Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    I definitely recommend the Passat. The Jetta is a smaller version of the Passat and the back seat room is pretty tight. Too tight for those two dogs, IMO.

Also, FYI, the Passat is a Volkswagen version of the Audi A4, but without all those circles on the front grille. ;-)))
  • Options
    nouli33nouli33 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks!

Would you be at all reserved in choosing a Passat for horsepower? Do you feel the car has muscle? The Maxima (which I certainly do not portend to be better!) feels like it has muscle (or I am just used to the car). It does possess an additional 30 horses. The Maxima did not have the best low end torque though. Higher RPM's and the car would fly.

I am sure that muscle is in the eye of the beholder, but am interested if you think the car is "fast" to drive, when you want it.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    bluejetta,

Meant to add, hard to believe you pay about 3K a piece for each of those circles!!!

I'll take the straight slanted lines any day!

I know that Audi makes great cars, just kidding. I'll just take the better buy.
  • Options
    bluejetta,

Meant to add, hard to believe you pay about 3K a piece for each of those circles!!!

I'll take the straight slanted lines any day!

I know that Audi makes great cars, just kidding. I'll just take the better buy.
  • Options
    I have never driven one, so I can only go by specs and guess...At 190hp for the V6, I'd say power and speed would not be an issue when you need it...Or want it.

It's a very nice car.

Best thing is to get out and do some test driving.
  • Options
    smecesmece Member Posts: 6
    i'm about to get a new jetta GLS, and was wondering about spoilers. i only see a rear spoiler under options, but what about the front one? or did i not see it right on the jetta i saw the other day. also, what exactly is "dealer installed option"?
    thanks

smece
  • Options
    I would suggest getting an aftermarket spoiler. It will be much cheaper than from the dealer.

"Dealer installed option" means you're going to spend a whole bunch of money to pay for that installation. Avoid those options that you can, and (again) purchase all your goodies after you leave the showroon floor.
  • Options
    yeej67yeej67 Member Posts: 10
    I have the 2000 GLS and would like to swap the driver and passenger seat cushions. I'm not talking about the whole seat which would be impossible because of the air-bag location but just the seat cushions themselves. The driver's side is real soft compared to the passenger side which is just perfect. The service manager won't do anything about this because he says there's nothing wrong with the seat. Does anyone have any ideas. Would any independent shop be able to do something like this. I looked at the seats and I don't think I know how it's done. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
  • Options
    If you are going to take on a task like that, you need the Bentley manual. There are many sites that sell them — Here is one:

http://www.autotech.com/books.htm
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    your 98 Max only has 190 HP as well....the new Max's are 222, but then you have to deal with the way the car looks.....

The Passat is one of the most beautiful designs out there....it will wear extremely well, and the interior is great too. Plus - the new one out next year is not too much different.....

I say go for the Passat and don't look back. ;) The Jetta is great, but if you want room, you would need to buy two of them ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice!

I just got back from the dealership in my beautiful G-blue/tan 5-speed Passat GLX. To say it is a really nice car is an understatement. It has plenty of power. My concern has quickly been put to rest (not to mention the VW gearbox is superior to the Max). It is a FUN car to drive!

The Jetta just felt too small. The Passat has a nice amount of room, without feeling like a "boat" It feels like a sporty car that is just the right size - flexible small/flexible big. I am really happy with my choice. I also opted for a 5yr 72K extended warranty to protect against anything going wrong with it for a long while. So I am really happy with the buy, and have the peace of mind for knowing that I will not have to pay for any repairs - no matter how finicky the problem.

Off for another spin! Thanks again.
  • Options
    Great choice! ;-) The Passat will definitely fit your needs and you'll have a lot of fun with this car for years to come.

Congrats!!
  • Options
    jwink1jwink1 Member Posts: 17
    I drove the 1.8t and found it to be a very nice engine, it felt fast, probably due to the higher revs. I took the VR6 because I wanted all the GLX stuff plus the torque. I don't think the 1.8t is a bad choice at all. As far as the Passat vs Jetta, I think it comes down to size for the money. I also thought the VR6 would be more fun in the smaller car. Either way you win, eh?
  • Options
    jettahelpjettahelp Member Posts: 1
    Does the 2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T require premium gasoline? If not required, is it recommended? I keep getting mixed answers.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
  • Options
    fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    yes, it needs premium. owner's manual says so. it's to keep the turbo clean and running well.
  • Options
    saab340saab340 Member Posts: 1
    Yes you need to use premium because with the turbo you risk detonation with a lower octane fuel. The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns to help prevent detonation in general terms.
  • Options
    sacherelsacherel Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I am seriously considering purchasing a Jetta GLS with the 1.8t engine. Included in this I would like the options of the Leather Package and the Sports Luxury Package, using the tools on Edmunds website, I calculated the using the invoice prices the vehicle cost to be:
    $17,486 - Invoice of car
    + $ 929 - Leather Package
    + $ 1,788 - Sports Package
    + $ 525 - Destination Fee
    + $ 384 - Dealers 2% Fee of MSRP
    So Total = $20 313

