Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    shawn33shawn33 Member Posts: 15
    Glad to hear you LOVE it since I just ordered a 325i no SP though.
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Do to the tension oversea's , no one is really recommending travel for now, but there are several bulletin's issued all the time , but in less you look up the states Embassy site , it may not be in the news. However I believe there are those on board that travel frequently due to business and might could provide more insight.

Regards,
    DL
  • Options
    mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    THis weekend I posted that the pipes going into the muffeler looked rusty and corroded. No one responded, but I know you all have lives. Since then, I have looked at 3 more 2001 3 series and they all look the same. I can't imagine this is normal. Please check yours!
  • Options
    sunnybrooksunnybrook Member Posts: 74
    Does anyone know if the 3-series offers directional display of travel (E,SE,W,etc...) or outside temperature reading? I would think this would be located on an overhead console or something to that effect.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    There are typically two types of material used for exhaust pipes. Stainless steel is the best for longevity, however they are expensive and many consider them overkill due to the fact that they will last many times the life of an average car. Most other cars are equipped with steel exhaust pipes that should last at least 100,000 miles of normal driving. If there is rust on the outside of the exhaust system, do not worry; it will take MANY years for said rust to amount to much.

Another factor in exhaust system life is whether a car has a catalytic converter (like ALL gasoline powered cars sold in the US). Catalytic converts run VERY hot, as a result, most of the residual water (steam) in the system after the engine has been turned off can be kept in a gaseous state long enough to vent out the tail pipe. Back before Catalytic converters were installed on cars, exhaust systems would rot from the inside out. Water would "Pool" at low points in the exhaust system and because condensed steam (water) is pure distilled water, it is VERY corrosive, hence the "Rotting from the inside out" syndrome of old car and their exhaust systems.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    The On Board Computer (OBC) has Outside Air Temperature (OAT) as one of its options. Please note that the OBC is available as an option on the 325i and 325xi Sedan and Wagon and standard equipment on all other E46s.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    ccchen1102ccchen1102 Member Posts: 30
    This is a tip for those of you want to install BMW alram by yoursleves. Check out FAQ at bimmer.org for alarm installation. The bracket of Siren is mounted with only one bolt and
    on to a beam near firewall. It tends to vibrates on rough road and tabbing against beam, which makes this noise as though from front edge of the dash inside cabin. Solution to this is to put an insulation between bracket and the beam. What I did was to place a self-adhesive form tape on the lower part of the bracket (the bolt is located on the upper part). That fixed the problem.
    Hope you guys don't have to go thru. the same procedure twice (like I did), happy driving!!
  • Options
    dremptdrempt Member Posts: 31
    Guys, I just got a call from the dealership. They've had a cancellation and there is a car "in the water" that's the color I want, it's a 325xi with PP, leather seats, and a few more options but it _does not_ have the HK and that's the one option I really care about.

So... This car's MSRP is $36,460 and they are offering $1,000 discount and I could be driving it in two weeks but it will cost me $3,000 more than the car I ordered.

I don't know what to do!

I really don't care for the PP and, they way I see it, I'd be paying 3K more for a bunch of stuff I don't care much about.

Should I call and say I'm willing to pay only $34,500 since this car doesn't have the HK?

Man, I feel like a idiot. I really don't know what to do.
  • Options
    postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    jimbres - thanks for the update on the black/tannin red combination. I guess I will tentatively move that to the top of my list. I think going with cloth is still in play though.

drempt - I would pass on it. If the car had everything you wanted plus PP, well maybe OR if the car didn't have the HK AND it didn't have the PP that you don't want, well maybe, but the PP is just too much to pay for and not get the HK you want.

What interior are most people ordering when they go with grey exterior?
  • Options
    reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    Listen to yourself. You're going to pay $3k more for stuff you don't want. You're not going to get the one option you care about. And you're going to do all this so that you can have the car a few weeks earlier. We all get crazy when waiting for these cars to arrive. However, you'll have the car for years. I'd let this one go.

Having said that, the HK is nothing to write home about. Especially as Edmunds and others say the stock stereo is now much improved.
  • Options
    drcrdrcr Member Posts: 87
    The red/orange glow comes from two "pin" lights embeded in the center front overhead lighting infront of the moonroof switch. I don't know if it is in the convert. I would imagine so. Its not a big deal. seems pretty standard

schawn33- Congrats on your order! You must be thrilled. I would get the setup you like.

