Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I would be interested in hearing from 2000/2001 S class owners re the reliability of the new model and the Mercedes service experience. I have owned numerous MBs since 1979 . I started with a 450 SEL and progressed thru 560 SECs, 560SL, 500 SL, and a 500SEL most of which I've kept. I also belong to the Mercdes Benz Club of America. All was relatively well until I bought a 1999 ML430.During the first year I had nothing but troubles with the vehicle. What was worse was the dealer service and attitude. When I insisted on a loaner car I was referred to a low end rental agency. My employees who owned lexuses were given a lexus to drive.
    I am now considering a LS 430 and drove one last week and was favorably impressed although to my recallection the MB S500 was more sporting(I drove it when it first came out).
    I would also be interested in the lease rates for the S500 since although the Lexus is considerably less expensive I think the residual is much lower than the Mercedes and thus the payments may be less.
    Thanks
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I would be interested in hearing from 2000/2001 S class owners re the reliability of the new model and the Mercedes service experience. I have owned numerous MBs since 1979 . I started with a 450 SEL and progressed thru 560 SECs, 560SL, 500 SL, and a 500SEL most of which I've kept. I also belong to the Mercdes Benz Club of America. All was relatively well until I bought a 1999 ML430.During the first year I had nothing but troubles with the vehicle. What was worse was the dealer service and attitude. When I insisted on a loaner car I was referred to a low end rental agency. My employees who owned lexuses were given a lexus to drive.
    I am now considering a LS 430 and drove one last week and was favorably impressed although to my recallection the MB S500 was more sporting(I drove it when it first came out).
    I would also be interested in the lease rates for the S500 since although the Lexus is considerably less expensive I think the residual is much lower than the Mercedes and thus the payments may be less.
    Thanks
  • platinum_1platinum_1 Member Posts: 3
    im going to keep this message short and simple . about 80% of you people in this discussion board are liars . you all pretend to have these cars but you dont . stop lying ......who are you tring to impress anyway . why don't you stop that and let the REAL people who actually have this car do the talking .
    p.s. aling don't erase this message
  • ataieataie Member Posts: 84
    C280 is about $2000 more, but everything is the same........ which one should I consider fellows???
  • ejerodejerod Member Posts: 86
    In response to all the people who replied to my dillema of deciding between the S500 and the LS430. Thank you. You're right, I've thought it through and deep down in side I know I won't be happy with the LS430. I already own the Lexus GS300 that I bought for my wife 2 years ago. Now that car I'm thrilled with. For the life of me I don't know why lexus decided to tone down the styling of the flagship after introducing the new GS and the coming 2001 SC coupe. Apparently the design team leader got sick for a few months and some rookies took over. At any rate, I'm going to wait til Jan and order the S. Yeah it's more money, but I love the agressive styling, especially with the AMG Sport package.. thanks guys and gals...
  • is4b2rdis4b2rd Member Posts: 66
    Great decision to get the MB. I have to say, if you are an MB person, then a Lexus, no matter how much sense it makes from a financial point, you just won't be happy. I stopped by to look at the LS, expecting to be wowed after the reports I read. When I sat inside, it was just a Japanese luxury vehicle to me. I guess I need that sense of automotive history behind a marque.

One question though, why wait until January. You really should go ahead and get your order in now because there is a wait for the car.
  • mcgowan1mcgowan1 Member Posts: 16
    As one who does not own MB, but who lurks in this topic because I find it (Normally) quite interesting, where did this guy come from?
    Sometimes, some people go too far; One can only hope that the next time, they'll stay there!
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    I am beginning to get some noise from the ignition switch area; or the steering wheel assembly in my new 2001 S500. This only occurs in very rough New York roads. The funny thing is that it only occurs during the evenings when I am driving home after dinner; alas with friends.

This mild noise seems to annoy only me, since my wife seemed to not have noticed at all....

Any experience here from anyone? (not you; Mr plat-1, from Malaysia....)

Thanks
    You're right. I know that the saleswoman told me that there was a 5 month wait. Forgot about that. I've had such a time trying to make up my mind. The Lexus interior is gorgeous. Honestly the interior of the Lexus far exceeds what the S class has to offer unless you go with a designo or step up to the S600. They have enough wood in that thing to build a small motor yacht ! But the MB has the styling, the mystique, and I can add the wood/leather steering wheel for about a grand or so. That's enough wood for me. I want the styling, the classic lines, and yes the stares as I drive lol. Now.. to decide whether to buy outright or lease......
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Hi Paul,

I know that there was a Technical Service Bulletin regarding a steering angle harness modification for the '00 S-class. Perhaps this is somehow related? Have a look here:
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/35/0035AO92.html

Recommend that you take it in and have them look at it at your convenience. Best of luck!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • sigmabossigmabos Member Posts: 9
    Hello all...I am a long time reader and just registered! My S430 Black/Char, Heated Seats, K2a, S2 will be here anyday. This will be my second benz...my first was a '98 C230, then a Volvo S70, then a GS300...now the big kahuna!

