Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    danhugdanhug Member Posts: 5
    I noticed a few messages about these stickers. I also do not like them and when I tried to peel them off I noticed that I was going to regret it so let them be. Question -Has anybody seen BMW logo stickers that can be applied on top of them in any of the car magazines? If you have not but own or know someone that owns a print shop, there is some money to be made...
  • Options
    alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    Come on, don't be afraid, peel that sucker off!, but slowly. The sticker that was on my wood trim on the passenger side was plastic and it came off very easily and didn't leave any glue marks. If you have any stickers that leave glue marks, the best thing to use is Bestine. This is a rubber cement thinner that does wonders for glue marks and will NOT harm ANY type of finish because it evaporates into the air super fast! You can buy Bestine at any art supply store. Just make sure you use a SOFT cloth like an old flannel shirt or cotton T-shirt. Never use a paper towel on your car unless you are just cleaning the windows. Paper towels WILL scratch all kinds of finishes because it is pretty rough compared to cotton or flannel. Flannel is great for buffing out wax, and is reccommended by detailers because it is super soft! I always have Bestine around the house for all types of sticker-glue removal.
  • Options
    denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    Motorweek also recently did a review of the WRX Imprezza and gave it a pretty solid thumbs up. That thing squeezes 227 HP and 217 ft/lb of torque out of a turbo H-4, and supposedly handles like a dream -- all for $25K. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds!! Wow!

The down side, of course, is that the WRX is ugly as heck. But still, that's a lot of performance for that price.

Motorweek airs in my area on Thursday night at 8:30, and I am looking forward to seeing this week's review of the 330xi. Anyone interested can also check out Motorweek reviews at www.motorweek.org. The 330xi review isn't up yet, and I suspect will not be until after this week's show has finished airing.
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I put on 500 miles with my 325i SP manual during our trip from Boston to the Big Apple and NJ this weekend. The big news is that the Shtroumpf Muscle is officially broken in and I had the opportunity to taste the sweet power above the forbidden 4,500 RPMs on a few occasions. The torque and power delivery is smooth and addictive at that engine speed. Surprisingly, the noise level is about the same or just a tad more than that at 3,500 RPMs. I only exceeded 4,500 RPMs briefly on a couple of occasions during the break-in period. However, I was routinely flooring the gas pedal, in spite of BMW's recommendations not to use full throttle. There are a couple of different theories on that. The one that I am inclined to believe in is that if you drive the car too smoothly during the break-in period, the cylinder walls will end up being too smooth for their own good, which may result in loss of power over time. Varying speed and throttle response may actually be better for the engine long-term. At any rate, I would have not been able to drive the car like a Sunday driver for 1,200 miles and the most important thing is that I think it is now well broken-in and getting better.
    I logged average fuel consumption of 26.1 mpg - mostly highway but also a couple of hours of city driving and about 60 miles on NJ back roads. And this remarkable mileage was achieved in mostly pouring rain and/or the AC running and/or above-average speed and/or some city driving. Couple of minor complaints about the car: The windows fog up VERY easily when raining or even when it is very humid. Turning on the AC for 10 secs or so takes care of it but I found myself doing that every 5 min during pouring rain. Does anyone have any recommendations about products that prevent the windows from fogging up?? There's gotta be sth like Rain-X or one of those. The ride gets a little lumpy and noisy with the SP over grooved pavement and very uneven roads but the car still handles like a champ on any surface. My wife slept through most of the trip and she said she had not felt any discomfort even on grooved pavement and that the SP was not more uncomfortable than her old Jetta. I am fine with the ride and if my passengers are as well, I can't complain. One more thing: I was hearing a barely audible clicking noise from the seat belt tensioner on the driver's side. It was on and off and not loud enough to bother me but I'll probably have the dealer take a look at it whenever I bring the car in for service. I also have to mention that the 325i exceeded my expectation for handling on wet surface by a long shot. Even with almost an inch of standing water and going significantly faster than the rest of the traffic, the car only once or twice pulled slightly to the direction of the puddle. The tires never slipped during hard acceleration at any speed or aggressive cornering in rain. The Quattro in our A4 was impeccable in similar conditions but not enough for me to justify AWD for heavy rain alone. See, snow and/or ice might be a very different story.

