Options

Ford Focus Sedan

Comments

• Options
    sgonzalsgonzal Member Posts: 1
    Recently, after returning from vacation. I expierenced some rattling when shifting in reverse. I took the car to my local dealership and the problem was fixed. But now, there is a high pitch "tread-like noise coming from the rear axle. I have returned the car back to my local dealership four times and have not found the problem. Has anyone heard this noise before?
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_053188

or

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_053187

and then

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_053192

anyone wanna go show GM fans why the interiors in their cars are so cheap in comparison?

seriously, the pics for this focus indicate a nnicer interior than the CTS.
  • Options
    bobk14bobk14 Member Posts: 17
    I am about to purchase a new battery for my 2001 Focus LX, but, to my amazement , no one has a battery that fits my car! Sears, AutoZone,Wal-Mart, etc. don"t have a replacement. Can anyone advise me if they know of a replacement baterry, and which battery is recommended. THANKS! P.S. I know the Ford battery is available.
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Sometimes, the price of a Motorcraft battery from a Ford dealer is better than Sears. I got one once for $59.99, w/60 months warranty.
  • Options
    sanaa220sanaa220 Member Posts: 1
    WHAT ON EARTH IS WRONG WITH MY 2000 FORD FOCUS. ALSO THIS HAS NOW CAUSED MY BATTERY TO DIE. ANY HELP.
  • Options
    tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    Your radio should turn off when you turn off the vehicle, but the radio also has a feature that allows it to be used without the key in the ignition. So... My best educated guess is that the radio has full power 100% of the time and relies on some sort of signal that tells it when the vehicle has turned on and when it has turned off. Your radio is likely not receiving that signal. Check all your fuses and if they are all ok, take it to the dealer. It shouldn't be that difficult to diagnose.
  • Options
    scottnelson1scottnelson1 Member Posts: 1
    But the problem somehow fixes itself by the time we get to the dealer. It has happened twice and they do not know what the problem is. It was running, and then all of the sudden it is as if the key was turned to off, because the engine just stops like that....

Any ideas?? I am scared of being stuck away from home and this happening or even driving. The guy at Ford said it could be the passive anti-theft kicking in, but they won't do anything....

Help!!
  • Options
    jsfocusjsfocus Member Posts: 16
    Two days ago, when I test drove the 2003 ZX5 hatchback, the sound from the turn signal caught me off guard. It was way toooo loud. So much so, that I dreaded having to use it. In comparison, my 2000 Ford Focus ZTS sedan turn signal had a nice sound and perfect volume.

Nevertheless, I bought the ZX5. The mechanic at my BC ford dealership told my sales agent that he's never tried modifying the turn signal to decrease the volume, and wouldn't really know how.

I intend to investigate further. I've sent an e-mail to Ford and will post their reply here when it comes in about 3 days from now.

Does anyone know how the turn signal can be modified?

I can't stand this loud turn signal and refuse to live with it. I find myself avoiding using the turn signal whenever possible. Not even the radio drowns out the sound.

I wish FORD would offer its customers the choice of taking their vehicle in to have this loud and irritating tick-tock turn signal modified AT NO CHARGE. IT'S WAY TOOOOOOOO LOUD!!!!!
  • Options
    I leased a 2000 Ford focus ZTS sedan, and had every intention of buying it at lease end. However, upon test-driving the ZX5, I realized how much better the visibility was out the rear window of the hatchback. The difference was truly remarkable. Being 5'2", when looking out the back window of the ZTS, I could see the steering wheel and head of the driver behind me. In the ZX5 hatchback, I could actually see the tires of the car behind me on the road.

I gave back my leased ZTS and purchased the ZX5 5-door hatchback. With the greatly increased rear visibility, I feel much more at ease and safer. Changing lanes is a breeze in the ZX5 compared to the ZTS. In addition, the visibility out the right hand side of the car is awesome (because of lots of glass). And, I no longer worry about possibly running some little kid over while I reverse.

