Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    i parked my car briefly at a post office last month, come back out in 3 minutes, car wouldn't start for 10 minutes. i started calling the dealer and GM roadside assistance and thought just give it 1 more try, and all the sudden it works!
  • Options
    akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    I had the same problem x 10. My car would get up to normal operating temp. If I were to cut it off, it would not cut back on for me until it was completely cooled to ambient temp (3 hrs or more!). I had to get towed 3 times for this! I would just tow it home, as it would be cooled off by the time it got there. On the 5th visit to the dealer, I was able to recreate the problem. It turned out to be a faulty fuel pressure regulator. This was after replacing both crank sensors on previous visits. Get all those looked at by the dealer. Mine is a March '99 build GL 3.5. What's yours?
  • Options
    donp9donp9 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2000 GL and experience the same problem with the turn signals in that every now and then they won't work. If I turn on my 4 way flasher for a couple of seconds and then try the signals they usually work or if I rap my knuckle on the area around the 4 way flasher switch sometimes that will do the trick also. A friend of mine has a 2001 GL that also has this problem from time to time and he does the same as me to get them working. One of these days I guess I'll have to break down and get the switch or whatever fixed.
  • Options
    Mine is a 2001 gl, 43000 km. Went to the dealer and ask them about the non-starting problem, they said since it's not happening now, there's nothing they can do.
    car is making slight mechanical noise when turn left or right, they lubricated the iss; noise seem to gone away but now re-appearing when making a lane change over a bump.
    Air cond. was sealed and recharged a month ago, it was really cold for a few days, now feel about the same.
    engine light came on, they fixed it.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I have a 2000 Intrigue GL. Aside from the ISS lube and a few light bulbs, the car has been trouble free for 75K kms. Lately however, the external thermometer sometimes gets stuck and is usually slow in reading the correct temp. As a result the a/c will sometimes not blow cold for a while. I have a feeling the thermostat may be going. Anyone have any idea as to what the issue may be or how to fix?

I love the car otherwise, plan to keep it for a few more years. Just had the brakes done 2 weeks ago.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    You may want to check your turn signal and parking lights. My right tunr signal was doing "triple time". I thougth something was going on in the dash until someone told me my right parking light was out. I changed the bulb this afternoon and all is right with the car.

BTW, these have to be the easiest lights to chang on the planet. REmove two clips, pull the headlight asembly forward and take off the rubber cover. Even I can fit mybig mitts to change the bulb.
  • Options
    racerxracerx Member Posts: 8
    Check post 10100. It's been talk about in the forum before. The temp sensor is about 10 bucks and takes only a few mintues to replace with no tools. It's worth a try.

Good luck!
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    I think I may have more information on the constant on-off of the A/C.

I noticed the other morning if the car was cool inside, the A/C would stay on. Later in the day when the interior was hot, the system would cycle on and off with the resulting on/off of the light on the button. As the interior would cool off, the cycling would slow down and eventually stop.

Explain that one!

Deke
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Mine does that (cycle on an off). I took it to an independent repair shop. They said the A/C system checks out fine. They thought it was the A/C microswitch going bad. They guy was able to get it to go off by hitting the area under the console opening. I have seen no pattern to the on/off cycles.
  • Options
    nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    Look where OUR Intrigue (2000-2002) chrome rims have ended up!! I posted this on the Buick Century forum on 08-01-04 to be sure:

- - -

I think the 16" chrome rims for the 2005 Buick Century special edition are the same chrome rims from the 2000-2002 Olds Intrigue. I was driving in Lansing, Mich. this evening (on s.b. Waverly Rd @ St. Joseph for those in the area) and pulled up next to a silver Century and though it was an Intrigue until I looked closer. The center lug cap has the Buick shield instead of the Olds symbol. I have an '01 Intrigue with these rims (minus chrome) and like them, but am surprised how GM used leftovers from Olds on Buicks.

Can anyone confirm this? Is this new for MY '05 or are these from the '04 year too?

- - -
    This was confirmed by someone on the Century board.
    A CENTURY OF ALL CARS GET OUR COOL RIMS :| Ugggh, GM.
  • Options
    has anyone had a problem with porousity in the wheels? I've got one tire that loses 2-3 psi a week. Had it back to Discount Tire twice and they've removed it, cleaned the rim and remounted. That fix lasts for a couple weeks then it starts leaking again. I'm beginning to think it's the rim rather than the tire.
  • Options
    Would you have a part # or details?

