Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Options
    ed001ed001 Member Posts: 2
    This may not be the proper place to post this, but here is my question:

In the recent release of the movie, Score, DeNiro is driving a BMW which looks similar to the 5 series, but isn't. In fact, I don't know what it was, but it had nice lines. The movie was filmed in Canada. Could this be a BMW model for Canada and Europe only, but not the US?

Does anybody know?
    - Ed
  • Options
    bkassingbkassing Member Posts: 13
    bifurcated--good word

I've been getting the same response....end of the month they tell me, but they'd have to know something now because if you order a new one it'll be a 2002 for sure.
  • Options
    spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    am thinking of moving from a acura tl to a 5 for my wife. she is anything but a fast driver but like how solid the bimmer is built.

anybody do any comparisons between the 525 and 530??

thx.
  • Options
    peanut20peanut20 Member Posts: 6
    I have some info on 2002 5 Series for those interested. In-dash CD player replaces the cassette on all 5 models as standard (cassette can still be ordered at no charge). All 6-cylinder models will have power passenger seat as standard. Auto climate control standard on all 5s. The 540 will have 290 hp due to reprogramming the ECU. Regarding packages, Convenience & Sport Premium are discontinued. New Premium pkg has Universal Garage Door Opener & 8-function on board computer. Sport pkg includes sport seats. 525i gets M sport steering wheel & all-new 17" star spoke wheels - replaces previous cross-spoke design. Ski bag has been added to Cold Weather Pkg for Sport Wagons.

Regarding 2002 colors, there are 5 new exterior colors. Blue Water (light silver blue), Toledo Blue (little lighter & replaces Orient Blue), Sterling Gray (little lighter & replaces Anthracite), Kalahari Beige (very similar & replaces Sahara Beige) & Black Sapphire (same as Z3 & replaces Cosmos Black). The three reds (Royal, Sienna & Electric) have all been discontinued.

For those interested, here is the interior color coordination for the new colors. Blue Water & Toledo Blue - any color but Stone Green leather; Sterling Gray - can only get black leather or leatherette; Kalahari Beige - any color but Gray or Stone Green leather; Black Sapphire - can get any interior offered.

Hope this is helpful.
  • Options
    From what has been said, it seems as if the difference between the 525 and 530 is blurred even more. There were subtle difference between the two on the sport package side, but that appears gone now.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole premium package thing is BS anyway as no car is ever sold without it, and it just allows BMW to advertise a lower sales price as bait.

You had to figure they'd have to meet the competition at some point on obvious items such as CD-players, etc.

Any word on prices?
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm shopping for a used 2000 528iT......the only one I've driven recently had the Premium stereo, which I thought sounded really excellent on both FM & with CD's. Obviously I need to check out the standard stereo & form my own opinion, but has anyone spent a lot of time comparing the sound of the 2 systems? I need to figure out if not having Premium Stereo is a dealbreaker for me if I find an otherwise desirable used E39.

Ditto, the Xenon headlights......altho without ever having had them I'm thinking the standard headlights should be fine.
    Thanks for any advice!
  • Options
    dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Can't respond to premium sound system since I went with the standard system on my
    E39, the standard 10 speaker system is very adequate. As far as the Xenons tho, I,personally,
    wouldn't do without them. They are so bright you can see forever and it just makes you feel
    safer. A passenger in my car described the lights as " Lights from Heaven".
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    My 2001 5-series has premium sound system and xenons. I would recommend both options. The upgraded stereo is awesome, well worth the added cost.
    Xenons- this is the first vehicle I've owned that has xenons. You can definately tell the difference, as it is a whiter/brighter beam of light. The long life of xenons is a plus.
  • Options
    vin7vin7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 540i. The 6-speed is awesome. Acceleration is immediate when cruising in 3rd or 4th on the highway. In traffic it will crawl in 1st or 2nd without pushing in the clutch. I was considering the steptronic, but the 6 speed is the ultimate mate with the V8.

The navigation system works well and the DSP sound upgrade is sweet.
  • Options
    sec1sec1 Member Posts: 16
    I agree with Indyflower. I also have premium sound and love it. (even though I don't know what all the buttons do, still learning the system). XENONS are great! Almost went with standard headlights, but heard so many good things about the Xenons I decided to get them and now I'm sure glad that I did.
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Thanks for all the responses to my previous post.....I've definitely decided to hold out for a used 5 series with Premium sound. I'm wondering, has anyone ever compared the Premium stereo in the 5 series with the X5? I was considering an X5 for awhile, & a lot of owners seemed fairly restrained in their enthusiasm for the Premium stereo in the X5.

