Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Echo

Comments

• Options
    babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    The dealership that sold me my Echo sent me a birthday card ... for my Echo. It is one year old this month. It has traveled 6500 miles.

This week I read that the Prowler, Camero, and Firebird models will be discontinued within the next two years. Hope my memory is correct on these model names. Someone reported recently that Toyota was bringing an Echo hatchback to the U.S. and then this report that the Echo will be discontinued. Makes me think that rumors doth fly too high.
  • Options
    majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I am the one who posted about the Echo hatch coming to these shores. A story I saw in an AutoWeek special issue. And it is not definite. Toyota is just thinking about it.
  • Options
    I cannot imagine Toyota being able to make a model that is about thirteen inches shorter than the Echo and still being able to fit five people inside.

The Echo may not be selling in the numbers that Toyota wants, but I don't think a replacement of the size rumored will do any better.

For me personally, the Echo is the limit as to how small a car I will buy.
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    That is a HUGE car it seems. But I guess not considering garages are usually at least 20 feet long.
  • Options
    kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I believe the Yaris is about that size...the main difference is the front and rear crumple zones aka hood and trunk. The US models only share the doors with the Yaris et al. Picture your Echo witht the rear ending at the rear wheel and the front the same.
    My Echo is now 1 year and one month old!!! 19,700miles and no complaints!
  • Options
    If you think that 12 1/2 feet is huge, then you must think the Echo is a whale because it is 13 1/2 feet long.

If the Echo is going bye bye and being replaced by a vehicle that is a foot shorter, I bet it will be the Echo hatch perhaps sold under it's European name.

I don't see how there would be any way to make a sedan 12 1/2 feet in length and have room for five passengers.

If the rumors are true, I think Toyota should do themselves a favor and make more equipment, such as a clock and a tach, part of the standard package.
  • Options
    It just seems that I could hit an ECHO along my bedroom wall which is a little more than 12 feet long.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    When did you start noticing the decreased fuel economy? And does Oregon change its fuel formulation in the winter to an ethanol blend as do some states? Some cities/states do it around Nov. 1, others (like mine) have it year-round now due to lower emissions. That could explain the decrease in mpg, because the ethanol blend will reduce gas mileage. Cold weather (although I don't consider 50 to be too cold) also tends to decrease mpg in my experience. The combination of the two could easily drop mpg from 41 to 36, which seems like a lot but it's only a little over 10%. In my cars I've noticed a 2-3 mpg drop just because of cold weather, but that was with cars getting 30-35 mpg, not 41.
  • Options
    thooverthoover Member Posts: 49
    I also have experienced the dramatic changes in MPG with the seasons. We track all our gas purchases and odometer readings. We chart a 5 tank average to get a smoother result. The lowest ever in the depths of last winter was 31.5 (depressing). This past summer we topped out in the 5 tank average above 43MPG, and were there for over a month in August/Sept time frame. However, the overall average for the life of the car (29,000 miles, automatic) is 38.4MPG.

My most recent average is 40.3 and the tanks are much more variable than normal. I think some of the stations have the winter gas and some don't around here in November. So far the winter here has been very mild.

Merry Christmas everyone - remember while you celebrate Jesus' birth that He will return for his children!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, please remember that the copyright portion of your Membership Agreement requires that you actually own a picture if you wish to use the "img src" tags to display it in your message.

