Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    onlytponlytp Member Posts: 3
    After a weekend of negotiation have a final quote of 25K for EX and 28K for EX-L, without the tax and DMV fees (10-11% in CA). Am still debating between EX and EX-L. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    myoungcamyoungca Member Posts: 2
    Would you mind sharing which dealership quoted you this price? I am looking to buy an EX-L because I prefer leather.
  • Options
    massyankeemassyankee Member Posts: 9
    Depending on how long you keep it, the fuel savings in the EX-L will go to partially cover the cost between the EX and EX-L.

We went with EX-L after a week of discussion. We're going to have the van as long as it runs so (for us) we decided why not spend the bit extra and enjoy it for years. Family, coworkers, and friends all said to go with leather over fabric for easy of cleanup and odor. We live near the coast here in MA and I can already see how easy it'll be to wipe the sand off. Of course you get a moon roof and power lift gate and those are both quite nice - no more crashing "BOOM" when the trunk is closed. With two kiddos and a busy road/sidewalk by our house, the backup camera is, again, a nice touch.

That all said, be sure to take the EX-L out & up to highway speeds, if you can. The variable cylinder engine (VCM) shuts off cylinders to save fuel and there have been lots of discussion about it over the years. Some, more than others, may feel vibration, noise, slight power loss, odd shifting, etc. when the VCM kicks in...and there's no means to turn it off. I found it very distracting at first and on a ride around town it was going on/off/on/off etc. etc. and greatly took away the pleasure of driving my new van. Also, Honda uses special engine mounts and a noise-cancelling sub-woofer to help 'hide the magic' going on - so there's more 'stuff' at risk of failing vs. the EX.

Good luck!
  • Options
    nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    If you can get an EX-L for 28K, I think you should buy it. That is almost as good a price as last year when they had the June incentives.
  • Options
    msuspartans73msuspartans73 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my 2010 Odyssey EX on Saturday. Here is my pricing breakdown. I used the hogan method and it was extremely helpful.

Base Price = $25,425.06
    Destination = $710.00
    Doc Fee = $190.00
    Interior Protection = $299.00
    Taxes (MI - 6%) = $1,597.44
    Title & Plate Transfer = $23.00
    Total OTD Price = $28,244.50

Purchased vehicle from Capital Honda in Okemos, MI
  • Options
    snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    What's with the dealer fee? They don't charge that around here in the Northeast. When comparing apples to apples, your base price was really $30703, which is similar to the offers in this region.
  • Options
    seattlemomseattlemom Member Posts: 6
    I see my local dealer has a leasing offer of Odyssey LX for $249 per month for 36 months. Is this a good deal?
    (we are considering leasing because our budget is limited for the next two years while husband in school, so we can enjoy it for 2 years and buy one later. also hoping all the issues with car makes will be solved by then)
    Other than the mileage requirements, how strict is it on the condition of the van? we have 3 active boys and worried how careful we have to to maintain the condition of the car such as keep it clean, etc?

Thanks
  • Options
    mossimomossimo Member Posts: 1
    Just finalized the deal for an EX.

25,600 (includes destination) + TTL.

No trade in and no financing. OTD came to 28,862 and change. 8% NY tax :(

I'm in upstate NY.

Thanks to everyone who posted....it really helped.
  • Options
    It depends - what are they asking for money down?
  • Options
    sri1sri1 Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2010
    The lowest quote I currently have is 30,216 + TTL for EXL RES. Dealer mentioned that price is going up by $1000 next month. I am not sure how much of it is true...I guess I will bite the bullet...
  • Options
    newjerseyhondanewjerseyhonda Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to everyone who posts such great information on this forum. I used all of it to get the best price possible on a 2010 EX-L w/RES. I contacted close to 20 dealerships in my area and used the "hogan" method to get an out the door price of $33,164.74. I did not use the special financing or have a trade in. Here is the breakdown:

$30,532 van including destination
    $ 2,137.24 7% sales tax
    $ 380 tag fee b/c I wasn't transferring plates
    $103 doc fee
    $12.50 PA tire tax

