Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Options
    big_jimbig_jim Member Posts: 27
    And is my math correct...$1,100 increase on the 530i?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    Yep.. thats what I get...

And.. no increase on the 545i.. But, no new engines for those, right? And, maybe that is still an '05? Not sure..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The 545i is still an '05...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    When are the new 530i's supposed to show up at dealers? (Or are they already there?) Is there anything else changed besides the engine?
  • Options
    scoutlab1scoutlab1 Member Posts: 8
    I ordered a 530i in December to replace my 2002 530, telling my dealer that I wanted to wait until I could get the new (R6?) engine, which I had read about in Road & Track. I spoke to the dealer today, who said my car had been built today as a 2006 model. He said that although the car might be at the dealer by the end of the month he was under the impression that it could not be delivered until April 1 or thereafter. There are a number of changes to the car other than the new engine, which are detailed in some of the forums in www.e60.net. Hope this answers your questions.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Thanks!
  • Options
    bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    Wow, am I reading correct on the additional horsepower and new engine for the 06 525? If that is true, the 525 will be a pretty good buy for the money. Even loaded out it is still much lower than a 530i. I know the 530 has more ponies, but if the 525 is getting the same revisions and more horsepower from the previous 525, it is pretty tempting.
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    0-60 in auto form drops from 8.2 to 7.6 mpg stays the same. Interestingly enough the 530i gets a tick 20/29 to the 525i 19/28, 6speed 20/30.

Doug don't get the TL!

Regards,
    DL
  • Options
    sjeedsjeed Member Posts: 120
    I have been perusing the bmwusa.com website pondering a decision between a 2005 545i and the new 2006 530i, but I do not see any pricing for the 2006 530i. Where did you find it?

Also, I noticed on kbb.com's pricing module for the 545i that an option for Ventialted Front Seats is available, but do not see this option in either BMW's website or Edmonds pricing module. Does anyone know if this is a misprint on kbb's part?
  • Options
    IT'S GONE!!

It was there the other day... I thought it strange that it was on there, when even the dealers didn't have the info..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Hmm it was on the front page where you highlight the model. Then Build it went back to 05. I wonder if its because the 05 lease special was extended til 03/31.I hope a juvenile didn't get on the site and trick us with a $500 increase :)

DL
  • Options
    This morning, showing the '06 model again..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sjeedsjeed Member Posts: 120
    Sure wish I knew how you are hitting the 2006 530i page? When I go to bmwusa.com/build your model, or through My BMW, I still hit the 2005 model year.
  • Options
    http://www.bmwusa.com/

Then roll your cursor over the "5-series" in the top left corner, then over to 525i.. It will show a 3.0 litre, 215 HP engine.. that is the '06.. I just now did it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I see where the confusion is. When I went out to bmwusa wednesday (3/2) morning, the 2006 pricing and specs appeared, although the page header as displayed in internet explorer said "BMW 2005 530i Sedan." Where the link to the brochure was, it said "2006 530i brochure coming soon."

Now, just like kyfdx said, the engine specs are updated on the main page if you roll your cursor over it. However, if I go to build one, it has reverted to 2005 MSRP pricing , and the Xenon lights are again showing as an $800 option. Additionally, the "2006 brochure coming soon" link has disappeared, replaced by the 2005 brochure.

My guess is that they are working on updating it and may have had some issues, or didn't realize that idiots like me have been hitting refresh every 30 minutes for 2 weeks waiting to see the skinny on the 2006 :)

Luckily, I printed a copy of the 2006 pricing to stare at until they fix it for good. And my "Saved" 2006 530i vehicle is still showing if I log in.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Are they making a mid year change and doing the engine mods during a production year?

