Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    Hey guys. Has anyone here checked a trouble code on a their 95 before. My service manual says OBD1, the previous owner says OBD2 and AutoZone tells me to just do it manually with a paperclip. I just need to know what tool to bring home from work to check on a service engine light I've been getting. It almost seems like 95 was a split year for that stuff, so if someone on the board has done it before, it would be most helpful to know how.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    I had a 95 Riviera before the 98 Aurora and I think that they needed the newer computer but also an interface to connect up to the car. So the old interface and the new computer. Or maybe the new interface and the old computer. There was something strange about it anyway. There was an interface, that the dealer's service people would accidently leave behind in the car, so they wouldn't have it when they needed it.
    If I only had $40,000 to spend I'd be back at the Olds dealer for a new Aurora and then off to Corsa for a new exaust...but if you gave me just a few thousand more, I would be really tempted to get the Seville with the same Corsa treatment. Of course, I could get a Seville with just 40 grand, but then it wouldn't be new.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Oh, I'd borrow some more money and get as ES300 or GS300 so I can get beat by a trailblazer, and be mistaken for a Camry. But oh, the incredible carpet and leather would more than make up for it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah, another Aurora. Sure looks better and it is roomier than a CTS. Wouldn't I still have a lot left over - even with the 4.0?

For that money, where can you get a V8 like that, and luxury/sport mixed together? The Lincoln LS has gone well over 40 I think while the Aurora can still be had for well under 40 - right?
  • dtlr077dtlr077 Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering if anyone has researched putting the corsa system (the Cadillac one) on a '95. Is it possible without heavy modifications?

stickking1, the '95 is an OBD-I car with an OBD-II style connector. The AutoXray XP240 with a GM Specific OBD-II Style Connector will work. At www.autocheckup.com, it is product code 90112.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    LOL at Garnes! And yeah, you'd have a lot left over after loading up your 4.0. I think you could scrape out a V8 LS with zero options for just under $40K, but it is hard to picture spending that much money and having basically no features on the car.

dtlr077, Garnes and 800Watt have actually put the Corsa system on their classic Auroras. There is nothing different or special about the '95 as far as I know. So it is quite possible and they can give you the details. The system will have to be adjusted slightly, so you will likely need a shop to do it, but it doesn't sound too tricky.

fjk, the new Aurora's trip computer is displayed and used differently (different buttons) but I believe it has all the same fields as the classic does. Oil pressure is one of them.

Stikking, I think you'd need more than just a few extra thousand. A base SLS stickers at $46K. And that would have no memory seats, no rainsensing wipers, and no HomeLink. And not to mention the 16" wheels, touring rubber, and low speed limiter.
    You're right about needing more money. Maybe I could convince my insurance company that I was towing a boat when the car got stolen...or maybe had a new plasma screen TV sitting on the back seat.
      By the way, got the OBDII to work on my car (the 95). Looks like I'm in the market for a new EGR valve. That'll explain why my mileage has gotten so bad over the last month. I'll be back in the shop again this Sunday...at least this is an easy job.
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    Easy, buy low mile black on black 99 autobahn classic, buy extended warranty, install corsa system, install 2002 17" chrome wheels, install cold air induction system, install availabe suspenion upgrades, install stereo system that would make 800watts blush. And oh yeah, establish fund to pay for repairs when warranty runs out.

Sounds like $40,000 to me.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    >oh yeah, establish fund to pay for repairs when
    >warranty runs out.

Oh, ain't that the truth. My '98 is in the shop, again. I'm starting to feel like Zincster...

Took it in Thursday a.m. for an oil change, and to investigate a coolant leak/possible bad heater core (I've had an intermittent coolant smell in the car for the past couple of weeks - seems to only be noticeable when the temps are above 30 degrees, which hasn't been often here in Wisconsin).

Got a call within the hour, confirming a small leak in a crossover coolant pipe, but also asking if I've noticed any oil puddles or leaks from the car. Nope, though I did have to add 1 1/2 quarts since the last oil change - the only time I've had to (despite all the other discussions here, my Aurora has apparently not been consuming oil, at least, not until recently).

