2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jrabdawgjrabdawg Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2010
    and Dave, just to try to explain it another way...

I received this quote as a 1st quote and have not attempted to negotiate, yet:

MSRP $30,615.00
    Discount $4,357.78
    Selling Price $26,257.22
    FLA. Tire disposal fee: $5.00
    FLA. Lead-acid battery disposal fee: $1.50
    Pre-delivery service fee: $599.00
    Amount taxable on vehicle $26,862.72
    Sales tax = 6% with $25 fee $1,611.76
    County tax reflected here $50.00
    Trade in Payoff amount due:
    ESTIMATED New Tag Fee $400.00
    Cash on delivery: $28,924.48

However, if I trade a car in, then the tag transfer fee drops to $150 and then the OTD price is $28674.48.

If I read your post, you paid $28,780 OTD and your tax rate in PA is just 6%.

So if we are to determine who got or is getting a better deal, it is still too subjective to decide.

When you factor in time involved in research and negotiation, time involved at the dealership, cost to take time to get to the dealership, gas, whatever, etc, it still seems to be about a wash.

So whether the dealer discloses a "profit" either included in the starting price or added, what matters is the cost of the vehicle OTD minus TTL and that is what we should all be trying to compare here.
  • Options
    albig1albig1 Member Posts: 3
    The dealer is Team Honda, however if you read my post, their first offer was 31,040 for the EX--L-RES, and after negotiation I was able to get 29,650. You might try Gwinett Place Honda also. They will give you a comparable price for24 hours, without negotiationing.

Regardless of whom you purchase from,be sure and get quotes for Honda Car Warranty from Hyannis Honda or Saccucci Honda prior to going to the Dealer. The dealers will try and sell you the Honda Care Warranties at full markup to make up for the low prices on their cars. The online sellers will sell the same warranties for for nearly 30 to 40% less.

Good luck and remember you can do all this online BEFORE you go into the dealer.
  • Options
    hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    For purposes of this message board (I've said it before and I'll say it again) the CAR PRICE IS WHAT IS USEFUL INFO! (also if there are any "dealer profit add ons" etc like jrabdawg enjoys). We all have different tax rates, etc so the OTD quote is confusing.

I bought my EXL-RES for 30,100 FOR THE CAR. Who cares what my tax rates are -- even I don't because I CANT CHANGE OR NEGOTIATE THEM. All I can do is try to get the car price as low as possible, which in turn makes the tax bill go down a little too.

Focus and compare on what we can control........which is the car price
  • Options
    PA Dave - you are aware that you don't HAVE to take your car to a dealer for service.....anyone can do the oil changes (even you!) - just keep your receipts to prove to Honda that you did have the oil changed........they can't force you to do it at a dealer!
  • Options
    roxie6roxie6 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2010 EX-L on March 17 in the Nashville TN area for $30412 plus $299 fee and local taxes. This appears to be about $550 below invoice. This was a straight cash sale. This price seems to be higher than some are reporting around the country but I am happy with the price and I have had good previous experience with this dealer on sales and service.
  • Options
    hogan,

you are grossly misrepresenting what I have said.

If dealer A sends an email back saying the car is 25,500 plus a 500 dealer fee and the car is 26,000 plus TTL, dealer B says the car is 25,700 plus a 300 dealer fee for a base of 26,000 plus TTL , and dealer C says the car is 26,000 with no dealer fee plus TTL, the price is the same between all of them before TTL regardless of whether they itemize out "dealer profit add ons" or not.

When I posted the first email I got back from one of them showing that they were offering the car for 1250 below invoice, but they itemized out what was base and what was a fee, I stated that the price before TTL seemed fair.

If you actually read what I am saying, you will realize that we agree on comparing what we can control, which is the car price before TTL, and not flame me.

