Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Really, guys, let's not dog the 2.0 - it's actually a very fine engine. Just because it's technology is older doesn't mean it's no good. Actually, given two engines with the same output, I'll take 2 valves per cyl. over 4 valves any day - less moving parts. A while ago I described a series of calculations a guy gave me that took HP, torque, rpm and weight into consideration. And after crunching the numbers, the VW 2.0 is a more usable engine than the Ford zetec! Yes, it's true. We're talking about usable torque, acceleration here. Oh, and always with manual transmission.

I drove the 2.0 for 5 months (then car got totalled) and with all the money from insurance, I could afford the 1.8T. Awesome engine! Vocus, it has a LOW PRESSURE turbo, very different than say Porsche torbos of the '80's. Most will agree they're lifetime will be very respectable. Besides, it's covered under the 10/100,000 warr. anyway.

I think wonderwall was kidding about the new Mazda Pro using the VW engine - I got it - good one!!
  • Options
    pkoornpkoorn Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to relay this information in hopes to get feedback on my 99 Jetta GLS. On 11/4/00 I came back to my home after leaving my car for three hours parked on the street, from the market to a closed street and a fire truck hosing off the front end of my Jetta. Keeping this posting short. I just found out the problem was the battery in the car had malfunctioned a caused the fire. VW headquarters was involved in this investegation. They have claimed 0% responsibility to this problem. the car is a year old with 22,500 miles on it. They claim it is due to non-maintenance on the battery, which they claim needs to be service every oil change. Roughly 3,000 to 4,000 miles. The service book that came with my car says every 20,000 miles. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with Jettas? or with any car? Is VW in the right to not just give me another car? Any help with this situation before it is made public would be greatful.. thanks in advance

Philip
  • Options
    bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    Have not heard of that one for sure! Wow! So sorry to hear of that.

My 2K1 maintenance schedule does not mention anything concerning the battery until 20K. Even the "in-between" service checks do not mention the battery.

Did the 99's have the free 24K servicing that my 2K1 has? If so, then the dealer servicing the vehicle is liable. And even then it just says to check electrolyte levels. Surely nothing that would cause a fire!

You definitely need to pursue this one much, much further than what VW is telling you now. Get your insurance company to back you too.

If that doesn't get some results then getting a lawyer and dealing with a whole bunch of acronym-agencies, i.e., NHTSA, CPSC, etc. will be your next step.
  • Options
    Multi-valve technology is *not* new. Not even. It's almost as old as the combustion engine itself! Invented some 70-80 years ago!

And the VW 2.0 is a hardy little engine, a proven workhorse and has an awesome powerband. The 1991 Honda Accord I traded in had 10 more horsepower than my 2.0, but is no match. Not even close.

But, I didn't buy this car for racing. If I had, I would have opted for the 1.8T without a doubt.
  • Options
    gladicheckedgladichecked Member Posts: 93
    I had a fire start in my old Rabbit that was caused by the battery. I had the battery replaced and the auto place that replaced it put the wrong size in. It was touching the inside of the hood and caught the insulation on fire. Pulled into work and saw flames coming out of my hood...lol. Had to run into work and grab a co2 extinguisher FAST!

Doesn't VW use maintenance free batteries? Talk about old technology.

The 2001 Mazda Protege ES will have a 2.0L I4 with 130hp designed and built by MAZDA. The Protege will go to the Focus platform in 2004 (originally scheduled for 2002). They will also offer a limited edition Protege MPS with a 2.0L I4 turning out 150hp.

Vocus...will you be able to resist the MPS? ;^)
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "it's better than any engine honda makes as far as drivability goes"

This has to be one of the most ignorant statements I read in these forums. Geez.

Had my Jetta for a week now and I still think it's an awesome car.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    that the 2.0 VW engine is not a rugged little engine, but I am just saying that it only puts out 115 hp and 122 torque, yet only manages low 30's on the highway? The 1.8t get the same MPGs, yet much more power.

