Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• Options
    iraw1iraw1 Member Posts: 1
    We had that problem when brand new from the dealer. The dealer said it was from the alternator, and that it was normal or within acceptable limits.

We still didn't like it, and the dealer finally changed the alternator and the problem was corrected.
  • Options
    danbuerkedanbuerke Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to iraw1 for the quick info!
  • Options
    kd6kd6 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2000 Sienna XLE; the whining noise, that sounded like a bad fan belt, started soon after we got the van. Dealer also thought it was a fan belt, but it wasn't. They said it wouldn't hurt to drive, but replaced an alternator part - not sure exactly what - and it's been fine ever since.
  • Options
    calsiennacalsienna Member Posts: 3
    Sorry folks, I just now checked the posts and saw the requests for the identity of our dealer who came through with the Extended Warranty (Gold Package)as compensation for the Dreaded Torque Converter curse.

Our dealership is Toyota of Walnut Creek and the guy who came through for us (finally) was Jim Totah, General Sales Manager. For further edification, here's the letter that prompted his quick response to us:

"Mr. Totah:

In July of this year my wife and I purchased a new Sienna from Toyota Walnut Creek. We worked with Tom Bridges who was very professional and pleasant leading up to and during the sales transaction (we even referred our friends to him who also purchased a Sienna). Unfortunately, we received one of the Sienna's to come out of the Toyota factory with the incorrect torque converter installed. As you may know, this condition caused the Check Engine light to come on less than a day after we picked up the car.

When we learned that repair for the code condition was the removal of the transmission from the vehicle and replacement of the torque converter we were both alarmed and dismayed since we had previously owned Toyota vehicles that ran for many years without ever having the transmission removed from the engine.

I called Tom with my concerns over this repair to our new Sienna and told him I was very unhappy with paying for a new car only to find it came from the factory with a significant defect. I requested from him an extension of the powertrain warranty beyond the standard 60 months/60,000 miles because I felt that a repair involving the removal of the transmission from the engine could cause problems down the road due to the complexity of the job and the components affected before and during the repair. We did in fact have to return the car to your service department less than two weeks following the T/C replacement because the vehicle came back to us with a steering drift and a clunking noise coming from the steering rack. While we appreciate the speed with which the repairs were accomplished, as well as the use of the loaner car both times, my confidence in the car's powertrain and front end has not been restored.

I phoned Tom twice last month and the time he returned my call he said you were trying to get Toyota to share the cost of the extended powertrain warranty with Toyota of Walnut Creek and that I would hear from you soon. My last message to Tom was not returned and have yet to hear anything further on the status of my request. I am simply asking for the courtesy of a response from you Mr. Totah so that we can both get on with our lives. I don't believe my request for an extended warranty to be unreasonable given the relatively small cost to your dealership when compared to the price I paid for the vehicle. If the repairs have been entirely successful, there will be no further costs to you and no more headaches for me. I'm sympathetic to you as a dealer because from the sound of things, Toyota has not stepped forward with any answer to Sienna owners other than "Sorry, bad luck, you got one our defective ones". I also realize you are not required to do anything further for us but please consider my request and give me a call or write me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon."

So, as I said before, Toyota Corp. is not looking as if they want to do anything nationally or at least not publicize any extension of the standard warranty. If I'm the dealership owner or manager, I do what's right to preserve my excellent reputation despite Toyota's screw up and then think twice about Toyota's support of its dealers. Toyota seems to be saying "Hey, you dealers should be overjoyed that we allow you to sell our highly marked up vehicles. Take it or leave it but making good on defects is on your dime." Sad thing is, they can do that; Toyota dealerships make great money in California. The name alone is still worth a great deal. Time will tell if that holds.

