Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Not offhand I'd have to look those up they're way before my time :)

M
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I had a 1992 300E 2.6. It was very solid. When I washed it, no water would get inside the door seals. I should have kept that one longer..... :)
  • rablakerablake Member Posts: 16
    Hello - Took my 2001 E Wagon in for 'B' Service the other day and the service department neglected to reset the computer: the dashboard still says I am overdue for B Service and is incrementing the days. This is the nearest dealership to me and I would rather not spend a couple of hours driving and getting the computer tweaked.
    Can this be done remotely by MBUSA? Can a local private mechanic make the adjustment? If I wait until I happen to be back near the dealer will/can my car "turn me in" to MBZ thinking I have neglected the work which was done? :surprise: Thanks.
  • javadogjavadog Member Posts: 1
    This is a dumb question, I know, but a neighbor wants to sell me his 2005 E320. He claims it is a 4 matic but I can find no indication on the vehicle that it is. Is there a tag or special controls that would indicate if it was 4 matic or rear wheel drive? Thanks for your patience with the Mercedes rookie . . . .
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    Had the battery changed in my 2000 E320 by Mercedes yesterday. This morning put 3 windows down, they would not go up. Had to pump the switches, press them repeatedly, to get them to eventually go up. I called Mercedes, and he said they windows had to be "resynchronized" (can't remember the exact word he used", and I would do this by putting each window all the way down, hold the button for 3 extra seconds. Then put it all the way up and hold the botton for 3 seconds.

Of course this didn't work, so now I've got to bring it back. Overall I like my car, but by paying extra to have a battery changed at Mercedes, shouldn't I expect them to do whatever the heck is necessary to get the windows to work???

If anyone has any comments on this mechanically, please let me know.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    javadog, i understand that all 4matics produced since late 1999 have had the 4matic tag in back. some of the late 1990s 4matics did not have the tag, but MBenz discovered that their 4matic customers really wanted the tag. AWD cachet, ya know. on a 2005 i expect if someone had removed the 4matic tag they would also have removed the E320 tag. or was the car ever crunched in back!? on the 4matics there's a transfer case under the car somewhere - but i'm not sure if it would be visible to you considering the 'covers' MBenz uses under their engines for whatever reason (some say to catch dripping oil!)... cheers...
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    "Of course this didn't work, so now I've got to bring it back. Overall I like my car, but by paying extra to have a battery changed at Mercedes, shouldn't I expect them to do whatever the heck is necessary to get the windows to work???"

Yes, you do have a right to expect them to do a complete job. There is no real excuse for returning your car to you in this state.

"If anyone has any comments on this mechanically, please let me know."

I know that a resync procedure exists, but don't remember it. Check your owners manual before taking the hike back to the dealer. If your dealer is similar to mine (and this experience echos my typical visit) they know less about the car than you do.

Good Luck,
    BigRob.
  • mezecamezeca Member Posts: 66
    The way you resynchronize the windows it to run them all the way down in manual lower mode(the first switch detent), then run them all the way up in manual mode. When the window reaches the top and stops, proceed to hold the button all the way down(second detent) for 10-15 seconds. You will know it's synchronized if the express up feature works.
    You may have to repeat a couple of times to get it to work.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    That worked. Thanks very much.
  • bobodreadrastabobodreadrasta Member Posts: 8
    I do not believe one can compare the Lexus to a MB. The Lexus brand is a creation of Toyota for the US market. I have a toyota crown (ls430) which cost almost 30% less in Jamaica than the ls430 in the US. Same car . Toyota is NOT a luxury brand. They make inexpensive, reliable car for the masses. Can someone tell me one item that toyota has invented. MB, BMW will never be as reliable because they are at the forefront of tech. Toyota waits, irons out the mistakes and put forward the more reliable car. Nothing is wrong with that. There may not be a more reliable car than a MB turbo diesel however.
    Japanese priorities are reliability then comfort
    Europe...Safety then performance/Luxury
    US.........Price

If you know you will be in an accident would you be safer in a LS430, S500 or 745Li
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    I do not believe one can compare the Lexus to a MB. The Lexus brand is a creation of Toyota for the US market. I have a toyota crown (ls430) which cost almost 30% less in Jamaica than the ls430 in the US. Same car . Toyota is NOT a luxury brand. They make inexpensive, reliable car for the masses..

You make some interesting and valid points.

