Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• mcnal01mcnal01 Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2001 3er brochure and it says the lumbar support is not available on the 325i or xi with either PP or SP. Has this changed for 2002?
  • markfallenmarkfallen Member Posts: 8
    Though I've got an appointment at the dealership late next week, anyone experience having the "Service Engine Soon" light staying on (yes, I've secured the gas cap, per the BMW service writer's suggestion)? The car is performing wonderful, and without any noticeable engine issues whatsoever.

Model: 2001 325i

Your thoughts?
  • rjg96rjg96 Member Posts: 65
    I've seen a bunch of posts here about whether certain seats have lumbar support. Here's the deal:
    1. No manual seats come with the lumbar support on US Models. (In reality BMW does offer power lumbar as a standalone option on all seats in Europe. There is a slight chance that you could special order this). It costs about $150 as a standalone if you could get it (doubtful).
    2. Power seats (both sport and regular) on the 325i or 330i w/o premium pkg do not come with lumbar
    3. All 330i w/ premium pkg come with lumbar. If you combine the premium package and sport package you will get a power seats with lumbar support. In the US, this is the only way to get lumbar support from the factory. Stupid, but true.

I have a 325i w/ manual sport seats and no adjustable lumbar. The built-in lower back support feels perfectly adequate. I've owned Volvo's and Saabs before with manually adjustable lumbar and have appreciated it- but the seats in the BMW are fine without it. My father has a 740i w/ power lumbar regular seats and I actually find them too hard- unless you deflate the lumbar completely.
    It could've been the gas cap. It takes a while for the computer to reset even after you tighten the gas cap.

The other possibility is a bad thermostat-- supposedly this can trigger the Check ENgine light-- you would also notice that the car will take a while to get up to temperature (if ever). Watch the temp guage to make sure you're car isn't running too hot or cold-- it should be pegged in the middle after about 4 minutes of driving. This was a common problem w/ 2000 models and some 2001. WHen was your car built?
  • stokdgsstokdgs Member Posts: 65
    I just traded in a 2001 325I that I bought last November, and it had SP and PP. The lumbar support was available on the PP seats but not on the SP seats, that I had. It didnt really matter to my back because the leather sport seats were the best! I could drive like 1000 miles and not even feel tired.. The thigh support worked just fine on these seats too..

DanF
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Vinerman... Read the entire warranty description. You'll quickly notice that it is clear, and BMW goes out of their way to point it out, that the Pre-Certified Warranty that kicks in after the 4/50 expires is NOT the same and has lots of limitations, including exterior paint. The 4/50 initial bumper-to-bumper and later 2/50 Pre-Certified warranties are different. The former is more extensive. The Pre-Certified Warranty is NOT bumper-to-bumper. Don't think any such warranty on used cars is, regardless of make.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    What I wrote above is the case with the 330's, I'm not sure about the 325's. I believe between myself, stokdgs, rjg96, and others, we've covered just about every possible combination of models and options. For what it's worth, I agree with stokdgs and rjg96 that the sport seats are GREAT even without adjustable lumbar. I've had a quirky lower back for several years and it seems to be aggrevated by many car seats after a 1/2 hour or so... not the case with the BMW sport seats.
  • denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    I passed on the xi sport package for my 2001 330xi because all it offered was the "M" cladding ground effects and sport seats and steering wheel. This package made no difference in the suspension or wheels size, though the rim appearance may have been different.

More than $1000 for some cosmetic bells and whistles was not happening with me, especially when I was already spending over $38K on the car. I got the PP, CD, CWP, etc... all the neat extras EXCEPT the SP and Xenons. I just found these to be pointless extra $$ down the drain.

• denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    I was somehwat concerned about passing up the sport seats for the normal power seats, wondering if the regular seats would offere sufficient support and lateral hold for cornering. The normal seats are GREAT. The side bolsters hold you tioghtly in place, and the seats are easy to adjust for perfect comfort. I wouldn't change a thing.
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    mugen honda ISN'T mother honda... but i'll be quiet now...

question... has anyone used the gauge kit from easter motor werks (the one with the oil distribution block, rather than sensors on the plug)?