I could not find the posting?
  • Options
    racerxracerx Member Posts: 8
    You can just type 10100 in the Go To Msg # box.
    Anyway, here's a repost:

It's just to the passenger side of the license plate. It faces the outside of the radiator. You can get to it without lifting the car. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

dpete4 -- Ambient temperature registering low. Had same trouble. Replaced Ambient temperature sensor P/N 10248414 located in front of radiator and behind bumper. No tools needed. Cost $8.45 + tax.. Good luck..
  • Options
    grumpyguygrumpyguy Member Posts: 2
    Haven't posted here in a couple years, but just thought I would chime in how my car is doing. Have 33,000 miles on it. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. Just replaced the intermediate shaft, the power steering unit, and the climate control outside temp sensor. Now it feels new again : ) and the terrible looseness and clunking in the front end is gone.

In 2002 I had the dashboard cover replaced to fix the warping around the center air vent. Even the second cover warped there, but I did fix it by inserting a couple wedges under the center air vent.

Compared to my 1996 LSS, this car has had a few more problems than I would have liked.

On the bright side, with the steering fixed, the car is fun to drive again. The car no longer uses too much oil ( I guess it is broken in), there are no rattles, and the mileage is about 20 in the city and 30 on the highway.

If I remember correctly, the intermediate steering shaft was a common repair?

Bryan
  • Options
    could you please elaborate on that? i had some noise from the front end when doing slow left or right turn, the dealer lubricated the front end now the noise reappear when making other movement.
  • Options
    I've only owned my 2000 Intrigue since January but I have all the receitps from the previous owner. One of the receipts mentions about hearing a clunking noise and the service shop replaced a tie rod.

Regarding ISS: Yes this was a very common repair. I believe now they only recommend lubricating the steering shaft.
  • Options
    ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    Ya those are the same wheels as the Intrigue. I looked it up on the gm web site. I guess we won't have a problem looking for replacement wheels if we need them.
  • Options
    grumpyguygrumpyguy Member Posts: 2
    Focus,

The problem I had was twofold.

One, turning, especially at speeds less than 30 mph, produced a clunking feeling that radiated up the steering column. Hard to explain, except it felt like the tires might fall off : ) The entire front end just felt loose.

Two, the power steering unit was going bad, so not only did I have the clunking/loose front end, but at low speeds, I had not power steering.

For the first problem, there was no noise, just a feeling that my $25000 car had a $50 front end.

The intermediate shaft restored the solid feeling to my car. It is amazing. With the problem, going over bumps caused the front end to feel like it was going to fall apart with the tires going in seperate directions. Now the car literally takes bumps like they aren't there. You can't even feel the slightest of vibrations in the steering column.

Of course, it is also nice to have power steering when backing out of my driveway now.

If I remember correctly, the intermediate shaft was a big problem for 98/99 models apparently some 2000 models.

Luckily, my dealer turned its service department around. Each of the 3 times I brought the car in, they have found all of the problems I mentioned and fixed each of the problems, the first time. The last time, I was really hoping they would replace the intermediate shaft. When I looked at the invoice, I almost fell over. It is just so unusual to have a competent service department.

Bryan
  • Options
    Thanx for the info on the temp sensor guys.

When I get back from vacation I will pop into my dealer and order one.

Still love my Intrigue. It's my daily driver actually and I have not seen another car that I would rather have yet though the Pontiac G6 with a 3.9L V6 is getting close. If I can swing it, I dream of the CTS but I have to get a better job.
  • Options
    Thanks for the detail info on this issue.
    the problem that i have is not that bad yet, but i'd like to fix the slightest problem before my warranty is up. Next time i'm in the shop, i'll insist that they fix 1) the clunking noise (getting more noticable), 2) occasional non-starting, 3) the driver's side window making noise when going down.
  • Options
    pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    imacmil: sounds like a bent rim. I was actually impressed at how well the Goodyear LSs kept their air pressure in my old Intrigue.

