Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    jnscheongjnscheong Member Posts: 66
    I have called BMWNA on two occasions asking about the missing titanium headlight trim on 330i. Both time the BMWNA reps told me that BMWNA was not aware of any change made regarding titanium headlight trim on the 330i. To me, that means all 330i's should have the titanium headlight trim. For those who don't care for it, that's fine. For those who do want it, you should definitely ask for it.

More thoughts on the new 330i base on my short commute to work this morning. Again, the engine sound is just awesome. The road feel is very immediate with a firm but not harsh ride. Everything seems to be geared toward the driver. It seems like a dream owning this fine automobile.

I will try to post some pics later on. It might take some time since I don't own a digital camera or scanner. :-(

For those who are waiting, the car is definitely worth the wait!

jnscheong
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Is it true that you cannot get a front center armrest on the 325i unless you get the entire Premium Package?
  • Options
    shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    I have experienced the same problem with the "grabby" seat belt every so often when I have to lean forward to scan an intersection. The same thing used to happen with my '98 Volvo. Because of that, I assume it's part of the mechanism, as opposed to a defect.
  • Options
    coolbretcoolbret Member Posts: 13
    I agree with you about Towson BMW...I wasn't very happy with their salespeople either, and I'd probably wait til they build their new building before I used their service. I did like NorthWest BMW in general though, they're a lot more professional in my opinion. Good luck!
  • Options
    unboringuyunboringuy Member Posts: 90
    Help! I just received via UPS the Home Link unit that I ordered from Circle BMW. The install job is very simple and straightforward. The instructions state as follows:

"Locate the pre-wiring for the HomeLink. The wiring is routed along the front metal edge of the trim panel opening and is held in place by a small wire tie. Carefully clip the wire tie and plug the small connector into HomeLink."

The only problem is that I cannot locate the pre-wiring. There is no wire along the front metal edge of the trim panel opening, and nothing held in place with a small wire tie. Is this an example of a BMW snafu? Guru, or anyone else, have you heard of this problem before? Any suggestions?
  • Options
    yeeehayeeeha Member Posts: 33
    S852 - I think you are correct. The 325 does NOT come std with the armrest. I believe it comes w/ the pp. I went ahead and ordered my armrest off the internet, and installed it. It only costs around $150 (in leather), and took less than an hour to install. Instructions are straight fwd...and trust me, I am NOT the most mechanically inclined guy around.....

good lead-in for UNBORINGUY...The wiring is there....TRUST ME!!!! I spent several minutes poking around the trim panel. I pulled out several wiring harnesses until I found the right one. You are correct about the 'wire-tie' (or lack thereof). Mine didn't have one. The 'tie' was no more than black tape wrapped around the small connector ... Actually, the small connector is what I started looking for up there around the trim panel. I got a flashlight, and shined it up in there until I caught a small glimpse of the connector (partially covered with black tape). I removed the tape (aka wire-tie) and slipped it in the transmitter.

I know I rambled, but I tried to give you a play-by-play of my install process. Hope this helps. If not, ask me again. I am happy to try and help.
  • Options
    dtleedtlee Member Posts: 15
    My 330i was assembled (week 22) with the black headlight trim. I requested my dealer (and BMW NA) to exchange the headlight trim to titanium trim before delivery (which they did without any major issue). The dealer did point out (after delivery) the 'very fine print' within BMW's literature that equipments are subject to change without notice.
    Some people will not enough notice the different of trim.
  • Options
    I found two unused wire harnesses. One had a connector with about 6 holes. Obviously not the right one. The other one did have a small connector that would accommodate 3 pins. Must be it, I thought. But the plug is not the right shape and will not fit into the part. Any chance that (i) they sent me the wrong part, or (ii) the wrong plug connector was placed at the end of the wire harness? If it matters, I already have installed in the vehicle the in-dash CD player and the security system, but I can't imagine that they would use the same wiring.

