Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011-12 Optima

Comments

• Options
    mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I have a 2011 Kia Optima LX auto (2.4 liter GDI). What is a good interval to change the oil? Would greatly appreciate any suggestions/feedback/opinion. Thanks.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    really?

Somebody who drives a mazda 6 and is a dude should know this :)
  • Options
    dskidski Member Posts: 414
    I make it easy and go with 5K so I can do the tire rotation and oil change at the same visit.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers about how fuel economy requirements are changing what people drive. He is looking for consumers who consider fuel economy their top consideration while shopping for vehicles that range from pickups to luxury cars to EVs. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply with your name, phone number and email address to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, September 21st.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    bear21013bear21013 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an Optima EX Turbo 4 weeks ago and I'm at 1800 miles. The high hp/high gas mileage of the 2.0T and the styling got me looking at the sonata and then the AC seats pointed me to the Optima (not offered in the Sonata) For me, the styling of the Optima won out. I love the driver centered, European style, of the interior and to me the exterior was stunning. My opinion could have been swayed by the fact that there are a TON of Sonatas on the road and lots of older drivers behind the wheel. I see a dozen a day on my commute but I have only seen 2 other Optimas on the road in 4 weeks. I think you get a few more features for your $ with the Optima as well.

Gas mileage: My commute is 37 miles each way. 12 miles country-suburban/25 highway. If I turn eco mode on and drive as gently as I can I can hit 36 mpg average for my commute. If I turn eco off, accelerate quickly and drive fast, the MPG on my commute drops to about 26. Average for me with eco off and not trying either way is about 29 for my commute. This is in late summer in Baltimore, MD and its hot and humid and should not be much different weather-wise than FL this time of year.
  • Options
    As you all know Kia recommends 5w20 oil for the 2011 Kia Optima with the 2.4L engine. I am thinking about changing to 0w20 oil, synthetic. Is this a good idea? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Last time the "oil" discussion came up, there was a consensus (and my mechanical Engineer relative confirmed) that there is no benefit to synthetic unless your engine calls for it (e.g. turbo, etc).

So you won't get to go longer between changes, and it won't protect your engine better...it'll just be more expensive.

I think it's along the same lines as using premium gasoline...it's better...but only if your vehicle requires it.
  • Options
    You think there will be a difference just going to 0w20, even though 5w20 is recommended?
  • Options
    I'm not an expert on oil...but as far as I know extending the "range" of numbers shouldn't adversely affect your engine.

e.g. going to 0w50 won't harm your engine since 5w20 is within that range...it's just 0w50 is much more expensive.

Normally you'd only go beyond the manufacturers range when you modify your engine; such as over boosting a turbo. I think most turbo's recommend synthetic anyway.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    What is the advantage in using 0w20 versus 5w20?
  • Options
    More and more automakers are changing from 5w20 to 0w20 to increase mpg's on their sedans and meet CAFE standards. I wanted to change over to 0w20 and see if there is any difference. If I can get couple extra mpg's, why not. I doubt there will be any harm to the engine.

What do you think?
  • Options
    I guess I can't see any reason not to but don't you think with all the pressure to meet CAFE the Kia engineers wouldn't have specified it. I always follow the manual because I just can't imagine that a small difference in oil like that would make much difference in MPG. Is it the same price?
  • Options
    mikezak1mikezak1 Member Posts: 14
    From another site, I have seen that the new Kia plant in Georgia is beginning to roll 2012 Optimas off the line. When I ask the Dealer I get the look like a 'deer in the headlights' and the response,..."Soon".... :surprise:

Does anyone have specific information on when they will start appearing at Dealers???

In addition, now that the are going to be produced in the US, do you think a person could 'order' an Optima to their specific color and options?

Thanks.
  • Options
    0w20 costs more. I guess its best to stay with what the manual says.
  • Options
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    64221306422130 Member Posts: 47
    Is this a good forum to disced what are serious design and safety issues with the optima?
  • Options
    Sure, you are welcome to post your concerns with the 2011 or 2012 Optima here.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    mihmih Member Posts: 10
    I've been driving Kia Optima EX for about six months, but haven't driven a long trip before.

