Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    skinnypooskinnypoo Member Posts: 20
    fpgt93, you are not a VW "type" driver...you sound like an above average size person...please get yourself a caddy....maybe one that zigs. ;)

though, the cheap vw velour is a good point.

ps - check this out: http://www.cadillac.com/escalade/index_mac.htm

:-)

• Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Especially the part about the ergonomics. It's amazing that some people believe that this car has good ergonomics. The interior is made of high quality stuff and the controls move with precision though.

To all potential buyers: the back seat is useless except for children. I rarely have anybody in the back seat so this isn't much of an issue for me.

This car is fun to drive and is very comfortable when just cruising. But I will most likely try to unload it before the warranty expires. Spending $261 to replace a broken window regulator is not the kind of crap I want to put up with. If this is a common problem with Jettas, WV should cover the cost even after the warranty. To be fair, 2002 VWs are suppose to have 4 year/50K warranty. But this doesn't help me.
  • Options
    flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    Come on guys - if you don't like the Jetta - fine. But don't come here and complain about it. This is a site for Jetta Lovers. We get a little hurt when bad things are spoken about our beloved little car. All cars have their pros and cons. So we find what we like and buy it. But don't come here and spoil our fun.
    fpgt93 - check out the Passat V6 - its bigger, wider and has more power. or you can buy an SUV.
  • Options
    obmotobmot Member Posts: 61
    I certainly hope the gas mileage gets better!

As for a/c in Houston, I usually just drive with the windows down. I also leave my house at 82-84 degrees. I find that the reason everyone here hates the heat is because they over-air condition everything. By driving with windows down, and leaving my house warmer, I am not all that uncomfortable when i'm outside. I only put a/c on in the car when the wimpy texans that cant handle the heat start whining.

Of course my friends, with their houses at 60-65 degrees think I'm crazy. But my electric bill is $60/month at its highest and theirs run $250-$400 per month in the summer!
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I really am at a loss regarding this complaint. I think my friends must all be smaller than the average Joes out there. Honestly, I've ridden in the back of my own car and found it roomy and comfy with another person back there too. I can not say the same for the Accord, as my feet couldn't slip under the front seats while wearing hightops.

As I pointed out for another person a few days agao, just because the Jetta VR6 is priced near an Accord, that does not make them competitors. The cars are in two different classes. They are designed for different niche groups. Price is NOT the determining factor in declaring a class. Mercury Grand Marquis are also 23k, guess you should cross shop that too?

As for the 6 cylinder v. 1.8T...I'd agree about the RPM but then again I found the VR6 to be too nose heavy.
  • Options
    picenopiceno Member Posts: 55
    ..........ENOUGH SAID....
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, per the copyright terms of your Member Agreement, you cannot copy and paste articles from other websites.

Instead, we'd be happy to have you can post a link to articles of interest (assuming it is okay with the host site of course).

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    If you dislike the Jetta so much - why do you visit us so often? There is a subaru site for you. just a little perplexed at all the negative vibes. Could it be that in your heart you really want a cute lil Jetta to call your own?
  • Options
    picenopiceno Member Posts: 55
    YOU are right...I will move on to the Honda Accord
    town hall site...it is not fair to you JETTA lovers out there. My apologies.
    You won't hear me griping on this site again....

Piceno
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories0723/vwdiesel723.htm

Above link is an article about the VW TDI and the strong sales of VW Jetta TDI and other VW TDI's.

Don't bother to read it if you are not the least bit interested in diesels.

• Options
    be had in CA? Any truth to this rumor?
  • Options
    cjk1026cjk1026 Member Posts: 2
    Took delivery on a 2001 GAS VR6 2 weeks ago. It's for my 17yo daughter. Decided on the Jetty over Accord V6, Carry, and couple of other competing models. We already own 2 Honda's. My 2000 Odyssey EX and my son's 1999 Accord V6 EX. My wife drives a 2000 BB E320. I have to say so far the Jetty stacks up pretty well. I know there will be some problems. We have had them with just about every car we've ever owned (The least problems coming from the B.). And both of our Honda's have had some minor problems.

The deciding factors for the Jetty were:
    1. German "road feel" and handling. While the Accord is quick and handles very well, the feedback you get while driving seems to be "translated" to the driver in a very subdued way. With the Jetty, you feel as though you are more directly driving the car. I hope this doesn't sound too "out there".
    2. Price and dealer attitude. Much more bang for our buck with Jetta. Also the Honda dealers in our area (Southern California) are very smug.