Thank you.
  • Options
    rbrummrbrumm Member Posts: 8
    It appears as though I should have waited a month. Kinda gives me buyers remorse. Not Much I can do about it now.
  • Options
    rbrummrbrumm Member Posts: 8
    Where are you at in MN? We are just south of the border and bought ours in
    Rochester. We bought at the end of Feb. but seems as though waiting a few weeks we could have gotton a better deal. It's all about timing I guess...end of the week at the end of the month...should have waited until the end of the year as well...but we are happy with our van!
  • Options
    avalanche08avalanche08 Member Posts: 8
    Hi tron1970, I am also interested in a LX model. Can you please share your buying experience including dealer info? Thx.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    These are the final numbers we worked out and got a Charcoal EX in FL at a dealer just 5miles from our house:

MSRP $ 30,615.00
    Selling Price $ 26,438.24
    Sales tax $ 1650.76
    Title/Tag/Reg $ 411.00
    OTD: $ 28,500

They are including the following in the OTD price:
    floor mats, wheel locks, mud guards, cargo tray, cargo mat, nitrogen, pin stripe, door edge guards, and first oil change

And they are letting us put $5000 on our Amex card
  • Options
    This is the problem with message boards........I was ABSOLUTELY AGREEING with your statement.....but I guess I should have said so before launching in. I have posted several times in the past re: quoting car price and not just OTD.....so when you said that same thing, I just did a "YES PEOPLE, LIKE I'VE BEEN SAYING (and like JRabdawg just said)....etc"

My fault for not writing clearly.....wasn't trying to flame you at all. I still disagree with the whole "dealers are entitled to earn a profit that we decide for them" thing, but that was an older post......I absolutely agree on the point about OTD prices......
  • Options
    buckeyejunkbuckeyejunk Member Posts: 3
    i have only read the last few thousand posts in this forum. This is a whole new world for me! I am looking for a '10 Odyssey and fortunately came into some money so I have a sizable amount of cash on hand, plus a measly trade-in ('03 Civic with 110,000 miles on it in 'fair' condition...KBB is about $3,000-$3,500).

I am currently in the step of canvassing all the dealerships asking for quotes etc. My question is, at what point do I mention that I have cash on hand, and/or the trade-in?

Does cash on hand make me more appealing to the dealer than someone who is financing most of the price of the car?

Should I just work to get the price as low as possible and THEN bring up, "i have a trade in too"?

I've only bought one other car (the Civic) and I didn't do near as much homework because I didn't feel it was as much of an investment. This is my chance to get a great family car, my kids are small, and I picture this being our family car for hte next 8-10yrs. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I would recommend getting a quote from carmax on the value of your car as a liquid cash before you go to any dealer.

Then I would recommend reading hogan's steps for negotiating a great price for a cash deal and find financing elsewhere, like captial one or your local credit union. Dealers would rather do a cash deal and you will do better that way too.

At the last minute, after you have gotten the price you want, then say, by the way, if I trade in my car, what will you give me. If they meet or beat carmax, then blam, take it. If not, then you can either sell it to carmax or try the auto trader.

If you try to work your trade as part of the deal, you will never know how well you are doing and it will be too convoluted.

ymmv.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Agree. Just focus on the price of the car. Don't bring the trade in till after you already have finalized the price of the car.

I'll tell you what happened in my case. I negotiated the price down to 30,100. Then I went in to buy at that price, and 2 things happened. 1) the dealer I went to said he made a mistake on the phone and they didn't actually have an EXL-RES in my color - just an EXL. So not wanting to reward bad behavior, I decided to check my next highest dealer. But while I was at Lying Dealer, I had them appraise my car just to get an idea.

I called my next place and told them that since they and another dealer were basically at the same price on the car, I've realized that a much bigger swing could come by how much each would pay on the trade. So I went there, had them appraise the car. They ultimately agreed to pay 500 more on the trade than the Lying Dealer, so I bought from them on the spot.

PLEASE feel free to push back on the trade in quote. Real world example.....my trade in had KBB and Edmunds trade in value around 11k to 11.5k. Dealer one offered my 9000 flat. Gave me the speech about how nobody uses KBB or Edmunds - they use auction values (which is probably somewhat true). When I pushed back, he upped his offer to 10,500!

Dealer 2 offered 9500 on the trade. I pushed back and they ultimately came up to 11,000.

Addendum to the Hogan Method - IF YOU HAVE A TRADE IN, DON'T OVERLOOK THAT FINAL PUSH WHEN CLOSING THE DEAL. Had I taken their initial bids as gospel, I would have lost 1500-2000 on the overall deal! Big money!