As to Lexus reliability, I am having several problems with my brand new Lexus RX330; problems that turn out to be systemic throughout the model line. From my experience and research, I'd say that their quality is slipping.
  • jhs4jhs4 Member Posts: 3
    Situation: buying a 500 that the local StL. dealer had to get from out of town

- the car ended up having 250 miles on it

What do you recommend I seek...if anything from the dealer given the miles (and yes this is the car I want and do not wish to wait for another delivery)? What is reasonable and "standard" if there is any reasonable requests (dollars off / options added, etc.).
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Dollars off? Probably nothing.

As a rule, the only concession in a case like this is that they add the mileage at delivery to your warranty, so your warranty will now expire at 50,250 miles.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • acenjacenj Member Posts: 58
    Guys,

I was all set to get an "M" series infiniti till my brother said, 50K on a infiniti - go check out the "E". Well, I drove the E320 4matic (very nice), then made the mistake of driving the E500 4matic (WOW).

Any thoughts on what to do? I could get the E500 (2005) for close to what i can get a E350 (2006), both would be 4matics. What kind of mileage are you guys getting with the E500 4matic?

thx in advance.

Aceman
  • ray00edmray00edm Member Posts: 12
    I am expecting to take the delivery of an E350. I need advise on the following:
    1. What is the price of the extended warrantee? It is more then $4k here. Is it worth it? 3rd party extended warrantee mostly does not serve CA for some reason.
    2. Should I pay the "IP? participation fee" of $500? What kind of charge is this? Why isn't this part of the car price?
    3. How is the IPod adaptor? Any good? If I want it, the best way is to have it installed before the delivery to have 4 year warrantee.
    :confuse:
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Where is the best price from MB dealer?
  • scotnmelscotnmel Member Posts: 1
    My 97 e320 says lamp malfunction when I turn on the head lights.I checked all lights and they are all working. HELP!!!
  • rick1rick1 Member Posts: 12
    Check your license plate lamps - that's where mine was hiding
  • hjtw888hjtw888 Member Posts: 5
    Had key malfunctioning problem on my 99E320 at 40K miles.
    When key is in ignition and turned, cannot fire up the engine. The starter keeps cranking without you holding the key.
    My friend experienced similar problem with his ML and said there is a malfunctioning chip inside the key and not recognized by the engine resulting in sending an engine kill signal to disable the car, an anti theft design. He ordered new key from the dealer with programing at total $120.
    Drove to wife office to get 2nd key and it worked and fired up the engine. After that, the first key also worked.
    A week later, it happened again. Now both keys don't work. Stranded at night, called MBZ 24 hours service. Operator instructed to use manual key to lock and unlock the door, then use the original key to start again. Won't work and MBZ operator now says it is the fuel injector/engine not getting gasoline and the car must be towed to MBZ dealership for repair.
    As there is no dealership service open at Saturday night, return to car after dinner, 3 hours later. Using original key, the car started, and the second key also worked.

What seems to be the problem? The keys, or the engine will start only when cold or 2-3 hours after the engine cools down?

Someone also suggested in case of car computer problem showing malfunctioning display, disconnect the battery and reconnect after 5-10 minutes. The computer will reset itself. Would that solve some of the problem?
  • shoeboxshoebox Member Posts: 4
    You should get the car checked out and have a mechanic see what kind of trouble code it's throwing out. It could be a be anything. I'm not a professional mechanic, but my guess would be the 'crank sensor'.

Good luck
  • fromoz1313fromoz1313 Member Posts: 2
    Would appreciate any ideas on this: drive the car over certain bumps with the right side rear and a single metallic rattle is heard that appears to be coming from the right rear of the interior or proximity. More pronounced when cold, less so when the outside temp is warm or hot. Does not occur every time and does not usually occur with large bumps. Had the car to a Euro repair place, they tightened up a bunch of bolts and nuts and thought they had it but noise still occurs. Any suggestions??
    Have same car and same rattle.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    are your rear headrests down?

I had a strange noise coming from a similar location. Turned out that lubricating the hinges on the fold down headrests fixed it (as well as riding w/them up).

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • fromoz1313fromoz1313 Member Posts: 2
    I will try this, currently the noise occurs with the headrests up or down.
  • allygallyg Member Posts: 18
    I got my car back from the dealer for Service C on Friday and just noticed that the display on odometer is gone! No number at all. Just flashing _ _ _ _ _.

Anyone has any idea what is going on? Any button to reset?

Thanks in advance.
  • anthonymanthonym Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know when the E series is due for a redesign? Thanks!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'd say a total redesign will be in 2009, but a facelift will come for the 2007 model year. Since the E350's engine is new I'd expect the only engine changes come face-lift time would be for the V8. All rumors point to a 380hp 5.5L V8 E550.