Sorry for the length of this post. Hope it helps someone get an extended warranty for their defective Sienna. By the way, 3000K on the new TC, things are great. I'm watching out for the tires and sludge though and we don't have leather or auto doors ;-)
  • Options
    rjsforjsfo Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the updated information on your experience working through the Toyota corporate maze. It helps that you were willing to share what has worked to alleviate my frustrations. My dealer that I am trying to work through for an extended warranty is down the road from you in Dublin and it actually included the transmission as well as the torque converter being replaced. I had a complete failure driving on Interstate 5 at freeway speeds when the transmission disengaged completely. I'll let you know how it goes...
  • Options
    mary_vmary_v Member Posts: 1
    I haven't seen many posts lately on this problem, my 2000 Sienna's radio starts skipping after a little while of listening to it any doesn't get any better until I turn it off for a bit and try later. Just wanted to hear from someone about what resolution they had, do they just replace the radio with another and have the same problems or have they fixed it? Secondly, in the 2001 they have a new JBL stereo, does this fit into the same space as the 2000 stereo, I'll swap if it does?

Thanks....
  • Options
    cblake2cblake2 Member Posts: 53
    My '99 Sienna continues to have the pulling problem. I note it more after using my emergency brake....e.g. lift it off and then the pull is greatly increased when on the highway.

I could not start the van this week. I have not driven it since. There was a strong odor from the front of the van and inside the van....a gasoline smell, rather noxious. I see the stream of white smoke pouring out of the tailpipe is thicker these mornings (not simply cold start smoke, IMO).

I have bragged on my Honda Odyssey, a 1995. Since having it serviced at the 60,000 mile mark, the ABS light is shining permanently. We have just been told that we need a new accumulator and modulator!! Been there and done that with Chrysler minivan....no more praises for Honda. I see that I am not alone with that problem either.

What is is with the POOR QUALITY of these vans. Are we fools for accepting the costly repairs or major warranty repairs at low mileage??? WHAT can be done??

I have two vans and neither have any long term quality to date. Is it asking too much to have a reliable van??

I may have to have the Sienna towed back to the dealership if it won't start again. It has 22,000 miles on it. This is RIDICULOUS!!

Please share any similar problems. The Sienna also has the metallic clunking noise on backing up, the battery corrosion, the creaking seats, the premature tire wear, etc. I don't feel I have safe or reliable transportation in this less-than-two-year-old van. Now faced with the holiday travel, I have two vans under 5 years old that each have major problems. I am FED UP!! Are you, too??

cblake@erols.com
  • Options
    gbush1gbush1 Member Posts: 13
    I also find it amazing that for all the hoopla, the minivans offered all seem to have problems. None of the main ones have bragging rights. I was fortunate with my van. A 96 Villager bought in 95. Never once had a problem, but it was a Nissan and they make it simple. Only sold it due to moving overseas. Now I'm in the market again and may buy the same again although Nissan will quiet making them soon. Problem now though is 3 kids vs. 1, so I need a bigger van. I may just have to give up some room. They'll live. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    caveman703caveman703 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading through the posts here, I'm looking to see if anyone would share how well the Siennas (99-01) handle the road in snowy conditions (with and without VSC)? Or if someone could reference a post that addresses that question. Also, I'm looking to see how those with 01's have been doing on MPG? Thanks.
  • Options
    nutternutter Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 XLE with 1100 miles on it and no problems! The new VVT engine is really nice. I decided to buy off the lot to get a good deal, and wound up with Running boards and a center console that I would not have normally wanted. The running boards are nice and a big help to the kids. I had the console removed, and it left two large squares of uncarpeted area where they cut the carpet to attach it to the floor. I have patches tucked under the carpet, and I will have to cut and tape them in place when I have the time. The Sienna is a much more people-hauling freindly than my other vehicle, an SUV. (Hello Drew !!)
  • Options
    alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Hi Jon,

Glad you're enjoying your van!

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Options
    dcikshdciksh Member Posts: 7
    I have 2001 Sienna XLE with VSC option. I can't tell you much about the VSC except the VSC and TRACK OFF lights are on all the time. Dealer could not figure out what's wrong with it (4 trips to the dealer for service so far).

