Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Equinox Transmission Problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    bigkritterbigkritter Member Posts: 31

@marketingvirgo said:
    Guess what, the issue with the drive train is back AGAIN - for the fourth time. This time they said the tensioner needs to be replaced (thought I had that done twice before) and a new upper fuel pump (had that done once before as well.) I am burning oil and was down two quarts, but the Onstar diagnostics did not pick that up.
    OK, I tried, but I really am starting not to feel safe in this car and want something more dependable.

• Options
    bigkritterbigkritter Member Posts: 31

one more time on-star can't tell u when your car has issues than how do they know where you r when you crash

• Options
    candor_is_bestcandor_is_best Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox with 57K + miles. It was bought brand new. Unfortunately for me, my transmission has had problems. The transmission had parts replaced the first time there was an issue. Now, my car will not go in reverse and does not accelerate. When trying to accelerate it revs up to 4 rpms but does nothing. Needless to say, it is ridiculous that a car under 60K miles would require such work. But the problems don't stop there. I've had problems with the AC also. I must admit, when I purchased the car there were issues that the dealer did not disclose. However, due to their idiocy, they left the paper work of the problem in the glove box. I discovered the paperwork after I drove off the lot. I called GM corporate to complain and let them know that I didn't want the vehicle anymore due to failure to disclose information about the car. All they did was make the dealer refund my money for the extended warranty. Fast forward to present day, and just as I believed then, the car is having issues. This experience has left a nasty taste in my mouth for GM. I will never buy another new GM vehicle. At least if you buy an old car you expect to have some issues. Wish I could support this American auto maker, but dishonesty and pocket raping is not what someone wants when they buy a car. And by the looks of the other comments, plenty of other people are having problems also.
  • Options
    anni811anni811 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox LTX with 40k miles. I am loving the car, but right after buying it, realized the Tiptronic Manual Shift Mode switch did not work. The dealership where I bought the car did replace it, but now the transmission seems to be slipping. It will rev up before shifting, or just seem to drop when driving. Not sure what is going on! When I took it in for the oil change, they did find a bulletin about this issue 09-07-30-16A, but they don't think what they did caused this...can anyone help? I don't want to have a big expense for a car I just purchased :(
  • Options
    chase457chase457 Member Posts: 1
    Have had my 2011 Equinox for a shade over a year, 65,000 miles. Last night when driving to get an Oil consumption test done (I had to put 3 quarts in 2500 miles into oil change) the check engine light came on and the engine revved high, having trouble switching gears. Was able to get it to he dealer and was told it would be $3000 for a used transmission. Of course the powertrain warranty was up 6 months ago. This has been the worst car experience of my life and really want to give GM the opportunity to make this right. Do GM customer service reps still look at this page?
  • Options
    mistirain90mistirain90 Member Posts: 2
    I love the looks of the Equinox out of all the small SUVs I've looked out it is differently my favorite. However, when I started looking around I had many people tell me to not get it because of the transmission problems. I found a 2010 for about $11,000 with around 74,000 miles on it, I knew it had to be too good to be true. Happy I found this forum. I guess my search continues.
  • Options
    equinoxtrannyequinoxtranny Member Posts: 4
    For those of you with a 2010 Equinox with a transmission failure, there are many others pit there like us! We need to band together and have this safety issue documented by calling GM and making a complaint. We also need to make a complaint with the federal NHTSA to encourage an investigation. By doing so, we may save someone from an accident as well as possibly get reimbursed if GM issues a recall. Please call NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and GM at 1-866-790-5700
  • Options
    gflexorgflexor Member Posts: 1
    2010 Chevy Equinox Transmission failure. I am surprise there are so many complaints about the 2010 equinox and GMC has not responded. I have the 2014 and 2010 equinox models and I bought both new. I am now worried that I have too many cars made by GM. I have had problems with my 2010 equinox for years but nothing close to the current transmission problem. My current mileage is 92,222. I was on the highway when it appeared my car skidded. I then changed lane to be safe. Next thing I know, the car RPM soared but the car would not drive. Essentially, the car acted as if it was on neutral when on drive. I then turned of the engine and restarted it and the car drove about 2 poles but would not further engage the transmission. I was stranded with my 8 year old son by the highway shoulder. I had the car towed to the dealer. Several hours later, I am being told that the wave plate in the transmission was broke and that I had to wait several days to know what other damage resulted. With the same car, I have had numerous problem with the bearings and frequent airbag problems. The car does not ride well like the 2014 model. For some months now, there has been an annoying low RPM noise at low speed that the tech could not diagnose. I am now wondering if it was the transmission failing all along. The same annoying sound is now occurring in the 2014 equinox. It begs the question of whether there is a pervasive quality problem with GM vehicles. To GM, I demand a fix to this 2010 equinox transmission problem. My vin would be readily available. I was shopping for a GM truck but I am having to wait and see.
  • Options
    jmeck23jmeck23 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my wife a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox with 64k back in May and it has about 72K now and when you go to try and pass someone or just take off quick RPMS go up to 4-5K but it doesnt go anywhere and feels like it has no power. I spoke with a GM dealership and they said it was out of the powertrain warranty expired July 9th I was unaware of this warranty I called them when I first got the car to see if there was any recalls or TSBs that I should be aware of gave them the VIN and everything. Am I stuck with this issue out of my pocket or do you think they will do maybe a courtesy extension seeing how I am way under my miles and just barely over the months?
  • Options
    finity2017finity2017 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2011 chevy equinox It will be exactly 1 year in september that I have had this vehicle. Just yesterday it started stalling at stop light and while driving. It won't even move 15 feet before it goes out. When putting it in drive it does nothing when you push the accelerator. I have an 8 year old kid that I have to transport around and there is no way that I am going to take a chance trying to get him to his appointments in the vehicle. Does anyone know why this happens with these vehicles and more importantly how to fix it?