As I have always said, much to many folks dismay, if they would drop the 1.8t or even the TDi in the Cabrio, I would be the FIRST one to snatch one up! Heck - I would pay MSRP for it...;) But as it is with the 2.0, it just can't compete with the Miata except that is has more usable space.
  • Options
    wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    how is that an ignorant statement? in my experience honda engines have no life unless you flog the heck out of them. the vw 2.0 liter has good low end pull, and you can't deny that honda engines are lacking in that department. the v-tec engines are especially ridiculous.
  • Options
    comparing FOUR cylinder engines, I agree, especially with an automatic, even the base 2.0 in the VW FEELS like it moves with less fuss than the Vtec Civic engines....

Now - the V6 in the CL and Accords is nice...:)
  • Options
    I had a '94 Accord with 2.3L 4-cyl. and it's peak torque came at such high revs you DID have to flog the hell out of it to get it to go. The VW 2.0 has torque down low, which is more important at take off than HP. So, I like the VW 4-cyl. better than the Honda, too, venus.
  • Options
    jules78jules78 Member Posts: 3
    I am still waiting for my 2001 Jetta GLS ordered on Aug 9th. I've been getting the run around the whole time. My car came in today but now the dealer wantes me to pay an extra $150 for front and rear side airbags that are standard on the 2001 but were not when I originally ordered. Can they do this? Anyone else have a similar problem?
  • Options
    The 4 cylinder engines in the Civic and even the Integra could use more low end torque (especially if you have an automatic). But the 4 cylinder engines in the current Accords are a different story. They will out accelerate VWs 2.0L in any kind of situation despite pulling a heavier car. The VTEC in the Accord engines are designed for a broad torque cure. Not that it (4 cylinder version) matches VWs 1.8t engine's low end torque. The 2.3L VTEC for the Prelude has an excellent combination of good low end torque and high end power. It's too bad this unheralded engine is stuck in such an impractical car. They should make this engine available as an option for the Accord Coupe.

I do love the torque cure in my VR6. Coming from my Accord V6, I'm glad I spent the extra money to stay with a V6 engine for my Jetta. I thought the 1.8t was too buzzy out on the highway when going 70+ mph.

fischda: the 94 Accords didn't have a 2.3L engine, but a 2.2L. You're right though, it needed more low end power.
  • Options
    What your dealer is wanting you to pay for are the full side curtain airbags *and* the multi-funtion steering wheel that's coming out on all the new builds. And yes he can do it, but you don't have to pay it! ;-)

Still though, I stand hard-fast on that one and make them eat it. It's not your fault you got one of the latest builds. He could have checked that status long ago and hit you up then for the extra $150 that he DOES have to pay for the car.
  • Options
    Thanks for the correction on the Honda engine. I've never driven Honda's V6, but I really liked the VR6. I opted for the 1.8T though for three reasons. 1) front end felt lighter than w/VR6; 2) gas milage; and 3) chip-able to around 200 bhp and torque. I recently took a long road trip, and I cruised at 80-85 mph. The noise was not bad at all! Quite the comfortable ride.
  • Options
    baronsdaddybaronsdaddy Member Posts: 20
    I just bought an '01 Jetta GLS 1.8 5 speed. Traded my 92 Camry with 166K on it....I've owned nothing but Toyotas for years, but with their "lackluster" selection, I went for the VW. I paid 20,811...leather, 'roof, alloys, monsoon, and multi-funct steering wheel...Do you feel this was a good deal? They wanted 695. for the CD chgr...what about the Panasonic from C'field? I'm in High POint/Greensboro, NC....but bought the car in Raleigh....by passing 4 dealers on the way...and another thing....how realiable is the turbo?
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome to the club!! Yes, that's an excellent price and yes, Toyota has a lackluster selection. Oh...That wasn't a question! ;-)

Yikes! $695 for a changer!!! Does your dealer provide vaseline with that? Get the Panasonic. It's the same changer for a ton less $$$.

