Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• hclllhclll Member Posts: 35
    The $5000 discount is available again. DOes anybody knows if the 1.9APR is still available? Looks like a good time to buy now.
  • cagreenthumbcagreenthumb Member Posts: 5
    I talked to a dealer in southern California and they are taking $6,000 off the sticker for 2002 models plus adding 50,000 miles more to the warranty. Trying to decide if I should buy the 2002 or 2003 S60. If they are dealing on the 2002s, I think this would be a better choice. Any suggestions?
  • ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    If you can find one that you like and will be happy with (color, options, etc.), then go for it. That's definately a steal. If you find yourself looking at a discounted 2002 on the lot and thinking, "if it only had..." then you may want to consider getting a 2003 exactly to your specs.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    No longer offered on the 2003 Volvos
  • niel3niel3 Member Posts: 9
    The 1.9 APR ended on April 25.

niel
    Just leased a 2003 S60 and one of the papers for me to sign was the Lease WearCare Addendum. I've read it a couple of times and it is all lawyer talk to me. Can anyone explain in laymans term exactly what the WearCare Addendum is exactly? For example, will it pay for the new tires required at the end of the 3-year lease? Exactly what is it?

Thanks in advance...
    Niel
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    How long do vehicles stay in the "future vehicles" section? Until they are discontinued/replaced?
    I read on a web site that Volvo is offering $4500 Cash to Dealer marketing support from 05/01/2003 to 06/30/2003. What does this mean, is this an incentive to be passed onto the buyer, if so, is it a rebate? How does it work and how can I find out more about it?
    Any recommendations on whether to buy the 2.4 with options or 2.4T? Is there a noticeable difference in driving the 2.4T versus the 2.4?
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    cagreenthumb, 40bhp more in the 2.4T would definitely make my mind up real fast! Unless you like to shift for yourself...2.4T all the way.
    Wearcare will not pay for tires.
    It will pay for dents, dings, scuff, scrapes etc.
    It will not pay for maintenance, or accident damage that your insurance company would ordinarily cover.
    Dealer incentives are not rebates.
    A rebate is money from the manufacturer to the customer. The dealer can't touch a rebate.
    Dealer money is just that, money for the dealer.
    Most dealers will use that money to sell the car, either by increasing the discount off MSRP or by overallowing on the trade-in.
    2.4 vs 2.4T, no question if you can afford it go for the turbo.
    Nicer car, you can get it with 17" wheels, a power passenger seat and geartronic.
    None of which are available on the 2.4
    Lots more passing power too.
  • nolaanolaa Member Posts: 2
    Hey folks, I just registered today and this is my first post in this forum. I am seriously considering an S60 as our next family car. I have done my research and am pretty sure about what I want. However, it has proven difficult to find the car I want AND take advantage of the strong leasing program offered in the US. The car I want is as follows:

Base Engine
    Manual Transmission
    Exterior: Black - non metallic
    Interior: Taupe Leather
    Premium Package
    No other options

I have no preference between MY2003 and MY2004, and I can wait a few months for this. I just need to get a good deal on it.

Bottom line: I want a 48m/12k lease for under $350 (tax included) with little or no money down. Am I dreaming?

That said, I need tips on locating/ordering the car I want, but not get burned on the lease rates. My dealer said right off the bat that manuals are not available (although he didn't really do a search) and was the "buy off the lot today or get burned tomorrow" type. Any ideas are welcome!
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    I have a base 2.4 manual tranny S60 and I love it. I had no desire to get the slushbox, so the 2.4T was out, and I couldn't afford the T5. IMHO, the base engine has enough power for the average driver. It's got pretty decent passing power, but only so-so power from a stop. Still, I'd rather have the 2.4 and shift myself than the 2.4T and have my right hand and left foot go numb.

It was difficult to find a MT here in Columbus. When I got mine it was the only one on the lot. I've never seen an MT w/ any options for the base S60 around here.
  • nolaanolaa Member Posts: 2
    "I've never seen an MT w/ any options for the base S60 around here"

So you don't have any options whatsoever?
    i have on my visor the buttons 1 - 2 - 3. I'm assuming they can be programmed to open the garage door. in my volvo manual....there is no instruction on how to do this. can anyone help me here?

niel
  • aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    The S60 model with the manual transmission here in South Florida was also a base model with no options - cloth seats, no power seats. The power is acceptable for stick-shift but I imagine the automatic would be too slow for me.

