Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sellmorehondassellmorehondas Member Posts: 62
    No, it is not collusion to ask for MSRP? Stick with your day job. Over MSRP is a market adjustment. Perhaps you live in the wrong area.
    Wait, wait, wait. Such abusive language. Everyone is just trying to make a living in this economy. Plenty of Routans available.
    Bingo! Supply and demand.
    Shorter gearing in first adds acceleration, higher top gear adds to MPG. Tires, relatively meaningless.
  • jensurejensure Member Posts: 1
    I just leased the EX-L RES for 36 mo with 12,000 per year. I paid $500 total out of pocket (incl 1st month), and the payments are $479/mo incl tax. They also paid the last payment on my old car of $500. Does this sound like a good deal or did I get rippied off :)
  • bogohobogoho Member Posts: 24
    The new Nissan Quest made from Japan, based on Elgrand luxury minivan, will seriously heat up the competition. It will truly be a luxury grade minivan.

If you can, wait to test drive more choices. Even if you are dead set on a Honda, a price drop is virtually guaranteed.
  • gazenickgazenick Member Posts: 7
    All -- wanted to share purchase price of a new Odyssey Touring Elite in Texas. Thanks to all for the info on this board -- it was invaluable in the negotiations!

Car Price: $41,087 ($1,150 over invoice)

Selected Adds (these were adds I wanted...not dealer forced): $1,346 (included roof rails / cross bars; splash guards and front-window tint)

Dealer Fees: $133

TTL: $2,860

OTD: $45,426

As noted, supply is still very short on these, but that doesn't mean there isn't dealing to be done. I'm sure I could have done a bit better on the adds had I purchased later, but it just wasn't worth the time to have to come back around to do this...I wanted the car delivered as I wanted configured and was willing to pay just a bit more for that.

Good luck to all!
  • azkid2azkid2 Member Posts: 47
    Drove through a wind/sand storm on I-8 west of Yuma on the way to SD, so went to the closest dealer to replace my air filter. While there I priced the 2011 Tourings and they want MSRP with no add on fees other than TTL. They would go $1,500.00 under invoice in the 2010 Touring, or in lieu you could get 1.9% or 2.9% financing. They even had a brochure for the 2011, which my home dealer couldn't seem to find.
  • clermontflclermontfl Member Posts: 108
    ask for a cheaper price...negotiate hard with dealer...beat them down..into a pulp.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited October 2010
    Just a question...

I realize I have simpler tastes than others but I have to wonder (out loud) why anyone would want to pay a ton of extra money for a Touring Elite?

It just seems (to me) that those (again, to me) silly extras wouldn't be worth the extra expense? I mean, who really NEEDS all of those extras?

Just curious, that's all.
  • sda33sda33 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everybody,
    I have benefited a ton from this forum. Purchased the Celestial Blue EXL-RES in AL. I priced the EXL all along, and upgraded to EXL-RES in the last minute before buying. I paid 350 above invoice plus 780 dest plus 499 doc plus Tax plus Tags plus 299 for security package.

South florida dealers showed me the stars. 37.9 out the door was the best offer for EXL. Separate sales guys from 4 dealerships in S.FL(Ed Morse, Braman, DelRay and Stuart Honda) tell me that the sales managers are talking to each other and decided that they would NOT SELL lower than MSRP $, Instead of waiting for them for them to show mercy, I decided to go to New Jersey to buy and drive back.

I found the deal closer home and picked up the vehicle 600 miles away. Fly out sat morning - Dealer rep picks me up around noon and I take delivery in dealership 20 mins after I step in. Drove 600 miles to get back home.

Thanksgiving is 3 weeks away. Please wait for deals if you can wait. Happy shopping.
  • luvinlifeinflluvinlifeinfl Member Posts: 19
    Im guessing that was from Treadwell Honda in Mobile AL? I went in to see that very same car as Ive been hunting the Celestial Blue and they said they had just sold it to someone flying up from Jupiter, FL. I just bought mine yesterday and will pick up Wednesday.
    It's funny about those managers at dealerships, obviously they don't think the 5 mile radius around their dealership is in a Recession. When those same managers see those same cars/trucks sitting on their lots on Christmas, they can drive those cars to the Flea Market and buy Christmas presents soon as they look at their commission checks.