In addition to the VSC problem, the heater did not work (no heat at all). Dealer did fix the problem, but this is a brand new van.

My Sienna has averaged about 18 mi/gal on mixed driving (two tanks of gas so far). I expect this would get better...

Another thing about the van is the JBL stereo system. It produces sub-woofer like bass (very low freq.) that hurts my ears on both low and high volume... I'm not sure how other people feel about it.
  • Options
    ny25champsny25champs Member Posts: 6
    Just had to bring my 01 Sienna LE in for the third time because of a rattling in the engine. This time I'm told they have to replace the timing belt adjuster. It only has about 580 miles on it. We're hoping this helps with our arbitration hearing next week. I agree with a previous writer. Where is the quality that we expect in these high priced vans? How many more days off do I have to waste sitting at home waiting for a call from the service department because I had to bring my van in again?
  • Options
    dardsondardson Member Posts: 21
    After a month and 1200 miles I find my Sienna XLE drives and rides great. It is quick and car like....BUT....I find the interior surprisingly full of chatters, buzzes, and rattles. Very disappointed. For 30k I expect better.
  • Options
    readytobuy4readytobuy4 Member Posts: 24
    The dealer swapped out the Firestone Affinity's with Michelin X-One's on our '00 Sienna XLE after the dreaded torque converter problem. The Michelin's give the van a great ride, although you still feel a little bit of roll if you take turns at a good speed.
  • Options
    jbadamsjbadams Member Posts: 63
    My Sienna does not roll any worse than any other van I have driven (Honda, Ford, Chrysler, Dodge). The Chrysler rolls much more than the Sienna. Vans are not cars.
  • Options
    gb9gb9 Member Posts: 16
    I have posted about this before, but just wanted to offer an update:

2000 LE purchased in July 2000

At 2700 miles the van consistently gets 12 to 13 mpg. No excessive idling, no jackrabbit starts either.

I broke in the engine according to the manual. Any thoughts as to when this condition should improve? 10K? 20K?

Anyone else with gas mileage this bad?

Otherwise the Sienna is a dream (no rattles, no clunks, no tire or brake problems)
  • Options
    I would say take it to your dealer and have them check it out. If tire pressure is OK, have them see if a brake pad is rubbing. You should be getting closer to 20 mpg on average. I just got over 25 mpg on a highway trip at an average speed of over 70 mph. Average in town and some hiway is around 20 mpg. Your van needs looked at by someone that can check the brakes, tires, transmission and engine.
  • Options
    blizz1blizz1 Member Posts: 9
    i have a 2001 xle. Getting about 15 mpg mostly around town. 17 mpg with premium gas. Just took a trip mostly highway at 75 mph with about 21 mpg (with premium/regular mix). I had the brakes checked because we had a problem with the cable to the parking brake not releasing. Disappointed with the gas milage. I hope it improves. We have 2500 miles on the van.
  • Options
    I have a 2001 Sienna XLE and notice that when the vehicle is at 55MPH or above there is
    considerable wind noise coming in to the cabinet. It seem like it's coming from the front windshield.

I'm going to take the car in to the dealer for the VSC problem (light stays on) and have them check out wind noise as well.

Just wondering if anyone feels his or her Sienna has exceeded wind noise?

The wind noise is much more than the car I replaced which is 1995 Nissan Maxima. I also own 1996 SVX and used to own 1993 Subaru Legacy Wagon. Both Subaru has less wind noise than Maxima and Sienna.
  • Options
    alingaling Member Posts: 598
    The minivan is a much boxier vehicle than your cars (especially the SVX), so don't expect it to be as quiet since it is no where as good as the cars aerodynamically.

All minivans/SUVs/pickup trucks are affected by this, but some surpress the wind noise better/much better than others.

