Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo

Comments

• gunny101gunny101 Member Posts: 11
    I just picked up my new car today, what a baby ;D

You can see a picture at http://www.robertblake.net/images/GunnyMOBILE.jpg

One thing however. I am forced to use the highways a lot everyday, which means it is impossible to honor the break in system :o
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    gunny 101 the rpm breakin for the ECHO as set out in Toyotas website (and all new Toyotas) is 4,000 rpm. That figure in the OM is just a guideline. At 4k rpm your ECHO should be going over 70 anyway (hard to figure but there are published figures for mph/rpm in the various gears...dont ask me where I read them....car and driver?) So it probably inst necessary to worry about exceeding the breakin in rpm on hiway trips.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Dude, there goes your clutch if you keep that kind of thing up...
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Just saw The Fast And The Furious last night and again today (missed the first five minutes last night) and let me say that I have been a little heavy on the gas. ; )

Darn fun car to drive.

Does anyone know where I can get some NOS? j/k
  • thooverthoover Member Posts: 49
    We just recently got the Blue ECHO all correctly fixed after the "deer harvest". We had to have it in body shops 3 times total to get it all fixed right. The last time we took it to a different place - I would never let the first place touch my cars again.

I came out of Church today to the Church parking lot to find my bumper bashed in with black paint streaks down the side. I am in Church from before 8:00AM till around 12:30 every Sunday, because I run sound in both services. I don't have any idea who did it. No note, nothing. Sad.

Oh well, I just felt like crying a bit with you folks who understand what it would feel like to have your ECHO get mashed. We are calling the Blue ECHO WRECKO...
    Do you think that your car was hit by some unknown driver or do you think there is a really inconsiderate person in your congregation?
  • janbeejanbee Member Posts: 127
    I had the same thing happen to my ECHO back in Feb...I had backed into a parking spot at the mall one evening (I was perfectly in my parking spot, ie,wasnt over the lines etc) I came out and found one side of my car side-swiped and dented, it was $1700 CDN to fix...you think that our cars are so small and fit so perfectly in their spots that no one could manage to hit it, wierd..
    I am quickly closing in on 10k and my next scheduled maintanence. Cannot believe I have driven that much.
  • fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    This could explain why you are getting better gas mileage then my Leganza.If it is a factory defect this could also explain levine90"s 0-60 times.
  • jelly_beanjelly_bean Member Posts: 1
    Well, hard to believe but I just surpassed the 50,xxx mile mark on my Echo. Glad to report not one problem thus far other than the annoying squeaky hubcap issue.

Happy Echoing!!
  • breckcobreckco Member Posts: 62
    I'm in the process of selling my 2001 Echo coupe with 5 spd and A/C. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum bought their Echo used and what the experience was like. How was the supply of used Echo's? What were the savings over new? If you're willing, I'd like to know what you paid for the car and a description of year, color, body style, options, condition and mileage. I'm trying to get a feel for the market and would appreciate any help.

Live Happy,

Chris
    Why are you selling your Echo?

The best suggestion I can make is to check out your local paper. Anything we post will not be worth anything unless we live in the same area you do.

Having said that, the market for used Echoes around here seems pretty tight. For the most part, the price for used Echoes is pretty close to the price for new Echoes.

Good luck and sorry to see you are having to let your Echo go.
    I would only have my speedometer (and odometer) checked if my Echo weren't getting better gas mileage than your Leganza.

I don't remember if you have a manual or automatic, but to make it a fair comparison I checked out the numbers for a manual Leganza since I have a manual Echo.

According to the fuel economy site, the Leganza gets 20 city, 28 highway and 23 combined while the Echo gets 34 city/41 highway and 37 combined. Given this, why is it so hard to believe that I am averaging 40 miles per gallon on combined driving?

Guess you're just jealous. Sorry about that, but that is your problem and not mine.
  • thooverthoover Member Posts: 49
    When we bought our 2001 ECHO, we looked at a used 2000 on a nearby lot. The price they were asking was about the same as new! I told them that, but they didn't seem to care, I guess it was a "starting point" for negotiations. It had about 8000 miles I think. I don't know what they ended up selling it for, but it was gone in a couple days on the lot.

majorthomecho, our Church lot is rural, nobody is parked in there unless they came to worship services or Sunday school. Pretty sad.
  • echorickechorick Member Posts: 27
    On May 18, 2001 I bought a used, 2000 white 2 door, A/C, 5 speed with 7,700 miles. No other options. Car was in excellent condition. It was a Toyota Certified used car bought from a dealer.

Asking price was $13,400, but with very strong negotiating I got the car for $8,800.