Is this a fair amount I should offer to my dealer, or should I pay less on the Dealer's fee.
    Thank you for your help
  • Options
    malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    I have a letter from my friend who just bought a used Jetta. i asked you before about her warning lights and you guys were so helpful that she asked me to post her question here. Here's her question:

okay,

I have a standard VR-6 GLX. I shift my car into 3rd, and slowly approach the speed of 40 mi/hr. Once I reach that approximate speed, I get a vibration under the hood that steadily grows louder. However, at the higher speeds (tach at about 3500), it is not as noticeable. When I begin to reduce speed, the speed steadily decreases, as well as the RPM's (the fluctuate with my downshifting, completely normal). However, the vibration noise remains loud until I am back around 30. When I put my clutch in, indicating a neutral gear, the tach does go down to idle, 800 - 900 RPMS. The engine purrs like a kitten in neutral. It doesn't appear to be an engine issue.

ANy ideas?
    A very sad new VW owner.

Any suggestions you can give will be greatly appreciated! Thx! :-)
  • Options
    lemonincolemoninco Member Posts: 1
    I leased a 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 automatic in March of 2000. I have had nothing but problems with this car. The oil indicator light keeps coming on sporadically and the transmission had to be replaced when the car had 5400 miles on it. The oil light came on the first day I picked up my new car and it has been "fixed/replaced" 4 times and on 11/19 it came on for the fifth time. The transmission is still causing me problems, the gears still slip and there is a "whining" noise around 40 mph. The customer service I have received is terrible. VW keeps telling me that the car is running at manufactures standards and that I am hearing things. I have opened a case number with VW of America in Michigan to have the car repurchased or replaced and they keep telling me that the only thing they will do is keep repairing it under the warranty.

This is the 3rd VW I have owned and the last. Based on the customer service that I have received, I will never buy another VW and I am telling my friends and family to never buy one! I am also consulting an attorney to resolve this issue to my satisfaction. So, to all you VW owners out, hope you never have any problems with your cars, because if you do VW of America is very unsympathetic!!
  • Options
    hmmm i had a 99 GLS VR6 automatic. It made a SLIGHT whirring noise around 35-40.....it was fine. Completely normal. Sounds like your dealer and service dept screwed you over by replacing things. Once you take a car apart that much - it is never the same. I asked my mfgr rep about it and he said they could replace it to appease me, but that the noise would still be there. I test drove another just like mine - it did the same thing. All automatics these days behave erratically sometimes in my opinion. We confuse the fuzzy logic computers and they don't know what do to. Same with my 2001 Pathfinder...

I agree - VW of America sucks unless you hound them.
  • Options
    malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Forgot to mention hers is a 98 Jetta not a 2000. :-)
  • Options
    Your calculations are off. With your numbers, the total is 21,112 not 20,313. Also, you don't seem to understand the 2% of MSRP - that's the dealer holdback (go back and read up on it), and while some dealers may bargain on it, assuming the car has not spent time on their lot, most do not.

But don't even worry about holdback. The actual invoice price of your car is 20,728, but that doesn't include TTL and other dealer fees such as advertising costs and prep - you'll need to discuss these with your dealer. Then the dealer will want some mark up.

I suggest you start by getting some quotes via www.stoneage.com You get a listing of dealers, and either email or phone quotes. Then work with the internet sales managers at the dealers. Depending on where you live, you'll see these other fees on the dealer's invoice. They may deal on those or not. First agree on what the "true invoice price" is. In other words, after you've negotiated on those other fees. Then agree on a price "over invoice." I bought my 1.8T for $400 over invoice. I'm predicting you should land somewhere in the ballpark of 21,400, again depending on your area. Shop around for price and availability, then come back here.

