Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    is the horn installed? just a thought...

-nobee
  • Options
    zero2sixtyzero2sixty Member Posts: 3
    That is pretty embarrassing to be passed by a mini van :) ...well everyone..I have a similair story for all of you, which makes me pretty mad...I just purchased my M3 through the ED...got smoked by an E55 on the autobahn in Germany so I figureed well i was not realy trying hard (car was new etc...), so I get back to the states...while driving up here in northen cal (bay area...maybe some of you knwo the 280 freeway, if you want to speed that is were you do it) I have this new Acura 3.2 TL Type-S on my tail keeping up with me, I reached close to 130MPH+ and slowed down remembering that I am not on the autobahn the acura also slowed down, but I must say that I was impressed that teh ACURA was keeping up with me.. does anyone knwo if those cars have speed limitations in the US....
  • Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    From a stop a 318 can beat a mini van due to the weight difference. Now on top end speed the mini van might win out but, I sure wouldn't want to have to maneuver in the van above 70 mph.
  • Options
    I owned a 1991 318i with AT and boy was it a dog! my nod goes to the soccer mom minus the kids...=)

-nobee
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,483
    I was under the impression the M cars could not be ourches via European Delivery.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Not a chance, I drove that 318i 5-Speed several thousand miles, and I am telling you, our 3.8 Caravan is a lot faster off the line, 0-60, standing quarter mile AND on the top end.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    You can ED M cars, but there's no discount.
  • Options
    You can get an M3 via ED, however, you still have to pay full price.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    The individual who goes by the name of Madcloyd (Madeline) who was "Trolling" over on the MB C230 board the other day is active again. He/she is now Trolling over on the "BMW 330i vs. Audi A4 3.0", claiming to own a 330i with problems. Will he/she/it show up over here? Time will tell.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I really wish they could do something to ban these people. She told some outrageous story about these problems she was having with a C230K Coupe. A big waste of everyone's time.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Go over to the "Versus" board and check out what it has to say about its 330i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    asinger12asinger12 Member Posts: 3
    As far as I know tha horn is in...it honks
  • Options
    I read it right after you posted. Very cute story it has fabricated.

• Options
    wrjohnsonpghpawrjohnsonpghpa Member Posts: 53
    Go to BMWUSA.com and look at the standard features list for the model you are considering/interested in. Even without any package (e.g., SP, PP, CWP) on a 325i, you get the steering wheel controls, climate control, CD player, remote key access, map/reading lights, (power window and door locks), DSC, and much more that you would have to pay extra for on many other (although not directly comparable) cars.
  • Options
  • Options
    ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    Just read through madcloyd's posts. Funny stuff, actually. My guess is madcloyd works for Lincoln or Lexus and is attempting to dissuade people from buying German cars.

Typical madcloyd quote (I'm using hyperbole):

"So I was driving home in my 3-day old Mercedes/BMW/?, and it just exploded. That's right, it blew up in a million pieces and I was left sitting in the middle of the highway in my bucket seat holding the steering wheel AND NOTHING ELSE. When I called the dealership, they told me to go straight to hell and I can't have any coffee when I get there, either. Has anyone else had this problem?"

A troll, yes, but an amusing and frighteningly obvious one.
  • Options
    to see how madcloyd will react! too funny. btw, what is a troll and what is their purpose on these boards?

-nobee
  • Options
    mb595mb595 Member Posts: 17
    Unless you are looking for a three season car for performance only the sport package can be skipped. It adds cornering ability at a sacrifice of comfort and winter traction.

The winter package consists of two major options a split folding rear seat and heated seats. Heated seats are a personal preference item and depends on what climate you live in. I was forced to get them living in the NE and have ended up enjoying the option despite myself. The usefulness of a folding rear seat depends on what you intend to use the car for. If you are into skiing the winter package is a must as this is the only way to fit more than two and skis.

The premium package covers three main options: moonroof, wood trim and power seats w/driver memory. Moonroof is personal choice either you love them or not. The wood trim is a serious asthetic plus no matter what your taste. The power seats depend on whether it is one driver car or not. One driver can live with the manual seat which adjusts fine but takes awhile. The power seats allow you to adjust mirror and seat with touch of a button which is a tremendous benefit for two or three drivers.