Well, it turns out the rear crankshaft seals are shot. The dealer says the job takes 16 hours of labor (nearly $1300 - before parts!), including dropping the engine and tranny. My extended warranty company wanted all of my oil change receipts (they asked for 8 for the 32k I've put on it - I gave 'em 10). They are sending an inspector out on Monday (grr, I had everything faxed to them by 3 p.m. on Thursday). Just lots of stress over the weekend that I didn't need (though I can't see how the warranty company can deny this repair, since I have been meticulous about maintenance and recordkeeping. What could I have purposefully done to cause these seals to fail?)

To make a great week even better, the thermostat went on my wife's GTP on a trip on Friday night (175 degrees is a little low, plus the defrost on full blast couldn't keep the windows from fogging up in dry 30 degree weather). So, I'm driving a base-model rental Impala w/289 miles on it. Plus, I couldn't get on-line until this morning, due to EarthLink DSL being down in Milwaukee/Chicago... *sigh*

I love my car, but not the way she treats me. I'm starting to think about using my GM Card dollars, my GMS discount, and the incentives out there to look at a 2003... even though I do not find the car as visually distinctive/attractive, and feel that the platform is a little decontented from the first-generation, it's hard for me to get excited about any other car that GM offers (and I'm spoiled by the luxury of the Aurora). While the jury is still out, the new Aurora does not seem to have as many recurring quality issues (most complaints have been the ISS lube and the flickering lights/alternator issue on the V-6 powered ones, which obviously I wouldn't be looking at :-)

Missing my Aurora,

--Robert
    Week five - I visited my car today. It didn't say anything at first but I could tell that it was glad to see me. We talked for awhile and then I had to go. I did bring it a get well soon card. I left it on the windsheild where it would be easy for my Aurora to see and read.

Poor baby had her transmission removed. She told me it hurt but that she didn't cry. She was a trooper! I'm so proud of how the car is keeping a postive frame of mind during this difficult multi-operation repair.

If you like I can post the car's mailing address. Better still, don't waste the paper and the postage. Go out and do something nice for your Aurora. Show it that you care. Show it that it is appreciated. Remeber, you still have yours. Think of Henri, a man separated from his Aurora. Think of how lucky you are.

Go . . . Do it Now before you forget

Where is she parked?
                   Have you seen her ?
                      Tell me have you seen her?
                         Oh I hear her roar as the cold winds blow
                                On the Street
                                    Music on the Radio.

Have you seen her?
            Tell me have you seen her?
    dtlr077 - If you want to do this it is about 1,000 for the system and another 250 or more for an installation. Find a shop that works with 304 stainless steel. If you are serious, just post an e-mail and I'll send you pictures that show the entire Corsa installation on my 98 (same as a 95). It's not that bad, but I'd have a shop do it. The pictures will help take the guess work out of it for whoever you find and you'll know what to expect. The system is awesome on the Aurora. I love it. Also recommended - the RSM throttle body and modifying the air box and using a K&N.

Hammen2 - PLEASE clarify "they asked for 8 for the 32K...."

Does this mean they wanted to see 8 oil changes for 32k of mileage???? I hope not. What if you simply follow the oil life monitor? Yikes. Just following the owner's manual will put you out of compliance with them. Who is your warranty company?????? I better call my company to find out what the deal is and get it in writing if it is not already in the language somewhere.

Just a note - I was pricing a warranty for our 01 Impala (warranty gold) and found out that it was almost as much as my Aurora warranty. "Oh - no, you got yours just in time, we raised the Aurora warranty a lot recently" They wanted over $2k for a 100,000 mile - no deductible - everything covered warranty. Wow. I paid 1,425 for the same policy a few months ago.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the new Aurora is decontented over the classic? As far as I can tell, the only thing it doesn't have is 2 lumbar bladders (it has a movable one instead) and the "power" button for the tranny. But it has PCS, rain sensing wipers, side airbags, 17" wheels, and an optional nav system.