Links to pictures on other websites are welcome, though - as long as there is no contrary TOS at the host site, of course.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    mpearlmpearl Member Posts: 7
    My Echo is eleven months old now so to celebrated. I washed it for the first time. The dirt and mud protected the finish real nice.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You just washed the car for the first time in 11 MONTHS? You should be shot... (Just kidding) :)
  • Options
    mcvarneymcvarney Member Posts: 8
    I checked my records and found that the fuel economy really started to take a dive around the beginning of October. The average was in the 40's until early September. Apparently this jives with what the rest of you are saying--thanks for the feedback! : )
  • Options
    wrgrahamwrgraham Member Posts: 112
    We wont hit 2 years with our 4 door Echo till March, but we have 41000 miles already. Certainly there has been no problem at all with the clutch. My only first hand comment on any clutch issues is that I once thought I would try a hot start on the street to see how it went. I rev'd the engine somewhat, maybe up to 3000 rpm and held it. Then I didnt pop the clutch, but I let it out much more quickly than usual, giving gas too. No bogging, no tire squeal, just a fast start. But as I drove off I could smell the clutch rather strongly. So I don't make a practice of this.
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Just got notification of another recall concerning cold weather interfering with the power braking system. (There was a very similar one issued in the fall of 2000 as well.)

To access the recall information, load http://www.nhtsa.gov and click "Recalls." You can search for the 2000 Toyota ECHO, or refer to campaign number 01V326000.

I hope that this problem was already corrected for the 2001 model year.
  • Options
    pogo11pogo11 Member Posts: 7
    Any thoughts about the Echo Automatic transmission? Everyone I've read about here seems to have the manual transmission. Wondering about the AT's pros and cons, reliability, pickup 0-60, gas mileage, availablilty, etc......

I've been researching the car for a friend who doesn't access the internet. After reading back a few hundred post I have to say the car sounds great, reliable, ROOMY, peppy, I had been considering a Civic, but after visiting here, I want to test drive an Echo! Would love to see a hatchback version reach our shores, as some have suggested might happen..

Well, there's no activity on this board for a few days, hope some of you still come here occassionally, would love your feedback on the auto trans!

HAPPY NEW YEAR......Chris
  • Options
    photoboyphotoboy Member Posts: 18
    pogo 11 -- the automatic transmission is great! I do a lot of in-traffic driving and wouldn't even consider a 5-speed because of that. The vehicle is plenty peppy, gets great gas mileage and if you need to downshift instead of braking to keep from sliding on wet surfaces, just engage the overdrive out button on the shifter.. it's great. I love my Echo because of the ease of getting in and out; the Civic sits on the ground for crying out loud. Yes, the Civic is probably better made as far as materials go, but the Toyota is hard to beat and you can bargain with those folks. Drive, it... you'll like it. Oh, make sure the little blue light on the dash it out (a warming up thingy) before you judge how much power it has.
  • Options
    No choice for me when I ordered my Echo. It had to be an automatic transmission. Not only was an auto my preference but the wife, who drives it more than I do, never has learned to use anything but.
  • Options
    ml91ml91 Member Posts: 26
    My Echo does not have an automatic transmission, but my 1996 Corolla does. Toyota automatic transmissions have a history of being very reliable; the transmission in my Corolla works perfectly, even after 84,000 miles. This is a good thing to keep in mind when shopping for a car; it costs well over $1,000.00 to have an automatic transmission rebuilt.
  • Options
    echo01echo01 Member Posts: 19
    I bought a new red Echo around the middle of 2001 and am very happy with it so far; I've managed to put about 8000 miles on it. Here are a few comments and my impressions.

First off, I must say that this is a fun car to drive, and has plenty of power. 108 horsepower is obviously plenty for a car that weighs only a little more than 2000#. During the breakin period it was not easy keeping it below 55 mph. The engine also seems smooth and quiet to me for a 4-cylinder one.

There is lots of interior room in this car for the driver: I am rather tall and have more than enough headroom. That is not true of very many other small cars for me. The legroom is also adequate, though at first I wasn't sure it was going to be enough. It takes some getting used to, since the seating position is different: more like maybe a small van or SUV, I think. However, I've driven several trips during which I drove for over 5 hours non-stop, and felt comfortable the whole way.

I probably got one that's on the "light" side as far as options go: manual, two-door, power steering, a/c and the standard 4-speaker radio with a tape player. I would just as soon have had manual steering, but that would have meant no air conditioning, which I absolutely wanted.
    I elected to get one without the plastic body trim; I think the red ones look better that way. This is a matter of personal taste: I looked at them each way; I actually think the trim enhances the looks on some of the dark colors like the black and dark blue.