coonhound: Sorry to say, unless you have a bolt-on supercharger the Intrigue won't be smoking any Maximas at 70 mph or otherwise. My '03 pulls hard all the way up past not-really-legal speeds. =) I think they really crippled the Intrigue's engine with the tranny they mated to it.
  • Options
    coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    Maybe they weren't really trying and dropped out. But the Intrigue at 215 HP and 230 ft. lbs
    VS. Nissan of 2000 222 HP and 217 ft. lbs was somehow a winner in any contest I had. I think the torque curve got them. Also this is 3.5 in the Intrigue and 3 in the Maxima. But as far as I know the Nissan still requires premium juice.
    Many believe that Nissan fudges a little on HP claims. Maybe so.
  • Options
    bennycheckbennycheck Member Posts: 43
    Has anyone replaced their blower motor for their hvac system? I have a 2000 GL and the fan quite last week. I had a wet floor on the passenger side and found a bulletin on the drain for the AC getting plugged. I've been under the car 3 times and can't find the rubber elbow that is suppose to come off the drain hole anywhere. The fan motor tries to run but is probably wet. Just wondering how hard it is to change the motor and where the drain is. Anyone? Thanks.
  • Options
    Dropped by to Crappy tire for an oil change and tire rotation special, Big Mistake!
    After 3 hours, they told me that didn't have the tool to remove the hook that's hodling the filter, and the guy decided my tire does not need any rotation at all.
    he also removed my air filter to show me how dirty it is, then he stuff it back in by just lifting the cover by force!
    Crappy tire, now i know how you earn this reputation.
  • Options
    Due the Intrigue's unique filter design and relative small number of 3.5s built, I would expect a lot of independent service centers wouldn't have the filter cartridge.
  • Options
    i have it done at mr. lube, wallmart, etc. with no problem.
    crappy tire is one of the largest, #1 national store in Canada.
    it's ok if they don't have it, but they should check availability when i check in, not after 3 hours. Don't you folks agree?
  • Options
    When I took my Intrigue to the Chevy dealer where I bought it (used), it took them all day to get the oil filter. They keep them in stock now.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    I understand the filter cartridge is the same as used in the new GM 3.6 V-6, so it should be available for a while.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Never did get an oil change there when I had the Intrigue.. Though did a few times at Mr. Lube and always felt ripped off after seeing the bill with the extra $$ for more oil and the GM filter.
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I've been to Quick Lube a few times. It's a rip off but they often have $10 coupons which make it ok and they vacuum the car and clean your windows while you wait.

I would take my GP to a GM dealer but they always take so long. Costco is cheap, but again, it's usually a long wait.
  • Options
    Many of our local dealerships offer a 30 min oil change with no appointment. My dealer is a block away from the library so I may try that next time. Usually I just leave it and they drive me to my office. I've heard too many horror stories about the quick lube places so although I never personally had a problem, I don't go there anymore.
  • Options
    Need to replace my air cleaner filter and passenger compartment air filter, dealer charges $14.50 and 44.50 respectivly.

anyone knows of a cheaper source in canada?
  • Options
    Some dealer here offer 30 minute changes, but not mine. I just can't sit at a dealer for 1 hour, time is money when you are in sales. With a coupon, Quick Lube does it for $30 in about 20 minutes with the vacuum, fluid top up and window clean. Not bad.
  • Options
    Pulled into the Park N Ride lot yesterday morning (6AM) and when I got back at 5:30, someone had tried to get in the spot next to me and "kissed" the right front fender.... Long scratch on the light lens, kinda pushed the housing back and pushed in the fender between the opening and wheel lip! PISSED??? You bet! Didn't break the paint - as far as I can see.

Going to see the appraiser/adjuster on Saturday AM, but with $500 deductible, I doubt the bill will be more than that. Also checking in with a body shop known for doing amazing work on customs, rods and muscle car restos recommended by a close friend to see what he'll charge.

Aside from a couple of door dings (normal NYC battle scars) this was the only damage to the car in the 6 1/2 years I've had it...