My mother told me, "Better safe than sorry...give up the sedan with the high back and get the hatchback."
  • Options
    I called the 1-800 number for the Ford Customer Relationship Centre to ask about modifying the turn signal in the 2003 ZX5 to make it more quiet. The 1-800 # doesn't deal with technical questions, so I was referred to my dealership where a mechanic could call the Ford Engineer Hotline.

The Service Dept. at my dealership explained that the loudness is caused by the RELAY. They had tried changing the relay in a Ford truck of a customer who had also complained about the loud turn signal, but it met with no improvement.

The dealership offered to change my relay at no cost to me...'cause they'll do it under warranty. But they're pretty sure changing the relay won't make a difference.
  • Options
    chebykinchebykin Member Posts: 4
    I have 2002 FOCUS ZTS and I went through this experience:
    engine stalls, and I cannot start it sometimes during 30 minutes, sometimes during 30 hours.
    (That time engine stalls 100 feet away from my home at Saturday afternoon, and Emergency service convince me to wait till Monday - they told me it will be safer to keep car near my home then at the dealership).
    When I came to dealer, they tested car and even drive about 150 miles - but cannot reproduce the problem.
    Finally, after 10 such breaks engine stalled forever and vehicle was towed to the dealership during working hours. They had nothing to do rather then admit - problem could be reproduced - the engine cannot start.
    They replace some "computer" part - probably
    it is expensive, because I waited two weeks
    for delivery and installation.
    When this part was replaced, it was necessary re-program keys, otherwise anti-theft device could block the ignition.
    The part number in my invoice says:
    1M5Z-12A650-SB PROCESS 730730

I wonder why such failure was not stored in the computer memory? Because of that I cannot prove that engine stalls. I even considered to use camcorder to record all the symptoms.
    If problem cannot be reproduced, customer service does something minor (cheap) to pretend they are trying to fix it.
    I believe that this problem with Focus engines was found much earlier and was very well known before I bought this car (July 2002), but Ford is trying to postpone replacement of "computer"
    part as much as possible.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    willie340willie340 Member Posts: 59
    bad news!!! i had a 2001 focus se 16v zetec .i sold it!! too many recalls,too many problems.but my friend still has his 2001.yesterday his car stalled again (4th time)they finally told him,of course his warranty is up,that it's the fuel pump.they said it was very uncommon for that to happen..but luckily they have 19 in stock.how convenient.duh!!ford still won't admit the design is their fault.let us pay right.well the pump cost $497.87 canadian plus 2.5 hours labor.all you focus owners have them change the fuel pump while it's under warranty .don't let them make excuses until you warranty runs out.if you're thinking of buying a focus..think very hard.
  • Options
    scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    I see that my local dealers are offering some great deals on the 2003 Focus. The ZTS sedan caught my eye, but I am concerned about reliability. A post here a few months ago said that most of the problems were with 2002 and earlier cars. Is that true? Are the 2003's more reliable? Should I just get an extended warranty?

I like the looks, specs and price of the ZTS, but after having owned a flawless Civic for the last 7 years, I really don't want to spend time in repair shops.
  • Options
    I stopped by a car dealer tonight and saw two Focus sedans, identical except one was built in Wayne, MI and the other in Mexico. Which would you buy and why? Is the build quality going to be the same from both plants? (I see someone else asked this question back in 2001, but I could not find any responses to it.)
  • Options
    celianeroncelianeron Member Posts: 16
    Hi,I chickened-out earlier this year on a '00 Focus SE...too many TSB/recall/complaints! Now, I'm looking a '02 SE Comfort(electric this&that) with V-tech motor. It has 18K miles(off-lease) with Warranty good til 3-05. The price is $8K.Should I take the plunge,and not look back?
    I'm 6-6 tall and getting older,and do love the seating height'n all. I've owned British & French cars plus a Pinto awhile ago.So, I do know about pain and problems.If I get this modern marvel Focus, should I head over to the Ford Dealer for some serious part inspection/replacement? What can I expect down the road? Will I loose my shirt? Thanks for the input.
    Ron
  • Options
    A used 2002 has already taken it's first year depreciation hit, $8000 is a fairly low price. Most go for more $. Also, the 02's have the bugs taken care of that plagued 2000's and no recalls were issued.
  • Options
    fyi..my friends focus is a 2002,go on www.alldata.com .there are more service bulletins than the cavalier/sunfire...and that's hard to beat.mind you the 2001 focus service bulletins were so long they made it into the guiness book of records ..
  • Options
    retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    I have an 03 ZTW and have 2 complaints, the lumbar seat which the 02 SE won't have so you should be ok and a final drive whine. I have visitors that rented an 02 SE no options.