Everything is great (The superb exterior looking, high-quality interior design and great audio sounds, cup holders on each seat, air conditioning at the back, and so on).

The "ONLY" part that I did not like is that,
    I don't know how to call that part, the part where a person's head rests on...

the angle of that thing is tilted towards inside, so you can not rest your head comfortably...

anyone having these issues ??

* I also found that the car aligns to the right at a high speed, this is fixable at no cost by warranty , right ? by wheel alignment and balancing ??

Thanks
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    well, that used to be called, the head rest! I believe now it is called a head restraint?

But, this is a common issue on many cars. They are angled forward now for safety (less chance of whiplash), though for many people it pushes your head forward. Something i make sure to look for whenever i check out a car!

and yes, the drifting issues seem to be common on the Sonata, and I assume some Optimas too. And they should take care of it for you.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    alexandyalexandy Member Posts: 16
    Hi all...Owning a couple of cars that call for 0w20, you will find that availability is not anywhere near that of 5w20...Example: I use Pennzoil Ultra (good synthetic that is available at Wal-Mart) but it doesn't come in 0w20. I use the 5w20. Also, my understanding of why manufacturers are calling for 0w20 is that basically guarantees it is a Synthetic. To go 10,000 miles between changes, you really need a Synthetic. At operating temperature, both oils are basically a 20 weight. The 0w20 "flows" better when cold so I would recommend it for really cold locations (I live in southeast Louisiana...doesn't get cold very often)
    Gary
  • Options
    Hi...I'm in the market to replace our 2009 Camry and considering both Sonata and Optima. I have to admit, at first glance, I much prefer the look of the Optima. Question Though...In researching, I came across a page on the Car & Driver website that discussed a "discrepancy" between the performance (0-60 times) of the Sonata 2.0T vs the Optima 2.0T...they tested the Optima and got around 7.5 seconds. They went back and checked the Sonata time and it was around 6.5. They even had Kia send them another Optima and it was roughly the same as before (around 7.5). They couldn't explain the difference. Is this a case of the "Mother Company" (Hyundai) wanting to have an advantage over the "Sibling Company" (Kia)? Turbo's can be tweaked quite a bit. Any Insight?
    thanks,
    Gary
  • Options
    Hello...I've done a lot of car research in the last couple of months and seem to recall that the "fix" had to do with "calibration" of the new electric power steering assist?? people mentioned trying everything (new struts, tires, alignment, etc.) and nothing fixed the problem until the electric steering was updated.
    Gary
  • Options
    snortnersnortner Member Posts: 10
    I've been researching 2012 kia optimas online and have noticed that on autotrader.com there are a lot of 2011's being listed as 2012's. Is this a common practice by dealers? Do you think that the fact that the Kia website hasn't been updated to show a 2012 optima yet even though the dealers already have them is somehow related?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No relationship. Not uncommon.
  • Options
    mskitkamskitka Member Posts: 20
    To those who own a 2011/12 Optima, can you tell me are you still experiencing the pulling to one side issue? If so, has KIA addressed it with you or basically told you to find your own way? Also, do people find the seats and suspension comfortable on long drives?
  • Options
    64221306422130 Member Posts: 47
    Between that issue and the a/c problems, I am completely frustrated, especially with the reps from Kia motors. The most recent rep is at least pleasant, but slow to respond. I have no choice but to go with lemon law which I have not yet started...just wanted a fixed car or exact replacement. I was not asking for anything big and they will spend more on legal fees fighting with me. Too bad, nice car in many ways but they need a mass recall as the car is unsafe.
  • Options
    Purchased my EX Turbo in July and had it for over 2 months before reading about the "pulling issue" here. I never noticed a pulling or a drift but after reading about it here, I'm paying attention to it. I guess I can detect a slight drift to the left when I take my hands of the wheel. I'm very particular and will probably ask about it at my next service but I can't say it's that noticeable. I definitely wouldn't say it's "unsafe" at least not with my Vehicle. I've never noticed that I have to hold the wheel to the right constantly to keep the car tracking straight. I would think a thorough test drive of the car before purchasing should determine if it's a problem for you.