Guess some people fall in love with cars sitting on their lots, and cry if they are sold.
    I have just sold my third Elite and have taken an order for another one. Why does anyone buy Lexus, Mercedes, BMW? People have their own preferences. I have found that showing people the value, seals the deal.
    Seriously? Nissan Quest? Not even in the same atmosphere. You are seriously funny!
  • odyssey4usodyssey4us Member Posts: 45
    Just thought I'd pass it on that if you search in cars.com or autotrader in your surrounding area for 2011 Odysseys, you might see that some dealers have as many as 25 new vans sitting on their lots. That has to be good for buyers, so just give it a little time and save yourself some money, maybe even below invoice. Good luck and please keep posting prices paid. Thanks.
  • life_is_simplelife_is_simple Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to this forum and this thread in particular, I was able to get my 2011 Odyssey touring for $400 over invoice in n/w ohio, It helped that I was there on the last day of month and they had the van in stock, as the same dealer rejected a $500 over invoice offer earlier that week.

I also had to pay for dealer installed mud guards and nitrogen. Was planning those anyway although not too happy about they charging 59.99 for nitrogen, the other dealer had the same charge too.

2011 Odyssey Touring - OTD was 40667. Only other extra was $250 doc fees which dealer said was required by Ohio, did not have enough info to fight that..:-) so I let it go.

Was originally looking to get a touring elite, offered the same deal $400 over invoice. The lowest offer I got was $41777 reject that one as the other dealer had given me a $1000 over invoice offer only till end of Oct (That may be a dealer trick). I'm glad that I did not buy Elite, I don't think the extras are worth the extra money.
  • 3under53under5 Member Posts: 15
    A local dealer has said he'd like to see my best quote (Bobby Rahal) before trying to meet it. Is there any reason not to forward that email to him? I'd be happy just to get the deal done at the price I was offered. However, I don't want any games. Otherwise, we are more than happy to make the trip.

Any advice is appreciated!
  • honda250rhonda250r Member Posts: 8
    Dear Isellhondas,

The answer to your question in one word is safety. There is a reason highline vehicles include HID headlights and blindspot warning systems. They are safer, and people want to buy safer cars. They help prevent more avoidable accidents. For anyone who has trouble with seeing while driving at night, the HIDs make a very large difference in nighttime visibility and the blindspot warning system is very helpful, particularly when two cars are trying to merge into the same lane on the highway. Add these to the Ultrawide Rear Entertainment System and 650-Watt AM/FM/CD/Hard Disk Drive (HDD) 15GB Memory Premium Audio System with 12 Speakers including Subwoofer and 5.1 Surround Sound Theater Mode and some people believe it is worth the extra $2,200 invoice to invoice over the touring model. The things I mentioned above do not include the options when you make the jump from EX-L to Touring. Third-row armrest and window shade, 6 speed trans, better fuel economy, acoustic windshield, heated side-mirrors with turn indicator, 18" wheels with better/safer tires, both rear entertainment and Nav, 15gb vs. 2gb hard drive (who doesn't want to put 400 cd's worth of music in their car?) and key specific, 2 position memory seats. This van has never been about "needs." Plus...my wife really likes it. Is there a better reason than that?
  • otter8otter8 Member Posts: 3
    Can you state the dealer you got the $400 over invoice deal from? I live in NW Ohio (near Toledo) as well. Thanks.
  • mikescmikesc Member Posts: 21
    Honda Takes a Hit

by Gary Morrow

Honda Motors (HMC) is getting hit hard this morning after the company lowered ring its global sales target. The automaker reported its third quarter results last Thursday, and despite a profit increase of 37% from last year, the results came in below consensus estimates. The stock was off a bit Friday on light trade and remained very close to its October highs. Today's steep 4% decline is being sparked by the company's expected drop in demand from the key U.S. market. Honda Motor (HMC)
  • newpilot1newpilot1 Member Posts: 9
    Wait!! I've seen transport trucks lined up to deliver Odyssey's to dealers 'cause these things are HOT, HOT, HOT and selling like crazy at close to MSRP!! Okay, back to reality. I will not pay over invoice, I will wait because every dealer around me (and there are many) has at least 10 (some many more) on their lot.
  • pilotodysseypilotodyssey Member Posts: 24
    Adding to mikesc and newpilot1.....

Honda Motor Co., Japan’s second- largest carmaker, fell the most in almost five months in Tokyo trading after the company lowered its second-half earnings outlook.

Honda dropped as much as 4.4 percent, the most since June 7, to 2,807 yen and traded at 2,812 yen as of 10:16 a.m. in Tokyo. It was the second-largest decline among companies in the Nikkei 225 Stock Average, which fell 0.1 percent.

The automaker expects to earn 92 billion yen ($1.1 billion) in net income in the six months ending March 31, compared with an earlier forecast for 105 billion yen in profit, according to a Bloomberg calculation based on the company’s first-half earnings statement on Oct. 29.