I can always easily find my car in the parking lot; I think it is a nice and distinctive looking car.

Everyone asks about gas mileage, though gasoline is so cheap right now that this doesn't matter much with a car like the Echo. But anyway, mine varies from about 35-36 if I just do in-town driving, up all the way to 44-45 if I go on a long drive and don't need to use the air conditioner.

I like manual transmissions, so of course my Echo had to have one. Some have commented that it has a "notchy" feeling, and I agree, but I don't think this is a problem. I've never had trouble "finding" a gear, and it shifts smoothly; it's just a little different than other cars I've driven. One odd thing is that the engine revs stay up at first while shifting, but I was told by the service department that this is the way they're supposed to work. Just sounds different.

I am used to driving small cars, so the Echo was a natural choice for me. I've never had any trouble controling it, nor has it ever felt like it was going to "tip over". And those "narrow" tires are really not; at 175mm, they are 10mm wider than ones I had on a previous Toyota. I've had it in moderate winds, and it just handles like a small car - no problems. (I imagine lots of the reviews and comments on these things are from people used to driving cars that are much bigger.)

I think the Echo is a good value for the price. And I like the fact that you can get it without things like power windows and doors if you don't want them.

It didn't take me any time at all to get used to the "center" speedometer. In fact, on my old car, I had a clock and radio in the center and was always glancing over, so this is no different.
    Now that I have an Echo, this position seems like the best place for the speedometer; it is actually easier and faster to take a peek at versus the traditional position. (And since buying my Echo, I've driven other cars with "ordinary" positioned speedometers; there is no problem re-adjusting.) I've concluded that this issue is a big red-herring.

I have a few minor complaints, which I'll post later, but overall I am very satisfied. And thanks to the people on this message board for all of the information, which helped me in my decision on what car to buy.
  • Options
    echo01echo01 Member Posts: 19
    My summary of my Echo experience really wouldn't be complete without mentioning things I wish were different. None of them are enough to make me less than satisfied, but anyway.....

1) I'd like an engine temperature gauge. The lights are fine as long as everything is working right, but when the engine is overheating, you need to know when it is _getting_ hot, not when it has _already_ overheated. So in five or so years down the road, I'll probably add one, so I don't have to worry about overheating on a hot summer day driving over a mountain pass. (By contrast, I don't miss a tachometer at all; these always seem superfluous to me anyway.)

2) Thicker sheet metal would be nice. The front fenders in particular are very thin - just tap them with your finger and you'll see. I would imagine these will dent easily. I think they went too far in saving weight; an extra 50 pounds in the sheet metal would give a more durable body and not add much to the cost, nor detract much from the gas mileage.

3) Having something more than cardboard (I think!) separating the trunk from the back seats would be good. I think that the way things slide around in the trunk, that cardboard separator will not hold up that well. (I do not have the fold-down rear seats; this might not be an issue in that case.)

4) Maybe this is inevitable because of the car's shape, but when I roll down a window in the rain (e.g. to get the mail) I get _lots_ of rain in the car. I've seen little aftermarket rain-guards for above the windows; I need to investigate.

And.... I can't think of any more right now!!
  • Options
    Congratulations! I have had mine for a little more than a year and have the same comments as you. I don't know why the car magazines made such a big deal about the tire size...so many small cars share the same size. I don't miss a tach either because if you're accelerating, you don't have time to look at the thing anyway.
    Happy motoring!
  • Options
    BusinessWeek Magazine, January 14, 2002, page 87:

"2002(will be)one of the most difficult years carmakers have faced in a decade."

"Toyota is definitely on a roll, thanks to its expanding lineup, a reputation for quality, and solid, if unexciting, design."

"Toyota probably won't nabe the No.3 spot in 2002 unless Chrysler stumbles badly."