-Paul
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Errr, sort of. Yes there is a mid-year change, however, cars with the new engines are considered to be 2006 model year cars.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    The new 06 530 and 525 are not appearing on the BMW site.
  • Options
    I was curious. Have any of you ever paid a lease up front, heard of anyone paying up front? In other words, pay all your lease payments in one lump sum. It seems like an interesting concept. What do you think of that idea? Or, are you better off buying, and financing?
  • Options
    If you roll over the 525i or 530i.. it is giving the engine specs for the '06 model.. If you build your own, I think it is giving the '05..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Build your own feature showing the '06 5-series now....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    I have paid for a lease up front on a '98 Ford Explorer Sport (Hey, we were all young and stupid once, but it cost me $6500 for 2 years). Now I kick myself knowing I could have gotten an E36 323is that had a similar sticker price, but I digress. You do save money because I believe the money factor is ZERO (I might be wrong) because there is no interest charge because you're not "borrowing" the money. Ask your dealer or someone here on the board who is smarter than I am:)-

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    juniorbmwjuniorbmw Member Posts: 29
    The only thing that I've heard of paying up front on a lease is something called "capitalization reduction" up front.

I believe what this is if you want to lower the monthly lease payment, or the credit report indicates that you might not be able to handle the monthly payment, long-term, then they'll require you to put a bigger deposit towards the lease payments up front. This in turn will either lower your monthly lease payments over the lease term or conceivably pay the lease payments up front if the deposit is big enough and the lease term is short enough (as in a 24-mo lease).
  • Options
    Actually.. there is interest involved, because you are only paying for the depreciated portion of the car upfront.. You are still "borrowing" the residual amount for the lease term..

For example, assume the cap cost is $30K and the residual is $15K... The cost of the one-payment lease will be $15K + finance charge equal to borrowing $15K (the residual) for 3 years..

You do save on finance charges, as on a typical lease, you would be paying finance charges on an average of $22,500 over the three years..

But, in this example, the one-payment lease might be something like $16,500...

I've never seen a great reason for doing this... sometimes they will run a special, that will make it advantageous, but usually when I run the numbers.. it isn't a great deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    rich545 is right. I have a 2005 545 with both and they work fine.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    agreed. PArt of the benefit of leasing is that you don't tie up all your money (ie, laying 15 grand out of pocket).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a national magazine is hoping to talk with a consumer who took advantage of a 24-hour test drive or other extended vehicle test opportunity (including a car rental) and subsequently bought a car similar to the one s/he tested. If you have a story to share, please submit it to jfallon@edmunds.com along with your daytime contact info no later than Wednesday, March 9, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    overthereoverthere Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone,

I was reading the forum over here and it looked like a lot of helpful and friendly people. I looked through some of the topics to try and find an answer my question, but was not able to find everything. I have read though the BMW 5-series Owners: Problems & Solutions, the Acura RL vs. Audi A6 vs. BMW 5-series vs. Jaguar S-Type vs. Lexus GS as well as quite a bit of the BMW 5-series Sedans threads (499 Pages!!!!...wow).
    So I thought it might be a good idea to post here...so here goes:

I am looking to buy a used 5 series. I found a 1998 540i (6 spd). It has 126000 km ( = ~78000 miles) and the guy is asking $21500 (canadian). Now I think the price is a little steep, I'll bring him down, that is not a problem (I hope). The question I have for you guys is....

What should I look out for when I go and have a look /test drive that car?
    Is there something I should know is problematic with these cars to begin with?
    Should I check for the VIN #'s in more than one place (if so, where)?

Of course, there will be the normal why are you selling, I'll get the vehicle history and get it checked by a mechanic etc...but prior to that, what little things, or telltale signs of possible trouble should I look for? Any little bit would help me out a great deal.

Thank you very much for your help.
    Dee
  • Options
    mikarmikar Member Posts: 6
    Others will offer some suggestions but here's a start. Check if the radiator, expansion tank, water pump and fan have been replaced. These parts are made primarily of plastic and they tend to let go about the mileage you're looking at.

Some owners replace these parts as a preventative measure, check if your seller is one of them. If the car's been cared for there shouldn't be too many other systemic problems.

Good luck, it's a great car!
  • Options
    ktpktp Member Posts: 1
    Seriously considering purchasing a BMW 530. I know that optional equipment on a car is an individual preference. However, I am sure some of you 530 owners feel that if you are going purchase a car such as this, there is certain optional equipment or option package that needs to be on this car. If this is the case, I would greatly appreciate some suggestions. I live in the Dallas, Texas area, whether that makes a difference or not. I want to thank you in advance for any responses back and for the great information posted on the BMW forums.
  • Options
    Thanks very much Mikar.