I drove it to compare, the seats feel cheap and the road noise is considerably more than the 03 as (I believe) the 03's have more sound deadening insulation.

My suggestion is drive the thing for at least 50 miles in your usual driving areas before buying.
  • Options
    I tried searching focaljet.com, but unfortunately couldn't find any instructions there.

I sent an e-mail to the service dept. at my dealership to ask them to look into it. I told them of the possibility of a speaker, and also asked if they could install a 2000 model unit.

My service representative is taking my issue seriously, even going so far as to sit in four Focus's to hear how they sounded. They were all loud. He's having a mechanic look into the situation for me, though it is merely a design feature of the newer focus'. My 2000 turn signal was just purrrrfect, and I would be willing to pay up to $200 to have it switched/installed.

Will post the reply when I get it. It may take a couple of weeks because my service representative is off getting married and honeymooning.

p.s. It's not just the loudness of it...The turn signal also has a TICK-TOCK, TICK-TOCK! It hurt my ears the first 3 days; it doesn't hurt anymore...i've gotten somewhat used to it...but I'd still much rather have the 2000 model unit.
  • Options
    I just turned in my leased 2000 Ford Focus ZTS and purchased a 2003 ZX5 (for better visibility).

The ZX5 steering wheel feels "loose" compared to my ZTS. The ZTS seemed to float on air and I often drove with only one hand. In comparison, the ZX5 steering wheel seems to often react to bumps in the road by slightly moving to the left or right. Mind you...the car does not swerve in the road...nothing dangerous like that. I just feel like I better hold on or the car will mischievously take over.

My service representative at my dealership explained that the "looseness" was as a result of the bigger tires on the ZX5. That is, the 16" tires are wider and so have more surface area on the road.

A mechanic test drove the car (to rule out a problem), and checked the tire pressure. Everything was A-ok.

The ZX5 definitely has a different "feel/ personality". The looser feeling and bumpier ride feels sporty. The 2000 ZTS felt like I was in an airplane floating through the air (on auto-pilot...I barely had to touch the steering wheel).

One fun thing about the ZX5 is that it takes corners really well...it just seems to corner itself perfectly.

Does anyone know what else may be contributing to the different "feel" between these two cars? The service representative didn't seem to think it was also because the ZX5 is 7 inches shorter than the ZTS. The two cars have the same height and width.
  • Options
    anyone thinking of buying a focus new or used please read the 2004 addition of lemon aid. i should have read it before buying mine,i wouldn't of had a heart attack.and if you still buy one after reading that.."there is one born everyday"
  • Options
    What is Lemon Aid, other than the refreshing beverge?
  • Options
    it's not only lemon aid,it's every other book -magazine -newspaper-web sites-word of mouth-every mechanic i talked to and of course owning one as well as 3 of my friends.same problems same complaints..same pile of junk..but by all means buy one,all these information outlets of course are wrong,you've got one right low miliage right wait till you hit 80 -90,000km.$775.00 for a fuel pump (because it's badly designed)and there's a lot more "A LOT"..one born every day -ford counts on those statistics.with all this information readily available to us now adays why would some one still think otherwise.!!!!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Uhh, willie340, he's just asking what you mean, not challenging what you posted.

