Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    According to my information, you can definitely get a 540iA without the sport package at an invoice savings of roughly $2,400 less than either a 540iA w/sport or a 540i 6-speed. In addition, you save a $1,300 gas guzzler tax, for a total savings of $3,700. I still think that works out to more like $7,500 over a comparably equiped 530i 5-speed, but I might be wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't go in that direction. I like the added power, but only if it has added handling to go along with it. My biggest gripe against the E430 is that, although it has a lot of power, it doesn't have a suspension to match. I actually haven't driven the 540iA without a sport package, but I would suspect it has an unacceptable amount of body roll for my tastes.

According to owners and dealers I've talked to, the actual difference in gas milage on the 540i with or without the sport package is fairly minimal. The EPA rating difference is related to tire tread width. By comparison there is no difference for the 530i sport/non-sport EPA ratings. Unfortunately, the 540i sport EPA rating is just low enough to trigger a $1,300 gas guzzler tax.
  • Options
    bradraybradray Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone out there know when BMW is changing the current 5-Series (E39)? I know the new 7-series is slated for arrival in a few months but haven't heard any update on the 5-Series. My lease is up on my '98 528iA and I'm not sure if I want to sign-up for another 36 months if they're changing body styles in a year or so. Thanks for any info I can get.
  • Options
    cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I have read on this board and have heard from my dealer that the new 5 body style will be out in 2003.
  • Options
    michaelg5michaelg5 Member Posts: 13
    Color is very subjective. However, if keeping a car looking o.k. even when it may be in need of a wash, the light colors, especially silver are your best bet. Black is the hardest to maintain, but many consider it the only way to go. MG
  • Options
    sanand5sanand5 Member Posts: 33
    The only reason I thought the 540i with Sport package was so much different in fuel economy is because that is what BMW's website states. The numbers are 18/24 for the 540iA and 15/21 for the 540iA with Sport. The only difference I can tell is the higher final drive ratio causing the car to rev higher at any given speed and/or gear.

Nevertheless, the more I read this forum the more confused I am about which to get. Although when you think about it, I guess it's a nice problem to have.

By the way, what is the deal with the cupholders in the 5 series? My 328 has a convenient cupholder right beside me. The one in the 5 series seems to be in an awkward location in front of the shift knob. It seems like a spill waiting to happen (and all over the stereo and A/C in fact). A salesman told me it has been that way ever since '97. Is this true? Is there any improvement in '02 model?
  • Options
    djlinkdjlink Member Posts: 3
    If premium is recommended, but the car runs fine on regular ie performance is satisfactory, is there any mpg penalty associated with using the lower octane (87 vs 92). If so how much. If anyone has some concrete info on this (not just seat of the pants opinion) please reply. Thanks
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Fact: The BMW engines are able to compensate for lower grade fuel by retarding the ignition timing when the computer senses "Detonation". When you retard timing on an engine you lose some of the thermal efficiency provided by the advanced timing, and as a result, you will get lower mileage and less power.

A while back, someone on the 3-Series board ran a number of consecutive tanks of low-octane (87) fuel and then the same number of tanks with high-octane (93), trying to duplicate the driving conditions as much as possible. What he found was that the MPG with the high-octane fuel was improved just enough when compared to the MPG of the low-octane fuel to justify its extra cost.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    The cupholders aren't great. The only improvement since 97 is that they removed the ones in the rear seat so they won't break off. The 3er has much different and better cupholders.

For aftermarket solutions see:

http://cup-holders.com

http://drinkholders.com
  • Options
    You may be right about the different gear ratios of a 540iA w/ & w/o sport package. I had never looked into this, since I have never seriously considered an automatic. However, this raises another issue: if there is that much of a difference to cause a 3 mpg (15%+) drop in fuel milage, I suspect the 540iA sport must also accelerate substantially better than the non-sport version with those higher revving gears. This might actually strengthen my case for a 530i 5-speed sport over a 540iA non-sport.