I just came back from seeing the car. Test drove it as well. That felt nice :) very nice, even though the car was not well maintained. This is what I got from it:

1) His car had been keyed onthe rear left quarter panel. A good deep 16-20 inch scratch. I suppose it could be buffed out. Not really that big a deal.

2) The hoses were worn out...and there were noticeable swellings...no biggie I suppose, can be easily replaced.

3) There was oil around the head gaskets (all of them). Now I know what normal grime/dirt etc. in an engine looks like, and this wasn't it. Not good.

4) Felt my way around all external gaps. The hood had a much wider gap on one side than the other. The front quarter panel on the same side felt a little different...dont know how to explain it

5) The plastic lining on the wheel well (sorry don't know the right term) was popped out(both front). Nothing too much...but c'mon this is a 540i.

6) Are you guys ready for this...he stated flat out that he uses this car to haul his trailer. I could see the trailer parked in his driveway, and it lookd like it got frequent use. He said he hauls 4000lbs or so.

7) When he started the car, it did not sound very...well, there was almost a delay as the engine turned over and then it started.

8) Test drive was ok...I did stall the car once or twice...one hell of a sensitive clutch compared to my 325is...well he was pretty cool about that.

So all in all, a handshake and an hour later I'm back home. I don't believe I will be looking at that car again.

You know something, there was ample power in that car (first time I drove a 540i) but to be quite honest, it might be just a little too big for me. I might just go with a 330i or an older 328IS. (Where is that icon of banging my head into a wall? :)

Well, I think that's about it for now. Any further input/analysis/good old fashioned words of wisdom would always be greatly appreciated.

Will keep you updated.
    Dee

p.s. Thanks for reading all that...hehe
  • Options
    cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    If you are referring to potential resale value, the more options the better. That said, the sport package seems to be mentioned most in terms of future resale. A BMW with sport package handles differently from one without (and the seats are different, too); whether you like it is a subjective call. Drive one with and one without to see which you prefer.

My 02 530 5 spd has everything except the upgraded stereo, navigation, and full cold weather package (it has heated seats and headlight washers). For me, the sport package was a must and most of the other toys are nice to have.

Whatever you buy, you can't go wrong. It's a great car.
  • Options
    Gone and gone. I had emailed my salesperson and informed them that with the $500 increase unless it was a near invoice deal I would not be interested in the 05 model. Well.. their reply was that was a apparently a "mistake" and asked if I has printed such information out ? Well "NO " Grr also did any one else catch the Sport was listed at 2k on the 06 instead of 3k ? Making the 06 Sport effectively equipped $500 less that the 05..

In any case now I wonder was this not to be leaked until all 05 model's were dumped Or was it really a mistake on BMWUSA part.

DL
  • Options
    Yup..its gone..

You never know what they are including in the packages from year to year.. I'd be surprised if a comparably equipped '06 is actually cheaper than an '05.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I have a 2005 545 six-speed with SP, CWP (don't imagine you need that in Dallas), NAV, PDC, HUD, SAT Radio and rear impact airbags. I love the Sports Package but also have gotten very fond of the Park Distance Control. This is the first large car I've ever owned and I find the PDC very damn useful. Similarly, the Active Steering is very handy in parking garages. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd take the PDC.

NAV is very handy. I've lived in the Metro Washington area for 30 years but the NAV is still very helpful.

Similarly, I like the Heads Up Display although I'm not sure it's worth the $1000 they charge for the thing.

SAT radio is a ball. I had no idea I'd like it as much as I do. Very pleasant getting in the car at the end of the day and deciding what I feel like listening to on the way home. Seriously consider this if you have a long commute or are just into music.

I passed on the audio upgrade. It just doesn't sound $1800 better than the standard audio that comes with the car. Mind you, if you're a real audiophile, you might want to consider it.

Let us know what you decide.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I recall reading one review that said the PDC drove the reviewer crazy. It would never stop beeping when proceeding out from the garage and going back to the garage.
    Not a problem for you?
  • Options
    sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    I'm not a mechanic, but am reasonable knowledgeable about cars. The problem, as I see it, is that this 540 is no cream-puff, and all work on BMW's is $$$$. Reviewing your itemization:

1) Deep scratches can only be buffed to a certain extent, complete refinishing of entire body panel is necessary for proper job, best part of $1000 (US).

