Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • philbeauphilbeau Member Posts: 19
    Seriously, thanks again. I hear you re: larger engine = greater more demand = higher price. I'm very pleased with the deal I negotiated and am sure i'll enjoy my MPV and never notice any power issue.
    Since you've been here since '99 can you shed any light/opinion on the whole synthetic oil/tranny fluid issue. Have read posts that it makes shifting smoother.
  • chris1113chris1113 Member Posts: 5
    Congrats on your purchase joesette Feb 28, 2001 7:47pm.

Considering I paid $300 more ( negotiating w/car salesman is not one of my strong points :-), I'd say you got a good deal.

What part of the country do you live in ( I'm in New York )?
  • blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    I've had my van for 16 months and 39,000 miles. About 1/3 of those miles are for trips, the others around town. We also are a family of 4, although there are usually only 3 of us in the van. Although I like the looks of the interior of the van more with the third seat up, I have found that I tend to leave it down most of the time. Once I put the seat down, I leave it down until someone needs to sit there. Then it stays up until I need the extra space. I must need the extra space more than I need the seat. I've had no problems with groceries rolling around the back or anything. If you think about it, except for the possible access into the second row seats, all cargo should carry the same as in the trunk of a car.
  • nyk33nyk33 Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up my new '01 MPV with a 97 Dodge Intrepid trade in and 0 down for $23K out the door. Its the DX model with the rear air (a must in Arizona) and the power package. The MSRP was originally 23K but through a fleet program I got for 2K below MSRP. I also opted for the extended warranty for $1200 (life saver with my previous car) Anyone think I got a decent deal for AZ? I was really torn between the Ody and Sienna but the MPV had a lot of similar features like the Ody (I still can't get over the roll down side windows:) at a fraction of the price, so it was a no brainer. Anyway I really enjoy the posts and my brand new MPV. Thanks!!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Hmmm, 23k for a DX? I hope you were at least able to get the power package. Also, I assume that you have an appointment to get the windows tinted today! Personally I would have opted for the '00 LX for about the same price with rebates. However, you still got a great van and the driving experience is fantastic no matter what the trim level is.

:)
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    There was some discussion a few weeks/months ago on synthetic oils, tranny fluid,etc. Since I am not big on things like this, I don't recall the answers but I know Javadoc is an expert in these matters. I do recall though that virtually everyone has said the first oil change, if you are a do it yourselfer, is a pain in the a_ _.
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    My wife and I test drove a 2001 LX last Friday. It had rear air, roof rack, and foggies:). Had it up to 75 on the freeway and drove very well, no pull or shake. Luckily, no Ohio state troopers were around. We loved the van, was roomy enough for our family of 4(2 boys 8&4).This was my wife's first time driving a mini-van. She said it handled better than her 95 Mazda 626. I own a 96 Mazda protege and love Mazda products. We realize it's time for a van and the Mpv fits the bill. Mazda has been the best kept secret for a long time. My protege is better than a toyo corolla, hondo civic, and of course, any American make. So the MPV will be our choice. Now here comes the sticky part, my wife wants to wait till Sept due to some un expected bills. Just found out my 8 year old needs braces. So I guess I have to wait, I would have liked one yesterday. I guess it won't be so bad since I can get a 3.0 V6. Won't want the power doors. I spoke to Mazda and they said the power doors will be a option in a power pkg. Also, she said they expect to keep the 2.5 engine in the DX trim level. Can't wait for Sept and my wife's 2002 LX Sand Mica. How come the husbands are more excited about the Wife's MPV?
    I think this is due to the fact that this is a driver's mini-van. Of course(please don't take offense), there are ladies who love to drive cars that handle well. My wife loves her MPV, but her last thought is to get on the web and post praises for it. I, on the other hand, think the MPV is worthy of it.

My wife would never use this forum. I find it very informative and interesting. It's going to be hard to wait for 6 months, but its my wife's call. I also test drove a 2001 Dodge Caravan Sport. It drove real well, but the 2nd & 3rd row seats had much less leg room. Cargo area seem smaller also. Caravan is wider than the MPV, but I believe the MPV makes better use of interior space. Also, I don't trust DCs products.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I can't speak for the other husbands that post here, but I'm just a Kar Knut and computer geek of the highest order, and I just have to sing/type the praises of a great vehicle like the MPV...but that still doesn't explain my condition... ;>)

Maltb hit it on the head that the MPV is a driver's car (er, van), and I think that's the way Mazda is, and has been, thinking of their cars, and I think it shows. Look also at the Tribute, the (soon to be) boy-racer model Protege due out soon, they're bringing back the rotary (YAY!!) in the RX8, and the MPV just continues this, dare I say, enthusiast-oriented product line.

