Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Read recently that GM plans a new lineup of 3.0-3.5 litre v6's for futre platforms, like eplison
    (malibu, grandan, et al) and super-eplison (grand prix and impala et al). They do say the current
    90 degree v6 3.5 will stay around as its too good to kill off, although they did say its real expensive to build. They also say now that the 3.8 (3800) will not be killed off due to its popularity with customer's. How this al jibes with them also having an engine sharing agreement with Honda for v6's is unknown.

PCS is great, and can be worthwhile, but "stability sytems" have been show in many road tests that while its great for safety, its also the slow way around the turn, or track. Its intervention can occurr in such a way to overtly slow the car when its not whats intended or needed. tests have shown system that allow the thing to be deactived by a switch to be preferred, giving the driver
    control of its helping(wet/snow) or hurting(dry in many case, so turn it off). Thus far I am happy w/o PCS on my 2000 GL, as the car is very balanced and shows no major understeer/oversteer issues. Didn't need the 130 top end as I have little area here near Chicago to hit that daily, although 107 has been fun a few times....the axle ratio is better for low end grunt, and should have been across the board. One question- does PCS have the on/off capability?
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I'm sorry if I mislead. The price I gave was *per tire*. Not for all 4.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I'd be down to Sears tonight for Pilots at that price!!

Ken
  • Options
    When the car show came to Philly, I talked to a Buick guy who was very knowledgeable. He said that GM isn't getting the Honda engines because of superiority (as most Honda owners would suggest upon hearing this) but is because Honda engines meet ULEV standards (most GM engines only met LEV). He said the Feds are going to be pushing auto makers hard to get their engines ULEV. GM feels the fastest, cheapest way to satisfy them is to buy from Honda. They will most likely be in Saturns and smaller Chevy's. He also said that the 3.5 will probably be used in the other divisions because the 3800 has been squeezed to the limit; it probably will never make ULEV standards. He continued saying that with the *new* 3.5 they can tweak it to meet the standards just like they did with the 3800.

This would jive with what ketch says. Buy the engines from Honda to make the Feds happy and bridge the gap until they finish developing their own 3.0 litre.

Whether all this is true remains to be seen.

If GM doesn't kill the 3800, even fewer people are going to look at their vehicles. Perhaps GM should take the Microsoft approach--- take away their choices and they have to take what you give them. In other words, if all the competition is using twin-cams and GM uses twin-cams, the people have no choice but to buy twin-cams. At the same time it effectively removes one of the arguments import buyers use. Until that happens, that's just one more self-imposed barrier that GM leaves up while their market share quickly drops. From sales figures I highly doubt there are THAT many people who must absolutely HAVE a (that) pushrod.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Interesting story. I think there many older folk who prefer the old 3800s. I still like them, but 3.5L is my preferred engine. I have owned both and can honestly say I probably won't go back to push rods unless it was a truck.
  • Options
    oldtimer4oldtimer4 Member Posts: 23
    No one asked, but for what for general info I finally received my copy of the work order covering the warranty replacement of my Intrigue's engine after 1500 miles. $4,822.40 in parts (incl. $4.583.60 for the new 3.5 engine) plus $676.50 labor. That's within $2 of what they wanted from me to accept a new 2001 rather than replace the engine. Guess GM figures their exposure on a lemon with a mighty sharp pencil!

With ~ 400 miles on the new engine & ~ 2,000 on the car, it suddenly came to life and accelerates like a demon. Anyone care to speculate on whether that's due to engine, tranny, or brakes break-in?

