Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• jbf5jbf5 Member Posts: 32
    Happy holidays all. Thanks for the snow tire/wheel information over the past few weeks.

I just got a set of Mille Miglia MM11-2 wheels and Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires from Tirerack for my 03 530i Sport. Mounted them with the vehicle tool kit, stacked the Summer wheels/tires in the basement, and all's well so far.

Awhile back there were some posts indicating that BMW was no longer importing fluid for the intensive washer reservoir to the U.S. due to environmental concerns or regulations. Apparently, the fluid has been reformulated and is now available again. The blue fluid is concentrate for the regular washer and the green fluid goes directly into the intensive reservoir without dilution. Cost was about $4.95/bottle at the local dealer.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Thanks for the "Heads-Up" on the washer fluid. ;-)

By the way, did you properly touque your wheel bolts to 72 lb-ft and do it in a "Star" pattern? If not, you might want to perform that step because I have heard that folks who used just the standard lug wrench have ended up with warped brake rotors.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tlmmhowelltlmmhowell Member Posts: 48
    Yes, I had to replace camshaft sensor on 10-31-03 with 32042 miles. My only symptom was check engine light, which I ignored for a time. Thank God it was done under warranty!
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    I did a little investigation and from what I read the camshaft sensor has been an ongoing problem with BMW cars for a while. Apparently it is an easy fix , more of a nuisance than anything else. Still, amy problem has its drawbacks. Apparently it has to do with engine timing.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Thanks for the responses on the camshaft sensor. Out of curiosity I asked what it would have cost to repair out of warranty and was given a figure of $250. I am assuming this figure does not include labor.
    Merry Christmas and safe driving to all!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    You'll like this.. I acquired my 2003 325i with 8000 miles last Saturday, and my wife calls me on Monday to say the car stalls every time she puts it in gear, and the service engine soon light is on. BMW assist tows it in. You guessed it.. camshaft sensor.. I'd never heard of it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Maybe it's something in the air. Wonder if there's a vaccine for it. ;-)
  • tmckaytmckay Member Posts: 1
    BMW now recommends torque of 88 ft-lbs for wheel bolts. This was changed early in 2003.
    88 lb-ft? Where did you get that information? If it is so, I have been driving around since 1999 with the wrong torque on my wheel bolts. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Yes, Munich increased the lug bolt tightening torque to 120Nm.
    Thanks!

Hmmm, now let me see, where is that torque wrench? Ahh, there it is. See y'all later. ;-)

Best Regareds,
    Shipo
  • bmizbmiz Member Posts: 4
    The jury may still be out on the E60/Bangle design, but the selection of wheels has definitely got to go.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    I sat in a new 5 series yesterday, and the seats felt very uncomfortable, especially in the back seat, which felt like I was sitting in a Crewcab truck. The back seats did not feel like it had much of a set back angle. The seats felt straight up like a stiff school bus seat. Has anyone else felt this way? Maybe, I had a bad day, I will go back and try to verify the seating, but it sure did not feel good yesterday.
  • weldone99weldone99 Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone seen a new 2005 BMW Series 5 with body side moldings. I'm wondering if it would spoil the value and appearance. Will be deciding on a Mercedes or BMW soon. I find it a little troubling that it as no Body Moldings.
  • airplaneguyairplaneguy Member Posts: 5
    Trying to make a decision between the new 5 series and X5. The back seats on the 5 series were not even comfortable enough to sit in for my wife on the 20 minute test drive.

The idrive system will probably get people in an accident! Way to distracting!! It all works cool but to many gadgets and electrons to go wrong. The back seat on the X5 is better for us with an infant and much more comfortable. It seems about as quick also from the start. ( 3.0 )

I tried to talk myself into the new 5 series but all in all will go with the X5.Better deals and more comfortable and that is bottom line to us.
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Don't think the new 5 has body side moldings.
    Left off in the redesign as far as I know.
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    have had the one in my 97 528 replaced twice, first one covered under warranty and the dealer replaced it again (after formal warranty) for nothing because this item has been so troublesome. Apparently, the factory is/was allowing "freeby" fixes on this, at least under some conditions. Anyway, it is not something that you would consider going bad every day, so maybe because I had already had it done once, they put it in for free the second time.
  • jbf5jbf5 Member Posts: 32
    Shipo, thanks for the tip on the wheel torque. Now that I read Tirerack's instructions a little more carefully, they agree that there's a risk of warping the brake rotors if you get the torque wrong.