As for reliability...Seems like there's a longterm test drive thing here at Edmunds.com, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    I've been reluctant to mate the 1.8T with an automatic, because of turbo-lag concerns, but I now think I'll probably go in that direction (thanks to the worsening Bay Area traffic jams that make a clutch rather tiresome). I'm going to test drive the 1.8T with an automatic tomorrow. I absolutely loved the manual transmission 1.8T I drove last week...
  • Options
    What color ext./int.? Yes, you got a very good deal. I paid 21,000 for mine same equipment, except no monsoon, and mine included cd changer for $350. Try and talk 'em down on the changer, if not, go with P-sonic. As it's been said before, this turbo is low-pressure and should be very reliable. Check www.vwvortex.com for more thechy info. Besides, with a 10/100K warranty covering it, why worry?
  • Options
    lochslochs Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to add more on the CD Changer. I have a 99 Jetta V6 and we purchased the 6 disk Panasonic thru C'field's for a total of $250-260. A friend of mine did the same. Excellent quality, took 5-10 minutes to install, and you can't beat the price.
  • Options
    I drove another Jetta and when I turned on the radio i noticed the MONSOON name appeared, however I realized then mine doesn't have the monsoon. Anyway, can I still add the P'sonic Changer? The dealer didn't have Vaseline or a kiss ready when I was ABOUT to pay 695. for their changer they stated that I could have it at "cost" which was 450.00.....I said, "Who's cost?" definately not wholesale. Decline!!! However I am really pleased with the ride, comfort and I hope no one wants to ride in the back seat unless they are a fetus or someone I just don't like.
  • Options
    Now you tell me about it. Well, it's only money.
  • Options
    Pretty sure you can, baronsdaddy. Go to Crutchfield.com and send them email detailing your car. They'll email ya back with what you need.

Venus: One advantage you have is that your changer is covered by your VW warranty. All things considered, you didn't pay all *that* much more than a Panasonic and the required adapter.
  • Options
    i bought the 8 disc changer and adapter....total 269....thanks again!
  • Options
    I am picking up my new Jetta tommorow and I am very excited. I didn't have to pay for the side curtain airbags afterall. I fought to get the price that the dealer agreed upon in August - and it worked. I can't wait to take it out for a ride tomorrow after work!
  • Options
    silverbeautysilverbeauty Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to thank everyone who's ever posted anything on the Jetta forum because I just bought my first car this weekend....and it was a 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0. Because of all of the problems that people reported, I feel like I know pretty much what I am getting into and I won't freak out so much if something ends up going wrong with my car. I also feel like I got the best deal for my money and that I am going to have many wonderful years of driving my baby around. I know that my fellow co-workers (we're all mechanical engineers) will respect my Jetta for the fine piece of machinery that it is! Buying my car definitely ranks as one of the top experiences in my life so thank you to everyone for helping me make the right decision! :)

-Lisa
  • Options
    congrats! you won't have any problems....just fun.
  • Options
    Congrats to you both!! Happy to help. Lisa's got that infamous VW perma-smile now! Takes some time to wear off. Jules78 starts the perma-smile tomorrow.

Mine still isn't totally worn off after 2 1/2 months! Check out the new window tinting:

http://www.members.home.net/2k1bluejetta/index.html

By all means have fun and: Drive it like ya stole it! :)))
  • Options
    And some say people only come here to air their woes... Well, my silver 1.8T is error free at 7,000 miles, and I still smile all the time. My friends here at school fight over the front passenger seat because of the awesome butt warmer it has! And just Saturday, I drove 60 miles into the country just to listen to some new CDs in the changer :)

Congrats to you new owners!! Say, wouldn't it be fun to have a Jetta rally with people in this forum? We could have it in DC!
  • Options
    Fischda- My vote is to have the "Love Fest" in Boston! :)
  • Options
    DC is the way too go! Can I borrow yours until I am back in the VW family? ;)
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I would love to be a part of the DC party. :) Hell, I would even go and try to rent a Jetta just to be included. :)
  • Options
    attn new Jetta owners:

Do you find that the brakes are "grabby"? They work well, but mine always seemed touchy....takes some getting used to..just like the pause between D and R and P and R and D in the automatic....
  • Options
    jwink1jwink1 Member Posts: 17
    The Jetta has pretty large front discs, so the brakes may feel grabby, but that's a good thing! after a while they wiil probably smooth out. After you come to a complete stop, let up on the brakes a bit, it will help keep the discs smooth and less prone to warping.
  • Options
    coolcarcoolcar Member Posts: 2
    I only have 300 miles on my Jetta. Haven't noticed the brakes being grabby. They seem smooth and really slow me in a hurry (which I'm finding that I do quite often.) I agree though, with the transmission and the lag there. I'll get used to it.