I really like my car and am averaging around 38 mpg in mixed freeway(55%)/city driving(45%). I have since added a Toyota CD player (bought on bay for $100) and tinted the rear windows.

The dealer in my area always seems to have about 10 to 13 new ECHOs on the lot. Is that unusual? I thought they were hard to come by, or was that only in the first year?
    What did you use in your negotiations? A baseball bat? Sounds like you really beat the dealer down on the price.
    I get the feeling that the guilty party is an older person. Do you have any old people known for parking by feel?
  • scaperscaper Member Posts: 9
    I just bought my new Echo last Friday night 7-20-01. My car has the 5spd. trans Combo Cass and Cd six speakers,air,clock,and mats. Listed for $12.855 and I paid $12.622 out the door with a five year tag and taxes included with temp tag here in Delaware at Price Toyota in New Castle. Tax (documentation fee for those in Delaware) Tags and dealer paper work fees alone were over six hundred dollars. I love it!!! I'm 6'7" tall and I fit, there's a mental picture for ya. I only have about 135 miles on her as of now but I'm getting ready to put a Yakima rack system on and have the windows tinted. I will say one thing for this car , you could hang meat in it when it cools down. I told my wife to invest in a sweater after I have the windows done. The sound quality of the system really surprised me when I put a Bach CD in. This thing is really a great little car, I know that some make fun of it's body shape but hey at 41 mpg they can laugh all they want. I'm used to 13 mpg from my Dodge Ramcharger and 14.5 mpg from my F450 with the 7.3 Navistar. I need MPG and this car provides that for me. So if anyone has any info on after market things like wheels, mud flaps, or body side moldings let me know where to get them. I'm also thinking about having cruise put in at the dealership it's around $300. Thanks for now Scaper
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    Just returned from London. No Echos there.
    Saw many cars the size of Echo, even Mercedes. Passed by just one Toyota dealership (in suburb) but could not stop. Also, did not see anything from GMC or Chevy but spotted some PT Cruisers. I thought the "Smart" car was cute but it is much smaller than the Echo. London mayor is trying to get commuting cars from outside London to pay access fee since traffic and parking in London are ghastly. He wants them to use public transportation such as trains, subway (the Tube), and buses. My prediction is that Londoners will still commute in their own car, pay the fee, and complain about the traffic the whole time. I would not want to take a bus when I could drive my Echo unless that access tax was a money killer. Fortunately, no such fee for me, yet.
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Member Posts: 112
    I got my Echo back from the repair shop last week, after having been rear-ended while waiting for another car to make a left turn. For a month I have been driving a Honda CRV, which is a good vehicle in its own way. But I am sure happy to have my responsive little Echo again. It also feels quite low to the road, after driving that tall SUV.
    A good CD to play to test out the sound system is the Back To Titanic CD. When the Irish band started playing, I thought the guy with the spoons was sitting next to me.
    I did omit two options that my new baby has Power steering and the HD service option with the rear heater ducts and HD rear defogger. Scaper
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Funny how people can't seem to believe how little gas the Echo needs! A guy told me with the price of gas I should go back to motorcycles...I told him my Echo gets more than my motorcycle ever did!
    As far as Echo's in Europe; I saw many Yaris' in Mallorca and wish we could get a hatchback version here! The Yaris also won European Car of the Year last year!
    I just wish someone would sell an upgrade instrument cluster...the digital display they have available is pretty cool!
    11.5k on my Electric Green 4-dr 5spd and average 37mpg...LOVE IT!!! I'd get more mpg but it's too fun to drive slow! :p
  • babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    Where is Mallorca?
  • cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    Big European tourist area and home of the famous Mallorcan pearls ( I think).
    I know it is pronounced My-York-Uh, but is it really spelled Mallorca?
  • lynnann1lynnann1 Member Posts: 85
    Welcome to another Delaware Echo owner. I bought mine last year from Newark Toyota Labor Day weekend.

