Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Let's try this again...Is this huge plastic arc attached to the wheel well with plastic rivets the part that is disintegrating (which by the way is called a liner)? If so, than good luck trying to get it replaced under warranty. It is not a warranty item, especially after 50k of wear. It serves NO purpose. You could drive around for years without one and nothing will happen. Maybe you don't want to hear this, but sorry, it's true. I think where the miscommunication occured is you consider the wheel well to be something different than I do. Again, this plastic arc is not the cause of your leaking headlights.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I have not nor would I suggest that driving an Elantra "will be a good indication" of how a Tib drives, an absurd notion. The fact remains that the Tib is based on the Elantra platform. Moving on, please.
  • Options
    sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    An update of what's happening . . . .

The resolution consists of (1) a patronizing letter from Hyundai, (2) a very reasonable agreement with the service department manager of how this car will be fixed.

The reality is this car is quite disappointing: I've really grown quite disgusted with how it's nickel-and-diming me to death. I really, truly shoulda bought a pair of Civics or Corollas instead. Add me to the list of disgusted owners.

Sorry I don't have better news to share - I wish I did, given I was at least as hopeful as most new owners four years ago.

Oh well - live and learn, eh?

Good luck to the rest of the new owners. I am, frankly, not going to repeat the experience (which I hope to end sometime in either 2004 or 2005).

Oh - and in the interest of being fair . . . my dealer truly does an *EXCELLENT* job at customer care. It was simply a matter of speaking up and saying, "Hey! This ain't right!"
  • Options
    Not trying to be mean, but it really seems like you are being a bit over-dramatic about the whole thing. From what you have reported here, I see 4 problems: a cracked headlight that allowed water to get in (fixed under warranty), 1 bad power window motor (fixed under warranty), warped front rotors (a common problem on many cars, not sure who paid to fix that), and a cracked plastic wheel well liner that you would have to pay for. Umm..nothing here says the car is junk or that it has been unreliable. 4 problems in 50k miles is nothing to get all fiesty over. If there are more serious concerns, by all means, please report them, but I really don't see why you are so upset and disgusted. I've seen cars with far worse problems with less mileage, including my sister's 00 Honda Odyssey. And if that's 4 problems between 2 Sonatas than I really don't see what you are complaining about. Do you really expect absolutely nothing to go wrong with a car in 50k??
  • Options
    wpbharrywpbharry Member Posts: 399
    Some friendly advice from a "lurker" (I don't lurk in the Malibu forums, rather, I'm VERY well-known).

You might wish to spend a few hours reviewing the posts over the last 9 months for the Accord (in particular), Camry, 6 and Altima. They are fairing worse than the Sonata (plus you have to drain the bank account to get those hideous problems).

I'll be in the market next summer, and after a list of approx. 10 candidates (including those listed above), it's come down to '04 Sonata LX vs. '04 Malibu (or Maxx) LT.

Yes, the Sonata blows away the good 'ol Honda (well, used to be good, no more) in terms of value for the dollar and reliability, among other things.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    sonatabean... Concur with Ingtonge18. You really don't seem to have had too many problems, nothin' overly serious. Just surf around to see problems had by owners of almost any premium marque. Just be glad you didn't spend $40,000 or more and have a lot of serious problems.

I've got almost 50K in 3 1/2 years in my loaded '00 Sonata GLS V6 w/Pkg 13. Not a single significant problem. Just a burned out headlight and the rotor warping. One small recall. I've been thoroughly pleased. So much so that I paid her off a year early. Now own her outright and plan to keep her for the long haul.
  • Options
    safetyredsafetyred Member Posts: 14
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses to my questions earlier. I bought a new 2003 Sonata LX (with every single option!) for $19,400. That is before the rebate of $1500. I think I got a good deal. It was the last one they had. I didn't want an LX, I was actually trying to go for a GLS, but no one has 2003's left! And if I wanted a 2004 GLS with ABS (I had to take the sunroof as well), I would pay more than what I paid for the LX. What do you guys and gals think....did I get a deal? I looked on fitzmall.com, and for the exact same car, they were offering $19,100 before the rebate. And that was the lowest price I've seen in the country. I hope to enjoy this car for many years to come. Thanks again everyone.
  • Options
    Well - this current situation (not to mention Intong's repeated diagnosis clearly indicating he has no *IDEA* what is actually wrong with my car), is the latest in a series of events.