As for Carmax, I wasn't that impressed. I spent an hour and a half of my time, so they could offer me a flat 10,000, non negotiable. Was it better than the INITIAL offer of the dealers? Yes. Did the dealers ultimately beat it? Yes. Don't forget also the very significant tax effect depending on what state you live in. If your state allows them to offset the trade, then you're paying tax on the NET amount of the deal, ie if you get 10,000 for your trade and your state tax is 7%, then you are getting a $700 additional benefit that you don't get by selling thru Carmax.

And one other thing to ponder. I asked several dealers who were at low prices whether bringing a trade into the deal would allow them to go even tighter on the new car price, since they would be making money on the trade. All said no (prob cause I was at or near the bottom of reasonable new car price).
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you sell a car to carmax and then buy one from them, you will get the tax benefit. But not if you just sell if to them and don't buy something, which is correct.

I recommended carmax just to use to get a starting number. It is also a good place to test drive cars without the hassle of new car dealership sales tactics. Most carmaxs have the color and trim of a year or two year old car that you may be looking at to buy new.

I am sure since they sell cars higher than average, they also buy cars below average. So you can probably get the new dealer to beat carmax.

In my recent deal this week, I found that buying a new car was the same price as buying a used one from carmax that was an 08-09 model. That is ridiculous. It was always said to buy a car that is a year or two old, but when you can get new for the same price in this economy, it is a no-brainer.

And as far as Hogan recommends for pushing the dealers and squeezing them to get what you want, most all of them starting by saying they would only take 2500-3000 on an amex card as company policy. Within 24hours of emails, I had 4 of them agreeing to take 5000 on an amex when I told them it would be a deal-breaker.

It is amazing what you can do when you realize that you have the power. The internet is a wonderful thing. :)
  • Options
    One another note, I had four guys tell me that they were at bottom, there was no more room to go, that they were losing money on my deal and they were all where I posted a few posts ago. After I got all the things I wanted and chose the dealer that said they could have the color of my choice within 24hrs and the closest to me, I picked them. When I notified all the other dealers and told them that I decided to go with someone else and I would contact them if something fell though, I had one come back and try and bid another $400 less just to pull me away. I asked them if they had the color I wanted and they said they would find one after they got a deposit. I am not sure how else I could have had them go lower before telling them that I chose someone else without bluffing. There is always next time. :)
  • Options
    dgvdgv Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Just bought a gorgeous new 2010 EX-L RES for $31698 before taxes, title, etc. Included the mudguards, wheel locks and pinstripes. I felt it was a good deal for a great car, I love my Ody! :shades:

edited to specify it was the 2010 Ody, and to add that the color I wanted was shipped to my dealer from another dealer
  • Options
    odyhunter1odyhunter1 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the twin cities area... Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it?
  • Options
    sri1sri1 Member Posts: 23
    I have being following the message board as I am interested in buying a minivan. I looked at 2011 Sienna XLE and Odyssey EXL w/RES. I got quote for Sienna for 30,066 and might get Odyssey around 30,000. I thought of asking opinions on the board what you guys might think or wait for 2011 Odyssey which edmunds currently seems to be reviewing.

Thanks
  • Options
    odyssey09inodyssey09in Member Posts: 11
    Could you please share where you received the quote for Ody 2010 EXL-RES around $30,000? I plan to buy one this weekend.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Consider this - you can still bluff without actually committing!

You have 4 guys all at the same price, all saying they can't go lower.

