Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• Options
    daevendaeven Member Posts: 28
    My '95 Aurora rear-end (188K mi) got stuck in the full up position while parked on a slanted driveway. It's scheduled for a trip to the dealer on Friday. Has anyone had this problem? I'm hoping there is a less costly solution than replacing the whole system.

What aftermarket rear suspensions have been used?
  • Options
    fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    I have some low gloss armor all. It did not make things worse and I have used it again. The directions suggest wiping off with plain water to reduce the gloss. I decided to try sudsy ammonia and I think that the dash is now a uniform low glossiness. So I am thinking that the previous owner/dealer may have done something to make the surface shiny. It really is only a problem when there are shadows and driving into the sun.

Thanks
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    My 95 is in the shop for this problem. Since Warranty Gold has not authorized the repairs for the past 2.3 weeks, I can not tell you what the fix is yet. I should know by year-end though. Warrnty Prite is more like it.
  • Options
    gisomgisom Member Posts: 144
    While filling up the gas tank yesterday, I heard my load adjusting. Just a thought maybe putting some weight back there might shake it up.
  • Options
    The load leveling system includes special shocks, sensors to detect need for leveling, and the air compressor. If you have pressure, then the sensors may need adjusted or replaced. Replacing parts does get expensive (hundreds, not thousands). Cadillacs computer controlled suspension (STS) is much more expensive to fix. It could probably be disconnected.
  • Options
    The system can be disconnected. I thik it was KYB that made the rear shocks and supplied a diagram on how to defeat the load level system. I chose not to defeat a system I paid money to have.
  • Options
    pizza442pizza442 Member Posts: 110
    Went ahead with the 2yr/30,000 mile deal from Warrantybynet for about $1050 and got no charge financing for 10 months. Have to wait 30 days and 1000 miles for it to kick in. We'll see how long the fresh freon charge lasts, leak is probably in the evaporator in the fire wall Anybody know what part of the leveling suspension that these warranties will and will NOT cover?
  • Options
    arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    R&T confirmed that the 3.5L Shortstar is being discontinued in 2002. So, there will be no more intrigue or Aurora 3.5. That means that my car is now a classic! Ha. It's too bad, because it is a very good engine. Supposedly GM is dropping it because they couldn't make it meet new emission levels.~ A.R.
  • Options
    taylorb27614taylorb27614 Member Posts: 15
    My 98 with 44,000 miles had a very slight oil leak which I pointed out to the service folks. Turned out to be a major repair job. Warranty covered spliting the engine cases and replacing some gaskets. Would have cost me > $1500.
  • Options
    Used to be able to open the trunk with the dash button or the remote key button when the engine was running. Neither button works until I shut the engine down. What's going on with this new feature? Ideas?
  • Options
    jwadlejwadle Member Posts: 12
    Just a warning, I have a 97 Aurora with 59,000 miles on it, and last week I hear the engine start making a rattle type noise (similar to a heat shield that was loose).. Then the next day I hear the power steering making lots of noise.. I checked the fluid and it was empty, so I added some (quite a bit actually) and drove for about a week before it started making noise.. Well I brought it in to the deal for both noises and guess what.. The Rack is shot (leaking on the passenger side) and so is the idler pulley.... Total for the Rack $1,180.00 (plus tax) and $385.00 for the pulley and serp. belt..... And no, of course I don't have the warranty... If anyone has the chance to get one.. get it..
  • Options
    You might check to see how your car is programed. I know you can program the automatic door locks to open and close under different circumstances. You might check to see if the same thing is true with the trunk release buttons. Just a thought.
  • Options
    rocket95rocket95 Member Posts: 13
    daven

I have a 95--haven't had problem with leveling. Have you checked the Electronic Level Control (ELC) fuse in the rear fuse block. Sytem requires constant voltage to the ELC height sensor, ELC relay and ELC compressor assembly exhaust solenoid.
  • Options
    I bought my 98 used .... Bose system with the factory 12 CD changer (nice sound) but it has the in-dash CD as well. Was this the normal way of optioning the car or do you think GM added the 12 disc changer after delivery?
    On another note .... Leatherique ..... got this and am amazed at the results on my interior. It is a 2 step leather conditioning / cleaning product that rejuvenates old stiff leather as well as maintains newer man-made and leather interiors.
  • Options
    zinc1zinc1 Member Posts: 133
    Pizza, can't tell you if Warrantybynet covers the leveling suspension, you should call them.

jwadle, I'd recommend a warranty asap - to anyone who doesn't have one.

taylorb27614, I don't have the Bose, but the pics I've seen don't have the in-dash CD with the 12-disc. Just the tape deck at the top.
  • Options
    So what's the latest opinion on who sells the most customer friendly, value conscious extended warantee for Aurora drivers in the US.
  • Options
    hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    OK, PatHost, I know there's discussions over on the Finance Board. I've read them all.