FWIW, I've noticed that the sand mica color is very popular...as the sand color of the previous model MPV was very popular, having owned one myself and loving the color. Of course wife wanted emerald mica (don't geniuses choose green? Then I picked the color, yeah that's it.)

--java
    Yes, geniuses DO pick green. I should know, my emerald beauty is out front. :þ

I may be blonde, but I'm not dumb..... :)

Isn't the sand mica the choice of "just-under genius" people? I've heard that. Yeah, that's right... Your wife picked you, right?
  • rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    I have a 2001 Sand Mica--it wasn't my first choice; either one of the greens was. But when I saw it, I liked it enough to "settle" for it. The more I see it, the more I like it. It changes color slightly depending on the ambient light, so it's never quite the car you thought you'd gotten used to. And it has one other enormous advantage for a lazy man like me: it's almost the color of road dirt. It can be awfully dirty and not show it from farther away than a foot or so.

Kudos to you, Maltb, for coming up with the perfect oxymoron: A driver's van. I wouldn't have thought any such beast lived--until I drove mine. It is indeed just that. It out-handles my old Cherokee, which I thought handled about as well as any non-sports car I've ever owned.

Finally -- and this from a hoary old veteran of almost three weeks -- congrats and best wishes to you new members of the MPV family. Long may you drive!
    hoary??? Is that a typo? :)
    hoary = old, and ma'am, I'm feeling every day of it lately.

RJ
    I'm not so sure she picked me, but if you ask her, she'll say I was the first jerk that popped the question to her...prolly wishes she'd releaed me in back into the wild while she had the chance, heh. But I keep her coffee card charged up and the van clean, right? 8-)

rjr425, the sand mica will also hide door dings and other blemishes very well. Our emerald mica van has but one scratch, but I notice it every time I'm in the garage, I see a white scar on an othewise deep green sea. Oh, now I'm getting all weepy, sniffle...

--javadoc
    Shouldn't the color be "Mocha Mica", not Sand Mica? I read one of your prior postings. Our salesman told us Sand Mica was the most popular color sold at his dealership. I prefer darker colors, but my wife likes the light colors, the ones that don't show the dirt or water spots. That Beige interior looks like a challenge to keep clean, especially since my 8 year old plays baseball and always has muddy cletes. Those shoes will come off before he thinks of entering the van.
  • ctk2ctk2 Member Posts: 3
    Just brought home my new 2000 ES -- sand mica, 6-CD Changer, 4-seasons package, roof rack, sun roof, cargo net, and yummy, yummy leather, of course! I'm loving the new "baby" and think I got a good deal considering that it was the last sand mica ES in the area that I could find (my #1 choice color) and that it's the first time I ever haggled with a dealer for a new car. (I paid a tiny bit over invoice and got the 0%/4 yr. financing.) Here's my question...

My dealer seems to be having a very hard time figuring out how they can install my car seat tether anchors for me or even find a Mazda anchor kit.

1. Can someone give me instructions on how to install tether anchors that I can pass on to them?
    2. Does anyone know if Mazda makes achors specifically for the their cars?
    3. Can I install an anchor in the slide by side seat when it's positioned in the center?

I ordered an anchor kit from my car seat manufacturer, but would rather put in Mazda's if they, in fact, make them. The dealer said he couldn't find it on the parts list for the 2000.

Thanks for any help anyone here can give me on this.
  • blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    We just purchased a new 2000 black (liked the lighter colors better but this is what they had.) DX with touring, GFX, rear air, 6-disc DC, moon roof, and roof rack for $22,439. The MSRP was $27,700. We chose the $2,750 rebate since we could get 6.75% for 45 months at our credit union. After almost ordering a Honda at MSRP it seemed like a great deal. Does it seem like a good deal to others?