P.S. The Collector's Edition info is up on the Olds site now.
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

My extention piece from Corsa showed up earlier this week, so I decided to put it on yesterday. I loosened up the exhaust, snugged up the resonator and the intermediate pipe, and placed the extension on to measure where to cut it. I only needed an extra inch or so just so all the pipes would overlap a bit more. So, I measured it and then began to cut. And I cut and I cut. I was using a chain/strap type exhaust cutter. Well, I cut and cut into the night, never severing the pipe. I did eventually ruin the cutter, though, and went to the auto store for another. On the way, I stopped at a local exhaust shop who informed me they can't cut stainless because it is too tough. I tried cutting the pipe more that night, eventually getting through it in about 1/3 of the pipe. My hands were sore, blistered, and depleted of strength, so I called it a night. This morning I tried again for about an hour before going to Sears to see if a) their auto center could cut it or b) they had something better. They couldn't and they didn't. So I attacked the pipe again, full of frustration and pain. I finally severed it after about 6-8 hours of rotating a cutter around it (and trying to hold the 5" piece while doing so). My whole body aches, and my hands are covered in blisters and torn skin. I still have to put it all together. It is tough to fit the once-tightened pipes back together, but I eventually do it. The tips now hang a bit lower, which looks a tad less cool but will be much easier to clean. They still are pushed a bit to the passenger side, but what can I do (I will try a pry bar eventually).

All the pain, suffering, and effort are instantly worth it with a turn of the key. No water drips from the fittings, and the sound is all from the rear. My wife and I go for a drive to experience the sound. It is noticeably reduced in regular driving. There is absolutely no little note while cruising, or even while accelerating lightly. To both of us, the car is indistiguishable from stock, and clearly quieter than before (not that it was loud). The sound is all from the rear, and it is almost too quiet when I punch it. I am totally amazed (and I've been living with this amazing exhaust for over a month already). Corsa is incredible!! The most unrestrictive exhaust you could ask for, yet it is almost too quiet!!

I gained a healthy respect for the toughness of stainless steel (I will never attempt to cut it myself again), and I also have witnessed a substantial raising of the bar for performance exhaust systems. I don't think I could ever settle for a Flowmaster or Borla system again, unless they too raise their game. Corsa is the new benchmark in exhaust performance.
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    Wow! The only things I'd ever attempt to cut stainless with are A. a torch or B. a portaband (portable bandsaw) or C. a hand grinder with carbide disk (~14.99) for the grinder good disks not included, some assembly required. Brought to you by... (I know I'm getting carried away again), the grinder works quite well if you or someone has to cut any more stainless. Just be careful where you cut the stainless at because of sparks.
    Hammen2 - please let me know who your warranty company is and if that was indeed 8 changes in 31k they wanted to see.

RJS - awesome.

Mike98c - never underestimate the determination of RJS.
    rjs200240 - The first generation trip computer was a trip computer (instead of a driver information center) because you could enter the distance to your destination as you were starting on your trip, and then the computer would give you an estimated time of arrival. Now that nav systems are available, they may have these functions, I don't know.
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    I had a 3rd party warranty with my previous car. For any repair where the failed part touched oil they demanded receipts showing all oil changes with no more than 4000 mile intervals. If you couldn't produce each and every one, they refused repair.

It didn't really bother me because I have always been meticulous about keeping receipts and changing oil every 3000-3500 miles.
    So what internal engine parts failed? My 98 Aurora generally scheduled oil changes at 3-4000 mile intervals, but long trips could result in longer intervals (I think that my trip to California took the interval up to ~6000).
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Garnes: my extended warranty company is 1SourceAutoWarranty. I have been so busy dealing with multiple work and personal issues (including a total HVAC failure on my wife's 2001 GTP (19k mi) - and having to fight Pontiac and the dealer to get them to admit there's a problem, and fix it - the dealer kept insisting nothing was wrong, and the Pontiac phone rep actually told me if I was so sure something was wrong, and that it was a safety issue (windows fogged up), I should pay for the repair myself! ) that I haven't had a chance to call them.

I will do so tomorrow and get some clarification on the oil change issue. I also need some clarifications as to why some of my repair isn't going to be covered by my "$0 deductible" exclusionary warranty (the inspector was out today - 1Source is going to cover about $1300 of the repair, but I'm still liable for about $350. For example, the dealership says that the AC compressor comes off with the engine, so they need to drain, flush and then refill the system when the repair is complete, but that's not covered - $100). Ditto with a few other misc. parts (oil manifold?, $105) and fluid refills. My dealership has my copy of the warranty, so I can't check the exclusions against the items that they aren't going to cover.