"...one thing is certain: The momentum in Motown clearly lies with the foreign carmakers."
  • Options
    aeroterremeraeroterremer Member Posts: 79
    It has been my obervation that the 2002 4-dr Echoes have a more slanted back roof than the 2000-2001 models, resembling the 2-dr models more. I personally prefer the squarish look of the previous two years.
  • Options
    It shouldn't have. It must be the way the car looked or something. There were no styling changes for 2002 like that, otherwise it would have neen mentioned in the press already.
  • Options
    It's amazing how different the Echo looks depending on the color and options. A lot of people think mine is different, i.e. longer, because I have a rear spoiler and pinstriping that visually stretch the car. I saw a white 4-door without cladding and it too looked like a different car.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Man I actually found a board that like the Echo. The C&D board hates it (styling) except for those people who actually own one.

Too bad I axed the Echo off the my shopping list (mainly Luxury features).
  • Options
    nodakernodaker Member Posts: 20
    In Oct of 2001 I traded in my SUV Chevy Blazer for an 2002 ECHO. Most people thought I was insane, but they weren't paying to fill my gas tank up either. I absolutely love this car and have no regrets about unloading what I considered the most unsafe vehicle on the road, but there are several things that I am a bit disappointed in. I just found this sight last night and have gleaned through most of the 2000+ posts to see if the problems were addressed (they were), but of course there is always two sides. Since I have not had my ECHO when the weather has been very warm (I live in North Dakota), and especially now that winter is really here -- I am quite upset about the gas mileage. I did take it back to the dealer and they did drove it with an instrument that was to accurately measure the mileage. They told me they got nearly 50 mpg on the highway and 31 in town. Fancy instrument or no, that is definitely NOT what my calculations are coming up. I'm *lucky* if I get 25 mpg in town. Highway mileage I have no problems with. We have had a very mild winter (of course, still much colder than what most people drive in), but I shudder to think what the mileage will drop to when the temps actually go below zero. I have not had to let the car warm up very much (I have an auto-starter), and I do realize that letting the car sit and warm up does use up gas for which no miles are being clocked. I'm hoping to see much better gas mileage come warmer weather. If anyone out there lives in the very cold climates like I do -- are you seeing this 25 mph or less, in-town mileage? Unfortunately, most of my driving is around town, averaging about 6 miles a day. I was hoping to at least get 30 mpg.

I can also smell a rotten egg smell occasionally. The dealer told me this was *normal* and had something to do with the catalytic converter. It is only intermittent. I was told to use a one-step better grade gasoline. I'm now using Amoco Silver. I still get a whiff now and then of this odor so I'm not convinced that was the fix.

The other thing I've noticed, and I haven't read about it here is a weird hesitation sensation when I drive in the 25-30 mph range. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's as though the engine isn't getting enough fuel and it slows down and speeds up without me doing anything to the gas pedal. It's not jerky, just slightly noticeable -- sort of like the feel of a cruise control adjusting speed by auto adjusting the flow of fuel. It does not happen if I go over 35-40 mph. Again, the service people explained this away as due to the *low torque*. They keep telling me that everything is normal. Unfortunately, I don't trust them.

I have been very pleased with every aspect of this vehicle and I hope what I've explained is just part of living in a cold climate. I never paid much attention to the actual gas mileage in my Blazer. It stunk and that was the bottom line. I knew it was awful so why keep a track record. However, when one buys a car FOR the gas mileage it then matters.

I can say, without a doubt, the heat in the ECHO is the best of any vehicle I've owned. This puppy can pour out the heat -- very appreciated in these here parts.

