Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I agree with you - I'm merely saying, I wouldn't have expected that from Lexus. The service aspect is very encouraging as well. I do understand they are machines. I was not being critical.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Didn't think you were critical at all. It just goes to show you the quality level Lexus is at and what we have come to expect. That's why I said "I agree with you" at the beginning of the post. We are starting to think they can do no wrong. But no one is that good. But personally I do think that Lexus has risen to a sustained quality level that no auto mfr. has ever reached on an unsustained basis.
    Clearly, Lexus is setting the bar and we pretty much do (at least I do) expect perfection from them. Thank goodness for Toyota and Lexus though. Were it not for them, primarily, everybody else would be building cars at a much lower level of performance, reliability and quality than they are, don't you think?
    Agree for the most part. Honda and Acura would also set the bar high but they don't have the size or clout (or esteemed vehicles like the LS and LX) to force the market to react the way Toyota and Lexus do. If I was a European car maker I'd start to get very worried about Toyota/Lexus as they start to penetrate Europe and most importantly start to build cars there. Once it's built in Europe the Europeans are mass buyers but they resist imports fiercely until the plants are built. I'm sure Detroit can give them the details of what can happen in case they missed it.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    I just bought a Honda Accord for my son, and there is quality with the build in a much simpler form and competitive price with Toyota. In that price point, it just seems that Honda has that edge.

I am still in the first 5000 miles in my GX....no problems and no complaints, but I miss my LS and am looking for that perfect deal on a (new) late year 2004 for a possible swap.

I remain convinced that there is no finer luxury vehicle for the money. Did you take a Mod Lux or Custom Lux...and why? Sport suspension? I assume your experience has been very good as with your 2001 LS.

Thanks

Bill
    I took the custom lux. I would have taken the mod lux with Euro but it was impossible to get a Euro in the time frame I needed the car in. I liked the laser cruise and I love the upgraded interior plus - in the balck interior I have - I got beautiful antique walnut wood not available in the modern lux. The door closers are another added benefit. This car is phenomenal. Take the experience you had with the 2001 and put a 20-25% premium on it and you have the 2004. The six speed is incredibly smooth and adds nice power. I was in the Audi two weeks ago and couldn't wait to get back to the LS. Just a nicer luxury experience and better ride and so much more user friendly. I also love the GX and just came back from the NC coast in it. It really rides great and I never had that vibration that people talk about. Have 7500 miles on it now and my wife is the primary driver but she takes the LS at every chance. Also have about 7,000 miles on the LS and its flawless. I find this LS is the best body build ever and it also has tighter handling (though you had the euro so you wouldn't feel it in a custom lux) and a spectacularly smooth ride. But if you do take a 2004 take a lease because the new LS in 2006 (or possibly 2007 as a spring 2007 car) is going to be a trendsetting car particularly in hybrid form.
  • stanfranstanfran Member Posts: 5
    The LS430 is a terrific car. Those are very talented fellows, those Lexus people in Japan. Kudos. But I have one complaint. The writing in the instruction manual. It's a very tough read. Now I understand English isn't their native tongue, but there's some very talented writers out there who would be thrilled to get the work. The service manual in my old Cavalier was informative, entertaining and occasionally even witty. Shouldn't have included it in the trade in.
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    I am looking to buy a 2001 LS 430 with 25K miles. Would I be entitled to the original warranty of 4 years 50K? The bank currently owns the car but if I were to buy it and ask a dealer to certify the vehicle what could I expect to pay?
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I understand that one can purchase extended warranty from Lexus up to 36 months or 36,000 miles. Don't know if this helps. The dealer indicated that it costs them about $2000 to get the car into the "certified" extended warranty when they have a trade in they want to certify. I suggest you call a Lexus dealer or Lexus customer service and ask them.
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    thanks i was told i was better off going through the dealer then getting an extended warrant via the bank.
    If you would like to see more comments, type in "Extended Warranty" in the "Search this Discussion" box and it will bring up other's previous comments on the subject. Good Luck.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    The Lexus dealership is reportedly moving someplace "West" of Charleston, if you know what I mean.
    Much closer to you and I.
  • stanfranstanfran Member Posts: 5
    The LS430 is a terrific car. Those are very talented fellows, those Lexus people in Japan. Kudos. But I have one complaint. The writing in the instruction manual. It's a very tough read. Now I understand English isn't their native tongue, but there's some very talented writers out there who would be thrilled to get the work. The service manual in my old Cavalier was informative, entertaining and occasionally even witty. Shouldn't have included it in the trade in.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    I complained to my dealer about errors in the navigation system. It wanted me to make a left turn where that was not allowed. It had me going the wrong way on a one-way street. And in one case it guided me to a point about half a mile from the address that I had input.

