Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    Yes. What a tragic ending to such a beautiful car.
  • Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    One of my favorite movies of all time !!!
    Love the valet scene with the Ferrari!!
  • Options
    rpadillarpadilla Member Posts: 53
    Yes....but, the valets had a great time!
  • Options
    Do you remember what kind of Ferrari that was?
  • Options
    killer99killer99 Member Posts: 21
    Wasn't it a Daytona Convertible?
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Shipo: On all of the cars I have enough personal knowledge of to be sure, it is the number of engine start cycles that drive the reset of the light, rather than miles or any other factor. The computer has to see a "clean" board x number of times before it is allowed to reset the trap on its own...but I can't explain why that number might change, so there may be some other variable in the equation somewhere.

Auto vs manual: About every week to ten days, this discussion breaks out like a rash, usually driven by some well-meaning soul who comes to this board seeking advice. Well, on this topic at least, there seems to be no shortage of it.

It seems to me that the pros and cons have been stated and restated until the cows come home [and for all we know, the cows even can shift for themselves by now]. I have my own opinion, but so what? The only part of this discussion that ever really gets my goat [or my cows, for that matter] is the assertion that "real enthusiasts" have to have clutch pedals to pass some test that the self-described keepers of the flame have determined is important. I continue to assert that "real enthusiasts" care about cars and driving enough to drive well all of the time, and should be trusted to pick the transmission that makes the most sense to them.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Given my latest "Loose Cap" event, the E46 seems to fit within your understanding of how and when the light is reset.

As for the Manual vs. Auto debate, I think that it was Woody Harrelson (aka. Hank Gordon) who said, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do" in Doc Hollywood. I know that many of us who absolutely enjoy stirring our own gears (regardless of traffic) have a hard time understanding folks who do not, maybe that is because we feel a little sorry for the folks who are not able to get said enjoyment. I know that this is a little (more like a lot) arrogant, we just sort of wish we could share the pleasure with the Auto drivers. In most cases, this is not meant to be condescending (I cannot speak for everybody) even though it may seem like it from time to time.

PEACE between all Bimmer drivers, regardless of Tranny, Suspension and/or Seat Coverings, AT LEAST WE HAVE A CHOICE WITH THE 3-SERIES. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I found this information on a site about the movie. Apparently it was an MGB modified to look like a '61 Ferrari 250GT California:

"Was that a real 1961 Ferrari 250GT California?

No, as Cameron stated in the film less than 100 of those cars were made with no two being the same. They are valued at over $3 million US and for more information on the car check out it's cast profile. The car used in the film was actually a modified MGB.

And, according to Brad Williams (a visitor to this site), the company that modified for the MGB for this film and others, was actually sued by Ferrari for the use of it's logos, and with all the damages that were demanded to be paid by Federal courts, it actually went out of business soon after."

Here is the link:

http://www.80s.com/saveferris/

Sorry to take things off topic, but it is a classic.

• Options
    left leg gets equal amount of exercise with the 3rd pedal. ;-)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    My parents are MB loyalists and when the lease is up on their '98 CLK320 they're leaning heavily on the 330Xi with the whole truckload of options. Has anybody experienced trouble with the 4wd system (DSC-X)? Do sport package equiped Xis come with all season tires? What are your thoughts on the Xis in general. My Dad is gunning for the 330i Sport, but my Mother insists on All Wheel Drive. Thanks!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Have to poke around the manual to see if I can disable it. They did a pretty good job with the intensity of the sound - you definitely hear it but it won't scare the living "beep" out of you like in the A4. I still want it disabled, though - I know enough that it's cold and the roads might be frozen, thank you friendly German engineers. Actually, it's probably the marketing people that came up with that idea - "The car is so smart and safe, it even warns you when...". If it was up to the German engineers, they'd probably be like 'Ya, zo, I zee you are in ze ditch, ya? Bad not to pay attention wen its kold."
  • Options
    twoof1 -- thanks for the info and link!