It's not just the current circumstance that annoys me.

It's that, like clockwork, something happens between 10 - 15K miles.

THAT annoys me tremendously.

My second car, a 1995 Suzuki-built Geo Metro I bought a few years after college graduation, was (in absolute honesty) more reliable.

THAT also annoys me tremendously!

I guess we just have different sets of expectations.
  • Options
    And that Geo Metro was a very basic car that had no power options on it, so a lot less can go wrong with it. It was an engine and tranny and that's pretty much it. The more equipment you add to a car the more things there are to break. You haven't mentioned your Sonata ever leaving you on the side of the road, or failing to start, or having problems with running properly. If it hasn't then you can't really say the car has been unreliable. You can say the durability hasn't met your expectations as all your problems have been durability issues.

As for my "diagnosis", I was trying to get you to fully describe your problem with the wheel well so maybe I could better help you (yes, that's what I'm trying to do; I'm quite knowledgeable about cars) or better understand what your actual complaint is, which you have still failed to do. You keep saying I don't know what I'm talking about. It seems you don't because you can't even describe what's wrong. Until you do, I have to assume you are talking about a stupid plastic wheel well liner that is falling apart, which is NOT a big deal. I was just trying to let you know that IF that's the problem, then the dealer was correct in having you pay to replace it. In other words, I was trying to calm your fears that the dealer was trying to stick it to you.

I am not trying to make light of your problems or frustrate you further. You came to this forum venting and I would assume looking for help. No one can help you understand what's wrong unless you fully describe the problem. If you honestly don't know how to describe the problem, than don't get mad at someone else for trying to diagnose the problem if you aren't willing to accept it as a possibility.
  • Options
    uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Like you, I may be in the market next spring for a new mid size sedan. Sonata GLS and Malibu LS are on the short list. I have had 2 Chrysler vans and I like my dealer very much, so I will also give a Stratus/Sebring a look just to see what they say. The Mazda6 is also in the mix. Keep us informed--when the time comes--of your experiences and let us know what you end up with and why!
  • Options
    We had a 1997 Sonata GLS V6 that we liked very much--until we needed a mini van. We liked the way it drove. How do the current ones drive? Do they have driving characteristics like the other cars in its class--i.e., Accord, Camry, et. al.? Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    Will do. If GM comes up with $3,000 rebates on the Malibu (actually prefer the Maxx I think), then most likely it'll be Chevy since I too love my dealer (and have a bit of GM stock). Less than $2,000 in rebates and I'll go Hyundai. Have 2 friends with Hyundais and they have had few problems (however, I don't care for either the Elantra or the XG350, which they have, but the Sonata is fine).
  • Options
    I've read through all of the messages on here, and I've seen a few consistent problems with the cars. Have any of you guys that have problems, checked out the website by Alldata? They have a section called "Recalls and TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins). What is nice about that is you can see what Service Bulletins have been put out for your particular model, engine size, and year. It is quite interesting, you might want to check it out.
  • Options
    droe77droe77 Member Posts: 7
    I have an 2002 Base Sonata with a V6.

I bought it brand new in June of 2002 and have put about 32K miles on it since then. No major complaints, but one annoyance I was wondering if anyone had any insight on.

I received a recall this past Spring that had to do with an O2 sensor and the need for it to be re wired. I had this work done, and about 3 months later (This past June), my Check Engine light came on. It was quickly fixed by the dealer and the service tech mentioned something about the original re wiring job being incorrect.

About 2 weeks ago, the check engine came on again. As a side note, this happened 1 day after having the car at the dealer for its 30,000 mile service (Had it done at about 29,500, if that info helps). Upon taking it to the dealer, I had expressed my concern about this happening multiple times. He mentioned the fact that the car has 4 O2 sensors and I'm curious if they're malfuntioning one by one, or if there's something going on with the O2s that I'm not aware of?