If I had to choose one option, it would be the sport but that's me. i don't have to worry about weather conditions here in Atlanta. any way you set it up you'll love it. If I were to rank my options (Limited at that)it would be 1. sport, 2. silver, 3. moon, 4. gray leather (only other option was black ette and didn't want b/c of ATL heat 5. wood (only b/c i couldn't deal w/ the standard gray).

If I were to add it would be 1. indash CD (regret), 2. xenon (although the hal is extremly bright - get flashed periodically), 3. pwr seats (if I got pwr seats, I would have went with the PP since I got moon and wood) didn't get these b/c my personnally imposed cost cap

drcr
  • Options
    jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Member Posts: 210
    drermpt,

With the cancellation of the 325xi models that I've heard earlier, it seems you're in a spot. If you really need the AWD, I'd either wait it out or find a better selection, because why should you have to pay another $3000 in options that you could care less about. And if REALLY wanted the HK, then this isn't the car for you. Ask around to other dealerships, if this one isn't doing the job for you, but IMO, you shouldn't even have to consider the one the dealership intercepted. $1000 less is still not good enough.

postoak,

I got a steel gray with black interior. My car has wood, so I didn't think the gray on gray looked as good. The black looked pretty tight on a steel gray model I saw at one of the local dealerships...
  • Options
    Thanks.

It seems a little odd to see rust after 2 months. I called the dealer and he told me that it was burn off from the stuff -- cosmelene-- they coat the car with for transport. So is that BS or what? ALso the tail pipes and the muffeler look fine. It is the pipes going into the muffeler (from the catalytic converter?) that look rusted.
  • Options
    maroon95maroon95 Member Posts: 26
    hey guys,

does anyone here know when the 2002 models are coming out?

i am going to be in the market for a new 330i soon.
  • Options
    titaniumsil325titaniumsil325 Member Posts: 20
    I noticed that my tail pipe looks rusted as well (the tips of it). When I first saw it I was upset because the car was only like a week old and someone told me not to worry. But now that you mentioned it I am now becoming mad again. Please let me know if you get any explanation regarding the rust. My car is only a month old - nothing should be rusty on it!
  • Options
    emilykemilyk Member Posts: 49
    The 2002 models should start production in September - Germans take most of August off. This would mean that the 2002s should hit US shores around September.
  • Options
    I don't want to alarm anyone. But this couls be a serious issue. THat's why I wanted others to check.
  • Options
    thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    I ordered a 325Ci Steel Gray Metallic on Black leather. I wanted the car to be low-key and masculine, so I went w/ rather subdued colors. I had considered a tanin red interior but I thought that might look more appropo on a roadster.

I asked my sister in-law how her Passat was w/ the black leather. She said it was no hotter than any other color. Any vinyl or leather interior just gets hot regardless. If it gets bad, you can just get the windows tinted.
  • Options
    tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Not sure what it is, i checked mine last night, i saw some residue, probably cosmelene like mfeldman said, because it seems to attract dirt particles, i used my fingers to get a bit of it, is is yellow, like grease or something, all around the bottom of the car. I assume they put this on to protect the undercoating during the transport due to sea water.... I looked at the pipes an mine looks fine so far. I have my car for exactly 3 weeks today.....
  • Options
    Did you speak with anyone at BMWNA about the problem? If you did or if you do, please let me know what they said. Thanks. Hey gurumike...maybe you can shed some light on this issue.
  • Options
    I have the regular license plate because my states required it, but the tab on the upper part on the left handside does not stay in. So my salesman order me another one saying that one they put in was probably defective. I got the new one today, and he put it on. It fits better then the first one, but it still does not fit flush to the bumper trim, no matter how much we pushed it in, it will slowly come back out just a bit. The other side sits fine, anyone have any suggestion on this?
  • Options
    Where is your rust? Mine is on the tip of the tailpipe. Should I be looking elsewhere?
  • Options
    Rust SHOULD appear on a normal exhaust system within a few drives. This is normal. When I was working on cars (back in the mid 1970s) I would put a new exhaust system on a car and surface rust would occur sometimes as soon as the first drive (depending on how hot the system got, weather and humidity). If there was a problem with the BMW systems, we would have heard about it by now.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    No, I think mfeldman is talking about the piple leading from the engine to the muffler. My tailpipe did not have any rust on it, i just barely put on chrome tail exhaust tips yesterday and that was when i remember comments about rust. If your rust at the end of the tailpipe, did it rain in your area? Get the tip, it is really nice looking, plus it is only 20 bucks with shipping and handling.
  • Options
    Your knowledgeable comments are always welcome, and in this case reassuring. But you seem to be saying that this discoloration really is rust of the pipes, while the dealer is saying it is burn off from the cosmolene. I wonder why he is selling a different story. BTW my 1996 honda has none of this.
  • Options
    allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    I'll 3rd your belief that the wagon is a super combination of looks, space and performance. Even the "Business" sound system is very good for my taste in music.
    Got a question. Has any 325 wagon owner found a mat that covers the folded rear seats to the gate's threshold? The BMW accessory mat extends from the back of the (upright) rear seats to the gate's threshold.
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for you input, I really appreciate it.