Got ours for $13,500 -- same as options yours except it's an automatic - with the 5 year tags. Went to Price - didn't care for the sales pitch and the guy wouldn't let us drive it where we wanted.. The Newark salesman even let us take it home so I could see if I could fit a long pole in the car without the split rear seat (they didn't have one on the lot). I still wish we had been able to get that option.
    You're right - I have a string of them. They were a gift from my parents-in-law, who went there about 3 years ago.
    Yes, pearls are one of the things they are known for. It is also home of some high-end shoe factories and gorgeous beaches. Some countries spell it 'Majorca'-I think that's how the natives spell it. In Castillian it's Mallorca. :)
    I saw many 5-door Focus while there. I drove a Renault Clio 5-door(excellent car). Toyotas have a rep. similar to Mercedes there...well built.
    High Lynnann1 I love this little car it's very nice so far. Sorry about the sales pitch at Price, they were just the reverse to me, very helpful and great sales person named Larry Muldowney. He has been great with the whole process. My E-Mail is LEver39537@AOL.com if you ever want to chat about our new vehicles. I liked the auto but I love the response of the 5spd.. I have been doing what they said about not going over 65 mph and boy it's hard. This cars speed kinda sneaks up on you. Talk to you later. By the way I'm in the Middletown area and mine is the first I've seen in my neck of the woods. Scaper
    I scuffed a hubcap today. I have the plastic ones. Is it possible to get the scuffing and scratching out or should I just buy a new one from the dealer?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    if price isnt really a concern, or you feel the need for a new hubcap right now... (i dont know how to get scratches out) your best bet is probably the dealer...
    OTHERWISE...
    my friend just purchased a hubcap on ebay, for less than what the dealer was charging. you might want to try it... it was for a civic though, not an ECHO... but still, probably cant hurt to look.
    ~alpha
  • gsarchetgsarchet Member Posts: 8
    I just bought (7/21) a 01, 2-dr, 5spd, AC, rear defogger/heater, single cd, floor mats for 11,800+ tax and license in a very pleasant buying experience (will recommend offline). I am 6'3" tall, and after driving and researching Civic, Corolla, and ahemmm....Focus....I found Echo to be the most economical, roomiest, and fun to drive. The Echo was bought as a city run-about car, for errands and toting kids, etc...our other vehicle is a 01 Honda Odyssey--(phenomenal vehicle). Kids love the Echo as well, and can easily slip in and out with the sliding bucket seat release mechanism. Little ones can buckle themelves easily. Very spacious in back, even for grown adults--MUCH more than others. The sound system is much more than I expected and am very satisfied with it: I am a professional musician and give it a stamp of approval. I play "standup bass" and the instrument fits in easily, as it did in previously owned 76 Celica and 87 Tercel.
    I find that the car fits our needs precisely.
    I live and work in the Bear/Glasgow area. I learned to drive a manual enough to get around in an emergency, but didn't like it enough to have to do it all the time.

I love my little car, although I had to talk my husband into it, because he wanted a Focus. He's now glad I talked him into the Echo. I can't recall the names of our salesmen at either dealership - terrible - I should at least remember the guy we bought the car from.

I don't see other Echos everday, but when I do I usually see more than one and then no more for days or weeks. Mine is silver.

She seems to love to go at about 60.

My email echo2000t@aol.com
    I am taking my Echo in tomorrow for its second oil change and tire rotation. I have an appointment set up and going to have them do the tether upgrade at the same time. I am also going to ask them to check out the air conditioning. I think it is fine, but if it can be even cooler, that's okay too. I am also going to price out a new hubcap. Can I buy just one? I feel so guilty about scraping one like that. Almost seven months of driving and that is the first blemish I have put on the car myself.

Not that I suspect anything, I am going to mark my tires 1, 2, 3, 4 (very small and in chalk). That way if the dealership does not rotate the tires, I will know.
    How do you get your Echo to go so slow? ; )
    Slow Echo?

Actually I don't do much highway driving around home and 60 feels very good on the roads I normally travel. On the highway, I find myself doing about 70. For me, it doesn't feel comfortable to go above that speed.
    I ask because my Echo (also called Major Thom) seems to want to go at least 70 when I get on the highway. As I like to follow the speed limit, I normally keep him at 65 or slower. I have had him up to 95 mph and trust me, it feels rock solid.
    I bought my Echo at Jay Wolfe Toyota in Kansas City Missouri. This was back in December. I remember the complete name of the Internet Manager, but I only remember the first name of the salesman. How rude is that?
  • dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    Got the tether anchors replaced after the info appeared here. Never got a notice in the mail, however.And this is at the same dealership where I bought the car. Thanks again for this information and the generally helpful people on the ECHO board! And the ECHO is just as cool as ever after 4600 miles.
    Don
  • spiehlerspiehler Member Posts: 13
    The dealer wanted $13,400 for a 2000? Geez! A person could buy a new one for that!