Now I realize that geography changes rapidly here in Southern California, but the latest map in my 2001 didn't have these kinds of errors.

My dealer said they expect a new Nav disk out by November, but she couldn't say if it would still be from the same vendor (as opposed to the one they used in the 2001).
    What would be good yearend pricing level on 2004 LS....Mod Lux or Custom Lux with Smart Key. Thx
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    Ron,

How do they replace this? Is the leather velcro'ed down or something? How much time was required?

I just came back after a week at Club Med, so I didn't check my seats to see if the impressions have disappeared. I do hope I don't have to replace them. The creases were over the entire back seating cushions.

Thanks,

Paul
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    I had my trani/fuel pump replaced today at Mission Viejo Lexus; they done a beautiful job and filled my gas tank, that's a class act. swiftm
    Sorry, I did not have the Aniline seats in the 2003, just the regular leather cover without holes in it. I left it for the day and they took the old cover off and replaced it. I am not aware of the process. Good luck.
    Get the Invoice pricing from Consumer Reports or online. Add $500 to $1000 to that and use it as your firm price.
    On Custom Lux, I am being offered $6100 off MSRP; that's about $2800 over invoice by my calulations and data source. The will will be a year old as soon as I drive it away. I am trading a 5 month old GX470, because I just miss the LS too much. They will make money on this too.

Thanks for the input.
    Go to other dealers with the 500-1000 over invoice. It's important to get your dealer to outbid the others.

I got quotes from 3 of the largest dealers in my area around New York back in July 2003, and ended paying 900 over invoice on a 2003 Ultra lux with aniline.
    I saw your problems with the dealer. It wasn't ray catena that gave you the problems if I remember right. Hope they got resolved. How has the car been?
    Hi,

No, it's not Ray Catena, RC has been nothing but an elite of Lexus service center since I bought it from them.

The accident was in New York, and they have fixed the bumper and body scratch. It's not the same as before, but hard for anyone except myself to "really" notice.

What's frustrating is the creases on the back aniline seats now. I still have not the chance since returning to inspect my LS, as I am still working through 10 days worth of market closes, emails, and vacation pictures.

I tell ya, Leonard, although the NY dealer screwed up, the service manager has been nothing but professional and has never delayed in answering my calls and emails. I guess it's just hard to find the best workers these days.

Paul
    After driving the RX330 and ES330 as loaner for 3 weeks, I totally was thrilled to drive the LS430 home 2 Fridays ago. It is just so much smoother, quieter, and more comfortable than these 2 already great cars.

The minor noise from body panels when new has somewhat gone away. I do still have only 2800 miles on the 2003 LS, so it's hard to predict what it'll do.

The accident is sort of a mixed blessing, it's bad that it happened, but did served as a reminder that I am lucky to have a LS430 in the 1st place.

Paul
    I'm up to 7600 miles on my 2004 car since the end of March. It's been perfect and I couldn't be happier with it. On my GX someone put a purposeful scratch on the driver side door. I am trying to buff it out but I just wish I could understand what makes people do such things. The GX is a $52K vehicle so if it's jealousy I don't get it as there are many more expensive cars and suv's out there. Other than the scratch it's been perfect as well. I like the RX but when you get accustomed to an LS there's really nothing like it. I had warned my buddy wbwynn (we have shopped together since 2001) about that.

Ray Catena is as first class as they come.
    You did warn me, and the GX is a great SUV, but the LS was just perfect in every way. I have an offer in on a 04' custom lux at $900 over invoice....Flint with Ecru. They are giving me a great trade in on the GX which only has 4200 miles. The way I look at it; it was just a 5 month lease to get it out of my system!