Also, with Xenons, is the main benefit with low beams, or high beams? And I've read about the high cost of replacing them, does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks!
  • Options
    cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    The xenons on my 530 are the only light source at night so I guess you could say that they take the place of the low beams. I have daytime running lights that turn off when the xenons are on but they do retain a glow around their rims. The highbeams are in addition to the xenons when needed. You should go to a dealer and see the xenons for yourself. They are awesome!! When I drive at night on the freeway my xenons light up all the signs across four-five lanes of traffic from a great distance.
  • Options
    vin7- I have 540i 6-speed,sport suspension,premium stereo, up-graded wheels, in-dash cd,and cold weather package.(xenons are standard equipment) I agree the manual with the V-8 is awesome. The 340 foot pounds of torque make this sedan haul the mail like nothing else I've owned. Due to work, I must drive a four door and IMO, (and I guess the writers of the September 2001 Car and Driver sedan comparision article as well), this and the M5 are the two best sport sedans. As I have previously stated, I can't wipe the smile off my face everytime I get behind the wheel.

Sec1- I also think the xenons are worth any added cost. After all, how can you put a price on safety. Xenons are supposed to last considerably longer than standard headlights, so replacement shouldn't be needed.

Woodyww- Xenons are only low beams, however I thought I read that the high beams will be some form of xenons in some models for 2002. I do not know if this is correct or not. I would go for any make/models up-graded stereo due to the amount of time spent in my car over the course of a year.
  • Options
    bowink1bowink1 Member Posts: 4
    As the owner of am 87 325ic [tan roof blk body] that just turned 100k I thought it time to upgrade to a 530 to replace the 97 towncar. I spent hours reading everyones comments and appreciate all the info you have shared. Going shopping today Thanks again
  • Options
    Go for it, I think you will be amazed at the overall quality of this vehicle. You should see a very noticeable difference in ride/handling vs. the Towncar.
  • Options
    bull4netbull4net Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if the AWD that is available on 3 series will be available on 5 series?
  • Options
    Today was the day!!!!!!!

purchased a 530 steptronic -premium & conv pkgs -

in dash cd full warranty for $41350 plus tag

and tax of course Thanks again for all the input

Bowink1
  • Options
    ONE THOUSAND MILES TOTAL {1000]

Black ext and tan interior

Bowink1
  • Options
    I'm a fellow Floridian. Who did you buy from? Good experience or bad?
  • Options
    htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    Word of the revamped 5 series for 2002 is most exciting. I can not locate web site with photos of the much anticiapted 5 series. Can anyone help. Thanks in advance. Htwired in Milwaukee
  • Options
    Is in model year 2003, which I have heard will not be available until March/April 2003. I'm sure the availability date could change, as this is still 20 months away.
  • Options
    hnnhnn Member Posts: 34
    htwired, try this URL

http://www.bmw2002.co.uk/news.htm

and another interesting/old URL

http://geocities.com/jimmy540i/mycar.htm

• Options
    htwired/indylowflyer, I like the front look of both new 7 and 5 series but not sure if I like the read end design of both. Especially the rear of the new 7 series, it looks very much like the rear end of a Nissan Altima ):. Hnn
  • Options
    jccsscjccssc Member Posts: 44
    I too was worried about the add'l $ spent on having xenon lights on my 2000 528i (sports-premium). But after a trip to Big Bears Mtn in S. Cal last week, my worries were gone!! Not to mention my car LOVES the sharp curves going up and down the mountain - the xenon lights worked like daylights at night - my friend's van was following me all the way and he was amazed with how much my xenon lights helped him too. He was relying on my lights throughout the trip. He said he wouldn't risk taking his van up to the mtn in the middle of the night with just his own regular headlights.
  • Options
    htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    bmw2002.co.uk was a site that I had not seen before. Very Intersting Thank You hnn
  • Options
    In reply to message # 1119 from BKASSING if you care to e-mail me at bowink@cfl.rr.com and leave me your telephone # I will get back to you as soon as I can