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Options
    mariaj1mariaj1 Member Posts: 1
    We have just started looking for either a minivan or a SUV. I priced the Toyota Sienna and the Chrysler Town and Country today. After looking at the postings for both of these minivans and many others, it appears that the quality of these vans are not very good. I know that there is no such thing as a perfect vehicle, but can anyone tell me if there is a reliable minivan out there?

I was concerned with the gas mileage of the SUV's, but there seem to be gas mileage problem with these minivans, also. From reading these postings, it may be best just to stick with a car?

MJ
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Remember 99% of the people here are for posting problems. There are 50 times as many people that are very happy with their van. Most of the Honda vans are getting about 25mpg on the highway. Not bad for a 4300lb vehicle. The other vans are about the same. None of the SUVs come close to that except the little ones Blazer size or smaller, then again you won't have the room of the minivan.
  • Options
    readytobuy4readytobuy4 Member Posts: 24
    We sold our '94 Toyota 4Runner and pondered between another SUV or minivan. We test drove many vehicles including a Ford Expedition and liked it but not the mileage, 13-15 MPG/. We opted for the Toyota Sienna and think we made the best choice. It has the ride of a car (it's built on a modified Camry frame), more space than our previous 4Runner and most other SUV's, still gives the driver (my wife) a superb view of the road, has the convenience of 2 sliding doors-our '00 model has 1 power and 1 manual door, the '01 model has 2 power doors!!, and gets about 20-23 MPG. I think you have to take into consideration the size and weight of the vehicle vs. the MPG, there are smaller minivans that get better mileage but you sacrifice space. We also own a 4-cylinder Mazda 626 that gets the SAME mileage-go figure??? I think the most important factor to look at is not only reliability, which Toyota is known for, but safety-the Sienna is 1 of the safest minivans made! This makes Dad feel good when Mom and the 2 yr old twins are out and about.....
    Good luck!
  • Options
    gasmizergasmizer Member Posts: 6
    I have to chime in here. Sorry for all of you folks who have had problems, but my 2000 Sienna LE has 11K miles on it and has been flawless. And for a bonus, we have been getting 19-20MPG around town, and 26 on the highway. On a recent long trip, I would agree that there was quite a bit of wind noise, but we were driving in a gale down RT 95 at 70 MPH.

Perhaps I'm just not as picky, or maybe I'm just one of the vast majority of satisfied Sienna owners. Oh - & don't forget the safety ratings...I would recommend this van to anyone.
  • Options
    lynne29lynne29 Member Posts: 46
    We are getting 19-20 in town and 23-24 highway. After putting 32,000 miles on since our purchase in January, I am extremely pleased to say every single moment has been a pleasure. Not one person in our family misses the 4Runner at all. We have so much more room and versatility. It was extremely expensive to get out of our 4Runner lease, which by the way was a terrible deal from Shore Toyota in New Jersey. After purchasing several vehicles from them, we finally got thoroughly hosed. Even though it meant a long drive (and you should know with the Sienna we have no problem with long drives anymore!) we shopped elsewhere and we are thrilled with the car, price and reliability.
  • Options
    We have almost 1500 trouble free miles on ours. We love it! It handles great... like a car. We get close to 20mpg in town and over 25mpg on the highway.
  • Options
    yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    We've had our's since April 11,000 miles and no problems at all.As others have stated it is mostly people with problems who post
  • Options
    agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    Wouldn't that make sense, as this is the "Toyota Sienna Problems II" topic?

LOL
  • Options
    doh!
  • Options
    dbrewer1dbrewer1 Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2000 LE Sienna that we have had about 20 different rattles and problems with. We have contacted Toyota Motor Sales and they don't want to do anything about it. The regional representative drove it and said all the rattles were normal and that they weren't going to do anything about it(good customer service, right?). Has anyone else had these problems? We have almost 25,000 miles on it and the problems won't quit.
  • Options
    Hi All,

Just want to give an update on my 01 Sienna VSC problem (VSC light and TRACK Off light stays on). Well, the dealer replaced the "Steering Angle Sensor" and it looks like they finally fixed the problem. Wow, no warning lights for couple days now :).