It would be great if there were a manual S60 with the Premium package but most Volvo drivers prefer automatic transmissions unless they upgrade to the T5 model, I guess
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    That's a homelink system, look in the manual if you can't find it, try www.homelink.com.

Dave
    I don't know where you live, but here in NJ, that kind of money will get you:

2.4t automatic
    premium pkg (leather/sunroof)
    Climate pkg

Neighbor just leased one for $1200 down and $330 per month for 36 months.

Dave
    Guys,

Just thought I'd share, if you have the hu6xx radio (single cd), you can improve the sound considerably by using the "hidden equalizer" Check out this link:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/p_bruno/volvo/Audio_System_HU803_Hidden_- Menus.pdf

the instructions say that they're for the hu8xx, but they'll work for the hu6xx as well.

Here's the settings I use, they're a good starting point:

Front Low 1: 2
    Front Low 2: 3
    Front Mid: 4
    Front High: 6
    Rear Low: 6
    Rear Mid: 5
    Rear High: 6

Hope this helps

Dave
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    Nope - no options at all. Not even metalic paint. The MSRP on my S60 was $27,030, IIRC.
    Hard car to find.
    There are some out there thta are just base manuals, but I doubt that you will find a leather equipped manual .
    If anything you'd have to take the full prem pkg.
    Its very late in the year to try and find one though
  • dbd1146dbd1146 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to lease a 2003 S60 AWD with most of the options (but not the high-end navigation or 6-CD package). Does $491 for 48 mths with $1,000 down sound decent?

BTW, I've got an 2000 S40 (about to be turned in) and a 2001 V70. How will the S60 AWD compare? We live near snow and are looking forward to skiing without chains.

Any other helpful hints would be appreciated...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    So, what are we talking about here? A sticker of about $36K-$37K? Invoice down around $34,5K or so. And, with Volvo's current $4500 dealer cash, that brings it right down near $30grand even.

$24,500 in lease payments on a $30K car seems pretty steep to me. I'm really not a leasing guru or anything, so I don't know. I'm just going by these numbers. I guess as long as the buyout in the end is like $10K, then its ok. But that is if you want to buy it out. If you want to just turn it over at the end of the lease, I would think you'd want a better deal than that.

Shop it around. Email some other dealers with the car that you want and the options and ask them what their best lease rate is.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

You mentioned Volvo's current $4500 dealer cash -what does this mean for me if I am planning to buy? As I see it, this amount should be knocked off the sticker, then there should be room for further negotiating. Any thoughts?
    Actually it should be knocked off of INVOICE, not sticker.
    You should be getting a Volvo close to invoice, THEN getting them to knock off the dealer cash. Just so you know, dealer cash is cash for the dealer, not you. So they are under NO obligation to tell you about it. You have to let them know that you know about it and would like to take it into consideration. If this dealer isn't willing to deal like that, then move on. I suggest looking at Carsdirect.com. Get the pricing from there and bring that with you as ammo. If they can't at least match it, then go to the next guy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• faaifaai Member Posts: 2
    Are there any significant differences between the 2003 and 2004?
    Is the 2004 4-C (DSTC) the same as the one available in the 2003 model?
    The only change to the 04 is that the S60 2.4T becomes a 2.5T.
    Goes from 197hp to 208 hp, with a boost in torque as well.
    DSTC and the 4C chassis concept are NOT the same thing.
    4C only available on the R in the S60 lineup for 04.
  • hclllhclll Member Posts: 35
    Please let us know about your new purchase price.

thanks
    Anyone know anything about this or have this feature - is it worth it to pay for this option and is it available in the S60?
  • aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    It appears that there are two differences between the 2003 and 2004 S60's.

First the 2.4T model has been upgraded to a 2.5T engine with 208 horsepower and 236 torque, a 5% upgrade on horsepower but almost a 20% upgrade on torque. Does this mean there is a significant improvement in acceleration in normal driving conditions (either from a stop or when passing on a 2-lane highway)?

Second routine maintenance is now included for 3 years and 30,000 miles which makes the Volvo S60 more similar to the Saab 9-3 and other competitors like Mercedes and BMW.