Appreciation and thanks for any feedback.
  • Options
    dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    Echo mileage was always in the 38-42 range very consistently thru break-in, very cold weather [for us], and regular use. More on the 38 side for more city driving and up around 42 overall with more hiway miles.45-47 on straight interstate driving.Had one 300 mi. trip with a lot of country road cruising at 50-60 mph in fifth gear that was 55 mpg or so.Rarely if ever filled the tank at less than 400 plus miles or so.Only time it had hesitation was if I was runnning too low speed for the gear I was in.I do drive for economy to note with the figures above, but many other owner on this site [that no doubt drive faster than I normally do] give similar results.You may have a lemon in some form as the cars consistently perform well. If I wasn't so stinking lousy at a manual, I would still definitely have the car. Traded in after one year fora 2001 Corolla LE but almost traded for an echo w/AC and auto trans.
    Hope this helps some!
    Don
    Nashville TN
  • Options
    pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    nodaker:
    I am surprised that you didn't have a block heater installed. My 2001 Echo has one now (cost about US$ 50) and I plug in the car every evening (with a timer) so it gets warmed up about 1 hour every morning. Temperatures where I live have been around 32 F and mileage is a consistent 40 MPG (in summer my average was close to 43 MPG).

By the way, starting your engine to warm it up and letting it idle is both bad for the engine and for the environment. It is much better to let it idle for may be 20 seconds and start afterwards. Don't rev the engine until the blue light goes out! And, consider using a synthetic oil, at least in winter. A 0W30 weight would be optimal but a 5w30 should be fine as well.
  • Options
    echosoxechosox Member Posts: 6
    I've also noticed a decline in in-traffic mileage since the weather turned colder (although not actually cold yet, here in Mass.). I was getting a pretty consistent 32-33 mpg, now it's down to 27 mpg or so. My guess is that it's a combination of driving when the engine isn't at an ideal temperature, and using the defroster, which seems to automatically turn on the AC compressor. Or maybe I just need new filters or something.

I've also heard that some states, esp. in the Midwest and West, require changes in wintertime gas composition - something to do with raising ethanol content. Supposedly this can knock 10%+ off of mileage, though I really don't know for sure.
  • Options
    In reading the responses I forgot to mention that I have an automatic transmission, so hesitation in the lower speeds is not due to my shifting.

I am very concerned that my gas mileage is not what it should be but the dealership has told me that they are getting figures consistent with what is expected for the vehicle. However, the math just doesn't come up when I calculate it between fill-ups. I KNOW I'm not getting the mileage they say I am. So what's the next step.?. Do you think the rotten egg smell and low mileage is related? Personally, I do.

Headbolt heaters work great if you are near an electrical outlet . I usually only warm the car for about 5 minutes or less. Most of the time the blue light is still on when I get into the vehicle. I am very consciencous about our environment -- hence the main reason I jettisoned the SUV. I'm a tree-hugging vegan who, unfortunately, has Raynaud's disease. I'd give anything not to have to warm the vehicle up slightly. Back to the gas mileage, on would not think this minimal amount of warm-up time would cause the less than ideal gas mileage, or does it impact it that much?
  • Options
    jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    anyone know if echo will still be available for 2003 and if so, will it be bigger?
  • Options
    If temps are getting down in the Dakota's, I do not know if more drop in mpg would be expected or not. [How would a TN hillbilly know about things like this??]I know I have seen the sulfur smell mentioned before in other websites,and I believe this may vary somewhat normally with the type of gas used and the running conditions.Not really a problem in most cases. Could the hesitation in your car be the auto trans not shifting quickly enough at a certain speed? Or is it like a fuel supply issue?
    In regards to warm-ups, you see a lot of recommendations to warm-up the car 30 sec. to maybe a minute in real cold weather and then drive at moderate speeds till the light goes off. I think that is valid in most cases. But when it gets really cold here in TN, you are inevitably running the defroster and scraping for 3-5 minutes or longer. I would be sure the idling does eat away at the gas mileage in these circumstances esp. on shorter trips of 10-15 min. or less. This is very easy to see if you drive a Prius that has the average and instantaneous mpg indicators. And I am sure this happens with other cars also.
    Don
  • Options
    The ECHO will still be available for 2003 and it will be "refreshed." The size will stay the same but it will get some slight restyling, always for the better.
  • Options
    I have been getting 35mpg average w/80/20 town/highway driving in Los Angeles. My Echo is a 5spd. The worst I have gotten was 29mpg w/very heavy stop and go and hard accelerating. The best was 42mpg on level highway driving.
    Recently, my mileage had been slipping; replaced the air filter and changed oil (I use mobil 1 5-30 and change every 5k)and the mileage went back up dramatically. The air filter is very small so if it's dirty, you'll have much poorer performance.
    Also, tire pressure at 33psi improved mileage a lot over 32psi.
  • Options
    Don writes:
    >Could the hesitation in your car be
    the auto trans not shifting quickly enough at a certain speed? Or is it like a fuel
    supply issue?