P.S. As further evidence of actual milage, a business associate of mine (2000 540iA sport) and his brother (2000 M5 6-speed) went on a weekend trip together with thier respective wives and one 12 year old in the M5. 500 miles roundtrip, predominantly PA turnpike and through some hilly areas. Averaged 75-80 on highway. 540iA averaged 23.4 mpg, M5 averaged 22.2 mpg. Considerably closer than their EPA ratings would suggest. Also, the M5 actually beat 540 on a previous "contest" to Hilton Head this spring, where speeds averaged 85+ mph.
  • Options
    indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    I have a 2001 540i 6-speed/sport suspension and have averaged 19.7 m.p.g. over 8,000 miles with 70% city/suburb driving. I averaged 26.1 m.p.g. on a 600 mile round trip on mostly interstates and using sixth gear. I have been pleasantly surprised at the gas mileage I have gotten, I expected less. I have somewhat of a lead-foot(can't resist the feel of the V-8), so you can get better or worse all around mileage depending on your driving habits.

The manual does have a different gear ratio versus the automatic, but the auto vs step sport I am not sure.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The final drive (FD) and top gear (TG) for the various 5-Series cars is a follows:

CAR---------------FD----------TG
    540iA------------2.81-------0.80 (5th gear)
    540iA Sport---3.15-------0.80 (5th gear)
    540iM-----------2.81-------0.83 (6th gear)
    M5--------------- 3.15-------0.83 (6th gear)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    sanand5sanand5 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the info regarding cupholders. I'm still surprised BMW hasn't fixed this problem. I also saw information on another forum regarding "european armrest" that doesn't have a notch down the middle. Both items seem to be worth it.

Also, I am very impressed by the fuel economy of the 540iA with Sport. Interestingly, the Sport package on the 530i does not include a more aggressive final drive ratio the way the Sport package does on the 540i. It is true that this change on the 540i does improve acceleration throughout its torque range. But I guess it does not hinder fuel economy as much as BMW states.

Finally, I can get an '01 Titanium Silver 530i (Steptronic, Premium-Sport, Xenons) for $2000 over invoice AND Blue Book Value for my trade ($20,700 for '98 328i with 35K miles). Any thoughts?
  • Options
    hnnhnn Member Posts: 34
    John01, your prev post stated "Steptronic lasts 80K to 100K before it needs major work". What type of major work since the transmission is completely sealed for life? Did this statement clarified with BMW yet? Please share your learnings. Thanks. Hnn
  • Options
    john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    The information is from one of the BMW magazines I subscribe to. I specifically asked for advice on choosing b/w 540i or 530i, and manual vs. step. As most of us found out through our research, the inline-6 seems to have better reliability record than the V-8. Following is what I received from them (not word for word, but in summary):

It seems that with the high mileage cars there are oil leaks that are expensive to repair, failure of oil separator at the back of the intake manifold, phantom coolant leaks, oil pump bolt getting loose and causing leak.

With the transmission, it was initially thought that the sealed autobox was a bad design by manufacturers that it did not allow complete oil drain, but it turns out that it was intended since improper fluid change can potentially start a problem. Whether it is ZF or GM, autoboxes seem to fail consistently around 80,000 to 120,000 so if one is planing on keeping the car for a long time, then the manual is better way to go. Of course with the proper fluid change.

If I am leasing or trading in every 2-3 years, I guess I won't care too much, but I tend to drive well over 100,000 and keep for more than 5-6 years with each car I buy. I would hate to have to replace/rebuild a transmission (which is what I presume when it says 'fail', not explicitly stated) on a $50,000 car. My 95 Integra has 125,000 miles and I have not had to do such work, and I still rev it high often. You may or may not have these problems with your particular car, but my question was which would be better for long term, and based on the information available, it would be the 530i/5spd. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 540i, especially since I drive on the autobahn, but with my plan to keep it for a long time, it makes more sense for me to go with the 530i.

