Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011-12 Optima

Comments

• markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    Go to www.kia.com and choose that on the homepage. This is a "survey" site but shows you the options and prices available. Can't wait to see the car in person. No news from my sales guy in Toronto yet...
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    edited June 2010
    Korean marketing site with some nice video and images here: http://k5.kia.co.kr/style/style.asp

Hopefully the colors under the "Style" tab all come to the US.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    interesting article on the upcoming new Optima (called the K5 on its home market)

New Kia K5/Optima sedan sales hit 10,673 units last month. The K5 dethrones Sonata as the top-selling car in Korea!
    According to latest new car sales data from South Korea, the newly unveiled Kia K5 mid-size sedan (known as Kia Optima overseas) has outsold the long-time sales leader Hyundai Sonata in the domestic market. It has happened for the first time that Kia’s mid-size sedan has topped the monthly sales chart in Korea.

Last month, Kia dealers sold 10.673 units of the K5 sedan, while Hyundai sold 9.957 Sonatas. From its very first day on the market, the K5 has been in high demand. The K5 sold 3.552 units within the first five days of its debut on May 25 with the number of sales contracts rising to an average of 831 vehicles per day.
    Wow this system is pretty sweet. He doesnt mention it will be on the K5/Optima but I assume it's the same system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzVhjSEpjQI
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    edited July 2010
    Backy, check the location of the factory.??. I think it is located in Montgomery, ALA not Birmingham.

van
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    And it took you nearly two months to catch that? :P
    I'm hoping to see a few "first drives" here in the US market soon since it's beginning to pop up here and there. Here is a video "sneak peak" for those who havent seen it.

http://drivencarreviews.com/?p=2717

Sharp car. Visually it looks great, I just need to hear thoughts on how it rides. Handling, noise level, performance, etc.

And a quote from the text:
    "Often photographs don’t do a car justice and to be honest my first impressions of the Optima’s web pics were tepid. I’m now a believer. In person this car has a gravity that’s hard to describe. It’s design appears more expensive than many cars wearing established premium badges. These days it’s hard to create an attractive signature look that doesn’t mimic some other brand, Kia appears to have done it with a sweeping piece of chrome that slices through the top of the C pillar. It’s a home run. "
    In the video, the interior (especially the dash) does look richer than in photos posted earlier. Less Pontiac-looking, more Saab-looking. Gotta lose those wheels, though! :P
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited July 2010
    wow, what a beautiful car. I think it's gonna be one of those that will just grab you and hold on when you stand right by it. Let's see, the nearest Kia dealer ta me is probably in Twin Falls, ID, about 169 miles north. :blush:

But then again, I believe that if I stay with Mitsubishi, the nearest Mitsu dealer is in Boise, ID, about 229 miles north. So go with the Optima, then, right? ;)

It is a beautiful, stunning body design. I love the "SW to NE" slant angle on those cupholders right next to the gearknob. Beautiful car, I would have to say, backy, this one does trump the 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS, though my love of the Kizashi GTS has really not waned much at all.

Oh, if I only had Jay Leno's money. And an airplane hangar like that to hold all of my toys. Sigh. :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Like the interior better than the Sonatas. This looks a little more traditional aka functional. Ditto the wheels--everybody hates them and I hope KIA reads some of these posts and realizes how corny they look on a midsize family sedan.

The one thing that bothers me so far (as nitpicky as I am I'm sure I'll find something else) is the number of buttons on the steering wheel. I'm not sure but I think I counted 15 give or take. Thats a lot on a steering wheel IMO. Nothing I couldn't get used to but just looks busy.

It's also interesting to note that both the Sonata and the Optima has the chrome strips running the length of the car but just in a little different places. Supposedly completely different designers but I wonder if they compared notes?
    The steering wheel is one of my bigger gripes with the Sonata, I really like the Kia version. Same with the Sonata's little stick figure AC controls, I prefer Kia's solution. Not a deal breaker by any means, just minor preferences. I also love the SX seat design with the two tone. Another big advantage in my mind for the Kia is the UVO system which seems very cool.

Yes just in case any Kia people read this, it's worth mentioning again the wheels need to go. I dont think I could get used to them.

I think the Sportage hits very soon so maybe after that we'll see more focus on the Optima. Get some out to the review sites and have at it.
    Then there's the chrome band that runs around the entire car, down the B-pillars, between the doors, and across the roof, on the 2012 Elantra.

Or maybe I just imagined I saw that... :)
    You like the Optima's steering wheel better? I actually think the Sonata's steering looks a little cleaner I guess just because it has fewer buttons on it. I especially dislike the two tone steering wheel the Sonata has when they do certain color combos though.

Ford Sync is just coming out with new version in the 2011 Edge. Supposed to be really slick recognising something like 10,000 voice commands or some huge number. I wonder how the UVO will compare with that. I saw a video of the UVO in action from the LA auto show I believe and it looked, or should I say sounded, pretty good.