I'm enjoying the discussion and love the new Jetta. I find myself going to get a milk quite a bit and taking the long way home.

I am having a problem getting used to the adaptive transmission though. I don't really know when it's going to shift. Any ideas on how I should be accelerating so I can get the most from the transmission?
  • Options
    So Justin and Vocus are in...and they don't currently drive Jettas. Now there's a promotion! Maybe it should be in middle America so more people can get there - like my backyard. COuld hold the rally on the old flight line next to the Air Force Museum in Dayton!!

Oh, and I love the strong brakes. Once you figure out the right pedal pressure, they really rock!
  • Options
    sjuhawkssjuhawks Member Posts: 13
    Hey guys, just checking in I haven't written in a while. Just updating anyone that cares that my 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 is running great at about 11,000 miles. No problems to date (knock on wood), it is a great car. It's getting cold here in Philly and man do those seat warmers help! If you're considering a Jetta, go for it, it is a great car!
  • Options
    It took me awhile to get used to the VW brakes coming from a Honda. I would not classify them as grabby though. It just takes a bit to get used to the lesser foot pressure applied to get them to work.

Actually, that was one of the features that 'grabbed' my attention during the test drive! ;-) The brakes were awesome!!

Good thing we left with the Jetta, cause I woulda crashed the Honda after getting using the Jetta brakes!! Takes a bit of adjustment going from the Jetta (on the weekends) to my Ford Ranger (work truck).

Tye adaptive auto tranny also took some getting used to, but here's a little trick from the boys and girls over in Vortex land:

This technique is described in the Bentley manual for 1999, 2000 Jetta, Golf, GTI on page 37-2, except slightly different method. It says a scan tool or the following can be used to "Restore Basic Settings":
    1. "Switch on the ignition but do not start the engine."
    2. "Push the accelerator all the way to the floor and hold it there for a minimum of 5 seconds."
    3. "Release the accelerator pedal and switch off the ignition."

------------

Some also refer to this as putting the Jetta tranny in the 'sport mode'. I tried it and it does work.

The tranny adapts to your driving methods, but it's attempting to give the best gas mileage, which means if you want performance, reset that sucker. Anyway, it's something to play around with.

Oh...we need the Jetta Rally to be held in the Northwest...The "other" Washington! ;-)))

-Jim
    Vancouver, WA
  • Options
    far superior to most japanese brakes in performance, that's for sure. that was the first thing i noticed when driving my jetta, how much better the brakes were than in my mazda or toyota (of course the worst brakes i ever have used were in my first volkswagen, 1969 beetle with drum brakes on all four wheels- had to think about a week in advance when you wanted to brake). also,my brakes are more than fine at 41,000 miles, which in my mazda and especially my toyota (which devoured brakes) they had already needed to be replaced. of course, the price i pay for vw brakes is consistantly dirty wheels.
  • Options
    I know what you mean about brakes. My 1999 Protege had to have the brakes replaced at 27,000 miles, which I thought was unusual as well. Next time around, I have to more carefully consider a VW (probably a Golf) because I am having some serious buyer's remorse right now!! :)
  • Options
    dude, the protege is good looking little car. i like it better than the mk4 jetta in certain colors. although i cannot talk, because i have some buyers remorse over getting a jetta instead of a golf.

i am advising two people now who are looking at cars (my fiancee and my neighbor) to buy protege's. just be glad you didn't buy a honda/toyota toaster oven car.

by the way, 27,000 miles to replace brakes on a japanese car is not unusual. if you had a honda it would be earlier.
  • Options
    jwink1jwink1 Member Posts: 17
    Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    By all means, Happy Thanksgiving to all!!! Been fun getting to "meet" you all here.