Needless to say I'm happy with the car. It's sharp, it's tight' and such road noise as there is can probably be tamed when it's time to change tires. I'd recommend the Intrigue to anyone.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I don't know, is PCS defeatable? I thought that it was not.
    I have read magazine articles where the subject has been the advantages and disadvantages of four wheel drive.
    In the articles they spoke to several highway patrolmen in different northern states.
    They all said that the Audi Quattros were the first to go off the road in snow and ice.
    I am guessing overconfidence among the quattro drivers is to blame.
    I seem to remember an old saying, "the only thing four wheel drive is good for is getting you stuck somewhere you wouldn't have been if you didn't have it."
    Or words to that effect.
    Personally I am unwilling to pay the aquisition costs for four wheel drive, the gas mileage penalty, the weight penalty, and the potential out of warranty expenses.
    Plus, I live in South Carolina and it is completely unneccesary.
  • Options
    ghostzghostz Member Posts: 19
    Geez, I thought I posted yesterday but apparantly it didn't make it on the board. If it shows up, disregard either this one or the one.

Anyway, I got my Intrigue home safe and sound yesterday, despite the snow here in VA. Everything is great. Drove it to work today. I have about an 18 mile stetch of interestate going to and from work, on which I drive 75 mph. The Intrigue performs fine at that speed (I'm impressed with the overdrive, as the tach was reading about 1900 rpm at 75 mph.) Having looked at and driven most of the comparable sedans, I am happy with my decision and thrilled with the value.

To b4z re his 2/21 post: MSRP on my car was 25,755

To 1415 as to why I paid invoice with all the incentives available: The short answer is that I was trading my Camaro and I was able to get them to pay me an extremely generous price for it. Saves me the hassle of trying to sell it privately. You know, pay a little more for the new car, get more on the trade, or vice versa. It's how much cash you got to actually pay or finance that counts.

Since my Camaro is gone, I am now bragging to my friends and relatives about how sensible I've become. I figure I am saving over $100.00 a month in gas and insurance alone, plus the untold expensive repairs I might have been facing when my Camaro went out warranty in a few months. I notice oldtimer's new 3.4 cost 4,600. By comparison, a LS1 v8 costs 8k in the crate last time I checked. A clutch job on a Camaro is itself $800.

I thank all posters for their useful comments in this thread.

JR
  • Options
    14151415 Member Posts: 249
    Glad you are happy with the deal and all comfy with your Intrigue. I don't question ones dealer deals for if one is satisfied; then it's great.

I always hate to leave any money on the table for the dealer does this happy bulls--t every day all day; so they don't deserve any break.

oldtimer:::::I would have taken the money or the new car because the reassembled hunk is prone to things not experienced in an off production car..
  • Options
    rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    Has anyone noticed in their Intrigue a dull growl noise that appears to be coming from the vents or somewhere up front when pressing the gas pedal around 35-45 mph? As soon as I let up on the gas it goes away. It's as if I can hear the engine only it's muffled. Please shed some light. It's starting to drive me crazy.
  • Options
    etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I've had my 98 Intrigue in snow several times and it does very well. It is the first car I've owned with traction control and as long as there isn't ice on the road, it goes very good in snow.

ketch, there is no on-off switch for the PCS system. My co-worker's 2000 GLS has it and I have asked him that same question.

one2one, I agree with you on your Intrigue assesment back in post# 1491, it is a very underrated car. As for GM using Honda engines, as far as I'm concerned they can keep them. If I wanted a Honda engine in my car, I'd buy a Honda. Make mine a "shortstar" DOHC V6 or a supercharged 3800 thank you.
  • Options
    Last I have heard, the 3800 V6 is going away in time. GM had originally planned to have it deep sixed by 2002 or so, but I think it will be around a bit longer than that because they did spend some effort to upgrade it to LEV standards for 2000 and it is still very popular. I think GM will phase the engine out over the next few years. My guess is the 3.5(and hopefully a supercharged version) will replace the 3800 in the next generation Regal and Grand Prix(the Intrigue is sadly missing) and then in the Impala and Monte Carlo. My guess is only GM's larger cars like the Park Avenue and LeSabre will keep it longer and it's rumoured the next generation Park Avenue will have a V8. I like the 3800 alot and it is a very durable engine and for it's age and lack of sophistication , it is very powerful and efficient. But having spent some wheel time in a 3.5 liter equipped Intrigue and also in my father's Aurora, I can say that DOHC engines are more refined feeling and are a pure joy to rev. The 3800 certainly has some big shoes to fill and I think the 3.5 does a very good job at that. It may be expensive for GM to build now due to the fairly small quantities, but if they were using the engine in other applications, that would help ammortize costs.
  • Options
    mcap42mcap42 Member Posts: 5
    There's a "Traction Control" button next to the shifter that turns on/off the traction control on the 2001 Intrigues. A light comes up on the panel that says "Trac off".