$33,164.74 total

I tried like heck to get the $30,000 - $30,300 van plus destination price that a lot of people on this site got, but I couldn't get there. I am in Central New Jersey and bought from a Pennsylvania dealership because their price was the lowest. I wanted to buy before the end of the month. I am posting this information because it was so helpful to see what other people paid for the Odyssey. I also believe that pricing might get a little more aggressive on the 2010s as it gets closer to the arrival of the 2011s. I needed to buy now and couldn't wait for the better deals in April. Even though this deal isn't the best that I've seen on this forum, I feel like its the best we could do in this area. The process can get tiresome and I was ready to be done with it. Good luck to everyone who is trying to purchase an Odyssey. I think its a terrific family vehicle.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's a good price for this area - best I was getting was in the $30500 area as well.
  • Options
    steady123steady123 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    My wife and I visited a honda dealership in February and test drove an Odyssey EX-L. We didn't talk price and haven't been back since then nor had any other contact with this or other dealership since. The salesman called my wife today and offered 2010 EX-L for '$2,500 below invoice'. That seems like an incredible price for an unsolicited offer. What do you think? It's possible she confused 'invoice' for 'list price' but I doubt it. We want RES+NAV and I don't know if that was discussed.
  • Options
    mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Well, that's interesting...one explanation would be if the incentive went from $1250 to $2500-so he's really offering you invoice. But that's unlikely to happen until the end of this week or next week. Also, I have been in touch with several dealers and basically told them to let me know if Honda increases the incentive--that's the only scenario in which I'm interested--but I haven't heard from anyone (in fact, considering it was the end of the month, I'm surprised at how passive the dealers I contacted have been--making me think they are moving metal pretty good.)

Another explanation is that this particular dealership needs to see x cars by Wed. to reach some kind of volume bonus, and therefore is willing to take a loss to get there.

Effectively, he's offering you the car for $1250 below invoice. The best prices anyone has posted here are around $500-$600 under invoice. If they do up the incentive at some point--say, next month, then the car will be about $300-$600 less than he just offered you, but there's a chance they won't--in which case you've got yourself a heck of a deal.

As far as a price increase---it wouldn't make any sense to up the sticker price on the 2010 model. Maybe the dealer was talking about the 2011. Or just talking about out of his a**. Wouldn't be the first time.

As far as VCM--I'm still not clear that the torque converter issue--which is the main problem everyone (well, not everyone, but those that report vibration problems, such as myself) is actually related to VCM. It may be, but I have not heard that deftinitively. I also would be hesitant to think that you're going to recoup much fuel savings from it. I'll tell you that my VCM van is always in the 18-20 mpg range--from day one.

That said, personally its EX-L or bust for me. Leather with kids is essential...and you get XM, power life gate, sunroof...
  • Options
    jk1234jk1234 Member Posts: 1
    Which dealership in PA? , Appreciate if u can let me know. i'm planning to buy ASAP.
  • Options
    njnj1njnj1 Member Posts: 2
    got a lowest price for Odyssey LX (no include destination fee) $22000.

Is this a good price?

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    mfletou1,

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but people on this board have been getting much better than $500-600 under invoice. In fact, I and others have been able to negotiate offers in the $2000+ below invoice range, for the EX-L RES, that is. In fact I got two dealers to commit at or better than $2116 below invoice. Remember, depending on the situation, some dealers are willing to give up the $1250 incentive AND the 2% holdback and then some to meet their monthly objectives. So for an EX-L RES with an invoice price of $32,766, the holdback would be $655, and the total negotiable discount would be at least $1905 ($655+$1250). Then there is more wiggle room if they make some money off financing from you (from what I understand the dealer gets paid a minimum of 1% commission from the amount financed), so you could really squeeze the blood out of them (as one dealer accused me of doing). I opted to take the $1250 dealer cash incentive to maximize the discount in lieu of taking Honda's financing promotion, and still would up with a rate lower than the promotional rate.