Well, acceleration seems to be getting even better, the throttle response is quicker and just about everything is smoother. It's been a total of 1,500 very happy miles. I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it all over again.
  • Options
    jmochel1jmochel1 Member Posts: 8
    I've wanted a Bimmer for as long as I can remember. I can't afford a new 3 series so I've been looking at the 'certified' '99s that have come off lease.

I need a car, however, that will hold up for 120-150,000 miles. I drive 20,000 a year and want to keep the car at least 5 or 6 years. (scheduled service, oil changes, etc. aren't an issue - major repairs are).

The certified's have a 100,000 mile warranty so that's some comfort. What are everyone's thoughts?
  • Options
    Tire pressure: both the manual and driver's side door recommends 30/35 F/R for a 325i SP. I am using 31/34 F/R and I like it much better than the 31/32 that my dealer had set when I picked up the car.

Oil change: don't worry about it. Just bring the car in for service when the number approaches zero.

Kleen Wheels: I think Alp has a good system going on. Mine is primitive: I bought a natural bristle 3" paint brush and I brush off the wheels once a week. Takes just a couple of minutes and it works fine for me.
  • Options
    It's very hard to recommend investment allocations - it all depends on your debt level, how much risk you can stomach, how much you are willing to lose, time horizon and plenty more. I have had a great track record - routinely beat the S&P 500 index by 20-30% a year for the past 3-4 years but it may have been luck and one of these days I will probably have my butt whipped. Anyhow, I believe with about 80% certainty that the Nasdaq Composite will hit 2,900 by the end of the year and with about 60% certainty that it will retest the lows at 1,600 next year when we go into recession. Currently, I am fully invested, mostly QQQ (the nasd 100 tracking index) - stock and call options. I have no debt, don't own a house, and have a steady income so I'm conformable with this level of risk. However, I would recommend against individual securities right now - there is too much earnings risk and it's safer to stay with QQQ. In your situation I'd think it is better to reduce the school loans significantly before taking on serious investment risk. If you are disciplined, though (No 1 priority in investing), you can get QQQ now, sell them by mid-October, and pay down debt w/o looking back for a while. Good luck.
  • Options
    johnson36johnson36 Member Posts: 3
    I recently asked the same question about stickers. Followed Alpine's advise and the sticker came right off with no glue marks. Knowing the sticker was plastic and not paper was an important piece of information. Being plastic the sticker holds together as you are pulling it off. As he advised me, start in the upper right hand corner...and voila...a lovely wood trim with no ugly sticker!
  • Options
    bmwagonmasterbmwagonmaster Member Posts: 150
    1. RainX makes a great defogger
    2. The seatbelt tensioner ticking noise is well known from previous posts here (I think) and on bimmer.org. There doesn't seem to be a clear solution, because replaced tensioners made same noise. Mine does it too, but I don't really notice it anymore unless I "try" to hear it.
  • Options
    cccmdcccmd Member Posts: 9
    Anyone here ever taken delivery of their new BMW at the performance center in South Carolina? If so, did you enjoy it?
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I do think the 3-series is such a car. I purchased a certified 3-series, with the same intent--getting to 200K+ miles on the car with relatively heavy use ). So far, i have no reason to think this will be a problem. I have been impressed by 10+ year old BMW's that looked like farily new cars. The engines routinely reach very high miles in good shape.

