Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    It looks like the 1.9% financing on Camry is no more as of January 8th Am I correct??
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    1.9% for 36 months, 2.9% for 48 months and 3.9% for 60 months. The only thing that went away on the 6th was the 0% for 24 months. These programs are in effect until 1/31/03.
  • Options
    xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    Do you have any info on the cold start "clunk" when shifted from reverse to drive on the LE V6?
    The writer at the dealer said it's the transmission and it's normal but I'm not so sure. I'm supposed to have a meet with a regional rep. whenever they get around to it. In the mean time this one time morning jerk into gear cannot be good for the driveline. Also it seems to be getting more noticeable. The car is an '02 LE V6.
  • Options
    I have refrained from comment because I didn't want to sound like your dealer and because I am not a mechanic. I think the clunk you are describing is fairly normal. I haven't driven yours and yours may be more severe than others, but I have felt a clunk in many Camrys over the years.

Here are my other observations on this issue. When pulling the cars out for a test drive, I noticed that If I was in a hurry and shifted rapidly, the clunk was more prevelant. If I took my time, waited until I was at a full stop and made a deliberate shift through neutral, the clunk would not exist. It also didn't happen after the first time out of reverse.

None of this is to say that you don't have an issue. Like I said, I am not a mechanic and I don't know if the clunk I felt is the same one you have described.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Use the search features on the left sidebar for "sludge" -- you'll find many discussions on the issue.
  • Options
    Cliffy1, thanks for your info. The clunk I described only happens once, the first time it's shifted from reverse to drive in the morning. After that it's fine. What worries me about this is that I've talked to other owners of '02 V6's and they tell me they haven't noticed anything like I described. I took an early morning test drive at another dealer in an '03 V6, backed out and shifted into drive. Smooth. No clunk, no jerk.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    do you have anti-lock brakes?
  • Options
    Anti-lock brakes are supposed to be standard equipment on an '02 LE V6. At least that's what the factory window sticker says. Why do you ask?
  • Options
    carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    I have an 03 Xle V6 ,whenever I push the Auto button the A/C button lights up. It's winter now I don't want A/C I want heat. Nothing in the manual says anything about the A/C lighting up. Is this normal. Any information appreciated. Thank You
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I would guess that this is normal. We typically think that A/C equates to cold. For this scenario, A/C simply means that the compressor is on- which, in the winter, will defog your windows. If you turn the temperature setting up, you should find that you do indeed get progressively warmer/hotter air coming out of the vents.

Can anyone confirm my assertion for carrelman?
    ~alpha
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Actually you gave a pretty good explanation of what is happening. When it is cold outside, it is much more likely that the windows will fog or frost up if the humidity is high inside of the vehicle. The A/C goes on to dehumidify the air to prevent this. You'll notice that when the heat is on, the air is still warm even when the A/C light is on. If you REALLY don't want it on, you've found how to turn it off. It really does work well, however and I'd let it do what it does.

Ken
  • Options
    I believe the anti-lock brakes set themselves within the first 100 yards or so when put in drive...on my old Ford it felt like a clunk...
  • Options
    googlestarsgooglestars Member Posts: 3
    For safety concern I would like to buy the adustable power accelerator pedal for my new Camry.Please,can someone tell me if it is useful and do you like this kind of pedal ? THANKS.
  • Options
    We ordered one in for a customer of mine a couple of months ago. The power adjustment is acutually for both the brake and accelerator pedals. They move as a unit. There is a button on the dash just left of the steering wheel. They move a total of about 4 inches or so. At the position furthest away, they are actually further than in the non-adjustable model of the camry (for those who want a bit more legroom). At the closest, they are MUCH closer than in the non-adjustable models. There are some areas of the country that they are VERY difficult to come by. This is one of them and we had to order the vehicle for this customer.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • Options
    So, you think this "clunk" is coming from the brakes. I guess that's possible but no one else I've talked to has this jerk when going from reverse to drive. I've even backed the car into the garage and the next morning when I shift from park to drive no jerk, no clunk. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    wanna2002wanna2002 Member Posts: 23
    I have the clunk on my 2002 V6 XLE too, every morning or after extended periods of non-use, when going from reverse to drive. I was concerned at first too, but if you look back on these boards and search for "clunk", you will find that we are not the only ones - I think it's normal - due to the ABS, and if your A/C is on when you start the car.
  • Options
    I do not have the ABS---something that likely should have been standard on 2002s. My experience with my Mercury was that every morning or after extended periods, when I'd put the car in drive and get up to 15 - 30 mph there would be a little clunk that was described to me as the ABS system setting/checking itself. When my ABS system eventually failed (it stopped working for a few days then started again, weird Ford problem?) the noise went away. I never had that thunk when going in reverse though.
  • Options
    rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    The reason for the A/C coming on in the winter when in auto climate mode is as toyotataken and apha01 have explained. If you hit the A/C button, the A/C will go off (light goes off). If you leave the auto button on, the A/C will remain off everytime you start the car. Personally, I find in the winter that having the A/C on causes a draft in the car and I prefer to have it off. Of course, if the windows fog then having the A/C is useful.