As far as the wind noise goes, I pushed the roof rack's front cross bar back and it helps a little. I agree with Drew/aling that Sienna is a minivan. It’s bigger and taller than my Subaru SVX. Hence, it might produce more wind noise.

I also experience rattles. I think it's related to back seats. If I have people sit on the back seats, the rattle would go away. It does not bother me as much as the VSC problem I had...

Finally, I have to say that I do like my Sienna. It has smooth ride and very comfortable.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I have a 01 Odyssey with 2500 miles on it and no rattles anywhere. I do have the wind noise and the gas spashing around when I stop and yes its noisier than most cars but its a van, a big box that echos more noise. The rattles I would raise hell about. Take it back and tell them to fix it or they can buy it back under the lemon law.
  • Options
    bburns965bburns965 Member Posts: 1
    The things you learn through the internet. My 1999 Sienna van has 21,000 gentle miles. It began burning oil at the rate of 1 quart per 100 miles. I thought the first Toyota Dealer (Superior, A Hendrick Auto Group Dealership) in Overland Park, Kansas was kidding when they informed me the engine had a sludge problem and blamed me for failing to have the oil changed. A second dealership, (Molle in Kansas City, Mo.) confirmed the sludge problem, I asked that a Toyota representative review the problem. They have refused to rectify the problem.

Apparently, these dealerships are under orders from Toyota to cast the blame on the owner and deny any problem. Unfortunately, I too will become Toyota's worst nightmare. Both The Missouri
    and Kansas State Attorney General's and Insurance Commissioner's offices will be receiving my documentation of this unfair business practice of Toyota's failing to stand behind their warranty.

Furthermore, after reviewing this site, consumer advocates in the local media, of which I am a member, will also be informed of this issue.

In the meantime, The Sienna is going to auction
    through a friend who owns a local GM dealership. I can only hope it ends up back on a Toyota lot
    and they create more bad will for the next Toyota
    consumer.

Note: If anyone is interested in forming a coalition to challenge Toyota's unfair business practices, please feel free to contact me at this address.
  • Options
    We purchased our 2000 Sienna in Aug. of 99. By October and 3000 miles we had severe dash rattles behind the ac and stereo units. We took the vehicle into Superior Toyota in KC for service. They took apart the dash but could not find the problem. We have now taken the vehicle in to Superior six times to repair rattles. The dash rattles on all road surfaces. The rear hatch rattles all the time, the passenger side door rattles and the rear seats rattle. The van has a symphony of rattles. Its worse than my old 80's vintage Dodge Caravan. Fed up, I contacted Toyota's National Customer Assistance Center for assistance. I was contacted by the Toyota Regional Service Representative for the KC area. She took a drive in my Sienna and admitted it rattled, but I was told that all Toyota's rattle and thats too bad. I re-contacted the Customer Assistance Center and received an e-mail which stated, and I quote "A regional representative drove the vehicle and advised that no ABNORMAL RATTLES were found. That representative has provided Toyota's final position on this matter. If you wish to pursue the matter further that would be done outside Toyota through arbitration". Now thats mighty fine customer service.
  • Options
    I have found that the key chain hangs down and rattles on the lip of the lower dash. That could be your problem.
  • Options
    yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    Regarding the sludge problem, How often do you change the oil? We've been following the maintenance schedule that toyota recommends which is every 5,000 miles.
  • Options
    agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    Buyback under the lemon law for rattles? Are you serious? What state will allow such a thing?
  • Options
    sgergensgergen Member Posts: 155
    you're supposed to change the oil? ;)

How often did they change it?
    Did they change the filter?
    What kind of oil?

Reason #1 to have Toyota do all the service on my vehicle. Yep, it costs a few bucks more but then they have an exact record of maintenance and can point the finger to nobody but themselves.
  • Options
    sgergensgergen Member Posts: 155
    There are just too many Camry's, Previa's, etc. on the road that have gone 100,000+ miles with minimal or no problems for the public to give the "sludge" thing any creedance.