M
    Did they also perform the SBC software update? It sounds like they did and unhooked the computer before finishing the procedure. You'll need to return to the dealer for this, but it won't take but 5-10mins.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    We're considering the purchase of an E350 4matic. Does the Appearance Pkg offer any real (non-cosmetic) value? We want the Xenon lights, but we can get them by spending $1200 on the Lighting Pkg. Apart from the lights, the only other pieces in the Appearance Pkg that might enhance the driving experience are the Airmatic DC suspension & the 17" wheels. Are they worth the $2760 spread between the 2 packages? Are there any "gotta have" packages or options?

Thanks for your comments.
  • faragfarag Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I just purchased a used 2000 Mercedes E320 with 61K on it. Its a great car, however the engine gets loud when accelerating climbing hills "like a movie projector sound" and when the engine temp is over 80, there is a crackling sound that seems to come from the bottom of the engine even when not pressing gas and only pressing the brakes. I can hear both noises very much when passing parked cars. Of-course if I have the A/C on I can only hear nothing but a smooth ride. The acceleration seems fine, and I know a this car shouldn't sound like that at all. I took it to the dealership and paid over $ 1,500 for its 60K service and it included changing the engine mounts that were collapsed and a couple of filters. I really want to restore the sound of this beautiful car. I was sad that the dealership didn't get it right from the first visit even leaving the car with them for 2 days. My question is what should be changed in this car to make it sound right? Do I need to change the catalytic converter for instance? If it hasn't been changed for so many years could it be that it is all clogged up? Please help!
  • buckandjobuckandjo Member Posts: 1
    I have a E320 2002 currently in the shop. With the car warmed up when I come to a stop--anytime-there is a vibration felt through the steering wheel and when resting my hand on the door. Wife said once she could feel it through the floorboard on passenger side. The same occurs when shifted to reverse. No vibration is felt when in Park or Neutral. Message 1968 had a similar problem. Was it resolved? Does anyone have any suggestions. So far dealer is treating it as an intermitant problem, but that is not the case. Sometimes it is more pronounced that other times though. Please advise, thanks.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    You can go broke replacing parts trying to guess what the problem is. Take the car back and tell the dealer to fix only the loud engine noise and nothing else. If you can't get results, try nother dealer.

Didn't you have the car checked out before you bought it?
  • mikeshuckerowmikeshuckerow Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 E320 without the 4Matic and live in New England. I also own a 2003 C240 with the 4Matic and a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I bought the E320 new - but it was a demo with a few hundred miles on it - the deal was so good I couldn't pass it up despite no 4Matic. My plan is to limit driving the E in the winter and use the C or the Jeep - I share the three vehicles with just my wife. However, I think it wise to equip the E with good snow tires - which I plan to mount on the standard rims. I have two questions - one is any recommendation on a snow tire for the E and the second is a recommendation for good after market MB logo rims/tires to jazz the E up a bit in the good weather - since I will be using the stock rims in the winter with the snows? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Mike Shuckerow
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Regarding your question about which tires to mount on your factory wheels; that depends upon which factory wheels you have. If I'm not mistaken, the stock wheels for your car are 16" in diameter with 225/55 R16 tires mounted on them. Having said that, the "Appearance Package" includes 17" wheels with 245/45 R17 tires, while the "AMG Sport Package" includes 18" wheels with 245/40 R18 tires in the front and 265/35 R18 tires in the rear. Of those, the only ones that are well suited for winter driving are the 16" wheels. Interestingly enough, I ran the exact same size 225/55 R16 winter tires on my 2002 530i (I live in New England too), and they were wonderful. The tires I ran were the old Michelin Arctic-Alpin (now replaced by the Michelin X-Ice), and they were quiet when the road was dry and had wonderful traction when the road was slippery.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Does anyone know if the rear window shades can be installed after-market on a 2004 E 320 by the dealer? They are listed as an "accessory" for the vehicle, but my service advisor is clueless. (Aren't they all? )