-Chris
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Once you get used to driving with them, it is difficult to drive without them. Probably my favorite option on my car.
  • carsrcoolcarsrcool Member Posts: 26
    tenet1
    Feel the same. Since getting them on my S4, it will be one of the first options I select. Can see a big difference when I drive the other cars in the garage that do not have them.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    My Dad used to think Xenons were a stupid option too. His QX4 has them and he loves them. If my parents go for the 330Xi in April, Xenons are on the list of options they'll get. Xenons will be extremely helpful to my Mother who suffers from a common vision condition known as "night blindness."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    It seems that you are itching to talk more about F-1 - go ahead and share what you know about Mugen Honda (I've only heard the name).

Let me try the Ferrari/BMW engine thing again: I think the article meant that these are the only two engine manufacturers that did NOT have to go outside of their company to build their own F-1 engines. When BMW decided to re-enter F-1, they determined that they had all the capabilities to build the engine in-house, as in not having to buy any tuner to do that. Does that sound right?
  • 1johann1johann Member Posts: 32
    Any comments on the quality of BMW dealers Tischer or VOB in the DC area?
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Okay, my alarm came and i have questions about extra parts:

The first is the fuse, is this extra just incase one blows?

The second is the prestole cage. It is threaded piece of metal about 0.5" x 0.2" squared. What is this use for? I looked at the installation instruction on circle, but could not determine this. It is probably the cage nut that was mention at e46fanatics website. What or how is this cage nut used in the installation of the alarm? anyone?
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    My BMW has xenons. I didn't think much about them other than they looked pretty cool. When I visited my folks for the holidays, I drove their Accord w/out xenon. What a difference!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey gang, Brave and I did the swap this morning (cars not wives), for the next day and a half I am driving the “BraveMobile” aka. “Shtroumpf Muscle”. As many of you know I have a 1999 328i, PP, Xenons, Universal Garage Door Opener, HK and in-dash CD done up in Forest Green Metallic with the Sand Leather interior. Stroumpf is a 2001 325i, SP, Xenons, Heated Seats, Moonroof, HK and in-dash CD done up in a dark Blue Metallic (I am not sure of the color designation) and black interior.

First off, for two cars that are built off an identical platform, they really do have a distinctly different character, one of the benefits of the 3-Series as opposed to something like an IS300.

Visual differences:
    Stroumpf, with her dark blue paint, shadow line trim and larger wheels/lower profile tires, makes my 328i look downright pedestrian. I do not think that color of blue was available when I ordered my car, I most likely would have ordered it if it had been.

The interiors are vastly different, my 328i, with its Sand leather and Myrtle wood trim are far less sporty looking than Black ‘ette and Black gloss trim, I like them both, a lot. The first thing I noticed was the steering wheel on Stroumpf, it is MUCH nicer than the one in my 328i, however, I think that the 2001 Sport Steering Wheel is quite a bit different than the one that came on the 1999 models, which, as it turned out, I did not like at all. So, either my tastes have changed, or the wheel has changed, or maybe a little of both.

The manually adjusted seats on Stroumpf have more/different controls when compared to the power/memory seats on my 328i. Setting up the seat takes a little time to get right, but it feels VERY nice when you do. Given that I valet park at least once a week in NYC, I HATE when the garage attendants mess with MY seat settings (which they seem to do at least 75% of the time). Having said that, one of the MUST HAVE features on my latest (and hopefully all future) car(s) was the power memory seats. If I get the SP on my next car, with the extra adjustability that the seats have, the Power/Memory option becomes even more imperative.

The remaining interior differences are basically cosmetic, I noticed that the Recirculate button on Stroumpf has two icons and lights, mine has one of each. I also noticed that the icons on the moonroof button are different. Last but not least, I noticed that the display on the sound system will show the time if you turn the system off on Stroumpf, however, when mine is off, it is ALL off.

Driving:
    Good news, the first item that I noticed was NOT how light the steering felt, it WAS how light the shifter felt (the 323i SP that I test drove back in 1999 was an automatic). I was surprised at how much easer the 325i tranny (Getrag) was to shift compared to my 328i (ZF). As for the steering, Brave1heart has had the steering retro-fit applied to Stroumpf, and if I think about it, it is a little lighter, but no less communicative than the original E46 steering in my 328i. For me, that would be no showstopper when shopping for my next car.