Does this mean I don't believe them? No, I fully believe there is sludge in their engine. I also fully believe that there is a *reason* for it being there (Running low on oil for extended periods of time, not doing scheduled oil and filter changes, overheating multiple times, crappy oil, crappy filters, etc...)

"cblake" probably has all kinds of trouble with her Toyota and that's unfortunate. But the "chicken little" syndrome that comes with it is ridiculous (IMHO).

Scott
  • Options
    pslin100pslin100 Member Posts: 3
    Bought a new Sienna on Oct, and just finished a trip to Vancouver B.C. Everything is working perfect except the rear vision from the mirror. The right side blind spot is big.(I believe all the vans and SUVs have the same problem.) This week I started to think the solution for this problem. Finally, I find the solution from the Internet.
    I bought a 12" clip-on mirror and clip it onto the original one. Wow, I got an amazing rear vision from this new mirror. I tested drive it to the highway. It reduced a lot of blind spot, and of course I was still turning my head to double check before I changed lane. I am just wonder why Toyota won't put a bigger rear view mirror for Sienna.
  • Options
    Thanks jbadams and blizz for the input.

I brought my 2000 LE to the dealer for a diagnostic on the poor gas mileage. I provided them a log of my exact figures for the last four fill-ups, along with the gas station credit card receipts:

12.11 mpg
    13.26 mpg
    13.4 mpg
    12.71 mpg

All diagnostics: Normal
    The word from Toyota national HQ service people was that 12 - 13 mpg is within normal ranges for around town driving.

Is there *any* truth to this whatsoever?

I live on Long Island (suburban-type driving). It is not a particularly congested area. Thus, we do not have the "city"-type stop and go traffic.

From previous experience with a new car (1994 Saturn), I found that the car did not reach the EPA *lower range* for city driving until after 5 years (40,000 miles).

Is this what I have to look forward to?

It's not so much the money, rather, I get the unsettling feeling of trashing the Earth more than I had anticipated.
  • Options
    Try a different gas station to see if you are getting bad gas. You might be getting water when you refuel. Run your take low, then refill at a good station and put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. Then drive until that tank full is almost gone. Then refill and monitor your mileage with this tank of gas.

You say all diagnostics normal which sounds like they hooked a computer up to your car. But... that won't tell you if the brakes are binding or alignment is bad or tire pressure low or bad wheel bearings or clogged air filter (well maybe it might on the air filter).
  • Options
    leslieldfleslieldf Member Posts: 32
    Bought my '00 Sienna in Sept. '00 and have over 3k miles and have been getting around 21/22 mpg. I do a lot of driving around (3 kids), not much freeway driving - maybe 30%. Not a lot of stop and go either, though.

I was one of the "lucky" torque converter problem Siennas, which has been repaired (about a month ago) and everything is fine. Haven't noticed any rattles, but maybe I'm not as aware?

Also haven't noticed wind noise. The fan is very loud on the 3rd setting and up, though. Overall, extremely happy with the comfort and ride.

I'm going to take it to the dealer for all oil changes. They recommended 5000 mile intervals, which I may shorten up to 4000 just for insurance.

Good luck!
  • Options
    We use a separating key chain which pops apart to separate the key from the key fob. Keeps the key fob in your pocket, not bouncing against the dash. The rattle comes from behind the center air vents. When you hold the dash right below the vents the rattle will stop. There are dash clips behind the dash facia which attaches the facia to the dashboard. Toyota tried to use tape and felt pads to stop the rattle. It helped but then it came back. Toyota now says they won't take the dash apart to fix the problem. The rattles are normal. All Toyota's rattle.
  • Options
    ramiamaroramiamaro Member Posts: 2
    I am the "proud" owner of a 1998 Toyota Sienna which has had all the quirks of a brand new model (1998 was the Sienna's debut year). I have put up with the pulling to the left & subsequent excessive wear on the tire, the doors sticking, the power locks sticking, the engine revving while idling - & all that I could stand (even though most of it Toyota never fixed).