Do these changes make it worth purchasing the 2004 S60 instead of the 2003 model? I am considering waiting until Spring 2004 so there will be incentives on the 2004 models similar to the current incentives on the 2003 models.
  • frank139frank139 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a '03 S60 Auto w/Metallic, Climate, Premium, MSRP = $31,995, Net = $25495 plus an additional $1500 check back as a current Volvo owner ('02 XC70)from a Loyalty promotion. Financed at 4.9%/48 not thru Volvo.
  • bcj2bcj2 Member Posts: 17
    Cagreenthumb, yes, you can get on call plus on the '03 (or '04) S60. I'm waiting for the '04 BMW 530 before making a purchase decision but narrowed the choices between the S60AWD and the BMW 530. I've done a ton of research on the S60. The on call plus worls like a built-in cell phone w/ dialing keypad next to the radio. The cath is whether the system will work w/ your existing cell provider. Apparently, it does NOT work w/ mine - Sprint.
  • companymancompanyman Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like a great deal. What state did you purchase in? Part of the reduction from MSRP to your purchase price must be the marketing support money from the factory. How hard did you have to negotiate before the dealer gave that up? Also, where did you find out about the "loyalty" rebate?
  • frank139frank139 Member Posts: 2
    Bought the S60 in Connecticut...it was our 3rd Volvo in 5 years from the same Dealer...did not negotiate hard because of past relationship w/Salesman and my knowledge of available incentives on Edmunds...The Loyalty rebate came in the mail from Volvo Finance.
  • companymancompanyman Member Posts: 3
    I am shopping around in Connecticut. Would you share the name of the dealership and the salesperson? I am just looking for a fair deal with as little posturing as possible.

Thanks in advance.
  • pegleggerpeglegger Member Posts: 40
    Have the R's arrived at dealers yet? Has anyone been able to compare the manual versus automatic? I've ordered an automatic and I'm a little nervous about the performance difference in the two (above and beyond normal difference between auto and stick).

Also, any advice on the stereo upgrade? I ordered mine w/standard stereo and I'm just wondering if I should revise my order (I think it's about $1200; $800 w/sunroof pkg, which mine has). Worth it?

Thanks!
    Had a chance to briefly drive our first car, a manual of course.

Wow, the engine is amazing!
    Spins up very fast, very smooth. The gearbox is better than any Volvo gearbox I've been around.
    The suspension modes are alot of fun. Sport seems to be the best for everyday use. The advanced setting is too stiff.

Frankly, the car only works as a manual.
    I've seen the data on the automatic and it isn't worth the $.
    The 2004 S60 2.5T will be quicker than the auto R, and alot less $$$.

Go for the manual if you can, the car will be alot more rewarding.
    Also thumbs up for the stereo upgrade.
    I've got the upgrade stereo in my C70 and I really enjoy having it.
  • nhaukapnhaukap Member Posts: 2
    Max - how is it the 2.5T will be quicker than the R, with nearly 100 fewer horses (92 to be exact) and about 65 fewer ft/lb torque? Certainly more than enough to make up for the weight difference. Just curious... :-)

(And thanks for the insights on the R...I've got a V70R ordered, and while it was no small feat, I managed to convice my wife the manual would be superior (same with the stereo upgrade, too)...good to hear favorable remarks from you.)
    Well, I'm stuck with the automatic, but I do wonder also how the 0-60 times can suffer that badly.

I know it's more money, but I do look forward to the Atacama Leather and suspension settings, so I'm popping for the extra dough.

I don't have a choice as far as an everyday driver (I have a fake leg), but I do plan on taking the manual out for a spin in August in Gothenburg on the Volvo test track. Then I'll really find out how much I miss out on. I can drive a stick, but not practical all the time.

Thanks for the tip on the stereo. I'll call the rep tomorrow and see if I can still revise my order. It's only $$$.

Thanks.
    According to Volvo the R auto 0-60 times is @ 7.2 sec.
    The 2004 S60 2.5T 0-60 is 6.9 sec.
    The R auto, nicely equipped is @ $43,000
    The 2.5T nicely equipped is @ $35,000

Remember, Volvo is limiting the torque in 1st and 2nd gears in the R auto, so all the horses don't show up. Plus the auto R is rated at 258 ft-lbs only, the 2.5T rating is 236 ft-lbs
    Thanks for rubbing it in!