I think a lot of people who complain about BMW's being fussy high mileage cars do it for a few specific reasons:
    1. The modify their cars, which makes the cars finicky, especially if you use cheap stuff.
    2. They skimp on maintainence and repairs. Do *all* the scheduled work, and do it right. Have repairs dome properly. It will require laying funds down periodically, but if you keep the car for a few extra years because it's in good shape, think of all the money you've saved in payments!
    3. They drive the cars beyond the bounds of normal use ( high for a bimmer, but bottoming the car out is *bad* )

4. dave
  • Options
    gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    Finally !!
    Depending on when it went 112, it will be a finished car in 1-2 weeks!
  • Options
    I didn't know what to do with the sticker when I picked up the car but it was so ugly and out of place that I really wanted it off. My wife pealed it off in about 10 secs and there was no mark whatsoever. Just go for it, you don't need any cleaning solution or anything - it comes off really easy.
    Has anyone pealed off the airbag stickers on the visors? I think I'm taking those off too.
  • Options
    brave: It sounds like your car is breaking in nice. Mine has 5000 miles already and is smooth as silk, smoother compared to the first 1000. It's funny, it always seems to rain on Memorial Day weekend, just like clockwork. Johnson36: I'm glad the sticker came off just as easily as mine did. when I noticed it was plastic, I said to myself: man! the Germans were cool enough to make it plastic and not paper. Every time I find something on the car that is unique and unusual, I say: man! those Germans think of everything!Bmwagonmaster: Thats interesting, I have the same ticking noise coming from the passengers seat belt tensioner but it is so minor that it's ok with me,(so far). Thanks for the Rain-x tip, I too need help with the defogging as Brave1heart mentioned earlier. Ok, here we go, I went down to my local Ford dealer, pulled into the lot, Flags everywhere, tons of people, big barbeque goin on, everybody chillin and grillin. I wanted to see what the new Mustang GT was like, so I got to test drive one. Beautifull looking muscle car, especially in the Mineral Grey. Looked great, felt horrible! I was suprised! but then again, everything else seems cheap compared to the BMW. Seats were nice, steering was heavy feeling, accelleration was slow and rough feeling because the 260 horsepower is only really felt between 4000 and 6000 RPM's. No low to midrange torque at all! DUH! At first I asked the salesman why the car was going so slow with the accellerator halfway down, I thought the parking brake was still on! No immediate response from the foot pedal! The brakes felt rough and clunky. The exhaust note was ok, but nothing near a performance tone. The handling was real nice going around corners, but that was the only good thing about this car. The car is just a clunky ford that is assembled at light speed with inferior materials and no cohesiveness just like the F-bodys (camaro-firebird). When I got back in my car, it was like a breath of fresh air, and the acceleration was way quicker and way smoother! BMW wins again! :o)
  • Options
    bavarian, you have correctly answered the first trivia question. Dachau is the place that platypus and his wife visited first after they picked up their car in Munich. As the first poster to have correctly answered a trivia question, your name will be engraved with golden letters and M trim in the 3-series Discussion Board VIRTUAL Hall of Fame.

You also get to ask the next trivia question. Do I see corporate sponsors lining up to fund the winners?
  • Options
    I hear you - the 3-series is the best blend of sport and luxury in an everyday car. The Mustang should be a fun weekend car, esp. if it is a ragtop and in SVT trim.
    Funny you should mention that the 3-series pulls fast. You know, I still can't gauge how fast I'm pulling away in this car sometimes. I know I'd downshift it and punch it at speed and then I look in the mirror five secs later - everything's smooth, all right - and the car that was on my tail is like 7-8 car lengths behind me. It must be faster than it feels or I wouldn't know how to explain the fact that I gain ground so fast w/o really feeling it in my stomach.
  • Options
    I re-read your previous post on the tire pressure and I was surprised that you use 42 psi for the rears. This seems too high - the manual has the 325 at 30/35 with a max of 35/42 when you have passengers and luggage (heavy loads). It should be OK but from what I know, excessive tire pressure will make the car more bouncy in turns and the overall ride will be more unconformable. Just a thought...
  • Options
    roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    Hi Gurumike. Hope you had a nice Memorial Day Weekend in Cali.
    Can you please check on the status of my car? It's the 330 xi, 5 sp, black/black, PP, SP, CWP, X, CD going to Freeport, NY. I ordered it 4 weeks ago and it's still "on order." Even if the car is in 112 status, does it still say "on order" on Owner's Circle?