Honda revised its outlook as the yen trades near a 15-year high against the dollar, reducing the value of overseas earnings. The Tokyo-based maker of Accord sedans also lowered its full-year global vehicle sales forecast to 3.615 million units from an earlier estimate of 3.64 million, citing weaker demand in North America and Europe.

Sales in North America aren’t recovering as much as Honda earlier expected, Executive Vice President Koichi Kondo said.
  • pilotodysseypilotodyssey Member Posts: 24
    Sales by Japanese automakers, which benefited from the “cash for clunkers” program, will fall more than the overall market, analysts said. Toyota Motor Corp.’s deliveries may drop 29 percent and Honda Motor Co. may decline 27 percent, the average of four analysts’ estimates. Nissan Motor Co.’s sales may slide 24 percent, the average of four estimates.

Toyota’s share of the U.S. auto market will sink to 15.6 percent from 17.9 percent a year ago, the largest decline among major automakers. Toyota recalled 1.1 million Corolla and Matrix models last week for problems with stalling, which adds to the more than 8 million vehicles it recalled in the last year for defects linked to unintended acceleration.

‘Surprisingly Weak’

Toyota’s “surprisingly weak” sales also could be driven by “sharply increased competition from Honda, which started offering very generous deals to buyers,” Barclays Capital analyst Brian Johnson wrote in a note last week.

Honda boosted discounts by 66 percent from a year earlier while Nissan raised incentives 28 percent, and Toyota lifted them 27 percent.
  • kvn1kvn1 Member Posts: 52
    Exactly, DO NOT pay above invoice, only a few "not smart" people would pay MSRP for a Van. Every single dealer in Orange County even still 5-10 2010 on their lot, and I checked inventory for 2011 everyday and they are not selling well. Cerritos and Corona Honda already quoted me 1k off MSRP, I expect it will soon 2-3k off MSRP in 3 more months. With 3 k saving from MSRP I could take a good vacation for the whole family instead of paying MSRP for a "Van"
  • sda33sda33 Member Posts: 2
    NO.
    Tell your new dealer to make the deal based on the condition that you will walk in with the email quote PRINTOUT. This way the dealer you are TRYING to convince will not mess up the deal you have in hand.

Also check out the DOC fees as they vary from 133 to 499. Destination is same anyway, while Tax and Tags vary by your location.

Finally, if they cant give you the vehicle at a ceratin price, they CANNOT, irrespective of what you show them. When you put in the condition like I said, they have to honor the deal(If they sold even one vehicle to a person who was a skilled negotiator). We are essentially using the Quote in hand to make up for lack of skill.
    sda33
  • ccone1ccone1 Member Posts: 7
    Actually it due to lower US dollar, Toyota have the same problem with currency. Toyota is hinting they may raise price soon, so just a matter of time in a few months for all Foreign car maker.
  • ccone1ccone1 Member Posts: 7
    Well please let me know when you see 2K off.

thanks
  • agrawalagrawal Member Posts: 49
    edited November 2010
    Does not matter how many times you e-mail them they will keep saying did not get it. If they want to sell the vehicle they will agree on price over the phone in less then 10 minute. Otherwise move on to next dealer. usually price is better 50-60 miles away as they do not consider you as a local customer and want the piece of pie from other dealers area. i bought my elite few weeks back with very little over invoice. You can have the vehicle for few hundred over invoice right now. make sure to ask for doc fee as it varies. Invoice , destination, holdback is same no matter where you go in continental USA.
  • 3under53under5 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks sda33 and agrawal. I somehow felt it wasn't a good idea so waited to see what replies were. Really, I'd rather just give my business to the person who is the most straightforward and is willing to make a reasonable profit. So far, this means making the drive.
  • poryanporyan Member Posts: 3
    We stopped to check out yet another dealer in Orange County, CA and found them surprisingly ready to make a deal. Got the van for 39187 + Tax and Lic. That makes it approx 1500 above invoice and 2300 below MSRP. This was at Hardin Honda, Anaheim. The deal was done in 30 mins.

Just wanted to know if they had the Touring in stock but came back with the Van :-). I'm sure in the next few months - if not sooner- invoice pricing will be back.
    You are in California! You do not even count. Worst business environment ever(except for New York). I used to live there. Rolling blackouts. High taxes. Incompetent state government. Why would you even contemplate buying an Odyssey? Take a vacation from California and find out how much further your money goes.
  • kvn1kvn1 Member Posts: 52
    funny response :-)

did you see how many Odyssey in CA? :-)
  • condo56condo56 Member Posts: 13
    I have been on this forum for 2 weeks. When I started out I was trying to learn how to purchase a car without getting taken advantage of. This forum has been tremendous in my negotiations. I felt like I was getting ripped off at a dealership and I did some research and started posting here and I was getting ripped off. They wanted me to pay a Gross Cap Cost of 38,000 for a 10 odyessey with Nav and Res. The lease pmt was 460 (then they went up to 480 after I told them to reduce trade amount) per month. They were giving me ALOT for my trade but inflating the cost of the vehicle. I did some shopping after learning what people were paying here, and also educating myself on how to calculate lease payments and what gross cap cost/residuals and money factors actually meant.