For an EX-L RES & NAV, with a significantly higher invoice price, $2500 below invoice is most certainly a conceivable offer.
  • Options
    That's an extremely good offer, since it is around $2500 below invoice.... you should ask the dealer to break out all the fees.
  • Options
    newjerseyhondanewjerseyhonda Member Posts: 2
    It was Ray Price Honda in East Stroudsburg, PA. I made the sale through the internet sales dept. Everyone there was great. Good luck.
  • Options
    san312san312 Member Posts: 2
    I got an quote for 25500 + 700 destination fees and TTL is this good quote
  • Options
    san312san312 Member Posts: 2
    Can you let me know the dealership name
  • Options
    End of the month and end of the quarter. Dealerships and salesmen trying to hit and exceed objectives.
  • Options
    lyndapyrlyndapyr Member Posts: 10
    I have been on the internet and phone with 4 different dealers in Arkansas. I am looking for a 2010 EXL ( no extras) the best price I have been able to get is $ 29,993 if I do not finance. sounds like others are getting better deals- but sometimes I am getting confused when the post list a lot of different values. Has anyone gotten better on the EXL in the last few days?? One dealer said did not matter if finance or not and another says incentive of $ 1250.00
    I totaled my 2007 EXL and need to make a deal very soon.
  • Options
    What state and Dealer did you get an EXL W/REs for $ 30,216????
    thanks
  • Options
    redskyredsky Member Posts: 4
    Just bought one last week, Options include splash guard, accent strip, and wheel lock.
    Total $25,986.85
    trade-in $4500
    taxable $21486.85
    processing fee 349
    business tax 65.51
    7% tax 1533.1
    local tax 80
    tag 5.5
    OTD 23519.96

I think it is a good deal, thank you all for all the information posted here. Hope my post helps you, too!
  • Options
    Taking the financing incentive will effect whether you get the $1250 or not because it is one or the other. Go to truecar.com and put all your vehicle options in. It'll break out things like the factory invoice price and such. If you can provide financing on your own (get pre-approval first), you should be able to negotiate at least $1250 plus an additional 2% of the factory invoice price. For an 2010 EXL, that translates to about $29,427. So you have at least another $500 in negotiation power. Plus, it's end of month & end of quarter. If you're willing to take a vehicle off the lot by today or tomorrow, the sales person will more than likely make it happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have gotten better pricing here in Ohio on the EX-L. Hope to share exact figures with the forum later today.
  • Options
    avalanche08avalanche08 Member Posts: 8
    Just bought 2010 Odyssey LX at Southeastern Honda, Melbourne, FL.

22,665 (includes destination) + TTL.

No trade in and no financing. OTD came to 25,008. 6% FL tax.

Got the price over email, finalized the deal in less than 30 minutes. Very friendly service. No pushing for extended warranties.

Thanks to everyone who posted....it really helped to close the deal.
  • Options
    massyankeemassyankee Member Posts: 9
    Ask for a email quote through Bernardi Honda here in MA. We're getting tons of rain today and a reply should be mighty quick. Tell them you want the incentive cash and not the financing and that you want to buy by EOD tomorrow, 3/31. That'll place you in the same boat I was. I was offered $27,900 for an EXL + $710 dest'n + $299 documentation. At least you'll have a quote to use where you are locally.

If you go with financing, are not able to close the deal by tomorrow, etc. all bets may be off. Who knows what incentives they'll have in April, however...

Good luck!
  • Options
    I got the quote from Bernardi for EXL w/RES for 30,200 dest included. I dealer I am planning to go doesn't have the color that I am looking for. One dealer told me that if you plan to get $1250 incentive you need to take the delivery of the car by 3/31 and they said if the dealer is locating the car and could not deliver by 3/31 you will not get $1250 incentive from Honda. When I raise this question with other dealers they are hesitant to give straight forward answer. One of the dealer said the incentive remained the same for April and hence they could do the deal. I am getting cold feet knowing these intricacies. Is some one on the board have good knowledge on these matters ?
  • Options
    If you have a dealer that says the incentive will be there in April, GET IT IN WRITING.

We started looking in July of 2009. Was told by a dealer person that prices good till end of July. NOT, they ended July 6th. Would not honor the quote, even though we had an email about the price good thru end of month.
  • Options
    paysensmompaysensmom Member Posts: 8
    I just got this internet offer. Is this a good deal, or can I do better?

MODEL: 2010 Honda Odyssey Touring
    MSRP: 41,465.00 including destination charge
    Your Internet price 36,812.00
    Sales Tax 2,300.75
    Vehicle Inventory Tax 62.10
    License 75.80
    Title/Registration 33.00
    2 year state Inspection 23.75
    Document Fee 189.00
    "Drive Out" Total 39,496.40
  • Options
    bellmonsterbellmonster Member Posts: 12
    Reading posts but don't see a price on what I should be paying for a 2010 EX-L with DVD and Nav. I saw $33,000 on an online pricing that i received. How does the $1250 cash incentive go? I don't want to finance at 1.9%. Can I go lower than that with the 1250 cash? Thank you.
  • Options
    srd1srd1 Member Posts: 13
    Have not been able to find recent buting experiences of folks in VA.