Are the OEM lug bolts 17mm? I'm guessing you need a thin-walled deep socket?
    A timely post that. ;-)

I just re-torqued my wheel nuts this afternoon, and yes, you need a 17mm socket for your torque wrench, however, I just use a standard Craftsman 17mm and it fits just fine.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    I put my winter tires (Michelin PA2) on a while ago. I used the car toolkit and it took me about 30 minutes. Yes, I did use to star pattern etc. So far I have been extremely happy with the tires. I do see a slight difference in handling but you really have to pay attention to notice. Question for the forum:
    1. how do you determine the torque
    2. what is the suggested winter tire pressure
    3. what is the suggested summer tire pressure
    I have 03 530, SP.
    thanks
    .g
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    <1. how do you determine the torque?>
    Easy; buy a torque wrench. I like Snap-On, Mac, or Kobalt-in that order. Buy a 0-150 lb.ft. digital model that clicks when you reach the pre-set torque.

<2. what is the suggested winter tire pressure?>
    I'd use the suggested pressures found in your owners manual or on the driver's door jamb.

<3. what is the suggested summer tire pressure?>
    See above answer.
    Today I took two out of town guests for a leisurely drive up the Massachusetts and New Hampshire coast. Along the way we stopped at the Wentworth by the Sea hotel and spa in Castle Island, NH ( http://www.wentworth.com ) for lunch. A very cool place to walk around and the lunch was delightful too. ;-) When we walked back out to the parking lot, I found my 2002 530i sandwiched between a white E65 745i and a Titanium Gray Metallic E60 545i. I couldn't resist the temptation, so I asked "Hey you two, what do you think of the new version of my car?"

"Where?" They both answered in unison.

Pointing at the 545i I said, "Sitting right next to mine."

Both of my guests walked around it a couple of times shaking their heads. My female guest (a wonderful Corsican woman currently teaching English in Paris) simply said, "It's such a shame they ruined it."

My other guest, a long time friend from Chicago, said, "What the Hell did they do to it? After driving yours I was really considering getting one for myself because of how it drives and how it looks. That car is one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen, there is no way I'll own one."

Every time I see a new E60 I count my lucky stars that I decided to trade up from my old 328i before the E60 every saw the light of day.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    it's too bad that a Pontiac Grand Prix wasn't parked by the E60. Then your guests would have seen what Bangle was aiming for -- and missed.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    While there are some who do not like the new E60, I happen to like it. While I haven't test driven it yet, I went to the dealer and checked out a 545. I like it. I don't know if I like all $63,000 of it. For that money, I would get an M3 hands down. But I liked the 740, I like the 745, I like the E39 and E60.

saugtak the E60 looks like a Grand Prix, like the TL looks like a Camry. Saying it doesn't make it so.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I don't know if the E60 looks like a Grand Prix, but it sure emulates Pontiacs, as a whole, IMHO and many others.
    I guess there is a resemblance. The best way for me to describe the resemblance is to say the Tiburon has a resemblance to the Boxster. But beyond that I can't see it.
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    kdshapiro, not sure which Pontiac it is, but when you see the E60 at night, it's a dead ringer for the Grand Prix or Grand Am, forget which Pontiac model looks like what.

