases with the size (width and length) of the vehicle. Of course they will try to put a spin in all those interviews on how they are trying to attract the younger crowd with "sensual" styling, to me it's evolutionary styling, and the styling has the same appeal as Camry and Altima.
  • Options
    dragonfiredragonfire Member Posts: 39
    any thoughts on honda's side curtain airbag offerings? i can't believe that they would only be offered on the EX V6, especially since side airbags are optional on all other models. what's up with that? i hope that the initial information is incorrect.... i hope...

but source is from honda? not sure..
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I don't see where the "huge and bulky" observation comes from, unless it's more of an opinion of the styling. My understanding is that the 2003 Accord is close to the same size and weight range as the previous generation, and the Passat is in that same general range.

Since one of the early pieces of feedback from the auto mags is that Csaba Csere of Car and Driver said that he'll have to start looking at the Accord more as a sports sedan, perhaps the new Accord will give the Passat some real competition.
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    HID headlights are great. Once you have them, driving another car is like driving with very dirty headlights. There is a noticeable difference, making them a safety feature.

I believe HIDs never burn out, since there is no bulb.

Honda should have offered them as an option, especially since the Altima does. I'm sure we'll see them in a few years.
  • Options
    The Accord is hardly huge or bulky, compared to the Passat. In fact, the Passat weighs 126 pounds MORE than the Accord (GLX vs EX-V6). The Accord is a whopping 2% wider and longer.

I see the new Accord cleaning the Passat's clock! Not only is the top line Accord $4,500 cheaper than the Passat GLX, but it has 50 more horsepower. If the prices were similar, the Passat would have a chance. Personally, I think the Passat is more attractive than the Accord, but I'm not willing to plunk down $4,500 more to buy it.