Regarding comfort on long drives: I use mine for long drives with work between Cincinnati, Indianapolis and St. Louis. Yes, the seats are a bit firm for my taste. I've driven Saab 9-5's the past 10 years and prefer those seats. However, the harder Seats in the Optima weren't enough of a problem to keep me from buying. Also, I'm pretty slim. If i were any wider, I probably would not like the firm side boosters on the seat bottom. One thing I HAD to have after 10 years in Saabs was Cooled Seats. I preferred Saabs Ventilated system over cooled but.. I do Love the cooled seats. Heated Steering wheel was an unexpected and pleasant surprise as well.

Hope all that helps
  • Options
    Yes, thank you, that does help a bit. I have been calling around to the local Kia dealerships and they say it is still an issue that they are aware of. I used to lease a '05 Saab 9-3 and I loved that car! I had no problems whatsoever with it. It's disappointing that Saab are going bankrupt as it was one of the nicest cars I've driven outside of my '98 Audi A4. My Honda Accord has seats that are firm but more like the Saab. I'll have to sit in the Kia seats. I'm looking at the SX so not sure if that is going to change the feel a bit. From my research, it sounds like Kia has a great product but technically it's really in a beta testing stage and they do seem to need to improve certain things before they can claim good reliability.
  • Options
    mball572mball572 Member Posts: 5
    I've had an ex turbo since June and have experienced no pulling problems. Only issue is running rough before it warms up on cooler mornings.
  • Options
    chazechaze Member Posts: 4
    Optimas are coming from the GA plant now (in FL anyway). I'm working a deal on one now which (I'm told) is fresh off the truck from GA. Luckily getting it before they put nitro in the tires and put that crappy pin stripe on it. =)
  • Options
    Regarding Rough Idle before warming up: They've designed it to Idle much higher when it's cold in order to warm up a bit faster. I understand their thinking but like you, I don't care for it. If it bothers you there is a simple way to cancel it.... Start the engine, if it's Idling high simply shut the engine off and restart. After the restart, it idles normally.
  • Options
    mball572mball572 Member Posts: 5
    Actually, it's not the warm up idle speed that's the problem. After the idle kicks down it runs rough, almost like it is going to die, for a another couple of minutes. I took it in and they said the OBD didn't show anything so I'll drop it off at the dealer soon to let them recreate and address problem.
  • Options
    I test drove an Optima SX yesterday. I was very impressed with the steering and handling and the acceleration. The only things I did not like is I felt the low profile tires make the ride too firm. After awhile of sitting in the seats (I ended up speaking with the salesman for another 15 minutes sitting in the car), it began to get hard on my back. The butt cushion on the seats is comfortable and soft, it was the back and lumbar that got to me. Other then that, the interior was nice and easy to use, if not a little plain, but had all features. I most likely will not get one because even though I like a firm ride, it was a little too firm for me. I even prefer the ride of the 2012 Mustang over this. Still all in all more impressed then I expected to be.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I own Kia Optima EX. I had it for about 6 months now.
    Overall it's a great car, and the ride is a bit firm, but you'll get used to it.

Only complain I currently have is the angle of that head rest, but it's bearable, too.
    Perhaps, part of the reason is that, we, humans, keep looking for more comfortable .. like watching tv and eating popcorn with remote control.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Ditto. No pulling problems on my SX. Rpogh for a couple minutes as you stated. The steering is dead straight at 60 mph.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    edited October 2011
    The tires on the SX are the issue. I can't wait until 20K miles. I plan to ditch the Nexen tires for top rated HP All Season rubber. Also, seats are on the hard side so afaic, you need to make sure the seats are good for you in your ultimate choice for a car. They are OK for me.