Thanks
  • Options
    Gurumike-

THANKS Mike!!! Finally some progress! DO you think there is ANY chance I can take delivery in June before the 5.9% financing expires?

Roc - Since we ordered week 25 cars on the same exact day and mine just went 112, I am crossing my fingers that your has too!! We've been together on this from day one, so I hope we can take delivery at the same time.
  • Options
    Although you guys have driven these cars a lot more than me (my experience being limited to driving my father in law's 1999 328 Cic and test drives in a few 330s and 325s) I think keeping the car's torque curve in mind really helps one strategize well in shifting.

According to what I have read, the 330 delivers 90% of its max torque (which is 214 ft/lbs) at 1500 rpm, reaches peak torque at 3500 rpms, and keeps delivering peak torque through 4500 rpms. I am not sure how torque drops after 4500 on the 330, and I am not sure how different your 325 and 323 would be in terms of overall torque delivery.

As you both know, the torque band I just described is incredibly broad. It allows one to use higher gears earlier for better gas mileage, but also allows one to use lower gears at higher revs for better acceleration.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    My car still reads "On Order" on bmwusa.com's Owner's Circle, despite the fact that is it now 112.

I think it has to be 150 to move to the next stage on the website.

Also, keep an eye out for the Motorweek review of the 330xi. According to lewparker, they rate the 330xi at 6.2 seconds in the 0-60, which is a full half second faster than I have seen anywhere else, and faster even than the 330i. Apparently they say that better traction off the line gives the xi the edge.

Actually, come to think of it, MotorTrend rated the 330xi at 5.8 seconds a few weeks back, but I had written it off as a typo. Hmmm....
  • Options
    lewparker1lewparker1 Member Posts: 21
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with Brave on this one, and I know it's WOT. Nevertheless, as a CPA, I can't recommend paying down student loans. Student loan debt is good debt. It's an investment in what you are and what you will be. It is low interest debt and it is also tax deductible interest. My own view is that you would be better off investing your salary as a resident and your wife's salary in a combination of real estate and stocks.

For stocks, if you're starting out I would recommend index funds. Vanguard has a host of funds that can suit any investment goal. Investing decisions should be made based on your investing time frame. If you have a long-term goal, invest in something fairly aggresive like Vanguards Index Growth fund. I would avoid individual stocks or the Nasdaq index until you have a few well diversified indexed mutual funds. Then you can have some fun by investing in individual stocks. FWIW, that's the approach that I've taken and I've been fairly successful, although I can't say I've bested the S&P500. Since I'm investing for my retirement, I'm not interested in beating the S&P, as long as I keep pace I'll be in good shape in the end.

I also think it's not a real good idea to try to predict what's going to happen in the stock market or the economy at large in the next 6 months or year or whatever. There have been people trying that approach forever and very few ever succeed. IMHO, the concept of dollar cost averaging is the best approach for long term growth. Invest for the long term and don't worry about what's happening this year or next.

Back on topic:

My boat docks today and the car should be at the dealer by the end of this week, or early next week! I spent a couple of hours clearing out a space in my garage for the car this w/e, I can't hardly believe that by this time next week I should be driving a brand new bimmer - what a thrill that's going to be!
  • Options
    Denright, I saw Motorweek on Saturday at 4pm. I also live in Maryland, but I have the satellite feed of PBS, which is not MPT but a national PBS station. I may have been a bit off on the numbers, but I'm pretty sure it was close to 6.2 for the quarter. They really seemed to like the car, and had all the usual compliments for the 330. Sounds like you ordered a great car, and it looks like it's finally in the production pipeline. It usually takes a couple of days for OC to be updated.
  • Options
    Most student loans are charging about 8% interest these days, though variable rates will be dropping dramatically in the coming months.

At 8%, this is not particularly cheap money. My mortgage and my cars have significantly lower rates. Thus, if one feels inclined to pay down debt, student loans are a good place to look (assuming that the person has already paid off any and all credit card debts).