I guess we'll find out in the long run if we made the right move, but for now it really is a neat car to drive.
  • Options
    TDI's are very difficult to find in CA and NY also. They are emissions legal in CA and NY, however, they are limited in numbers sold (in CA and NY) due to the way fleet emissions are determined. Only something like 800
    TDI's were sold in CA in 2001. You can buy a TDI out of state and register it in CA or NY. Oddly enough, both states exempt diesel from emissions testing and require emissions testing for gasoline cars.
    The TDI is a unique car with performance comparable to the 2.0 and superior mileage.
    The higher cost of the TDI and frequent timing belt changes on the auto (every 40K) are important factors to be aware of when comparing the TDI to other VW's or other makes.
  • Options
    fpgt93fpgt93 Member Posts: 10
    flaca, I don't think this site is only for Jetta lovers. It is for the discussion of all things pertaining to the Jetta. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the past, when searching for a new car I did not have access to this wealth of information. Car reviews were available, but I now have access to the opinions of people who are looking into buying certain cars as well as owners of those cars. Hearing the comments of hundreds of people who have bought a car you are interested in is very helpful.

I visited this site as well as others looking for comments, good or bad, about this car. I read many useful opinions and ownership experiences, and thought that others might genuinely appreciate reading my thoughts about this car. They may be in the market for a new car and my opinions might help them made a decision.

It certainly was not my intention to complain about the car and hurt anybody's feelings. I don't own one so I have nothing to complain about. Since I am not going to buy a Jetta, I doubt I will have much more to say in this forum. But, I won't hold back my comments simply because you or anyone doesn't like them. I suggest that if you are upset by something someone has written you simply take a deep breath and move on to the next message.
  • Options
    bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    I have found the magic tool for the lint problems!!! It's the Pet Hair and Lint Remover from Simple Solutions and can be found at most pet stores. Their web site is: http://www.bramton.com

It's about the size of a brick and works awesome! We have pets, so our Jetta gets hammered by cat fur and lint and just a few swipes from The Lint Brick (as we call it) and the seats are perfectly clean and presentable. We have used all the others and this one really works great.

As for gas mileage and the use of A/C, I see obmot's comments of riding with the windows down and the facts are that you'll get better milage with the windows UP and the A/C ON than riding with the windows down.

Your aerodynamics get all hosed with the windows down and the A/C's these days don't use all that much energy like they did many years ago. Just a tip for ya there, obmot. ;-)

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
    http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com
  • Options
    balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    Took a trip out to Tucson to help my 89yo grandmother get another safe-sedan as a 16yo tried to beat a redlite and totalled her 93 Olds Cutlass with only 22k miles. A 1 year old car with warranty balance, abs, airbags etc. and some savings on that depreciation factor was important. After driving a new Taurus rental and about a dozen examples of various Century's and Taurus's, (She wanted a Midsize and a shifter on the steering column only), I was electrified as I drove my GLS 1.8t out of the airport parking lot when I flew back to town. I truly realized and appreciated the serious performance I have for my everyday driving. I am trying hard not to drive too crazy or dangerously but this car says drive me that way. It's good to not be ho-hum...
  • Options
    balticjetta18t, I am so sorry you had to be subjected to domestic-car hell. You're probably going to need therapy now...;-)
  • Options
    dealspinnerdealspinner Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. Just leased my wife a 2001 Jetta GLS V6.
    Got it for 500 over invoice. 298 a month with 3500 down. Not a bad deal. They have a promotion going on right now with a pretty good residual. Email me with any quesitions. Looks like the entire economy is slowing down. The guys came in with 500 over invoice very easily. We did the whole thing over the phone.
  • Options
    raf7raf7 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking into buying a new jetta and am not sure what is better, the 1.8t or the vr6. Is the difference in power that great? I'm actually going to test drive a wolfsberg later today I'll let you guys know how that goes.
  • Options
    fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I have a silver 2000 Jetta GLS 1.8T with cd changer, lux pkg, leather, splash guards and front end mask. I'm in the military and about to deploy for three months, then relocating overseas (England) next June. So, even though I love my car to death, I'm thinking about selling it now. Edmunds says a private sale could get $19,000 (I have 15 K miles on it). Do you think I could get that in the Midwest? She's in pristine condition!!