Pick one of the less-favorite dealers. You can say to them "thanks for working with me. I just wanted you to know that I'm planning on going to another dealer that is indicating a better offer. Since you've already told me that $XYZ is the lowest you can go, I'm sure you can't beat this other dealer, and while I'm pleasantly surprised with the great price the other dealer is indicating, of course I have yet to sign on the dotted line with them. However, they've been very clear about any hidden charges, etc. I'm gonna head over there tomorrow morning and I expect I'll buy the car, but if anything strange pops up or they try to bait and switch me, then I might be calling you back. Otherwise, I appreciate your time and I'll keep you in mind in 5 years when its time to buy my next car"

This is like catnip to a salesman. He knows he is about to lose a sale, and he therefore has a choice to hail mary with a lower price to see if he can convert you.....not much to lose cause you're already basically saying you're going somewhere else. BUT THE KEY IS you haven't yet done the deed, so he has this short window to try to catch you. You're not asking him to re-bid (explicitly) because hey, you are a trusting fellow and believe that what he gave you was already his lowest price! You're just a courteous guy notifying him rather than just buying the car without even telling him what you're doing. The OTHER KEY is that if you follow the script above, you've still left it open with this dealer......if he says "nope, I really am at the lowest price....good luck......" you could always come back in a day or so and say that the other dealer started screwing around on you, and you haven't burned any bridges.

I think I'm gonna write all this down and sell it on a late night infomercial. ;)
  • Options
    I am doing the math here. How can people bought EXL-with RES around $30,000 before TTL+DOC? The invoice price is around $32,500. I don't get it why dealer is willing to lose another $1250 or more? Not only "volume" dealer is willing to sell you at that price, started to see some other "non volume" dealers are doing it.
    Am I wrong? I am going to pick up one this weekend or next. I got an offer at $30,300 which seems good to me. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • Options
    joefar75joefar75 Member Posts: 46
    I bought an 09 Accord in December and got a great deal.
    I now need a minivan for the family.
    I know that the 2011 is coming out, but I dont need it to be THAT new, but I do want to buy new.

Does anyone know when Honda will start kicking back the dealers enough for me to get into a MSRP $30k vehicle for about $25?
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    edited March 2010
    5k off a 30k ody -- they are still way too popular for that to happen. You can lease one for $300 zero down plus taxes. 27k seems possible -- only 2k more and there is a decent selection now.
  • Options
    Yes I was surprised about this too, but its true (I bought one!). Invoice less 1250, also remember they have 2% dealer holdback....600 something. My dealer showed me the screen when I was buying it and it showed a dealer loss of almost $400. I asked how can they do this? He said "well, we figure it all evens out, and sometimes we'll make money on the trade in, or warranty sales, etc". Plus he said that there "may be" some year end volume-based incentives that go directly to the dealership from Honda that don't show in his inventory system, so they are incentivized to keep the volume moving. Plus, the bigger volume dealers get priority for new units, so my guess is if they can move some slow-selling Odysseys without losing their shirts, they will.

That said, they still didn't lose money on me because while I was satisfied with my trade-in price, it looks like they probably flipped it for a couple thousand bucks.......OK with me as I wanted to get the tax break and didn't want to risk not being able to get a good price on Craigslist (plus having to invest time having people come to my house to drive it, etc). So everyone is happy.......
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks! I still remember that a dealer offered me $28500 before TTL last year for EX-L w RES while I was on vacation by the end of June 2009. Then Honda took rebates back after July 6, then cash for clunkers program messed the whole thing up. I was not in a hurry to buy one last year. Now I really need one.
    There might be possible that Honda gives $2500 after April 5, but with low volume in stock, there is a risk you won't get one with the color wife likes.
    At least we tried hard to get the best price we can get at the time we really need one.
    Wish me luck, I am going to ask them if I can get some free accessories.... at the price $30,300 before TTL.
  • Options
    ajseaglesajseagles Member Posts: 13
    Closed the deal on my Bali Blue EX-L/RES here in NC last night.

I had a quote for $30,190+++ (less than $31,600 OTD) from a regional dealer with no dealer add-ons, but we would have had to drive a bit to get there. After a ton of back and forth from the dealer around the corner, we settled on exactly $32,000 OTD (roughly $30,590+++). This included the already-installed wheel locks and mud guards, which I did not care about. They still claimed that they lost money, but I doubt they did after I bought the 10 year/120,000 mile warranty and the Simoniz treatment/warranty for the interior and exterior. Total cost all in was still under $34,000.

Oh, and I went in pre-approved for financing at 3.99% for 48 months from an external bank, but I accepted their offer of 3.44% for 60 months.