As a side note, I am going to test drive E320 and 530i(step). In Germany, the dealers will allow you to take the car for a day or two for a test drive, which I think is great. Surprisingly, though, BMW dealer says they do not sell many manuals on 530 or 540, hence the autobox on the 530i. If anyone is interested, I will post when I am done (next 2 Saturdays).
  • Options
    rastahmahn2002rastahmahn2002 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everybody,

Well, I've been waiting since 21 August for my 2002 525i. taking ED since I'm in Spain anyway. It's my first BMW (I really wanted the 530 but I wanted all the options, and felt I could live with the lesser power). Delivery to the dealership is Nov. 7th. Titanium Silver, Premium-SPORT, STEPTRONIC, NAV SYS, Gray leather, XENONS, and 6 CD Changer (wish I'd have gotten the Premium sound sys). Price is right at 40k, is that good? The waiting is killing me. Anyway I thought I had all I wanted, but now I want to add a Spoiler, Hamann Mag wheels, Clear corner covers(front), everything. It's crazy!!
    What should I do first?
  • Options
    chrism123chrism123 Member Posts: 47
    I finally made the big decision, and today purchased an 02 530i from Dreher-Holloway. I went with the Premium pkg, XENON's, Step, Cold, Heated Wheel & Premium Sound. Delivery is estimated to be around February/March. I am still unsure of exterior color and have gone with Oxford Green w/ tan interior, for now.

I was able to drive a 98 528i for a few hours and while it had respectable power the 530i just seemed to be on another level. I was considering the 525i but know I'm sure that it wouldn't have enough power.

While it is still a few months away before winter, I would like to hear how your 530i will fare in the snow.

I have yet to see an 02 5-series. Does anyone know if there are changes (exterior/interior) for this model year.
  • Options
    I'm curious, you indicate that you are taking European Delivery delivery of your 525 at the "dealership" on November 7 on an order placed August 21. So you didn't have to go to the factory for European Delivery pick-up? Also, are you having it shipped back to the states and, if so, how long is the estimated time in transit. I am considering ED for a 530 or 540 this winter and would like to compare the schedule my dealer has estimated with your real world experience.

P.S. I have priced out a 530i at $41,500 ($1,300 over ED invoice) with Sport, Premium Pachage, 5-speed, Xenon, Hi-Fi Stereo, and a few other goodies, but no Navigation. Sounds like your "about $40k" is about right, given you have steptronic and navagation.
  • Options
    shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    Anybody hear when they will stick the new 4.5 liter V-8 from the upcoming 745i into the 5 series? I wonder if they will wait for the new 5 series body in 2003 or use this engine in the existing body style sometime early in 2002?
  • Options
    runjohnnyrunrunjohnnyrun Member Posts: 2
    I have received several E-mails regarding the dealership where I was able to negotiate a price of $1200 over invoice. The person to contact is Roy Dennis at Russel BMW. 410.818.3311. I found him very knowledgeable as he mainly deals with ED and internet sales. That price is the best I have seen at any dealership and no-one has matched him. He is willing to extend that offer to anyone from this site. Good luck Steve.
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I think it's supposed to go into the 5 series in early 2002.

dave
  • Options
    I've heard that the new engine won't be available until the redesign which will go on sale in the spring of 2003.
  • Options
    jls21jls21 Member Posts: 40
    Hey - great decision on your 530i. I'm sure your experience at Dreher-Holloway will be as painless as mine was. I will actually do my service at BMW of Peabody - about 10 mins from home and work. Good choices on options. The only one I don't have that you are getting is the premium sound. I will let you know on driveability in snow. I am definitely getting 4 snow tires and will most likely get a second set of wheels. Does anyone have any specific advice on this?

Also, has anyone seen the latest issue of Consumer Reports (the regular magazine, not an auto issue). A friend of mine who subscribes said there is a comparison test including a 530i. He tells me that they elevate our car to a new planet compared to the others. I haven't found it yet at a newsstand, but am curious.

I'm coming up on 5 months and still marvel at my car.
  • Options
    parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Got the Nov issue of Consumer Reports in the mail. I quote "the BMW 530i scored high enough overall to become our top-rated car ever". This is in a test comparing it to the MB E320, Audi A6 and Jaguar S-Type. The only real complaint they had with the car was with the flimsy cupholders.
  • Options
    chrism123chrism123 Member Posts: 47
    If you just received your copy of Consumer Reports (in the mail) then I would expect that it will take another 1-2 weeks before hitting the newsstands. I did search their web site and couldn't find any information on the 530i.
  • Options
    rastahmahn2002rastahmahn2002 Member Posts: 2
    No, I didn't have to go to Germany. I'm taking delivery here in Spain. BMW IBERICA SA. Thanks for the pricing info. Actually the 40K includes a $700.00 delivery charge. The car (US specs) fully loaded was only $39,675. No sales or luxury tax (not yet anyway). As far as shipping it; I'll be here for at least a year, so I'm not sure about transit times.
  • Options
    bimmerpilotbimmerpilot Member Posts: 17
    Ever since I bought my car BMW has been sending me solicitations for their Visa card. I wouldn't mind having it if they are a good customer oriented operation but they have a higher percentage than the card we have now. I was thinking about calling them up and asking them to beat my current card's rate. I'm sure they'll do it but I'd like to hear from some folks that have the card before I switch.