We have all learned from our buying experiences so you should get some good advice. Also, VW salespeople troll this forum...
  • Options
    Thank you fischda for your help, I certainly will consult the website provided and let you know how I went. Thanks again.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You have a 2001 Pathfinder now?? What's going on? I thought you wrote that, but am I losing it?? :)
  • Options
    yep - I have had a 2001 Pathfinder since the end of July. That is one of the reasons why I could not justify paying for the Jetta anymore and went el cheapo with the Hyundai.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    For some reason, I thought you were a single 20-something Gen-Xer. I am starting to see evidence that my theory was wrong...
  • Options
    27. Not married. Just ran into a little money to put down on the Pathfinder. Long story....;)
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Did you "cruise" the message boards before(when you owned your other VW's).

Or did you you find the message board after you started experiencing problems.

I'm trying to figure out how many people are normally here "chatting" and then all of a sudden develop problems, or if the form is an outlet for people with problems.
  • Options
    arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    You are witnessing the great Edmunds complaint forum! Don't get me wrong, I love this place and am here daily. However, if you read the forums here in detail you would swear that there is not a manufacturer on Earth who can make a single good car. The VW forum is not unique. People complain about Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Ford, GM, Chrysler (well that is a given), and all the others. You just have to remember, for everyone person who has bad luck with a car, there are tens of thousands of happy customers.
  • Options
    European Car magazine did a comparison of the 1.8 vs VR6(which I have) a few months ago, I don't know which issue though. There was a letter in this month's issue referring to it, the verdict being the 1.8t is pretty darn good and more tuner friendly, FYI
    By the way, I am an ecstatic customer!
  • Options
    platinum22platinum22 Member Posts: 6
    my family is interested in purchasing a 2000 vw jetta glx with 4500 miles on it. they want 22500 for it. i say "good deal" for all the great stuff it has to offer. how are the new jettas for reliability? i'd like to hear from current owners. thanx :)
  • Options
    That is too much for a used VW Jetta of any kind of mileage.

It will be reliable unless it has been crashed or abused by someone.
  • Options
    also, they said the invoice was 21,500, which i believe is a crock of $hit. its in beautiful condition, all panels look original (same paint quality, look and feel), it was a demo, but it was titled, which puts it in the used car category.
  • Options
    Find someone who has access to the current "Black Book" and see what the wholesale auction price is.
    22500 seems high, it's probably 2001 invoice.
  • Options
    Seriously - you could go out right now and get a Jetta GLX (2000 model) BRAND NEW for invoice....

I don't trust demo cars at all. All the slimy sales people and idiot test drivers have dogged that car, you just know it!!
  • Options
    i'm looking into dodge status also, the R/T model. seems like a nice car. gotta give the reviews a good look though.
  • Options
    stratus****
  • Options
    Do not do the Dodge Status/Cirrus. I have yet to hear ONE good thing about them, except for price and financing through DC.
  • Options
    redline21redline21 Member Posts: 3
    On Halloween got a Silver 01'GLS 1.8T lux pack, cold weather pack, manual. Of course, love it. Wanted to say thanks for everyone posting, been looking here while I was shopping, and it's been a great help. Tough to walk into a dealership without knowing squat. Since what's been going on with everyone's car seems to be relevant, here's a couple things I've noticed...a slight rattle from the plastic cover for the instrument cluster, nothing bad, just enough to annoy after a while. Only real concern I have, and wondering if anyone else has noticed this?...having a manual trans. in neutral if clutch full depressed engine sounds fine, clutch all the way out and it makes a faint knock(almost sounds like a distant helicopter). Also has anyone noticed high idling at certain times? Sometimes on startup it will be at 12k (normally 7k). At first I though it had to do with cold weather, but seemed to happen mid day also at times. I'm taking it in on monday to have them check these out, I'll post what they come up with in case anyone else has the same. And Bluejetta, thanks for a couple emails you answered, also noticed you put a drop in K n N filter. What kind of gains if any did you notice? I was thinking about that myself.
  • Options
    I have the same car, but 2000! No problems at all. The plastic window over your instruments is what rattling, most likely. Happened in my Toyota, and I proved it to dealer - they replaced. As for the engine noise, it always idles high for a minute or two when cold. That's normal. It also sounds a little "knocky" to me too at startup, but then purrs when warm. Normal again. That may be what your hearing and the clutch may have nothing to do with it. Even so, the engine should sound smooth when warm. Let us know what the dealer says, but I have a good idea they won't do anything. How do you like them heated seats?!!
  • Options
    idiot01idiot01 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, definitely a strange situation.