I hadn't really looked at the MPVs but them a Honda sales person, who also sold Hondas suggested it so I did some research and read several messages here and didn't see many complaints. I called a local Mazda dealer the next day and asked them if they had any in stock and then told them I didn't want to haggle so what would the bottom line be? When I actually went in, they kept to the price they quoted only added the $78 doc and license & title fees. BTW in reference to earlier messages, I'm the wife here, my husband really had little to do with this, he did drive the van first and was there but I did most of the discussing.

I did ask about the car seat tethers. Mazda does make them, they are $8 a piece and they will install them for free. It should take about 30 minutes or so. Make sure that you ask for anchor bolts or somthing like that, not straps.

The black is growing on me, with the GFX pacakge, it does look great, I'm just afraid of the scratches and dirt.

The only complaint we have so far is that it's really hard to install car seats in the second row. The seat belts are in a poor position. I saw a message somewhere pertaining to this but never saw any kind of resolution. I called the dealer and Mazda and neither one had any ideas. I heard that they changed them for 2001.

Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what did you do?

We have an almost 1 year old and an almost 2 year old and outgrew my '91 Civic. I liked that car and liked the Oddyssey but just had a problem with spending so much. I was thrilled to find one at MSRP and only a month wait.

I was leery of the D/C because of the past problems but liked some of the changes.

This forum has been a great help in my research and I want to thank you all. The professional reviews are nice to read but hearing from the actual owners was wonderful. Thanks again.
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    Yes, the tether anchor bolts cost about $8 and the dealer should install them for free (most have so far). I would highly recommend getting the ones from Mazda because they are great looking. They match the interior (grey or tan) and even come with a little cover for when you aren't using it. If you look on the back bench's floor mat you will see that Mazda also has areas for where the tethers will fit through nicely (the dealer should do that for you also, just cutting where it shows). Your dealer should be able to call Mazda and ask for the tether bolt anchor part and they will send the instructions with it. As far as the sliding seat goes you will need to readjust the tether if you switch that seat back and forth. I use the driver side seat as I only have one in a car seat.

As far as getting a car seat to fit we have had previous posts about this that you might be able to scroll back and read on. I have actually had great luck with my car seat and found it very easy to install forward facing. It is a Fisher Price Safe Embrace and I will even brag that I took it to be inspected at a safety check and it was one of 11 out of 600 inspected for the year that passed! They were very impressed. I had more trouble getting it installed tight when rear-facing but the car seat techs did it in a minute. The seat doesn't move! I know there are people who have had a lot of trouble with their seats (my previous cars were very frustrating to install seats in so I totally understand) but this is one seat that works great. Some car seats just won't work and it may be the seat or the van or a combo. I suggest going to a car seat clinic and having them check it out for you. They are very helpful. You can call up a Chrysler dealer who participates in the Fit For a Kid campaign and they will make an appointment and do the seat for you for free (any make of car). What kind of car seat are you installing? There is a database at a Parentsplace.com child seat board that people post what seats work in what car (or don't work for that matter). This might help others who are shopping for seats.
    Thank you for your quick answer. I will relate your info to my dealer tomorrow. I think that it is unacceptable that he hasn't been able to find out how to get the anchor and how to install it yet. I knew I read about the anchors somewhere here, but I just couldn't find the info again.
    (There was someone on the boards who actually installed his own tether anchors, but I couldn't find his instructions either.)

I have two car seats -- a Britax Roundabout and a Century Accel. In fact, tomorrow I'm going to install whichever fits better without the tether. I hope to use the Roundabout because it is a better seat, but I'll use the one that's more stiff for now. (Since the car is only 2 days home, I haven't needed to take my son out in it yet. I've only driven the car 15 miles since then.) I'll also check out Parentsplace.com now.

Thanks again for your help!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Yours truly also drives a Forest Green Chrysler AWD minivan ;-p

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • harikharik Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Picked up a MPV 2001 LX for $22901(Plus tax plus title) with LX Security Package, 4 seasons Pkg, Dual Air Condtn, Fog Lights, Roof Rack with 4.90% (48 Months) financing + free life time oil change. I think it is a good deal (especially 4.90% financing). I could have probably gotten 300 - 400 less elsewhere, but 4.90% got me in. (BTW this is in Detroit Metro).

I wanted to trade in my 88 Mazda 626 -- 162000 Miles (Still running great folks). Dealer dude said "give it to charity". Any buyers ?? :-)
    Give these part numbers to your dealer:
    LCY2-57-77XB-05 (gray)
    LCY2-57-77XB-80 (beige)

The dealer should install them at no charge and they will need to cut the rear mat(federal regulation).