Lessons Learned:
    --I would highly recommend that you use the zag.com/USAA/Overstock/eBay quote, at least as a starting point.
    --The internet department was the one that made the deal happen. Always start there.

Good luck to those of you still looking to buy!

P.S. "Regional" dealer I referred to was Bryan Honda in Fayetteville. Local dealer I bought from is Auto Park Honda in Cary.
  • Options
    I agree with you on the zag recommendation. I pulled the Jacksonville, Orlando, & Tampa areas and then once I got the dealer listings, I emailed a couple internet departments of other dealers in the same areas. I was able to get a slightly better price than the best zag price for my region.

I cannot wait until I need to buy another car, this has been fun. I am almost wanting to be a consultant for friends to help them get cars too. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your purchasing info, Congrats!!
    Great deal at 3.44% for 60 months. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, try to understand your e-mail clearly. You used your "regional" quote to settle the price of $30, 590+++ at your local dealer, $400 more than regional, right? how much did you pay for TTL?
    I had my pre-approval at 3.99 for 48 months from BOA, not sure if my dealer could get me 3.44% for 60 months.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    can you kindly post your quote here? thanks!
  • Options
    my first round of e-mail/internet pricing yielded 5-6 quotes from $30,567 to $31,166. In person test drive/negotiations today (at my Preferred Dealership where a distant Family Friend is the sales guy!) landed me at $31,417...he says he absolutely can't come down. I tried to do the Hogan Stretch in person and he balked. "I cannot do any better". He then said other dealerships might do shady things when I got there, add destination charges ($750 or so), etc so those internet quotes won't truly be the quoted price when I arrive.

What do you experts say? Is $31,417 a total rip-off? He doesn't *have* the color I want, but said he would get it. zag says $31,517...

Test drove and loved. Want to live in this car! :)
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The price you got is fair -- you won't squeeze enough out of anyone else to make much of a difference. One suggestion would go for an exl without the RES and save $1500. You get nothing back at resale and there are some great aftermarket units for a lot less. EXL no res 34115 msrp sell for 30040.
    If you like the van and color I see no reason not to pull the trigger. Then never look at this thread again to avoid folks raining on you deal. Not all speak the truth.
  • Options
    odysfanodysfan Member Posts: 5
    hi pa dave

$28,780 seems to be great out of the door price for EX model.
    What state are you in? how much % tax you pay ?
    Does it include the 4750 destination charges ?

thanks
  • Options
    odysfanodysfan Member Posts: 5
    i mean $750 destination charges, not 4750 destination charges
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    just go for round 2... email the others back and ask them to send you a full breakdown that includes sale price, ttl, doc fees, and the OTD number. Get it all in email from all of them. Have your family friend do the same.

then as hogan recommended, go for round 3 with the "bluff" (post# 24875) and see who is going to lower the price again. If one of them can get the car in the color you want, they all can. remember that.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " Not all speak the truth"

Horrors! That can't possibly be!!
  • Options
    that's what i have done...but sent those e-mails on Sat. afternoon. Three e-mailed back quickly - one said, "Let me see the written quote, detailed" (which I obviously don't have - he called my bluff).

The other 2 said, "I have to check with my manager on Monday to see if we can beat that price" in an e-mail. I told Family Friend I'd call him Monday to let him know. He doesn't have but can easily get my preferred color.

The breakdown w/Family Friend was...(this is a written offer)
    "your price": $31,417
    docs 100 (he said "we charge less than many others")
    Tax 2214
    Lic&Title $15 (he said this is the lowest I'll find, many charge $75+)

He's giving me a (generous) $3,500 on my trade-in (which I'd said going in, i'd be happy to get $3,500. I know i could get more in a private sale but it has enough cosmetic dings and dungs that I am in the fair-below average condition category).
    So I'd be getting the tax break you all mentioned, as the tax base is lower. It's about a $300 benefit in tax for me.

My true lowest quote is $30,567 but they didn't mention destination fee etc- if it's really that plus $750 destination charge, then i'm obviously going w/Family Friend. Because i like him and i think he's shooting straight with me. Is this prudent?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't think you did step two thoroughly. I think you still can. Just reply to all of them and ask them for the breakdown for clarification. Tell them you want to compare apples to apples to make sure they have tags, titles, blah, blah, and the OTD all there. The reason I say this is that everyone one of the quotes I got back showed a different amount for the estimated registration and title. One dealer was as low as 145$ and one was as high as $480 and NONE of them were the same.