I just couldn't resist the R, anyway. Plus, I went with the Overseas Delivery and it's pretty ritzy for the 20 R customers this August, so I just couldn't pass it up.

My R is 40,370 with Atacama, roof, climate, paint options. Of course the trip is $3900 on top of that (but that includes business class tickets, meals, suite for 4 nights, an extended stay at the track, and a day cruise on a yacht).

I have had some second thoughts about maybe going with the 2.5T, although I would have given up AWD on top of the other things. Oh well....
  • nhaukapnhaukap Member Posts: 2
    Ah, yes...I'd forgotten how hobbled the auto R is in the torque department (relative to the manual, that is). Although, I thought I had read a spec somewhere that stated a 0-60 time for the auto R sedan as 6.8, but can't find it now, so you're likely right. And I wasn't aware the the 2.5T was that quick, either - that 6.9 is a bit of a surprise! All the more reason I'm glad to have ordered the manual!
    are you comparing the auto R to the manual 2.5T? You must be. How can the 0-60 of the 2.5 be better in the 2.5T than the auto T5?

• amazonamazon Member Posts: 293
    Then where did those acceleration numbers come from? I find it REALLY hard to believe that the 2.5T, which weighs more than the '98 T5 and has less torque and hp, can beat out the T5. I'd have to see this for myself.

But maybe the source for this 6.9 seconds has better numbers for the T5?? I've seen right around 7 seconds for the T5 (6.4 for the manual listed here on edmunds). Even if we're talking a dead heat, something is amiss. I would attribute it to the extra gear (that's a 5-speed auto, right?), but it still has to overcome the power and weight deficit.

AND, what are the numbers from that source for the '04 T5?

There is no manual 2.5T available in the US.
    My comparison was between the 2.5T and R auto.
    Numbers come from Volvo.
    Also, the T5 auto is rated at 6.7 sec to 60 mph.

The 98 T5 had 243 ft-lbs @ 2700 rpm.
    Best 0-60 time for the auto that I saw was 6.5 sec.
    The issue with the T5 is the fact that the engine must be wound up higher than the 2.5T to achieve the desired performance.
    The T5's performance advantage starts at 60 mph and goes up to its top speed. The faster you go in a T5 the faster it gets. Same with the R auto.
    Here in America we generally don't try to accelerate at speeds over 100 mph like they do in Europe.
    We find low speed acceleration to be more important, this is why the 2.5T feels faster and why its 0-60 times are competitve with the more powerful T5 and R auto. Now if you looked at the 0-100 times you would see a much bigger discrepancy.
    that IS better 0-60 times than published in mags for the 98 T5. I wonder if mine actually does 6.5? :)

But Edmunds also says peak torque on the '98 is at 2100, not 2700. Is 27 what volvo says? Are you able to access Volvo's published numbers for older cars? Am I able to get that view that info somewhere?

I think it would be interesting to see what all 3 might be able to do with new ECUs. I wonder if the bigger displacement in the 2.5 could help it boost up to higher torque levels than a boosted T5. I'm sure the size of the turbo would be a big factor, but it would still probably spool up faster in the 2.5. Hmmmmmmm...

oh, I can attest to the unbelievable punch from 60-100++ in my T5. Woohoo! Too bad there really is no place to do it safely on a regular basis.

Volvo does publish a book for their salespeople about the older cars. Edmunds is wrong.
    98 T5 peak torque is at 2700 rpm, you can feel this because below that speed the engine pulls slowly, above 2700 rpm the fun starts.

A boosted T5 will always beat a boosted 2.5T, because of the larger turbo on the T5.
    When I originally bought it, I read the peak was at 1800. I always knew this was off. However, I can say the fun definitely starts before 2700. The lag is not THAT bad. And a little brake standing up to 2K does tend to lay some rubber. I won't say it doesn't peak at 27, but it certainly doesn't lack from about 2K up until that peak. And now that I've adjusted the wastegate actuator rod a bit, it does feel less laggy when starting from a dead stop (i think new spark plugs and air filter helped, too :) ).

by the way, looked up some other sources:
    msn auto says peak is 2400
    carfolio.com says 2400
    my volvo owner's circle says 2700

of course, I would trust Volvo to know what their car does, but it is weird that other sources don't publish the same numbers as Volvo.