I passed on it and feel good about it. I told the dealer that if he'd offer a $2,000 discount I might go for it. He said he couldn't do that and that's fine, I don't really mind waiting a few more weeks to get the car I want.
  • Options
    I have not checked my car (1999 328i) so I do not know if rust should be there or not. What I am saying is that IF you have an exhaust system made out of regular steel, rust should occur. It is entirely possible that there is a stainless system on the E46 and that there is some coating that "Burns Off" leaving a rusty looking residue. If that is the case, said residue should eventually be scrubbed off by the elements and the pipes should look simply dirty.

Given that my car is almost 2.5 years old and has almost 27K miles, it should be able to give us a fair idea of what should happen over time. I will be heading home in a couple of hours and will report the current condition of my exhaust system when I get there.

Stay tuned...

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    kartezkartez Member Posts: 48
    Hi all,

I am interested in buying last gen M3 or S4. what's a good place to look ? I've been to the BMW USA website. I am not sure if its worthwhile to restrict myself to certified pre-owned cars.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Kartez
  • Options
    Where is your rust? Mine is on the tip of the tailpipe. Should I be looking elsewhere?
  • Options
    dundedunde Member Posts: 32
    I m still waiting for the Check Engine Light to be fixed at VPC. Apparently VPC at NJ are folks who wanna remain in their bunkers/hideouts. The Dealer wont give out there contact # (as its internal) and BMWNA wouldnt either (they simply say they dont know). Does anyone know how could I contact VPC at NJ. Any web site, phone # etc etc ? Its driving me crazy now. 2 weeks my car has been sitting out there and have no clue when I would get it.
  • Options
    dparis1dparis1 Member Posts: 45
    I have a 330i
    Can you SCAN the radio from the steering wheel?
  • Options
    drcrdrcr Member Posts: 87
    Hey is it $20 each or $20 ttl for both? Including shipping?

I thought you had to get two tips. If so, where did you get them? Circle/pacific?
  • Options
    Which one is SCAN?

In my car, if you press and hold either the UP or the DOWN arrow for three seconds, the station changes to the next one up or down, regardless if it is a preset station or not.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    eddie2224eddie2224 Member Posts: 21
    Guys,

I looked into the deals on the A6 and I think I am done with that car for now. It was a very nice car. But if anyone is considering it, I suggest you go check out audiworld.com and read up on the many changes coming to the car next year. I just hate getting a car and then having a flood of improvements come down the next year.

I will be checking out the 330xi more this weekend. It is going to be very tough to come near the $450/mo (pre-tax) lease I was looking at for the A6. And I hadn't even starting bargaining yet!!!

Eddie.
  • Options
    It is both tail pipes for 20 bucks at circle. They finally delivered it to me, i had problem with them and will not be buying from them. pacific is the same, go with them.
  • Options
    Help! I can't find it.
  • Options
    rust is not on tail pipe but the pipe before the muffeler
  • Options
    burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    I agree that the A6 is a fine car and the lease support Audi is offering on these right now is fantastic. But I'd still MUCH rather have my 330i at $100/month or so more. Even after 6 months, I look forward to slipping behind the wheel and turning the engine EVERY TIME I get in. I doubt I'd be saying that about the A6, even the 2.7T or 4.2. Of course, just an opinion, but likely one that's shared by others on this board.