I was unable to get any deal on my S...but I did get a good trade in value (Trade-ins are now the only way to negotiate a fair deal) Three dealers offer me $3k less than the dealer I gave my business to in Boston.

I agree that the Command system is very difficult to use...I asked for the manual while I waited and it is over 150 pages! In any event I am happy to be a MB owner again. Lastly, I checked out the LS430 and the interior is awsom... but the exterior looks like an Acura on steriods! For those of you considering the Lexus...save your money because you will eventually buy a Benz...I did!
  • tomkuntomkun Member Posts: 10
    My 12k miles 2000 S500 sport had more noise than day one, most noise came from dash and doors, is your 2001 S500 with ABC? my 2001 CL500 was lot smoother, i think about to get a LS430 sport, but i still like S style better, or get a 2001 S500 with ABC, how do you think? thanks.
    Beside the headlines for the problems, can I get a detailed description of the problem??
    Would the service guys at Mercedes know what I am talking about, if I refer to these items ???
    Would the service guys at Mercedes know what I am talking about, if I refer to these items ???
    After 930 miles in my S500 and some driving experience in other S500's; I highly recommend the S500 with the ABC over a S500 with the sports package. While I also liked the way the sports package looked, I did not like the ride. IMO.

I also like to be a little more understated in my S. I think sports packages are better for the coupe line of Mercedes. It's probably good for the E class.....

Paul
    Any answers ????
  • tomkuntomkun Member Posts: 10
    I can get both ABC and sport on 2001 S500, same as my 2001 CL500 sport, but i ordered a 2001 S55 AMG, ABC and sport are standard, it will come Jan. 2001, just don't like to drive the same model again.
    go for it!
  • mike2567mike2567 Member Posts: 15
    My S500 now has just over 12,000 miles and it has absolutely no rattles, noises or squeaks whatsoever, even on rough roads. If you hear rattles or squeaks there's something wrong, address it right away.

M
  • scargo160quickscargo160quick Member Posts: 63
    OK, I've grown tired of waiting for a S 500. My thoughts have turned to the S 430. The obvious differences are the engine, wood inside, leather, no xenon, and no front heated seats. Is there anything else? I'm not really concerned about the engine. How much better is the Nappa leather? Also, should I get the xenon package? How about heated seats? I'm hoping I can find a 430 in the next month or two. I suppose another option would be to find a slightly used S 500, but I want to lease the car. There are some bright people out there, what would you do?
  • bob711bob711 Member Posts: 3
    I leased an S500 with Sport Package, ABC, Parktronics and distronics last month....and I am very disappointed with the rattles/noise from the dash when I drive over rough roads and even expansion joints in the highway. For a 97,540 msrp, I expected better. My suburban rattles less.
    I have everything you have except the sports package. I also have the extra rear seat stuff, but those rear items are not making any noise. I do have the dash noise you are noticing.

The noise does not becoming apparent during the beginning of a drive, but starts after 15 minutes or so. They seems to be near the ignition area. The noises were not there after I picked up the car from the dealership, but started after I adjusted the steering column. So, it might be something inside the steering assembly. I've tried to change the steering settings to avoid the noise, but as of yet, they-re still there over rough roads.

Since I have had no cars with zero noise in the past ( Honda, Volvo, Lexus, Mercedes, and BMWs) I am trying hard to ignore the noise and enjoy everything else that is this great car !