However, I can't put up with the oil problem. At 30,000 miles, despite oil changes at Toyota's recomendation of every 7,500 miles (non-turbocharged, over 5 miles per trip, temperate weather) - the van started smoking. Toyota says its just steam. At 33,000 miles the oil light flashes only when I break. Toyota provides an oil change, which I am billed for. At 35,000 miles - still smoking & flashing - Toyota tells me I need a new engine as oil is leaking from the valves or rings. Never before 30,000 miles had I seen any smoke or had the oil light come on. Never before had any oil change facility said I was low on or leaking oil.

So Toyota (Parker Toyota - Coeur D' Alene, Idaho) says it'll take 2 & 1/2 days to arrange the repair with Toyota National. I wait. Parker calls & says they need my oil change proof. I don't have receipts so I give them the name, number, & date & mileage of each change - which I get by calling all over many cities in several states. However, one facility has no computer and so no record of me going there, although I know I did. The owner tells me "Honey, we ain't got no fancy computer here, sorry bout that". Plus, my husband did 2 or 3 himself & I don't know where the receipt is - after all, we've moved several times now.

Parker informs me that the repair won't be covered as I have failed my duty under the warranty by not having the oil changed & keeping the receipt. I am thoroughly peeved, & I get copies of all receipts but one - I even locate me receipt for the do it myself oil change. I provide these to Parker with a nasty letter. I also call Toyota National - the man on the phone acts shocked at my treatment, but simply turns the matter over to Parker. Parker calls me & says he has a solution, but it is too late to call the manager back as it is now Friday at 9 pm & he won't be back till Monday. I have a feeling that it is going to be some deal where Toyota "generously" pays a small portion of the repair & I pay the rest.

The bad news for Toyota is that the internet exists, & consumers like us now know there is a defect! The worse news for Toyota is that I happen to be an attorney who is not afraid to stand up for consumer's rights - particularly in cases where big corporations take advantage of consumers. And that is exactly what Toyota is doing. Rather than acknowledge a defect, and rather that honor a warranty, they put the burden on the consumer to prove otherwise, & make the process so difficult & expensive that the consumer goes away & Toyota pays nothing for the repair. In addition, the dealers don't have to provide a costly repair under warranty (which doesn't pay for the dealer).

So please - ANYONE WHO HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM - E-MAIL ME YOUR STORY, & NAME & ADDRESS& phone. I plan to file an action in Federal Court. Time is of the essence!

Rami Amaro
    Ramiamaro@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ramiamaroramiamaro Member Posts: 2
    Please read my posting & e-mail me.

Rami Amaro (Oil & Sludge lawsuit)
  • Options
    cblakecblake Member Posts: 5
    Interesting, very interesting, "bburns965" and "ramiamaro!" Owner blame again, am I surprised?? No honoring of warranty, no surprise there either! Didn't you know that the Sienna needs "kid glove" treatment....even still, it will have problems!

You might want to know that other Toyota models have demonstrated the sludge problem, too. Look at Camry and Avalon posts where applicable. Are the engines same/similar?

The pulling issue is well documented in the archives of Sienna owners here. Premature tire wear and brake problems are noted as well. Sticking sliding doors are common as are leaking rear washer lines.

As for the sludge issue, I still think the problem will just be delayed if oil is changed every 3,000 miles. The problem is a slow-developing one. Keeping the oil "new" will only decrease the immediate problems. There are *definitely* some larger issues with the engine itself. No on has satisfactorily addressed a possible head gasket issue either.

FACT: Toyota has a major head gasket problem which resulted in a major recall on some of its models in the last five years. Head gasket problems cannot possibly be "OWNER BLAME" problems (but Toyota might think of a way to try it!).