Of course, it is important to remember that one can get a return of at least 10% on some investments with very low risk. Municipal bonds, for example, routinely deliver returns in this range with very very low risk. This return would more than offset the interest one is paying on student loans, and would be a net positive to your bottom line.

I think one benefit to paying off debt that some people don't necessarily take into account is monthly cash flow. Basically, for me, it comes down to this. If I can get a big year end bonus that will allow me to pay off a loan in entirety -- thus removing that loan from my list of payments I have to make every month -- I consider doing it. I have done this a few times since I graduated from law school. Such a move creates an immediate benefit to my monthly cash flow, which allows me to direct my resources with greater flexibility.

On the other hand, simply throwing an extra $100 per month at a loan strikes me as spitting in the wind. Doesn't change your monthly payment obligation, and that money would have yielded a better return if it had been invested.

All IMHO.
  • Options
    I am assuming my car went 112 a couple days ago. How long does it take to go from 112 to the dealership in everyone's experience? I am on the east coast (Maryland) and I know my car is being built in Germany (as all 330xis are).

I am realy hoping I can take delivery by or before June 30 to take advantage of the 5.9% financing.
  • Options
    sierra58sierra58 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone--I'm interested in opinions regarding the 2001 325xi wagon--specifically, do you feel it's a good combination of the BMW driving experience with practical considerations such as Colorado weather, transporting dogs, etc.? Or do the lack of power (due to added weight of AWD and only 184 hp), limited cargo area and high price make this model a poor choice? Would we be better off getting something else as our "practical" car and saving our BMW money for another model (perhaps the 330xi).

Also, if most of our driving is in slow city traffic does it make more sense to get a BMW in the Steptronic--how much of the BMW experience do you sacrifice?

I appreciate any input you may all have on these questions. Thanks.
  • Options
    Brave1heart: You're right my psi should be 30/35 min, 35/42 max with people and luggage, duh, I read the sticker wrong, you know the old saying: haste makes waste. Now you know why I SHOULD'NT be a mechanic! :o) Good thing I left that field. Thanks for pointing that out! Denright: Thanks for the torque specs, and the "higher gears earlier for better gas mileage" and "Lower gears at higher revs for better acceleration". That is a broad range which is much more usable for everyday driving. I've been driving 350 motors too long, L98, LT1, LS1, etc.. so I'm still learning how to drive the little 2.5 M50 Motor. I guess I'll have to buy a Trans Am WS6 Ram Air for my weekend car just to get my fix! someday. :o)
  • Options
    roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    Thanks for the encouragement. I certainly do hope that both our cars will be delivered ASAP.
    I'm not sure when Motorweek is on in NY, but I would have loved to have seen them review the 330xi. The talk that the 330xi is faster than a 330i is hard to believe (except in 6 inches of snow) because it weighs 200 lbs more, but it's a nice thought.
    Even if the cars are on 112 as of Sunday or Monday, from what I've read on this board, the cars stay in 112 for 5-7 days before moving onto 150. It takes about a week to build the car and usually sits on the docks for another few days to a week to be picked up. Then shipping from Germany to the port in NJ should take another 2 weeks or so and another few days for prep and delivery. So at the very earliest I estimate our delivery to be the final days of June, but more likely first or second week of July.
    Until I get delivery I will go on a hunger stike.
  • Options
    jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Member Posts: 210
    Any luck yet with the status on your car, man?...just got back from a nice Memorial Day weekend. I was hoping it may be in 196 status, awaiting delivery...
  • Options
    macdude44macdude44 Member Posts: 30
    Hey, Long time no talk to. Did your 330 ever arrive at Moss Motors and have you picked it up yet? Just curious as to the service you may have received and if there were any unpleasant surprises waiting for you once you got to Lafayette. I'm expecting my car to arrive within 2 weeks as it hits port this Thursday. I'm also expecting no surprises from the dealer. I think we chose well.
  • Options
    aaa330iaaa330i Member Posts: 63
    I called BMWNA this morning and the car is still in 150...supposedly at the paint shop. Not sure what that means in the timeline.
  • Options
    Although I was always interested in buying a sedan, I test drove a 325xi sportwagon because it was the only 325xi any dealers around my area had in stock. I found it to be sluggish and unimpressive in acceleration. The couple hundred extra pounds for the AWD combined with the couple hundred extra pounds for the wagon really made it disappointing off the line.