Anyone else had this experience? If so, was it resolved?
  • Options
    I do not have a current Sonata (though I used to have a 1997 GLS V6 that did not have this problem), but this happened to the 1995 Sephia I used to have. A couple years after I bought it, the Check Engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they turned it off. A couple of months later, the light came on again and I had it turned off again. A couple of months later it came on again. I never took it back. The car ran great and it passed emissions without any problems, so I decided to not worry about it. The light was on when I got rid of the car last year. I know it is a pain in the rear end, but I finally got tired of worrying about it. Good luck getting yours figured out!
  • Options
    ray_h71ray_h71 Member Posts: 212
    If your dealer turned off the "Check Engine" light without checking for error codes and doing a diagnostic, he may not have been your friend. It may have been just a spurious signal, but, it's more likely your engine really was trying to tell you something. (Shame on him, not you.)

As to the handling properties of the current Soanatas, I'd have to say they don't quite measure up to the Accord, but they're probably very close to the Camry's. Both the Camry and the Sonata emphasize ride comfort in my opinion. The Accords are closer (but NOT a match) to the handling characteristics of a 3-series BMW at the slight expense of comfort. (Accords are by no means harsh though.) I have no experience with the Altima. My Sonata is very rattle-free, but the body structure is not quite as rigid as my former '96 Accord's. Consequently, there is the odd dash creak occasionally when going over potholes and some rail crossings, but it's never an ongoing cacophany. My car is the base model and is definitely quieter than my old Accord. Someone appears to have paid attention to sound management in these cars. The standard issue Michelin tires are a bit on the noisy side on coarse pavement, though.* Give the car smooth blacktop and it approaches tomb-quiet.

*About 8 or 10 miles south of Las Vegas there's a five-mile stretch of concrete pavement on I-15. While that stretch is VERY smooth, these standard issue Michelins sound like a wounded banshee singing grand opera.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    I guess I hope I don't end up with a Sonata. What a dead forum. Can't you all think up something to talk about??

The Malibu forums are bustling, most always (and no, not always with problems). At least when I'm bored (like tonite w/o the WS), I can rile up one or two....
  • Options
    The Sonata is really a finalist, and I'd like to hear what you all think vs. the new Malibu (heck, just join in the Malibu vs. forum, kindly; it's under Chevy Malibu).

The 2 are real competitors.
  • Options
    Here's my two cents on these two cars.

General Motors has a tendency to utilize GM Europe platforms, but when used for the U.S. market, they end up with cheaper switchgear, softer handling characteristics and incredibly boring styling. The Malibu is garnering praise for its handling and front seats, and big yawns for the appearance of this car, including interior plastics that will never set standards, although they are very good for the company. And in spite of well-engineered platforms, GM and other domestics still experience big ups and big downs in their quality control (Ford Focus is a good example -- well engineered, but troublesome).

Sonata offers exceptional value, has a proven reliability record (above the average of all cars, according to CR readers who own Sonatas), and not-so-boring, not-so-exciting styling (it looks nice). The interior is laid out well, the seams are tight and the materials are good. And of great importance to me, they clearly understood their reputation for poor products many years ago and took action. We have seen the results of their efforts and continue to do so; they are no longer a brand to pity or ridicule.

I would be delighted to see a domestic product that impresses on all levels, but so far GM in particular still has catching up to do. Asian manufacturers work hardest to impress buyers and keep them.
  • Options
    Doesn't sound like it is priced to well. Auto mags were reporting that V6 models would be slightly more expensive than equivalent Accord or Camry. Once again, Detroit will over price the car so they can then discount the heck out of it. Don't think the Malibu will compete well against the Sonata either on MSRP or as-sold price. Sonata is a great value. Plus better warranty.

Only Malibu that is mildly interesting is the future Maxx variant. Will it sell?
  • Options
    I just don't want this forum to slip into oblivion, cause it might be special.

Personally, while you're being civil, I think the current Sonata almost hits the "beautiful" mark. Scared to see what the next gen does (it might fall back a notch, hope not).

The new Malibu is in the "love it or hate it category". The problem is the Maxx. Just watch Hyundai and the Japanese add one to their portfolio if it's a hit. If not, hey, to me it's better than an obnoxious SUV. And (no I'm not a "greenie"), SUVs are an obnoxious fad.
  • Options
    . . . I also just recieved the second of at least two recalls relating to O2 sensors for the previous generation (2.5 L V6) Sonata.

One set of O2 sensors were recalled and repaired about a year or two ago: this is the second recall (I am assuming for the second set of sensors).