By the way, the instructions say "HomeLink Universal Transceiver For all E39 Models" and the label on the part says "BMW 8 380 869". I know these cars are E46s.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Great choice...identical to mine. But just in case, check your back when you've had yours for 5 days....you never know if they are all spooked!
  • Options
    allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    Do you have a sunroof? I understand that the part used for a sunroof is an E39 part while the one for the non-sunroof is tagged for the E46. I installed a Universal Transmitter (UT) on a 325i wagon w/o sunroof and found only two wiring harnesses: one for the microphone and the other for the UT. Both connectors were keyed so that only one fit without much force into the UT.
    Try one and then the other. The UT is not powered until your key is in the 2nd position (0 = off, 1st = accessory, 2nd = on, 3rd = start).
    The part number for the non-sunroof 325i is 82 11 1 470 458
  • Options
    roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    are you trying to jinx me?
  • Options
    the whole sunroof / non-sunroof thing. Allano may have hit the nail-on-the-head.
  • Options
    allano-I've got the sunroof and only found two vacant wiring harnesses. One plug was way too big (had about 6 holes). The other one was small with three holes, but not quite the right shape. I have no idea what is wrong. The outside of the box has a sticker that has the right part number (82111470125) but I wonder if the wrong part is in the box.

roc-not trying to jinx you at all. i hope that particular car is not jinxed...my first blew up and my second got rear ended on day 5. hope your luck is better!
  • Options
    reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    After you have the panel off, feel around toward the passenger side. The lead is tucked in there out of sight but within reach. I had the same problem when hardwiring my V1, but it's there.
  • Options
    i looked everywhere in there, and only found 2 unused harnesses. one with a big plug and one with a small one. does anyone know if perhaps there should be more harnesses and i just need to keep looking?

anybody out there an expert on the wiring under the headliner panel in front of the sunroof???

i'm just wondering if perhaps i was sent the wrong part in a mislabeled box?
  • Options
    the part number they sent me was:
    82 11 1 470 125 (for the sunroof)
    Does that look right to you? I can't imagine they would send the right instructions with the wrong part, but who knows?

You said one was small with three holes, but the wrong shape? Did you try to use it anyway? I remember only the tip of my connector fit into the socket. The rest of it 'stuck out'....like I said....grasping at straws
  • Options
    yep....the proper number is on the outside of the johnson controls box (on a label that appears to have been typed on a typewriter). the label on the part itself has the "BMW" number I mentioned earlier, as well as a serial number. The problem with the connector is that it has a plastic part that juts out on the side and prevents it from fitting into the receptacle on the part.

Remember the good old days when you inserted tab A into slot B and it fit perfectly????
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I'm glad it can be ordered off the internet for $150. Where?

Now I can pass on the Premium Package and buy or lease a base white 325i with automatic, HK stereo and "business cd" (why that strange name and why isn't the CD standard at least with the HK option?) and moonroof for a MSRP of $30,835 and install the armrest later. A simple armrest should standard on a $30K car.
    Is a CD changer that mates to the BMW stereo available aftermarket for less than the dealer charges?

Since I waited this long, I might as well continue waiting for the 2002 models. Will much be new on the 2002 325i?

How is the sound quality of the base BMW stereo and the HK upgraded unit?
  • Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    Pardon my ignorance guys, but I have a few questions about radar detectors. These questions are prompted by all the recent posts, but more importantly by the fact that I got nailed by the CHP the other day for 59 (NOT!) in a 40. I have never owned a radar detector in the past. I had always heard they were a waste. So here goes:
    1. Do radar detectors register only when an officers gun is hot? i.e. when he is shooting someone, or does it register all the time?
    2. I was nailed by an officer using the new "laser" gun. How do radar detectors handle these?
    3. Any resources you guys can point me to would be great.

As a side note, I now have 3,200 miles on my 325i up and it just keeps getting better. Engine pulls stronger and sounds better. It seems we are both getting to know each other better. I am seriously questioning wether or not to do some mods (CAI, exhaust, software) like I had on my Z3. I guess I will wait a while and see what comes out. I see on the "other site" that ECIS now has their intake out for the 330. Of course some people say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, others say the BMW intake is already optimized about as far as it will go.
    Any thoughts?
  • Options
    gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    stgreen - the current books have not been updated.

aaron330i - what was your cars production month?

roc50mg - it shows "to VPC - 7-17"; I would take that to mean that the boat has docked, but they haven't got yours checked into the VPC yet. Totally normal, usually takes a day. I'd guess you'll be driving it by next week-end.
  • Options
    genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    My "premium sound" package doesn't include a CD player.