I guess the complaint was that it was hard to rock a car out of a stuck position with traction on.

Glad you I-95 folks made it through ok. after the news stories of all the pile-ups.
  • Options
    etharmon:::::::The answer to a question you posted on another forum is three. The rationalization of the leasing game drives me bananas at times.. The DTS is so high cost that dealers will not inventory them and they can get you one in three days. The STS is starting to retain value better than the old days and due mainly to the high price of the new ones which tends to elevate the used car end.

The STS is a tougher cat; suspension and structure wise..

rbb2::::::::I am guessing that the noise you hear is the lock-out torgue converter engaging and disengaging at around 40mph. After it engages engine revs drop, and you can feel the engine labor/shudder slightly under acceleration thru the 40+ speed range.. My guess??? I feel that it is more noticeable with the 3.5 due to its torque curve and need for rpms to develop horsepower and smoothness. It labors and drones badly in the speed range of 40 through 55 under heavy gas pedal without switching to another gear freeing up the revs..
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The 3800 Series II V6 engine is already ULEV certified. The 3800 was updated for the 2000 model year to comply with the new emissions certification. Pre-year 2000 3800 V6 engines are only LEV certified.

The main reason why the 3800 engine will be phased out is because GM can't update the powerplant to comply with upcoming (tougher) SULEV emissions. At this point, the 3500 DOHC V6 'Shortstar' will take on where the 3800 V6 left off.

However, it is quite a milestone for a 40 year old 'Pushrod' engine to be able to meet ULEV emissions. The current 3.5L V6 in the Intrigue only meets LEV emissions standards.

Here is an article (April 1999) confirming the ULEV certification for the 3800 V6 for the 2000 model year:

http://www.generalmotors.com/cgi-bin/pr_display.pl?728

• Options
    Thanks for the correction Teo. I had the right sequence but wrong emissions standard. Unfortunately for me I have a pre-ULEV 3800. I'm getting my state inspection right now. PA has gotten almost as bad as CA for emissions. $80 for a stupid emissions test!!! But it should have no problem passing. The last test was way under the threshold.
  • Options
    oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Found out the strut tower brace from SLP (at least the $19 jobbie) is for 3800 Intrigue only. Forgot to ask about the stronger $100 unit but I'm sure it's the same story. Anyone know of a brace for 3.5 Intrigue? The towers may be close to the firewall but it's no different on GP and Regal. I think it would add some stability to the suspension, albeit just a little. It's a mental thing at this point.

Depending on 1415s Cat-Back results, I may go that route also. Hard to stop once you get going.
    I'm keeping this car. That's why I bought it new. So, I'm gonna play with it til I like it more.

As for struts, Shockwarehouse.com say's contact Tenneco (Monroe manufacturer) about warranty info. On the phone, Tenneco say's contact the vendor. I wrote Tenneco a letter to get to the bottom of this. We'll see what I come up with. Do they actually think I'd buy under these conditions? In the letter, I also asked them to clarify what testing was done and how the Sensatracs compare to the Reflex units on Intrigue.

This is all just research. I haven't bought anything yet. I just like to get to the edge and look down before I dive. I may stand there and look for a while, walk away, or just dive right in. That's part of the adventure isn't it?

I still get the rough start at times after engine is hot. Mentioned it to dealer but of course they said nothing found. Anyone figure this out yet? Never happens on a cold start.

Alternator not in yet. Not sure if I want it considering they might break something in the process.