As a consequence I went with a 330xi sedan. I think it was fully worth the extra few grand I spent on it. However, Braveheart has in the past made the good observation that if you're going for a sedan without AWD, the 325i is plenty quick.

Funny how a few hundred extra pounds makes that much of a difference.
  • Options
    Yep. I just called this morning, too. BMWNA said the same thing: paint shop...production should be complete by June 8th, which is exactly 2 weeks ahead of schedule from the initial completion date they gave me, June 22nd. BTW, I'm unsure where exactly it is being produced? I thought I read some time ago that the 330s and 325s are built in different factories, maybe in South Africa???
  • Options
    My car went status 112, assuming that's "Scheduled for or in production" on April 26. My car arrives at the port today, and I expect to pick it up by the end of the week or early next week. Sounds like June 30 might be pushing it close, Denright.
  • Options
    ...some 325s are built in SA.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Brave1heart,

Hello my friend, glad you had a great trip to my neck of the woods. After getting a dose of the roads in the NYC metro area, you can see why I opted not to get the SP on my 328i. As for the seat belt tensioner, I too have heard the very tiny Click, Click, Click. While I have never taken apart a BMW tensioner, I have looked at the one that MB puts on their cars, and it is my GUESS that the pendulum that is used to sense motion is what we are hearing when on bumpy roads. Maybe the GURU or somebody who works for BMW can enlighten us further.

Jmochel1,

I have a 1999 328i and I would not be at all concerned about it being able to achieve WELL over 100K miles.

Sierra58,

My how times have changed, you are asking if a 325xi wagon might be considered underpowered. In 1982, I bought one of the original Audi Quattro's. This is a car that the press was simply goofy over, they were totally impressed by the power, traction and overall performance. That car had a turbo-charged 2.2 liter 5 cylinder engine that put out a (then) astounding 150HP.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Jasonkureejii, do you have your VIN? If the 11th digit is "F" it's built in Germany. Or ask your dealer for the model code. If it's 0144, it's a German build.
  • Options
  • Options
    erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    Tom:
    My car is also on the ship Tellus, due to arrive in Charleston on 5/31. Also being delivered to MOSS Motors (c/o Richard Foard).

FYI, Richard mentioned to me that the time from ship to dealer could vary anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks. All depends on how quick they get processed, preped, etc. The transport people have been moving quicker lately, after several dealerships complained that "sold cars" were sitting in Charleston way too long. Probably as a result, a couple weeks ago Richard received a vehicle 3 DAYS after arriving in port! Keep your fingers crossed.

Curious. How do you plan to get to Lafayette?
  • Options
    I got the VIN from the Owner's Circle site...not sure it's accurate or not...I assume it should be....
  • Options
    Having spoken to BMWNA, it sounds as though my car went 112 on Thursday. If it spends 5-7 days in this stage, it sounds to me like it should hit 150 within the next few days.

Figure 10 days for construction and to get on a ship.

Figure 15 days on the boat.

Figure 3 days to get from the terminal to my dealership in MD.

It sounds to me like I have a long shot chance of getting this baby delivered on or before June 30.

Crossing my fingers...
  • Options
    check out the VIN section of this FAQ:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/

• Options
    1. I agree in principle that student loans is good debt because the rate is reasonable and most important, you get to write off the interest portion. However, I cannot recommend to anyone with 200+K in loans to start investing instead of paying down at least some of it. I believe I made it clear in my recommendation that it all depends on your personal situation. If I buy a house, I don't ever want to pay it off. The mortgage interest at 7% (really less than 5% after-tax) is the cheapest money you can borrow. Same goes with student loans- it is good debt - but not when you have 200+K of it and your assets to liability ratio is close to zero.