This is why I hate buying a car. I'm sure not all salespeople or dealers are scum, but it sure seems that way. I am far from a tough negotiator, but I did walk out of my first Toyota dealer when the guy told me, "This is the price, no lower." He didn't even give me a chance to raise my offer, and that was after I'd been there over an hour. I ended up going through autobytel and paying $300 more than I wanted to. On the plus side, I handled most of it by phone and email, and went to the dealer only to pick up the car.
  • apioapio Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I've been driving stick for four years now. I've had my Echo for 7 months. Still, I find that I am constantly wondering whether my shifting skills are, like, really that good. I adhere to the manual's stipulated speed ranges, but I feel I could be much better informed. I don't seem to find any kind of tutorial on the net, which surprises me. And I don't remember any specific instruction given at school way back in driver's ed. (I pretty much followed along with the fake wheel, and congratulated myself for not crashing into the video road.) Did you guys all learn by doing? Is there any nifty textbook out there that would make me a gear-shifting expert?

One of the things I would like to know would be, like, Is it OK for me to get the car out of gear and coast to a stop light rather than down shifting the way my dad tells me to? Ain't I saving gas that way? Or am I wearing out an important hoogeewhatsit by doing so?

Thanks.
    It has been so long ago that I am not quite sure how I learned to drive a stick. It had to have been in my sister's VW Beetle as that was the only manual car in our household. Think my parents just threw me in the driver's seat and they hung on for dear life. ; )

Don't feel bad, I have been driving for almost three times longer than you and sometimes I wonder if my stick shifting couldn't be better. Your questions sound like ones I had myself not long ago.

You should downshift and let the engine brake the car rather than shifting out of gear and pressing on the brakes. When you get to a lower speed and close to the stop sign, then you start pressing on the brakes. Just before the car stalls, press in the clutch and stop the car. This is the advice I was given.

One problem with throwing it into neutral and using the brake from some ways back is that the car is going by momentum and not really by engine power when you do that. If something happened that required you to move out of the way quickly, you could not.

Hope this helps a little.
    My Echo has the rear spoiler which I am thinking about having removed. Does anyone know how big the holes drilled into the trunk lid are? How easily can the spoiler be removed and these holes filled in and painted? Do you think that the paint job in those places would closely match the rest of the trunk lid? I would have it done by my Toyota dealer's body shop.

Also, I have acquired some more chips in the paint on the hood (going down all the way to the metal). I don't think I do a very good job in touching up. Do you think the quality that could be done by the body shop is worth the expense or should I just keep touching them up myself?

Any advice is appreciated.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Unless you are going to cover the front end with a nose cover, cover them yourself. You are going to get more of them there. Also, why do you wanna take off the rear spoiler? I think the Echos with the spoilers on the back are neat. :)
    I agree with Major, the spoiler looks nice on the rear deck lid. I was considering one for my car. Please let me know why you are taking it off if there has been a problem. I don't want to make a mistake and then be in the same boat your in. If you decide to take it off and want to sell it let me know also. Thanks caper
    Well, after only 10k miles, my HO zenon bulbs(Sylvania Cool Blue) has burnt out! They provided amazingly white/bright light but didn't think it would burn out so soon. I do a lot of night driving and desert night driving requires a lot of light. I will be looking to see what other types of bulbs are available. I've thought about PIA bulbs but at $60 I might as well have driving lights installed. Has anyone installed driving lights?
    Majorthomecho: why do you want to remove the spoiler? I like the way mine looks with it!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    If you are looking for a new car and find that the one you want has a spoiler that you don't want, ask the dealer if he/she will swap the trunk lid with another car of the same color. Not sure what the labor charge would be, but the dealer would make out on the labor and on selling a spoiler to someone else. Then again, if the dealer was hard pressed to make a sale, it might be done for free as part of the deal. Just a thought for those facing this situation.
    I find that I am liking the look of the Echoes without the spoiler. Simple as that. Nothing wrong with the spoiler or anything. Just a cosmetic thing.

To the poster who wanted to buy my spoiler if I take it off. My Echo is black and I live in Missouri so either one of those facts would probably prevent you from buying it. If I take it off, I might just keep it.

Probably do what another poster suggested and see about doing a complete trunk lid swap.
    I just got back from the dealer's service department where I had the oil changed, the tires rotated, the air conditioning checked, and the tether upgrade done.

Just as a precaution (not that I really doubted them), but I marked my tires so I could make sure the tires were rotated. The tires were rotated in a front to rear and visa versa manner.

The air conditioning was neither undercharged or overcharged and is putting out as cold of air as it can. It feels pretty good to me, but if it was capable of doing better in the 110 degree (heat indices) weather we have been having, it would have been even better.

Not sure what exactly was done in terms of the upgrade, but I got to watch them do part of it because the service department's waiting room is upstairs and has a window that looks out into the service bay. Got boring after a while so I sat down and started reading Tom Clancy's newest novel.

I hereby claim post #2000!