The new E60 design is not terrible per se, it's just that Pontiacs have a bit of a tacky image and I think that making BMW resemble a lower level car was a mistake.
    saugatak - I understand your point. Looking at any car at night I often mistake one for another, especially on dim road. The angel eyes on the 5 series are a giveaway however.
  • stumblefootstumblefoot Member Posts: 3
    Does BMW have any plans to introduce an AWD 5-series in the future? The wife made it official today... she's tired of driving our SUV and wants a luxury sedan, but only one that has AWD. I guess she is afraid that with all the snow we get in the mountains of Colorado, she'll need AWD.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    I just parked my car behind a gorgeous Black/Black '03 E39 540i6 Sport. Such a great looking car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rerobbinsrerobbins Member Posts: 18
    Until BMW offers a 5 series with AWD I think the Audi A6 Quattro or perhaps the MB E320 with 4matic are as close as you will get.
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Where was that 540I? Just curious. Except mine is not as gorgeous as it normally is, since it is not wearing the 18" M-sport wheels for the winter. (Never mind the 50 degree temps we are having!)
  • hipreckhipreck Member Posts: 67
    I have read about rumors on an AWD 5 series in the next year. Remember they are rumors. It would be a great car.
  • petrarchpetrarch Member Posts: 28
    If the manual recommends, say, 32psi, for the tire, is this spec meant for when the tire is cold? That is, when is the proper time to measure the pressure?
  • karmikankarmikan Member Posts: 116
    Check the pressures when the tires are cold. First thing in the morning is a good time.
    Tire pressure should be measured cold, that is, as close to ambient temperature as possible. This means when the car has not been driven for more than about a mile or so.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    I spotted the car on W83rd right near Riverside Dr.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thanks... not mine (wait, let me check the garage!) lol
  • petrarchpetrarch Member Posts: 28
    karmikan, ny540i6 - Thanks, guys. I believe the same, but a person recently suggested to me that the manual is referring to what the tire should be at "operating temperature." This would mean, according to him, that the pressure should be consistent with the recommendation immediately after it has been driven, and so that is when the tire should be checked. It seems to me his interpretation allows for too much margin of error, and it wouldn't make sense to me why the manufacturer would take this approach. Am I missing something, or is he?
    He is. Tire pressure after driving can vary greatly, depending on distance driven, how aggressively, etc.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    It's winter again. You may recall that we had a discussion about if the A/C compressor runs if the outside temperature is well below freezing. Have you thought to check this out?
    I have indeed looked through as much BMW documentation as I could find, and what I have come up with is at best inconclusive, however, IMHO, the data does lean toward the compressor running whenever the switch is on. I have included a few snippets for you to judge for yourself:

From the 2002 BMW 5-Series Owners Manual (Automatic climate control section):
    Air conditioning
    The air is cooled and dehumidified and &#150; depending on the temperature setting &#150; warmed again when the air conditioning is switched on. Depending on the weather, the windshield may fog over briefly when the engine is started. You can reduce condensation forming on the windows by switching on the air conditioning.

Maximum cooling
    With the engine running this program provides maximum cooling at outside temperatures above approximately 41 °F (5 °C). 60 °F (16 °C) appears in the temperature display 9, and the system reverts to the recirculate-air mode while simultaneously providing maximum airflow through the vent outlets only. That is why you need to keep these open if you select this program.

From the 2000 BMW 323i and 328i Sedan Owners Manual (Automatic climate control section):
    Air conditioner
    The air is cooled and dehumidified and &#150; depending on the temperature setting &#150; rewarmed again when the air conditioner system is switched on.
    Depending on the weather, the windshield may fog over briefly when the engine is started.
    Switch off the air conditioner at outside temperatures below approx 42 °F (5 °C). This will help to prevent the windows from fogging up.
    If the windows fog over after switching the air conditioner off, switch it back on.

So, what do you think?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bmw1020bmw1020 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new BMW 530 which I have since early Nov. I really like the handling and the quality of the car over all but it has one very irritating problem.
    I have the standard single CD. Most of the time when I turn off the engine or switch to the radio for long periods and go back to the CD, the CD goes back to playing track 1. Not good when your listening to an audio book.
    My BMW dealer says BMW has identified this as a general problem and is working on a software patch for reprogramming the car computer to fix the CD. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    Thanks Irwin
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    If you really want to be sure whether or not the compressor turns on with the switch, open the hood and see if the AC compressor clutch is engaged or not.
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    I assume you have the 2004 model, I own a 2002 model but never exprience the problem that you are having. The CD always remember what track it was playing when I turned off the key, and will play the next track when I restart the car.
  • karmikankarmikan Member Posts: 116
    I have an 03 530 and I don't have that problem. Both the single play unit and the 6 pack cassette remember the last track played and go back to it.
  • bentleyfam25bentleyfam25 Member Posts: 67
    I've read other posts of this problem and a (supposedly) pending patch. Doesn't appear in the E39's; specific to E60's.

Cheers
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    Well, I consulted a some of the repair manuals and they all suggest that there is an ambient temperature sensor that will shut off the compressor when the temperature is less than about 35 degrees F. My suggestion is that you check your car to see if the compressor will run when the temperature is below freezing and your car has been out long enough to get cold. If you can't see the compressor then this won't work of course.
  • bmw1020bmw1020 Member Posts: 2
    Yes the problem with the CD always going back to track 1 when the car is restarted is a 2004 BMW 530.