Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Jetta, Jetta Wagon and Golf all have a shortage of legroom in the backseat. I expected that this issue would be solved in the next design. I've already seen a European review faulting the new Golf for lack of rear seat legroom. Will be interesting to see if the new Jetta will be different than the Golf.
    Expect that I will have to move up to the Passat to get decent interior space for the passengers.
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Better is right, the "Jetta" is a dog to sell in Europe. Nobody wants them, the sedan is considered an old people's car.
    The quality is the same, though, such as it is. The advice from people who write used-car buying guides (ADAC, auto motor & sport) is to consider the jetta 'cuz it's thousands cheaper than the equivalent Golf.
    I'm not a big fan of the engines put in 'em in the US, I also think they will be more problematic than Japanese cars, but I agree, a Jetta will be more fun than those. It'll nickel&dime you over the years ("nickel" is German for $300), but it will last a long time if treated right. There is a difference between longevity and reliability.. VWs and Audis exemplify it. But lets get real, folks, this ain't no Kia, this is the hottest-selling car in Europe and has been for decades [Golf].
    VWs, up to recently anyway, have been very dear in the used market, and I would buy a new one just based on that as well as the warranty. Also, being the snob I am, I'd get the Jetta wagon or the Wolfsburg or some such that is actually built in Germany. I believe, without real data to support it with, that those are built better.
    -Mathias
    East Lansing, MI
  • Options
    prodigalsunprodigalsun Member Posts: 213
    I don't think the wolfsburg Jetta or Golf has actually been built in wolfsburg for about 10+ years.
  • Options
    lcostantinolcostantino Member Posts: 21
    Prodigal Sun - ROFLMAO - I'll remember that line if/when the windows go...

Steine13 - love the German "nickel" definition, I suspect you're right...I had a Volvo prior to this and the Swedish "nickel" is worth about $500, at least at Scandinavian Auto Service in Simi Valley...
  • Options
    mochalattemochalatte Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the reassurance. I am enjoying and loving the car so far :)

Since your friend has such a high mileage, do you happen to know whether there is any preventive maintenance that I should do (as opposed to waiting for them to break)?

Since the VR6 uses timing chain, that means there is no timing belt to worry about. I'm wondering if there is any other item that I should look out for (i.e., the one that if it breaks, will cause a lot of $$$ to fix ^-^).
  • Options
    rc7762rc7762 Member Posts: 35
    Not long ago when I wanted that used Jetta. You were smart to do your homework and go into it with an open mind, I did neither and got stung!

I still remain optimistic that you will have good luck with your Jetta. Just remember that so called "German Engineering" can be a double edged sword - Fun to drive, but could be a real pain in the wallet.

Congrats & good luck
  • Options
    jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    Quote: All the sedans are made in Mexico including the Wolfsburg edition.

I don't think that's accurate. They are made and asembled at VW's plant in Wolfsburg, Germany. Hence the term 'Wolfsburg edition".
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    3VWPE69M43M187749 is a VIN from a Wolfsburg edition Jetta. 3=Mexico All Jetta Sedan for USA and Canada are made in Mexico.
    What I stated was 100% accurate. Wolfsburg is only a name and a special equipment package.
  • Options
    hailwolfsburghailwolfsburg Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone I am the newest member of the VW family I love my 2003 Wolfy! I was wondering about getting a cold air intake and exhaust for the car but will it void the warranty and also what kinds are the best to get? I dont want an obnoxious sounding exhaust though. Also will these two modifications increase fuel efficiency and what kind of power gain will be achieved? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Gains from an exhaust and CAI...slight but not nearly on the leve of an APR chip. Chip your 1.8T with a programmable apr (go from performance to normal mode for warranty visits).

A CAI and exhaust can't even touch a new chip. Dollar for dollar it's the most powerful change you can make. Add a 28 mm rear swaybar and you'll also come closer to getting neutral handling instead of the jetta's trademark slop and roll.
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    You need to properly match the front sway with the rear sway. A 28mm rear sway will induce some oversteer, thus not being "neutral".

For a CAI, I had an AEM on my VR6 and on my 1.8T. The sound of the AEM with an aftermarket Diverter Valve (I had a Forge 007p) was great.

I also had an APR 93 Chip which gave very good performance increase over stock, but the power delivery wasn't very smooth and there is more turbo lag with a chip (because the turbo has to spool up more).

As for exhaust, I'm not sure... A lot of people like the Milltek Exhaust - it gives a mellow smooth quality sound.

As for warranty, if your mods caused whatever problem you are having, don't expect VW to fix it for you. Otherwise you'll be fine...