What should be the target price for EXL-RES and EXL-RES+NAV?

Based on others OTD price, should I target for 30000 & 32000 (with 3.17% VA sales tax)?

Planning to buy by 3/31, not sure if that is possible given only a day and half left.

Thanks for your inputs.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    All of you newcomers asking what prices you should be paying, go ahead and read a few pages back. You need to make at least some effort, like others have done. OTD is irrelevant since everything after the base price is typically standardized for your region, look at the base price. The answers are all there.
  • Options
    I have looked at many, many pages of this thread. I did not see a single one that said what a good price for the touring was. That is why I asked if the quote I got was a good one or not.
  • Options
    hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    +1

you need to spend 15 minutes reading back about 6-8 weeks on this thread, and write down some of the info.

You might not find an exact match for your STATE but there are certainly a bunch of EXL-RES mentioned (including mine) as well as others.

Also, you can do a little math to interpolate to your deal.....if you find that the EXL-RES are all going at 2000 less than invoice, then you could assume that a Touring might be able to get similar.....

Again, the targets are helpful, but you NEED TO RUN THE HOGAN METHOD (or similar) to find the best price that you can get!!!! What are you planning on doing....making one call to a dealer and saying "user 65sSYYS on Edmunds claims they got the car at 32,500, so let's do our deal now......" Good luck with that strategy.

Best luck to all.....but you gotta do a little work here. It will save you $$$ I promise.....
  • Options
    lizabethblizabethb Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your input! I actually backed away from the offer...I couldn't go through with it and worry about the engine. I test drove the 2011 Sienna XLE and was surprised at how much I liked it. Yes I know Toyota has had it's issues, but when I look at the Sienna's track record and issues I don't see anything on engine or transmission, and the acceleration issue didn't involve them. So I am going to go with the '11 Sienna (buying an extended warranty in case as usual for me).
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Guess you did what you thought was best. For us, the Toyota just did not impress us for being a new version. The two that were test driven both had more engine noise than any 2010 Odyssey. It seems like a crap shoot buying either vehicle, there are good ones and ones that give trouble.

After reading on the other Edmunds forum about the AC problems and buyback of a 2011 Sienna, that led us away from this first year model. Seems like Toyota has lost it's focus on quality, and are distracted by all the accelerator problems.
  • Options
    yeekyeek Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2010
    Wondering if this deal makes sense...

EX-L, no options, no RES, no NAV

36 month and 12k year

Zero down. Zero costs. Zero first month's payment. Zero due at signing.

35 payments of $378 per month plus Pennsylvania sales tax.
  • Options
    dgvdgv Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2010 EX-L RES for $31698 before taxes, title, etc. That price included shipping the color I wanted from another dealer, and mudguards, wheel locks and pinstripes. I live in the Tidewater region of Virginia. Hope this helps.