Bowink
  • Options
    sec1sec1 Member Posts: 16
    The salesperson that I bought my 2001 530I said that AWD might be included on the 5 series in 2003 or 2004. He believes it a couple years away at the earliest.
  • Options
    joey27joey27 Member Posts: 2
    We own a 98 BMW 540i, and the premium sound system is phenomenal. It has crystal clear sound with unbelievable levels of bass, along with 440 watts. Although expensive, it is worth it. As to indylowflyer, the 540i only has 324 pound feet of torque. I was wondering if I am the only one who DOES NOT like the 2001 redesign of the 5-series. I feel the car has lost that angry & aggressive front end for a puppy dog face. I also am disappointed that they took the sporty black stripes off the sides, and while i like that they took the orange off the back lights, I'm not sure if i like the jewely look of them. Anyways, the 540i is perhaps the greatest automobile this side of the M5. I absolutely love the tight & heavy feel of the steering. I'm glad they haven't boosted the power assist levels on the 5-series like they did for the 3-series to satisfy parking lot enthuasists. Even with the 5-speed automatic, power is mind boggling, and the engine & exhuast music is intoxicating. And u've got to love the heated steering wheel. I also think that the month of August was a month to celebrate for fans of the 540i sport. In Motor Trend AND Car and Driver, in the same month, the 540i sport beat the Lexus GS430 twice, the Cadillac DTS, the Jag S-Type 4.0, the Audi A6 4.2 twice, the Infiniti Q45, &the Benz E430 sport twice in their comparison tests. As Car and Driver says it, "this 5 is a perfect 10."
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ...If you don't mind, please give a little ownership feedback from your 540i. Did you get it new in 1998? Sport package? Miles on the odometer? Maintenance and repair costs? Any unusual problems / complaints?

I am contemplating either a 2002 530i or 540i(6-speed) for winter / spring Euro delivery purchase and would appreciate your experience / opinions. Thanks.
  • Options
    joey27joey27 Member Posts: 2
    We bought the 540i about 4 months ago used as a 1998 model. It had a little over 30,000 miles on it. It was in superb condition. People could not believe it wasn't new. It is a 5-speed automatic, but has the sport package. It has the navigation system, 16-way Comfort seats, premium sound system, heated seats & steering wheel, & the 6-cd changer. When we bought in late May, and took it to inspection, it had to get new front tires and new front brake pads. Since then, nothing major has occured. The rear cupholders broke, and the brake lights had to replaced. But other than that, its been perfect. I have never driven a 530i, but I would DEFINITELY recommend a 540i with the sport package. The suspension is very firm, but seems to drown out and ignore all but the very big bumps. It is virtually a flat carpet ride. It is unbelievably quiet inside as well. I can't tell u how many times i thought the engine was off at idle when it was actually on. The navigation system is great. It works beautifully and is very easy to operate. It briefly interupts the radio to tell your next turn and other info. With the sport package, body roll is almost non-existent. Grip levels are magnificent. Of course, you probably know that the car is extremely fast, and will even be quicker with the 6-speed. But that engine noise is really intoxicating. The seats are extremely comfortable with infinite adjustements. The only slight complaint is the how BMW used the space. Our last car, a 99 vw passat, actually had more rear seat legroom and a bigger trunk, despite being significantly smaller than the bimmer. Still, the back seat works perfectly for even full-sized adults, but isn't generous considering its size. Their really is no major fault about the car. The steering is unbelievable. It is tight, communactive, heavy, solid, and precise. And it has an unbelievable feel to it. Gas mileage around town sucks though. Its got a huge tank, though. Oh, one more thing. When we bought it, the drivers side door handle broke off too. But of course, all this was on warranty, so it didn't cost anything. The premium sound system is also great.
  • Options
    Congrats on your 540i, I agree this is the ultimate sports sedan this side of the M5. Both are awesome vehicles. I do have to disagree on the look of the 2001, IMO, it is better looking than any previous model. After seeing spy photos of the redesigned 2003 5-series model, I not sure I like the looks of it-especially the rear-end. I will have to wait and see the 2003 in person before making a final judgement.
  • Options
    Congrats to you too on 540i. I have to concur with indylowflyer on new 2001 look. I like it better especially the "yellow glow of the rings" for the head lights at night. Very distintive! I had my 540i '01 (sport pkg) for 7 months now. Power and handling are quite exhilarating!