By the way, I'm currently negotiating a deal on a Z3 2.5 (3rd "fun" car)-- BMW FS is offering good lease support on these this month, and I should be able to get one for near-invoice! Will keep you posted...
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    No way do you want to contact NJ VPC! I called them once when a car ran late and they held it for an extra week!
  • Options
  • Options
    bmwagonmasterbmwagonmaster Member Posts: 150
    Mfeldman and Titanium:
    I think BOTH Shipo and your dealer are right! It's obviously possible for exhaust system components to rust -that's why there's so many Midas shops. But I'm with your dealer on the cosmolene story because of personal experience. My car is a year-old CPO, I live near the ocean (high salt air factor), and there's not one bit of rust on my exhaust system.
    The cosmolene will leave a residue which, as Shipo pointed out, will "eventually be scrubbed off by the elements." To speed-up the process, you might try scrubbing the area with a stiff brush and hot water (cosmolene is like a wax)and see what happens. If it's really rust, it won't "come off" like cosmolene, and then you can jump on your dealer!

ccchen1102: That's a great alarm tip and just the kind of info that should added to our FAQ Board. Will you post the info there also? Thanks.

tcn2k: make sure the tabs between the license plate holder and the trim strip are "locked" together. If necessary, you can slide the trim strip toward the plate holder to get a better fit. This is hard to describe in words, but if you're still having trouble, post again, and I'll try again!

allano: I searched for a mat too but couldn't find a full-fit one either. I eventually bought a large mat made for a Honda Odyssey van (!) at a car parts swap-meet (only $15), and cut it to fit. You could also buy a piece of outdoor carpet at Home Depot and cut it to fit. Might not look terrific but will protect the original carpet from soiling.

kartez: Try "Autoweek" at your newstand, or best bet is to join BMW Car Club of America. Then you get access to the car classifieds on their website- www.bmwcca.org. (I think you might be able to access some classifieds even if not a member...)
  • Options
    burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    This is off-topic, but probably the quickest way to reach you. I am nearing a deal on a Z3 2.5 (CD and metallic are only options). My dealership is standing firm at $500 over invoice. With the $2,000 factory-to-dealer incentives this month, I was hoping to get at or below invoice. This would still give the dealer as much as $2,000 profit, which I feel is equitable. Is $500 over invoice a reasonable, going rate? Also, how does the advertised $299/month work in? I couldn't duplicate it within $50/month on my spreadsheet.
  • Options
    The license plate plastic on top right hand corner, just a bit away from the center is not sitting firm to the bumper, not the one at the edge near the trim piece, that one sits okay.... Is the center slidible? Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Oh boy... I just printed the three-page checklist. Is it really necessary to go through all that stuff? I was under the impression that the cars were thoroughly inspected at the dealership, at least that's what the salesman at Tulley told me.
  • Options
    There are flat tabs on the plate holder that fit into corresponding slots in the bumper. Sounds like the tab near the center is not correctly in its slot. The plate holder is slidable, so make sure the tabs and slots are aligned. It then takes a good push to get the tabs to engage. Does this help?
  • Options
    I'm not sure I want to scrum the pipie with water. Couldn't it make the situation worse. Also I don't want to be accused of tampering with it.
  • Options
    jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Member Posts: 210
    I doubt it's all necessary, but I'd especially go over any shipping damage, which seems to be common enough...I read sometime ago on this board that you could ask your dealer to request a copy of it...I think. Anyways, much of it is very straightforward, but if you'll have to travel 150 miles away to pick your car up like I will (hopefully in another month), you're better off going over even the smallest details....I don't know about you, but I trust no dealer whatsoever on this matter...they just want you to look it over real quick and sign the paperwork...NEXT..
  • Options
    No worse than riding in the rain (;>
    But I understand your hesitation. Why not take it to a reputable independent shop and see what they say. I'd think they wouldn't charge you to just look under the car.