Once you get all them in writing, then use the lowest one to get the others to lower theres. Just say to dealer A. "Look man, Dealer B is offering X, here is his breakdown. What are you willing to do to get my business?"

Right now you have more power than you think. Don't let the emotion of the situation run you off your target. They will use psychology to get you to sign quick and for more and you have to use psychology to get the best deal.
  • Options
    in addition, you said, "My true lowest quote is $30,567 but they didn't mention destination fee etc- if it's really that plus $750 destination charge, then i'm obviously going w/Family Friend."

This is why you should get the breakdown from them, because you do not know. You wont know until you ask.
  • Options
    wen2010wen2010 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for to buy 2010 Odyssey LX or EX in MA, does anybody out there get good deals on these two? sent out quota request to a list of dealers nearby, haven't get anything back yet.
  • Options
    trichardsontrichardson Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2010
    First off, thanks to all for the excellent advice on this forum. It really helped me get a good deal.

I used the USAA purchase program. It beat Costco's price. Here is what I got, they had the exact color and model on the lot that we wanted. Note - we are in the ATL area.

SALE PRICE $32,896.00
    DOC FEE 599.00
    THEFT PROTECTION 199.00
    SALES TAX (6%) 2,020.00
    TITLE/LEMON LAW 21.00
    DRIVE OUT PRICE $35,715.00

Now, I reduced that price by playing hardball with my trade-in. They tried to lowball me around $1500 on the trade-in but after some kick butt negotiation on my part I ended up actually getting more than I expected for the trade-in. All in all, a very good deal.

Love the van, it's awesome.
  • Options
    jayhawkfanjayhawkfan Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an EXL (dark grey) tonight at O'Neill Honda in Overland Park, KS (Kansas City). No entertainment system. Did get wheel locks/floor mats.

Paid $29,500 + Taxes. Was something like 29,250 plus 250 admin fee, totaled 29500.

I test drove a 2011 Sienna (the "swagger wagon" =) earlier today and have to say I really liked it, it definitely had more room. I'm 6'4" and with the drivers seat set comfortably for me, I could get in the 2nd row right behind it and was very comfortably. I can not say that about the Odyssey.

But all in all, I preferred the Honda, and looked like I could do about $1500 better with the Honda.

The Sienna's wood trim on the dashboard was seriously ugly.

Put 10k down, finance the rest at 4.9% for about $500/mo for 48mos.

Did get the 8 year/100k extended warranty for an additional $1400. Was reluctant, but got them down from 2k on that at least and can cancel for a prorated refund at anytime - full refund within 60 days.

May not be the _best_ deal out there, but I think I'm pretty darned close.

They claimed their profit was only about $200 or so.

They were very good to work with, very polite, honest and straightforward.

Would definitely buy there again.

Wife is thrilled..

I really like it.
  • Options
    Huh? Lots or people are buying EXL with RES for about 30,000 flat (in my case, 30,100). So you're telling this guy "hey just forget the DVD player, get an EXL for 30,040". For 60 BUCKS more I got the DVD.

Search back for the pros/cons of Honda DVD, but I decided to go for it because its well integrated into the car, nobody is going to be cutting my headliner when my car is brand new, and most importantly, it has a WARRANTY.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its not a "ripoff" but you know already from reading this forum that many have achieved in the low 30,000 area, so in effect you're paying $1000+ more. I don't quite understand why if you already have a quote of 30,567, you are just focusing on the quote that is 900 higher :confuse:

With all due respect to Zag, pfluck Zag.....cause Zag is telling you a higher than real price.

With all due respect to another poster, I think people on here are telling the truth. I am 100% telling the truth that I paid 30,100 for my EXL-RES, plus TTL and no BS dealer fees. I also believe others who said they are acheiving similar prices.