It 'feels' like a fuel supply issue. My husband insists I'm letting up on the gas pedal (I'm not). He says he notices that in this vehicle once you let up on the gas pedal you slow down much quicker (probably the torque thing) which would make sense. What I'm experiencing is a fluctuation while I'm applying steady pressure to the pedal -- but only in the 20-30 mph range. Of course, this is the majority of my driving.

As far as warming the car up, again, I try to keep it to a minimum, but as you suggest if you don't warm it up a bit you do spend a lot of time scraping windows, running the defroster etc. It is not very safe driving with frosted up windows. We have had a very mild winter -- only a few days below zero, but when the temps go to -20 or -30 which they will do on occasion, I wouldn't even think of driving a vehicle that had not warmed up for at least 5 minutes. I think when the manual says not to warm a car up in cold weather -- cold to the manufacuturer is probably 20 degrees :-)

I am starting to think that my poor fuel economy is the colder temps coupled by my short trips around town. On a trip we took last month I got 47 mpg. I can not complain about that, I just wish the in-town mileage was a bit better than 25. I hope to see some improvement as the weather warms up. My husband and are are very particular about car maintenance and always change the oil, filter, etc. at 2000 miles like clock work so that would not be the cause of less than wonderful gas mileage either. I only have 2500 miles on the car so maybe it will improve with age also.

This is a nice forum for Echo lovers. It really is a fantastic car in so many respects. We had a Corolla LE on order as we had owned a Corolla many years ago and just loved it. The dealer called us when a Echo came in and said we should come take a look at it. (We are in the age group the Echo was not targeted for -- like middle aged .) We were immediately drawn to the amount of room and seating position. The next day I called the dealer and told him to put a *SOLD* tag on the Echo and we drove it off the lot that night. Our Corolla came in about 3 weeks later and I didn't feel one pang of regret. I'm almost afraid to admit that we got a silver one -- yeah, that boring, common color :-) I still think it looks very nice though.
  • Options
    janbeejanbee Member Posts: 127
    On wed I had the tires rotated, oil changed & both recalls done, also had them install new wiper blade inserts and ordered a touch-up paint pen...total cost to me $80 CDN...also on thurs I had her windows tinted, it looks great (especially since my car in black)...I would love to get rims and new wider tires, but that might just be too costly for me..has anyone done this????
  • Options
    For some reason, I thought your Echo was Absolutely Red. Guess not. Black cars get hot as anything inside without tinted windows. I used to have a black 2001 Protege that would sear inside before I got the windows tinted.

I have never seen an Echo with a wheel/tire package, but I am sure you can get one. Check out http://www.tirerack.com for more info and a pic model of the Echo with the wheels you pick for it.