I finally get what's going on: *I* am the Hyundai beta-test! Oy Gevalt . . . .
  • Options
    lakelandfllakelandfl Member Posts: 10
    I now have 4,000 miles on my Black Sonata GLS V6 and i just love this car . I Took it to Key West FL and it did great on the open highway .The ride is great even at 95 MPH it's just a great car to drive and ride in . The V6 is great it will move on i had it at 95 MPH for about 150 mile's and it just drove like a Jag or a Benz would drive i had a Benz one time and i do not think it drove this good .I get told all the time that my car look's like a Jag X-Type . My 2003 Sonata GLS V6 is black with very dark window's and i did have new wheel's put on it to make it look more like a Jag so i guess it worked.Hyundai did a great job with this car it look's very uptown in Black but i do wash it about 3 time's aweek and wax it about every 3 week's to keep it looking nice and the new wheel's make it look even better then the mag wheels that came on it did.Buy one you will love it .
  • Options
    killerkkillerk Member Posts: 55
    Hey, guys. I got a 2000 GLS pkg-13 and it's due for 60K maintenance - a middle-age checkup for longevity I suppose ;). Had if for just less than 3 yrs. Been changing E-oil every 5K instead of recommended 3K. Also went for routine 15K maintenances.

Problems:
    1. Dead battery at 52K. Thought it was something else & it cost me by going to the dealership!!!
       They put in another lousy 2 yr Hyundai battery :(
    2. Bent attenna. Won't go down all the way.
       They said it's not covered under warranty.
       Don't wanna shell out $110 so I'll live w/ it.
    3. Warped rotors. Went do Midas for the brakes.

Other than these three issues, no other problems.
    I just had a 2nd child & I gave up on making it look good. I just wanna make sure it starts when I put my key in...

Now the questions. What major items should be replaced at 60K? I'd like to know b4 I walk in so I won't be gouged. I don't like the dealership, Hyundai of Paramus (NJ) on Rt 4, but there isn't anything else nearby. If anyone knows of a good Northern Jersey Hyundai dealership, pls let me know. I don't believe there's any.

>>>> Item <<<<.......>>> Cost <<<
    1. Timing Belt ......... ???
    2. Spark plugs ......... ???
    3. Belts ............... ???
    4. Transmission oil .... ???
    5. Anything else

Also, for something like changing Transmission oil, would I be better served if I went to a specialty shop like Aamco? Thx in advance.
  • Options
    killerk... First place to start is the Owner's Manual Service Maintenance Schedule. It will list what is a must. And check your prior service records to make sure you've had all the previous necessary maintenance done. For example, thinking it lists new fuel filter at about 52K.
  • Options
    All the above sounds about right. You should also flush out the radiator coolant if you haven't before. I personally would recommend you have the transmission serviced by the dealer. That way you can guarantee you covered yourself as far as the powertrain warranty is concerned. Be prepared....this service will be a doozy.
  • Options
    drimpledrimple Member Posts: 47
    I just had my 60k service done on my 2000 GLS. Here's what my dealership did as part of their 60k service...

Change oil
    Inspect steering gear rack, linkage and boots
    Inspect driveshaft and books
    Adjust front, rear and hand brakes
    Inspect brake lines and hoses for leakage
    Inspect and retorque suspension mounts
    Four wheel alignment
    Inspect power steering pump, belt and hoses
    Inspect and adjust engine drive belt
    Rotate tires
    Inspect exhaust system
    Flush transmission fluid, replace filter
    Replace brake fluid
    Replace air cleaner element
    Replace platinum spark plugs
    Replace engine coolant
    Inspect fuel lines and hoses
    Replace timing belt
    Inspect vacuum lines and crankcase ventilation hoses
    Replace PCV valve

The whole thing cost me close to $1,000. I also had them replace the engine drive belt since they wouldn't charge me labor for doing that. All the inspections paid off, as they found a few things to replace under warranty. The fuel pressure regulator, ignition wire set, timing belt auto tensioner and radiator cap were all replaced under warranty.
  • Options
    suzyefsuzyef Member Posts: 3
    Hello~!

I'm hoping to trade my 98 Tib to Sonata but I read few msgs saying that there will be a new sonata for 05 or 06.
     Well if it comes out in 06 I rather trade before snow falls. Can anyone confirm that..

Well, I'm thinking to get GLS (top line in CAN), but I'm guite disappointed that there is no Side air bag.