I hope I can get this done, but we are still a couple of thousand away. I even agreed to let them put their 1% advertising charge on the invoice. Any ideas?
    Could be jealousy, could be prejudice, could be random, but it sucks no matter what. I have been victimized like that a couple of times myself. The worst was one night I came out of a meeting, and my (Lincoln) hood ornament had been clipped off, which happens a lot actually, but they had thrown it back onto the hood! Didn't even want it for their chain around their necks! Humiliating. Found out everybody's Lincoln had been attacked there that night.

A couple of months ago, somebody pulled the insignia off the back of my Navigator and took it. (It's plastic, why would you want that?) Oh, well..... I guess that's why we have insurance.
    The issue is the GX trade. What does the GX work out to be if you look at it as a lease? My GX is $725 ($51K MSRP) a month so if your GX worked out to be a figure where you retained 85-90% of the price you paid (excluding sales tax) it would probably be a very good deal. Are you buying or leasing the LS? Flint Mica is a gorgeous color but I thought they stopped that color in the custom lux package.

How did you find the 2004 test drive vs. the 2001? The experience - in my opinion is a 20-25% premium over the great experience we had with the 2001.

Let me know what you do.
    Whatever it is - it's annoying and it really gets you angry because its so mindless and insensitive. It seems to happen in supermarket and mall parking lots. The latter would likely be teenagers having their version of fun. But I don't see many teenagers shopping for groceries so I doubt its them in the supermarket parking lots.
    They drift through parklng lots though. I think it's kids•
    The worst case happened to my friend back in 1986, when he parked his 69 red Corvette at work for the weekend. He's one of those who parks out in no man's land. He found a key scratch across the entire right side. It has to be a co worker, as this was a government plant. He was totally crushed.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Boy, that is really tough. My new LS430 got 3 major door hits by someone while parked in the close-in lot at O'Hare the first month I had it this year. Still haven't taken time to go get them repaired but it sure hurts everytime I see that door. I had parked next to a new E-class when I arrived and found the spot empty when I got back from my trip and the paint on my door was not from the E-class, different color. I think someone pulled in, slammed their door into mine a couple of times and then pulled out. I'd almost like to have the electrical charge in the door like the BMW in the last Bond movie had to severely shock people grabbing the handle without the SmartKey in their pocket!
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I parked my beemer in a lot several months ago when I noticed a small scratch mark on the plastic molding just behind the left rear wheel. Then several weeks later I found several new additions made with the same consistency as the first scratch in the same location on the car. This was no accident. Several body shops told me it would cost around $350 to fix because they have to remove the rear bumper and paint the entire plastic molding . It's a leased vehicle so I will have it fixed a week before turning it in. Vandalism is not restricted to LS's.
    Some lease programs allow for scratches and dents that are no longer or larger than a credit card.
    My leases have an insurance policy in them (that I buy) which will cover me for $500 in damage to the car at lease end. It's called
    WearCare.
    Chase leases have a $1500 allowance built into them.
    In the 1980,s I had a MB300D which I kept garaged at all times. I parked in front of the house for only a few minutes about 10 PM. When I came out to put the car away, there were three young teens around the car and the emblem on the trunk was gone and the emblem on the hood was missing. They told me that it was older teen agers that they witnessed the crime. I walked across the street to the police station (very small town) and the police came and interviewed the witnesses. A few weeks later, I received a letter from the police department indicating they had located my damaged emblems on the flat roof of the building next door to where the car was parked. They also found that the young teens that were the witnesses turned out to be the culprits. The Police indicated that the young teens would make restitution of the emblems cost. I quoted them $26 and received two checks over the following months. There was no visible damage to the automobile. I replaced the emblems with the kids money and hoped that maybe they learned a lesson? I finally ended up trading the car in after ten years, still without a scratch or blemish on the paint. End of story.
    Thanks Paul. The scratches fit well within the dimensions of a credit card. I will let BMW tell me whether I need to get those scratches fixed or not at the vehicle inspection before I turn it in.
    Howard
    Don't even let them know. See if they notice it. If you're taking another BMW they'll look at it more kindly anyway. Chances are they have some built in allowance that you may not even know about.
    Thank you for your help. They may indeed use the scratches as leverage to keep me in a new BMW.
    Howard
    I was stupid enough to spend $200 for a dent removal on my last lease vehicle, since I did not know about the credit card rule for Mercedes.