It will be awhile before I deal with tires but I would look at Michelon Pilots, Michelon X-Ones, Goodyear Auquatred 3s, and Yokohama Avid Touring tires based on some research and my preferences. Seems like these are good on noise and comfort issues. By the time I get to tires, it will be a different ballgame anyway, I'm sure. Supposedly my Goodyear Eagle LS were designed for noise and comfort (according to Goodyear). If that's any indication, tires don't help squat.
  • Options
    michelin, mictchellin, michillin, mitchelin, or something like that.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    We got about 1.5 inches of rain yesterday (esp. last night) and got to test out the deep water capabilities of the Aquatread III's recently mounted on our 99 GL. Very impressive. I noticed several other cars braking and slowing around us (for no apparent reason), then noticed all the water flying. We drove normal, with no problems. These tires are also significantly quiter than the LS's and ride better to boot. Also, they are supposedly an 80,000 mile tire. I paid $450 for set of four (complete) and now I'm very happy with my decision, since my wife drives this car to work every day and I'll feel much more relaxed when the weather is not so great and she has to be out on the road. I have never been a fan of saving $50 or $100 on tires and then have to be tied up in knots worrying about my wife having an accident!
  • Options
    My exhaust system from SLP was for a Buick/Olds 3800 setup; and they didn't want to sell for the 3.5 just for the fact they had no knowledge of it as a viable replacement. The strut towers are the same for the 3800 as the 3500; so it should work; but, then for 19.00 bucks who cares!!! Go for the $100.00 jobbies..

If the exhaust doesn't fit ; my options are pay someone to modify or return to SLP for a 20% restocking charge+frt both ways. Hey; when I jumped, forgot to see if the pool had any water!!!

Other option is to become a SLP distributor and resell to the holder of a 3800 Intrigue or 3800 Regal.. Damn life is fun at times, if one can't find problem--create a mess..

Teo:::::::I was under the impression that Palm Beach County stopped the emissions testing sometime last year. For when we were down this year the building in Delray was for sale. They stopped testing in Mich some five years ago and like Fla it wasn't statewide..

The 3800 engine is a great motor for reliable power; requiring zero maintenance. I will repeat myself on this subject: 87 Buick Electra T-Type 39,000 miles-no problem, 92 Regal GS 95,000 miles- water pump, 94 Buick LeSabre 113,000 miles-no problem. None were ever tuned nor received any maintenance/repairs. Oil changes, filters and air filters were the only expense.. After the 94 Buick was traded; the dealer told me that the car broke down on the highway with an alternator failure; great timing on my part. Sure glad it wasn't on my watch..

So fellas if you an engine that lasts a long time w/o care; you had better forgo the next Intrigue and buy a Pontiac or Buick..
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    The strut tower braces you are looking at are GM ones that they put in the Buick Regals stock.. Engine shouldn't matter but you will have to drill holes in your strut towers to install the front piece. The same one can be put in the rear but I believe you will have to ream out the holes a little bit to fit it. The more expensive ones can go one without drilling any holes in your front strut tower.

Had another high speed acceleration run with an X5 driver yesterday morning, 120km/hr to limiter. He didn't start pulling me till about 100mph.
  • Options
    Emissions testing is no longer required in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties as of June, 2000. I am very happy that the local government finally lift this time waster requirement (Altough it was a cash cow for them). New or recent model cars DO NOT need yearly emissions inspections. The whole testing scheme turned out to be another corruption pool like many others around South Florida.

The funny thing is that cars older than 1974 or 1975 were exempt from the yearly inspection...saw many rust buckets pulling clouds of smoke around Miami's avenues....

I agree with your comments regarding the 3800. Its a heck of a motor! The 3.5L DOHC V6 is a very good engine, but still needs more punch in the low end and a bit better established reliability.

Would you consider a Buick Park Avenue Ultra as a replacement for your Caddy?
  • Options
    I hear the price of the Buick Ultra loaded is approaching 40k--for what?? No way would I consider a trade off.. The GTP or Regal GS is the only 3.8 powered animal with reasonable cost.