When I get back from Turkey, I can pick up an '88-91 Golf for under one G to drive for 6 mos. until we move to England. The military only pays for shipping one car, and I can again pick up a cheapie there to commute in for three years - then buy a sweet German (or Swedish) car just before we return stateside!! Gotta love that European military sales program!
  • Options
    The 1.8T in the Wolfsburg is pretty nice. If you wait 3 months you can get a 180 HP 1.8T in the 2002 models and a much better warranty. Also the 2002 VR6's are supposed to come with 200 HP and a 6 speed. Obviously that's attractive.

Currently the 2001 WE v. the VR6 you see a few issues. The VR6 has more power than a WE, about 20 more HP officially in the 01 models. But the VR6 is nose heavy and depending on your driving style, the VR6 could become annoying when you corner. My experience with VR6 is not pleasant. On a side note some claimthat the WE 1.8T engine is a AWW Model, thus making somewhere around 160-165 HP. Don't know if it's true. Dynos at vwvortex seem to show the wE sports a more powerful 1.8T than VW admits to.
  • Options
    tszwajkostszwajkos Member Posts: 2
    I have had to replace the rear brakes twice on my 2000 Jetta, 5 speed. The car has 40,000 miles and the front pads have never been replaced. I have been told that soft rear pads are the problem. I think it may be something more serious. The Jetta is an early 2000 model and I was told there was a running change to the rear brakes. Is this true?
  • Options
    tszwajkos: Read the reply on the other thread...It still applies here. Ask your dealer about the TSB regarding the rear brakes.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I am watching mine closely. The disks appear smaller thus greater wear potential. Ridiculous to have to replace twice in 40k. Lots of stopping in city driving I presume.
    INKY
  • Options
    The solution to your problem is to have the rear pads replaced and I recommend Mintex Red Box Brake Pads and new rotors. There is a TSB on the rear pads and I would see if you can work a deal based with your dealer and VWoA for some compensation. Probably will not get any satisfaction as I think the TSB primarily applies to wear within 12K miles and since the brakes are a wear/tear item. Still, you do deserve some compensation as this should never have happened. Since the front brakes do the majority of the braking there is certainly a problem with your brakes being replaced twice w/o replacement of the front pads.
    Have the rotors checked, try the Mintex pads, and make sure the lugs are not being overtightened as this can cause rotor problems. I think the correct amount of torque is somewhere between 80-90lb/ft.
  • Options
    Although the dealer tried to rip me off I really enjoyed the WE. Everything from the thick stearingwheel to the power was great about the car. I really didn't feel like a 4 cyl economy car.

You have to understand where I'm comming from (8cyl firebird with a 5 speed tranny) so I was very impressed by the jetta.

The only thing that I felt a little uneasy about was the clutch. My Firebird has a very stiff clutch and you need a heavy foot to operate it. The dealer told me that since the jetta clutch was hydrolic I would get used to the "light" feeling of it.

Now for the price, he quoted me about 20K for the we without moonroof or any other option which is a bit on the steep side considering the car should only cost about 18 and change.

Man what a great car!!!
  • Options
    Have you tried online pricing. I checked www.carsdirect.com and the price for a WE with Sunroof, Monsoon, and ColdWeather is $19,641.
    $20K for WE with no options is WAY too high.
  • Options
    If you seriously want a WE, list the components you want (only 3 options anway) and then email all the surrounding dealers. I'm sure someone will come through with a very good price. The Internet sales guys make much better no hassle deals than people realize. I got my WE for $200 over invoice a few months back. And I didn't haggle at all. Just a few emails.

Also, try Carsdirect.com. In my area the fully equipped WE goes for 19312, which is less than invoice.
  • Options
    can anyone confirm 17" rims on the jetty only come with summer performance tires. the v. site and edmunds seem to have different info.

thanks
  • Options
    can anyone confirm 17" rims on the jetta only come with summer performance tires. the vw site and edmunds seem to have
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    True, True, True...Sports Lux. PKG. = "powers sunroof, summer performance
    tires, and sport suspension"....

Edmund's also fails to acknowledge Port Prep = $25 & FloorPlan Interest Reserve = $92
    which appears on Every Invoice, for Every Car, for Every Dealer, in Every State in the US.
    Thus rendering their Invoice Price on Every Volkswagen... INVALID!!!!