Don't forget unless you want non-metallic black, white or red it will cost you 500 for the paint job.

Also the leather isn't worth it unless you have to have a special interior color.
  • Options
    abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    The biggest thing that sold me on the SP was the seats and steering wheel. The sports seats just hold you much better. I also find it much easier driving a 3-spoke steering wheel instead of the standard 4-spoke - those extra spokes at the 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions just seem get in the way. The wider tires and the cool wheels on the 330i didn't hurt either.
  • Options
    mb595mb595 Member Posts: 17
    I drive in most days from NJ. Driving around town is very frustrating due to traffic and parking issues. The best way to use the car is to get in and park it at a garage, if you are in before 10am most garages have specials that are the 8-20 a day. The cheapest will on the extreme east or west side. Usually I will bring the car in and walk to work, if we are doing dinner and a I show I will park over near the theather and take subway to and from work. The big benefit of the car is a serious savings of commute time if it is not rush two hour when traffic is insane.

If you are coming into town at night try to time it. Parking opens on most streets at 7pm although in the Village and Soho there is some 5 and 6pm parking. You must get their pretty close to the permitted time or it fills up. Unually plan to arrive 15mintutes early, stop and get out at 5 minutes till if there no meter maid around.

At night from theather district public trans to my house takes an hour plus walk and wait, by car 30 minutes total, makes all the difference in quality of life. Not to mention comfort.
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Some trolls are very amusing. They all seem to be fascinated by 0-60 times and top speed and love Japanese cars. I am yet to see a troll that favors German cars or even a Mustang.
  • Options
    mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    I have a story about getting passed.

A few years ago on RAGBRAI (10,000 people riding bicycles across Iowa), I was passed by Tom Arnold! Yes, the over weight sloppy comedian, Tom Arnold!

I'm no slouch on a bike, either, having 45,000 miles under my belt and countless 20-25 mph group rides, so of course I was shocked.

Can anyone top that?

-murray
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I really wish they could do something to ban these people.

So do we.

The thing is that the only surefire way to keep someone out of here is by blocking their IP address. However, most ISP's these days use dynamic addresses so that you have one address today and a different one tomorrow. So in that case you have to block the whole ISP.

Well, you can see that at that point you've blocked a ton of good folks along with the one problem.

Bobbyknight came up with the ONLY workable solution in a post in that comparison topic. Do not respond.

The person is here to attract attention, i.e. get responses. If the person gets no responses, the person has no fun, gets bored and goes away. If the person gets even one response, the person finds that encouraging because he/she got what she wanted - attention!

I know this seems somewhat counter-intuitive, especially when someone really aggravates you, but trust me - this really is the only way to get rid of trolls.

I too wish things were different. But the reality is for things to be "different" we'd probably have to go private and charge membership fees. None of us in the Town Hall want to do that.