Re: Auto/slush box -- I had the distinct privilege of driving some "twisties" in Illinois (I know, it sounds like an oxymoron, but, where the glacial moraine ends, there are some pretty cool curves and hills), and, I had a blast! I really have to get into a driving class, but, although I drive the STEP ("boo, hiss"), leaving it in SPORT was actually quite exhilarating. My 330i really handles very well (despite my poor driving skills), and is quite an impressive machine. I am no race car driver, by any stretch of the imagination, but, I know that I love to drive this car (3 months and 5,000 miles later). (BTW, I bought the STEP because I was too impatient to wait for a STANDARD, and I bought my girl straight off the lot)

There's my humble two cents....
  • Options
    I wish there was a way to disable that stupid beep along with its accompanying display change (current display to temp display), it has been annoying me through three winters now. When I first encountered this, I immediately thought it was a North America only doohicky, then I wound up in Stuttgart with a rented 318i compliments of MBAG and low and behold, BEEP – 3 degrees Celsius! My friend Klaus has an E36 325i and his beeped as well. I guess it was the German Engineers who dreamed up this little goodie after all.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    I think how to send those inputs to the car is irrelevant.
    I'd disagree in most cases. Again, at the present time only something like SMG/SSG (in full auto mode) has a chance at selecting the appropriate gear/RPM combination better and faster than a talented mammalian 3-pedal operator. I don't count myself in that category yet (well, "mammal" yes but "talented" not quite) but I figure at least I'm trying. I have this recurring Twilight Zone-ish daydream where 20 years pass and due to low sales, all automakers just drop manual transmission entirely. So I figure I have to do my part to prevent that horrible future!

fwiw, i can't think of one person who has died (or even suffered grievous injury) from having to shift in traffic...
    I would think that it might be safer since it helps keep both hands busier and thus less able to attempt dangerous maneuvers like reading, dialing a cell phone, dinking around with your Palm Pilot, smacking misbehaving rear seat passengers, etc. Anyone know where we might find crash stats on manual vs. auto, and then compare that to the overal percentage of manual and auto cars on the road? That inquiry is not meant as a slight to Steptronic brethren and sistren, just more my bean-counter curiosity.

Yes, this debate does get repeated every so often, but most new readers don't want to scroll back that far and the search function around here also stinks. Besides, without Mr. Double Voranos around things are slowing down a little and we need some filler ;)
  • Options
    I am a hard-core manual fan. Always have been, always will be. I'd probably still drive a manual even long after the automatics have completely taken over and the CVT's are faster and more fuel-efficient (almost there). That doesn't make me a true auto enthusiast, though. Conversely, anyone choosing the auto over the manual is not necessarily uninterested in spirited driving. I think most of us manual transmission fans would agree with that. Most 3-series owners know how to drive a manual but had very good reasons to choose the automatic. Perfectly fine. I just don't want to hear people who cannot drive a manual complain that the 3-series is too slow with an automatic. To those people I say, if you are so much into performance and must have a faster car, then learn how to drive a manual. At any rate, it's about control over the car and becoming one with it more than anything else. No, you don't need to know all about RPM's, torque curve, shift points and the such but knowing these does help improve your driving skills. In the end, we're all still brothers in arms and as Shipo says, we are very lucky to have a choice. I truly believe we should respect that.
  • Options
    as usual, very well put.
    'nuff said, end of topic
  • Options
    Not to get off subject again, but, another great movie car -- Michael J. Fox's 1948 Porsche 356.....beee-yooo-teee-fullll! And, yes, I would HAVE to get the standard in that car :-)
  • Options
    genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    My brother just signed for a Capri Blue C230 coupe, delivery in March. Oyster leather, panoramic sunroof (of course), heated seats, Evolution package (17in performance tires, other trinkets).

We had the dealer rep drive us around to show what this car can do. I was v. impressed. I may have company at autocross next year after all.

The dealers here aren't moving off MSRP.

All in all a very nice car that should meet my brothers needs nicely for the next couple of years.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I figured someone here might know - was the (time machine) car in Back to the Future a Lamborghini?
  • Options
    Even I know it was a DeLorean

PS: I didn't know they have Audis in India. When did that happen?
  • Options
    jthaijthai Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have a pic of the front of a canadian 2002 330i with the sport pack?

i went to the dealer trying to figure out whether they look different from the normal front (which i don't like) but they didn't have any in stock... and the 2001 330i SP doesn't look any different from the normal 2001 either. Odd.
  • Options
    So, when do you get to drive the C230?

Better yet, when are you getting the SLK? ;-)
  • Options
    I can drive his car time I like.