Dealer wants $31760(Canadian), is it good deal or should i shop around more..

Thanks.
  • Options
    Yikes!!! $1000!!!
    Oh, well...
    Q abt spark plugs. I thought these were platinum tipped. Shouldn't they last till 100K?
    Also, same thing w/ transmission too? Shouldn't it be serviced at 100K as well?
  • Options
    I think you got screwed, drimple. My dealer has an ongoing 60,000 mile service "special" priced at $249.95. Replacing the camshaft timing belt is an additional $269.95 which brings the total to $519.90. ALWAYS look at your owner's manual's maintenance chart for the factory required services to keep you warranty validated. Anything in the list below that's NOT in the owner's manual for the 60,000 mile maintenance, is make-work to pad the dealer's profit margin and comply with provisions of the mythical Automobile Technician's Full Employment and Dependants' Benefits, Education, and Welfare Act of 2003. By the way, if your dealer replaced the transmission filter on your Hyundai Sonata, he's really, Really, REALLY talented. There is NO filter to replace in these trannies. Under normal usage, the trannie requires its first fluid change at 100,000 miles. (Personally I don't feel any autmatic trannie should go over 30,000 miles between fluid changes, though.) Same goes for adjusting/tightening drive belts. There is ONE external drive belt for everything on the Hyundai Delta V-6 engine, and it's automatically tensioned by a spring-loaded idler pulley. There are no wheel alignment adjustments front or rear, save for toe-in/toe-out on the front end. Hyundai DOES require changeouts at 60,000 miles of their platinum-tipped spark plugs for whatever reason. This flies in the face of current convention since all other engine manufacturers I'm aware of only require changeouts of platinum-tipped plugs at 100,000 mile intervals. (It's an involved procedure on Hyundai V-6 engines since the plenum chamber portion of the intake mainfold has to be removed for access to the firewall bank.) Either Hyundai engines are particualrly prone to "eating" plugs, or, Hyundai is just overly conservative. Since spark plugs aren't specifically an engine durability issue, I'll probably play it by ear and see what the California mandated emmisions testing reports show. As long as the reports I accumulate show no sudden rise in particulates, carbon monoxide, or oxides of nitrogen, that'll be my guide as to spark plug health. Most (all?) Hyundais come equipped with NGK spark plugs - so, it's not like the company is using inferior components.

I notice one thing that Hyundai requires to be replaced at 60,000 miles, doesn't appear to have been by your dealer. I'm talking about the camshaft timing belt. If it breaks, the pistons come-'a-knockin' on any open valves and its suddenly major damage time. Check your invoice carefully to see if that's been done. A poster on another Hyundai board had his tank at 62,000 miles. Since he had no record of having that belt replaced, his dealer and Hyundai told him to go pound sand.

Change oil
    Inspect steering gear rack, linkage and boots
    Inspect driveshaft and books [boots?]
    Adjust front, rear and hand brakes
    Inspect brake lines and hoses for leakage
    Inspect and retorque suspension mounts
    Four wheel alignment
    Inspect power steering pump, belt and hoses
    Inspect and adjust engine drive belt
    Rotate tires
    Inspect exhaust system
    Flush transmission fluid, replace filter
    Replace brake fluid
    Replace air cleaner element
    Replace platinum spark plugs
    Replace engine coolant
    Inspect fuel lines and hoses
    Replace timing belt
    Inspect vacuum lines and crankcase ventilation hoses
    Replace PCV valve
  • Options
    suzyef, the next generation Sonata will debut in North America as a 2005 model and be manuafactured in Hyundai's new Birmingham, Alabama plant. It's currently in production in Korea, but available only in Asia. So, in addition to your quandary whether to buy a current model, already in its 4th year of production, you have to consider whether you wish to chance QC issues with a totally new car AND production from a plant potentially subject to start-up issues. Honda pulled it off rather well in Marysville, Ohio, but, that was Honda...

LXs in the States can be had for under 20,000 if that's any guide. Using a rough guestimate of $1.65 (CN) to the U.S. dollar, the price you were quoted seems a bit high, but I'm not very well versed in Canadian pricing. Are you sure about the lack of a side airbag? U.S. models have a front seat-back mounted shoulder and head side air bag. But, there is no side curtain airbag. The seat mounted bag will have an oval embossing or permanent sticker indicating "Air Bag" on the door side of the seat back.
  • Options
    drimpledrimple Member Posts: 47
    I don't think I got screwed at all. First, the camshaft timing belt is the timing belt listed under "Replace timing belt." I had the drive belt replaced because I believe in proactive maintenance and not waiting for it to snap when I am driving somewhere. As to spark plugs, I've always believed that 100,000 miles is too long, even if they are supposed to last that long.