DREW! WHERE ARE Y O U ???????? WE NEED YOUR KNOWLEDGE !!!!!!!!!!
  • bob711bob711 Member Posts: 3
    I have a suspicion that the dash noise I am getting is from the area between the gauge assembly (which slides out of the dash) and the actual dash. The fit is not perfectly tight...which may cause some of the squeaking.
  • cvrinccvrinc Member Posts: 16
    My 2000 S430 has over 14,000 miles on it and it has absolutely no rattles, squeaks, or any noise since the day I picked it up. It has been rock solid and I am thrilled with the car as it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

I am sorry to hear about your problem. Run it make to the dealer and make them fix it. An S should not have this problem and the dealer must make this right. If they don't respond take it up the ladder to the service manager and the MB field representative.
  • relliottrelliott Member Posts: 1
    I have a S430 with 23,000 miles on it. My squeaks come from the cheap clear plastic covering over the gauges. It seems the plastic is rather hard compared to being a "softer" plastic. MB did not reinforce the instrument panel as much as they should. When I go over a bump, the panel moves, which moves the plastic within the panel and I get a squeak.
    The wood on the drivers door has popped off, the glove box doesn't fit right, I have two bubbles on the passenger's side airbag dash covering and the driver's door is loose on the top hinge.
    Of course, that's nothing compared to when I first picked up the car. It seems that going by power poles caused electro-magnetic interference with the electronic suspension control module. The car would shake like a washing maching out of balance. It was in the shop for 2 weeks before I forced the dealer to replace the electronic control.
    Herr Schrempp has take too much out of the car.
    Am I happy? I don't think so.
    Back to BMW for me.
  • bradm3bradm3 Member Posts: 2
    I leased a 500 yesterday and will take delivery next Saturday. I was orginally going to take the sport package, but after reading the fine print in the brochure regarding noise and tire wear, became leery.

The test drive convinced me to opt out of the sport. I currently have a 98 S-320 and wanted something that quiet. Can't wait to get it next week!!
    I also considered the s500 sports as well as the S55 and S600 before buying a really loaded s500 with ABC. The ride is better in the S500+ABC versus the S500 sports. I compare the s500 sports ride to the e class or the GS Lexus series. Not too different than the BMW 5 series either, except for the far more comfortable ride of the S.

The noise level in a S500 sports will be higher than the S500 and a S500 with ABC. The S55 will be nearly the same as the S500 sports. The S600 is an entirely different animal. The extra leather that is the S6 DOES NOT make much difference in terms of noise prevention. You still have the plastic storage box under your legs and the other plastic covers on the doors. What you do get are the leather coverings over rubber parts in the S500. The car really is not faster or quieter than the S500, but I HEAR from the service mgr that it will be at cruising speeds over 100mph. Highest speed I've driven in my S500 is 93. I will not get higher until I past 2000 miles or so....

SO, go for it! When it comes down to it, it's really the look and style that matters to you. At 100K, it better be; since it's not the transportation that you're getting it for in a MB S500.
    Good investigation on the dash noise.

I got the dash noise again this morning after driving for 30 minutes or so. The noise does sound like plastic striking plastic/rubber.

Did you manage to stop the dash noise? Or your dealership?

Paul
  • petervanpetervan Member Posts: 2
    I have recently placed an order for an S430 with some few options such as S2, K2 etc.... One dealer told me that it would probably take about 8 to 11 months before I could get my car. I was really puzzled by the long wait. I called another dealer, and this second one gave me a 3 months wait. Why is the difference since they are both MB dealers? Have any of you guys out there waited that long (8 to 11 months) before getting your cars? What is the average waiting time for a special order?
    Yeah, I'm waiting too. If you have to have your equipment and color combos a certain way (ie. special paint, chestnut interior trim,e tc...) your car will be factory ordered, and about 11 months is right since backlog is so long. There are 430s en-route for dealer allocations and you should be able to find one somewhere if you can be somewhat flexible on your option choices. Furthermore, dealers are often very conservative with their estimates as well.
  • is4b2rdis4b2rd Member Posts: 66
    The reason you find one dealer promising 11 months and another promising 3 months is because of dealer allocation. A larger MB dealership will have a larger allocation, thus a quicker delivery time.
    Sorry for the delay. Before the software changeover, I deleted my placemarks since the feature is not available with the other conference software. However, when we switched back to WellEngaged, I forgot to add the S-class topic back the list.

In any case, I'm not sure what I can suggest. Have you brought it back to your dealership? Have they tried to do anything?

Drew/aling
    I was worried about you.

I will in two weeks, it's really not that annoying. The car otherwise, is amazing. I was driving alongside a Porsche 911 this weakend, and out-accelerating it at highway speeds (above 60mph). Y E S !!!!
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    Does anyone here have the parktronic? Is it worth the extra $1000?

Any comments would be appreciated.
    I have it and strongly recommend it. The $1000 that you pay for the "toy" will pay for itself if you manage to avoid scraping a bumper (necessitating a repaint). More importantly, it can help to save others from injuries, since you'll have approximately 1-2 seconds to slam on the brake pedal if the alarm sounds (from a kid running across your path, for example).