On the road, I did notice that Stroumpf was a little less powerful in any given gear when compared to my 328i, however, given the stats (listed below), Stroumpf gives a great accounting of herself, and begs to be revved when compared to the longer stroke 328i engine.

1999 328i -- Weight: 3197 -- HP: 193@5500 -- Torque: 206@3500
    2001 325i -- Weight: 3241 -- HP: 184@6000 -- Torque: 175@3500

In the twisties, Stroumpf was in her element, with the hunkered down suspension, stiffer roll bars and lower profile/stickier tires, she felt positively connected to the road. My 328i, while no slouch, seems to have just a slight lag while the higher profile tires bite and the body rolls, it is subtle, but it is there when compared to Stroumf. Given the quality of the roads here in the NYC area, I am still glad that I did not get the SP, however, it sure is fun to drive an E46 with it just the same.

Another item that surprised me was the “Engine Growl”, I am not quite sure why, but Stroumpf exhibits her wonderful Growl MUCH more frequently than my 328i. In my car, unless you are accelerating full-tilt-boogie up a freeway ramp, the engine growl is all but absent, even then, it is a decidedly different note, Stroumpf has a MUCH sexier voice.

Miscellaneous:
    Brave immediately noticed that the keys for our cars are different, mine is just a hunk of rubber on the end of the key shaft with three softer rubber buttons, the key for Stroumpf, on the other hand, is a stylized plastic end with a nice looking Roundel in the middle.

Door handles, what a weird thing to change. On my 328i, the door handles pull straight out from the body of the car, on Stroumpf, the door handles pull out AND arc up. Why the change?

Summary Part 1:
    All in all this has been a fun experiment so far, stay tuned for further reports.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hello Brad, just thought I would let you know, I JUST NOW got your E-Mail from Tuesday. Thanks for the kind words.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    I'm interested in hearing about the rest of your jaunts in Brave's BMW as I've been pondering whether to get myself into a New 325Ci or Certified Pre-Owned (Read: Used) 328Ci when the lease is up on my Saab next December.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I have a 325i w/ sp in black/black and love it. I've never driven a 328i- but did wonder about the power differences between the older and newer car. I believe they changed the door handle design because the original handles would sometimes "stick" in the open position.
    In the 325i- at highway speeds with your foot lightly on the pedal (to maintain even speed) did you notice a whistling noise. I have this noise on mine that drives me crazy-- it only happens above 60mph and only w/ light throttle. Almost sound like it could be the air being forced into a narrow opening and therefore whistling. If I give it more throttle, the nice deep engine sound returns.
  • cnorthrupcnorthrup Member Posts: 74
    I also was wondering about the fuse.

Also was wondering how to have the dealer program the alarm/disarm feature, i.e., "remote only" or "remote and using the key in the door"

As far as the other piece... if you go to the this link:

http://www.circlebmw.com/service/access/01219416538.htm

you will find the eom instructions where they talk about having to drill out your bracket if this piece was missing in the firewall.

I see now that you already went to that site...

I also have this piece and the extra fuse.

Do you see the picture where they show the firewall at the point where the bracket goes... I believe this piece would be needed if they forgot to install it?

I will be doing the job tomorrow so I guess I will find out.
    Hmmm, I did not notice any such whistling noise on Brave's 325i, I will check again later today, although, I am sure I would have noticed it if it had been there.

As for your noise, is it coming from the engine compartment or is it from elsewhere on the car body? If in the engine compartment, you might want to buy a cheap MicroCassette Recorder (I have seen Panasonic and Aiwa units in the low to mid twenty dollar range) and "duct tape" it in various places in the engine compartment, driving the car to the point where you hear the noise between each relocation of the recorder. That should help you localize the whistle, which should then help find the source.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ccchen1102ccchen1102 Member Posts: 30
    Fuse
    I did not use it, didn't know what it's for, might be a spare. Anyone knows???