I can not stress how much I love my new Ody!
  • Options
    alangpalangp Member Posts: 13
    Would you mind sharing which dealership quoted you this price too?
    or could you send quote detail to my email alangp00@hotmail.com?
    I am interesting in buying EX or EXL before 4th of July. I prefer EX for reliability, but my wife like EX-L for the leather seat and sun roof. She cares less under the hood.
    Thank you
  • Options
    alangpalangp Member Posts: 13
    I tend not to pay attention to MSRP. Yeah, Honda add some small goodies to EX-L: power life-gate, rear-view mirror with back-off camera function, etc. But it does not cost that much. I don't believe Honda has much bargaining power. It's just the last year of 6-year design cycle.
    I bought my 2002 accord lx 5-speed 17k in Mar 2002, 3 months later, my friend bought the same car (ok, slight better, lx or se auto) 1500 less. The only difference between now and then is that Yen is expensive now (Note: it may not affect price of Odyssey that much because it's made in states, including engine and trannny). The question is, will Honda offer 2500 rebate soon?
    I may be wrong. Only time can tell, in 3 months.
  • Options
    I have read this thread back to January. So, I have put in MUCH more time than 15 minutes, trust me! ;o)
    We are ready to purchase the touring on Friday. I posted a quote earlier and I did not get any inpput. Does that mean it was not even close or it was? A dealer called me today and asked me what my price was to get the deal done. I honestly didnt know what to tell him. He has the touring in the color we want. He guaranteed that they would beat any price we get. I was thinking from what I have read about deals (this was back from Feb. deals though) that a great price would be 37,000 OTD. The quote I posted about 10 messages back show all of the details. But that is $2,496 less than the quote I got. Is that unreasonable? Thank you for any guidance you can offer me!
  • Options
    odyssey09inodyssey09in Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2010
    We went to buy EXL with RES after we agreed the final price of $30,700+TTL over the phone. This is a decent price in midwest, really need this badly. Make a story short, we don't like the color on EXL, but there is a EX with RES that has color my wife loves most. So my wife gave up leather seats, moon roof, other great features:-), but spent $3600 less with EX before tax. Really didn't plan for this EX that only has 5 miles on it. Test drove this, loved it. All my research was focused on EXL-RES and my mind was set for it as well. Well my wife will drive this van all the time, I am OK if she is happy even though I wanted EXL.
    Overall very happy with the purchase, great car! love the EXL with noise cancellation tech, well my wife is OK with the EX. We wouldn't buy this one if it doesn't have RES. Like other people shared that we don't want to take my new van to Bestbuy for installation. Tomorrow I am going to buy a nice Weber grill:-) by the way, sales manager and sales person were so nice and didn't push to buy any thing. Oh, forgot to mention all cars here has splash guard and small other features.
    You can get a better deal than mine, but as I mentioned that it is so difficult to get the price down in mid west if you don't have a car to trade in.
    Previously I received a quote of $30,300 with $599 doc fee at a different dealer, they told me that there was a calculation error just before I was ready to drive 130 miles to buy it. Felt so bad.
    Wish everyone good luck! I already applied the skills learned from here. Believed I tried my best and tried hard:-)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Can't comment about your OTD price because different regions have different associated fees. But your starting point for negotiation would have been 38020 (factory invoice) - $829 (holdback) - $1250 (cash incentive) = $35940, plus TTL. You'll need to forgo the Honda financing incentive. But it's now April 1st, and the incentives may have changed by now.... not to mention the start of a new month and a new quarter and the resetting of sales quotas.
  • Options
    After dealing for 4 days and researching all the post here and truecar.com, etc I finally made deal in Arkansas for $ 29,800.00 for EXL with splash guards, cargo mat and tankk of gas. I probably could have gotten a little less but was tired of the hassle. One dealer had offered a little less but did not have the color I wanted and dhe had spent all day trying to get it ( I think the other dealers were holding the white because I had been online or on the phone with them for one) the dealer I bought from had the car on the lot and the salesman was much more attentive. The dealer who had tried to get my color was the same one who 3 years ago tried to raise the price by $800.00 after we had made the deal and came back to me saying they had to charge more to get my color brought in from out of state. So I went out of state myself and visited friends and saved all but my time and gas money.
    The 29,800. is total cost plus Taxes ( as in Arkansas we pay those later directly to the revenue office) Not as good a deal as seen in the forum but guess it was best I could do here and with the time restrictions I had to purchase.
    I am now on the search for the extended warranty-- I called the dealer's finance guy and told him about the online cost and he said Honda did not even have a 8 year /120,000 mile warranty ( guess I should have had that information prior to the deal-- but will go to the dealers mentioned in the forum.
  • Options
    Congrats... it sounds like you got the car you wanted at a reasonable price. We got ours not too long ago and plan to inaugurate it on our first trip to see the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC.
  • Options
    Dealer confirmed March incentives retained for April
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My wife finally got a new van. Purchased 03-31-2010. She got the Odyssey EX-L in Polished Metal Metallic with Grey Leather.

$34115.00 Retail
    $28510.40 Sale Price
    $ 294.50 DOC and title fees
    $ 1869.42 Ohio 6.5% Sales Tax (no trade in or dealer financing)
    $30674.32 Out the Door.

No extra accessories or options on the van. Dealer had to drive ~250 miles one way to trade for the color she wanted. No extra charges for locating or getting the van. Dealer did not try to sell us any accessories, or even an extended warranty.

Transaction began by contacting several Honda internet sites. Went with the lowest price. Did not try to negotiate the price any lower.

Very satisfied with the purchase. Best part is the selling dealer is less than two miles from where my wife works. Will be very handy for service.

Dealer only had one van left yesterday when we picked up her new purchase. This time last year they had about 25 to 30 on the lot.

Dealt with the internet department of Castrucci Honda, Miamisburg, Ohio.

Waited several months for the new Sienna to make its appearance. Were really disappointed in several aspects of the 2011 Sienna. It does have some appealing features, but the Odyssey won out.