3. I would recommend against ANY mutual funds, including index funds. This is the easiest way to underperform. Mutual funds typically charge annual fees, they impose withdrawal restrictions/penalties, and many other fees. Worst off, managers' hands are tied because they have to invest pretty much all the proceeds into the fund and they cannot play the short side or hedge their risk efficiently like a hedge fund. Most of you probably know that 2/3 of all fund managers cannot beat their benchmark index on an average year. See, it's a zero-sum game - if 2/3 of them are doing worse than the index, then somebody must be doing better than the index and it ain't the mutual funds. I agree that for the average investor, sticking with the indices is smart but that's why they invented tracking securities like the Nasdaq 100 QQQ's and the S&P500 SPY's, which are a lot more liquid than a mutual fund and the fees are typically lower ($10-20 for the transaction only)

4. You've been reading Peter Lynch too much. That's what I call the Camry approach (boring but it works pretty well for the masses). His major point is, just keep averaging and think 30years down the road; don't get caught up in the short term. See, reality is, 30 years down the road, the size of you retirement portfolio would vary widely based on whether you got in at Nasdaq 5,000 a year ago or if you got in at Nasdaq 1,600 two months ago. Timing is everything; don't let mutual fund managers fool you. The problem with timing is that it's impossible for MOST people to time the market. That's why you have to go with those who can and who have consistently done it (Jim Cramer from the street.com, Bill Meehan, and especially Don Hays as of late). Again, if you are not interested in doing research and you just want it safe, buy QQQ and SPY and vary the allocations depending on how aggressive you want to be. But please, do yourself a favor and don't buy mutual funds - you really don't need to subsidize that 25-year old portfolio manager's M5.

5. "I'm not interested in beating the S&P"?!?!? No comment but at least you know why I am very skeptical about accountants' investment advice. My best man is a CMA and we've had all these conversations. He's so focused on managing his taxes that he typically misses the big investment picture.
  • Options
    You are looking at 5-6 weeks based on my experience. Closer to 6.
  • Options
    I think the VINs have changed a bit for the 325s from the 323s...can't really decipher the VIN through that FAQ...
  • Options
    Money is not an area of my life that I want to be obsessed with. I've seen friends and family get sucked into the stock market greed. I'd rather place my money in an S&P500 fund and be done with it for a while, until I need it.

I try to not make the love of money a priority in my life.

Just my .02
  • Options
    thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    gurumike--can you check the latest on my 325Ci to BMW of Arlington, VA? It's Steel Gray Metallic w/ Black leather, SP, Xenon, HK, CD, Moonroof. Thanks.
  • Options
    thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    I know this was posted before, but I finally got my VIN. Is there a way to decipher these?
  • Options
    mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    how was the steering? Mine is ok but as noted in prior post is lighter to the left.

what is yout business backround? your argument against mutuals was very persuasive. after paying taxes on my fund losses last year i will think very seriously about the tracking stocks. but isn't a problem that the nas still has crappy .coms in it? Also for 401k mutuals won't get taxed.
  • Options
    I see exactly what you mean about the SP and NY/suburbs roads. I would have probably passed on the SP if I had to drive my little kids in the back seats on those roads. We drove back on Saw Mill Rd up towards Rt 84 on the way back and I'd recommend to anyone to avoid that road at any cost. Last time it was paved must have been the Second World War...
    BTW, not sure why NJ is the butt of jokes when it comes to states but I gotta tell you, half the characters you see at gas stations look like taken right from the Sopranos cast. "Tony, I'm dying ovah heah"... Lots of hair gel and the whole nine yards. We stayed at a friends' house in Florham Park on Sunday - very nice area. Not sure what town you live in but I hope I'll have the opportunity to meet you some day and shake your hand. Well, both our frinds are around 55 years old and drive BMW's - one of them is an ED '98 528 and the other one is a '97 328is SP. They are really happy with them. Oh, almost forgot to mention that I avoided sth like 12 speed traps on our way back to Boston. I don't use a radar detector - I think common sense works better but it was like Big Brother Watching - typical long weekend driving.