Go Figure!
  • Options
    So Edmunds is off by a hundred dollars on its invoice prices. You can talk your way outa those port prep fees and floor plan interest reserve. Gotta be tenacious and teach the guys selling you the car who is in charge: the consumer.
  • Options
    I would not go into any store or restaurant and tell the owner or the employees
    how to run their business...I guess I am just old fashioned and have a little class...
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I for one know your dilema. Dealers make very little on new car sales due to this invoice knowledge. Used cars is where some money is. Anyhow, funny how we have no idea what the builder really has in our house, or what walmart pays for Mobil One motor oil or what that new sofa really costs the furniture store--but for cars we want it for invoice. Period. Just a funny observation.
    INKY
  • Options
    Obviously this is true...my point is that because Edmund's is such a valued
    site for consumers; their refusal to acknowledge these fees perplexes me
    greatly...
  • Options
    frowned upon. I personally wouldn't mind if we could haggle over our dinner costs. Or at the supermarket.

As for cars, it's established this area and electronics we can beat the seller down to reach a price we're both happy with. Actually, car negotiating is really the best way to gauge the personal valuation of a product, much as auctions do the same. The seller has a minimum profit/loss he's willing to take and the buyer has a maximum value he places on the desired object. The agreed upon price obviously reflects both parties are satisfied enough to make the transaction. It's beautiful thing, negotiation.

Class? When it comes to business, class has nothing to do with finding products for a price you're happy with. If you're willing to let someone make extra profit off you, then you have personal valuation that may exceed another person's. That doesn't mean you have more class. It may be a sign that you're just less willing to negotiate over $50. To each his own.
  • Options
    Walmart vs Car Sales. 8 people do not go into WalMart and get charged 8 different prices for the same item, yet 8 people can buy the same car with same eqipment and get charged 8 different prices. Some dealers add paint protection/fabric protection that is little more than wax and scotch guard and charge $700, yet I don't buy dish soap at WalMart and find that they have added a wax coating to it and are charging me $.50 extra for it.
    Yep, buying and selling of vehicles is a darn strange business.
    With VWoA it can be stranger than most, called VWoA one week prior to seeing the first 2002 on local dealer lot, asked them what the warranty would be on 2002's and was given story that no details had been finalized. VWoA lied to me.
    VWoA website lists Jetta Wagon TDI's as available in 2002. Local dealer is adamant that there will be no TDI in Jetta Wagon in 2002.
    In Europe you order your VW exactly the way you want it, in USA most dealers of makes other than VW have a large amount of stock and you buy what you want from dealer stock, VW in USA does not allow dealers to order what they want, and the number of cars in stock is very few.
  • Options
    jayjunjayjun Member Posts: 8
    I'd say that if most people knew how much retail was marked up, they would try to haggle. That's how places can have 30-percent off sales and still make a good profit.
    Plus, cars are a very select market. You can't (in most areas) go to ten different places to get the same thing. Usually, especially with WV, there is one choice only. There is really no competition except between models. If you want a specific model, there is a monopoly on that model and the buyer has only one option. For me, I am willing to shop in a 150-mile radius just to find a dealer that's up front and polite. If dealers really wanted to turn the tables and increase their profit margins they would combine and pressure the auto makers to lower their margins. It seems that dealers let auto makers take advantage of them and dictate too much to them. Without dealers, they would have no way to sell their products.
  • Options
    Even though I bought my car in a very low stress manner - via email - I still detest dealerships and all they represent. I'd prefer that each company maintain a showroom where you can test drive the different styles of a model and then order direct. It gets delivered and the repair shops are owned and operated by the manufacturer. I do NOT like the idea of franchises and all the stealing inherent in such a situation.

As mentioned, one VW dealership in an area can use its monopoly to their advantage. Heck there are 5 or six in my area and I don't trust any of them. All claim the suspension kit takes 5-6 hours to install. Thieves.

If the manufacturer ran the repair shops we'd at least get one source responsible. Currently if you have a problem with a franchise VW shrugs it off. If the parent company ran them, they'd be responsible.
  • Options
    skinnypooskinnypoo Member Posts: 20
    i totally disagree with haggling...car buying would be a lot better if every car manufacturer did a no haggle pricing scheme.

all dealers suck....they are middle men...they mark up a vehicle 1-4 grand just for picking up a phone or ordering through a computer...its not like they went out personally and got the car for you then test drove it to make sure all is well...they just sell you what ever they get, and pretend it was an amazing and complicated find, when in reality they always know who has what cause its on the COMPUTER!

and if everyone would just wait a bit and not try to be the first to buy a new model and wait for manufacturing to get up to speed no one would ever pay over sticker.

if you pay over sticker your an idiot...period.