2) Hoses and belts must be maintained, I'd guess no less than $1000 for the whole ball of wax.

3) Oil seepage at gaskets is not uncommon, probably not too big an issue if not really leaking, but not cheap to make like new.

4) Has been in a front-end accident--was it fixed competently? (hard to feel confident given obvious parts mis-match)

5) What would make a wheel-well liner pop out? Lots of time on rough (off) roads is all I can think of. A 5-series is NOT a sport-ute.

6) Towing a trailer?! Unless he was practically giving you the car, I'd call this a deal-killer.

7) Engine slow to spin--at the very least, it needs a battery, but any electrical/ignition problems will cost.

8) Test drive--well, these 5-ers do drive nice, even if beat-up, but do you want to own it?

I guess there's a right price for everything, but I think you get my point, this particular 540 could be a money toilet, and has seen very hard usage. I'd look for a more gently used example.
  • Options
    isellbmwisellbmw Member Posts: 1
    make sure you check the vin # on the inside of the hood, the door's and the front driver side under the windshield, also check the brakes and tire. get the vin# and you can call your local BMW center and have them run the last 7 digits and they should have the service history on the vehicle as long as it was done at a BMW center.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    That 540i sounds like an abused dog that has received minimal maintenance. Frankly, I'd keep on looking. There are scores of E39s out there, so there's no reason to settle for a piece of junk-which is what that car seems to be...
  • Options
    Well I really stirred the Pot. Or rather the BMW employee thats probably looking for new work today. Three Centers im in contact with had a fit when I told them the pricing WAS on the Official BMW site and not a "rumor". The 5 has set no sales records, I could possible see BMW being a "little" more competitive with their 300hp competition. But since i did not print the info off, your right the package may have reduced equipment.

Anyone print themselves a copy before it was removed?

DL
  • Options
    I printed a copy of a 2006 530i configured with just about everything EXCEPT for sport package, comfort seats, active steering and heads up display. Nothing was different except price was $1,100 higher than 2005 530i, but the xenon lights were included instead of an option.
  • Options
    argeliusargelius Member Posts: 64
    I must have missed the original post...where did you find info about the 2006's? (I'm anxiously awaiting getting a 2006 530xi...)
  • Options
    I appreciate all the input guys. I am definitely not giving this car another look, as all of you have pretty much summed up the reasons. Thanks very much. It indeed looks like a money pit. I forgot to tell you guys about the brakes in the original post. I would need all 4 brake pads and rotors. This car was very much no go before the test drive...but I thought I'd drive it a little just to see what it was all about.(1-2 km)

In the future however, I will definitely keep all of these points in mind while looking over any car.

Mikar, sdg380, isellbmw, div2, thank you all very much for your help. I will keep all of you updated on how this search in going. In the meantime, of course, I will be on this board, reading up as much as i can :)

Regards,
    Dee
  • Options
    You can easily switch it off via a dedicated button on the dash. It usually switches on when you shift into reverse however you can activate it (via the same button) when going forward should you need it. For example, I occasionally park nose first in my garage and the lighting makes it difficult to judge the distance the front of the car is from the wall. In that circumstance, I often switch the PDC on.
  • Options
    ram3ram3 Member Posts: 7
    My son has 330ci from Perillo & pleased with pre & post sale. I have 545i from Fields and they, too, have been great so maybe a toss up
  • Options
    Can you advise which website (BMWUSA.com?) and where within the website you're seeing any '06 info on 5-series? Thanks much!
  • Options
    Read down further.. The info is gone now.. they are back to the '05 info...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I've found the PDC on my '05 545 to be very helpful in many varied cases -- in/out of garage it's handy since front & back use differing frequency of beeps so you know what part of car is getting close to door frame, shelves or back wall of parking space. PDC reminds you to be carefuly when parking in lots with notorious tall concrete "stops" as you come close, even if bumper is above it. And of course driving around protruding cars in lot spaces or backing toward them is much safer with the beeping. And if someone is walking or playing behind your car as you're backing, the beep wakes you up! The beeping definitely does NOT make me crazy.
  • Options
    Thx. Guess the marketing gurus at BMWusa can't make up minds during transition
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Good to know. Thanks.