BTW, BMW sport seats are the best I've experienced. :D

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    It may be the way one sits, height or just comfort level. I had read many complaints about the head restraints in the Ford Edge but when I tested one(specifically paying attention to the restraints) they didn't bother me a bit. So I think it's kind of a personal thing and how you fit in or sit in the car. I've seen a few complaints about the Optima head restraints but based on the many reports from owners I've read, very few have complained about the head restraints. Now the seats it seems like everyone thinks they are anywhere from firm to slabs of granite. Again, somewhat of a personal issue it seems.
  • Options
    I have a 2011 LX automatic with 16's and the ride is very smooth and not firm at all. Having owned a Honda Accord, the optima is actually smoother and quieter. Obviously, since I am on 16's I have a lot more rubber so the ride is smoother then the EX or SX.
  • Options
    mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I have seen how people have complained about the head reats in numerous brands. We can blame our meddling government for that. I don't know when the law went into effect, but the government required all car manufacturers to make them the way they are due to safety concerns.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'm confused about head rest comments here. They are NOT "head rests" they're Head Restraints designed to prevent neck injuries... not for resting or sleeping. Saab greatly advanced the Technology back in 1998 with Active Head Restrains that close the gap between the restrain and the drivers/ passengers head during a crash. Most manufactures now use that technology. It's a very inexpensive design improvement that was not initiated or required by any government agency. I suppose you could say it was just the Swedes being Swedish.

If you've ever had a neck injury you would appreciate the feature. I had a very serious whiplash injury from a Skiing accident. Trust me, you don't want to ever go through that experience.
  • Options
    After writing my last post in response to Head Restraints, I thought I'd follow up with a link for anyone interested in my comments, plus one correction, they were introduced in 1997 not '98. Follow the link below if you're interested:

www.shadetreemechanic.com/saab%20active%20head%20restraint.htm
  • Options
    mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I really don't care what they are called. My point was that people will post comments on a test drive of a paricular vehicle and complain about the Head RESTRAINTS making their necks uncomfortable as being the reason they can't buy that vehicle. The fact is that the vast majority of vehicles don't have the Saab Head RESTRAINTS. My point is that there is no difference in all the other vehicles except in the test drivers head. The RESTRAINTS will all be the same design because of the government's requirement.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Options
    Looks like I misunderstood what the complaint is. I was under the impression that the complaint was they were unable to Rest their heads comfortably, using the Head Restraint as a Head Rest. The terms imply two completely different things.

However, regarding the comment "that the vast majority of vehicles don't have Active Head Restraints".... I believe you will find that to be incorrect. In Fact, the 2011 Optima IS equipped with them. When shopping for a new car I found them in most of the cars I looked at.
  • Options
    People know what they are for. They just use the terms interchangebly. We know we're not supposed to sleep or rest while driving. Geeesh. Anyway, some of the headrests are very aggressively angled forward which, depending on the person, makes it uncomfortable. Like I said ealier, I did not have a problem at all in a vehicle I had heard a lot of complaints about. This leads me to believe that it depends on how a car may fit particular people. Maybe some people just like to drive with their head completely straight up or even tilted back a bit. The new angled head restraints(rests for short) can bother them. I haven't been bothered by any of them and I don't drive with my chin on my chest either.
  • Options
    Yes... I believe I admitted to misunderstanding the original complain on the issue.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2011
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Mazda 5, Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, or Toyota Sienna. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks!
  • Options
    lakerfan24lakerfan24 Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2011
    Did anyone here know that you can adjust the head restraint? Yes, you can. From the back of the restraint, push forward towards the front of the car. There will be a click forward. I believe it will click forward 3 times then it will go BACK the it's original position. It also adjusts up and down as most do. I just got my 2012 SX. :)
  • Options
    Really ? I gotta try, or it could be only for SX?
  • Options
    Proper tire pressure ? Kia Optima EX
    I read in the forum that the optimum pressure is 35 psi.
    Since it's winter, I heard that I should adjust it to 37 psi when hot.
    Did I do it correctly ?

(Another question) For other cars, how do I know the proper tire pressure ? when only thing on the tire is max psi, say 42 psi