Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    I test drove a buick centry while I was car shoping. It was the most uncomfortable car I have ever been in. Those seats were actually painful to sit in. Maybe it was jsut me, so if you do drive one, lemme know what you thought of the seats.
  • Options
    copychickcopychick Member Posts: 62
    I don't think I'll bother testing the Century. Last thing I need is a painful front seat!

My hubby seems to be on board with me getting the Impala. Now I've just gotta figure out when I can get to the dealer. Hate doing these deals at night (after work) because the lending institutions are usually closed and there's always that business of having to wait to see if you'll get the good % rate for the financing. Plus, the Chevy dealer claims they will buy out the last 2 months of my Saturn lease, even though it is not a GMAC lease (it was a special Chase thing they had going back then). I have to see it to believe it, but he seems pretty convinced they will eat the 2 months in order to sell me the Impala.

Hunter the Regal Blue looks great, but I've had 2 dark colored cars in a row, so I'm ready for something lighter. Strongly considering the Sandrift Metallic, although I also like the Galaxy Silver.
  • Options
    vblstudvblstud Member Posts: 28
    I wanted to see what all your guys and gals have done to modify your cars. I was wondering about exhaust and different engine parts as well as rims and kits. Just curious what everyone has done.

Thx

Rob

P.S. I will be posting some pictures in a few days of my Black 2002 LS that I havent modified yet.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    The headrest bothers me also. I am very tall and the top of my shoulder hits the bottom of the square headrest.
    I fixed that by rocking the seatback one notch.
    If i sit up straight I can feel it, but in my normal seating position with my head tiltled slightly forward i don't know that it is there. The engine is a personal choice. The 3.4L is ever so slightly smoother(60 degree design vs. 3.8L's 90 degree).
    I drove the 3.4L and found it pretty good in the acceleration department.
    The 3.8L has a little more toque and a deeper final drive gearing, so it gets off the line better.
    I think you will like the car. I have enjoyed mine. It has been more reliable than my intrigue.
    First new GM car where I didn't have to go to the dealer until it had 16,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Hi guys (and gal)
    I just got back from the Bay Area. One full gas of tank, I drove 412 miles before refueling (with 2 gallons remaining in the tank). I averaged 28 mpg on the trip back. Not bad for a big 3.8 liter engine.

This is my first long road trip in my Impala. The Impala is definitely awesome on long road trips. The vehicle easily maneuvers in and out of the highway lanes with adequate horsepower/torque. At certain point, I was driving 90-100 mph for several miles. The Impala handled like a champ!

Speaking of seats and headrest, I had absolutely no problem. No aches or pains after 6 hours of driving. The driver seat was so comfortable. It fits me like a glove. I'm glad I bought leather seats though.

Dang! I can't believe Lutz made the idiotic decision to non-standardized ABS and driver side airbag! I think the reason why we all bought the Impala LS was because of the "more bang for the buck" syndrome and the safety features.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Thinks like deleting coinholders and low coolant sensors may force me into a Mazda 6 or Maxima instead of an Impala. How much money will GM have saved if many other customers make the same decision? Hmmmmm.

In fact, I would like to see automatic climate control available, at least as an option.
  • Options
    And rear seat HVAC vent. My intrigue had them, why can't the impala.
  • Options
    jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    Not to shortchange the Impala...I love the car, but I have driven some Centuries and felt the seats were very comfortable. The longest drive I had with one was 4 hours each way, and it was comfortable the entire trip.

I imagine different size people like different seats. I am short (5'8) and thin (155#), but I still found the cushy buick seats very comfortable. Try the Century...a lot of car for the money and a great highway cruiser.

That said, the Impala rides almost as well and as quiet. Overall, I'd pick the Impala.
  • Options
    cyyzcyyz Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2001 base Impala with the 3.8L engine and have about 63000km. The car is 15 months old and I have had relatively few problems save for the rotors. Personally, I prefer the base to the LS. My main reason is that I like the 6 passenger seating that you cannot get in the LS and although being a bench seat, I find it still comfortable on long drives. If you prefer, you can get the buckets with console as an option. I also don't like the spoiler(which can be a delete option on LS) or the LS rims.

If you like the 3.8L engine, it comes as a pkg including ABS, traction control, tire inflation monitor, touring suspension, 16" aluminum wheels, and Goodyear Eagle GA tires. The tire size on the base engine is identical except the car wears Uniroyal Tigerpaws. The base suspension is softer so be sure to test both on roads similar to what you normally drive on to see if you like the ride.You MUST order the 1SB (or better) pkg in order to order the engine upgrade. FYI, the 1SB includes overhead console, reading lights, heated mirrors, keyless entry, cruise control, and illuminated visor mirrors.

I also upgraded to the custom cloth interior which adds nicer cloth, 60/40 split rear seat, driver's 6-way pwr seat, and driver side-impact air bag.

You can order the ABS without the big engine if you like. Fuel economy is excellent for both motors. Canada EPA is 43mpg hwy for the 3.4L and 22/38mpg city/hwy for the 3.8L. Keep in mind we calculate gallons differently than the US - I believe US folks are seeing around 32mpg on the hwy. However, real world driving combined, I average around 600km per tank with a fully loaded trunk all the time. Sustained hwy driving netted around 800km. The 3.4L also earns a Canada EPA Award sipping fuel for an average cost of around $950-990 per year (can't remember the exact figure)based on avg distance (I assume 23K-25K km/year).

Reliability has been excellent. Rotors were a main contention as they seemed to keep needing to be turned. Finally had them replaced at about 48K but now the pulsating has just started to return. Why? I don't know. I have been diligent on having my calipers serviced and am not hard on my brakes - I still have a lot of life on my pads. The dealer claims that the aluminum rims must be hand torqued and as far as I have known, they have been. Other issues have been an outer tie rod (right side) had a bit of play, and the radio had a sticky am/fm button. Both were replaced under warranty. I find the car quite nimble in traffic. Although being a large car, I find little trouble manouvering around town, but looking out the back window reversing can be a bit tricky for some. Personally, I push up out of the seat with my left foot on the floor and then have no trouble backing up as I use the trunk lid as a reference for distance.

I believe the major changes in the 2002 lineup was dual a/c and pollen filter became standard, maybe some others but nothing major.

Overall, I love my car. It is comfortable, quick when you need it to be, quiet, and enjoyable to drive and would choose it again if I were to go back. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    My 2-cents worth; I've got a 2000 base w/3.8 engine that I ordered back in Jan. 2000 (took delivery in March 2000). At the time I wanted the 3.8 engine, but also wanted the front bench, which could only be achieved by getting the base model. Today, I'd probably order the LS with the bench seat, which I believe is an option.

I think my loaded base (with all options except leather and on-star) was about $1,000 less than a comparable LS would have been, but I didn't get fog lights, sport wheels, rear wing, and a tach (as well as some other LS-distinguishing features).

If primary concern is fuel economy, the 3.4 base might not be a bad way to go. But you do get ABS, traction control, and the tire monitor by going to the 3.8 engine (plus stiffer suspension, better tires, etc.), which made it worth the difference to me. Plus, the 3.8 engine has a long, successful history - haven't heard anything bad about the 3.4, but I've known many people who have had 3.8s that have had good service out of them.
  • Options
    dmullinsdmullins Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2000 LS with 47000 miles. When I park the car in the garage I notice a smell of antifreeze. I do not see anthing leaking anywhere, but I do notice a weird corrosion on the large pulley that drives the serpentine belt. I guess this is near the overflow bottle for the radiator. Any ideas how I could find a leak if there is one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    Wow, you've all been great addressing my questions--thanks!

cyyz, it's good to know I can get the base model with a lot of the nifty stuff the LS has. Maybe I'll get the standard with that 1SB package. If I take the 3.4 though, do you think I could get the ABS AND the traction control (those aren't the same thing, right?) or is it just the ABS I can get with the base?

I'm still trying to figure out whether I really NEED the 3.8. Let's just say I don't fit the stereotype that many hold for women drivers and would enjoy having enough power to pass relatively quickly. My DH thinks I need the 3.8, but that's only because he has to buy out his Saturn lease and live with a little car and my car will become our famly vehicle on weekends (meaning, he gets to drive it:)

nosirrahg, I'm not sure if the bench is an option with the LS in 2002. Amazingly, I too prefer the split bench vs the bucket seats. If I get the base model, I will definitely get the comfort package as I must have the power driver's seat. Being able to move the seat up and down is key to my being comfortable--what a nifty invention!

I wonder if the dealers have a lot of 3.4s on the lot, because the one near me seemed in an awfully big hurry to push me towards the base instead of the LS. Makes me wonder if the resale value on the 3.4s would be less than desirable (not that I'm planning to unload my car for many years).
  • Options
    If you happen to be in Southern California and wouldn't mind a pre-own 2000 Galaxy Silver Impala LS with 18K miles, I'm looking to sell mine.

I love my Impala but been drooling over the new Infiniti G35.

Just a thought....
  • Options
    ctheusactheusa Member Posts: 5
    about the Impala vs. Saturn SL2 has made me come out of lurking mode. Right now I'm driving both my daughter's SL2 and a 2001 base Impala. While I love zipping around town in the Saturn (it's so easy to park), on a gruesome commute like yours, I'd feel a lot safer in the Impala, either one, depending on what options you're looking for. Our 3.4 base Imp is one year old tomorrow and has over 27,000 miles on it, mostly due to long highway cruising. My husband and I have driven it from our home in Michigan to Fairbanks, Alaska and later to Miami. I've also driven to New Jersey and back by myself a couple of times, a 10 hour trip, with no real complaints about fatigue/discomfort. The gas mileage on the latest trip was 34.5 mpg, that was at 70-75mph and running the air some of the time!! The same trip in the Saturn, the mileage was 39.5 mpg, so for the size and room of the Impala, you're not giving up that much in fuel economy. I'm not a very aggressive driver, but do like the car to go when I step on the gas, and the 3.4l has not disappointed. The only problem that we've had to take it to the dealer for was a body control module that quit locking the doors automatically at around 17,000 miles, easily replaced, that's it. I'm extremely pleased with this car and don't feel intimidated at all by SUVs, especially not Yukon Denalis-- my family sedan has actually been to those places!
  • Options
    That's great that you are able to offer a first-hand comparison of the SL2 and 3.4 Impala base. Your description of how the two compare is priceless--so I thank you very, very much!

If your base Impala survived NJ and you didn't feel as if you were about to be run off the road by all the aggressive nutcases here (I'm from northern NJ) then I'm feeling much, much better about that 3.4.

Also, regarding fuel economy, I know the 3.4 is a tad better on gas, so that's another argument in favor.

As for the SL2, you're right--it's a zippy little car and a dream to parallel park. I had a '92 SL1 before that (gave us 7 good years, with only a few headaches) and the difference having the bigger engine in the SL2 is HUGE.

hvan3, thanks for the offer, but I'm nowhere near So. Cal.
  • Options
    I believe there is a known problem, and a GM-issued TSB, regarding the fitment of the cap on the coolant reservoir. Apparently, either the neck of the reservoir, or the cap itself, has rough spots that prevent it from closing properly.

That may lead to some leakage of coolant vapor, which will smell, but not drip on the ground. Or, the liquid is hitting the belt, and doesn't make it to the ground.

See your dealer. They'll know about the TSB.
  • Options
    He is checking to see if they can order me a separate base-model headrest that I would buy in addition to the LS (that way I could put the LS one back on at resale).

He told me the LS I test drove is available for purchase, but it has 2800 miles on it. How much do you think I can negotiate off the price with a demo model that has those kinds of miles on it?

He said they may not have any base models with the 3.8 package available on the lot. Also, traction control only comes with the LS (sigh).

So I'm sitting here by the phone, hoping he can come up with that headrest (and hoping I can come up with the $$ for an LS).
  • Options
    Sorry to be such a pest, but you've all been really helpful.

Dealer says they can get me a separate headrest from the base and I can get an LS. But, all he's got on the lot are leather seats, which I can't afford (he claims this'll run me 26K or 27K).

The only cloth seat LS in stock is the demo model he drives to and from work (he lives 1 town away). It's 4 months old, has 2800 miles, and is ready for its first oil change.

How much do you think I can get him to lower the price to accommodate for the 4 months of mileage? Does this sound like a good idea or should I just wait a month and see if any other cloth LSs come in?
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    Glad to hear you are on your way to be a proud Impala owner.

A fellow poster made the comment of ordering one to suit you and what you WANT.

If you can live with the 3K on the demo AND get a fair price, I would consider that, but the option of getting the car exactly as you want should be in your mind, and they should be willing to order directly from the factory.

I was up against the same options when I bought the LS. They had a black/tan leather demo w/ 2K miles but it had the hole in the roof... NOPE. They were going to make a really good deal, but I opted for brand new and what I wanted.

Ask about the order and watch them come WAY DOWN on price of that Demo....

good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    You are the voice of reason. I am not going to let them talk me into what I don't want.

But, I just hope they don't tell me that the special incentive deal is only for cars in stock.

Oh well, I'm leaving in 5 min to head over there.

Maybe I can get them to come down in price on the leather seats--who knows?
  • Options
    I really can't address current prices, since I bought mine 2 years ago - but I know locally (Arkansas) there's a dealer offering double rebates ($4,000) off list price on new Impalas.

As for the traction control, I'm pretty sure you CAN get is on a base model, IF you get the 3.8liter engine. I know you could for the 2000 model, because that's what I've got; I feel pretty confident the situation is the same now.

If you can wait, you should consider ordering exactly what you want - I got what I considered a pretty good deal at the time by ordering mine; then again, if you go to GMbuypower.com you can "build" what you want and search dealer lots for matches - with current rebates you might find what you want close enough to where you live to make it worth a trip somewhere.

As for bench seats; I wanted the option of seating six, but found the added bonus of more leg room and ease of sliding through from one side to the other - our garage is very snug, so my wife can slide across the bench seat from the driver's side with no problem; have also used it to get out on the passenger side when parked on a busy street - makes me feel like I'm in an old movie from the '50's or something though.
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    $26-27k looks as very high price for Impala, even loaded LS. The Edmunds TMV prices are available here:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/chevrolet/impala/ls4drsedan38l6cyl4a/options.html?id=lin0727

Look for the button "Price with options" for your zip code. Than substract the current rebates $2,500(?), and add sale taxes, registration, etc.

However, sometimes it is better to take GMAC financing, than rebates. Like 0% for 5 years, if available. In this case the price is reasonable.

By the way, Buick Century / Regal, Pontiac Gran Prix, and to somewhat less extent Olds Intrigue are basically the same cars as Impala.

I see often very low prices for Regal LS, advertised in local newspapers; I live in CT, and the NJ prices must be not so different. Oldsmobile dealers are closing business, and their prices must be low too.
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    You can get ABS, traction control and the tire inflation monitor on a base unit. Actually, you can get almost anything on a base unit. Things you cannot are: Tach, foglamps, floor console shifter, heated rearview mirrors, spoiler, sport package, sport or diamond rims, and sport cloth interior.
  • Options
    There is a saying in the car business, "You don't sell the customer what they want. You sell them what you have." The first dealer didn't have a black LS without a sunroof. I told them I had no problems with ordering one and the response I got back was to the effect, "Well, you COULD do that, but we've always had problems doing that." Hey, that's their problem, not mine. I got my car from a different dealer. Had to wait a while, but got everything I wanted. Well, almost everything. I was told at the time the car wouldn't take a CD changer with a CD/tape head unit.
  • Options
    I hope you haven't left for the dealership.
    printout the edmund's invoice cost before you go.
    If you are armed with the info before you sit down with the salesman you are in a good position.

You should be able to get that car for at least 4K off of sticker.

My LS stickered for $25,505 and I paid $21,087 for it. About $4500 off.

This was from a $98.00 over invoice dealer.

If you don't have one of those in your neighborhood You should be able to get the car for between $300-500 over invoice. If not go somewhere else.

A LS without sunroof, but with everything else is about $26.6K
    You should be able to get that car in the mid 22K range.
  • Options
    It might be the same problem that I had.
    The upper manifold base was warped.
    Evidently this is a common problem. As they had the part in stock and it was fixed in 4 hours without an appointment.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the advice on purchase price, etc. I went in well armed with Edmunds' TMV info and with the dealer incentive, did very well. Ended up buying the Sandrift metallic LS demo and getting the dealer to knock off an extra $500 to accommodate for mileage.

I took turns sitting in a base model and the LS and comparing headrests again. After playing with the donut one in the LS, I found a position that seemed comparable to the solid base headrest (2 notches up), so I ended up not needing a different headrest after all.

At first, I was dubious about buying the demo. The dealer went on the computer and there truly were no other LSs without leather seats and without sunroofs in the area to be had for the next few weeks (at least that's what he claims, and I viewed the computer over his shoulder just in case). He claimed that the dealership would not be getting anymore 2002 Impalas in at this point (again, not sure if this is true). But, I wanted to be sure to get the $2K cash back and since his demo had everything I wanted, and nothing I didn't want, I figured what the heck, I might as well save a few extra dollars. Plus, my Saturn has been driving a little funny the past few days (the tires are bald and the rear brakes are going for starters), so I'd just as soon unload it.

I'm picking it up tomorrow--they need a day to get it ready, change the oil, etc. I checked that car from head to toe and there wasn't a scratch on it, which is cool.

Ooh! I'm so psyched! Exhausted but psyched.
  • Options
    I don't know the exact schedule, but sometime mid-summer Oshawa will stop building 2002 model Impalas, and take a few weeks off to switch over to the 2003 models. I suspect if you tried to order a new Impala at this point, it would probably end up being a 2003 model.
  • Options
    Wow, maybe the dealer was telling the truth! Stranger things have happened;)
  • Options
    I hope you got a great deal on a pre-own Impala LS. Base on what I"m hearing, you got $2K cash back and an extra $500 off? You can buy a fairly loaded LS (brand new) for $22.5K.

Since it's a demo, you should be paying no more than $19.5K for it. That is only about $6K off for a depreciated vehicle.

2002 Impala production ends in May or June. That doesn't mean GM has NO inventory in stock. I'm very confident that if you request the dealer to locate what you want, he can get it for you. From what I'm hearing, he was looking to unload his pre-own Impala to you. If so, negotiate the selling price to at least $19.5K.

I drive a hard bargain because my profession is in procurement.
  • Options
    EXCEPT:

*A never titled vehicle still owned by the dealer can still be sold as new in most states...

*Demos are normally still eligible for incentives...

*Customers usually can negotiate down a demo's price significantly, it is not just the miles, it is also HOW it was driven during demo drives.
  • Options
    But John is right--the demo is still considered new, at least in my state. So, it is not considered buying a "pre-owned" or "used" car, because it was never owned by anyone but the dealer. As such, I wouldn't have been able to get it down $6K. Also, unlike a pre-owned, I still got the incentive off.

Yes, the dealer could have looked for the car with fewer miles on it, but the demo had exactly what I wanted on it and remember, I got them to buy out my lease 2 months early (and it was not a GMAC lease) on a car that has a couple of things going on it (brakes and tires--and yes I could most definitely feel it driving in rain) and the incentive in my area is only for another 13 days.
  • Options
    There is not a dealer in America that would sell
    2800 mile demo LS for 19.5K.
    It sounds like copychick did fairly well as she had the TMV with her and she got the $2000 rebate. It sounds like she got about $4500 off which is good, AND she got the car she wanted. Which is more important.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your impala.

Buying a car is truly a stressful experience.
  • Options
    Ove 4100 Impalas were produced last week. Don't know when they will stopping for the changeover.
  • Options
    I also doubt any dealer would sell a demo for that price. Including the rebate, I'm getting mine for a little over 21K. I think that's darn good.

b4z you are so right--buying a car is intensely stressful. I was so sure the dealer was going to pull a fast one on me sometime during the process (and still could this evening when I pick it up) that I must have come off very paranoid. At one point, the sales manager asked me, "Did you have a bad experience somewhere else? You seem a bit on edge." LOL!

Well, I am so excited I didn't sleep much last night. Not sure how I'll make it through the day!
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    I am happy it all worked out well for you and I think you did a heck of a job at the bargaining table.

You will enjoy the ride tremendously.

Make sure you look the ride over thouroughly before taking final delivery.

All the usual stuff: spare tire/jack, cargo net for trunk, OnStar ant., Owner manual, fluids topped off, steering wheel :)

Welcome aboard.
  • Options
    dmullinsdmullins Member Posts: 30
    Is there any way of doing what is called for in the coolant recovery bottle cap TSB myself without bringing it to the dealer. I would like to try this since I am out of warranty. Thanks.
  • Options
    To me, a demo is considered "used" regardless whether the dealer still owns it. Demos can be use in variety of ways....employee of the month, a car loaner program for those who take their Malibus, Silverados in for service, Sales/Service Managers usage, people taking Impala for a test drive, and etc.

As to whether copychick can get it down to $19.5K, that depends on how hard she negotiates. I believe she can do it! The odds are in her favor....her Saturn trade in, manufacturer $2000 cash rebate, depreciated asset with nearly 3K miles on it, recession, an eager customer who is willing to buy the demo, and etc.

As for me, I drive a hard bargain. I strongly believe that I can get a brand new 2002 Impala LS for around $22.5K with $2000 manufacturer cash rebate and $1.5K off dealer price.

The truth is, as long as copychick is happy with her "new" Impala, that's all that matters. Anyhow, welcome aboard copychick! It's good to have a fresh member on this board.

Peace!
  • Options
    Amazing. Truly amazing.
  • Options
    Thanks for reminding me to check all that stuff. In the "heat of passion" one could easily forget. I've written down your little list and will bring it to the dealer.

The demo was used as the to and from home to work transportation of my salesman and as his test drive vehicle. Since I know what town he is from and the mileage it takes to get to and from the dealer, the 2800 in 4 months is a logical outcome. The loaner cars they use for those getting serviced there have "Loaner Car" and the name of the dealership painted on them in huge red letters, so I kind of doubt mine was used for that.

hvan3 thanks for having faith in me to be able to negotiate such a low price. I'm done negotiating though (I take ownership in approximately 90 minutes!) and happy with the price I got.
  • Options
    Hey, don't forget the change holder. Always seems to be missing from a lot of cars. Maybe because the silly thing keeps falling off.
  • Options
    curtis20curtis20 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

I have been searching for a "sporty" family sedan and really like the looks of the Impala.

A local dealer had 5 2002 program cars on the lot (The base model with the 3.8 Liter engine upgrade). Most had between 4,500 miles and 11,500 miles on them.

Several had scratchs on them or were dented. In addition, when I test drove the one with only 4500 miles the brakes were terrible. The brakes pulsated and the car shook as the car came to a stop. The salesman immediately said he needed to take the car to the shop to be looked at. Also had the dealer pull a carfax report on the vehicle and the radiator assembly had been replaced at 1600 miles. (Did not get a warm/fuzzy feeling about this particular program car).

I have researched the issue and found that many of the GM cars do have brake problems, especially warped rotors after very few miles. (Some possible causes are tightening the lug nuts to tight when tires are rotated and also another one is that the rear disc brakes are not self adjusting to properly stop the car therefore the front brakes are doing all the work and the rotors get extremely hot and crack and warp prematurely) Another opinion is that GM uses cheap rotors that do not dissipate the heat properly.

I have seen many people complain that GM is not addressing the problem adequately in that the dealers blame the driving habits of the owner and simply turn the rotors to temporarily "fix" the problem. However, by turning the rotors the problem becomes worse in that the rotors are now thinner and will warp more easily in the future.

Has anyone had any problems with their Impala's brakes as far as warped rotors are concerned. If so, after how many miles did the problem occur?

I like the car (Size and look and also the reliability of the 3.8 liter engine), but am concerned about the braking system. Consumer reports rates the Impala very good, even the brakes, while the edmunds review was not as positive.

Any Comments???
  • Options
    I have the greatest of respect for Edmunds. That being said, I think the Impala review is about the most ridiculous pile of rubbish I have ever seen. I got 60,000 miles on my rotors before turning them. 25,000 more before replacing them. I had NO problems with the brakes, or anything else for that matter.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!
  • Options
    I just got home with my new Impala an hour ago! Right before leaving (after I'd checked for just about everything), I opened the storage compartment in the arm rest to put away some change--no coin holder! Apparently, they'd never put it in. The salesman promptly got one from inside and all is well.

It was a smooth, but scary ride home from the dealership. My husband, who had never seen the car, thinks it's great, although he isn't nuts about the color I picked (Sandrift Metallic). If it had been up to him, he would have gotten black, but I'm done with dark colored cars for the time being.

curtis20, I honestly hope you are wrong about the brake problems being common in these cars. FWIW, I had bigtime brake problems on a Honda Accord I owned awhile back, and everyone I knew with that year Accord had the same problem. Yet I doubt anyone would be able to say that all Hondas have bad brakes. Perhaps this is very much a YMMV type of thing.
  • Options
    pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    The rest is advertising hype.
  • Options
    Most manufacturer's use cheap rotors now.
    I had mine turned at 20K.
    I wouldn't let that deter you from buying the car.
  • Options
    drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    "curtis20, I honestly hope you are wrong about the brake problems being common in these cars. FWIW, I had bigtime brake problems on a Honda Accord I owned awhile back, and everyone I knew with that year Accord had the same problem. Yet I doubt anyone would be able to say that all Hondas have bad brakes. Perhaps this is very much a YMMV type of thing."

First of all, congratulations on your new car, you have made a terrific choice!

Yes indeed, Honda Accords are notorious for premature brake wear and other brake related hassles. The 1998+ models (Current generation) have the worst quality brakes of any past generation Accord model. Have family acquintances that have abandoned the Accord and Honda products in general due to the poor quality and durability of the braking system, in despite of proper maintenance practices and normal driving behavior. I have heard other Honda products, including Acuras, have also reported brake reliability issues.

Enjoy your car. The Sandrift Metallic is a nice color, very easy to keep clean and when freshly washed/waxed the car looks very elegant.

Dark colors are very nice as well, but they are a pain in the butt to keep clean. Small scratches, etc are visible from miles away whereas light colored cars such are yours will hide them much better from view.
  • Options
    that my parents would wake up and smell the coffee when it comes to Hondas. In my family, it is a sacrilege to buy anything but a Honda or Toyota. MAYBE a Nissan will pass muster with my dad, but that's even pushing it.

My kid sister and I just both bought American competitors to my dad's beloved Accord (she got a Sable). I'd just LOVE to prove him wrong about American cars.
  • Options
    I bought my Impala a little over two years ago, and with a negotiated rate and a GM Card rebate, I paid slightly over $19K for a loaded base model (all options except leather seats and On-Star -even got the engine block heater!!).

Sure, for the same money, I could have probably gotten a Camry LE. Would it have had power seats, sunroof, 200hp V6, steering wheel radio controls, etc? Probably not. Would it have seated six; no. Would I feel as safe in it as I do in my Impala; no. Would I still be posting on the "2000 Camry" board at Edmunds; probably not. Would I have been quoted in the 2001 Camry brochure; doubtful! ;-)

Sure, the Camry would get better gas mileage (4-cylinder), and will probably have better resale. Then again, I'll probably drive the car for 10 years/120k miles, so resale really doesn't matter. Both cars (if cared for properly) will run well beyond 120k miles, so in many ways it's a moot point.

I can't guarantee you'll prove your dad wrong with your Impala, but I do think you stand a better chance than your sister will with her Sable!