Emission testing was a farce and was a real political deal in Palm Beach. Are they still counting chads in WPB.. Since I don't receive the Palm Beach Post I have lost track, for they always gave a weekly update on the progress..

Sloppy winter weekend in the Motor City.. Made an offer on a house yesterday in Ocala--farm country big time.. An adult community with some great features; but the wife ain't too happy for she likes things like the Town Center in Boca and the shopping malls. In Ocala there are no such things..

Speaking of the 3.8; Chevy during the last year or so of the Lumina production offered the 3.8 with duals,sport suspension, and buckets. They had a model called the LTZ; I believe and the price was reasonable, nice looking car. I think I looked at one about the same time I got involved with the 98 Intrigue.
  • Options
    teo::::No emissions test? I hate you! :) But seriously, I just got my ride back. Makes no sense what Pennsylvania charges for these silly tests. Cars don't pollute to the point of needing LEV and ULEV ratings.

Apparently GM has done a good job with only an LEV rating on my '99 3800. Here's the results of my tests:

-CO% Limit= 0.44, Reading= 0.02
    -HCppm Limit= 78, Reading= 0
    -NOppm Limit= 625, Reading= 53

The only rating I understand is the CO. As you can see, it's nowhere near being harmful as far as governor Ridge says. Even the others are way below the limit. The only cars that would pollute to the point of needing the tighter restrictions are cars from the 70's and early 80's. How many of them are left on the road? It's just another way to suck more money out of everyone. I doubt my numbers will change between now and this time next year when I'm up for inspection again.
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    1415, some questions to help me out if you can...
    -the exhaust system you got, you said it was for the 3800, was it modified to fit your 3.5?
    -how much was it, inch, shipping?
    -who installed it, or did you do it yourself?
    I only ask as I hope to do same eventually and this would be a great help before I make the plunge-Ketch
  • Options
    white6::: How are the Aquatreads as far as performance is concerned? What rating are your Aquatreads?
  • Options
    Ocala is not a bad place but not to exciting either. I would prefer moving closer to an area somewhere near Orlando.

Have you considered 'Century Village'? Never been there but I have heard it is a popular adult community.

I think the dimple chad countings continue...may be they'll have the tallies completed by the end of 2004...

I think the W-body sedans offer the best traits of quality, room, safety and performance for the buck. I have always noticed that 'full size' GM sedans command higher prices and virtually the same dimensions and equipment found on the W-body intermediates...like you say...Where is the Beef?
  • Options
    I didn't know the 2000 and newer 3800s were ULEV, I though they were just LEV certified. Does this mean my 98 Intrigue is LEV then? I personally don't care for all this LEV crap. Funny how we have made cars cleaner and cleaner for the last 15 years or so, yet the air gets dirtier and dirtier. I find it funny that the majority of the electricity in this country is still generated by coal which is much nastier than gasoline. And when we all go the electric cars, where exactly is that electricity going to come from Mr. Gore? Ooops! Anyway, I just think we are throwing out the baby with the bath water and us(the consumer) are the ones getting hosed.

1415, having replaced an alternator on my old car(89 Toronado) I can say this is another advantage of the 3800. The alternator is mounted high on the engine and a snap to replace. Bought an OEM replacement with a lifetime warranty from Advance Auto parts and replaced it myself in a hour. The Intrigue looks to be just as easy as it is mounted in the same place as on the old 3800. Now the 3.5 is a different story as it is mounted much lower and more tightly packed in there. And on Northstar V8s, you can't even see the alternator or A/C compressor from the top of the engine. Also, I don't see how the 3.5 Intrigues and 3800 Intrigues have significantly different exhaust systems. The worst you may have to have done would be to have a modification done at point where the exhaust connects to the manifold as there may be differences there, but otherwise the cars have the same exhaust.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I would guess that the only difference between the exhaust systems of the 2 engines is the exhaust manifolds and the y pipe to the cat. If there is a difference, it would be in the position of the cat. This would require the aftermarket cat back exhaust to be either shortened or lengthened. Which is very easy.