Square metal with thread
    The hole on firewall is square, this piece fits into that hole then the bracket is threaded on it. You will understand what I am talking about after seeing the mounting area
    Shipo,

I noticed that you've posted a comparison and I am posting this before I've read your post. I want to be as unbiased as possible so I am posting the e-mail that I sent you this morning without editing. I am going to read your comments right after this post.

Thank you for giving me your car this morning. I am well on my way to Mexico and will be crossing the border in a few minutes. I should've told you that the Orient Blue 325i I presented to you this morning was stolen but I figured you'd find that out pretty soon when the cops get on your tail. I hope to be able to retire in Puerto Vallarta with the money I will get for your car :o)

Hey, I'm very happy that we were able pulled this off - I hope you are enjoying my car. First impressions on your 328:
    - the steering feels noticeably lighter than the 325's. I was very surprised - we should probably drive them back to back tomorrow night for better feel.
    - the 328 pulls a little faster at any speed and the biggest difference is probably in the lower RPM's - due to the 35 lb/ft torque advantage undoubtedly. It also seems to hesitate a little below 3K but it pulls faster once it gets its act together. It has a lot of mid-range punch and I noticed I didn't have to downshift nearly as much
    - the engine sound is more muted - I can almost tell what gear I am in when driving the 325 by the engine note (growl)
    - the sport pack make a huge difference in cornering IMO - let's see if you'll feel the same way about it. Please, do NOT be afraid to push it very hard in turns when it's dry - it loves that kind of work :o)
    - the seats are pretty comfortable but I feel like I'm sitting ON them instead of sitting IN them.
    - is the clutch a little lighter or it is just me???
    - the brakes kick in at a later point than my 325's - maybe because the pads are a little worn out at 32K miles??
    - fuel consumption blows my mind - I can get 30 mpg with the 328 while my 325 gets about 23 when driven the same way. Any ideas?
    - the 328 feels very solid - no rattles or clicking noises whatsoever!!! You will notice a persistent rattle from the 325's B-pillar on bad roads. It comes from the roof panel right above the seat belt anchor. I am having it fixed in two weeks.

I hope you're having a good day. I am taking the car out for a spin during my lunch break - hope you can do the same.
    It seems that we noticed many of the same things, the only difference of note is the feel of the steering, we can play with that one Friday night (can y'all tell we are both married?). ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Amazing - I thought the 325's retrofitted steering was heavier (I know it's hard to believe, I'm going by what I feel) and you thought it was slightly lighter. Will definitely have to drive them back-to-back tomorrow night.

The only whistling noise (barely audible) is at idle and only from outside when standing on the passenger side only. You may not be able to hear it but I know it's there.

Forgot to mention that I set the tires (when cold) to 32/35 F/R last night. Do you know what yours are set to? Feel free to change them to anything you'd like to see if the ride will be any different. It does ride smoother when the tire pressure is down to 30/32 F/R.

I also thought that shifting was smoother in the 325. You can pretty much go diagonally when downshifting from 5-th to 4-th while in the 328 you need to move the shifter slightly left at the halfway point.

BTW, are you sure we didn't swap the wives? I can't find mine, maybe you should check to see if yours is still around :o)
    Perhaps your wives got tired of coming 2nd to your cars, and choose to run off with each other? ;)
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    Nice experiment. Sounds like you guys are having a great time. :)

Dave: LOL!
    I guess that would be fair.
  • vinermanvinerman Member Posts: 2
    Riez,
    You are correct paint is not covered by the CPO warranty but my car has two years and 25,000 miles left on the new car warranty. I can't believe BMWNA allows a wrecked car to be certified and then exclude it from any part of the stated warranty. The certification list clearly has a section on bumpers and paint. Unfortunately I don't have a copy. If the bumper and paint were in good enough condition to pass the certification inspection how can they exclude it after the fact.
    Guys,

No clear indication of whose steering is heavier, I guess. You know that I'm dying to know. Next time I'll bring my "ultra-light" (IMO) July 2001 steering to your road test
    My car has about 150 miles on it and I have been very careful to keep the car under 4500 rpm as per the owners manual but at the same time varying the speed and rpm's. I use regular "drive" sometimes and then switch over to "Sports Mode" to give me higher shift points as a way of further varying rpm's.