I think Toyota made a mistake by not explaining how the auto climate control works in the owners manual.
  • Options
    carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    Thank you Alpha01,Toyotaken and Rubicon52 for your replies and input on the AC on in the winter problem. I'll try leaving the Auto on and see if that works.Thanks again. Nice to have people like you on the website.
  • Options
    Here's the announcement from Toyota about the new V6 Camry.

SUBJECT: 2003 Camry V6 Price Announcement
    Toyota Motor Sales is pleased to announce pricing for Camry with the new V6 engine,
    which begins production on January 20th.
    The new V6 incorporates Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) for improved
    power and torque without any reduction in fuel economy. The engine produces 210
    horsepower @ 5,800 rpm and 220 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,400 rpm, significant
    improvements compared to the old engine’s 192 horsepower and 209 lb.-ft. The new
    engine utilizes an Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS-i) and Acoustic Control
    Induction System (ACIS) for superior throttle control, drivability and NVH. Camry V6
    models also receive a new 5-speed automatic transmission for enhanced performance
    and refinement.

Prices for the new V6 models will be the same as the models that they replace in the
    Camry line-up:

LE V6 w/ VVT-i & 5-speed automatic $22,260
    SE V6 w/ VVT-i & 5-speed automatic $23,265
    XLE V6 w/ VVT-i & 5-speed automatic $25,405

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • Options
    f1_roxf1_rox Member Posts: 23
    I had purchased a XLE v6 for 2 weeks. After reading the post about the new engine and transmission, I'm totally shocked. I felt I'm being screwed as I would have waited if this information was available before my purchase.

I'm curious why they didn't include them in the 2003 model initially? Can they even do that, adding new features to the current model? Is there anything I can do, because I'm totally shocked how Toyota can do this...
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    They sure can. If you read any Toyota brochure or any other product for consumption in the USA, it will state so. It reads something like this: All information presented herein is based on data available at the time of printing, IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE and pertains specifically to mainland USA vehicles only (may differ in the state of Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and in other regions)
               &nbs- p;           &n- bsp;  : )
               &nbs- p;           &n- bsp;   Mackabee
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Don't feel too bad. About a year ago this woman bought a 2002 Corolla and was so completely disgusted when the much improved 2003 Corolla debuted leaving her 2002 Corolla obsolete. She ranted and raved all over Internet car discussion boards. Needless to say, she lost the debate as Toyota has the right to do what they like in this manner. Another reason not to feel bad is that if I remember correctly, Toyota dropped the price of Supras a few years ago by thousands of dollars. Now THAT would hurt.
  • Options
    It was $10,000 they dropped off the Supra. Those who bought them before the price drop were not as bad off as they thought though. Before then, we had $7000 in mark-up between invoice and sticker plus, we had $3000 in factory to dealer incentives. After the price drop, we had $2000 mark-up and no incentives. Most of those who bought the old price units got actual transaction costs little more than the new priced ones.

Another way they are consoled is the fact that the Supra actually appreciated in value. In 1998, you could buy a turbo model with the 6 speed for $38000. Today, if you kept it in great shape and didn't stick on the miles, you can get $44000 for it.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Why does Edmunds show a 1998 Supra Turbo with manual, all other available options, outstanding condition, only 10,000 miles as only worth $29,000 at a dealer and $25,000 private sale. Who would be nutty enough to pay 44 grand? 38k was way too much 5 years ago brand new IMHO.
  • Options
    I can understand your frustration- but you said you purchased your XLE V6 2 weeks ago? Were you visiting these boards at that time? Since late November/early December, the VVTi V6 has been a hot topic. I hope at least, you were able to benefit from Toyota's addition of the power moonroof as standard equipment to the XLE V6 model. And if its any consolation, the 5sp auto unit being used has not been lauded in the ES300- so perhaps you are better off. I doubt this engine change will hurt your resale value, so dont be concerned with that.