What are my options regarding getting one installed? Does anyone have any recommendations? Is this something I can do myself (i.e. is there any pre-wiring)? Or do I need to have it professionally installed? Also indash v/s 6-disk in trunk...

Thanks.
  • Options
    erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    You can purchase the armrest over the internet from Pacific BMW:

Example:

Part# 51 16 9 415 861 Black Leather All E46 3 Series models msrp:$220.00 their price:$155.17

You will have to add on for shipping (of course),

but still a pretty good deal.

Other thoughts...why the armrest is not standard? I had similar thoughts ....until I heard several people complain that their elbow bumps into the armrest while they are shifting...perhaps this is why it is not included?

I think you can find aftermarket CD changers (ie Alpine?), but I recall reading several posts about having to be careful when adding after market stuff to the stereo. As far as sound quality, I would go to the FAQS section of http://www.E46fantics.com , and read through it. The whole stereo upgrade thing has been debated here previously, and really is a matter of personal preference, budgets, etc. (As for me, the standard setup is fine, and I have no regrets about not having gotten the HK upgrade.)

Hope all this helps.

• Options
    aaron330iaaron330i Member Posts: 136
    Mine was a week 23 car.
  • Options
    you are correct. the 'premium sound' upgrade you speak of only upgrades the speakers, and adds a sub-whoofer....it does not add a CD changer.

Your car is pre-wired for a CD changer in the trunk, and it appears to be a pretty straight forward procedure, based on others who have installed it. I think if you purchase the CD changer and "kit" from a BMW dealer, you will have all the parts required. You can find the entire 'kit' at http://www.pacificbmw.com and some pretty good install instructions at http://www.circlebmw.com or http://e46fanatics.com under faqs

• Options
    Thanks errickson.

Do I have to get it from a dealer? Or can I get something from an electronics store? Pardon my ignorance as I am no audiophile. I just want to listen to the Barber of Seville when I'm tired of BSB/NSYNC/Britney/Eminem. :)
  • Options
    you may be able to find one at a stereo store...can't speak from personal experience, but I think Alpine has a model that will work with BMW's, MB, Volvo, etc.

Of course they will also install it. I mentioned the BMW dealer route because the 'kit' is specifically designed for your vehicle, vs. an aftermarket product.

What? tired of Eminem? Never! (ha)
  • Options
    add123add123 Member Posts: 28
    Guru,

I just checked the BMW website for the standard features for the 330i. It stated that the titanium trim is standard. Would the website be outdated as is the brochure? I understand the BMW has the right to change things but it should be done on all vehicles, not just some. It looks like the 330i's missing the trim were built on mondays after a long weekend, HA!

Anyone

When I had my dealer program the keys with their computer, it was getting a reading that something was wrong with the computer on the vehicle. I will go back this saturday and try again. Anyone have this problem as well?

add123
  • Options
    eugeug Member Posts: 46
    Can you check on my car again? 325ci, Titanium/black leather, PP, SP, and CD, bound for Crevier in Santa Ana, CA. Thanks.
  • Options
    The kit will offer a perfect fit, but my car is older (98) so price will be a deciding factor. Although I've found that compromising on most things has led to regret.

On a similar note...I tried the Mother's wax/polish system two weeks ago. My car is now caked in dirt and has water spots (we had a couple of rainy days) and looks horrible. I will try to resurrect it this weekend and see the results. If it looks like c**p I will have to cave in and get the Zaino (which was my first choice...but I didn't want to wait for the mail order) Like I said before...compromise leads to regret. :(
  • Options
    reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    "Watch you stopping me fo"? Would you like to explain that?
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    dl - great post - I couldn't agree more, especially with taking responsibility for what you do.

twoof1 - Radar detectors register signals. Speed trap radars are rarely blasting at the traffic continuously. Most likely, they'd point it at you and 'shoot'. You have no protection from laser (< 1sec to determine your speed). Radars take maybe 2 secs to determine your speed. In either case, you will rarely have enough time to slow down. Having a radar detector may be helpful if there are cars in front of you that the radar is pointed at. But this is not very different from what I was saying that you should always have cars in front of you if you're going too fast. Not immediately in front of you, as they might pull over multiple cars at once - I mean cars in a couple of hundred yards that you can see. even the most sophisticated radar detector is just a supplement to your senses. As far as resources, the best ones I've seen are from the National Motorist Association - check out their web site for materials. How did you get nailed?
  • Options
    burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    It's been a few days since I've posted; work's been super-busy, so it's been skim, skim, skim the board this week.