For me, I'm looking closely at WarrantyByNet (Edmunds' current partner) and 1 Source (Edmunds' previous partner). Warranty Gold (you got it, Edmunds' partner before 1 Source) is out because of a lot of complains (including from Henry here).

I have not called either company, just looked at the messages/reviews on-line, and at their web sites. WarrantyByNet seems to cover a little less than 1 Source (i.e. doesn't cover thermostats), but the quote on my Aurora was a little less than 1 Source.

I've heard good things about their warranty administrator, American Guardian. I think 1 Source administers their own.

The 1 Source folks seem to be responsive and relatively ethical in the way they handle things on their board. I'd love to hear if anyone here has specific Aurora experience with either one of these companies.

I also hear a lot about WarrantyDirect, but they don't operate here in Wisconsin.

There's also http://autowarrantyreviews.org for your perusal...

Hope this helps,

--Robert

• Options
    ...didn't mean that to come across sarcastically (what I get when I type responses on my lunch break at work :-). There is a Finance and Warranty board here, and, if you're considering an extended warranty, but haven't read it, you should...

--Robert
  • Options
    to WARRANTY GOLD
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Haven't posted in here in awhile. Seems like most of the talk is about the old auroras and not to much enthusiasm for the new ones.
    Have noticed that my dealer has sold all of his intrigues but has auroras stacking up on his lot.
    Don't think olds will be around too much longer unfortunately.
    Turned my intrigue in June 1 under the GMAC lease termination. Olds dealer's service department was the worst.
    Got an impala. Doesn't have the engine the intrige did but have enjoyed the more rigid body structure and the lack of squeaks and creaks.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    My posts suggesting the FW&I board are only meant to be helpful - there's lots of info there that maybe some of our members aren't aware of. I'm glad to hear that you found it, and wish you well in finding what you need - please do keep us posted here on what you decide and how it works out.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    Intrigues, and Olds in general, are selling like crazy according to MT.
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Just goes to show the incompetence of GM execs. They aren't selling because they're going out of business. They're giving people a reason to buy them. Had they done this thing with the warranty and rebates only 2 years ago we'd be talking about the next generation Olds.

BTW, my '98 Intrigue got totalled. I really wanted to be an active member of this forum but Auroras and guys 6'8" don't mix. But I'm still in the family. Picked up another Intrigue (2001).
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My experience is that emap/peterson publications are 1-2 months behind everyone else when it comes to reporting on automotive matters.
    Try www.autosite.com for sales figures.
  • Options
    In 98 the bose came with both casette and cd. The 12 disk changer was optional for the bose as well as the standard radio. Adding the changer does not get rid of the standard in dash CD.
  • Options
    daevendaeven Member Posts: 28
    I got the call from the dealer. My suspension problem was caused by a wire that melted on the exhaust. He said it was the cheapest auto leveller problem he has even seen!
  • Options
    jimr97jimr97 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 97 that also has the in dash CD and a 12-disc changer. I have the 97 Helms manuals and it does not show this model for 97. I've been trying to figure out if it was the Bose unit or not. Apparently it is. Does your in-dash CD player work? When I put a CD in mine it displays an E22 code. The changer works fine though.
  • Options
    Well, I climbed up into the attic and found the old slide projector (circa 1960) to view the color sides of the Cadillac Aurora concept. Went ahead and snapped them with the digital camera and uploaded them here over the b&w ones that were at the site. They're not great, but they are better than the black & white pics.
  • Options
    lobstermanlobsterman Member Posts: 31
    haven't had any problems with my '97 classic for a couple of months now. hope i'm not jinking myself. henry, read your experience with WG on the warranty forum. WG has come thru for me on 3 repairs on my classic. have 67800 miles now, what would be needed to be done at 72000? does anyone use 10w40 oil in their classic? i live in florida.
  • Options
    arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    I would like to hear from 2K1 owners- do any of you notice an abnormal amount of brake dust coating the front left wheel? I was washing the car today, and the right was okay, but the left had so much black dust on it, I had to really scrub. Thanks~ A.R.
  • Options
    WG was always kind of okay. But their new "get tough" policy with thier customers is not good. I would thing your expereince with them has some age on it.

Try the "new and improveed" Warranty Gold and se what youget.
  • Options
    lobstermanlobsterman Member Posts: 31
    henry, my last claim was on feb. 28, 2001. it was to replace both hub bearings, including the hub kits. bill was for $983.00, brought car in in the morning, was ready at 4:30 in the afternoon.

what kind od oil and oil filter do use on your classic? saw in auto parts store a oil for "older high mileage cars". i have almost 68000 miles on my classic. would like to keep car forever.
  • Options
    That's about right. The company told me that all of their new polices started about 4 months ago. So I congratulate your (or should I say car's) timing. Sounds like you got in under the wire.

I just use regular oil in the car (whatever the manufacturer says) and do it evey 3k miles. I have about 64k on my 1995. When she runs well. She runs well! We are now breaking week 4 of the car vacationing at the dealership. Oh me? I just "enjoy" my little 4 cylinder 1991 Mercury Capri. I just wish it had some more "Kickbutt" under the hood and was not so jumpy on the road.

I still want my Convertible Classic in White Diamond

Where forth art thou Auroara?
  • Options
    garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    I've recently purchased a used black 98 Aurora with only 13,000 miles. I'm just past 18,000 and simply love this car. I've always thought they are one of the best looking cars on the road - big or small. Virtually every full sized luxury car I can think of is plagued by stodgy, boxy, or just plain ugly styling except perhaps a Jaguar and the bigger BMW's aren't bad looking either. The first generation Aurora is truly one of a kind. I've scanned the comments on this board and have some comments and hopefully some helpful tips of my own. Here goes:

1. If you want some free horsepower for your Aurora, replace you air filter with a K&N air filter. K&N confidently claims a 2% to 4% increase in power. The 2% applies more to an economy 4 cylinder "normal" performance engine. I would think a high performance engine like the Aurora's would realize close to, or all of the maximum benefit from the increased air/fuel mixture flow. (the computer automatically feeds more gas for the additional air flow) Anyway, you should get a minimum of 5 extra horses and more likely 10! Dialing the Aurora up to 260 horse and 270 torque is definitely cool. Perhaps many of you are already familiar with K&N, but if you're not (and I doubt most people driving luxury cars - especially Lexus owners are) then check it out. It will cost about $73, but it lasts 40,000 miles before needing cleaning (they are washable). Just remember the gasket goes on the top half of the air box, and make sure that darn hose is all the way on the air box - it is hard to get on right, and I'll bet the oil change places screw it up all the time. Sucking unfiltered air is not cool. I got mine at Auto Zone. If you call K&N, they say that the filter is for 95, 96, and 97 I think. Auto Zone sold it to me as being for a 98, but K&N does not list 98 or 99. Anyway, 96 through 99 have the same air box part number (95 is different I think but the filter is still the same - I think) so it has to be fine. Mine fit great - but very very tight due to the gasket they give you. You have to push hard to close the clamps. Oh yeah, the paperwork in the box will not list the Aurora. I called K&N on that too, and they said that it was an old sheet that had not been updated.

2. I've seen comments saying the Aurora is not "competitive". I'd disagree. It moves very nicely for 2 tons. In addition, if you have the "autobahn package", (Michelin MXV4 tires and a 3.71 rear end - normal ones had a 3.48) you can really fly - definitly faster than the questionable 0 to 60 times stated for the car. The K&N extra power should make you even faster yet. And if you really want to jump, I think you need to turn the traction control off. I'm not sure on that one, but it starts applying braking pressure when the wheels start to slip, and then retards the timing. That's my understanding anyway.

3. If you have scratches in the paint, you can remove them or greatly reduce them with Meguires mirror glaze No. 7. It's safe. I've used it with great results. You do have to literally rub your arm down to the nub for bigger scratches. It doesn't remove any clear coat. The microscopic grit in it creates friction and heats the surface as you rub and "smoothes out" the clear coat like smoothing the icing on a cake. You can see the scratches becoming muted. You have to rub very hard repeatedly for bad scratches. Make sure everything is absolutely free of debris. I'd just do it by hand and not risk burning the surface with a power tool.

I hope this stuff is of some use to you Aurora owners.
  • Options
    pizza442pizza442 Member Posts: 110
    Gee , I waiting my 1 month and 1,000 miles until my new Warrantybynet warranty kicks in and in the mean time I had the coolant system flushed and thermostat changed (probably for the first time on this 95) by my buddies at the dealership and the new thermostat stuck on the freeway while my wife was driving! Red zoned and the bells went off and DIC said turn air off then 3 seconds later stop engine now but she waited until the next exit. Car seemed okay when I got there and started and ran fine, but I had it flat bedded to the dealer to replace the new thermostat on Monday. This is the reason I had them do the work in the first place so when my warranty starts, I don't want any uncovered cooling related problems. Does my 95 have the 50 mile run dry cooling feature like the Cadillac Northstars ? I'll have to find my brochure.
  • Options
    Hi folks,

Garnes - sounds like we have a similar car. I picked up my black '98 Autobahn in late March for $17k, w/27k miles on it. I love it, and want to drive it forever...

I was driving it to Chicago this week on the Tri-State Autob, er, Tollway (the Aurora cruises really nice 85-90 with the rest of traffic :-), and the car ahead of me swerved to the right. I looked sharp and saw part of a muffler in the road. I swerved to the right as well, but not far enough, and my driver side front tire kicked the muffler part up and across my driver door. Yup, it's got 2 scratches, about a 6"-8" long each, below the "beltline".

I've cleaned 'em up really well, but they're wide enough that I don't think Meguire's is going to help. Used to be that you could get touch-up paint from the dealer... is that still my best option?

Also, I'd noted this before I hit the muffler, but my driver side front tire (Michelin - I have the Autobahn package) has a slow leak (have to add 4-5 pounds every 10 days or so). My tires still have a fair amount of tread left on them, but they are cracking pretty badly, probably because my car sat on the dealer lot for nearly a year.

I'm considering replacing them before the snow flies here in Wisconsin. Has anyone out there replaced their MXV4's with something other than another Michelin? The Bridgestone Turanza Revo tires seem to get better reviews, and they're a little cheaper ($109 for H-rated, versus $129/$130 for H-rated MXV4's, and $149 for the V-rated MXV4's). I don't know about wet traction (it's been dry here - no rain in over a month), and I obviously haven't driven in the snow, but in general I'm not too pleased with the Michelins (the tires seem to squeal VERY easily - OK, I'm a fast driver, but they still squeal rather easily taking 15-20 mph corners, and yes, they are inflated to 30 psi).

Does anyone have any feedback or tire opinions (not Firestone :-) to share?

Thanks, in advance,

--Robert
  • Options
    garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Mark, sorry to hear about the flying muffler mishap. I use to live in Flossmoor and drove 294 all the time. I hate the truck loads of stone. If the scratch is not past the paint and into the primer, give the meguires a try. Car-Brites "power-pak" is a more aggressive glaze that works miracles. Don't use it on the whole car. I got some swirles that I had to rub out with the meguires. Use the power-pak on scratches only. You will be surprised. A detailer used it on an other car of mine that got dented and scuffed pretty bad. I was amazed. Call some detail shops and ask about the Car-Brite products and the "power-pak", or any other tricks they may have.

The tires may squeel for the same reason they are cracking. Maybe they are just prematurely deteriorating. I have no problem with the Michelins. If you really punch it, you are going to squeel any tire with the car - especially one with the "autobahn" 3.71 rear end.
  • Options
    redskin024redskin024 Member Posts: 110
    My father replaced the tires on his Aurora's with Cooper Lifeliners. I guess he liked them OK. From what i remember i thought Aurora tires were inflated to 45 psi. Maybe that was the Eagle GA's? I also believe the standard is 35 psi, not 30. Check your tires sidewall to be sure.
  • Options
    Pizza, the Aurora 4.0 has the same 'limp home' feature as the Northstar. Mine did the same thing when the serpentine belt shredded on the freeway.

Regarding scratches: Meguire's Fine Scratch Remover will remove some fairly wide scratches. I was amazed. But you need a motorized buffer to use it - I used a rotary drill buffer for the smaller working area and it worked great, no swirls.
    Re: Tires, I've heard that the best deal is with Tirerack.com's Yokohamas, but I haven't tried them.
  • Options
    The recommended cold pressure is 30. Eagle GA's can have up to 44. I usually run mine (Eagle GA's) at around 35. I find that at 35-37 the handling is marginally better and the ride is not noticably worse. At 40 the Eagle GA's feel like GT's, which is to say hard. (My 86 T-type had GT's).

On the CD: If you have the changer, the tape-CD button allows you to switch between tape, in dash CD and changer so my owners manual says. I do not have the changer.
  • Options
    >Check your tires sidewall to be sure.

Actually, the tire pressure/loading info is located inside the trunk lid, and also on the inside of the driver's door.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I may up the pressure on mine to 35 psi (squealed my tires today making a left turn behind a base-level Saturn today - that should speak volumes about how noisy these Michelins are). I will probably look at the H-rated Michelin Pilot XGT's - their ratings (both Tire Rack's and customers) are generally higher than the 3 kinds of MXV4's, and they're Tire Rack's most popular replacement for those Aurora Autobahn drivers:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/michelin/mi_pilotxgth4.jsp

Going out to look for some Meguiar's scratch remover,

--Robert

• Options
    Tires that squeal when making turns could indicate alinement problems. My Eagle GA's are noisy on concrete pavement but very quite on asphalt.
  • Options
    neufeldneufeld Member Posts: 1
    96 Aurora owner wanting to get some more performance of the already wonderful car. Anyone have experience with the following mod or where it might be possible to get them done?

Air Intake
    Strut Supports
    Exhaust
    Removing the speed limited
    Performance Springs

Any help with this would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Danny
  • Options
    joeoldsjoeolds Member Posts: 39
    We'll be taking the classic to Denver for the Olds Nationals next week. My wife will get to see how she does on the open road. Also will be taking my '73 Cutlass Supreme which is currently this months feature car at http://cutlasscoupes.com

Even though we will enter the classic in the Aurora class it will mostly be used as our driver.

happy motoring.

• Options
    there is a p-lace in Cananda. the website was posted here before. One of the Canadian guys did it. He will probably do it agin now that we are asking hime to repost it. Or, maybe one of the "old timers" has the website.
  • Options
    shucknetshucknet Member Posts: 98
    When I bought my 98, it had S rated Goodyear Integrity tires on it and it handled like poop. I immediately pulled them off and replaced them with Michelin Pilot MXMs. They were more expensive, but they are pretty good. I think my Aurora's been in a wreck from the side (I'd like to smack the pukes who repaired it as badly as they did) so it's not the greatest handler, but the MXMs made a big difference. But - they are NOT for snow. Took the car to Colorado and slid every way but forward. So, you'd need snow tires for winter (I use a pickup when it's slick out)
  • Options
    redskin024redskin024 Member Posts: 110
    "handled like poop"

How exactly does poop handle? Soft and squishy i would presume, and downright stinky. Maybe even a little CORNy! or the CORNering was no good! i crack me up....
  • Options
    There is RSM.com for performance mods. Might be more on the classic site, links page - yeah, I know, another shameless plug.
  • Options
    Okay guys, I am going through withdrawal symtoms over here. I am
    *-/** stuck in a 1991 4clyn Capri that can not get out of its own way. NISSAN SENTRAS DUST ME OFF!! A minivan DUSTED ME OFF! A minivan!!

I think I need to rent a car that has something (anything?) under the hood.

A MINI-VAN!!!!

Come back to me Lady Aurora ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~

Get Well Soon ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma, Henry. I think the record so far is 6 weeks. I hope it doesn't go on that long. Funny how GM dealers and warranty companies couldn't care less if we're left car-less. Although I can almost see why the warranty companies would want to make things unpleasant for claimants.

Anyway, I received an email from Poland today. He just bought a black '95 Aurora, and said that there are about four Auroras in Warsaw, to his knowledge, and he's seen more in other cities. I can't imagine the wait he'll have to endure when shop-time comes. He said there's only one GM-trained mechanic in the city - and, as we've found out, GM-trained doesn't mean Aurora V8 trained.