• Options
    I remember someone posting earlier about a whistling sound made by the engine. I have recently noticed mine doing the same. It only happens under partial throttle in 3rd gear or higher. My gas mileage hasn't changed and it stops under full throttle so I am going to wait till my 30k service to check it out.
    Has anyone else had this happen and have you had it checked out?
  • Options
    Both of my Mazda Proteges (1999 and 2001) used to whistle, and there was never a problem with either one of the engines as a result. I have never driven an Echo further than a test drive, so don't know if the engine in those whistles as well. In the Mazdas, it never caused a problem. Also, I was not the only owner to hear it either.
  • Options
    Yeah, the echo has a lot of good room in it esp. with the 4-door type. If you got 47 mpg on a long trip that was pretty good. Bet it was warmer back then too. At 20-30 F if you are warming it up and running defroster, add short trips, add winter re-formulated gas, add denser winter air the car travels thru and your mileage would be a lot lower. Remember the one poster who got a really good 43 mpg overall in the summer and then down to 30 or so during the winter- a whopping 13 mpg difference. As for the Prius, short trips in the winter with defroster use just kill its mileage. One last reminder- tire pressure goes down about 1 psi/10 F drop so a check of that would be good.There may be another BIG culprit for mpg drop. Iwould run the tires at least at the recc. pressure of 30 probably closer to 32 psi cold pressure first-thing-in the-morning check.
    Cheers,
    Don
    P.S. Silver looks like one of the best colors for the echo, IMHO.
  • Options
    Most Echos I see on the road are either silver or dark green. And more sedans than coupes too. And also, more with the body cladding than without.
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Let me make sure I understand correctly: It's winter and you're in the Dakotas. You let your car idle to warm up and then you drive only SIX miles/day in town.

I'd say you are lucky to get 25 mpg, too.

Also, here is how I calculate real-world mileage:
    1) At gas station, fill up until pump automatically shuts off. Reset trip odometer.
    2) Drive as usual until tank is no more than 1/4 full.
    3) Return to gas station and refuel (with same station and pump if possible) until pump automatically shuts off.
    4) Divide the trip odometer reading by the amount of fuel dispensed in step 3, and you'll have your fuel economy for the driving you just did.

It's important to run the tank down as far as possible before refueling. The variability of the pump shutoff introduces error into the calculations, and spreading that error over more gallons of fuel minimizes the impact of that error.
  • Options
    >Let me make sure I understand correctly: It's winter and you're in the Dakotas. You
    let your car idle to warm up and then you drive only SIX miles/day in town.

Pathetic isn't it. If I didn't live in the Dakotas (with our wind !!) I'd be walking, but it's just too cold in the winter. Anyway, you make me feel better about the 25 mpg figure, and I'm even more confident that the mileage will improve greatly as the weather does. Thanks for the hints on calculating the gas. I have been doing more or less how you suggest, but have been re-filling at the 1/2 tank level and not using the same pump. Those two changes will be minor to make.

On the idle subject. Can you or someone explain to my why idling seems to use so much gas. It doesn't make sense that it should, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case. Like I said previously, I do keep it to a minimum (only on the coldest of days) and the blue light is usually still on when I get in to drive.
  • Options
    goolappergoolapper Member Posts: 27
    throw a l'il bag with a few pairs of bermuda shorts, swim trunks & a couple of T-shirts in the
    trunk & drive that baby down here to Florida. U need a break from the ND winter & FL needs
    your tourist money! Keep track of your MPG & when u get home, think you'll be pleased with
    the result of your calculation....Just a thought!

BTW - last summer we had a seminarian interning at our local church staying with us. He
    was from ND & his biggest complaint that he & his family had to drive 400 miles to go to
    an Orthodox church, so needless to say they weren't real regular about attending!! He didn't mind the winters there so much as he was born in Siberia & his parents migrated to ND when he was about 10; he thought u guys had pretty mild winters!!!
  • Options
    i was just wondering what you Echo owners here think about the soon-to-be-coming-to-a-friendly-Toyota-dealer-near-you Matrix? Isn't it what you'd expect an Echo hatch to be like?
  • Options
    i was just wondering what you Echo owners here think about the soon-to-be-coming-to-a-friendly-Toyota-dealer-near-you Matrix? Isn't it what you'd expect an Echo hatch to be like?
  • Options
    sorry about that!
  • Options
    To calculate mpg in the best way, lots of folks use a 5-tank average [or more] rather than just one at a time.
    Regards,
    Don