Do you have a link to the "2004 lemon aid" resource you are recommending? There are a number of websites that use that term so if you'd like your advice to be helpful you need to be more specific.
  • Options
    retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone know if the fuel pump problem extends into the 2003's..TIA
  • Options
    it's a book,you can find it at chapters or any book store.every year they come out with a newer edition.this is a direct quote from this book"the focus is the worst car ford has built in it's history"this was based on consumer complaints filed and the exhorbant amount of TBA's-recalls.as far as the fuel pump ford doesn't believe there is a problem with it yet when my mechanic phoned in for that part they had 17 in stock for the focus and when asked for a fuel pump for a 2002 mustang,that part would have to be ordered .ya right!! so the 2003's most likely have the same pump..
  • Options
    wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    If that truly is a direct quote from that book (and not an inference) then I would have to doubt the wisdom of that publication. "the focus is the worst car ford has built in it's history" You've got to be kidding me. Ford has been in business long enough to have built PLENTY of worse cars than the Focus. There's no way you can judge a four year old car against cars from decades ago. It's like calling Bush "the worst president ever." You can't judge something without the benefit of some history. I would say the Focus is a better car than almost any small or mid size car Ford made in the 70s.
  • Options
    Its a bunch of BS, pure propaganda.
  • Options
    i own a 2002 isuzu rodeo bought it new now has 61,000km on it,i use it as a service vehicle,my wife owned a 2001 focus se with the zetec engine.i have the work orders here,24 times back to the dealer for repairs/recalls.the last time was for a fuel pump that cost me $775.00.there was 72326km on it.our mechanic said he predicts the same fuel pump problem down the road(bad design).we sold it and bought a civic(hasn't been in the dealer since we bought it).it now has 24119km on it.by the way neither has the isuzu.i'm not saying not to buy one,just read up on them,when ALL the auto jornalist warn you about them..you have to listen.ask your mechanic to show you the list of TBA's he has access to.there's no propaganda,it's different people trying to give you advice.i've been on other car websites and there are alot of people with a lot of trouble with the focus.some people don't take the advice they have to go thru the headaches themselves to learn,hence the expression "one born every minute" bye
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    willie,
    If TSB's are your game go take a look at the list of them for the Civic (I used 2002). I stopped counting at 53. I only saw about 40 total for the 2002 Focus.