This pollution thing really gets me riled up, so i will try to keep it short.
    One2one takes his car to get tested, and it barely even registers. But we have people who want even more regulations.
    Do you guys realize that a 2001 model car produces less pollution running than a 1966 car does with the engine off?
    Whats next? Super Duper Ultra Low Emission Vehicle?
    The fact remains that factories, powerplants, heavy trucks, airplanes, and ships produce pollution, not cars.
    Did you know that if every single passenger car and light truck was taken off the road, we would still have pollution?
    I guess it is politically correct to blame cars for the downfall of society and our pollution problems. There is not a politician out there who has the guts to take on corporate America and tell the people where our real pollution is coming from.
    Aaaaargh!!
  • Options
    Well, I finally made it to the Auto Show. Biggest attraction at GM was the mid-size SUVs and Bravada seemed the busiest. Very well received here for it's debut. I personally would love one, but I don't think I will have the money next year unless I get a big raise. Trailblazer is more affordable.

Biggest surprise was my attraction to the Buick Rendezvous. This is the best thing Buick has put out in a long time. VERY nice! The only thing I would change is the engine. The 3.4L is ok, but it really needs the 3.5L or 3.8L.

Other cars/trucks I liked include the new Mini and the Saturn Vue. Still like the Maxima and the Intrigue.
  • Options
    ketch::::::::I have not seen the system as yet and it will be installed by Olds dealer or the local Firestone tire store. It has not been modified for a 3.5; and we don't know whether it will fit.. This is a system starting aft of the converter and just really is a bent stainless 2 1/2" dia pipe that attaches to a rear muffler with the final outlet.

It eliminates the resonator setup; so all one has is a converter and the rear muffler. The cost was $349.95+frt to Detroit from the east coast factory. Far from cheap!!!! One east coast parts house sells the same SLP system for $599.95.
  • Options
    oldtimer4oldtimer4 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the warning re. a non-production unit.
    I'm certainly going to keep my eyes & ears open for problems.

The dealer replaced the engine (3rd attempt to locate & correct the oil leak) prior to the car qualifying under the NYS lemon law, so I really had no choice but to accept a new engine.

And I couldn't see financing another $5,500 to take a new 2001 after only 2 payments under my belt on the new 2000. so that really wasn't a practical option either.

Perhaps the attention given to installing all the 'hang-ons' and seating all the gaskets will pay off.
  • Options
    ghostzghostz Member Posts: 19
    I've put about 100 miles on my new Intrigue. Question: why does the turn signal make this loud tick-tock noise when its on? Seems unecessary and annoys me a little after a while.
    JR
  • Options
    2001 Intrigue GX-$16929
    2001 Aurora $24135

Noticed that Olds sales in Jan were really bad. I have yet to sit in an Aurora let alone drive one; but I noticed the physical dims to the Intrigue are somewhat misleading..

While the Intrigue gives up 3.4" in length and 3.20" in wheelbase it actually is wider by .70" and possesses more cargo volume. In comparing the GX pricing to the Aurora baseline pricing the Intrigue comes out a $7,206 winner.

The interior dims actually favor the Intrigue in many areas..

Acura 3.2TL:::::It's a mid-size luxury sedan with dims that are much smaller than the Intrigue. it is 3.30" less in width, 3.00" less in length, and .90" in wheelbase..It should be listed as a compact.. They do have several interesting forums and the really possess the 0-60 mentality..The owners are gung-ho about their wheels and the 4dr TL-S is about to hit the street next month. This upgrade is the 260hp rubber-banded timing belted V-6 that is a 0-60 rocket and will probably retail around $32,000 if you can still read road maps. Believe me, the friendly Acura dealer in the Detroit area will only show lease payments and MSRP; never a hint of a discount..

Sitting in an Acura TL is tight and one must get the feeling of wearing the car.

Just figure:::::at the pricing noted above for an Intrigue GX vs the pricing of the new Acura; one can buy 2 Intrigues or 1 Acura.. Wonder how jgriff feels now???