Silverprincess - either a HELOC or HE loan are good ways to deduct the interest from income taxes on any purchase, be it a car, home improvements, children's college tuition, whatever. The key difference is that the HELOC is a revolving balance, just like a credit card, that only specifies a minimum amount to be paid each month. The HE loan has a fixed term, and thus a fixed amount you receive and a fixed amount you pay each month. Really depends on your needs and what rates are available as to which is right for you. The key thing, again, is that the interest is TAX DEDUCTIBLE! The watchout with this is that if you sell your house, any balance on 2nd mortgages, HELOC's, etc., are due in full upon close, impinging on any profit/equity you have in the house.

Cincinnati has been a virtual rain forest this week, limiting the miles on Grace (Z3). Gretl (330) has been terrific and rock-solid as always, weather notwithstanding. Grace's fun-to-drive factor is MUCH influenced by whether the top is up or down, whereas Gretl's FTD factor is relatively insensitive to weather conditions, making her much more versatile.
  • Options
    jhox85jhox85 Member Posts: 35
    Is anybody out there has any suggestions on BMW dealers in Kansas City & St. Louts area?
    Any good or bad experiences?

I would appreciate your comments.
  • Options
    driver36driver36 Member Posts: 57
    Thx for you info Tom! I'll try out Corcord next week and see if I can get any discount them.
    I don't think they would discount much on the 325i vs 330i, but it should be worth the try.
    Once again thank you for all posts here on this forum :-)

Driver 36
  • Options
    I have been test-cleaning and waxing a Mazda 626 which has 5 years of hard water, tar, sap and bug spots on its hood. I'm going the full nine yards with claybar/soap wash, Z1 'primer', two coats of Z5 and a final coat of Z2 (on roof and trunk area now). The results are spectacular. Except for a persistent stain around the windshield washer nozzle, the clarbar/Z1 combination cleaned everything and the Z5 'removed' swirl marks and other minor imperfections to the point where the surface has an amazing deep, glossy shine.
    I started the same test-process on an 1987 car only to discovered it did not have a gloss coat. Now I am waiting for the Z3 to arrive before spending any more energy. The Zaino products are definitely worth waiting for.

P.S. Many thanks to everyone who recommended these products (http://www.zainobros.com).
  • Options
    mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    WHen i get my 330 up to 15mph i hear a clicking sound from the trunk area . It only occurs in 2nd not first (step). I finally took it to the dealer. I also occasionally hear faint clicking when manually upshifting to other gears. Dealer said its a solenoid valve that has something to do with emission control, that all 330s have it and nothing can be done. I drove 2 325s and didn't hear it, but he says the 330 is different and that he hears it on other 330s. Has any one else heard this or am i being BSed?

BTW Brave, have you heard about the steering fix?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    mfeldman - not yet; next week I hope.

allano - you should go out more often :o)
  • Options
    blaketagblaketag Member Posts: 24
    You're welcome! Good luck at Concord. They have a really nice, brand-new dealership. So far it's been a pleasant experience dealing with them. I live within 10 miles of this dealership so I'm glad the closest BMW Center to me is a good one. All their 3 series cars on the lot had $2K added to the sticker for "market value adjustment" (they're adding $15K to the stickers for M3's, and $50K for an M5!). However, back in May when I ordered my 330i they quickly came down to $1900 over invoice with little negotiation required on my part. It was pretty clear they wouldn't go any lower. Could be a different story now with 2001's scarce and future allocation spots being for the new 2002 model. I'll let you know how everything goes with closing the deal. Haven't gotten the call yet, but I hope to pick her up by Saturday. Ask for Hendrik Lesterhuis. He's very easy to deal with and low pressure. If you tell him I referred you, maybe I'll have a smoother close on my 330i!