Thanks.
    It sounds like the engine mounts are bad. You might also want to check if the engine has a slight misfire. This should be fairly easy to diagnose.
  • billodbillod Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2005 E320 4-Matic. Has anyone noticed how loud the AC cooling fan is when the AC switch is placed in the auto mode, at the coolest setting on very hot days? The fan on my car screams like it's going 6000 rpm. The system actually works okay, it just makes an incredible noise when in full blast mode. I brought it to the dealer but you know the company answer - - - - "that's normal." Anyone else have this problem?
  • jhk_dbjhk_db Member Posts: 25
    I brought my car (2005 E320) in for service last month for the same issue - the engine sounds like it's redlining in that situation. The dealer said it was "normal" although anyone hearing the engine noise would not consider it normal. Unfortunately, that is just one of the many issues I have with my car.
    Go to tirerack.com. Also--have 2001 E320Sport w/ 234/45/17s. If you want to keep a comfortable ride would not go to 18" rims. 17 is a good compromise.
  • merc_e350merc_e350 Member Posts: 1
    What ever you do, don't get cheap! Remember, the cost for all the options were already allocated into the cost of the car. The extra money you see next to each option/package si mostly for the installation and of course to balance the value it ads to your car. So, what am I saying? Get every option possible for your car becuase you are paying for them once you purchase the car. All the options and packages add value to the car. Get the appearance package! If you weren't ordering the 4Matic, I would highly recommend the AMG Sport package.
    Copy & paste these this links into your browser to see mine! http://204.2.107.245/AMG_1.JPG
    http://204.2.107.245/AMG_7.JPG
    http://204.2.107.245/AMG_14.JPG
    http://204.2.107.245/E350_s1.JPG
  • mikeshuckerowmikeshuckerow Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I do have the 16 inch rims and will check out the Michelins.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    "Remember, the cost for all the options were already allocated into the cost of the car. The extra money you see next to each option/package si mostly for the installation and of course to balance the value it ads to your car."

While I appreciate your response, I find it confusing. Would you please explain further?
  • acemaxacemax Member Posts: 3
    I know exactly the sound you are talking about. That is how it starts out, then gets louder as time goes on & it is not corrected. It was the catalytic converter. They both had to be replaced. They are under warranty up to 80,000 miles, so have that checked out.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    who has bought this car? What are your experiences? Gas mileage? Other? Given the popularity of this car, it seems odd that there are so few posts about it compared with the GS, M, A6, 5, etc.....
  • 05gli05gli Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I own a 2000 E320. After I replace the old battery, the security system suddenly turned on, but I couldn't be able to turn it off.
    :cry::cry:
    Help!Does everyone know how to solve the problem?
    Can anyone let me know how you can open the sunroof and windows using the smartkey? (I have an '05 E320 and I read that this can be done but do not know how to do it.) Please let me know - thanks.
  • sailsail Member Posts: 17
    I have found that the key must be held within 3 inches of the door handle (sensor). The key must be held for a period of time. Please try to lock the car first, then press and keep pressure on the open key, do not let up on the open key until both windows and roof is open.
    Thanks - I will give that a try later today.
    Hi,

The manual does not say the CD changer can not play MP3 and it actually can. However, when I stop in the middle of the sound and return to start the car next day, the CD changer plays dead on me. Does not respond to any command.

I suspect that because the MP3 CD I played has foreign title and maybe it confused the player.

The Dealer said something is not right with the "Q level". What is this?
    Dealer now ordered a new CD changer for me.

Does anyone has any experience playing English MP3, in the CD changer, and stop in the middle of the song, shut down the system and successfully restart the CD player and continue from where it was left off?

Thanks. By the way the car is great!

Ray
    OK, I got this car. I seem to be the least person you all want to hear from because I think E350 copied GS400. Any way, it is great for the one week I have been with it. MPG about 22 (city). I have not tried highway yet but it should be insanely good consider the 7th gear is 70Mph@2000rpm. I have not done a lot of abusive driving so I can not command too much on driving. Thanks to the need from the E500 model, this car has a 22+ gallon gas tank, so we are talking about near 480 miles of city driving. It saves you time to refuel.

It is very powerful compared to a normal 200+hp car we used to have. I like the dynamic seat. Makes sharp turns extremely comfortable. It also massages you. It is like a living thing.
    The AC is way too cold and strong, I have not been able to find a good temperature setting that it won't try to blow a lot of cold air.
    It's trunk is huge, you can hide two adults in but for no good reason to do so.
    The keyless go is great. It is impossible to lock yourself out since you can open the door if the key is in the car. Indeed, I think you can not even lock the car. Not to mention the real advantage of reducing the size of your key chain.

If someone can figure out how to play Mp3 in the CD changer, it will eliminate the need to by the IPOD kit since you will have 7 Mp3 to play, that is 7x4.3G already.

Navigation system is very fast. Tire pressure monitor let me know that the roughness is coming from the road.
This discussion has been closed.