Maybe we should invite the TL folks over to help them with investing and budgeting seminars???
  • Options
    I'm glad you mentioned the rubber timing belt on the TL. This is someting that many who buy Acuras/Hondas and Toyotas don't realize. On an inline 4, it's not an overly expensive or involved job, but a V6(and especially a V8) is a different story. And Honda engines are interference engines which means if that belt snaps under hard acceleration, you could damage the engine. I can't understand why more Japanese manufacturers haven't gone to timing chains like Nissan did. To me the TL is not all that special. It is rather small compared to other cars and now with the discounts, one could probably get an Aurora 4.0 for what a TL costs.
  • Options
    Olds sales weren't bad in January? They were actually up 5-6%. Not sure what you are talking about. Granted, some of that is due to U.S. incentives.

Saw some of those testimonial ads for Oldsmobile this week. They suck.
  • Options
    david161david161 Member Posts: 20
    Last week the dealer replaced the actuator on the driver's side door. The next day, I drove the car to the post office, went in for less than a minute to mail a letter, and came back to find the driver's side door locked. I know I left it unlocked. The next time it happened was this morning, about a week later, after the car was parked in front of my house all night. The mystery continues.
  • Options
    dindak::::::::Intrigue mustered up 3604 units in Jan 01 vs 5569 units in Jan 00.

Aurora went for a whopping 2763 in Jan 01 vs Jan 00 at 317; due to lack of 01 model.

Must admit the Alero was ahead of last year.

You must have been looking at Dec 00 sales in comparison..
  • Options
    etharmon::::::A friend of mine who is a young engineer drives an Aurora and also owns a 944 Turbo Porsche. Last year the belt slipped a cog and cost around $4000 to salvage. The sad part was he knew the belt was long overdue for a change; however one more blast.

They have made alot of progress in the belt area but with the Asian cars it is not only an economy move; but cuts down the noise level of the engine. It serves as a silencing device..

My son-in-law had a 124 Fiat Conv and its belt went south; really never knew what it cost. The car was absent for a month; reappeared and couple months later it was gone permanently to its new home in northern Wisconsin.
  • Options
    arnie82arnie82 Member Posts: 27
    I noticed that tmy headlights & dashlights were fickering quite often in my 2000. I remember seeing a post mentioning this problem but could not locate it. Is there a TSB on this problem?
    thanks-
  • Options
    I thought I saw overall Olds sales higher, but I know if true it's because of Alero. I know know Intrigue continues to slide. Doesn't really matter much any more, Oldsmobile will be discontinued regardless.
  • Options
    There is a redesigned alternator that I'm still waiting for. Some already have it. Why my dealer said it would take 6 weeks for it to arrive, I don't know. Maybe they use pony express to save money.

I thought I read a ways back that someone had it and still got the flicker but not sure. Apparently, the redesigned alternator is GMs fix to the flickering issue. Tell your dealer you are experiencing this and you would like the new alternator.
  • Options
    htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    In response to the recent thread regarding PCS and wether it can be turned off, I have both PCS and traction control on my 2000 Intrigue and here's what the owner's manual states at p. 2-60 "If the PCS warning light comes on, it means there may be a problem with your Precision Control System. When this light comes on so will the TRAC OFF light and both the Precision Control System and the Traction Control System will not be functioning." My interpretation is that if you turn off your traction control system you are also turning off the precision control system. I have had the Intrigue for over 9 months now and have 10,000 miles; so far no warranty work. Only 2 oil changes and a tire rotation. Yes the traction control system has been a huge advantage this winter in Milwaukee. Last week low temps were still single digits. Heating bill was a shocker. Golf season will arrivce late this year.
  • Options
    teo:::::The results out of the southern slice of Fla is that dubya won!!!! I doubt if the Palm Beach Post prints too much about it.

arnie82:::::Probably had the heater blower on high, rear window defroster on, headlights on, radio on and idling in traffic..I had a 98 and have a 99; no light flickering except the radio readout dial does flicker. If one used the cigarette lighter while everything else was on the car would probably stop or go up in smoke.. I will be at the Olds dealer this week ; I shall ask about any TSBs..