• drc67drc67 Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up our 2001 Sand Mica ES for 23900(before tax) + 4.9% for 48 months. We were trying to decide between ODY and MPV. What win us over is all the happy owners in this forum. Not to mention, $5000 saving, free leather, 180W audio system... oops, I got carry away :)

We were concern about the power, but we never need to haul anything heavy or huge like 4x8 plywood board. If we have to, I think we had save enough money to hire people to do it, oops, I did it again:)

The van handles very well, almost forgot it's a van when I drove it. Anyway, we are very please w/ our decision.
  • wpennerwpenner Member Posts: 25
    Before we purchased our van I called Mazda USA about the car seat installation in the second row (since folks on this forum had complained). They said they have had some calls about it. They said to give them our dealer info and their engineers will contact the dealer service people to work with them.

I just was at a playgroup where someone had literature about car seat installation. She came out to the van. She saw that the rigid seatbelts (the receptor part) in the second row made secure installation difficult and I should do the third row. I said no way. We did talk about a few strategies for tightening up the fit and I will report back. I also plan to ask the dealer technicians to look at it with Mazda engineers.

Wendy
    pjd58: I really like the beige interior...looks like a mocha, lol. Keeping it clean IS a bit of a chore, and soccer cleats are about as bad as they get for tracking in the junk...then there's mashed "Gushers," yuk. Luckily, we just purchased a snazzy home carpet steamer, and now it's just a matter of putting the soapy water in the machine and sucking away all evidence of the two kids' destruction.

Drew: I knew you were a genius...unless that'd be your wife...

ctk2: Just like Otish, we use the Fisher Price "Safe Embrace" seat, and it fits like a glove. If you're using it as a rear-facing seat tho, we found the front/back space a bit tight, (Mrs. Javadoc and I are "medium sized" at 5'-8") and had to raise the headrest a bit to clear the car seat, but wasn't bad. A couple extra inches of space would be better, esp for those taller folks I'm sure.

FWIW, I was talking to the service manager at the dealership the other day and he mentioned that Mazda was reportedly revising the 2nd row seats to both fit child seats better, and revising the buckles to be more accomodating. I'd guess that's a MY2002 revision.

--java
  • nyk33nyk33 Member Posts: 4
    This is in reference to message #1008. Yes my DX came with the power package and rear air and 6.9% for 60 mos. all for $23k From what I have been reading and comparing I think I got a pretty good deal. Thanks for all the great advice!!
    I hope that you got the info you needed for the tethers. If the dealer is uninformed they should be able to call for help with no problem (I talked to a customer service rep and they knew right off the bat what I was talking about).

I hate to say this but I had actually tried the Britax Roundabout in my van and ended up returning it because I had such a hard time getting it to fit. I actually took it to a car seat installation after trying on my own for a long time. The 2 guys who worked on it really stuggled but after about 30 minutes they got it secure. This was for rear-facing installation and that is usually more difficult anyway. The seat was in there rock solid but you wouldn't believe how much force it was using on the van's seat and making this deep indention. I didn't feel comfortable knowing I could not re-install myself so I returned the Roundabout. The seat is very nice but it was unmanageable for me (it kept popping out of recline when trying to install it and we would have to start over). So I went to the next recommended seat at the Parentsplace site - the FP Safe Embrace. It was a much better fit for the van. I had that one installed for rear-facing by a tech but did it forward facing myself and it took me maybe 2 minutes to do it. I realize this won't help you since you already own the Roundabout but maybe someone else who is struggling to find one. If you are installing it forward facing it may help to recline the van's seat back a little and remove the headrest while installing (that has helped some people). Again I would suggest finding a tech near you to install it because I have seen for myself what kind of 'wonders' they can perform.
    I called Mazda and they had no knowledge of the seat belt design being a problem. I also talked to the dealership but will talk to the techs when we get the tethers installed.

We did manage to get ours in securely (an Evenflo Medallion RF and a Graco Cherished Cargo FF) We did take the head rest off. It was just extremely difficult getting a god fit. We don't plan on chaing them often. When we get them in tight, I kneel in the seat while my husband tightens them. I went through an inspection one time and it took an inspector and a police officer and they still couldn't get them tight enough.