Hope this helps - and I do understand how you feel, believe me!!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    zero2sixtyzero2sixty Member Posts: 3
    I agree
  • Options
    ubrsfubrsf Member Posts: 51
    Do the back passenger window switches illuminate on the 330i when the lights are on? Mine don't. Are they supposed to or not? Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    mazeppamazeppa Member Posts: 2
    I have owned a 2001 325 with A/T since May, 2001. I have read that a lot of people think that the 325i is too slow so they buy a 330 instead. I have found the 325 to have plenty of power and the car will cruise on the interstates well beyond the speed limits. I had thought about getting a five speed but decided on an automatic because I do a lot of city driving. The Steptronic shifts beautifully so I have no regrets on going with an automatic. My car stickered at $32,535 and I feel it is a lot of car for the money. I seen several postings on TH from people who bought something different because they condidered BMW's overpriced. BMW's historically have excellent value because they are sold with little or no discounts off MSRP. On the other hand I often see Nissan dealers (for example) selling Maxima's at four or five thousand dollars off MSRP. I learned a lesson when I sold a Ford p/u truck a year ago. What you don't pay at the time of purchase, you do not get back when you decide to sell. It's hard to unload a late model used car when the manufacturer is dumping thousands of dollars in incentives to make a sale.
  • Options
    ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    I also have a 330i and the backseat window switches don't illuminate on mine either. Don't know whether they're supposed to, but given that we have the same experience I'd guess not.
  • Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    The Retrofit M Aerodynamic Kit for the E46 sedan is P/N 51 71 0 139 650 for cars without PDC. The price is $997.50, this does not include paint or installation. The deck lid spoiler is P/N 51 71 7 894 050 ($132.00). Also realise that this does not include fenders. They are available but i don't know where. I would not get the badging because I feel that if I owned a M3, I would not want to see a fake. I think it also cheapens the model. If you want an M3, buy an M3. I like the agressiive look of the Alpina, M-series, Racing Dynamics and Hamann. There are a lot aero kits out there, it is just a matter of what you like
  • Options
    abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    I suppose one can find it challenging and exciting to play chicken with the cabbies. But I find even if the traffic is light, and that's a big if, you really can't open up driving in the city. I'm talking predominately about Manhattan, how fast can you really drive on the FDR or West Side Highway ? Once you get outside of the city, it can be more enjoyable on the parkways to upstate.
  • Options
    castinstonecastinstone Member Posts: 12
    Suppose one lives in Florida, but purchases the car from a dealer NJ, for example, what are the rules regarding taxes and tags WRT bringing the car back home? Are NJ taxes paid? FL taxes? And the tag -- does one get a temp. FL tag to drive the car back?

Thanks
  • Options
    In 1993, I leased a new car from a New Jersey dealership, however, I was still a resident of Illinois, as such, the dealership contacted the Illinois Secretary of State, and arranged to pay for the Title, Registration and Sales Tax directly with them. So, when my new car rolled out of the New Jersey dealership, it had Illinois plates, registration, and Title.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    rear window light switches that illuminate, so far as I can remember. With respect to 3 series of course.
  • Options
    postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    He has had the revised prices posted for a long time. But, he left the old pricing up also. You've got to be careful and click on the right link. The old pricing link is more prominent, IMO, and I went there first, too. The link to the new pricing begins with "REVISED ...".
  • Options
    rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    mazeppa, I agree with your point on the power of the 325i. I think the driving experience boils down to the refinement of the design. While the additional power of the 330 is very nice, BMW designs its car so that the driving characteristics of the cars remain essentially consistent. If you are satisfied with the engine of the 325i, you haven't compromised in your choice.
    I started out looking to purchase a 330 sedan and later decided to order the sportwagon (with the 2.5 engine the only choice), since it fits our family needs better. My initial concern about its lack of power quickly dissipated after numerous test drives. I could have also chosen the Audi A4 3.0 Avant or the IS 300 Sportcross. Both have much more power, but in my view are not as refined as a driving machine. I picked up the wagon last week and have been very happy with it.
    I am amazed the similar "feel" of this wagon in comparison with our other bimmers in the family, despite all its more updated technology incorporated in this newest version.
  • Options
    hpmanhpman Member Posts: 33
    Thanks postoak, I feel a little silly now. I had been to the link you referred to and only seen the regular MSRP price list. On your advise, I decided I had better check again. Oops, I didn't scroll down to the second page!

Thanks for your help!
    HPMan
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    I think that the AT is great, though many here will fight you to death on this one. After having driven manuals all my life, I can see why an AT would turn people off. In Auto mode, this tranny will try and maximize fuel efficiency, therby shifting to a higher gear whenever it gets a chance. This kind of gives the car an out of control, going to fast for the environment type of feeling (IMO). However, when you get used to driving the step, this problem is resolved and one can shift just like a manual tranny (much smoother and clutchless). At first I too thought that the step was a gimmick and that I would never use it. Now that's all I use and the Auto is all my wife uses.

I agree with you regarding the power of the 325 and am glad I did not get tempted by the 330. I barely use the power in the 325 unless I get on the highway for some long cruising.
  • Options
    butmywifebutmywife Member Posts: 81
    Castinstone: As a native Floridian transplanted to the Northwest I can tell you if I buy a car in Oregon (no state tax) and bring it up to Washington (.079%) I must pay WA taxes on the car. They nail you when you go to register and licence it. Or, like Shipo said, the out-of-state dealer just takes care of everything. However, anything but cars is usually fair game so many people hit the Oregon trail for big ticket items to avoid the state tax.