Oh well, $350 is better than $1500+, though I can't say I'm really happy with my car. My extended warranty has now paid more than 3x in repairs than I paid for it. Garnes, I can see why Warranty Gold just cranked up their extended warranty costs on Auroras - my suspicion is, as the '98's and '99's go off factory warranty, the extended warranty companies are taking a bath on these cars.

The dealer hopes to have my car back on Wednesday. With any luck, my wife's GTP will be back tomorrow (though I have more confidence in my Olds dealer than the @#@# Pontiac one, to actually fix the car).

RJS, my comment about the decontenting of the new vs. Classic Aurora was not referring to features, but the actual platform (G-body) the car is based upon. The original Aurora and Riviera were the first cars on the new lux G-body, adopted by the Seville and Park Avenue in '98. The new Aurora rides on a lower-cost derivative platform that is shared with the Bonneville and LeSabre, among others.

Remember, the new Aurora was not supposed to be an Aurora, but the 88 replacement - GM cut the budget for the new Aurora, and the 88 replacement took the Aurora's name.

Well, here's to hoping no more unscheduled repairs for a year or so. I am concerned that the warranty company is not going to be very quick in authorizing future repairs.

*sigh*

--Robert
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Greg:

I'm ready to go for the RSM throttle body. I want to get a used TB from a salvage yard (or wherever) to send in for the core charge so I can keep my original TB, just in case. I think I remember your writing that there is another piece behind the TB that can/should also be resized to 80mm. What is that called and how can I recognize/describe it? Do you have any advice before I order?
    Cool. You have to get the "mounting piece" or "plenum" that's between the TB and manifold. The TB is about 75 mm and the middle piece is 78 mm. The manifold is 80 mm. Just ask for that intermediate piece. The junk yard I used gave it to me for free when I went back asking for it. My dyno tests did not include this piece being bored out as well. It probably adds another 1.5 to 2 HP and torque at the wheels - maybe more but I think these numbers are safe. It's another $100 to do this piece. I hand sanded mine with a sanding sponge and water when I got it to better polish it smooth. If you have a hard time finding one (they are hard to get) let me know and I can give you the name of the place I used. They could probably ship it - grime and all.

Beware of the %#^* shipping charges going to Canada. They hit stuff going back and forth with crummy taxes and stuff. The shipping added up to another $50 total or so. Oh well.

Here is a link to the caddyinfo site where the TB job including the middle piece is shown with lots of pictures. The text and pictures are a little jumbled - but good enough. Let me know if you have any other questions. I thought this mod helped every bit as the air box mod and K&N - probably a bit more. For some reason it helps a lot even at much lower rpms too. The throttle response seemed a lot better.

http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/reviews/tb.htm

When you do the job just let me or Taylor know and we can answer any questions. Remember to do the TB position learn procedure - it's on the site I linked to. I think pinching the hose on the engine side that runs through the TB bottom really helped keep the job clean. Also when you are in there with everything off, it's a good opportunity to blow out the intake manifold with the TB cleaner. I shot a bunch in there - and then changed the oil a day or two later.
    Hammen2 - thanks. I do my own changes - which they said was fine as long as I kept receipts for the oil and filters and kept the log book complete. Thanks you so much guys - I was really going to go 5000+ with the M1. The oil lab said my 3000 mile M1 oil was still very much like new. I'll go 4k or less to be safe.

I think you are right about them taking a bath. These cars are just very expensive to repair. They really did not want to cover a car past 100k either. It was something stupid like $2,500/yr after 100k. I think the legend of Henry and Zinc got around.
    fjk57702 - The previous car I talked about was a 1st gen Q45. Amoung other things, I had a valve tap occur that required 2 valves and part of a cam shaft replacement. Also had a timing chain guide break (you can imagine the damage/costs on that one). Each time the warranty company demanded the oil change receipts/records before they would even send out an inspector.

Hammon2 - This same warranty company treated me the same way. Mine was a $50 deductable, but I NEVER got out of there with just 50. For instance, if the repair required some major work and the shop recommended replacing, say, 6 bolts while they were inside the engine, the warranty company made me pay for the bolts. If fixing an A/C leak required filling the A/C w/ freon to find the leak, then evacuating the system to fix it and refill, the warranty company would only pay for one "fill". It was amazing.

BTW, if they are even still in business, the warranty comnpany was WINNS. RUN - DO NOT WALK away from that company. I wound up having to take them to court and losing the use of my car for 6 months once to get them to pay according to the agreement.

....If you guys think the Aurora is expensive (and it is), try a 1st Gen Q45!!

Larry
    If warranty companies require more frequent oil changes than the oil monitor uses, this should be in the "fine print" somewhere. But, if engine failure is due to a failure to change the oil frequently enough, that should be obvious.

The extended warranty is really an insurance policy. My feeling is that if the car has been good during the factory warranty period, then it should continue to be reliable. However, the northstar engines should probably be covered by extended factory warranty if you are going to keep the car. If I could have extended my 98 Aurora's coverage another 3 years (instead of just 2), I would have probably done that. I am not sure what I will do with the Seville, I have time to decide.
    I believe the Aurora is actually based off of the Seville platform, which in turn was based off the original Aurora platform but is a bit shorter. The Bonnie and LeSabre are the ones on a lower cost version of the 'Roara platform. They aren't on the same platform as the Aurora (hence they are H-bodies, not G-bodies). I think you will find the Aurora's G-body as impressive as ever, just shorter. Actually, the Park Ave rides on a version of the original Aurora, and it seems to use that extra length in interior room. The back seats seem to have a lot more knee room than an Aurora or Seville do.
    This may not be the warranty company that is making this demand. It may be their administrator. I had the same problem with Warranty Gold when "Interstate" or some name like that was handling the warranty gold claims.

The customers at waraanty gold complained so much about them (and probably law suits), that they were fired by warranty gold.

Now I like my warranty company and they are a pleasure to deal with. So I caution you guys to call the warranty company and ask them who administered their warranty claims before you buy a policy.

Don't get burned the way I did. Why do you think it took over 6 WEEKS for my car to be repaired? At least half the time was spent arguing with the warranty admistrator about oil changes on a transmission job.
    My understanding is that all of the full size cars (LeSabre, Bonneville, DeVille, Seville, Park Avenue, and Aurora) were based on the original Aurora/Riviera platform. However, if one looks at the weights, clearly the LeSabre/Bonneville are lighter at about 3600 lbs. Seville/Deville are about 4000 lbs and the Park Avenue/Aurora are about 3800 lbs. The SSEi is heavier. So there probably are differences and the Aurora is an upgrade from LeSabre but probably not quite a Seville.
  • cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    I have the American Guardian Warranty by Warrantybynet.com. When I had my '95 in to replace the engine seals and gaskets they argued with the Olds dealer here for several days because the time they said it takes to do the job was different than the Olds dealer. They said it would take 16 hours while the dealer said 20. In order to speed up the process I consented to pay half of the 4 hours difference. I would not recommend this warranty company. The other companies I have used never argued about the labor time. I also had the input speed control repaired in the '95 with another warranty company at the time. No problems. My '97 is also needing the seals and gaskets replaced in it. I will see how this warranty company does. It is different than the one on my '95. My '95 appears to be working great, no more oil usage. It seldom ever dripped any oil in the garage. But it would use a quart about every 1000 to 1200 miles.

$40k for a new car---only one choice right now, a 2003 Aurora. I'm talking to a dealer, which is about 80 miles North of Wichita, KS, that has one which I described earlier. I haven't been able to drive up there, I'm afraid to because I know what I will be driving home if the price is right. We can always dream!!!!!!!!!
    Greg:

Thanks for the additional info and advice. One thing I do not yet understand: does RSM install a larger (80mm) throttle plate (butterfly)? If not, what is it that is enlarged from 75-76mm to 80mm? Given the taxes and shipping costs to and from Canada, would it make financial sense to try to find a competent machine shop in US to do the job?
    Yes, RSM puts a new 80mm throttle plate as well. They basically bore the middle out (machined of course) and then change out the throttle plate to match the new bore/opening. It's an exact fit. The plenum piece is hand done.

As long as they know how to disassemble and reassemble the TB, I suspect a machine shop could do it. My buddy used to work with that type of equipment - building machines. When I showed him the finished TB we joked about how he probably could have done it. However, if he screwed up (maybe there is a trick or two as to exactly where to bore it - they say they individually assess each one for what is possible. Mine was 79.5 - Taylor's was 80) then you are out a TB.
    Greg:

Thanks for both replies. Last night I went looking on eBay for a throttle body to use as a core. Couple of Cad Northstars caught my eye, but no Auroras.

One thing I found surprising is that 75mm is fairly large. The 5.0 Mustangs use 70mm.
    I think the Cadillac Northstar throttle body is the same as the Aurora. I think they are interchangeable. RSM knows for sure - I thought they advertised Aurora and Caddy TB's together. Anyway, give them a call, they will know.

If they are the same - there you go.

Yeah, 75 is big. The new VVT Northstar with the electronic throttle has a 80mm TB for better air flow, so it's kind of cool to see the GM engineers seemingly confirming what the gear head types found out.
  • ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    "....If you guys think the Aurora is expensive (and it is), try a 1st Gen Q45!!"

I'd have to disagree. I have owned a 93 Q45, a 96 Aurora, and now a 95 Q45. In 6 years and 110K miles of Q45 ownership, I had to replace a water pump and A/C compressor. In 18 months and 14K miles of Aurora ownership, I had to replace an alternator, fuel pressure regulator, A/C compressor, a wheel bearing (which is amazingly easy to change), power window switch, and several other things I'm thankfully forgetting. When I got rid of it, the traction control light was permanently on, the turn signal wouldn't blink (and no it wasn't a bulb or the flasher)and the sunroof was making terrible noises and wouldn't stop at the proper time when it was opened and closed. 90-92 Q45s have more issues, but even then it's probably a push compared to an Aurora for reliability. Late 93-95 Q45s are bulletproof. The transmission and timing chain guide issues don't exist for those cars. Any of them are a lot more fun to drive than an Aurora having owned both.
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    Sometimes I think it's a roll of the dice. At 124,000 miles, I've replaced the fuel pressure regulator, the converter, and the plug wires. I cleaned the egr valve 20,000 miles ago and that's it other than routine brake pads and tires. No one has ever accused me of not excersising the gas pedal.
    I'm afraid our experiences have been completely different.

My '92 Q45 cost MORE THAN $30,000(!!!) in service work during the 36 months that I owned it. Granted, it had 89K miles when I bought it, and it had 130K when I traded it, but DAMN! Thankfully, my warranty company and Infiniti paid for most of that. (Infiniti even paid $6000 for a trans, radiator and ECM at 94K miles, due to known defects).

While my '95 Aurora hasn't been completely trouble free, after 47K miles of Aurora ownership, I certainly wouldn't call the dollars spent on her excessive. I expect an older high performance car to have higher than average maintenance costs anyway.

And I'd agree with mike98c that it could partly depend on "the luck of the draw". I will say - after my experience with the Q - that I was much more careful about the service history when buying the Aurora, and I will be from now on when buying used cars. While the Q looked and ran great, it obviously wasn't properly serviced and I got the brunt of it, not the original owner.

I do agree with you that my '92 Q45 was much more fun to drive, though. What a great driver's car! With 3 kids and one starting college, though, I just couldn't afford it.

Larry
  • woodranch1woodranch1 Member Posts: 35
    After three times to Felix Cadillac in L.A. and rental car at my cost, my 98 Aurora continues an intermintent stall. Dealer cannot figure it out as there are no codes and it does not stall on them.

Driving me crazy. The stall occurs when cold but engine warms to about 200. Stalls once or twice at stop and then is fine. Have tried all grades of fuel to no avail.

Anybody have a similar problem? Thanks.
    I seem to remember you having this problem before, and another person found the solution to their stalling and posted the following on the problems board. Have you had that IAC valve checked?

"#600 of 686 An End To The Stalling.... by ckirkpatrick Feb 06, 2003 (6:51 pm)
    I went to get my Aurora today after waiting nearly 4 days for the dealer to fix it. The bill was $270 to replace the Neutral switch, and to remove, clean, and reinstall the IAC. The service guy said that one of the pins on the Neutral switch connector had been bent and wasn't making contact. How this affected the stalling I will probably never know - and perhaps the simple cleaning of the IAC was the cure. In any event, this Aurora owner is once again happy, and I hope anyone else with the same problem can benefit from my experiences. Thank you all for your help."
    Larry,

Wow, sounds like you had a bad experience. I've heard of people with 90-92s having some expensive repairs, but I think you may have set some kind of a record. If you're ever interested in owning another, 94-95s really are bulletproof. All the things that went wrong on the early ones were fixed. Unfortunately, they softened the cars up somewhat, and changed the seats (which were the best sedan seats I've ever sat in), but they are still a a great car and a steal for <$10K these days. I may actually be selling mine soon to get a bigger family hauler and will miss it greatly.
    Larry,

Wow, sounds like you had a bad experience. I've heard of people with 90-92s having some expensive repairs, but I think you may have set some kind of a record. If you're ever interested in owning another, 94-95s really are bulletproof. All the things that went wrong on the early ones were fixed. Unfortunately, they softened the cars up somewhat, and changed the seats (which were the best sedan seats I've ever sat in), but they are still a a great car and a steal for <$10K these days. I may actually be selling mine soon to get a bigger family hauler and will miss it greatly.
    This is the Aurora board. (smile)
  • sinatra2sinatra2 Member Posts: 65
    I agree with you Henry............. however............I do not like the Q45 LOL... but I do love my 96 Classic. Gave it the spring clean yesterday and then lit a cigar ,sat down with a good bottle of Canadian lager and admired her beautiful body style. ( by the way no cigar smoking in the classic). I was going to check the oil level as well but I couldn't find my magnifying glass to read the dipstick..........just a dig at the worst engineered part in GM history

Enjoy the spring everyone

Roger
    Greg:

I won an eBay auction for a Cad 4.6 intake (tb, manifold, fuel rail, etc). From my research all this stuff is same as Aurora, so I'll have a core for the RSM 80mm TB and mounting plate. I'll also have the opportunity to examine the intake manifold to determine if there may be performance gains possible by cleaning up the airflow passages.
  • 800wattaurora800wattaurora Member Posts: 187
    Congrats on the ebay stuff, what year/model caddy did it come off of? If your interested it going the extra mile here, I'm positive that RSM will port and polish that intake manifold. Not sure how much it would cost. I almost got a set of heads and manifold off ebay to be ported/polich by RSM, but the install costs in Chicago were through the roof!!! 25hrs(x$95hr) of labor for head swap not including the heads. Too rich for my blood.

Bad news-I asked my service buddy at my olds/caddy dealer if they could get me an autobaun package upgrade. Won't do it. He said would ask one of the techs to do it on the side for me. Nope, tech said it's too big of a job. Gotta open up tranny, dosent want to do it. No Autobaun for me.
    I dont know about it being a big job. I know a guy that did the upgrade and installed the autobahn on his 1995. If you in New Jersey, I can tell you where to go.

Henri
    Point well taken. Enough of that (Q) stuff.

SO. Just got the Aurora back from the body shop after a parking lot fender blender (on the new, 6 week old paint !#@%!!).

See's looking great and driving like a dream. Now if I can just get that oil leak stopped...
    800 watt:

1996 Eldorado. I am curious that RSM does not show a ported intake manifold on their website since they do the heads and throttle bodies. I figure to see if I can port one myself; like you, I cannot aford the cost of the heads plus installation.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421

Join us tonight, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for another
    round of automotive trivia and member-to-member chat.
    Test your skills (or multiple choice guessing ability)
    against other Town Hall members.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

Hope to see you there!
    You had not posted in sooooo long. I thought you had retired. (smile)
    Great. I hope you also got the piece between the TB and the manifold. Sounds like you would - you got everything else.

That manifold is some sort of plastic and I thought it was pretty smooth to begin with. Maybe not. Please let us know what you find out/determine.

Hey after the intake, even if you don't do a Corsa, you could probably realize some great gains by replacing the exhaust with 2.5 inch pipe even if it's aluminized regular stuff) and doing the mufflers that larryfl did (dynomax??). I'll bet that set-up would perform extremely well.

Good luck.
    Well, I got a recall notice for my 'Roara. It is a small thing about having the PCM reprogrammed. It affects all 2002 and some 2003's. Some possible misfire or something, probably when the car first starts. I've noticed that during the 20 sec emissions warm up thing. I just figured it was normal.