For some reasons, I do not feel like "440 watts" of power on my DSP stereo system like you stated above. Do we have diff. stereo system bt 2001 and 98? Have fun!
  • Options
    cloudy1cloudy1 Member Posts: 8
    Been looking over the messages here for weeks and you all have been a great help. Learned alot about the 5 series vehicles for sure. Now it's decision time. Been offered a 2001 530 with steptronic, premium and convenience packages, in-dash CD, and Xenon lights for $43850 + ttl. It's the specs I have been looking for except I was not planning for the Xenons and convenience package. How does the group feel about these options and the price? Does it seem fair for a year-end sale? Do you think I can have them discount the two non-requested options off the price?
  • Options
    Hnn- I also have sport suspension and am amazed at the smooth, but firm ride. The handling is superb. I now have about 7,000 miles since delivery, on a wide variety of roads/surfaces. I am very happy that I decided on this option, and would certainly opt for the sport suspension again.
    Regarding the "yellow glow of lights", do you have xenon headlights?
    The power/handling are quite exhilarating, I have previously stated I can't decide what I like best about this car, the ride/handling,the V-8 engine, or the stereo!
    I have the upgraded stereo with in-dash cd; what an awesome sound system, well worth the extra $1200 in cost. I think the system is rated at 400 watts, but do not have the specs handy. I do not know what the 98 is rated, but would guess the stereo has improved over the model years.

Cloudy1- Glad to see you are going for the 5-series. I have heard a lot of positive feedback on the 530. What is sticker vs. invoice? Have you looked at Edmunds or KBB(Kelly Blue Book) for invoice cost? It looks like a pretty good value, but I would research further. You will love the xenon headlights-these are well worth any added cost.
  • Options
    .. I think I am wearing out my pitch for going the European Delivery route, but just for comparisons, I am considering a 2002 530i 5-speed, sport & premium packages, xenons, sport seats, hi-fi stereo upgrade, convenience package for a price of $41,135 (Munich pick-up). Price is $1,500 over Euro Delivery invoice and includes insurance and shipping back to the states. The price will be adjusted for any 2002 model year price increases, but my dealer isn't expecting much.

A quick check of your car's specs suggests I could get an equivalent 2002 for about $40,070. If you have the patience and want to spend some time in Germany, you could save almost $4 grand and get a 2002 to boot.

Either way, it's a great car.
  • Options
    stevehhstevehh Member Posts: 6
    Cloudy1, GET XENONS!!! They are really great!! They light up the whole road, you will not regret them.

As for the convenience package, I have a 540, so I am not that familiar with it. I do like my automatic climate control, and my wife likes the power passenger seat. I think this may be a good part of the convenience package, but I am not the one to ask.

Good luck,
    Steve
  • Options
    bogvlybogvly Member Posts: 13
    Can anyone help me out with this question- in my 2001 530 there are three seatbelts. For the first time since I have the car, I tried to use them all, but could only find 2 places to buckle them into! I know this sounds stupid, but is there another buckle somewhere? I even tried to put 2 of them in the one buckle, but it wouldn't work. Please tell me I'm not crazy!!
  • Options
    cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I transport three children each day to school in the back seat of my 530 and there are three buckles for the belts. Two buckles are on the left of the "middle" seat(left if you are sitting in the middle facing forward) and one is on the right of the "middle" seat. Maybe yours was just not pulled through from behind the seat.
  • Options
    gearmangearman Member Posts: 30
    Check behind /below the rear seat cushion for the third buckle; It's easy to get tucked away, particularly if you have the handy fold down rear seat.
  • Options
    yanbukenyanbuken Member Posts: 12
    Those of you with 540i's, whether stick or auto, please advise as to what combined gas mileage you normally average.

Thanks, Ken
  • Options
    yanbukenyanbuken Member Posts: 12
    Do you mind disclosing dealer name, location, phone number (if handy), and salesman's name of your very good $1500 over invoice price? I too plan to do ED next June, although I am not sure between 530i and 540i at this moment. I'm in NC, but am certainly willing to buy out of state for a deal such as yours.
    Also, have you considered holding off for the '03 redesign, which I understand will have substantial improvements in horsepower and fuel economy, as well as being a little larger?

Thanks (once again), Ken
  • Options
    First, on the ED price, most dealers will start by telling you it's a non-negotiable price set by BMW. Not true, as I first found out checking out the website, "www.eurobuyers.com". I have since found two or three dealers willing to discount the price to $1,200 to $2,000 over invoice (giving them roughly the same profit as if I bought a US delivered car from them). So I suggest you shop around your local North Carolina dealers first, equiped with the info from the aforementioned website which gives ED invoice prices for the 2001 models. If you still have no luck and are willing to purchase from a western PA dealer, let me know and I'll give you a contact. I just don't want them used for "shopping purposes" by folks not seriously interested in buying from them.