We are using the locking clip that comes with the cars seats instead fo relying on the safety belt to stay tight. Do we really need to do this?

In looking back at some of the old posts, I realized that there are other Oregonians. I forgot who bought from Kim at Sunwest. I contacted them about the Ody and after their price was higher than we wanted to spend, she suggested the MPV. They didn't have what we wanted there and our schedule makes it difficult to go there. I called Power in Salem and they quoted me over the phone, we had never even looked at a MPV before. They didn't change a thing and it was a real smooth transaction. It looks like we shopped a little too late, they only had 2 left, ours, and a base DX.

I live NE of Salem so if any of you are ever traveling down I-5 and you see a black LX, wave at me.

The more I drive the van, the more I like it.
  • smnoblesmnoble Member Posts: 1
    Thinking about purchasing an MPV. Between MPV, Sienna and Windstar. Just scrolled through and saw remarks on Roundabout Carseat. I own this Britax seat and don't want to switch- any advice?
    Hi - I was the one who tried the Roundabout and had a hard time with it rear-facing (although like I posted earlier it was secured by the Fit For a Kid guys who were new to doing it and had never done a Roundabout before so that may have affected it some. I personally could not do it rear-facing). Maybe your experience will be better - are you doing it front or rear-facing? I don't remember really how it worked forward facing because I was concentrating on getting it rear-facing at the time and knew it had to work that way first. (Incidently I never had any problems with my infant carrier seat w/base and always had a great fit).
    I just looked up the in the Parentsplace compatability database and there is an entry for the Roundabout forward facing for the MPV 2000 and it had a great fit and was checked by a tech. I took both the Roundabout and the Safe Embrace and tried to install RF in my neighbor's new Odyssesy and we had the same problem because the Odyssesy has the stalk of the seat belt coming forward of the crease. I really think that forward facing the Roundabout will work much easier. Take it with you and try it out in the van at the dealer.
    Well, I'm reporting back. After I called Mazda and got the part number I found out that my dealer already got the tether anchors for me. (I'm having them put in two right away.) They'll be installed next week.

In the meantime, I finally took my son out in the car and installed the Roundabout (forward facing) in the slide by side seat. I took the advice of latching it into the seatbelt when the seat was "loose on the track," then locking the seat into place in the center. It worked pretty well and I got a pretty tight fit without having to make deep dents in the leather seats. I'm sure It'll be even better when the tether is attached. (I've had the seat for a year and a half and it's a pretty expensive, so I can't return it and I really wanted to make it work.) At some point, when perhaps another little one comes along and I need to use a rear-facing seat, I'll probably use my infant carrier for the first few months, and then see what happens from there.

To blacklx: I just learned how to lock the slack in the seatbelt by pulling it out all the way. The belt gives very, very little slack in the locked position. To unlock it, pull it out all the way again. This works on all the seatbelts. (And to think all this time, I thought the seatbelt in my other car was malfunctioning because I kept on getting "locked" in.) So, you probably don't need to use the clip, but you might want to anyway. It can't hurt. Anyway, check the seatbelt section in the manual. They describe how to lock and unlock the slack on the the seatbelt better than I do.

By the way, my son loved the "new caaah." He can finally see out the front, which keeps him occupied and much more pleasant during long rides.

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice again.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    I wonder if this can be adapted to the MPV, hmmmm?

I visited Kansas City this weekend with a branch of the Contour Enthusiasts Group. We had a dyno session, then went to a restaurant/bar for some food, beverages and pool.

Anyway, saw a Vortech supercharged SVT Contour. It went first on the dyno, got to 250HP AT THE WHEELS.

Nice flat torque curve.

Just to give you an idea, my naturally aspirated SVT Contour did 159 HP at the wheels. The MPV would probably do about 125-135 at the wheels.

May have to put that on my shopping list.

TB
    So, the kit is available now, hmmmm? I had been watching for it, but hadn't seen a release of the Vortech kit. That gets the old gears a whirling, thx tb!

--java
    We're loving our van. We call it the "zoom zoom van" and our almost 2 year old always wants to go "bye-bye in zoom zoom."

The only things we've noticed, we can't get the CD player to load CDs. We have the 6-Cd changer and when we press the "load" button nothing happens, no beep, no matter how long we hold it in. Are we doing something wrong or is it not working?