The Sportage with the 274hp should be a little shooter but I think like all the other Hyundai/Kia models they will probably want to sell a bunch of the normal aspirated versions before they bring on the turbo. Just my thoughts.
    Did you see the video of the Elantra(Avante) parking? I think the front of the Elantra looks better than the Sonata....less ripple effect. That is going to be one nice looking compact car. It's about time the exterior caught up with the interior.
    I like the Elantra from the outside. I dont mind the chrome so much. I agree with m6 about the front being superior to the Sonata. Not as funky, for lack of a better term. Interior is just "ok". I think the Chevy Cruze has the advantage in that class for interiors.

@m6user Yeah I prefer the Kia steering wheel overall, but it's the 2 tone variant of the Sonata wheel that really turns me off. Sonata wheel in black is fine. It's to the point I'd almost have to get a black interior on the Sonata because of it.

From what I've read of UVO it's going to be good, but not as advanced as the new SYNC. It's got some improvements, seems to be simplified and not overly ambitious. Still, Kia is an early adopter of the technology and I'd be happy to just have the basics. Speaking of that kind of system though, I wonder if it's something that can be updated as they develop new tech. Some type of software you can update or something.
  • I love the wheels.
    Seriously? On this car? If so, that's fine but I just think are hundreds of others that would look better.
    Sonata wheel in black is fine. It's to the point I'd almost have to get a black interior on the Sonata because of it.

I feel the same, the solid black is what I like. Since that would be the only combination I would consider that why I said I like the Sonata's steering wheel better. I'm pretty sure the Optima steering wheel would look terrible in that dual color combo as well.

Don't know if you like built in NAV or not but I believe I read that if you want the UVO, you can't get the NAV. Seems kind of strange but I'm sure I read it somewhere.
    I actually like the chrome strips on both of them but the Sonata's positioning is better IMO.

I know you're not a big chrome lover so do you really think there's too much on the Elantra?
    No. But I am having trouble lately with the Emotorcons not displaying, so it was not clear that I was making a little joke re every new Hyundai/Kia model having its own distinctive chrome band, someplace where no chrome band has gone before.
    Yeah I think we talked about the UVO here somewhere actually. Last I heard they were in the process of trying to integrate it into the NAV but as yet had not done it. Almost makes me want to wait a year til they get it done.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/212268.asp

"In its first implementations, UVO will be visible as a Post-it-note-sized LCD screen on the center console. The screen is much smaller than the one inside Kias with a navigation system. And the two systems don't yet work together.

"UVO and navigation at this stage are kind of mutually exclusive," Bzeih said.

And at this stage, UVO won't support any third-party apps, though that is on Kia's road map for the platform. But its voice recognition system is superior to the currently available Ford Sync, in that drivers don't have to tell it to navigate to different parts of the system hierarchy: In Sync, a user may have to tell it to go to the contacts list, search for "Mom" then call her cell; in UVO, the driver can just push a button on the steering wheel and tell the system to call Mom."
    Here's some UVO videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxWpEgdRK0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs5qMrxEplE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqMdrqq9jjk&NR=1

At the 6 minute mark of that last one, you'll hear the Kia rep saying nav and uvo are not integrated but they still have time.
    I mentioned ta steve about the crappy performance of emotorcons showing up lately, and he said to empty my cache? To that I emptied my recycle bin and still am having occasional problems with the emotorcons turning to red X's.

How does one empty their cache, anyway?

• go under Tools and pick Options in your browser. Depending on which one you use, you may have an empty cache option or you may need to delete addresses, pages, other stored content piecemeal.
    thanks and I'll look in to doing just those types of things.

edited July 2010
    the 2011 Kia Optima is by far my favorite Kia sedan. It just knocked the 2011 Kia Forte sedan off the block as my favorite Kia sedan.

2011 Kia Optima in delicious red

Please note that Delicious Red is likely not the name Kia gives the red they're painting their 2011 Optima. I just called it that! ;)

Hey, thanks for posting. Like the dash a lot more than the Sonata and the steering wheel looks better in a blown up picture. I think it's just my personal preference for more of a cockpit type, driver type interior versus an open, luxury car type interior look. Both are nice but I prefer the more traditional versus flowing.
    Delicious Red is actually a pretty good name for it.

But the wheels....aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    You know in this one instance, even though I'm still not fond of the wheels at all, I could possibly maybe live with them. Temporarily. Maybe. I wouldnt say they are growing on me so much as the car itself in that red looks so good I can almost overlook them.
    Not me. The wheels stink and I don't know if they would even look good on a GTI or something like that. The new Sportage also is being shown with similar wheels. Must be a total difference in cultural likes and dislikes as it seems these kind of wheels are popular in Korea. Maybe when the US version will be different. Hoping so anyway. Nothing wrong with them if you like them but IMO they just don't suit the car.
    I really hope I dont have to get them, but I'm kind of resigning myself to the fact that they will indeed come that way on the turbo. I've seen too many US models now with them. I still hate them, just a little less in that picture.