As I have said before though, this Camry, more so than any other I remember, has undergone more mid-year equipment/features changes than any other.

Using the XLE V6 as an example- had you bought one of the first batches of 2002 production, purchasing one now means you get foglights, 6 disc in dash CD changer, moonroof, 5sp auto and VVTi engine- at base price. Clearly, Toyota is feeling the pressure from the kick butt (but butt ugly) new Accord.

~alpha
  • Options
    canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    I'm glad that Toyota makes improvement for the V6 to keep them in competence with Honda, Nissan, Mazda.
    The changes on V6 make me to consider to purchasing V6 instead of 4 cylinder engine for next few months. If they kept the old engine (192HP), I would take 4 cylinder due to horsepower vs weight ratio, premium gas vs regular gas ...
  • Options
    I realize this is not a Supra board, but just try finding a 98 Supra with decent miles for under $30K. It will not happen. I don't know why Edmunds publishes what they do. I would direct that question to them.

What do they list for a cherry '69 Camaro?
  • Options
    I have just started to read the boards right after the purchase... After I told my wife about the upgrade last night, she got mad and didn't speak to me until this morning... Just to let me feel better, could you explain why you think I'll be better off with the 4-speed rather than the 5-speend found in ES300.

The reason why it is bothering me so much is that I've been contacting Toyota for the past weeks. I've noticed that the shifting is not at all smooth, compared to my old '94 V6. The strange thing is that shifting from 2 to 3 is only smooth when the car is COLD, when up to temp, there is a slight jerk. Luckily, I just got an email from Toyota stating that I will be contacted by their regional office soon, after I told them that the dealer is not helpful who tells me it is normal.

What should I expect coming out of this situation? My wife even suggested that we trade it in for the auto 5-speed. I'm not crazy about the new engine, but a smoother transmission is desired.
  • Options
    Actually, the Camry beat out the Accord by 36,000 units to regain the number 1 selling car title. I think the improvements will help it stay there.
               &nbs- p;           &n- bsp; : )
               &nbs- p;           &n- bsp;  Mackabee
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Just curious, what web site do you get your model year total car sales from?
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    When comparing sales keep in mind the Accord was in it's last year. 2003 should be interesting to say the least. The Accord regained the top spot for the month of December.
  • Options
    slotoyslotoy Member Posts: 14
    My wife has told me that I will soon be buying her a new Camry...that much is certain. I have talked to numerous dealers in my area and no one has what I want in stock. They all say they can "locate" one for me; and, therein lies my quandry. I do not want them to "locate" one that does not have all the latest upgrades. I want the 210 HP V-6 and the 5spd Automatic. I also want the car equipped with adjustable electric driver's seat and the power moon roof as standard equipment. When I tell them of those requirements, they usually look at me as if I came from another planet. Most of the reps that I have talked with act as if they aren't even aware of these things. I even had one salesman say, "You've got to be kidding, the Camry has never had a moon roof as standard equipment, and never will." How can I insure that the car they find for me will be the right one before I commit to a deal with them? I know that I don't have to accept delivery if it is wrong; but that would cause a timing hassle since I plan to sell my wife's current car rather than trading it on the new one. It is somewhat frightening to have someone searching for a car with specific equipment when they didn't even know that equipment existed until I told them.
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    I should think that the fourth character of the VIN will change with the new engine. So find out what that character is on a vehicle with the non-VVTi engine and then when they locate a car for you check that the fourth character is different.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    We had numerous discussions a while ago on the 2-star score the 2002 Camry without side airbags received for the driver. There were questions on whether the test was anomalous or not. Then the 2003 Camry without side airbags was tested and it scored 3-stars (and very nearly scored 4).

I had emailed NHTSA a while ago asking why there was a repeat of the test -- NHTSA will usually carryover the previous year's results if there is no design change that may affect the test scores.

NHTSA eventually emailed me back and says that indeed, the 2003 Camry received some kind of change and thus the 2002 results were not carried over, and the 2003 re-tested.