Thanksgiving day hint: If yer goin' to Gramma's for Thanksgiving and you're assigned to "bring the rolls", just put them in the passeneger seat and turn it up to '5'. They will be nice and toasty when you arrive!! :)))

Be safe and: Drive it like ya stole it!!!
  • Options
    you definitely wouldn't need to change your brakes at 27,000 miles. None of my Hondas needed their brakes replaced while I was driving them. Like others however, I've been disappointed in Hondas styling of late. Take the new Integra, it looks it's going to be an excellent vehicle in terms of engineering and performance. But the spy photos of the car aren't too impressive. The Sentra and Protege are toaster oven cars too, they just won't hold up as well Hondas and Toyotas.
  • Options
    tgilettotgiletto Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate any comments on this choice. I could chip either and get to about 180 to 190 hp depending on which chip you purchase. In a GLS trim the price difference is about $500 (VR6 costs more). Turbo cool-down time is a disadvantage for the 1.8T.

Has anyone test driven the stock versions of each?

Which would you purchase and why?
  • Options
    Then you definitely want the 1.8T. It is much more tweakable than the VR6. Unless you are racing or an absolute madman/woman on the road, turbo cool-down time is a non-issue, though some people do purchase turbo-timers that automatically cool down the turbo for you.

The 1.8T engine is the same basic engine that is used in the Audi TT, so getting to 190-200+ horsies in it does not take a rocket scientist, or a ton of money.

If you wanna read a VW tuners forum, go to vwvortex.com. There's a ton of tuners and generally knowledgable VW people there that will probably answer just about any question you could come up with regarding Volkswagens. Oh..they cover Audi there too.
  • Options
    cbottcbott Member Posts: 10
    Just wanted to see if anyone else has this "Problem". I love the seat warmers on my new 1.8T but it seems unless you have it on the 5 setting, it's not really warm. Perhaps I have a problem or is this normal. Still waiting on getting the CD Changer till after Christmas!! Best to all.

CB
  • Options
    I test drove a Golf GLS2.0 5-door yesterday and fell in love with it! It was pretty quick (compared to the Protege 1.6 I have now) and comfortable as well. Then came the bad news... I am like $4000 upside down on my 1999 Protege because it has 32K on it. Oh well, guess I will have to wait to get my Golf.

With the seat heaters, they should heat right up and you should feel it. I did feel these last night. I had to turn it down to 1 to keep the heat off my butt.

Loved the acceleration and handling as well. And the blue instruments are to die for. Anyone wanna contribute $4000 to a REALLY good cause for the Holidays?? :) Just kidding.
  • Options
    Some people have had the same complaint and it's really hard to tell if it's just an "opinion" of what one person considers warm or what.

In my car, my wife says the passenger side takes awhile to get warm. Personally, I think it warms up just fine as does the driver side. I can't tell any difference.

When we use ours, we set them to 4-5 and then back off to 1-2 after about 2-4 minutes or so. And unless we're playing 'freeze'out', I turn mine off once the car warms up and my wife will turn her's off some time later.
  • Options
    nouli33nouli33 Member Posts: 6
    Since I am not VW savvy, I wanted to ask those who
    are in the VW Club if you have a preference of the
    Passat GLX vs the Jetta GLX. I currently have a
    98 Maxima SE 5-speed and am looking for a change.

I like power, and I like 5-speeds. The only space
    constraint I have is for my two dogs - a 70lb Lab,
    and a 60lb Vizsla. They have to ride - 1 per
    window in the back seat. The prices I have from my dealer are great - at cost. $2900 separate the
    two (the Jetta has the 17" alloy sport package on
    top).

I am eager to hear from those who know. I have
    owned Nissan's for the last 10 years. I have heard good things about German cars. Was going for an Audi until I realized that VW's are also great cars for less money.

Thanks!