Thanks
  • Options
    helpmyequinoxhelpmyequinox Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a 2010 Chevy Equinox with 87.5k miles. My transmission now has the dreaded 3,5,R waver problem, high RPMs, and the car cannot exceed 25 mph. My scanner reads out P0770, P0776, and B2922 codes. I spent my afternoon yesterday visiting several mechanic shops, and the consensus repair estimate is $2,800. This is the worst repair cost in my life. I hope that Sarah or Mariah from GM Customer Service contact me to discuss my options. Given all the Equinox tranny issues, GM should be reimbursing customers for this tranny defect because this issue is so pervasive. I intend to complaint with the federal NHTSA to encourage an investigation, NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236. I originally bought this car because I wanted to help our US companies during the recession/depression. I hope that GM now shows the same loyalty to their customers. Thank you in advance for your support
  • Options
    mrsgdlitemrsgdlite Member Posts: 1
    I also am in the same position except that mine acted up before the warranty expired and I took it into the dealership twice and they couldn't find a problem. Now that the warranty is up the transmission has gone out completely. I still owe $9000 on the vehicle I can't afford $4000 to replace the transmission. I feel that GM should be responsible since this is a KNOWN problem and I tried to get it fixed before the warranty was out. My only choice if GM doesn't intervene is to let the bank have the suv and I will NEVER by another Chevy!
  • Options
    chio7979chio7979 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this will help out anyone but I was having the same issue on my 2005 nox. I tried everything even changed the transmission shifting sensor, it wasn't easy, but that didn't fix the hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I had given up and all of a sudden my check light engine lit up for A few seconds and then turned off. Long story short I took it as a divine sign and scanned my car for a code even though there was no light on. To my luck the code that was throwing out was the camshaft sensor. So for $17 I changed the sensor myself. I took it a step further and kept on reading about camshaft sensors and on many sites it said that if the camshaft sensor was going bad then it was likely that the crankshaft sensor was also not working properly. So for another $17 I bought a crankshaft sensor and changed it my self. My car is on shifting smooth. Again, not sure if this will help anyone but for less than $40 it's worth giving it a try.
  • Options
    wenwil27wenwil27 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2011 Chevy Equinox. I purchase this used 2 years ago as a Certified vehicle. The Transmission Control Module is faulty what caused the transmission to go bad. So now I am out of warranty and looking at $4100+ to replace the module and the transmission. I still owe $11000 on this truck. I have had issues with this truck since the beginning. I so regret this purchase.
  • Options
    tcole13tcole13 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the SAME issue with my 2010 Equinox. It has about 100000 miles on it now but have been feeling transmission slippage for a while now. Now the vehicle will not go into reverse and is sitting dead in my driveway. Is anyone having success in Lemon Law claims or anything. I am in a tight spot and dont know what to do with this. Any help would be apprenticed.
  • Options
    2010equinox42010equinox4 Member Posts: 2
    Just paid several thousand dollars for a new transmission on my 2010 Equinox. NOT EVEN 10 YEARS OLD and it has had a new engine and now a new transmission. No warranty or recall. Have discovered 2 other people I know who just junked theirs when this happened. Can't afford to do that. I will never buy a Chevy again!!! By the way I had to borrow a car for a week and a half after having it towed to the dealership after stopping in traffic on a main road.
  • Options
    djhuff33djhuff33 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Equinox , 80,000 miles. Took vehicle in for oil change and rotation. The good and bad news talk with tech. Oil cunsumpsion was high. OK Recall covered that problem. On the way to get it serviced , the transmission slipped twice( Never happened before). Tech calls back after engine oil problem repaired and says the transmission is gone. No reverse or 2,3,5 gears. $4000 new transmission or 3200 for used. Signal sent to on board computer? LOL
  • Options
    angryblkwmangryblkwm Member Posts: 1
    My transmission has just started hard shifting, is there a recall for transmissions on 2011 equinox models?