Still have "only" 38960 miles on it and will most likely be trading it in on a new Dodge Magnum once the house is sold.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the fender bender dekester. A piece of advice, go to the body shop first and get an estimate. Don't go to your adjuster. Last thing you want is even a mention of a potential claim on your records. Insurance companies are doing some funny things nowadys.
  • Options
    Bought my 01 intrigue (45,000 km) in for service today. Mention the clunking front end noise and occasional non-starting problem; they find nothing's wrong and cannot recreate problem; they said the noise might be ABS auto-checking.
    Mention noise no driver side problem, they clean and lub. the assembly and is now noiseless.
    Called the part dept for price of air filter and was told $14.95, had it replaced and was charged $22, went back to the parts dept. and the price is now $19; at least they washed my car. Oh well.
    they suggested a Power steering flush next time.
  • Options
    Thinking of buying some ceramic pads ($29 front, $32 rear) for my 01 intrigue from a ebay guy, and a K&N filter for about $55 US from ebay as well.
  • Options
    Not sure what ceramic pads are supposed to do but the OEM linings were designed specically for your car. At best, the ceramic pads will do nothing. At worst, they may adversely affect pedal feel, decel or rotor wear. Save your money (and pass on that power steering flush too.)
  • Options
    buckwalter1buckwalter1 Member Posts: 26
    Had a slow leak in one of my 2000 chrome rims, the fix was to remove the valve stem, clean the contacting surface of the rim and install a new valve stem. Found it by pulling the wheel off the car and drenching the tire and wheel in a mix of dish wash soap and water from a spritzer bottle. The soapy bubbles slowly manifested the leak to be around the valve stem base.
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll have to look at the work order and see if they replaced the valve stem last time I had it looked at. Still have the problem so I may try your approach.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    My 99 Intrigue came from the factory with ceramic pads. GM is using ceramic pads on alot of vehicles now; great wear and dust characteristics. Don't know about the e-bay pads, though. I bought the replacement set for my Intrigue at NAPA; $90 for fronts only (replaced at 75,000). The rears are still good at 103,000 miles. Brake pads are an important safety item; I don't search for bargains but for established brands when it comes to brake components.
  • Options
    $1110! Replace right headlight assy - $188!
    Fender can be repaired rather than replaced, if I read the report correctly.

Also will replace the cracked front license plate bracket - was broken for about 4 years; one of the weakest pieces of plastic I've ever run across!

To paint one scratch on the bumper, the entire assy needs to be removed and repainted.

Most of the cost is labor and paintwork - restripe the fender, matching, etc. Hope I get a full body detail out of too.

Picked out the shop and will go Wednesday. Guy works on the local street rods, customs and restorations. Owner has a customized 62 T-Bird in orange with scallops, airbag suspension, lots of neat period bodywork and has flame throwers.

Three of my friends recommend him hands down. Maybe he can jack up the cost to cover my deductible.

First claim I've ever had in 25 years driving, second car I've owned that was hit, but first "anonymous" hit and run...

Deke
  • Options
    I can recommend Raybestos Quiet Stops.. Actually I think Delco OEM's them anyways for their ceramic pads. I had them put on my Intrigue at 65,000miles.. At that point the rotors were pretty much paper thin too.
  • Options
    bravedavebravedave Member Posts: 100
    This weekend, I bit the bullet and finally sold my Olds Intrigue and bought a Honda Accord. My Olds was a good car, who's age and high mileage was finally catching up to her.

She will be missed...
  • Options
    msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    Wow, that is hard to believe especially after reading post #8620......
  • Options
    I am contemplating the same swap. What year was your Intrigue, how many miles and how much did you get for it if you don't mind my asking?
  • Options
    Looks like your 98 had 119K Miles on it back in July.. How many miles did you manage to get on it before you let her go?
  • Options
    akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    I've got a '99 3.5 that I'll be selling around the turn of the year. I'm aiming for a Mini Cooper S. I rarely lust for material things, but I simply must have a Cooper S.
    The Intrigue currently has about 81K miles on it. Believe me, when it comes to actually selling her, I'll be interviewing for the best candidate for stewardship! With any luck, I'll sell it to a family member (a few have expressed interest) and I can always check up on her health from time to time. : )
  • Options
    Bravedave, Accord are a pretty penny and a dime a dozen. They are reliabile though, enjoy.

akitadog, A Mini in place of an Intrigue? Strange, but they are way cool cars.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Well, at 103,000 our 99 Intrigue has tranny trouble. Runs fine, just won't shift into overdrive. Acts just like you have the shifter in "D" instead of "OD." It's at the tranny shop right now; supposed to call this morning with diagnosis. Fortunately, I have a honest transmission shop (I've known the owner for 20+ years) and they have had several opportunities to rip me off over the years and have never done so. Waiting for that phone call........