Good luck with that Civic!
  • Options
    Technical service bulletins are not a good measure of things gone wrong with a model. They are not comparable to recalls or data on reliability as collected by indie organizations. TSBs are very often updates by the manufacturer on service procedures, notices of improved tools, or helpful tips for the dealer tech to pass along to the consumer. The quantity of TSBs relating directly to mechanical problems even themselves are not necessarily directly correlated to a vehicle's reliability. A company that communicates better with its dealerships would naturally provide more TSBs than a tight-lipped company. You wouldn't look at a model with 0 TSBs and conclude that it will never encounter a problem. I think the number of TSBs, if measured for a model over a number of years, *could* be assumed to be proportional to a car's things-gone-wrong, but *only* if supported by Consumer Reports/JD Power data.
  • Options
    Well,today I got my Focus SE Comfort(too many electrics).It was a
    Big Co. Rental with 21K miles. It seems OK, for now.Although,on the way home I noticed the 'Door Ajar' light on the dash(Ouch!). Maybe, after slamming the doors & trunk a few,it'll go away for awhile. Anyway,this Focus has remaining Basic
    Warranty.Also,from an Oasis report,it's stated the vehicle was issued Extended Warranty Coverages-
    60/100K Powertraincare w/Roadside Assistance.Would this added warranty transfer to me as the new owner? Should I ask the local dealer,or with verify Ford HQ?Would it cover the Fuel Pump,or....?
    Thanks-Ron
  • Options
    fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Boy...perhaps I've been around long. Before I'd hang that label on my son's 2001 SE I'd have to put my '79 Capri way ahead of it on my list!
  • Options
    my 2001 focus LX is nearing 30,000 miles and i am about to get a 30,000 mile service. Does the transmission service require a filter or screen replacement along with the fluid change? Also, should I change the coolant at this time, or should i follow the manual and change it at 45,000 miles? Comment: My prior ownership of toyots has proven them to be more problem=free, but the focus is so much more fun to drive! If ford had made a highly reliable focus, from the start, it probably would be the finest compact car on the market.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The weird thing is that the Focus is one of the most reliable cars you can get in Europe. Too bad that history didn't carry over to the US Focus models.
  • Options
    warneywarney Member Posts: 10
    Looked long and hard at the Civic EX 4 door 5 speed (nice car) and at the Focus SE Comfort 4 door 5 speed with Zetec, Sunroof, ABS, and Traction control, sticker is above $17k. Test drove the Civic EX twice and the Focus 3 times in the past 3 month's. Trading in a 1997 Escort with 90k in good condition. Paid $11000 with trade for the Focus, apples for apples the Ford was the better deal. Honda wanted $14,700 with trade, floor mats and 100k warranty was nearly $1000 extra, insurance is $200 more/year, sales tax on price difference was $330 additional, we're talking over $5200 difference right up front. Ford Dealer added complimentary oil changes and tire rotation/balance for the first 36k and a free loaner if the Focus needs repair, for my money the Focus was the better deal.
  • Options
    you might of got a good deal now,but dependablity and resale value should have been your main priority.they lure you in with price..i traded my 2001 focus for a new civic.i've got over 23000km on it(we live in the country)and not once in the shop.at 23000km i was back at the shop 9 times for the focus..don't forget you get what you pay for.good luck!!
  • Options
    warneywarney Member Posts: 10
    As I mentioned we looked at the Civic EX and Focus SE but the Focus was the better deal. The Civic quite possibly was a better car but not for the money. We considered the superior resale value, higher gas mileage, and quality reputation of the Honda, but the $5200 saved up front, $200/year cheaper insurance, and the complimentary extras the dealer gave on the Focus were enough inducement to buy. We anticipate good service from the Focus while enjoying the huge cost advantage over the Civic.
  • Options
    Dependability and resale value should be my main priority? Thanks for setting me straight, I was under the assumption that I could choose whatever vehicle I wanted for whatever reason I wanted. I guess I'll just become a conformist.
  • Options
    entry level cars such as the civic and the focus are designed to sell fast at a lower profit.cost to produce these cars are kepted at the lowest price posible.MSRP on the civic ex is 17,520 and the focus se is 17,180.when sold the profit margin on both are compatable.the focus is loaded,the civic is plain.both the same price ..both the same profit margin...so how can ford offer so much ,what did they skimp on..quality with leads to dependablity with leads to lower resale value.read the auto book called "lemon aid 2004 edition" it states "focus is the worst car ford has built in decades" i tend to agree.oh..you can buy what you want.it's not my money.
  • Options
    Can I find the lemon aid 2004 edition on the net--where?
  • Options
    you will not find it on the internet,it's in all book stores.yes that was a direct quote from this book.it's findings are based on the number of customer complaints(and there's lots),recalls(they say the most they've seen for one car),TSB's(they say the mechanics are given instructions to literally rebuild the car)...
  • Options
    Hi, I just got my '03 Focus SE Comfort used(fleet) with 21k miles.The car seems fine for now!
    Although, it also seems in town to suck gas! Should I run over to the Ford Dealer for a check-up? What will they do or not and for how much?What will a computer check produce. I kind of don't want them to touch what ain't broke,yet.The VIN came up with Extended Service Protection 60/100K PowerTrain.How do I verify that will transfer and is in effect?Good Luck to all concerned.
    Ron
  • Options
    "EX" is top of the line in Honda terminology. MSRP on Civic EX sedan is $17,060. MSRP on Focus SE sedan is $15,365. Both with nearly identical options. And that's before financing and rebate differences.
    "when sold the profit margin on both are compatable...both the same profit margin"
    Huh? How do you know that? You have access to their books? I think if Ford and Honda were both making the same profit on their vehicles, Ford would be in a lot better financial shape right now.
  • Options
    look at warney's letter.he stated the focus was above $17k.i looked up MSRP in edmunds.i know business and to stay in business you aim for a set profit percentage.focus with ABS,sunroof,traction control..come on wijoco ford can't offer so much more without skimping on something .have you read the auto book called lemonaid 2004?
  • Options
    fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Okay...so you had a car and you had bad luck with it, so you got rid of it and now you've got a car you like. Okay, fine. I'm very happy for you and wish you and your Civic nothing but good things.

willie340 I think you should put your Focus problems behind you and get on with your life. You had them, remedied the problem and now are in car nirvana. Why must you continue to relive this painful portion of your life? You paid your dues man, now go out there and live the good life (and stop telling all those of us who have bought a Focus that we screwed up).

Go to a Civics board and join with your fellow Honda owners. Trust me, you'll feel much better if you don't continue to associate with people who would buy a Focus! Come on man...we feel your pain.
  • Options
    Adding ABS and power moonroof to the Focus SE brings MSRP to $16,705, as compared to Civic EX @ $17,060, which now correctly compares their options. What someone else paid for a particular model off a dealer's lot has nothing to do with MSRP. Interesting to note that the Focus includes the 60/100,000 powertrain warranty. I don't know what that would cost on the Civic, or if it's available. Although it's a bit misleading, as it really only adds about 2 years to the existing warranty. It would be great for someone who plans to use the car for sales or business and would put 20,000+ miles a year on the car. That way you could get the full mileage warranty.
    Again, how do you know Ford and Honda make the same profit on the Focus and Civic? I'm really anxious to see your numbers.
    "have you read the auto book called lemonaid 2004?"
    Hmmm...Lemonaid 2004. I dunno. Have you mentioned that? It seems like I remember someone bringing it up at some point but I can't quite place it...hmmm...Does ANYONE know when the WATERSHOW is???
  • Options
    i am a spokesperson for a group of 23 owners from only one dealership in this location.we all have problems with the focus (2000-2002).we have meet with over 200 very unhappy focus owners.mine is to spread the word via auto forums like this one.by hitting ford where it counts(in sales)maybe they will produce a decent level entry automobile which we know they are quite capable of producing.as long as there are people like you,ford will think that they have achieved a level of quality that is acceptable.
  • Options
    hi Ron--on my 2001 focus lx i average about 24 mpg in a combination of half city and half highway driving. i improved the mileage by installing a K&N air filter(about $30, and last indefinitely with 50,000 mile cleaning; and, i use x-1r engine additive (4 oz.) at each oil change. Straight highway driving yields about 30 or more mpg. Also i put Techron fuel system cleaner in the tank every 4000 miles. Engine purrs like a kitten. as my warranty expire next month, i contracted for an extended warranty which is bumper-to-bumper for 5 additional years at a cost of $982.00 This, i believe is all that can be done to get maximum performance from the focus. The dealer will sell you an engine flush and fuel injection cleaning for $200.00, and your gas mileage will stay the same!Also, try and use Chevron or MOBIL GAS AS I GET THE BEST MILEAGE AND SMOOTH running from them. The time to get the extended warranty is when your ford warranty is about two months from expiration. Also, change the oil(5W-20) at least every 4,000 miles or 4 months, whichever comes first. A problem area on the focus is the fuel pump which is about $750.00 to replace---thus the necessity of a good extended warranty. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR FOCUS1
  • Options
    Thank you for stating your purpose here. With your posting history here, I honestly thought you had some sort of financial interest in the sales of this Lemon Aid publication. Best of luck, but I do believe that your approach isn't going to get the desired results.

As for the fuel pump, I know a few people that own or have owned Foci (count myself in that category), and none have had a fuel pump failure. I know people that have had fuel pumps fail in various makes and models (including Hondas!). The one thing they all had in common was the tendancy to rarely have their gas tanks above 1/8th full and to always use the absolute cheapest gas they could buy. Interpret this however you want.