Today I was in "Sports Mode" and I was entering the highway and had to stab the pedal a bit to fit in and the car surprised the daylights out of me at the way it took off. I looked at the tach and it was at about 4700-4800... Ouch!

I will be more carefull...

Do you think this "mistake" will cause me problems down the road???

Thanks,
    CNorthrup
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I made a similar mistake (threw it into 3rd vs. 5th) once, and so far no adverse side effect (~12k miles). That said, I wouldn't make a habit of it.
    Did you have your car retroed? Was you car built after the cut off for the retro?

One thing to consider regarding the steering between Stroumpf and my 328i is that Stroumpf is running 225 section width tires and I am running 205s. Certainly if both cars had identical manual steering, Stroumpf would feel like she had "Heavier" steering, I wonder if this might be a factor in the difference between Brave's perception and my own. Another factor is the speed of the vehicle when trying to get a feel for the lightness.

Stay tuned for further reports from your two loyal and intrepid reporters. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    By the way, a three way comparo sounds like fun. I know of a great Curry House in Westchester County that is about half way between Boston and DC, maybe we can all meet up there?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    You guys are making me wish I did a car swap. I guess when the weather improves I'll do it with my friend's Boxster.
    Brave-

I know the whistling noise that you're talking about when the car is idling. Its the fuel injector-- that's why you only hear it on one side. Its the loudest fuel injector i've ever heard. All E46s seem to have this noise.

Shipo/Brave-
    The whistling noise i'm talking about happens above 60mph (70 is better), with very little throttle. Just place your foot on the accelerator a little bit. it comes from the engine compartment. You may have to concentrate a bit to hear it-- to me it just jumps out (i do have relatively sensitive hearing)- but you may have to listen closely. Its not just wind noise- because it goes away if you remove your foot or press harder on the accelerator. It doesn't happen at idle in neutral- which leads me to believe that its not the engine itself or belts. My bet is on something about the air intake/ throttle. I think the wind rushing into the partially open throttle body at speed creates the noise. But, if it were that simple, all cars would make this noise under the same conditions. I've been thinking about trying the tape-recorder trick. I might stick it in that big open space at the top left of the engine compartment.

I'd appreciate it if you could try this on the 325i and listen to see if it happens. Above 70mph is best. BTW, its not very, very loud, but it should be noticeable if you pay attention. My dealer claims he can't hear anything- but i'm going to bring it to another dealer-- I KNOW i'm not hearing things. I had the car in Germany and at speeds over 100mph and part throttle it becomes much louder (as you'd expect if it was intake related). I think this experience may have "trained" my ear to the frequency of the noise and now I notice it all the time-- even w/ the radio on (the frequency just seems to slice through other ambient noise).

Regarding the seatbelt rattle:
    I had the same thing and it drove me nuts. The dealer couldn't fix it-- there is a TSB- but they said my car already had the same parts as specified in the TSB. I dismantled the pillar and placed self-adhesive felt in key locations-- the problem is now gone! I can try and describe what I did in more detail if you're interested.

Sorry for the long post.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    You may wish to wait a week until DerProfi gets back from picking up his 330i in Germany. He got a great deal from a DC area dealer. Unfortunately, I can't think of the name.
    I wouldn't think so either but it kind of scared me.

Do you agree that varying speed and rpm is a good idea? I would think the more the better.

I will keep the car in "regular" drive mode from now on when I am entering the highway.

Thanks,
    CNorthrup
    Both the manual an the dealer told me to vary speed and rpm for the first 1,200 miles. I thought my manual said 4k rpm, but mine's stick so that could be the difference.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Vinerman... Have you run a CarFax report on your specific car? Would be interesting to see what that might show. Have you asked to see the original service records? Talk to the original owner? Do you know for sure what happened to that area of the car or what might be causing the paint problem. (If you e-mail me the vin #, I can run the CarFax report. I have unlimited access till 1/22/02.)
    Dealer told me 4000 but my manual does say 4500.

I double checked after the salesman told me 4000.