Shipo: Ya, I got the itch. Got it pretty bad. I'm scratchin' but it's still itchin'.

jpnwdc: According to BMWNA the 325 premium package has been upgraded to have 8-way power seats for all 325s produced as of March 1, 2002. (They used to have 6-way seats). Questions: Anybody know what the additional two movements provide? Lumbar? Magic fingers? Ejector seat?
  • Options
    mishmanmishman Member Posts: 5
    I've read the other comments on the BMW rack vs. the Thule. I have a new 325ix coming in soon and need to fit a tandem bike rack on it. I'd like to take it off when not needed during biking season (and in the winter). Is one rack easier to take off then the other? Is is a two person job to avoid any mishaps. Anyone have experience with a tandem rack. Does the Thule tandem rack fit on the BMW cross pieces? Any guidance would be appreciated. Can't wait for the car to arrive!
  • Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Well, my wife has been telling me for years that I don't believe anything I haven't seen myself.

I guess next time I'm at a light next to a
    Caravan I'll go coffee can racer and try get them to go for it.
  • Options
    BMW has most likely added the same lumbar support as on my 328i, which not only has the traditional "In/Out" motion, it has an "Up/Down" motion as well. When I first got the car, I set the lumbar so perfectly that I actually forgot that there was a lumbar adjustment on the seat.

Accordingly, one of my largest concerns with ordering my 530i with SP was the fact that the SP seats DO NOT come with said lumbar adjustment.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    The eight way is fore and aft, up and down, tilt and backrest(fore and aft). Lumbar is with the sport seats. The other seat adjustments are the head rest (up and down, tilt back and fore). I just my car missed the seats by two measly months. What part of Florida are you from. I lived in Homestead and Miami for 10 years and attended college at FSU. I guess that makes me a semi native.
  • Options
    The only Caravans that have the 3.8 as standard equipment are the "ES" models and any "AWD" model. We have a limited production "Sport" with the 3.8, and we were only able go get it because Chrysler was running low on their supply of 3.3 liter mills at that time. As a result, they offered the 3.8 as a $250 option for something like 6-9 months only, which ran from near the end of the 1998 model year through much of the 1999 model year.

I have driven other Caravans with the 3.3 and the 3.0, and by comparison, they are dogs.

Consider the following:

BMW 1.8 liter engine -- HP: 138@6000 -- Torque: 133@4300
    Dodge 3.8 liter engine -- HP: 180@4400 -- Torque: 240@3250

318i (A) -- 3042 lbs. -- 22.04 lbs/hp -- 22.87 lbs/foot pound
    318i (M) -- 2954 lbs. -- 21.41 lbs/hp -- 22.21 lbs/foot pound
    Caravan -- 3949 lbs. -- 21.93 lbs/hp -- 16.45 lbs/foot pound

As you can see, the HP to Weight ratio shows the Caravan 3.8 slotted between the Automatic and 5-Speed 318i, however, the HP is available at a much lower RPM. That leads me to the torque numbers; the 3.8 with its massive (relatively speaking) torque value down at 3250 RPMS gives the Caravan 3.8 a huge advantage off the line.

That said, now you can see why this thing is something of a sleeper. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    Why are we talking about Caravans? I have one, a regular length sport model, with the 3.3. It is more than torquey (is that a word?) enough without a load, for most driving conditions,...but I'd feel silly racing any car in it.

The real comparison is between a 318i and a 325i. And IMHO, it isn't a comparison. The 318i is an outright dog. If you have a manual, you have to keep those revs really high to get any kind of performance. The auto is so slow, I had a girl at work who drives a Civic say that she test drove one and "It was really kind of slow". And she thinks her Civic is fast. This was back in the mid '90's. My brother traded a 1997 318i w/Auto on a 323i w/step. I couldn't believe the difference, not to mention the feature content.

One last point. Most of the E36 318's I've seen on the road (my brother's included) were near strippers: 15" wheels w/hub caps, no sun roof, no armrest/console, no CD player, no fog lights, and no stability control or electronic driving aids (I don't think this was offered on the E36 318, but I'm not 100% sure of this), and far inferior leatherette than the current version. Those are the main reasons that I decided not to buy a BMW during the '90s. I couldn't afford a 328, and the 318 was just not enough car. BMW finally realized (w/the E46) that American driving conditions just don't lend themselves to smallish, low torque 4-cyl engines in sporty cars - no matter how refined they are.

I don't often give advice on this Board - because there are many people here who know more than me - but don't even consider a used 318i. Wait a year and save your money for a used 328 or 323. Every 318 owner I've talked to, and even some on this Board, couldn't wait to trade their 318's for a 6-cyl.
  • Options
    Thanks for getting me back on track, yes, you are correct; there is no comparison between the E36 version of the 318i and the I6 equipped BMWs sold here in here in the USA. That said, my curiosity has been “Piqued” by the ValveTronic four bangers that BMW has put in the non-US E46.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I agree that the parkways are a lot more fun. But getting it up in the 80's on FDR and 70's on Park Ave should not be a problem with light traffic. Again, most of the time that I've spent in Manhattan has been on weekends, so my knowledge of the traffic there is very skewed.
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    Could anyone confirm whether the Prem Pkg includes leather on those 8-way lumbar-support seats? Also, the onboard computer is relatively an inexpensive add-on--do you think it's really useful? I usually compute my own MPG & as long as the AC/heat works, don't care if I know the real temp outside. I'd ask about the xenons but there was alotta talk somewhere around msg# 14000 so I'll just review that. :-) I'm still debating the moonroof. I've always had one, maybe should keep the tradition going in sunny so. calif. As if price were no object, but it is.
  • Options
    Every Euro 4-cyl I've driven w/automatic has felt under powered except the Audi 1.8T in the old A4. Audi really worked the torque curve to put the power in the lower part of the range, where most American drivers can use it. In normal driving (pull outs, city stuff, and gradual acceleration), I could not feel the turbo. But, in spirited driving on back roads, I could tell it had turbo lag - not like my friend's Saab 9-3, or a Volvo, but it was there. That turned me off, and back to BMW's I-6.

I also am intrigued by the ValveTronic. But, I like smoothness, and 4's are never as smooth as a 6 cyl. Actually, our old Subaru Forester had a 168HP 4-cyl, boxer-style engine that felt very smooth, but it got bogged down with 4 passengers in the car.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    I'm told it depends on the trim. On 325, leather isn't part of the PP, while on 330, it is. If you plan on getting at least 2 of the items on the package, then the package is usually the better deal.

I live in NoCal, and I use my moonroof a lot. It really helps in cooling the car down before you get in it.
  • Options
    Leather is included in the 330i PP, but not in the 325i PP. The 325i PP also includes the armrest/console, which is included in the base 330i, and otherwise unavailable on the 325i from the factory.

I find sunroofs to be a totally subjective preference. I have one now, my first, but I rarely open it due to the climate in which I live. I also hate the sun beating down through the open window in the summer - it makes the car really hot. I can live without it in my next car. That said, some people don't consider it a car unless it has a sunroof.

To summarize on xenons (and that takes some liberty), I think the general consensus was that they provide better visibility of varying degree (depending on who you talk to), if you can stomach the relatively steep price. I'm going to get them.

Trip Computer: I have this on my Maxima and my Caravan. I think it is a total gimic. You're driving down the road and watching your MPG change as you go - I rely on a gas pump and a calculator to figure my MPG. I occasionally use the thermometer - but I don't think I'd miss it. And also, the 3-series has a an annoying beeper that alerts you if the outside temp gets to/below 38 degrees. If you're driving on a 40 degree day through sun and shade that can drive you crazy - and I don't think it can be disabled (somebody help me out on that one?).

IMO the two best things in the PP are the armrest/console and the power memory seats. Some people think the wood is to-die-for, but I like the silver trim better with the black interior. Everything else is a throw-away, again, IMHO.
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    "I thought finsky was the local currency unit in kominsky's township. It's worth a bushel of wheat, a small chicken, a dozen eggs, or a quarter pounder (no cheese)."

LOL!

My wife and cousin (same person) was offended by that statement. She said you left inflation out of the equation. A finsky is currently worth a quarter-pounder WITH cheese!