"Readytobuy" wanted me to defend my information as if I were on trial. If you don't mind, I'll save that for the *real* trial if needed. I think that instead, Toyota needs to PROVE beyond any doubt that this is NOT a manufacturing defect inherent to many, many Siennas, and other models (crosses year models, too).

Pending the resolution of my own case, I would be VERY INTERESTED in linking with "bburns965" and "ramiamaro" to pursue these matters further. And, as John Paul Johns said in a U.S. battle, "I have only just begun to fight..."

I have not had much time at all to pursue these matters publicly. However, if Toyota forces me to, so be it. Everyone has free choice. No, there is no "chicken little" issue (as indicated by one poster). There is a David and Goliath issue. The difference? This time, the automaker will be David and the consumers will be Goliath. Get enough of us together and LOOK OUT!

I left the U.S. vehicles and turned to Honda and Toyota. I am not a previous import owner aside from my current '95 Odyssey and '99 Sienna. With my ever-increasing Sienna problems and my recently failed ABS (quote of $1400 for repair) on the Odyssey, I have NO FAITH in those automakers either.

The situation with new vehicles is at a crisis level. Take the FORD Windstar and Explorer issues, the Chrysler minivans, the Sienna, the new Odyssey, also. GM is plagued by problems, too. We, the consumers are asked to POUR our hard-earned money into KNOWN and WIDESPREAD DEFECT repairs. IS IT FAIR???

I like "bburns965" idea about a coalition. I think it is time to enact stronger laws to protect us. Just as Rami Amaro stated, we have the burden of proof as if WE are on trial. The dealerships ALWAYS say they have never seen the problem...I see it time and time again!

Owners need to realize that by going quietly away (to make life easier in some cases), the automaker has ABSOLUTELY NO INCENTIVE to stop the unfair treatment. You also must put pressure on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Center for Auto Safety to protect you by investigating defect patterns. YES! It IS a hassle. But, generating the paperwork HELPS lead to action by consumer and government agencies.

Will the automaker force you to go to extreme measures to get a resolution? Most likely. However, it would be wise for automakers to heed consumers' promises to get justice. Where there is a will there is a way.......

(Consumers Unite: "http://www.businessweek.com/1996/27/b348212.htm")

Having said all this, I am going to be optimistic that Toyota will be fair. My dealership, while initially quite frustrating to deal with, did make repairs and take steps to correct the problems. The problem? Some problems are *not resolved* despite repairs made. With a defect, oftentimes you get the "Band-Aid" treatment, only to return later with greater problems. This is NOT FAIR!!

Don't forget to use thecomplaintstation.com,
    cartrackers.com, and alt.autos.toyota (newsgroup) to post the problems you have!

Charlene Blake
    cblake@erols.com
  • Options
    cblakecblake Member Posts: 5
    Ooops! Typo. I meant to write John Paul Jones (American Revolution). ;-)

cblake@erols.com
  • Options
    I tried switching gas stations already in October, concentrating on major brands that get lots of business and thus frequent refills of the underground tanks. I will give one tankful of Techron a try, though.

Regarding the dealer diagnosis: I check the tires myself at every other fillup, which rules out that factor. The service advisor pooh-poohed the idea of rubbing brakes, since there was no noise nor overheating of the pads/shoes.

Indeed, the dealer service facility is even less inclined to do anything further because of two pieces of supporting "information" that they got from Georgetown, KY:

1. 12 - 13 mpg is normal for around town.
    2. Gas mileage will be expected to worsen with the drop in temperature (in my area it has hardly dropped below freezing yet).

What I really want to challenge is the contention that 12 - 13 is normal. Is there *any* support for this? The lower EPA range on the sticker (for city driving) is 15.

I am very surprised that some other owners are getting 20 mpg around town. My results of 12 - 13 has to be indicative of some problem ? I question whether the service people did anything at all after having spoken to national HQ.