My question now though is, was that interior equipped with UVO? It had a large screen that looked like nav, but I believe one of those buttons on the steering wheel (bottom, right side spoke, on top above the phone button) is for the UVO speech recognition. If that car does in fact have UVO, it looks to me like they've integrated it with the NAV. Of course that's pure speculation on my part.
  • googonabikegoogonabike Member Posts: 27
    backy,dash5 and at all. Don't despair. I just came back from Korea.
    Had a chance to take a close look at dealership in showroom. Nicely equipped K5, (Korean name for US Optima) all power, leather, moonroof etc. sticker: ca. 20,500 USD. Then I drove one ( my son just got one in black), looks gorgeous, and drives better than 2011 Sonata. Both came with beautiful VW CC like wheels.
    I have no reason to believe that these wheels won't make it to our shores.
    BTW,until now I had my mind, heart and sights set on 2010 Kizashi GTS. Not any more.
    Lease on my 2009 Legacy SE is up August 27, but I am determined to wait until Optima is out, Hopefully, early fall.
    Boy, pics would have really been nice. Little curious on the price though. $20k doesn't seem right for leather and moonroof. Is that correct or are we missing something?
    Haven't all the pics we have been seeing of the Optima the non-turbo version? Maybe the wheels on the turbo would actually be different and look better.
  • googonabikegoogonabike Member Posts: 27
    Price in my post in $US is rough estimate, and it depends on the exchange rate.
    About this time one $US = 1205 Korean wons. Window sticker was showing 25 (plus change) millions wons. I kicking myself for not taking any pictures.
    edited July 2010
    I was under the impression that those wheels indicated SX trim, along with the two tone seats and metal pedals based on this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/01/2011-kia-optima-new-york-2010-live-reveal/

"For consumers looking for even more sporty appeal, the Optima SX adds unique black leather woven seat trim, black interior trim with carbon insert film and metal accent, Supervision™ meter cluster with LCD display, center fascia and meter housing, soft trim with French seams, steering wheel paddle shifters, metal pedals and lighted metal door scuff plates. "

Although... there are no paddle shifters on the red one so maybe I am wrong?
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    The Optima will probably follow the Sportage with rim designs. Here in Canada the Sportage photos you see all the time (and the same with the Optima with a slight different design) are the 18" rims, the 17" are different and so is the 16" rims.
    You're probably right then and with what the poster from Canada says they are probably the 18" rims shown and would be the ones on the SX most likely. Too bad. Maybe they will look better in person versus photos. That does happen sometimes but I'm not holding my breath. Besides, the few posters that post here could very well be in the minority as to the wheels. I was reading a couple of other blogs and saw some comments that the wheels were great so it's really a matter of taste.
  • Excuse me, but what is with the obsession with the look of these wheels? They are not carbon copies of anything else, they do not look cheap, and the design shows some real creativity. Swap them out if you don't like 'em. Easy enough to do. I don't know of any model these days that doesn't offer more than one design. Plus, you can get anything you want aftermarket.
    They look very cheap to me--like some $25 plastic covers from Wal-mart. As for creativity, they look like the vent on my bbq grill. Also like some other wheels, e.g. 2009-10 Sonata Limited, although those at least have a little more detail and look more like metal than plastic.

Swapping wheels is easy, true. Also expensive.
    edited July 2010
    They look a lot like these on the Golf:

VW Golf Rims

But anyway yeah easily replaced if you dont like them but then you're talking $500+ easily added on to the cost. The wheels wont stop me from getting this car, I'm just saying they're not my favorite.
    I guess you could call it an obsession but to me it's just a great looking looking car with stupid looking wheels(my opinion only) on it. I usually don't even care that much about wheels. Most any alloys will do. But to me these wheels just detract from the good looks of the car. I never said they looked cheap or that others wouldn't like them and if you do and they are the wheels that are coming on it consider yourself lucky.

I've never tried to switch out wheels at a dealer because, like I said, I'm not really that picky and all the cars that I've purchased over the years had pretty decent looking(my opinion) wheels. If it is as easy as you say to switch them out at the dealer for minimal cost that would be great but I have a feeling it's just not that pain free.
  • It will of course depend on the dealer, as well as the difference in cost between one Optima wheel style and another. In the negotiation process, it often is not that difficult to get one style or size of wheel swapped with another.
    Kind of sounds like an opportunity for instant dealer profit to me but I guess that's the fine for wanting something different. If it was just a choice like "do you want these wheels or these wheels, no extra charge" it would be great but I'm sure that's a fantasy world.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    What percentage will have 18 inch wheels? Looking at replacement costs and wear on my Maxx's 16's and my Optima's 17's I occasionally wish I'd gotten the base car and found some sixteen inch wheels from Tire Rack.
    I am under the impression that if you order the SX model with the turbo that it comes with the 18" rims. As to what percentage of all Optimas will be sold in the SX turbo version I really don't know. Maybe 20% would be my guess.
    Per the Kia rep on this site, I asked and she responded:

"Also, the UVO system cannot be had simultaneously with the navigation. They are both options for the US market."

Read more: http://kia-buzz.com/?p=5019&cpage=1#comment-6816#ixzz0v1xiRSnV
  • bfrasurebfrasure Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have any information when this car will start turning up in showrooms? I stopped at the local Kia dealer to inquire and they looked at me like I had 3 eyes.
    Dealer by me told me "very soon". I'm guessing September/October personally.