Also, we kept hearing a "thump" kind of like something was sliding around and hitting something. We finally figured out that the brake pedal makes the noise when we take our foot off it. It happens with both my husband and I. If we're real gentle it doesn't happen. Is this normal or does something need adjusting?

Thanks for any suggestions. Also thanks for the car seat advice. This forum has been a great help.
  • toddmodemtoddmodem Member Posts: 19
    Hi blacklx,

I have a new 2001 LX that makes the same brake pedal noise that you're referring to. It seems like everytime you take your foot off the brake, you hear a "thump" noise in the back. I've been thinking that this is normal, but maybe it's not. It kind of sounds like something is releasing in the rear braking system. Hopefully someone out there can set us straight.

I have to say though, that this is one great vehicle and I haven't noticed any defects on it. No rattles, no broken plastic, no defective parts, (compare this to our previous Saturn, whose muffler fell off as we were leaving the dealership.)

BTW - Sorry I can't help with the CD player. I have the standard single player and all you have to do is gently put the CD in front of the opening and it sucks it in and starts playing it right away. I thought the 6 disc was the same. I'm assuming that all you would have to do is load all 6 (or less) in and then it should start up.

Cheers
    Todd
  • lungarlungar Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am thinking of buying an DX MPV. Have heard a lot about the engine: "weedy", "underpowered", "unrefined", "should not be mistaken for a performance vehicle", etc. Now , I am reading about an apparent problem installing child seats (have to install two). Any input ?
    Hi blacklx,

I have a new 2001 LX that makes the same brake pedal noise that you're referring to. It seems like everytime you take your foot off the brake, you hear a "thump" noise in the back. I've been thinking that this is normal, but maybe it's not. It kind of sounds like something is releasing in the rear braking system. Hopefully someone out there can set us straight.

I have to say though, that this is one great vehicle and I haven't noticed any defects on it. No rattles, no broken plastic, no defective parts, (compare this to our previous Saturn, whose muffler fell off as we were leaving the dealership.)

BTW - Sorry I can't help with the CD player. I have the standard single player and all you have to do is gently put the CD in front of the opening and it sucks it in and starts playing it right away. I thought the 6 disc was the same. I'm assuming that all you would have to do is load all 6 (or less) in and then it should start up.

Cheers
    Todd
    How fast do you want to go? If you're planning on making other cars eat your rubber at stoplights [though why you would want to with little kids in it I can't imagine], this van is too slow for you. If you're worried about not embarrassing yourself at stoplights or being able to merge safely into traffic--local or highway--then this van has all he power you'll ever need. The "power issue" was started by a couple of magazine reviewers who apparently think every car ought to be a muscle car. Look over the previous posts, and you'll see owner after owner wondering what the brouhaha is all about. And DO test drive it under as many conditions as you can. If you do, I don't think you'l be at all worried about the power.
    Shifting under load is a bit less refined than than in some other cars, but it's more of a talking point than anything else. With intelligent acceleration, the shifts are as smooth as anyone could want. No car is perfect [see Odyssey posts], but this one is pretty good.
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    I have an ES so the leather is there and slippery, I use a Princelionheart seavsaver rubber mat and that helps a lot.

I had trouble with the combination booster harness seat I was using initially, but have figured out how to get it installed pretty well. I have the Next Step DX model seat, but the tips will work for any forward facing seat. First I recline the captains chair a bit, then kneel in the seat and install it as tight as humanly possible, this is done in the usually position, just not leaning against the back, but forcing the seat down, not back, then I lock the shoulder belt into position. Then I bring the seat back up as tight as possible, this seems to remove any of the slack I was not able to get out, and finally I tighten the tether strap. With this technique I can get nearly no movement at the top of the seat, which is the critical point. Oh and I have to remove the headrest from the seat.

I agree that the seat belt design SUCKS, one would think that a family car would be tested for such things as ease of carseat placement wouldn't one.

Our rear facing seat is the Fisher Price Safe Embrace and it installs pretty easily in that position, I haven't had any concerns with the fit of that one. I will be turning it soon and then will also tether it.

Other than the carseats being difficult to fit, I love the van and find traveling with it and 2 small children to be so much easier.