- Anthony
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! I thought about the chip as well. I think for starters though I will go with the CAI and exhaust. The chip will come later. My car only has 25 miles on it as I work in the on a boat in the gulf of Mexico.. I cant wait to get back in to go joy riding! Should I wait until the first oil change to switch to synthetic or go ahead and do it now? Also is Castrol Syntech a good brand or should I go with Redline? I dont plan on auto crossing the car or anyhting but want max engine protectiion.. Also are Bosch platinum plugs worth the money? This is my first brand new car so I want to take all precautions in taking good care of it. Any other hints are welcome. Thanks again in advance.

-Jeremy
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    You need to properly match the front sway with the rear sway. A 28mm rear sway will induce some oversteer, thus not being "neutral".

I consider that neutral. :) I love oversteer. Keeps ya on your toes.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Yeah, I also thing that if you will spend the 200 or so dollars on up on parts and installation, just remember the stock one is like 22mm. The front wheel drive, front engine, while it has some advantages, in the handling department it does have wicked disadvantages. When I do decide to get the rear sway bar, I would be targeting the 28mm to help to offset the structural disadvantage.
  • Options
    Don't change the spark plugs, there is no power gain to be had there.

You can switch to synthetic at the first oil change of 5k. Stick to Mobil1 for an oil.

Wait until after 1,000 miles to add an intake and an exhaust to your car, let everything break in properly with all the factory parts.

When you get back, go on a nice drive for a few hundred miles and enjoy the car.

- Anthony
  • Options
    biggie2biggie2 Member Posts: 45
    Anyone know what oil the VW service department uses? Is it their own brand or a rebadged brand, and is it synthetic or not... Can you even specify?? I swear my dealer is a dumb [non-permissible content removed], cant get a straight answer from him to save my life.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    VW uses regular oil in their changes, from what I was told. They never said what brand though, it might vary between dealers. I know my dealer also told me that I had to pay extra for an oil change when I was going to get it, because I had a 1.8t. I don't know why, but told them not to do the change for me anyway.
  • Options
    It is a dino based oil, not synthetic. Most of the dealers I have been to either use Quaker State or Castrol.
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    If you have the TDI engine, VW insists that synthetic oil is used. (else the warantee is voided)

For the TDI engine, all of the dealers use the "special" Castrol syntec 5w40 that is specifically imported for and only available thru VW dealers.

I cannot speak for the VW 2.0 or the Audi 1.8T engines.
  • Options
    VW OEM has a technical bulletin Feb 1999 in which it does say very clearly that 5w30 synthetic oil should be used and the customers notified of the change for ALL TDI engines 1996-1999. Most would connect the dots and say it applies to 2000-2003 model years.

However, as late as 2003, the information can be a tad confusing about requirements for TDI engine oil.

While I personally use Mobil Delvac One 5W40, which carries the highest current CI-4 rating and is a group IV synthetic, there is a fair amount of latitude which can lead to controversy.

My 2003 VW Jetta Owner's Manual sez this:

" Diesel Engine
    VW 505 00,
    ACEA B3 or ACEA B4,
    API Service CF4 or API Service CG4"

Additionally,

"General recommendations

If 5W40 or 5W30 viscosity grade oil is not available in your area, be sure to always use a viscosity grade suitable for the climate and seasonal conditions that exist where the vehicle is being operated. Always make sure that the oil meets the quality standards listed above."

When you look at service manuals such as CD Bentley's the choices are even further expanded. Also the below data points plug into the above paragraph's VW OEM quote.

Multi grade oil, specification API CF

(my aside: both categories are temperature driven, ie this table is on a relative temperature graph)

5w50, 10w50, 10w60,

5w30, 5w40,

10w30, 10w40,

15w40, 15w50, 20w40, 20w50,

Under energy conservation oils it lists:
    5w30, 5w40, 10w30, 10w40

So while I personally will continue to use "synthetic", specifically Mobil Delvac One 5w40, group IV, the data POINTS to the various viscosity weights that meet the CF4 standard, which may or may not be synthetic and/or synthetic blend or even fully conventional. This is not even to gloss over what is meant by "synthetic" Of course it also points to the VW 505 00 standard.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the Jetta. I've been following the forums here for quite a while, so I know that you are not alone in that department.

It's just that I've always liked it over the other cars. So I decided that it might be better to try then fail, than to never try at all.

I guess I'll see what my experience will be in the next few months then. Since I am liking the car, I hope that my Jetta will not be so trouble-prone :)
  • Options
    Audi 1.8T is also Dino oil.

I will be switching to Mobil1 0w40 in my 03 A4 3.0 when I roll over the 10k mark (4.5k from now).

- Anthony
  • Options
    indicate the viscosity ranges are EXACTLY the same as for diesels!!!. 1. The major difference is the specification is for API SJ and/or SL. 2. There is NO recommendation or requirement for "synthetic."

So if I were to have a gasser/s either 2.0 or 1.8 or the V6, for my .02cents. I could use either diesel motor oil or conventional and or synthetic oil for gassers.

I would still use synthetic, i.e. Mobil One synthetic. I also would have no qualms going to 15,000 miles oil change intervals after the warranty period.

The additional thing about CI4 is that it is ALSO BACKWARD compatible for SJ and/or SL. So you can use oil used for diesel!!

Mobil One is a superior oil. Mobil Delvac One is even better !
  • Options
    Hello all i appreciate the tips... so Mobil 1 is the best sythetic to get okay... What is the ideal viscosity for the 1.8T engine? Speaking of Audi... anyone remember seeing a picture of the A4 Avus? That is a bad looking car. is it available in the states or no? Also I wonder why the Jetta doesnt do too well in the Touring car series on Speedchannel? I saw one finish up front only once but the rest of the time they do poorly. Any thoughts?

Jeremy
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Any one have any thoughts on the new (slight) changes for the new '04 Jetta? I think they are tasteful.
  • Options
    Saw my first 04 Jetta on the highway on Saturday. It had to be a GL, because it has plastic wheel covers.

I always have hated the chrome gille slits, I think they are overdone. The bodyside moldings are pretty classy looking, and I like the new trunklid that's kicked up a little at the edge. Can't say the same for the taillamps, which are actually available aftermarket for any Jetta. I have seen them in person, and I just hate them.

I hear they also changed the interior a little, but haven't gotten close enough to one to see the changes in person yet.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    well, new gauges, look pretty nice. i also do not like the chrome grill slats. a little too aftermarket looking. in fact, they are aftermarket - VW sold them for years through their parts dept. tacky.
  • Options
    They aren't aftermarket per se, they are a real VW accessory. But I agree with you, they are tacky. Someone I used to work with had them on their Galatic Blue Wolfsburg Jetta (an 01), and I hated the way they looked.

The new gauges are the Euro cluster that alot of people I know have paid extra for. I haven't seen them yet though, but will check the car out inside the first chance I get.
  • Options
    to me, an accessory not on the car at time of delivery, is aftermarket :) but thanks for the correction. i think.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    How's the PT?

The tailights look very similiar to teh Passats. I actually like the new changes. My car is as silent as ever. The rattles have all but disappeared. I think it has to do with the weather getting cooler.
  • Options
    Doing fine, thanks. Just turned 6800 miles today and the only problem thus far was a bad window regulator (too funny!) that the dealership found before I even knew it was bad.

The taillamps don't look as good as the Passat's do, IMO. I like the chrome on the bodyside moldings, but the grille is overdone and so are the lights in the back. I wanna see the inside though, like I said before.
  • Options
    boslgaboslga Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 2001 Jetta, Auto, both the six clylinder and four. I drove the cars and loved it. I'm concerned about the reliability as well. So much so that I'm considering a used Maxima or a Honda.

Although I keep coming back to the Jetta. I love the looks and features for the money.

Should I or not?
  • Options
    I just noticed in the last few days that there is some squeaking sound that seems to come from the seat belt housing. A bit annoying, since it is right at the ear level.

Has anybody ever encountered this? If yes, is there anything that I could do to fix it?

• Options
    Hey my VW service manager just told me to burn 89 instead of 93. This is for the 1.8T. He said at our altitude (near sea level) the 89 burns better. He told me that people who used 93 have more carbon build up here in Florida. I guess he knows what he's talking about but just wondered if anyone here could verify that claim.

Thanks,

Jeremy
  • Options
    dweller1dweller1 Member Posts: 39
    A 2000 2.o liter which i kept 2 years and traded for my 2003 1.8T, when i discovered the 2000 was drinking oil almost as rapidly as i consume diet coke. I really liked the 2k , until I drove the 1.8 and then decided to trade when the oil usage was found. Never had the window problem on either car, got a recall notice on the coil packs and had them changed before it could be a problem. The 4 year/50000 warranty was a huge enticement to buy another vw. I loved the car but would not have purchased another one with a 2yr/24 k guarantee. the 48/50 began with the 2002 model year. Bottom line, IMHO, dont waste your time with the 2.0 engine. they are slow, use oil, cost almost as much $$$$. Conversely, 1.8= fast , fun , reliable (18000 miles on mine so far). Also, sticker on a 1.8t jetta gl is 19325, you arent gonna get the total package this car offers with ANYTHING else on themarket for this little bucks!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    i have heard that before as well. had an 02 Turbo Jetta. the engine isn't designed for 93 - can cause issues for some reason. you could have him put it in writing on the service order, to make you feel better should you be worrying about hurting the engine.
  • Options
    I used to run 89 in my car and never had any problems for the 40K miles I had the car (02 1.8t).