I think BMW and Mercedes have the same rule. Lexus seems to have more strict rules.
    I've turned in a lot of leased cars. I've never had the dealer whine about any incidental damage on a Lincoln lease - however, I did lease another Lincoln each time.
    Same experience with Lexus vehicles I turned in. Never heard a word and they had their share of scratches and dings after 3 years. I drive the truck lanes of the NJ turnpike (faster and an extra lane) and its impossible not to get a chip in the hood on that road.
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    My wife's 03 LS is 19 months old and has only 8,000 miles on it. Changed oil at 5K in February 04 and now have 3,000 miles on new oil but am concerned about service life of oil. Normally I change oil every 5,000 miles but this is the first car that I have put so little mileage on that I had a concern about changing oil due to age rather than miles. I estimate that I will have next oil change in February 05 which means current oil in crankcase will be one year old. Any thoughts on miles vs time when determining oil change interval would be appreciated. I know that I have read articles in the past about engine oil breaking down after a certain period of time but don't know what that time period might be.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I acquired my 78 Porsche Targa in 83 and have never put enough mileage on it annually to warrant more than one oil change every 12 months. Now at 96K miles, but have always used Mobil 1.
  • billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    Lexus Corporate Customer Service Department states oil should be changed at earlier of 5,000 miles or 6 months for the 2003 LS. This is a change from 5,000 miles/4 months as stipulated in the owner's manual.
    Leonard,

Please don't drive on the truck lanes. I took it once while on route to Ray Catena, these large vehicle drivers do 75 and don't give an inch. Not worth it! Besides, it isn't any faster there.

Paul
  • niceputtniceputt Member Posts: 23
    Have a 2004 LS430. Superb in almost every way. The DVD NAV is awful. Misses locations by up to one mile. Routinely, fastest route has been missed by indicating freeway routes that are as much as 35 miles lengthier. Shows destinations as much as one mile from actual location and streets that are up to half a mile from actual in places actually occupied by structures. Voice recognition awful. Especially when not stopped in quiet place. The other day nine "Zoom In" commands were responded to with half a dozen different POI's, none of which remotely sounded like the command (e.g.,"Gas Stations"). Yesterday was on a drive to Los Angeles and taking an off ramp into a very congested area. I needed to get a quick look at upcoming streets that were not visible without zooming in. As I approached the ramp I commanded "Zoom In". The command response was "Guidance Cancelled". Talk about being left in a lurch. I've checked with other 2004 LS430 owners and could not find anyone else with these problems.I notified a dealer near my home in the San Francisco bay area six months ago. They acknowledged the problem and said that Lexus was working on it. Said I would hear from them in 30 days. After six weeks without any contact I wrote them. After 2 weeks with no reply, I called. Bottom line is that they will not repair or provide a working system and I simply have to keep waiting. I am REALLY furious as that nav complex as I recall cost about 9-11k. Should I send my legal staff over there or do you think Lexus USA would be responsive?
    Have you called Lexus at 1-800-255-3987 and request to report a serious problem with your LS430? If not, set up a case and get the number. If all else fails, then send your lawwyers in. Before that, keep it cordial.

Paul
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I too find that voice commands on my '04 LS430 routinely are misinterpreted but figured its a combination of my mixture of accents after moving around a lot and not knowing exactly what commands to use. Sad to hear you are finding it too, or maybe that is a positive. I find myself using the touch controls more than voice.

My wife has a 2001 MDX with Nav that we both find intuitive to use and so easy to work, even on the move. It's so user friendly to use the job stick to advance along a route and see what is coming vs. touch, touch, touch, etc. Am anxious to see the new Odyssey Nav system as that may be the replacement for the MDX instead of the Sienna which we have been planning. As for my LS, this is a real annoyance but since we live in a rural community I don't find great occasion to use the Nav on a regular basis.

Let us know when you hear something please.