It would appear that perhaps the "distant family friend" is clouding your judgment and potentially impeding your ability to get the best price. It would also seem that going to this "distant family friend" is not getting you some secret backdoor awesome discount! So if there are other family-related benefits to buying from DFF, then by all means do so, but from a cold economics standpoint it appears DFF is costing you more......

By the way -- go back to my post on the Hogan Stretch. These bastige dealers who demand to see "proof" of the competing quote.......screw that. I can see how this happens depending on how you tee it up......its a subtle difference......follow me here.....

#1) hey Mr. Dealer I have another quote for $30,100....would you be willing to match or beat it? [puhleeze pretty puhleeze]

OR

#2) Hogan method - hey Mr. Dealer thanks for spending time with me. Just want to let you know I'm going to go tomorrow to another dealer that has quoted a better price - about $350 less than what you told me was your lowest price. I guess if something falls through, I might contact you again, otherwise thanks and I'll perhaps call you next time I'm in the market for a car.

Now fellas, follow me here. See who has the power in each scenario? #1 the DEALER has the power - you are GIVING it to them. You are on bended knee asking for them to do something. That is why they can demand to see "proof" and other BS. But in #2 YOU have the power - YOU are the man of action, you are breaking up with them and going to date someone else - you are going to BUY the car at a cheaper price, and not with them. And you're not ASKING them anything!!! In reality you are dangling that little lure out there if they decide to take one last chomp before they lose you, because as far as they know, tomorrow you are DONE, tomorrow you are buying a car and it will be at a competitor.

See the difference? BTW in my case, I did this stuff via phone. I think you might consider moving to phone conversations after the initial wave of quotes, esp if you do internet quotes. I am perhaps old fashioned, but I think getting subtle messages across like the Hogan Stretch are better done via voice. Harder to do via an email, cause its too likely they will just read your email and think your bluffing. When they hear it in your voice maybe they'll react better. Just a suggestion....I never tried doing a Hogan Stretch via email so maybe it would work too..... :confuse:
  • Options
    pa_davepa_dave Member Posts: 9
    I feel that it was a great price as well, seeing that I got fog lights installed as well as door edge guards and mud guards.

Sales tax here is 6%

Not sure about the destination charge. I'll give a full cost run down after I pick up the van, which BTW is supposed to be this Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • Options
    pa_davepa_dave Member Posts: 9
    hogan773 said: "I never tried doing a Hogan Stretch via email so maybe it would work too....."

I was able to go quite far on the internet using the hogan method before going into a dealer all proper-like. In my first email to the dealers, I was VERY specific about what I wanted on the van (trim level/color/options). Still, on my face-to-face visit to the "winning" dealership (last Thursday), it was suggested that several color variations were available on the lot (however, not the color that I wanted). I stood firm, reminding them that they had responded to me with regards to my inquiry, not the other way around. That night, I sent out "round 3" emails to the other 6 dealers that I was working with. I got some replies that were very positive. I went back into the dealer on Saturday and hinted that I had other options in the mix, including price points. My sales rep went directly into the manager's office, and I observed the head honcho on the phone as he made what appeared to be several calls. After 10 minutes ,my salesman came out to inform me that my vehicle would be on the lot Monday or Tuesday of this coming week.

Will let everyone know how the final round with the F&I folks goes. Until then...
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited March 2010
    Keep it up!

Now, I know how my customers learn some of their little tricks.

Everybody wants to get into the act!
  • Options
    shrnckrshrnckr Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    Just purchased a Honda Odyssey EX
    MSRP 30,615
    Paid 26,366
    Dealer add ons 281 Mud flps and cargo tray
    admin fee 149
    title+lincense fee 10
    Total drive out price 26,806
    Did not use honda financing\
    Free Paint coat and fabric coat
    Road hazard protection (cover tires)
    Towing for life
    Car washes for life
    full tank of gas
    First oil change free
    Free loaner car
    See Todd Albrecht at Frank Leta Honda O'fallon, MO and tell them the Cokers sent you
    I will get a referral fee.
  • Options
    Just bought an EX in Ofallon, MO (outside St. Louis) drive out price was 26,806
  • Options
    I am in Missouri
    Sales tax is paid at liscense burea and will be aroun 1,900
    28,780 did include the destination charges.