The manual recommends 91 though, not 93. But that's not really available on the East coast it seems (not in MD anyway). Maybe that's the carbon problem, too high an octane.
  • Options
    dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    I seen a couple Jettas around town with Bora on the back where others have 1.8T or VR6 or what have you. Any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    BORA is the name of the Jetta everywhere else in the world outside of the Americas. people here take the Jetta insignia off the car and replace it with BORA to try to make their cars seem unique. you will also see Jettas with different lights, wheels, windshield wipers, grills, tailpipes, etc.
  • Options
    dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    Thanks, I would have never known if I hadn't of asked.
  • Options
    You can get the BORA badges pretty cheap (like $15 or so) from Ebay Motors. I had one, and you wouldn't believe how many people asked if I had my car imported...
  • Options
    august_mckaugust_mck Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking about buying this car,, was wondering what some owners had to say??
  • Options
    stoibs18stoibs18 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into purchasing a 2004 Jetta 5 speed manual and I was also wondering what good or bad comments current owners have to say.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Why don't you spend some time reading through some of the messages previously posted here? There's a ton of information available to you. And don't overlook the "Search This Discussion" feature on the page bar. That will help you track down posts containing specific keywords.

Good luck!
  • Options
    *)lots of pep
    *)A bit front-heavy for spirited cornering
    *)Engine is low to ground and can be damaged by frost-heaves or bumps if one is not careful.

Other than that, like all Jettas, it is a wonderful german roadcar with all the characteristics that come along with that notion.
  • Options
    elfy6xelfy6x Member Posts: 6
    I'm currently interested in buying a Jetta 2004. I actually went and test drove the new GLS 1.8T today and loved it. However, I'm a little concerned with its reliability. I have heard of electrical problems, ignition coil failures, and this supposed 1qt. of oil burn every 1k miles. I'm also considering a Honda Civic, Accord, and possibly a VW Passat, but not likely. I'm a college student so cost, reliability and that sort of thing is very important, however I do want a nice car also. I intend on keeping whatever I get for about 10 years or so. Any suggestions, would be great!
  • Options
    (elfy6x) You are mixing possible issues between engines.

I do not beleive that the Audi 1.8T engine has any issues with oil consumption. I have heard this complaint about the 2.0L VW engine if improperly broken in. (babying an engine during breakin may create an oil-burning, low MPG engine because the rings do not seat properly.)

The ignitors were a problem with defective parts being supplied for ALL of the Audi 1.8T engines (no matter what kind of vehicle the the engine was installed into) It took some time to build up a supply of replacement parts and deploy them across ALL Audi and VW vehicles. This should be a closed issue now.

Soooo.... the 1.8T is a proven, reliable powerplant that should provide years of dependable service.

Get what you like. All vehicles have their own unique quirks. As long as the dealer provides effective resolution to issues, you should be a satisfied customer. Choosing a diecent DEALERSHIP is the key to a satisfying long-term vehicle relationship.

VW is a fine German roadcar that is a joy to drive and own. Like any fine machine, it needs some attention and care to keep it in top shape.

If you prefer low-maintenance, A-to-B transportation... you may be happier with somthing other than VW

I have owned many differrent vehicles and have always come back to VW.

US-named vechicles tend to break... good thing they are reasonably cheep to repair and parts are plentiful and easy to find.

Asian-named vehcles seem to have no 'soul' and are reliable to the point of being almost boring. My daughters Honda Prelude (Sports car) has over 220,000 miles on it. Although it handles well... it does not have the same roadfeel that a german car offers.

German-named vehcles may need more attention... but the rewards are a fine automobile that begs to be driven. The handling of a VW is unmatched in other vehicles. I can drive 200 miles in a german roadcar and not feel 'beat' after the trip.

All of my VWs were well over 10 years old with over 150K miles on them. (and STILL running fine when sold)
  • Options
    ray127ray127 Member Posts: 4
    For those of you who wants to know where your VW was made, or want to buy a VW that's made in Germany, decode the VIN number to find out what plant it was made at. Look at the 11th digit. Do not look at the first digit, which is suppose to be the "Manufacturing Country". But all VW VIN starts with a "W" which translates to Germany, which is not true. I assumed VW did this to make it harder for people to tell which country the cars were actually made in.
    A - Ingolstadt, Germany
    B - Brussels, Germany
    E - Emden, Germany
    G - Graz, Germany
    H - Hanover, Germany
    K - Osnabruck, Germany
    M - Mexico
    N - Neckarsulm, Germany
    P - Brazil
    S - Stuttgart, Germany
    V - Westmoreland, PA. (USA)
    W - Wolfsburg, Germany
    Y - Spain (SEAT)
    I know it seems picky, but I would like my German car to be made in Germany. I was surprise to find some U.S. Golfs are still being made in Germany, you just have to find them. FYI, all Jetta's are made in Mexico, including the Wolfsburg.
  • Options
    ray127ray127 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry, all VW VIN do not start with "W". I meant all Passat VIN starts with "W", but some are made in Brazil while others are made in Germany. Incidently, mine was made in the latter.