Paul, glad that you're enjoying the car so much! :-) Please keep us updated on the fix for your problem. BTW, looks like it may be a while yet before I'll have a chance to own one of these splendid cars. The S-class 4-matic (and C-class 4-matic) will not be launched till late fall 2002!!

Drew/aling
  • bozelbozel Member Posts: 3
    hi everyone...
    i was wondering if anyone was interested in exchanging COMAND CD backups...
    msg/email me if your interested.
    The CDs are copy protected. They are also copyright enforced by interpol.
    What is the interest in exchanging? Are they regional or something? Do you have to buy others for different regions?

Maybe next year they will install a DVD so it can ship more info on disc.
  • bozelbozel Member Posts: 3
    I know they are copy protected... Im not interested in piracy. Im interested in exchanging BACKUPS.
  • bradm3bradm3 Member Posts: 2
    Just got my 500 today, and already problems.

1) The sound system skips, regardless of CD or radio. Sounds as if it is "searching" for a signal.

2) The driver temperature control will only toggle down, not up. Not a problem in July, but certainly is in November!

Anyone seen this before? Yes, I have a call into my dealer, but want to make sure I don't get the "you're holding your mouth wrong" answer.
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    You are totally right, I allways cars like lexus, infiniti, and acura Japanese Cadilacs. They are floaters, no enthusiasim.
    1) If the radio skip, it might be the reception. AM sucks. If it's the CD, could it be a dirty or scratched CD?

2) Is the 'auto' temperature light on?
  • mike2567mike2567 Member Posts: 15
    ... not to sound patronizing, but be sure to read the owner's manual. I had what I thought were problems but they were normal functions. Example: passenger side rear view mirror sometimes would not deflect downwards for parking. Turns out, you have to have the passenger side mirror selected for this feature to work. Glad I didn't complain.
    The best things in life are worth the wait!

Everyone has a 3, 5, or 7 series. The S gets you more exclusivity and the very latest in technology (at least until the new 7 arrives). Don't get me wrong the old 7 is a very nice car though.
    Well guys and gals I've come to a decision ( finally).. I drove the new Lexus LS430 and that's the car for me. With the ultra luxury package it's better equipped than an S600 less the V12 and has enough technical features to navigate the starship enterprise. I was doing 70 with the climate control on and I could hear the salesman's watch ticking. This is the quietest, most solidly riding luxury sedan I've ever driven, and unlike it's predecesor you don't thave that feeling of isolation from the road. I wanted to tahnk all of you for your input and postings. Don't get me wrong, MB is in a class by itself in many aspects especially when it comes to the heritage of the company. But Lexus has once again upped the ante. The car I drove was 68740 and loaded like I said better than the S600. Take care ladies and gents.. and thanks again..Now when Mercedes brings out the SLR in 2003.... ahh.. that's another story...:)
  • sixtoferrosixtoferro Member Posts: 13
    I guess it all depends where you live. In South Florida, you see many more S-classes than 7-series. Don't get me wrong, the S-class looks sharp, but I'll stick with the 740iL. But at least you find them better than the Lexus. Nice car, but could they make them any less exclusive. In my complex, they are a dime a dozen. Not exclusive enough for me.
    I live in the SF bay area and a lot of dotcommies drive Bimmers. It was really hard for the me to choose the S over the 740 but there are a lot of the latter around here. I see what you are saying about Miami, I did a used car search on AutoTrader.com and there were tons of S Class' in that particular region. I suppose I would have done the same thing.

Admittedly, the Bimmer is a more spirited driving experience. It's a tough call for someone looking at a luxury sport sedan and putting that much money on the line. My S500 is coming in two weeks, who knows, maybe I'll catch the 7 series next time around. As far as Lexus...no comment, we will miss Ejerod's postings.
    After 1200 miles of 'steamy' weekend driving, I LOVE my S !!!!!

Thanks to 1 of your posts, I poked at the instrument panel cover, and I have not heard any more noise from there. THANKS!

I have driven Bimmers, Volvos, Jags, Lexui, and even Bentleys; 'been there, done that'. When it comes down to it, I cannot be happier to have a Benz S500 inside my garage. Now, if only I can get one 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo park next to it....
    Glad you're enjoying your S! I curious as to what the fix for your steering column creak was.

As for the Porsche, why do I have this feeling that it won't be out of the question?? ;-) ;-)

Drew/aling
This discussion has been closed.