Trivia observation:::::In checking oil yesterday and trying to locate the front end banging noise; I noticed that the fuse relay box located on the right-hand side with the red + atop rubs against the hood insulation, in fact there is a nice "+" imbedded in the underside area with evidence of the entire top of the box rubbing..

The alternator and a/c compressor faces are shielded by a fiber splash panel which is junk and justs flaps in the breeze and will probably fall off.. It is fastened by three molly-type plastic retainers which were finished after the first puddle of water..
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Treadwear rating on Aquatread III: 640; Traction AA; Temp B. Handling seems to be unaffected; i.e. about the same as the LS's.
    The re-designed alternator just became available about 3 weeks ago, according to my service manager, so anyone who had an alternator replaced prior to that got the old design, which, if you have the 3.5, will fail again. BTW, I think it's probably the voltage regulator that is actually failing, perhaps due to an overloaded generator. GM probably underestimated the needs of the 3.5. So far, the alternator is working okay... it will be 3 or 4 months before we know if this really fixed the problem. Ours would flicker with just the headlights on; no heater, wipers, or rear defogger needed.
  • Options
    You said you bought an extended GM warranty for your '99 Intrigue. How much did you pay? Up to what mileage you get coverage? Benefits? Deductions?
  • Options
    teo::::::::Bought through dealer--GM Major Guard--"0" ded, 5yr/75, $1025..Just like the new car warranty..Not cheap but you can put it on GM card with "0" interest charge over 1 yr. Really it was too easy not to buy.

I keep reading about all these damn problems which will probably be covered by TSBs; but my worry is the engine, suspension, and steering. Plus if I get really peeved with this car; then a warranty does help the sale to a private party. Not that its a money maker; but does make the next owner a little more comfortable.

To be real truthful---no sane soul would buy my car with the front end noise--warranty or not..
  • Options
    sienkosienko Member Posts: 1
    Looking for info as to what wheels will fit my 2000 Intrigue.Any other olds/gm wheels that will fit?They are 16"
  • Options
    shadowmonkeyshadowmonkey Member Posts: 9
    Alrighty, time to check with everyone else...
    I'll be taking my 99 in to the dealer this week, probably, to have them check on a few things for me; still under warranty, so I'm taking advantage of that..

I've read about some of these, but I'm just curious how many people have had the same problems..

And, do't get me wrong, I still love my car. No regrets about Olds. Juts wondering about the small stuff...

Car doesn't start soemtimes...just won't turn on on the first try; then it will.

Grinding noise in the front end when turning and in motion.

A/C randomly turns itself off or on when the dial is "on" (I have a feeling this is just a simple wiring issue...or related to the next issue

The "A/C" button gets really damned hot. I've tried to keep my finger on it for more than a few seconds, and I can't...maybe it's burned a wire or something behind the panel and that explains the random turning off...

A/C fan makes a rattling noise in the dash..gets faster when I accelerate

Anybody else's driver window "thump" when it goes down?? The rest of the windows are fine, but the driver window really makes this loud noise when it goes all the way down...like it's slamming into something.

And, finally, has anyone else's dash started to warp or anything like that? It's coming undone near the center A/C vent....doesn't that usually only happen after a long time in the sun? I realize this is Florida, but, it's usually not parked in direct sun for very long, and it's only a 99....

Ok...that's my list/rant for today....Any thoughts, or experiences witht his stuff?
  • Options
    Was looking at a copy of the new Motor Trend in the drug store today. They had an update on the LT test of a 2000 Intrigue. Mostly all positive though they were sad about Oldsmobile going away. They retracted their dig at the cruise control so they must have got some calls. Only problem was a wacko temperature gauge/ thermostat which was fixed under warranty. I had the same problem so who ever made those components obviously didn't do a good job.