NHTSA: "Yes, the 2003 Camry has under gone some design changes"

In my opinion, I don't think the 2002 test was anomalous, and Toyota made a subtle change to improve the driver's side-impact score.

This type of change is not unprecedented, even in the middle of a model year. When the IIHS tested the new 2003 Corolla, it scored "Good" but not "Best Pick." IIHS protocol permits the manufacturer to make a change and request a re-test before any test result is released. This is unlike NHTSA, which will release the test result immediately and re-test later if a design change is made. So after requesting an IIHS-retest, Toyota added more padding in the middle of the model year and when the Corolla was re-tested, it then achieved the "Best Pick" score. Thus pre-January-2003 Corollas are different than January-2003-and-after Corollas.
  • Options
    Do you really feel that NHTSA would tell you if it something it did was incorrect?
    ~alpha
  • Options
    Do you really feel that NHTSA would tell you if it something it did was incorrect, or in the least, didnt produce accurate results? And for reference, in speaking of the Corolla and IIHS, its alot easier to redesign dash padding than the structure of a vehicle. Its unfortunate that we may never know the truth- because whereas the IIHS will re-test a vehicle of the same model year, NHTSA hasnt (in my recollection) EVER done this, even when ITS instrumentation has failed to produce a reading for one of the dummies (this has happened in the past, and that car usually just doesnt get rated for that dummy until a subsequent test). I'm more pissed about the rating because it looks bad than concerned about safety. Think about it: compared to vehicles that didnt meet the 1997 side impact standard (ie... many pre 97 models), todays cars are exponentially safer.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    After I email Toyota about the new engine and transmission, here is their reply:

"The January production Camry available at dealerships by mid-March will have the same engine but with an added induction system. The engine will now have the VVT-i technology seen currently in the Avalon.

We are continually improving our product and may offer new features during the production cycle."

There is no mention of the 5-speed?
  • Options
    Hi,

Well, there is no way to know all this with certainty, one can only take the "evidence" and patterns at hand and interpret from there.

I'll answer your question with this question. Do you really think that Toyota would admit that they didn't design/execute the 2002 Camry (without side airbags) to be up-to-snuff in side impacts? Isn't it far easier for Toyota to claim anomalous results while making a small change to the 2003 to get the three stars (and it doesn't require a full redesign to get that far)?

It wouldn't/didn't require a big design change to get the vehicle from two stars to three stars. Sure it's tougher than adding more pads, but it's not a massive effort, especially during a model year changeover.

So I trust NHTSA more than Toyota in this case. As the IIHS example demonstrates and the NHTSA tests further prove, Toyota safety engineering, like many other manufacturers, doesn't necessarily get all things right the first time. They simply missed on the 2002 Camry's without side airbags, just like they missed very slightly on the 2003 Corolla and made a smaller design change. At least to their credit they made actual design changes rather than complaining about the "real world" applicability of the test results (I hate it when some other car companies brag "5 stars!" in an ad, but then turn around and scream "it's not real world" when one of their other vehicles doesn't do well!).

Now, this is not to say that Toyotas are not safe. In general their crash performance is very good, and Toyota has been great in applying VSC and Brake Assist to many of its vehicles.

Sure, cars today are much safer than they were several years ago. But it still doesn't excuse a 2002 vehicle getting a 2-star side impact score.
  • Options
    Time for a less serious topic. I have a 2002 Camry with the Stone interior. Why Toyota ever decided 'LIGHT COLORED' interiors were appropriate for 'family' cars bewilders me. Anyway, in addition to trying to keep the uphoulstry clean with two kids, I have found that winter is taking a rather harsh toll on my Stone floor mats. Sure they are meant to get dirty but they are going down hill real fast here in PA with all the snow and slop this winter. I could opt for a new set and keep these for winter driving but Orig Equip Toyota mats are very expensive and come in only the light grey and the SE's black. I have noticed that mostly what is sold now a days are Rubber Mats. I found a pair meant for SUVs that actually is a great fit for the front seats of the Camry. It has deep ridges to capture dirt and snow. Is there a reason not to use rubber mats? I know the carpet ones absorb the moisture faster but is that a big deal.

Any thoughts.....
  • Options
    Why not get a set of all-weather mats? You can pick em up at your Toyota dealer or get some at allauto.com very reasonably priced. It will save your carpet and your original mats.