I just got a 2001 Jetta GL, and soon after made the unfortunate discovery that it absolutely destroys my back. I have tried every thing I can think of (different seat positions, all types of back/seat pillows) to no avail. I had some back problems in the past, but nothing like this and nothing that I noticed during my test drives.

Clearly, I'm screwed and feel like a big fool (hence my username). But, the situation is this: I can't keep the car and I know I'm going to take a $$ hit.

Any suggestions on how not to lose millions in the process? (Or is that a foregone conclusion?)

The first choice, obviously, is the dealer, but there may be some problems there. Any other options?

Thanx
  • Options
    It's hard to say if there is a difference, the engine is getting broke-in, or it's all in my head. So, obviously, the change is subtle, as I expected it to be.

Nice thing about these filters is that I only have to clean it once -- maybe twice -- the entire time I own the car, so that's a savings.

The tuners say that it is more noticeable on the 1.8T's, being more of a performance engine and all.

I got mine for $32 with a coupon from carparts.com. I priced it locally, and they wanted $65 for it!!!

And, you're welcome, redline, on the emails. Always willing to help a fellow dubber! ;-)))
  • Options
    Bummer! Sorry to hear that...Don't feel bad about the nick...Looks like at least one person beat you to it! ;-)

Before taking a HUGE hit on selling the car -- especially to the dealer -- consider purchasing a different type of seat.

I am not sure if that's feasible with the airbags and all, but your dealer might be able to help you there.

It's be a shame to see you go so upside down on that deal. Good luck!
  • Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself -- or your back. Just thinking out loud, but have you consulted your doctor? Perhaps there's another explaination for your back pain besides the seat of your new car. Chiropractor? Exercises?

If you must get rid of the car, you're screwed because it's been titled - it's a used car now. The dealer can't help you much. They may be willing to get you almost there if you upgrade to a Passat (maybe that seat will do). Otherwise, sell the car on your own as a "take over the payments." That's just a marketing term, since the buyer would need a loan - and maybe he can't get the loan because it's above the car's value.

Otherwise, start writing letters! Tell, VWoA that you would become their posterboy/gal if they solved your problem (like those Saturn commercials)! Wow, what are you going to do? Keep us posted, though. I'm really interested in what happens. Guess it's the PR guy in me...
  • Options
    Jim, I think you KNOW you got an excellent deal. Which dealer in the Northeast did you buy from? Either they really wanted to move that car without sunroof and leather, or they have way too much inventory like GM and Chrysler. Or you just plum raked 'em, Jim!
  • Options
    rosy20rosy20 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry type options: GLS,1.8T and V6
  • Options
    rosy20rosy20 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone! I'm a first time buyer looking for some advise. I am pretty set on getting a Jetta, trying to figure out type (GLS, V6, 4 cyl). I'm looking at getting a moon roof and leather. Can anyone help with pricing? What do you think is reasonable?
  • Options
    jim229jim229 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Norfolk/VaBeach. In the state of VA you cannot purchase a car without NE emissions, so it's a standard option that you have to pay for. Also the luxury package includes a sun- roof, which by the way should be standard on all cars now a days...lol.

I purchased my Jetta from Greenbrier Volkswagon. They are part of the Southern Hospitality Automotive Group which gives you incredible service for the LIFE of your car. Check out the site and tell your dealer you want the same!

http://www.greenbrierlynnhaven.com/
  • Options
    jim229jim229 Member Posts: 2
    Hey rosy,
    I just purchased a GLS 1.8T with the luxury package. I used the edmund's price sheet to figure out the optimal price. When I went in to the first dealer after test driving, we actually went to the edmund's site and printed out the same price sheet. If you go by that you really can't get ripped off.

Keep in mind that the Jetta is one of hottest cars right now so they are not giving them away.

You should test drive and then go to at least two different dealers before signing.
  • Options
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks to all of your very helpful discussions, I purchased a fully loaded (minus the auto trans), galatic blue/black leather 1.8t Jetta. Got it out the door for $23000 including the taxes etc.

So far (only had it 1 day) it runs like a dream, only time will tell whether it will be a wonderful dream or a nightmare..please be wonderful..

Could anyone (all 1.8 Jetta owners) help recommend a turbo timer for this car. I've done little research only to expect them to cost $100 and the one that I've found is the HKS one, but that looks very big..

Thanks all..hope had a pleasant weekend.