ooh, i feel better now.
    ;)
  • Options
    I only know of the big boys not willing to haggle...BMW, MB, Ferrari. And actually BMW will negotiate if you push.
  • Options
    zmanusafzmanusaf Member Posts: 12
    Hi again folks! I need your VW buying experiance here. I'm going to be a first time VW buyer as some of you may have read from earlier posts I have made. (2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M) The sales person that I have been dealing with called me yesterday, and told me she just got the MSRP price for my Jetta (18,950) up $250 from last year, due to the standard CD player I'm assuming? But this is what I want to know. She told me they add on, a $250 Service charge for inspecting the vehicle and whatever else they do, $299 for installation for the Heater (oil pan), (something they do here in Alaska), and $398 for fees. I called the VW service department, and asked on the Heater. They said $167.25 for parts and labor. So I know she tacked on extra there. I'm assuming the $250 so- called "Service Charge" is something the Holdback is paid to them for correct? So I could basically subtract that $250 because that is all extra? And as far as the Liscense and Doc fees, does $398 sound about right? I have never bought a "new" car, only used, and have never paid over $100 for fees. She told me that the basic (no options) Jetta GLS TDI 5M, would come to $20,447. With my calculations of giving a 3.5% profit, subtracting the 2% holdback, asking around $18,700-18,800 sounds like a fair deal does it not? Please let me know your opinions! Z-man
  • Options
    Probably the only person on here that can answer that for you will be VWGuild. You might scroll up to post #2038, get his email addy and email your question directly to him. Or at least alert him of your question here.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
  • Options
    Just a couple of observations...The increase in the Base Price is 1.3% up from
    2001...There was no increase in Base Price in 2001 from 2000...Additionally,
    for 2002 there is No Increase on any of the options...Lux. PKG., etc.

I have never heard of a $250 *Service Fee*...The PDI(Pre-Delivery Inspection) is
    paid for by VWOA...It is done by EFT or Electronic Funds transfer to the Parts Dept.

Being in Calif. the Heater is an issue that I am totally unfamiliar with, but it sounds
    like it would probably be a better idea to simply take the car as is, and have the
    Service Dept. take care of it before Winter or late Fall.

Registration Fees very from State to State...A call to your local DMV office will get
    you the correct answer concerning that issue. Document Fees are set by each dealer..
    For example, we charge $45 to process all of the DMV paperwork for our customers. When
    a customer drives their new car home it has a valid Calif. Reg., and the Plates and &
    paperwork are sent directly to their home...Other dealers charge $100...it all depends on
    the store...

It would probably be in your best interest to make calls to Fairbanks VW and Evergreen
    in Juneau, and tell them what you are looking for, and get some feedback...a little
    competition will assist you in getting a level playing field even though the geopraphical
    differences are substantial...you will only have to make the trip once, or not all, if Eero
    makes you a more acceptable offer...

Hope this has been helpful...
  • Options
    blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    hey people, ive been away for a week and my grandmother has been drving my car and while away the car now has 5160 miles on it and the service is on Wednesday. Does it matter that I have more than 5000 miles on it? Will it effect the "free" aspect of the service? Also regarding the whole oil issue, if I want to give them my own Mobil 1 synthetic oil, what do i exactly do? Just tell them to use that? also, how much oil do I need to give them? Would a case be enough?
  • Options
    Having 5160 miles will have no effect on your service at all. If you want them to use Mobil 1 just buy it at Wal-Mart/Kmart/discount store and let your service manager that you want them to use that oil.

Your engine takes just under 5 quarts.
  • Options
    Thanks VWGuild for your response! It is very helpful indeed. I made a call to Fairbanks yesterday, but they haven't called me back yet. And I will make call to the DMV Monday. Thanks!
    Z-man
  • Options
    No problem...keep us posted...
  • Options
    Well, I talked to the Fairbanks dealership today, and they were so much more helpful and friendly. They charge $100 less for License and Doc fees, and no other charges. They do charge $495 to winterize all thier vehicles they get which is an automatic thing they do, due to the colder weather up there, but she said it was optional, only if specified by the buyer before hand. Also, which was really great, she told me being that the vehicles come into port here at Anchorage, I would be able to get the car here, and even with my trade-in, I would be able to do that through the local dealership here. So I wouldn't have to make the 7 hour drive to do all this. And was told they are willing to compormise on a price. I found out today that the dealership here has a policy where the customer pays sticker price on a new vehicle. So looks like I will be giving Fairbanks my business. Again, I thank you for suggesting to call. I would have never done it, due to the long distance I would have had to travel. Z-man
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Please email me privately about who you talked to at the Fairbanks dealer. I can give you some tips on dealing with them since I used to work there and have bought 4 cars from them. My email address is akangl@aol.com