: )
                               Mackabee
  • Options
    steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    There are Toyota OEM All-Weather Mats available for the Camry. I got them for my wives 02 Camry and we leave them in year round. (with three kids they are essential) Made of heavy duty rubber, they have the "hook holes" for the drivers mat, and can be rinsed out very easily.

I recommend/insist that my Camry customers get them as well as the mudguards.

If nobody at the dealership you go to knows what they are, have them refer to the "2003 Accessories Sales Guide"

Good Luck !!!

Steve
  • Options
    I know Toyota had a rubber set but I just assumed they were too pricey...the carpet ones run $96...do you know what the Rubber ones go for and is it a set of four.....

No problems with the moisture/snow sitting on the mats and not evaporating or something like that...?
  • Options
    A salesman told you Camrys have never had a moonroof as standard? It was standard on the XLE back in 93 and 94. The way you can be sure they are getting the right car is to ask them for the "Dealer Daily" printout. This is an invoice so don't be surprised if they doctor so you can't see the prices but it will show the engine, transmission and equipment correctly. If they wont show you that, you need to find another dealer.
  • Options
    The rubber mats should work fine and are really essential in many parts of the country, and/or if you have kids. Our toddler makes rubber mats in the back absolutely necessary (a seat cover wouldn't hurt either).

As with carpetted mats, please make sure the carpet underneath is clean before you put mats on top.

A good alternative to the Toyota OEM mats are the popular WeatherTech mats. They are usually more heavy-duty than OEM mats, and come in black, grey, and tan. Not sure if they're cheaper than the OEM mats but they can be bought separately for the fronts or the rears as well as in a set. Sometimes some cutting is necessarily but they are designed so that trimming is simple.
  • Options
    I know this doesn't apply in every part of the country, but when Virginia clay dries, it is almost an exact match to the oak interior. Ask me how I know this.
  • Options
    rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    I have a 2002 Camry XLE (4cyl)..Just got a copy of R&T comparison of Accord, Altima, Camry, Mazda 6, and Passat (all 4cyl). Camry tied for 3rd with Altima. Accord, first; Mazda, second; Passat last. BUT.......IF YOU LOOK CLOSER CAMRY DID MUCH BETTER THAN FIRST GLANCE. First----after the "objective performance" test. Camry was in second place by just .1 mark. Out of 7 categories the Camry was first or tied for first in 4 areas, second in another. The camry started losing points in the "subjective area" which I didn't always agree with (the Camry recieved NO first place votes). Third, it lost some big points on the third category: "price"...as it was the most expensive in the group. Finally, in the article on the Camry the editors admit: "A case could be made that this is the best all around car in the group...." (P. 72). Of course all the tested cars are good. But I was pleased with the Camry performance even though it formally came in tied for third place with the Altima.
  • Options
    IleIle Member Posts: 14
    First of all they had a navigation sysem on the Camry and on none of the other cars. There is no Value to the equation, so the car just lost points cause it was more expecive????? Stupid...
    Second did anyone notice how the camry got the best handeling numbers while they said that mazda felt like it conered better, while Camry was much better over broken pavement??? So stupid. They are so pushing mazda 6. So I guess Camry has superior suspension it goes better over broken pavement AND it de-facto handeles better. It is also very quiet.
    I know that styling is subjective and I give it to Mazda, they did the best job, but the Accord was just so plain it is laughable. It lookes like Kia rio from the front, and the back it is a bad imitation of 97-01 camry. I give them that it is a good car, but it is so not better than Camry.
    I guess the magazine goes with the newest cars that come out. Possibly because companies put a lot of money in hte ad. business, so the magtazines that get the money are biased at that time. I think I am objective when I say that camry is the best car.
  • Options
    I think a set of rubber mats will be cheaper than packing up and moving to VA!

Question: The Camry gets better gas milage than the Fords. I have however noticed in the snow the car does not seam to hug the road as much. Is this because the Camry is perhaps a lighter car...better mileage but not as secure in the snow. I did not not opt for the anti-lock brakes because I did not see it coupled with traction control on the LE...did I miss something?

(and follow owners, don't blame the junky tires that now come with the Camry...the Fords always had the same junk too)
  • Options
    billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    Hello all,
    Anyone have any experience with the DVD Navigation system? How do you like it? Does it have a voice response similar to what the Magellan system in Hertz cars has? Overall, is it worth the additional price?

Also, how often do you have to upgrade the Mapping software and what does that cost?

Thanks!