Finally, as to your service "special," you may want to check the fine print. My dealership advertises low prices too, but they don't include the parts or shop supplies in the prices, so that $500 60,000 mile service becomes much more expensive once they add in all the fluids, the belts, etc.

Most importantly, I don't feel like I got screwed. My car got quite the overhaul over the course of the day and everything got checked from top to bottom. I now feel confident that my car is in tip-top shape, which is worth a few bucks in my mind. You may not feel that way, but to each their own.
  • Options
    suzyefsuzyef Member Posts: 3
    ray_h71 Thanks for the Info.

CAN $31760 (Inc tax, etc), but I wouldn't mine driving Tib for 1 more year and see 05 Sonata.

I actually think that current Sonata looks pretty good but can't wait to see the 05 sonata.
  • Options
    You're right, drimple - I DID overlook that entry toward the bottom of the listing of "Replace timing belt". My selling dealer does include the price of materials and fluids in their ongoing specials. Even if I had to add $3.69/qt for genuine Hyundai ATF (8.2 quarts), and $2.00/qt. for Mobil Drive Clean 10W-30 motor oil (4.7 quarts), $7.00/gallon for common "yellow-green" Valvoline coolant, and $75.00 for a timing belt for my V-6 motor, and state-mandated old fluid disposal fees, etc., I still find it impossible to make the math work for a virtual doubling of the service pricing your dealer charged. As I said, though, those items ARE included in my dealer's sale pricing. (And I think HE'S on the high side, which is why I perform as much of the routine maintenance as I can.) But, if you're happy with the final outcome, then, that's what counts. I'm sure your dealer appreciates your patronage.
  • Options
    vik_sonatavik_sonata Member Posts: 4
    Hello Ray, I've been watching your notes posted on this forum. You sound very knowledgeable. A couple of questions answered will be really appreciated. First, what do you think about reliability of Sonata 2002 V6( and newer) versus let's say Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and some others? There is still opinion that Hyundai is not long living car - just 100K. I was "humiliated" recently by one guy. He said :'"You know Hyundai is Hyundai", meaning they are all crappy cars. So I have a feeling that owning Hyundai is not prestigious, plus it's a trouble in a near future.
    Another Q is about maintenance. In the note #2459 you sounded like there is no filter in a tranny. Is it true? If it's so why all dealerships put it as an item for replacement. Is it scam? At this point none of Sonata owners can count on any Hyundai dealership service. Yes you can go to another shop but then you can loose your warranty. Sounds like catch 22. So all those "there is NO"s in that note are true? How we can beat the dealership service.
    I am leasing the Sonata 02, V6 since Dec 2001 and so far no problem except the fuel gauge sensor that has been replaced under the warranty. I am thinking of keeping this car, but worried about after 100K. Now I have 34K on odometer.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    Yeah, I do like my Sonata, but I might not get another one due to a lack of a good Hyundai dealerships in Bergen County, NJ.

My current dealer is Rt 4 Hyundai (and Dodge) in Paramus, NJ.
    My car's in for 60K service and it looks like I'll be down ~$850 (ie $1000 less 20% on parts of it).

Let me explain:
    I had a 20% discount coupon for the services listed in their booklet. When I mentioned this to the rep, he said he'll need to create 2 invoices - one for the "regular" 60K services (to which they'll apply 20% discount) and the other for the timing-belt and water pump b/c these two items are not a part of their "regular" 60K service.

F*ing amazing!!! Hyundai, the manufacturer, is recommending the replacement, but, no, Rt 4 Hyundai says it's NOT on their booklet for 60K service. This is a Hyundai DEALER speaking.

I'm sure I can straighten it out by talking to the manager, but why do I need this aggravation from a DEALERSHIP!!!