Cheers
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
    I just received a letter from BMWNA regarding the Auxiliary Fan recall. This letter seems to suggest that I should bring it back again even though I already had the fan replaced one month ago. I have also noticed, since I had the original fan replaced, that after I shut the car off it sounds like the fan is still winding down. Has anyone else heard this after shutting the car off? Has anyone else received a second recall notice after having the fan replaced?
  • Options
    tab41tab41 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 528 that sings a metallic noice of clank, clink clang when the engine is turned off. I also here a similar noise when going over hard bumps in the road... I have taken the car in and the response has been that's usual due to the engine cooling down etc.....As for the noise while going over a bump, they replaced a front arm bushing, though the noise is still exist. Has anyone experienced these unpleasant sounds? Any insight would be helpful.
    tab
  • Options
    Try the 5 series board at http://www.bimmer.org/5series/messages/ They probably know just about all the problems you may have with 5 series. They may seem a bit too "passionate" at times, but do have useful informations.

cheeks,

I do remember those guys talking about the fan recall being recalled.

• Options
    I'm not too hot on it. I figured out that i'd be a lot better off by just using my discover card, and using the cashback to make a larger downpayment on future BMW's.

dave
  • Options
    lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    There is a second recall that applies to vehicles that were repaired in the first recall. It is normal for the AUX fan to run after the engine is turned off. I believe it can run for up to 11 minutes.
  • Options
    cloudy1cloudy1 Member Posts: 8
    Waiting for delivery of 2002 530i. Salesman has recommended that I add an extra year to the no cost maintenance coverage bringing it up to 4 years/50000 miles instead of 3 year/36000 miles. The cost is $750.00. Is this another dealer rip off or a good value? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Errr.. no. In an extra year, the MOST that could happen is a service II and an oil change.. At my dealer, that would be $680 for both. At the low end, you may need only an oil change--or nothing!

$750 for this is a very bad gamble. :)

dave
  • Options
    dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Dhanley is right! The extra year you are buying has no major service. I did a 30k miles(free) right before I returned the lease. 98 528. Really not worth it!!

Dan
  • Options
    chesdin4chesdin4 Member Posts: 22
    ditto... used to be in the business. I can assure you the dealer's profit exceeds 50% of the price you would pay on the extended maintenance plan.
  • Options
    cloudy1cloudy1 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the feedback. I figured it might be a gotcha. First time BMW owner, so is there anywhere to look for what services will cost.
  • Options
    gfinegfine Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, I have been reading for several months and just ordered my 02 530 I. My question is, So they make chains for the sport tires found on the sport package. We go to the snow 3-4 times in the winter and will either need chains or I guess winter tires. Any suggestions? By the way we ordered the Sterling grey mettalic..only saw a small swatch, hope I will like it!!!
  • Options
    Each dealer sets their own price for service. Mine has its prices online http://www.sandiabmw.com in the service section.

dave

• Options
    robert111robert111 Member Posts: 11
    Every time I think of chains I remember the gashes a broken chained carved in the rear fender of my 62 Chevie in the winter of that year.

No one crawls around in the snow to install chains and more. Even if you have a garage, you will freeze your [non-permissible content removed] off.

Go to Tirerack.com and read their tests and survey results on snow tires. They seem to like the Bridgestone Blizzaks or Dunlop M2 Winter Sports. They have good prices but you pay shipping and then your local tire shop for mounting and balancing.

I just bought a set of Blizzaks today and paid about $7 per tire more than Tirerack's price, but that included mounting and balancing, and of course, there was no shipping.