I normally keep it under 4000.

I noticed with the step that it will work in a pretty narrow rpm range unless you play with it a bit.

Thanks,
    CNorthrup
    My car is an SA build produced in July 2001, so I assume I have the "original steering", but after I drove a 2000 323i loaner (identically equipped) from my dealer recently, I am convinced that I have a light steering.

My first reaction to the loaners steering when I drove it was "wow, this is heavy". My steering would pass your 1 finger test for sure, but that doesn't sound like Brave's steering to me. I would definately like to do a comparison with a 2001.

Ne
    A THEORY... (for what it is worth)

While I have not seen first hand the throttle body of the E46 (I assume there is a throttle body until such time as BMW introduces "Valvetronic" over on this side of the pond), however, having seen more than my share over the years, I have developed a theory that is if anything, a long shot.

Every throttle body that I have ever seen is essentially a "Butterfly" valve where a circularish shaped disk of some material (usually metal) is attached at its centerpoint to a rod (usually via screws). Most throttle bodies from German cars that I have seen have two throttle valves attached to the same rod, hence they both operate at the same time to restrict/allow airflow into the intake plenum.

I find myself wondering what one would hear if one of the little attachment screws has gone missing. Under low power conditions, there is probably not enough airflow to make any noise, under high power conditions, the valves would be rotated to allow maximum air to pass through the throat, and at the same time, the screws would be essentially perpendicular to the airflow and hence shielded from allowing any air of significant quantity to pass through them.

This leaves moderate throttle conditions such as a steady state cruise > 60mph. In this case, the Butterfly valves will be almost closed (valves almost perpendicular to the airflow) which would present the hole from the missing screw to the airflow. If said screw hole was just the right size, it could whistle.

Please remember, this is a long shot, but it might be worth taking a look.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Wait a second, i thought some cars should already have the firewall pre-threaded? If so, what is the square piece with thread use for then?

And what is the drilling for as well? Seems to me like there are 3 situations now:
    1. Thread exist
    2. use the square piece as a thread
    3. drill the hole.

Step 2 is never in the instruction? did they forgot about it?
  • efxxefxx Member Posts: 24
    Greetings,

I picked up my 2002 orient blue 325i a couple of weeks ago and am very happy (already put 600+ miles on it). Included are the premium package, cold packag, sand leather seats, and automatic (had to do it). I also got the dealer installed BMW alarm system. In the 2002 owner's manual on page 30 it claim's that the "panic" button is activated by depressing the "lock" button for 2-5 seconds; however, the actual panic button on my car is activated by depressing the "trunk release" button for 2-5 seconds. Suspecting that the dealership incorrectly wired or programmed my alarm system I went to the dealership to get this fixed but they insisted that owner's manual was wrong. I even called BMWNA who wasn't much help. The guy I was talking to referred to his 2001 owner's manual. While this is a very minor issue because I tested my alarm system and everything else seems to work I'd like to have everything working right on a 30+k car. So who's right? the owner's manual or the dealership? It just seems wrong to me that the panic button would be triggered by the trunk release button.
    The panic is on my 2001 325i manual says the trunk button. The lock button is used to lock, second push will disable the tilt and motion.

I think the manual for the 02 is wrong, and your dealer is correct.
  • efxxefxx Member Posts: 24
    Greetings,

What's your take on running your bimmer through an automatic car wash system. The owner's manual suggests that you clean your car once a week and use a brushless automatic car wash system if you choose to go that route. The winters in Boston can be brutal on cars in the excessive use of salt and sand to clear the roads (ever try to drive around a salt dispenser truck?) I'd much rather run my car through an automatic car wash system during the winter then standing in the cold washing my car esp. since a lot of the car washes have the "undercarriage wash" option to clear the salt and sand. What do you guys do to keep your car clean through the winter and if you use an automatic car wash and live in Boston which one do you recommend? TIA

p.s. I stay away from scrub-a-dub because there system just seems too harsh.
    I hope you're right about the wives. Shipo says he knows a lot of happening places - think about the good times we'd have driving around testing our Bimmers and wining and dining every night witout having to explain anything to the wives.