Another Issue - Battery:
    Mine crapped out a couple of months ago, which is within 36 months of purchase. I just noticed from the Maintenance Log that Hyundai'll cover 25% of the cost plus labor. But what did my Hyundai DEALERSHIP do??? They charged me for every thing - all $150 of it. Shouldn't they be the ones protecting me? Instead, I'll need to haggle it out to get my $$ back. Good thing I still have the invoice.

Like the car, but not the dealership...
  • Options
    lakelandfllakelandfl Member Posts: 10
    I have to say that for me the Sonata is a great car and i do think that it will do great even after 100,000 miles .Hyundai has come along way and i think that the new Sonata look's alot better then the new Toyota's on the road today .All the new Toyota's look alike but the Sonata looks like an upper class car and gets alot of looks on the road .
  • Options
    nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    rumor has it that it will be #3 in us sales for this year, fancy that.
  • Options
    Just got a call from my dealer. $950 - that's just for the timing belt & water pump.

When they told me $950 when I brought my car in, I thought they meant for their "normal" 60K service AND for timing belt & water pump. I thought this b/c of what drimple paid for his 60K service w/ timing belt replacement.

1. Does water pump "usually" get replaced when doing the timing belt? They looked at me like I was stupid when I asked the question. They were like - yeah, of course!

2. Does it cost this much on Sonatas to get these two parts replaced? They said the tech spent 5.5 hours on this.

Oh, on the 60K service, they charged me $600 minus the 20% for the coupon I had. Unbelievable...
  • Options
    There's a reason rumors should not be believed.
  • Options
    There is no reason at all for the timing belt to cost that much!! That is a pure rip off! Maybe for a BMW M3, but not a Sonata. This job shouldn't cost anymore then $450. And no the water pump doesn't have to be replaced. They like to suggest it since usually the timing belt drives the water pump, so it is easier and cheaper to replace it at the same time as the belt. I'm not sure if the water pump is driven by the timing belt on the Sonata though. On my Accent it wasn't (I much prefer external water pumps). I honestly wouldn't pay to replace it now because a water pump generally lasts about 120-150k. In other words, it can last until its time for the second timing belt. Nowhere on the maintenance schedule does it suggest you should replace the water pump. It's just an easy way to get some extra money. The funny thing is I thought I remember seeing the water pump covered under the 100k warranty, but I could be wrong.

You need to do some serious talking with the shop manager because they are obviously trying to screw an unsuspecting customer out of quite a bit of money. I'm hoping they forgot to give you an estimate or you signed something saying to contact you if it exceeds a certain amount. If so, they don't have a choice but to work up a much lower # or face legal action.
  • Options
    danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    In addition to discussing this matter with the dealership's manager you MUST (and I mean must) send a letter to Hyundai headquarters and inform them of this. They might tell you that their dealers are "privately owned and operated", that's only partly true. New car dealers are under close scrutiny from manufacturers.

In your letter hit them where it hurts them: their bottom line. Speak about your dissapointment, these hefty fees will no doubt hurt Hyundai's sales, you can not afford such prices, etc, etc, etc.

I speak from experience having to resort to Ford when the damn Lincoln-Mercury service manager brutalized me. Although my issue was with a different maker, we can draw some comparisons here.

I wish you good luck and hope my post helps you.
  • Options
    I think I convinced my 86 yr old grandpa to look into buying the Sonata V6. The poor guy hasn't shopped for a car since 1989 and his last vehicle was a 1989 Ford F-350 crew cab dualie pickup with an extended wheelbase and a 7.4 liter V8 (you can imagine how ecstatic my mom and grandma was when he finally sold the monstrous thing this weekend; my little old grandma despised running to the grocery store because this was all she had to drive...a very scary sight indeed). Anyway, he is encountering major sticker shock and doesn't particularly want a four cylinder. The fact he stopped by to look at Hyundai first shows that perceptions are changing about this company. He only looked at the Elantra and was disturbed how little the salesman knew, so I armed him with knowledge and sent him back down to drive the Sonata. I'm hoping he gets one because I think its the best car for the money. If someone of his age and his background (never owned a Japanese or Korean car) buys a Hyundai, Hyundai should be proud of their hard work to clean up their image.
  • Options
    Hi everyone,
    I've had my Sonata for a couple of weeks, and I have a question for you all. Are there heater ducts for the rear seats? And if there are, where are they?? I've looked everywhere, and can't find them. Normally they are on the floor, or in the center console facing the rear seats, but I've looked and they aren't in those places. Maybe the Sonata just doesn't have them....
    I know here on the Edmund's site, it says that the Sonata has heated seats, and I know that isn't true, so maybe the same is for the rear seat heater ducts. Thanks for any information.
  • Options
    Here's a link to the Sonata currently on sale in Korea (look familiar?).

So, the next Sonata is NOT on sale over there. I've heard, as somewhat confirmed by the news wires today, that the next Sonata will be produced in the US, and introduced in March '05 (as an '06, NOT an '05). I'll be kind and link today's news in a subsequent post shortly. I need to locate it again.

http://www.hyundai-motor.com/cybermall/showroom/index_5.html
  • Options
    This link includes a lot of info on Hyundai in general, plus a lot of other news that's not relevant. At least the Hyundai piece is the first article.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6600&sid=17- 3&n=156
  • Options
    wantapassatnowwantapassatnow Member Posts: 100
    Hi everyone. The Sonata just came into my radar, and I am considering getting one in the next month or so. Are there any significant differences between the 2003 and 2004 models? I am considering the LX, since I want leather seats, but if there aren't significant differences, I am hoping to get a 2003 so I can get a better deal.

Also, will the V6 require premium gas? How does the Kia Optima compare to the Sonata?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    The V6 uses regular unleaded. No premium fuel required or recommended. The only differences I noticed was: a manual tranny is no longer available with the V6 (although it appears Hyundai hasn't sent any over here since 2000), ABS became a stand alone option on the 04 (you no longer have to get a moonroof to get the ABS), and 4 wheel disc brakes are now standard on the 4 cylinder models. Other then that everything else stays the same.
  • Options
    Actually, 4 wheel disc brakes were standard on all Sonatas delivered in the U.S. during the 2003 model year, too. The Hyundai "Delta" V-6 only requires unleaded regular. However, this engine (as well as the 2.4 liter "Sigma" I-4) has knock sensors. Think of 'em as microphones screwed into the block. When pinging occurs (at levels too faint to be detected by human hearing), the knock sensors' impulses read by the ECM allow it to detune the ignition timing on the fly to compensate accordingly. The engine literally tunes itself as it operates according to fuel quality and ambient conditions. The key, here, is that if a Sonata owner -were- to pump unleaded premium, there would be a mild power increase over that delivered from unleaded regular since the ignition timing would be advanced as far as the higher octane fuel would allow. The only question is whether that power increase is worth the 20 cent/gallon cost differential between premium and regular unleaded. The 2.7 liter Hyundai "Delta" V-6 engine delivers its rated power of 170 hp and 181 lb-ft of torque on unleaded regular. The Mercedes Benz 2.6 liter V-6 -requires- premium unleaded and two spark plugs per cylinder to deliver its rated 168 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque. So much for German efficiency. Like the MB engines, the "Delta" V-6 is an all-aluminum design (5 lbs -lighter- in weight than the "Sigma" I-4!) with cast iron cylinder liners for long cylinder and piston life. As to the notion that Hyundais still suffer poor long term reliability, this hasn't been born out for the past four or five years. "Consumer Reports" lists Hyundai's reliability as "better than average" during that period. Yes, they were disasters when first marketed in North America. So were Toyotas and Hondas initially (I'm talking about the early sixties for the original "Toyopet", and the late sixties for the original Honda car riding on 12" wheels whose lone hatchback model made for a cute covered wheelbarrow that could do 0-60 mph sometime over the course of a week. My point is that like the two Japanese brands noted which went from humble, less than stellar beginnings in the world car market to their present exalted status, Hyundai is on the rise, too. They're not there yet, but the Japanese no longer are as smug now that Hyundai is posting ever better sales years. (The one just completed saw Hyundai ahead of BMW, Mazda, and Mitsubishi in sales figures.) For what it's worth, Mercedes' reliability has deteriorated to "average" with some models to "worse than average" over the past two years. Would I rather own a Sonata than a Mercedes E-Class? Of course not. (A former colleague of mine drives an E-Class sedan with the 3.2 liter V-6. It is admittedly -sweet-.) But, I'm neither ashamed of nor worried about buying the Sonata, either. Its only warranty claim to date was replacement of the domelight assembly because of an intemittant "open" in the switch assembly. Another friend's '03 Accord's radio-CD player tanked at around 500 miles.