(Within reason of course, but he is a generous guy)

The SLK on the other hand...
    Maybe 2002/2003. I can only imagine the fun I'll have shopping in this category. I wonder if I could find anyone who would like to help me decide?

:)
  • Options
    My SLK friend and I were car shopping the same time, so did the whole German tour. She had her heart set on SLK230 with options. I pointed out to her that for few more Ks, she could get the 320. She ended up with the 320.

I believe 2003 SLK will be redesigned as well.
  • Options
    C coupe delivery in March? That's 5 months!! And we complain about a 2-month wait (7 weeks in my case). Is this common with ordering M-Bs or it's just the C coupe because it's so new?
  • Options
    For some reason I thought your bro had a lower target price in mind and that's why he avoided the 3-er. I could just be remembering wrong, though. Anyway, the options you mention sound like the C4, C5, C7, and Metallic Paint which total around US$30,505 not including tax. The bean-counter in me can't help but notice that all those extra trinkets sure add up on what's supposed to be a budget Benz :) I'm sure your brother will enjoy it. That panoramic sunroof looks like a lot of fun.

What's your opinion on the sound of that 2.3L "Kompressor"? I'm satisfied with the power of our SLK which shares that engine with the C230, but I wish MB had maybe installed an external subwoofer and sound-generation circuitry so it doesn't sound quite so wimpy. Thankfully, at least there's something that sounds worse: the Honda S2000.

Yes, the MSRP thing stinks but that's standard operating procedure at most Benz dealers these days. The only exceptions I've found locally are some M's and E's that they're willing to discount slightly.

brave1heart, yes a long wait is pretty standard. Actually, I'm surprised it wasn't longer than 5 months on the C230. Some of the really high demand cars like the CLK and SL were more like 12-18 months the last time I checked.
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    I read/heard that BMW will or is installing F1 type shifters in the Euro models. As you guys know, these shifters can shift faster than any stick. Wonder why we can't get them here.

Does anyone know if and when BMW plans to introduce the cross-over model. I think I saw it in C&D a few months ago. It looked too cool to be real-maybe that's why I can't find anymore info on it.

Peace
  • Options
    I believe the Euro M3 already has it, and the 330 will get in in MY03. No idea when it'll hit our shores. Stick's still more fun though.
  • Options
    aka SMG "Lite" is the F1 style shifting you're talking about. It was supposed to come to the normal European 3-series cars at the end of the calendar year. I'm not sure if BMW is still on target with that date. As far as I know, the date for US arrival is still undetermined, as is the price.

I think dave330i is correct about SMG already being available on the M3 in Europe. It's got some more advanced features than SSG, although supposedly a lot of the hydraulics and such are shared.
  • Options
    Brave:
    We planned delivery for end of winter so he could save more for the downpayment. The car is not a need but a want, and he is willing to wait. Normal wait here (due to mad-cow disease leather shortage) is about 6-8 weeks for a production date.

Derprofi
    When he added all the options to the 325 it was more expensive than the MB (without Evolution package)

The MB options are priced differently here: Leather seats and sunroof are $3500 together, Evol. is $1050. The total comes to CDN $42,000 before taxes, freight and the whopping 15% sales tax...

It is a lot less than the US price, but we don't earn US dollars here. :(

Brave, I spent as much as you on my car (as numbers go), but got a lot less car.
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    LOL!

My A4 startles the cr*p out of me at least once a month. Even the washer fluid warning is a tad loud.
  • Options
    I liked the front end torque in the Kompressor. Of course I am comparing it to my 138hp 318.

Some of the moves our rep showed us definitely count as SPIRITED driving.

The MB over BMW is a personal thing for my brother. My dad drove one some time ago and will get one again when his current JGC lease is up. My bro. has always wanted an MB and is proud to be able to afford one at 24.

So even if the 325 cost less, (he could have gotten a slightly used one) he still preferred the MB. It is more practical for him. He plans on using it for deliveries so the flat folding rear seats are perfect.

Besides we grew up idolizing that 3-point star.

:)
  • Options
    I grew up idolizing the Stuttgart seal.
  • Options
    fpereirafpereira Member Posts: 42
    SMG is an option on US-spec M3s.
  • Options
    ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    SMG equipped M3s are supposed to be arriving at US dealers by the end of the year.
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Shipo , have you had the therm recall yet ? i thought i had a case of the loose gas cap and after a short trip to the dealer, i was informed there was a therm recall.

DL
  • Options
    <<< I spent as much as you on my car (as numbers go), but got a lot less car. >>> I assume you're comparing CN to US dollars, right? Well, if you convert CN dollars to British pounds, your car would come out "cheaper" then ;o) Just as long as you don't have to pay in Turkish liras - I think the clown nose alone is worth a million of those. The Turkish must be a fun people if they pay their clowns so dearly to entertain them o:)

I feel like it's been a long day and I'm starting to sound a lot like Dennis Miller and his jokes by association that even he doesn't understand. It's almost Miller time... Huuuh, I forgot I prefer Guinness. Aaah, any drink is beginning to sound awfully good right now.
  • Options
    had any luck with getting the dealer to change the key programming for free? (clown nose flashing for un/lock).
  • Options
    I had mine replaced back in August but got a letter from BMWNA in mid-September stating that even if I've had it replaced, I should still have a new one put in. What's going on?
  • Options
    Can you disable the beeps in the A4?
  • Options
    good thing about living in SF area. Don't have to worry about the beeps. :)
  • Options
    DL7265,

I do not think there is a Thermostat recall for the 1999 328i, my check engine light was definitely due to an improperly closed gas cap.

Brave1heart,

I also monitor the 5-Series board; over there it has been acknowledged for some time that there was a &#147;Recall of the Recall&#148; on the fans. It seems that the initial fan fix was rushed through to protect engines from overheating, however, there seems to be another flaw that has caused a couple of cars to spontaneously self combust (I have only heard of this happening on 5-Series cars). All of this is just hearsay, however, I think I got it correct, you might want to call your dealer.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    jpaganjpagan Member Posts: 11
    I'm hoping for some good feedback as I have been accustomed to in this room. The issue is in the St. Petersburg, FL area there is a BMW dealership which "reduced" the price of a used 2001 Z3, PP with 8,000 miles to 28,800. Is this a reasonable price or would a lower offer be accepted as reasonable? Maybe something like $26,000. Any input would be appreciated....Thanks..
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Honestly, I don't know. I've never looked into it. It would be nice, though. Maybe I'll take a look at the owners manual.
  • Options
    jpaganjpagan Member Posts: 11
    I'm hoping for some good feedback as I have been accustomed to in this room. The issue is in the St. Petersburg, FL area there is a BMW dealership which "reduced" the price of a used 2001 Z3, PP with 8,000 miles to 28,800. Is this a reasonable price or would a lower offer be accepted as reasonable? Maybe something like $26,000. Any input would be appreciated....Thanks..
  • Options
    moe330moe330 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my new 2001/330i with the sport option and noticed the ride is VERY rough - a little TOO much feel of the road, even more than my old SLK!

Can adjustments/tuning be made to the suspension to make it less bumpy? Would this be covered under warranty? What recourse do i have with the dealer. [i test drove it twice, but didn't quite feel the bump!]

TIA,
    Moe
  • Options
    This is a long shot, but make sure the dealer took out the plastic spacers that are inserted in the suspension during transport. During the summer I test drove a 330i that hadn't been fully prepped by the dealer. It apparently still had these spacers installed, and the ride was bone-jarring indeed.
  • Options
    Another thing to check is the tire pressure, cars are shipped with high pressure in their tires to prevent bouncing. The ride can be REAL rough with 50psi.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    You may be right i have the 323i a few months newer than your car, ive not had a fuel cap incident yet, but then again we are allowed to pump our own gas here , Whats up with that ??

I never heard of such nonsence til i visted the Oregon Coast this summer, it took FOREVER to get outta there. Guess im spolied sliding a card being gone in about 2-3 minutes tops.

Regards,
    DL
  • Options
    I hear ya. When I travel, I pop out of the car, card in hand, swipe, pump, SEE YAH!

On the other hand, we have Full-Serivce gas prices here in New Jersey that rival most other states Self-Serve prices. That and when wearing a suit on the way to work, the last thing I want to do is pump my own gas. Maybe it is just age, I have been pumping my own gas since 1974 and the novelty has just about worn off. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo