Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    What do you all think about an Impala wagon or convertible based on the current design?

Driving back home from the office yesterday, I saw a very nice and well kept early to mid 1990's Oldsmobile Cuttlass Supreme convertible. I always remember liking that particular model. One of the best looking W-body spinoffs ever sold by Olds at the time and much bolder and better looking than the 'Saturnish' looking Intrigue sedan.
  • frankb7frankb7 Member Posts: 18
    Teo,

Thanks for the reply. The base I am pricing has On star as part of the Equipment package #2. Also has the Radio I/Cassette and DC, plus all the other possible options, minus moonroof, and power passenger seat. MSRP = $24,701; Invoice = $22,533. If I multiply the Invoice I 3% ($675.99), as you suggested, I get a fair price' of $23,209.

As I mentioned, the two prices I got were $22,800 if ordered, and $23,300, if taken from another dealer lot. According to these calculations, even the $23,300 is only $100 over the fair price' calculation you suggested.

Oh well. Don't have the patience to wait 6-8 weeks if I know they can get me the car I want from another dealer, so I will probably try to get the existing car, minus a hundred or so off the $22.3K.

Do you know what build date' I should look for?

Thanks

Frank
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    recieved no comment that I recall, Teo. Probably too many boxes on wheels (mini vans) for wagons to make a come back. On the flip side tho, some small car wagons are popping up.

We prolly will be installing Michelin tires on our 2k Impala LS in May. I'm telling the wife that they will be a 28th wedding anniversary gift. I am sure the 28th gift is "tires"........LOL

We are at 35.5k miles now. That 36k mile warranty is about gone. If the cradle mount popping comes back it is due around 37k miles. Hopefully the shim material TSB program took care of this annoying problem.

Our hiway patrol here in metro Phoenix are using a plain white unmarked Impala now. It does have a spoiler on it. I noticed this past week that the spoiler blocks the flashing lights in the rear window some what. Besides the blue and red lights they have the flahing yellow lights that tell you to past on the right or left. THe spoiler blocks those lights quite well.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Yesterday I saw a DPS undercover car on the 101 up in the Arrowhead ranch area, Dark mettalic blue mid 90's Thunderbird... catching those people who insist on going 75-80 on a freeway that just got raised to 65, some people can't go fast enough I guess...

Kim at Hutton called back regarding the extension plug, cartridge and mounting hardware for the cd changer, she said she thought it all came with it but will have to find out why I didn't get it. More to follow next week
    Try to pick a new Impala with a build date after 10/00 (Look inside the driver's door jamb to locate the build date sticker). The more recent the build date, the better.

Good luck.

PS $23K then should be a good price but try to haggle them down to $22.5K and see what happens.
  • kenbuzzkenbuzz Member Posts: 99
    You wrote: "Kim at Hutton called back regarding the extension plug, cartridge and mounting hardware for the cd changer, she said she thought it all came with it but will have to find out why I didn't get it. More to follow next week "

I'm curious about the "extension plug" you mentioned. Is that something Kim said, or is that maybe just another way of saying "wiring harness?" :)

The reason why I'm asking is because that's the first time I've heard that phrase, and I'm wondering if it might *possibly* be a missing piece to the "why won't this CD Changer work with the wiring harness" puzzle?
    I've seen several after-market sunroof air deflectors being offered at various online e-tailers, and am wondering whether I might want one for my (still on order) LS.

Has anyone installed one, and what difference did it make? (Could you drive in the rain without getting wet? Did it stop your wig from flying off?) Also, did you install it yourself or have a shop do it? And last, to attach one, do you have to drill anything through the roof or does it pretty much just "glue" on? :)
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    And the snow is gone. The City has swept the streets. Leaves on the trees are not out yet but Tulip Festival is only three weeks away. Rain tonight to flush away the salt. Corvette comes out of storage for next weekend. Was tempted to try the A/C on the Impala today but that would be really pushing things. BTW, anyone know at what temperature it is set for kick-in? The barbecue is out of storage and the t-bones are in the fridge. I survived another winter so all is well with the world! Yes, that is a Bonnevillle SSE with 3.8L/Supercharger next door. I was thinking....No, I am beyond boulevard racing.

• night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Sorry for not commenting on this earlier. Just got back from Washington state. On the TSB and News page, there is an explanation on how the oil life monitor works. Got it straight from GM.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

• night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    It does take a while for the headlights to turn off/on. I never timed it, but my guess is that the delay is built in so that you wouldn't have the headlights flicking on and off as you pass under trees during the day or under streetlights at night.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Lets see....if you ordered a fully loaded base Impala that cost $22,800 vs. $23,300 that is sitting on the dealer lot with the same options, then I would suggest you find out how long the fully loaded base Impala has been sitting in the dealers lot. This is a very critical piece of information in your negotiation.

For the same negotiated price of an LS at $23K, most people would prefer to buy the LS rather then the fully loaded base Impala. Therefore, you have the upper hand in the negotiation. In your case, special equipped vehicles seldomly flies out the dealers lot.

Since your special order Impala cost $22,800 from the factory, then I would offer the competing dealer an offer at $22,500 (no more, no less!). If the vehicle has been sitting in the dealer lot for over 2 months, then the car is price to sell! The dealer has MORE to lose if you walk away from his lot.

Just my "professional" opinion.
    Last week, I had my rear spoiler installed. Today, I had my windows tinted. Looks so cool with black windows on Galaxy Silver. My next project is "possibly" have an aftermarket moonroof installed. I can't decide whether I want to fork over $1K for the installation. Ugh.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    Tell me more about the tinting... do you have pics? Where did you have them done?

Thanks!

RR
    I have a suggestion re: the displayed time for the posts... a simple CST, PST, EST, would suffice. Just to give everyone a better idea of when the posts are posted...relative to their time zone.

Thanks!

RR
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    are always Pacific time.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Ah, I understand now...the answer is "Neither" :)

So if you're using a synthetic, I suppose you should pretty much ignore the Change Oil light, using it only perhaps as a "half-way there" checkpoint? Too bad you can't tell the car you're using a different kind of oil, I like the idea of changing things only when they need changing. :)

PS - I read the bit about the new door water deflector. If you can provide some more specifics about what to look for, I can let you know if GM installed it on my 05/01 LS.
    Last weekend, while taking a different route through my neighborhood, I spotted a Bronzemist base model Impala. It looked really clean, but the color was a lot darker than I was expecting. I dunno, maybe I thought it was going to look more like a coffee-with-cream color, but this was a couple of shades darker than milk chocolate (sorry for all the food references, I've not had lunch yet!)

Though the color is supposedly metallic, in that lighting (an hour before sunset), it looked brown. Just brown. While I'm sure it might look better in direct light, it's a little too dark and a little too 'ordinary' for my tastes.

I'm glad I went for the Sandrift, although everytime I see Galaxy Silver I get a brief pang of envy. If the Silver Impalas had a leather option other than grey, I might have gone that way, but grey leather interiors have always looked a little less luxurious to me than other colors. Personal preference, of course.

Oh, I've also recently noted a Base Sandrift spending time in my parking lot at work. It belongs to a retired Navy Captain. He's really proud of his Impala, but he'll probably be heartbroken the first time I "one-up" him by parking my loaded Sandrift LS next to his. :)
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    DPS has used that T-bird for a while. I see it often on the US60 out on my side of the valley.

Lots of good deals on autos & trucks now. We were going to sell our 2k Shakerado 1500 but with the current prices and finance promos it is nearly cheaper to buy a new truck than a used one.

Hopefully the ppl will come up with your parts for the CD changer that you purchased. If an item is for a specific application all of the parts should come with it for an install.

I am curious if the 2002 Impala will have a better offering of CD / radio. And mayb the OnStar will be an option instead of included on the LS.

Tony
  • talenthuntertalenthunter Member Posts: 7
    They give a pretty good story here at Edmunds about how you ought to go about buying a new car. So then you go out into the battlefield to put theory into practice but you find that dealers do a pretty good job of nullifying what Edmunds preaches. We have been talking to dealers here in So. California about the Impala LS and we find that nobody will admit to Edmunds published Dealer Cashback ($1K) and the definition of invoice gets muddied with the infamous advertising charge. So I have two questions: (1)Has anyone out there found the dealer cashback on Impala since April of this year; and (2) has anyone ever seen an honest to goodness invoice from Chevrolet Division to a dealer that has a line item for advertising cost. Since we seem to be arguing about a few hundred bucks in these negotiations I think it is important to get the advertising cost put to bed. Is it or is it not included on the invoice? And if anyone in the Southwest Region has knowledge of the Dealer Cashback (other than what Edmunds claims) I'd like to know about that.
  • gmcateragmcatera Member Posts: 6
    Check out www.radiosandmore.com for the best price for factory cd changer and radios for GM Cars and Trucks.
  • talenthuntertalenthunter Member Posts: 7
    They give a pretty good story here at Edmunds about how you ought to go about buying a new car. So then you go out into the battlefield to put theory into practice but you find that dealers do a pretty good job of nullifying what Edmunds preaches. We have been talking to dealers here in So. California about the Impala LS and we find that nobody will admit to Edmunds published Dealer Cashback ($1K) and the definition of invoice gets muddied with the infamous advertising charge. So I have two questions: (1)Has anyone out there found the dealer cashback on Impala since April of this year; and (2) has anyone ever seen an honest to goodness invoice from Chevrolet Division to a dealer that has a line item for advertising cost. Since we seem to be arguing about a few hundred bucks in these negotiations I think it is important to get the advertising cost put to bed. Is it or is it not included on the invoice? And if anyone in the Southwest Region has knowledge of the Dealer Cashback (other than what Edmunds claims) I'd like to know about that.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    Another fine "Springtime in the Rockies" Snowstorm. Finally got to go and try the bad weather side of the LS myself. Found a parking lot to use as a skip pad. The Snow is that wet heavy stuff. Found that it takes alot to get it to slide. there is plenty of warning that it is going to break loose, but you really got to work at it. When it does break loose, it's very reluctant. Seem s like it's saying "Are you really that stupid?" The ABS makes that "comforting" growl when it's engaged and the pedal does pulsate (but not enpough to throw your foot off, just keep the foot planted on the pedal). Traction control comes on when it's needed, once again you have to work to get it to come on. In other words don't expect it to be on when you think it should be on. Now I have to wait to try the icy, slippery handling.
    My Medium Regal Blue is on Don's picture page I believe with a smiling Dano in the driver seat (that's me) but the other tinted windows you can see. The time of day was late afternoon in Nov. so they may appear darker than they really are. I used Solarguard brand tint and it looks really good on the car.

Crosley, on that T-bird, I suspected as much since it's an older car. I think you're right about the other parts coming with the changer, we'll see next week. If it turns out they don't I'll return it to Hutton, and I won't be paying a re-stock fee...
    The reason I mentioned an "extension plug" was that the plug only goes to the middle of the rear quarter panel and really gives you no option on where to put the changer, my suggestion would be up under the rear deck, but with where the plug is I don't think it will reach there, So I asked about a plug to give some length to it.
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    I just got back from the SCCA Solo II race about an hour ago, and I gotta say, what a rush. I was so scared at first about it, but I went out on the course and did it. I never taught that I would be able to spin out an Impala or have it move sideways. I went through the course 3 times and I improved my time by 8 secs by the 3rd time. I got some pictures taken of me takin on a Dodge Viper - Just kiddin, but we did have a viper there. It looks like I'm gonna have to purchase some new tires soon. My sidewalls are looking pretty bad, and I might have to get my tires rotated and have the white walls out till I get some new ones. I'm thinking about going with a wider tire if possible. I'l post the pictures of the race as soon as I get them developed.
    I'm not sure why you would want to see pics of my tinted windows. It's just like any other black tinted windows. The tint is made by SolarGard.
  • watusiwatusi Member Posts: 17
    while at bergey's chevy on rt 309 the other day ordering my new wheel well retainers i saw a blue ls sitting outside of the service center, the windows were tinted jet black with a huge (and i mean the thing covered the entire rear window) deer sticker on the back....what a bad-ss looking car....id go for it, but thats just screaming to have yourself pulled over.
    You asked: "(2) has anyone ever seen an honest to goodness invoice from Chevrolet Division to a dealer that has a line item for advertising cost."

Yes, I have one here in front of me, some excerpts:

2001 Impala LS Sedan
    Dark Carmine Red Metallic / Medium Gray Sport Cloth
    VIN: 2G1WH55K419295419
    Chevrolet Motor Division

Model & Factory Options // MSRP // INV AMT
    1WH19 Impala LS Sedan // 23955.00 // 21918.83
    CF5 Sunroof, Electric // 795.00 // 707.55
    FE9 Federal Low Emission Vehicle // N/C // N/C
    L36 3.8L V6 ENGINE // N/C // N/C
    MX0 4-Speed Automatic Trans W/OD // N/C // N/C
    UP0 AM/FM ... w/CD // 223.00 // 198/47
    1SB Impala LS Preferred Equip Grp // 396.00 // 352.55

TOTAL MODEL & OPTIONS // 25369.00 // 23177.29
    DESTINATION CHARGE // 610.00 // 610.00
    DEALER CO-OP ADVERTISING // ---- // 253.69

TOTAL // 25979.00 // 24040.98

Also, in a different column (with my notes):

GMS: 23026.22 (1)
    SUP: 23947.27
    ACT: 23026.22
    H/B: 761.07 (2)
    ADV: 253.69 (3)
    PAY: 24040.98

(1) = This is the employee price if they purchase this car out of dealer stock. It's equal to the Invoice amount (24040.98), less Holdback (761.07), less Advertising (253.69).

(2) = Holdback, 3% of the MSRP of the car plus options.

(3) = Advertising fee. In this case, 1% of the MSRP of the car plus options.
    Here in Arizona, tinted windows are a fact of life, I can't imagine not having them tinted. It's not against the law here unless you have them so dark it obscures your vision. I know when I lived in Ca. it was illegal though, fine was 75$ and it cost something like that to have it removed as well, pretty hefty cost.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    You mention that your sales manager sold the Sandrift LS with neutral leather and no sunroof out from under you - well I saw that car yesterday at Rockaway in NJ at our car meet! It had NJ manufacturer plates on it. I wish I could have seen the driver and invited him over to join us in our gathering on another side of the mall but he or she was obviously shopping inside.

We did have 3 Bonnevilles (2 SE and 1 SSEi) and 2 Aurora (Classics) there and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. Nice to meet fellow Edmunds posters - nice guys all.

Best to you and all the other Impala owners here.

Ken
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    You said that older buick convertible was nice and I think I know which one you mean. I guy at work drives a red one and I really like that car. But when you ask about an Impala wagon I cringe. Have you not ever seen that Chevy Capri wagon they made for a while. GEEEZ what a whale! I'd really have to "need" that car to be seen in it. I think the full-sized wagon is dead. People buy Vans if they need that kind of room (and I happen to think the Mazda van is pretty cute) and the smaller wagons, Subaru, Saturn and such are useful if you like a hatch back but need leg room for rear passengers.

Just what I think, on your question from before.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Has anyone had a hands-free cell phone installation completed in their Impala? Where did you put the phone? I've seen one bracket that mounts to the right of the stereo, but I'm not convinced this is the best spot. Any suggestions?
    Brad (20 days and counting!)
    The only Buick convertible of recent memory is the hand built Reatta made from 1988 to 1992 or '93.

The only other W-Body made as a convertible was the early 1990's Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme which was one of the best looking cars offered at the Olds division at the time.
  • larryhartlarryhart Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone have the details regarding inoperable key-fobs ??

I see the following on NightOwl's awesome website but am looking for print-outs of same. . . "...00-08-52-004 Intermittent Operation of Remote Keyless Entry System (Replace Instrument Panel Cluster); 2000 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
    00-08-52-004A Intermittent Operation of Remote Keyless Entry System (Replace Instrument Panel Cluster); 2000 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo..."

I just got my Y2K Torch Red LS (30K miles) back from the dealer after he "re-programmed" the remotes, but they still work intermittently.

Also after nearly 3000 miles on my new 2001 cradle I can unequivocally state that both the clicking and clunking problems are gone !! I knew that the new cradle would eliminate the clicks, but was skeptical it would cure the clunking vibrations I felt in the steering wheel. Glad to say the new cradle fixed both.

Now if only my key-fobs were reliable I'd be even happier. . . Regards, LH
    I never had any problems with them on the 2000 LS. However, I have seen plenty of discussion on the older Impala boards regarding problems with the remotes on early production Impalas.

Have you gotten the Keyfobs replaced with new units?

Glad to hear that your cradle woes have finally been resolved.
    Tomorrow is the big day....after a long, long wait, we are finally picking up our new '01 Impala LS! I'll be turning in the 2000 LS back to its maker which we kept exactly for 14 months and 2 days. Total mileage: 15,700 miles.
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    Give us the details. How did the Impala handle on the track? Did you get much warning before the car broke-lose? I'm assuming you were on the stock Good Year tires. What tire pressure were you running? Did you get much tire squel before it let lose?
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    I have to say that the Impala handled great on the track. The car was very responsive, even after I lost control of it, I got back on and was ready to go. The Trac Control was kicking in most of the time out there, as a matter of fact it was slowing me down, since I was on a sandy ground. The car handled great around slolums, but not too good around sharp turns, which caused the car to loose traction and slide sideways. I was running about 35-36 PSI in all tires, but if anyone is interested in trying to race their Impala, I recommend 40 PSI, or 17" - 18" Wheels with High Performance Kumho tires. I'll be posting some pictures of the race soon.
    On the Impala LS are good, sturdy tires that seems to last a very long time, but their downside is that they give in very quickly during hard cornering and are noisy to boot.

I wonder if low profile tires do make any difference in the way the Impala LS handles?
    Teo, when you say "give in very quickly during hard cornering", do you mean they squeel or lose grip. There's a big difference there.
  • tomaso7tomaso7 Member Posts: 91
    I have some questions for you but first please let me tell you that I used to take part in sanctioned solo racing up here in Southern Ontario back in the 70's. I drove an Audi 100 LS and in this car I won the Canadian Championship in G class. I also won many other slaloms [solos] and won the first race I was ever in - on a rain slicked course. Of course the Audi was a front wheel drive car. I had to stop racing because on a tight right hand corner I slammed the gear into reverse because of centrifugal force. Yikes - that was expensive.

OK here are the questions:
    Did you take your spare tire out and anything else to reduce weight?
    Did you think of turning off your Trac Control - it's a push button on the dash?
    What gear did you start in?
    What gear did you race in mostly.
    What Class is the car blotted?
    Was the entire course on sand?
    Were helmets mandatory?

Thanks
    Good questions tomoso7. I'm curious as well, especially concerning the class they put the Impala in. I'd like to know what other cars he was running in that class, at the event.
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Last week while in the Chevy shop for the 15,000 mile check a guy behind me in an expensive suit brought in his trick Corvette for key fob problems. Poor guy. It was his third trip. The fobs look exactly like ours. So I guess it's a common Chev problem.
    Reminds me of the joke about the woman who walks over to a guy to ask for a ride to a lock smith cause her batteries are dead in her FOB, the guy walks over, puts the key in the door, turns it and says "have a nice day." It's a joke I'm sure... but you wonder if sometimes that actually happens... ha!
  • regulator75regulator75 Member Posts: 31
    I am getting my new Impala this week and I would like to know how I should care and treat my leather seats. Is there a certain brand of leather care which works well? Or do some of you have "special tips" on leather care? If so Please let me know.

Thanks.
    For the POST TIME info.

RR
  • discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    Took my 2000 LS to the dealer today to make "Arrangements" for the Cradle fix and the Wheelwell Liners, figuring they would have to order the parts. The Bastards won't order anything until they have looked at it. So, tomorrow morning it goes in for these items. I also plan to mention excessively squeaky brakes and sticky rear doors...

I also stopped by a muffler shop on my way back to work for an estimate for installed dual exhaust. The quote is $210 plus Chrome tips. This includes cutting the old muffler pipe near the rear wheels, installing a "Y", installing 2 new mufflers (forgot which ones he said), cutting out the resinator and replacing with a pipe. Chrome tips range $10 each on up to ???. The ones I asked about were $35 each. Anyone else have Dual exhaust installed???

I tink I'll have this done after I get it back from the TSB fixes...
  • discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    I live in beautiful Southern California, (Orange County), and I had my windows tinted about 5 months ago. I went with dark (just short of 'Limo") on the rear window and the rear doors. The driver and passenger doors were one shade lighter, but still quite dark. I have had tinted windows (including driver/passenger windows) on my last 3 cars, for a total of about 10 years. I have never been hassled about them. Anyway, I hope I never do....
    hvan3 - My apologies for wanting to check out some pics of your ride. What was I thinking?

Anyway, all tints aren't created equally. I've seen some that look like someone took a can of black Rustoleum to the windows... also seen silver and even gold reflective tints.

I'd opt for a lighter shade maybe 30-40%. Here in IL, it seems that if you drive a car costing over 20K and the windows are tinted, the police won't look twice. But beware if you have an older car! A '93 T-bird with moderate tint means a talk with officer friendly - makes a lot of sense, huh?

Thanks!
    RR
    Congrats on your new Impala when you finally get it. I am waiting for mine. I still have a long way to go... but that is a concern of mine as well. My mother just bought a 01 Accord coupe with black leather. The dealer treated the seats before final delivery and provided her with the compound they used for the treatment. I haven't asked my dealer if that is an option for me.

I look forward to the responses to your post.

Thanks!
    RR
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    It was a beautiful weekend and today is back to windy, gusty, rainy andcooler. Left the Impala at home to change off with the truck and the college kids ride for service. Many of you might like the idea of a stick shift but just a few miles in the kids VW Fox was enough to make me thank God and Chevy for my Impala. Besides the automatic the ride isjust the best (of course it helps the Impala is 12 years newer than the kids car) No remarks on my T-shirt comments huh?