Jane
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    You have to be sure you press the CD button on the top row before you load any CD's. If you push on the load button for about 2-3 secs it should tell you to "Wait" then it will tell you "In". The same operation is used to eject the CD's. If this is not what is happening then you need to take it in for service. There may be a wire that is disconnected.
    I really don't have any problems with this being a so-called underpowered vehicle! The people who drive this every day will tell you that it is not only adequate but more than adequate and actually a very fun vehicle. We have driven it on trips up to Minnesota and down to San Antonio and have not had any complaints. I am telling you that I have more people who make nice comments about how great my red ES looks too. I would not hesitate to buy one again and have had no problems with this one. As far as the car seat questions go I have posted many times about this trying to help people who have had some problems with fit but I assure that you can get a car seat in the van! It may take some effort and it may be easy - it just depends on the car seat. Some car seats may not be compatible with this van but that is true for ALL vehicles/car seats out there. We are just discussing this to try and help people who are having some difficulty. I have had to install car seats in the following vehicles: Saturn wagon (ugh!!), Chevy Lumina (not bad at all), Mercury Mountaineer (good for forward facing seat), Cadillac Deville (okay), Infiniti Q45 (terrible rear-facing but not hard forward facing), neighbors new Odyssey (difficult rear-facing, haven't tried forward) and this van (difficult rear-facing convertible, easy for infant carrier/base, easy for my forward facing Safe Embrace). My Safe Embrace can be installed forward facing in less than 2 minutes and is rock solid. I got some help to do it rear-facing but they easily did it in 2 minutes and it was also rock solid. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this van to you.
    The CD player must not be working right. I'm taking it in this week, or next for the tethers so I'll have them take care of it then.

I'm glad that we aren't imagining this thump. I'll ask about that also.

I agree, it's not easy to install all car seats but it is possible and they can fit tightly. We have a booster and a rear-facing convertible right now. We'll be turning the convertible around soon. It's a pain but it's not worth not getting the van.

Colleen
  • westanizerwestanizer Member Posts: 5
    The thump is caused by the subwoofer. Somehow there is some sort of electrical surge when the brake pedal is released that causes the sub to thump. I have no idea how to remedy it. Maybe Mazda has a fix for it. -Wes
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I have to agree with posting 1042. I don't think the engine is "weedy" at all unless you just came out of a Corvette. My red 2001 gets a wee bit over 22mpg. I'm driving 70 miles per day with A/C on most of the time (Houston...you gotta) running between 70-75mph. An increase in HP I'm afraid would draw a penalty of lower gas milage. I don't find the engine lacking in the stop & go traffic. I keep up with the other "big boys" just fine.
    But....owning one of these is a little time consuming. Everyone asks me "What is that"? Then you have to let them look at the van, crawl through it, marvel at the fact the rear seat folds away, the side windows go down.....I think I sold 10 MPV's for Mazda. Maybe I should start to ask for a commission.....
  • cinka1cinka1 Member Posts: 30
    Oh, this is too weird. I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it. When we first got the van ('00 ES) we heard the thump on the way home and figured out the brake was the thump. The CD part of the 6-CD player didn't work. I took the van back 2 weeks later to replace the CD player with a new one and have never noticed the thumping since. I never corrolated the thumping to replacing the CD, I just forgot about the thumping until I was reading the latest postings and realized I don't hear the thumping anymore.... hmmmmmm.
    hmmm.....I never thought that it might be the radio. The only thing is that, I don't have a subwoofer or 6 disc changer. I only have the 3 in one stock radio. The radio works and sounds great. Does anyone still hear this brake "thump" when the radio is off, or is it only if the radio is on. I work at a Radio Staion, so I'll have our engineers check it out and post the results.

BTW - Where does Mazda put the Subwoofer and how big is it? I haven't been able to find out the power of the stock 3 in one radio, but I'd swear it's the same as the "sport package" upgrade (ie: 3 in one, 80 watts, and subwoofer). The only difference being the added subwoofer.

Todd
  • westanizerwestanizer Member Posts: 5
    The sub is in the left side of the back where the jack is kept. It is in a protective plastic housing just above the tools. It appears to be an 8 inch sub. The total system power is 180 watts which I think is 25 watts to the fronts and rears and 80 watts to the sub. I imagine that the sub most likely has an outboard amplifier of some sort which is most likely the source of the thump. If anyone gets a fix for the thump from Mazda let us know. It is just a minor annoyance and I don't even really notice it much anymore. My van has been defect free so far knock on wood.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards