Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• Options
    garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    I noticed that Car and Driver (supposedly clocked the classic autobahn at 7.4) does state "All performance results are corrected to standard atmospheric conditions". At least they do so now. If they did back in 94 when they tested it, then that is perhaps a better number. I'm referring to the long list of past test performance listed toward the back of the magazine. They state the test conditions there. I don't think they state this stuff in any of the feature articles on new cars though.

Conversely, Road & Track states something to the opposite - pointing out that atmospheric conditions at the time of test will affect the observed performance. They apparently make no such corrections. They do however note if the performance was adversely affected by obvious conditions such as high altitude.

Tires - I think Henry had a very salient point about comparisons between old tires and the new ones that anybody chooses. Those old tires do tend to sometimes develop a different personality as they wear out and age and probably make any decent new tire seem great.

The new MXV4's on the new Aurora have a 400 tread wear as opposed to the 300 that the old autobahn got. Those 300's truly don't last so long. Unless any of you new Aurora owners tell me you wish you had something other than the factory MXV4's (or whatever they are called now) I think I'll stick with them. I can't wait to put the new Aurora 17's on the classic - probably in a couple of months.
  • Options
    I've been using the Mobile 1 oil filters with my M1 oil. Since the filter does filter out much smaller particles, I am concerned about pressure drop across the filter. I'm sure that could be compensated for by providing additional filter area inside the filter, but I've really not seen or heard anything about this. Does anybody know any data on this? Read any articles?

I'm starting to wonder if the M1 filter is really worth the money and if it contributes to extra pressure losses in any way. I'm sold on the M1 oil, but I wonder if an AC filter wouldn't do just fine.

This is a cool site about oil filters and engine lubrication http://www.weekendmechanicsclub.com/delco/filters/oilfil.html

Please give me your thoughts.
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I just went up to Cleveland for an extended weekend jaunt. I left from the DC area, and it's about a 350 mile drive. On the way up, I stopped off at Falling Water in PA so there were some slower roads, mountains, and it happened to be real windy/snowy. I got about 22.5 mpg while driving about 65-75mph. On the way back from Cleveland, it was all interstates and I only got 24.3 mpg at about 70-80. I'm a bit pissed about that because that's pretty crappy. Other than that, it was a nice drive and the car was very confident in the bad weather. I did manage about 21 mpg while cruising around Cleveland, so that's pretty good.

Garnes, I don't know what to tell you about the M1 filter, but I have always been pretty confident with AC Delco filters. I guess because they are used by GM, and they have a vested interest in my car lasting (at least as long as it's under warranty).

I've said it before, but I am pretty satisfied with the Michelin Energys my car came with. They are quiet, good in bad weather, and have yet to squeal around a curve. I can't comment on treadlife, though, as they only have about 6 grand on them.
  • Options
    RJS - Michilin Energy?? How are those different than the MXV's?? I thought the new Aurora's had the MXV's. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

So you were in Cleveland and didn't stop by Corsa? Berea is very very close. There is an Olds dealer right near Corsa too - they put the exhaust on the 2001.
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    If that mpg is with the 4.0 I would say that is very good. If you have the 3.5 then maybe not so good.
  • Options
    fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    Did you reset the MPG computer before starting out? or is the MPG the average of what you were getting before and the trip? or is it the actual miles driven divided by what you put in the gas tank?

Since you didn't need the A/C you should have averaged about 25+ I should think.
  • Options
    fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    Since mobil 1 flows so easily when cold, I would think that their filters would pose no problem. However, I would not use their filters with conventional oil, as there could be a problem. When hot the oil should flow through easily anyway.
  • Options
    fjk - thanks. I would love to know if there is any data on these filters being tested under controlled conditions for a measured pressure drop. My concern is when under full throttle, if the filter would limit flow. You are probably right - when fully up to temp, the oil is gonna flow. I always drive it nice and easy until its up to or near temp anyway.

rjs - I've noticed that mileage suffers a little when it's cold out. I've had trips where the mileage was not so good, but most others where much better. I guess there are a lot of factors. But 24+ for 70 to 80 is not that bad. Any decent head wind is a killer. I'll bet that would be considerably better on a 60 to 70 degree spring day (if it ever comes).

Hey, you could be driving one of these no-torque and stupidly geared 2800 lb buzz boxes and get 1 to 2 mpg better on the highway. Imagine what one of these new G35's would get if cruising at 75 avg. 21 or 22 mpg? - and it's way smaller too.
  • Options
    aurora5000aurora5000 Member Posts: 168
  • Options
    Up to 4800 miles, in town I was averaging 18 1/2 on my 4.0 with mileage at 5200. On highway it got as high as 24.3 mpg.
    I did a relearn (battery powerdown)and mileage is now in town at 20 mpg, that the best I have got. I drive in town like a boiled egg is between my foot and the gas petal. RJS- It sounds like you are getting GREAT mileage. My mileage is figured by DIC.
    Will send you directly info. on a successful CAI installation.
  • Options
    Sam's Club has the exact same tires that come on the 2002-4.0 Aurora 17", the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus(H rated) OEM, right at $146 plus the installation/road hadard/balance and tax.
    You will have to special order them. Not sure if you have to pay in advance. The guy said it takes 2 weeks to get them in. Tires come out of Houston.
    I really like the MXV4+ tires even though I have had a sidewall ruined backing into a curb. I would suggest to stay with H rated tires. Good balance of handling and comfort.
    I have thought about the tires Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 (H rated), a step up from OEM when my current ones wear out. You can also get those at Sam's. Probably $50 more a tire.
  • Options
  • Options
    Just remember that a lot of these posts are from cars that are not as big or weigh as much as the Aurora. I try to judge from cars of similiar body size and weight...
  • Options
    On the side of my driver's door, it says tires to be inflated at 30 psi. It this too low, just right, or too high?? Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus 17" OEM's.
  • Options
    worldii2worldii2 Member Posts: 27
    I have 30psi in all four tires on my 96 Aurora. I have alway gotten outstanding wear at that air pressure. I presently have the Michelen MXV4 my second set since new ownership. I will go with the Dunlop SP SportA2 in the event I purchase tires again for the vehicle based on specifications, warranty and customer reviews.
  • Options
    I reset the DIC for the trip, and I also calculated the mileage from the pump. They were both about the same. I guess I figure no car should get worse mileage than my Corvette. When I used to drive down to Charlottesville to visit a friend at UVA I would always get about 25 or more mpg. It's a lighter car, though, and it was a manual (1600 rpms at 60mph). Also the trip was much flatter, and I'd do about 65mph as there were a lot of state troopers on rt. 29. So I guess it isn't too bad. Also, I did have the A/C on as the windows were fogging up quite a bit with the storms.

The tires on my car are Michelin Energy MXV4 Pluses, so that is why I called them engergys. I don't know if other tires would be better, but I have no complaints so far. Aurora5000, go with the inflation listed on the car. It will be just right. That is factored for the tires size and profile, vehicle weight, and the comfort/handling the engineers wanted. Don't be surprised if it is different for earlier Auroras, or 3.5 Auroras because they have a different sized tire (and the classics weigh more).

I didn't stop by Corsa. I guess I should have. It would have been interesting to hear an Aurora with the exhaust on. Actually, we were quite pressed for time as it was. Cleveland is really a neat city and there is lots to see. Plus, I have some family there that I wanted to visit with. I may plan another trip this year so that I can see some of the warm-weather-only exhibits like the William G. Mathers ore boat or the U.S.S Cod (a WWII submarine). The Rock Hall was neat, but I thought the $17 per person price was a bit much.

All and all, the car performed flawlessly. It was very confident over the slush covered roads on the way up, and in the rain on the return trip. It was very smooth, even over the weather-beaten streets in downtown Cleveland. The ride was exceptional, and the seats were quite comfortable. It did generate more wind noise than I expected on the trip up in strong crosswinds, but in more mild winds it was very quiet. It got incredibly covered with salt from the trip to Falling Water (a neat place, though I've never really cared for Frank Lloyd Wright's designs. Unfortunately the family room was being restored and reinforced so we couldn't see it. It is the neatest room with stairs that open into the falls. Wright ignored engineers when they said the room didn't have enough support from it's cantilever. Looks like they were right and he was wrong.). I took it to one of those do-it-yourself pressure washing places once I got home because I wanted to remove the crap from the wheel wells and underbody. I can't imagine washing my car there, though. The pressured soapy water doesn't clean the body very well, and they have some foaming scrub brush they recommend using on the body. I think you'd have to be crazy to wipe that thing all over your car. I just wanted to get the salt off. I will wash it by hand tomorrow when the rain stops and it warms up.

Oh, I used Medallion cleaner and #7 on the roof, hood, and trunk (I was short on time) and Medallion protectant all around last time I waxed it. The cleaner and #7 did a great job. You can see it's effect on swirls by looking at the C pillar (behind the back door) and then the roof or trunk. The little swirls are all gone from the cleaned/#7'd surfaces.

I also wanted to mention my satisfaction with the headlights on my car. The projector beams are excellent (the high-beams are just reflectors). I wonder why they aren't on more cars (they look pretty cool when they are off, too). The beam pattern is perfect with no hot or cold spots. There is a nice bright beam of light in the center from each headlight, and it smoothly spreads out to the edges. The beam cut-off is so crisp, it's almost amazing. You can see perfectly straight lines at the beam cut-off if there are rises next to the road. I might try some brighter bulbs when these burn out just for the heck of it, but the pattern is beautiful.
  • Options
    rjs - with the AC on, I'd say the car did great on the mileage.

You are right about Cleveland. I was very impressed with the little bit of downtown visiting I got to do. The R&R museum is over rated IMO. I like Hendrix a lot, but for crying out loud - half the place is devoted to him I think. There is lots of stuff from relatively less known groups and musicians. There is almost nothing representing many many of the great rock bands (pre MTV days). And then there were displays for Medonna and Kid Rock - yikes. I would not go back. One time visit is enough. I was left with a mixed feeling about the place. Yeah - it is pricey too.

However - go to the new science museum next door to the R&R. It is great! I had a blast in there.

If you visit Cleveland again, and you have time, I'd call Corsa ahead of time and see if the president will be there with his STS that has the system. Go for a test drive like I did. I'd love to know what you think compared to other stuff you've heard/driven. Also - I think they said the 2001 Aurora may have been done for the dealers car (down the street)- so maybe that one would be available as well for a first hand listen. I'd love to know what you think if you ever get the chance to visit over there again.

tires - The classic calls for 30 and I think it is best to stick with what the sticker says. On a different car, I always put it to 35 and went with the max. listed on the tire. Big mistake. They simply wore prematurely in the middle - over inflated.

Aurora5000 - I've seen that link some time back but forgot about it. It answered a lot of my questions. Thank you very much. Sounds like the AC's are great and if you want to go crazy the M1 are a little better perhaps. Do the M1's make any real difference long term? - Who knows. I'm really considering going to the AC's though.
  • Options
    stylin19stylin19 Member Posts: 4
    97 Aurora here. I still love the car. I haven't posted in awhile, cause the car is running so smooth. I had to have the a/c replaced, the brakes/rotors replaced, and the alternator replaced, all just after the warranty expired.
    It needs tires and I appreciate all the previous posts about tires. Having that info will make my life easier.

Here's my dilemma
    I had the battery replaced and now setting the seat memory, the trunk release and the passenger lumbar support don't work.
    The seat memory & trunk release both work fine from the remote key.
    I checked fuses and connections at the battery & the passenger seat, and they are all ok.
    Has anyone a possible solution ?

Also, I am about to go out an look @ a 99 Aurora for 16,995 w/ 26k miles on it. Is there anything I should be aware of re: the 99 ?

thanx to all in advance
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    I am interested in the answer to the trunk question. The trunk release on my 95 does not work from the inside button, but just fine from the remote. I thought maybe a switch went bad. I have not tried the seat memory though, I will check it tomorrow. But let me know if you find out anything about the trunk release.

I think there is bad trunk carma going around Oldsmobiles right now. Sunday, at church, a guy's 98 trunk lacthe went out. On Monday my trunk release button stopped working and now I see this post.

Hey guys watch your Auroras, there is a trunk bug going around.
  • Options
    cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    Did anyone check the trunk switch in the glove box? Mine got switched to the off position by mistake and the inside trunk release button would not work but the remote would, so check the switch in the glove box!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    stylin19stylin19 Member Posts: 4
    cwiley1

oh duh me !
    thanx...I just just checked & sho enuff..it was in the off position. trunk release works fine.

now, if i can get the seat memory to set and figure out what's wrong with the lumbar support in the passenger side ( motor works but it sounds like a jack hammer...no inflation)

thanx again.
  • Options
    shucknetshucknet Member Posts: 98
    This may be a dumb suggestion, but you must be in park for the memory seat to work. If you push 1 or 2 while not in park, it won't do anything. This is to keep you from getting smushed into the dash or pulled away from the controls while moving.
  • Options
    After I first got the car, I was playing with all the buttons. I hit one of the pre-sets and sure enough the person that set it was very short and I got smushed big time! At the last second I was getting worried about how far the darn seat was gonna travel.
  • Options
    That oil analysis I mentioned some time back turned out to be FREE! Very cool. The lab is POST labs and they are affiliated with Valvoline. The local Chevy dealer does a lot of business with Valvoline so the lab tests are free to this dealership. Even though I changed it myself and dropped off the sample bottle to the dealer, they still did not charge me. I'm probably the only do-it-yourselfer that has asked them to send in the oil sample for testing.

Perhaps some of you guys may ask around and be able to find the same kind of deal at any local dealership - probably a big one in a heavily populated area.

I highly recommend doing at least one shortly before the warranty runs out (98 & 99's right now) so you can catch something major like any trace of coolant in the oil, or some abnormal wear taking place that you don't know about yet. The regular cost is about $30 I think.
  • Options
    For anybody using a K&N on the Aurora (or paper too I guess), I've noticed that virtually all the dirt accumulates on one side of the pleats. When looking at it from one end, you can clearly see where the dirt is accumulating. Looking at it from the other end and it looks perfectly clean. The air basically enters at an angle - even with the modified air box. I noticed this on the stock box as well.

So, when the K&N gets dirty looking, just rotate it 180. It should perform the same as a new filter again.

I realize a lot of you may already know this, but I thought I'd mention it. Other cars I've had with the panel filters didn't do this due to different flow patterns in the box.
  • Options
    800wattaurora800wattaurora Member Posts: 187
    I'm looking to put an high flow exhaust system on my 96 Aurora, anyone change their stock set-up? Some shops told me I couldn't do it because of OBD II compliance, other shops said no problem just bring it in, we do it all the time.

Trunk sensor- I've also had problems with the button in the car, it ended up being the connector was loose behind the button. I pulled out the little panel it sits on and hooked it back together. It's easy to fix.

Performance- Anybody done anything?
    Tell me about it, I'm very interested it adding HP's.

taylorsturf@attbi.com

Taylor
    86 442 (stock 307 HO)
    96 Aurora
    White/tan
    tinted windows
    Wood dash kit
    xenon headlights
    KILLER 800 WATT SYSTEM
    Alpine 7887 CD
    Boston Pro 6.5 Components
    Boston 6x9
    300.4 JL Audio 4 way
    500.1 JL Audio mono block Sub Amp
    2 10w3d4 JL Audio
    1 Farad Cap
    Monster cable all the way
    Custom Carpeted Install with JL Logo
    (FUTURE MODS)
    RSM intake kit, Throttle body, 1" torque plate (just ordered, IN THE MAIL)
    Custom Exhaust
  • Options
    s2261s2261 Member Posts: 14
    I'm all set.
    Monroe Sensatrac Struts
    Monroe Max Air Shocks
    Dunlop SP Sport A2
    Full Alignment
    Total was a little over 800.00.
    So far the ride is stiffer and more responsive. Very tight in the corners. I'll take it out this weekend and give it a real road test. Thanks to all for the advice.
  • Options
    Subject vehicle put in service department for service engine soon light going from on and off to a steady on. Air condition after being recharged only remains cold for a few days. Would appreciate some feedback regarding the two issues.
  • Options
    Oldsmobile and the IRL Aurora V8 engine had an amazing streak of taking the pole in every single one of the 51 races it competed in (and won 49 of them). This year, with a Chevy Indy V8 engine replacing the Aurora, that tradition stopped as Infinity took the pole at the California Speedway for the Yamaha 400...

However, Chevy did take the 1 and 2 spots at the end. Of interest is the fact that Chevy started 22 cars, and 20 of them finished. Infiniti fielded 5 cars of which only 2 finished.

Also of interest is that last years champion, Sam Hornish Jr., is still in the lead despite the fact that there is now some competition from former CART teams. Roger Penske racing has left CART altogether to join the IRL, and Mo Nunn Racing and Blair racing have fielded an IRL team in addition to their CART efforts. CART has the attitude that they have better drivers than the IRL does, but the IRL drivers appear to be holding their own in competition. Hornish has won two of the first three races this season against former CART champs Helio Castroneves and Gil de Ferran.

Ever since the IRL spun off from CART, CART has sort of looked down it's nose at the IRL. They felt the IRL wouldn't make it because of it's lower-tech engines and lower-talent drivers. CART has had a lot of troubles recently, though, and the IRL has really been blooming. Penske apparently left because his sponsors like the exposure in IRL better than the exposure they got in CART. The IRL is much more American with American venues and more American drivers (CART has very few). Plus, it is significantly less expensive to compete in. The engine prices in IRL are fixed at a $95,000 limit compared to CART's typical $3.5-4.5 million season lease programs.
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    Okay OKAY OKAY

I got the stupid pills slipped into my water glass also.

There is no bad trunk Carma going around.

The switch in the glove compartment was turned off on my trunk release also.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ROFL!!
  • Options
    800wattaurora - Send back the RSM induction. They told me on the phone it added 8 HP at the engine. Just a K&N panel filter will add 6 1/2 to 7 at the wheels (8.5 to 9 at the engine). If you modify the airbox as I did, it adds a little more HP throughout the curve (no peak really) and adds more peak torque too. It's on http://www.caddyinfo.com Look for the 4.0 airbox mods and pictures. The dyno graphs are there too. The problem with the RSM induction is that it pulls hot air from the engine compartment. That's why it doesn't even perform as well as just using a K&N panel filter.

http://www.x-m-s.com is supposed to be coming out with a true cold air induction for the Caddy northstar that may fit the classic. Call them and ask for Bob. I'm hoping this will fit and add a few more HP's over my modified box.

Exhaust - Check out http://www.corsaperf.com If you drive to the Cleveland area, they may do a custom job on your car. Be careful, some of these systems can be loud. The Corsa system is not too bad. I drove over there and almost did this but decided not at the last second. I'm still debating it. Talk to Jim Browning Jr. at Corsa.

Also - try the granatelli mass air flow sensor. I've got one on my 98 and it seems to help. I need to dyno it this spring. http://www.granatellimotorsports.com You will need to get this directly from granatelli.

With exhaust and all, 280 Hp from the engine may be very possible if you combine several of the improvements.
  • Options
    Cause of light staying on was a defective oxygen sensor...covered under warranty. Had to pay for labor to insert dye and recharge fluid in air condition...air seems to be cooler FOR NOW!
  • Options
    Garnes- I'm keeping my RSM stuff. The larger throttle body combined with the a less restrictive intake and filter will add far more than 8HP. I know that it's not a true cold air induction, so I'm planing on forcing more outside air into the induction side of the engine compartment. First I'll make a heat shield separating the induction like this caddy owner http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/filter.html than work some 2-3 in flexible hosing into that compartment Bringing outside air in. The hose will start under the front bumper opening next to fog light. Creating a Ram-air effect. Of course I'll put some screens/filter in the hose to stop debris from entering and poking some holes to allow for water drainage. Making sure water has no way to make it to the filter by angling the hose down at the end with a splash guard/air deflector blocking the filter.

In the end the intake will be MOSTLY cold air to increase that 8HP gain to more like 14-20HP like most other good air intakes on V8's. The larger throttle body will also be good for 10-16HP

I'm interested in learning more about your Granatelli mass air flow sensor. I've done some reasearch on MAF sensors, but haven't made my conclusion on them yet.

How much did it cost you? My computer doesn't want to load there web page right now. Bummer. Did you really notice any difference? What is it supposed to do?

When I was Talking to RSM Racing, Jerry is their engineer who designs everthing and co-owns the place. His partner is Zolt (screen name) who drives their Aurora. They've done a lot of research and testing on Aurora's. Talked to them several times racking up a big phone bill to Toronto Canda. But anyways, Their considering selling a head port and polish job for 50+HP and possibly a Cam shaft but they don't have a high demand for aurora products.(kinda like Oldsmobile) They might make it and adapt their 4.0 Northstar knowledge to the caddy 4.6. That would be something. Could make some Northstar drivers very happy.

They recommended a exhaust setup since theres is install only at $895. Since i'm not going to Canada any time soon the told me what size op pipe to go with etc. They use Saber products and there LOUD. Zolt's Aurora sounds like a big block rolling down the street. Don't want loud exhaust. On www.caddyinfo.com they have good exhaust info. Think i'll go with DynoMax turbo- flow. A good shop by my house, E & R Racing said they could do it and still be emissions complient and OBD II complient . No word on price yet.

Any Questions, Comments, Concerns - Post them or email me at

taylorsturf@attbi.com

I can probably answer any stero related questions, Just thought I'd offer.

Taylor

86 442 (stock 307 HO)

96 Aurora

White/tan

tinted windows

Wood dash kit

xenon headlights

KILLER 800 WATT SYSTEM

Alpine 7887 CD

Boston Pro 6.5 Components

Boston 6x9

300.4 JL Audio 4 way

500.1 JL Audio mono block Sub Amp

2 10w3d4 JL Audio

1 Farad Cap

Monster cable all the way

Custom Carpeted Install with JL Logo

(FUTURE MODS)

RSM intake kit, Throttle body, 1" torque plate (just ordered, IN THE MAIL)

Custom Exhaust

• Options
  • Options
    cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    rjs----Is the Chevy engine they are running in the IRL this year the Aurora engine? In our sports page in the racing section last year when the last IRL race was won by the Aurora powered cars, the article went on to say that Chevy bought the rights to the Aurora engine!!!!! All they would have to do is change the valve covers and maybe something else. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Actually, Chevy made a lot of changes to the engine. I think they brought over some of the Olds engineers, but I don't really know (they don't really work just for Olds, but for some GM IRL development team I think). That's amusing that an article said Chevy "bought the rights" as if any money had to change hands. I don't really think that Chevy blew it or anything, I think the competition is just heating up. Infiniti is finally fielding a powerful engine (although it's durability might have suffered). I guess it's good Olds got out when they did so that they can have an untouchable record.

The Chevy IRL V8 is supposed to be smaller, lighter, more powerful, and more durable than the dominating Olds V8. I'd like to hear some driver's impressions, though.

This is from a GM press release (11-15-01):

"The second-generation Chevy Indy V8 has its roots in 1995, when GM Racing developed the first in its family of Premium V racing engines - the 4.5-liter Series 1 IMSA Aurora V8 - to run in IMSA's Grand Touring Sedan class. The engine, which won six races and eight poles in ten starts, set the standard for performance both for the series and for its progeny.

"Its offspring, the 4.0-liter Series II IMSA Aurora V8 (1996), Series III IRL Aurora V8 (1997) and the 3.5-liter IRL Aurora V8 (2000) have lived up to their high expectations, Negri said. In its debut year, the 4.0-liter IMSA engine won the Daytona 24-hour and Sebring 12-hour endurance races en route to capturing the 1996 WSC Drivers and Manufacturers championships. The IRL engines have won 49 of 51 races, including five successive Indy 500s, captured every pole and run the fastest lap in 31 consecutive IRL events."
  • Options
    800wattaurora - I too have talked to the RSM guys. They gave me the 8 HP number. Good luck with the heat shield and ramming some air.

I highly recommend talking to Bob at x-m-s.com He said he has some engineering company working on a cold air system for the Northstar. I think he is working on a supercharger too - and the RSM guys said they were going to do a supercharger for the 4.0 at one time.

As for ram-air - try calling Wheel to Wheel http://www.wheeltowheel.com These are the guys that built the Tim Allen 398 HP Deville. They modified the air box just as I did - AND they said they added a little "scoop" that attaches to the hole that allows air to flow from the inside of the fender. The idea is that there is some air velocity flowing inside that fender and some energy can be channeled into the box. These guys do the work for the GM pace cars - so they know what they are doing. None of this stuff was in the Car & Driver article, but they were very nice when I called them asking questions. Maybe you could try something like that.

As for exhaust - I highly recommend Corsa. I've heard their system first hand. It is not LOUD. About 70% of the time I want stock quiet, and 30% of the time I really wish I had gone ahead with the custom job. Oh well. Talk to Jim Browing Jr. He can even give you other references - including the local Olds dealer that put one on a 2001.

Wheel to Wheel uses Corsa on the GM pace cars too - Good Stuff. W2W had nothing but praise of Corsa.

MAF- $350. Special made for the Classic. It screws to the throttle body unlike most MAF's. What I got was a unit ordered from the dealer and they removed the screen and crudely bored it out a hair over stock maybe. The key is their recalibration for the modified flow characteristics. A little more air flow through the sensor isn't any good if the sensor is not reading it right any more. Removing that screen probably changes the flow characteristics across those little wires - hence the importance of the calibration. Talk to J.R. at GMS. He can tell you more.

I dyno'd the MAF with the AC on (did not know it) - and it pulled the same HP with AC on. You have to disconnect the battery when installing it, and when you reconnect the battery, the AC automatically comes on. I did not notice until I was rolling the car off the dyno. Oh well. I may go back for the fun of it.
  • Options
    I checked out that cold air induction link. Pretty cool - although a lot of that cone is up close to the heat shield. I'm not sure air would freely move around the entire cone. The key would be making sure the top of the shield seats nicely around the hood insulator otherwise it would not do much. I guess you could test that by placing a piece of tape on the "lip" of the shield and seeing if it sticks to the insulator when you open it again.

I've done some tests in rain with the stock box vs my modified box and I haven't had any water intrusion problems. Even the stock box gets a little water on the filter.
  • Options
    dwbeachdwbeach Member Posts: 7
    Aurora is running well since the computer has been repaired. Have really enjoyed the sun roof with the nicer weather we are having in Louisiana.
  • Options
    I believe the link is http://www.wheeltowheelinc.com

800watt, if you are interested in ported heads or cam work, check out http://www.chrfab.com as well. You might even try calling Shebly American http://www.shelbyamerican.com because they juiced up a 4.0l Aurora V-8 to put out 320 hp. I don't think they did anything crazy, mainly porting and cam work, and obviously a freer exhaust.
  • Options
    RJS - thanks for more direct link to W2W. I forgot about the Cadillac hot rod guys. I even called them but it was a lot of $$, and it's a big deal and they are in CA I think. The 398 HP deville was ported and all. It would be neat to leave your car some place fairly close and just let them do it. I'd be tempted to do that.

Thanks for the shelby link. I was trying to find that.
  • Options
    autobahn95autobahn95 Member Posts: 62
    garnes- i have read your postings on your dyno testing. i'm not sure what your procedure is for running a test, but i do know that for the Aurora, when the gas pedal is mashed to wide open throttle, the computer shuts the AC off just to free up those few extra horsepower. maybe this is why your numbers are almost exactly the same?
    just a thought.
  • Options
    autobahn95 - in that case, the MAF does nothing and is an expensive paper weight. Ug.

I never heard this about the computer. Where did you learn that from?

I guess to settle it once and for all, I'll have to go back.
  • Options
    I've talked to www.CHRFAB.com in the past and their products aren't applicable to stock oldsmobile aurora's. Every product from cams, head work, etc. is NOT OBD II compliant. They sell 4.0 & 4.6 Northstars only for HOT RODS with rearwheel drive. All of the internal up grades are re-calibrated for with their own pre-OBD II computer chip.

Corsa doesn't sell a set-up for the classic aurora. They would probably make one if you go to Cleveland. Their 2001+ Aurora exhaust products are shared with the Caddy Deville because olds used the seville exhaust on 2001+ to cut back on cost. Might give them a call anyways to get some mufflers though. Corsa or Dynamax, probably.

What does any body think about what I'm doing? Msg #2527 It will be faster than your Stock.

Neslon over at RSM told me what he thinks about MAF's. He used to work for GM and put them on LT 1's and he dosen't like them or recommends them.

How old are you guys.
  • Options
    I do think his heat shield is too close, I'll make mine better. Maybe even Dyno it. My friends go to the track sometimes, next time I'll give the Aurora some official 1/4 mile action.

The part designer/owner at RSM name is Nelson, not Jerry. Sorry Nelson if you ever read this.
  • Options
    800wattaurora - yeah, you have to go to Cleveland for a custom job from Corsa. I had it all worked out and backed out at the last second.

You are right about the Caddy hot rod guys. I remember them saying that the stock computer is out the window.

Opinion on #2527 - I think this sounds very good. I take it that you are going to do it like the 97 caddy picture you posted. If you give that cone a little more room and you have the shield fitting right up against the hood insulator, it should be a great improvement. It should be better than my air box mod.

A dyno test would be great. Love to see that. Keep us posted.

I've set a date to dyno the MAF once and for all. Perhaps it is a piece of crap. I'll find out. If it is no good, then I'll give RJS first dibs on the very cool paper weight! Half price!
  • Options
    800 - do you have the 3.71 autobahn?
  • Options
    autobahn95autobahn95 Member Posts: 62
    Garnes-
    to answer your question, i am not exactly sure where i read that the AC turns off when the throttle goes to wide open. i have read dozens upon dozens of technical articles on the Aurora, and i just can't pinpoint where i read that about the AC. i do know for a fact that it was 6 or 7 months ago.
    i will try to locate where i read it and if i find it i will pass the information to you.