Good luck. (Chains! Oh, please!)
  • Options
    Regarding the extended no cost maintenance, the price definitely varies from dealer to dealer. I bought it for $399.00 from Dreher-Holloway in Stratham, New Hampshire. Shop it around.
  • Options
    What is suggested as far as wheels go on snow tires. Is is better to get a separate set of wheels? I also read somewhere that you should drop down a size on the wheels/tires for winter. I'm very ignorant on this subject - anyone have any knowledge?
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    If you leave the snow tires on a set of steel wheels(cheap),you can use them for several winters and avoid labor charges for switching the alloys every fall and spring. the tires should definately be narrower-if you have the sport suspension with "plus one" tires,you could go down an inch,too.
  • Options
    rgc1265rgc1265 Member Posts: 10
    Got a CPO 98 528i last night, 36k miles; first-time BMW owner. What a feeling, driving this car! I can just imagine how it would be for the new ones!!

Test drive a GS300 before getting this; no comparison. GS was too soft, mushy (although radio was better).
  • Options
    rgc1265rgc1265 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone have thoughts on this Stongard product, or similar? Per their website, supposedly better than xpel...they'll charge $327 for the full kit, and $375 extra for installation.

Called my BMW dealer, too, to find out about their version of this...he said he'd recommend against me getting it, because the wax has to be stripped off, and might ruin the paint job...recommended me getting a regular vinyl bra instead...

thoughts, guys and gals?
  • Options
    Just came back from a couple of hours of test drive in a 530i and E320 last Saturday. Good thing about European test drives, they let you take it for a day or so (luxury cars, anyway). Both were automatics.

1. Took them out to the same stretch of autobahn and got them to about 110-120 mph. Both very stable, slight vibrations on the 530 around 40 to 50 mph. Nice growl on the 530, and feels like it has stronger acceleration.
    2. E320 has much better rear room, 530 FEELS only marginally bigger than the 3 series
    3. About equal on the NAV system.
    4. E320 has surprisingly small turning radius, feels better than 530
    5. Had a 18 inch rim with Bridgestone SO2, great handling for a big car. Even with the bigger rim, pretty good ride on cobble stone street, and rough pavement.
    6. Comfort seat with massage was great!
    7. So so sound system, even with the DSP

After all this, my wife says "when do we go order the Bimmer?" Oriental Blue looks very nice on the 5.
  • Options
    brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    I have to retract my recomendation, after several more vists there. In my opinion, they weren't very professional, actually damaged my car while there by backing it into another, removed parts from it w/o permission(apparently to fix another vehicle, but forgot to replace them), repeatedly "forgot" to perform repairs I requested, resulting in repeated return visits to get it right, and never once apologized.
  • Options
    g_carg_car Member Posts: 46
    Just passed 3500 miles on our '01 525i Sport w/ all the extras. It was either a 530i without the Sport or a 525i with. Very happy with the 525i plenty of power, very smooth and handles like a dream. Brakes are GREAT! Yesterday driving back from an outing down in Baltimore Inner Harbor young kid decided to cross traffic without looking darted away from his mother, I saw him out of the corner of my eye and just stood on the brakes, was going around 35 mph, never felt a car stop as quickly with about 5 feet to spare. The mother mouthed a Thank You. My wife just gasped, it happened so quickly she just looked at me an said I'm glad we decided on the Bimmer. Thank You BMW! Only down side went with the Orient Blue and Gray interior, I know where I'm going to spend the the extra $$$ I saved over the 530i, ... cleaning supplies but it does look great esp. with the Angel Eyes. Oh Well small price to pay.
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
    Has anyone heard a faint "fan noise" inside the cabin that seems to come on and off when driving. I think that it may have something to do with the climate control. I appreciate any feedback.
  • Options
    g_carg_car Member Posts: 46
    Probably the aux. fan, its very loud if you're standing outside when it cranks up sounds like a jet engine spooling up. BMW has over eng. the cooling system to keep up with the 100+ mph speeds on the Autobahn for extended periods of time.
  • Options
    I can't believe it! Just put 16.1 gallons of 93 octane premium gas for $20.43. Paid $1.269 per gallon. Now if it will just decline another 27 cents per gallon..............................