Regarding the 5-series redesign, I haven't heard a lot of hard facts about when and what it entails. I have heard that it might not be available until 2003 (as a 2004 model). I have seen some posted pictures of the front and rear and, if they are accurate, I wasn't impressed with the aesthetics. If I go the 530 route, I don't think I would wait. On the other hand, if the 540 is going to get the new 340 hp engine from the 7-series, I might be tempted to wait. The current 4.4 litre V-8, albeit a great engine, is starting to show it's age in terms of horsepower and fuel efficiency competitiveness. I can't help but be bothered by a $1,300 gas guzzler tax. If you have any more information, please post it. Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks to habitat1, indylowflyer, and stevehh for the feedback. The quoted price is $1870.00 below sticker and $823.00 below Edmunds TMV but $2635 over invoice. What has been the group's experience with the amount typically charged over invoice? This is my first "luxury car" purchase so I am not certain how these dealers work. I was thinking that $1000.00 over invoice might be fair or split the difference over invoice at about $1300.00.
    Unfortunately Euro delivery is not an option.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Euro Delivery isn't an option. Regarding your price negotiations, I would guess that in my area (Washington DC), something in the $1,500 to $2,000 over invoice for a 530i is about as good as I think you could do (assuming it's not a demo or odd color combo). There actually seems to be less negotiating ability on a car sitting on the lot than ordering one to your exact specifications - at least with respect to the 530i. They are still in pretty high demand and I guess the local dealers figure they can charge a little more to someone who really wants a car NOW, rather than go through the 6-10 week ordering process (stateside or ED). Even if you can't do ED, you might want to check out what kind of deal you could get on an ordered 2002 model for stateside delivery, assuming you could wait a couple of months. A business associate ordered a 2002 two weeks ago and they are quoting him a delivery date at the dealership (PA) of mid-November. He got the deal at $1,650 over invoice. Although he has to turn in his lease on October 30 and may have to rent a car for a week or two, he considers it worthwhile in order to get exactly the car specifications he wanted (and a 2002 model). He could have taken a 2001 off the lot at $1,500 over invoice, but it had a couple unwanted options and lacked the sport package which he deemed a must.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Yanbuken- I have a 2001 540i 6-speed manual and have averaged 19.6 m.p.g. over 6,000 miles. I would estimate one-third highway and two-thirds city/suburbs. I took one 500 mile trip on interstate and averaged 26 m.p.g., mostly in sixth gear.

Cloudy1- The 5-series is being discounted, but it sounds like you have a good price. Do you want to wait for 2002 model and, if you order, can you get same type discounted price?

Habitat1- Thanks for the Euro delivery comments. I am probably going to go that route on my next BMW. Regarding the redesign, I'm with you, I wasn't impressed with the photos I saw, however I will wait for final judgement once I see it in person. I totally agree on your comment regarding the rear-end. Looked "different".

One final note, I felt the 540 has a lot of things that you want in a sport sedan, but in comparing it to other sedans, I felt it was also a good value. I know this may sound strange for a vehicle that costs $50,000-$60,000, but that's how I feel.
  • Options
    Thanks to habitat1, indylowflyer, and stevehh for the feedback. The quoted price is $1870.00 below sticker and $823.00 below Edmunds TMV but $2635 over invoice. What has been the group's experience with the amount typically charged over invoice? This is my first "luxury car" purchase so I am not certain how these dealers work. I was thinking that $1000.00 over invoice might be fair or split the difference over invoice at about $1300.00.
    Unfortunately Euro delivery is not an option.
  • Options
    Just curious, what kind of gas mileage are others getting on their 540s? Habitat1, Have you measured your mileage?
  • Options
    indylowflyer- yes, I have Xeon headlights. I would recommend it to cloudy1. My stereo, however, does not feel like it has super bass. I adjust the DSP to a "V" shape or disable it and cranked up the bass to max but did not feel lot of power from bass (with CD with decent bass)??

yanbuken- I have 16 MPG avg. so far(98% city driving) but I usually take corner and accelerate hard :)..
  • Options
    pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    Now that BMW is coming out with the 325HP/320TQ
    745i in January, does anyone know when/if the
    545i will follow?
  • Options
    peanut20peanut20 Member Posts: 6
    As info, I was able to locate 2002 5-series pricing - posted by someone at www.bimmer.org on Sept 2 (I think). If anyone is interested, and can't find it, I saved it. I'm happy to e-mail it to you. Just let me know. As information, some things increased in price and some things went down so, depending on what options you want, you could actually end up paying less for the same vehicle in 2002. In my case, I will save close to $1,000. It's pretty exciting. Good job BMW!