Tom
  • Options
    330iwaiting330iwaiting Member Posts: 2
    My 330i was produced Tuesday the 17th. I am wondering how much longer it will take. I am picking the car up at the PCD in SC.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Very true! I take my boat out in Maine on the weekend and basically do nothing up there. But time spent up there is part of the reason that necessary work on the house and cars never seems to get done.
    Hope you are enjoying your stay in the Albany area. I lived off the first exit after the Mohawk river on the Northway (Clifton Park) for three years. If you get up that way in the month of August (racing season at Saratoga), watch out for speed traps just before that exit. NY State police have (had) speed traps along that stretch down to a science: one officer with a radar gun at one location and six officers about a mile later pulling over _everyone_ that was identified by the first.
    BTW, I found NY State Police to be very conscientious compared to our state; they actually patrol the roads and could be counted on if you broke down. As a whole, they were a very professional group.
  • Options
    nbbnbb Member Posts: 16
    My experience is that BMW does a poor job in QA'ing their documentation. I suspect they changed the titanium rules in mid-year. But here's some of my own examples. My 325 Convertible's window sticker says the car includes a reversible trunk mat..but that only applies to the sedan and coupe. Also, the owners manual says both front windows are auto-up, but only the driver side has it. Even the dealers can't keep up with all of the changes. So don't believe everything you read.
  • Options
    I would have your dealer's service center look into this. All my windows are auto-up as long as all doors are closed. If I open my door (only one I have observed so far), the auto-up feature does not work -- probably a safety feature.
  • Options
    I have to admit that it is very pretty around here. I have noticed a couple of police cruisers on the highway but none of the evil speed traps that they set up in MA.

Also, we go out for dinner every night and there are quite a few good restaurants and pubs - Provance, The Pump House, Big Red's... I hope you're enjoying your trips to Maine - it's pretty up there during the summer.
  • Options
    hippo168hippo168 Member Posts: 115
    My car has been in the "produced but not shipped" status for exactly a week. I wonder how much longer it has to wait for the transportation.

I'd think it is waiting for a ship to dock so it can be loaded, or it is waiting for other cars to be done so they can ship the whole batch of bimmers.

The wait is killing me though.
  • Options
    I really wish I'd got the Zaino. As it is, I'll have to use up the Mother's really quickly so I can start with Zaino. I wonder if I need the clay bar (my car is a 98). I'm also not sure how to tell if its a clear coat or not.
  • Options
    bmwagonmasterbmwagonmaster Member Posts: 150
    Did you get it installed yet? Yeeeha gave the right advice--the connector is tucked away in the right headliner and wrapped with tape, not a tie. For additional identification, it's a white rectangular plastic piece with a "lip" on the right side. The "lip" is what guides it into the transmitter in the correct position. Also, the connector has 3 wires. If you have a sunroof, you gave the right part number and it is made by Johnson Controls. Let us know how you're doing. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    jfedor1jfedor1 Member Posts: 39
    What was your production week?
    mine is status 155, production complete. Its been this way since Tuesday.

Josh
  • Options
    Unboring:
    last night you wrote , "The problem with the connector is that it has a plastic part that juts out on the side and prevents it from fitting into the receptacle on the part."

Above, bmwagonmaster writes, " For additional identification, it's a white rectangular plastic piece with a "lip" on the right side. The "lip" is what guides it into the transmitter in the correct position. "

If you have not had success yet, I just wanted to be triple sure you were trying to insert the connector into the slot correctly???? Same as bmwagonmaster, let us know how you're doing....
  • Options
    hippo168hippo168 Member Posts: 115
    Actually, when I placed my order, they told me it would be a week-30 production. But my salesperson called me the 1st week of July, and said it would be built "next week".

Sometime between 7/10 and 7/11, the status on bmwusa owner's circle changed from "scheduled for production" to "produced but not shipped". So I'm assuming it is waiting for the ship...
  • Options
    I claybar'ed every surface to date so I'm not sure what to recommend. I found the process to be most effective in removing spots: bugs, hard water, etc but the cleaned paint did appear to be a slightly lighter color than adjacent panels. Used their Z-7 Car Wash to lubricate the clarbar so I'm not sure if the Car Wash or claybar lightened the panel.
    For the clear-coat test, use a non-abbrasive polish/wax (Mothers?, Megulars or a paste wax). After applying the polish/wax, if your applicator has spots that are the color of your car, then you don't have a clear coat.