I just traded in my 08 Honda pilot VP for a 10 odyessey with Nav and REs and paid 32900 for the car (Gross Cap Cost 33500)!!! My lease pmts are 412.00 with tax. I am so greatful for this forum and for all the info on Edmunds. It saved me lots of money.

This was an invaluable tool! Thanks to everyone for your help and advice!
    Glad you made out well, I also purchased my 2010 with res/nav for under 32K, it'salways surprising when the sales guy try to pull the oldest trick in the book showing you the Fake pictures of all the kids they have, making you think they have to feed a family of 10 kids. Some of the family members in the pictures still have the walmart photo frame sku on it. ha ha ha...LOL...!!! ;)
  • hitchens97hitchens97 Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I hear Google is looking to move to Texas, because of the lifestyle, abundant supply of top young grads, tech ecosystem, and because of their tolerance of anybody who is not a straight white Christian.
    The only thing that will save California's economy is if the plates Shift again, and it breaks off from the rest of the US and sinks into the Pacific. ;)
    It was Jim White Honda where I picked my van from, had a better time dealing with them as compared to Brown honda.
  • ody42ody42 Member Posts: 4
    I'm a new buyer looking to purchase a 2011 Touring Elite and have a few questions. I know there are no special financing offers at the moment but for those that have used Honda Financial Services in the past for special financing (low APR) were you able to get a purchase price close to closer to invoice or was the vehicle price higher than if you brought your own financing?
    Based on my experience they are 2 separate things, you can negotiate your price for the car first, then comes financing at that point you can select the best rate that they have to offer, does not have to be Honda Finance. In my case I got 2.99 for 60 months thru chase via my dealer, this was for 2011 model.
    Always have the info as to what rates you can get outside that will help you in being prepared to choose between dealer offered and outside.

Good luck!
  • luvinlifeinflluvinlifeinfl Member Posts: 19
    The internet sales person at this dealership is one of the rudest people I have spoken to. He basically hates any reference to Edmunds.com. KBB values and the biggest sore point was Consumer Reports. He went into a huge rant about how dare they dictate the prices dealers should sell at and told me that I should call Consumer reports and tell them to reduce their prices and see how far I got. On top of this rude conversation he followed up with an email, saying he would take the price I offered now and that I could collect my Odysessy in March!

He no longer matters to me as I have already purchased a 2011 Odysessy at a reasonable price but I would like to prevent anyone from wasting their time by contacting Tameron Honda in Daphne, AL unless you want to pay MSRP. :mad:
    Obviously, he's the typical salesman who is in Love with the Inventory sitting on his/her car lot. Again thinking these vehicles are made of Gold. Truth be Told, competition is what drives America, and what's finally dictates what we pay for things. Guess he missed Economics in high school, Oops...that's why he works at a car lot. ;)
    I haved sold Odysseys in CA. Used to live there. Thankfully, I moved out early enough to avoid the mess that is there now. I don't miss the rolling blackouts and ridiculous trafffic.
  • bbctldsbbctlds Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2010 Touring for $35,000 (incl. destination and doc fee) + tax & license in NJ this week. It took some haggling but I think I got a pretty good deal.
  • gsr777gsr777 Member Posts: 2
    What is the best rate we can Negosiate with the Delear I need to buy the car in Two weeks please, Any suggestion thanks for help in Advance, Please Let me know how much we spend OTD for both the models.

GSR
  • gsr777gsr777 Member Posts: 2
    Can you please send me your Invoice and can deal with a Delar in Atlanta.

Thanks
    GSR
  • bsiebenal49bsiebenal49 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at inventory numbers of 2011 Honda Odysseys in a 500 mile radius of SW Florida... I only see about 100-130 total Odysseys in that area based on Edmunds inventory check. Lincoln can produce 300,000 Odysseys a year or 25,000 per month. Where is all the inventory? You would think in a 3 state area (GA, ALA, FL), 6% of U.S., there ought to be about 2,000 to 3,000 or so new Odysseys assuming production started about September 1, 2010. That may be on the high side... but certainly 100+ is low. I wonder how honest everyone is being about inventory levels or are they being artificially pushed lower by dealers wanting to sell at MRSP. Honda may also be holding stock in Lincoln until sales get tight.

Bernie
  • ody42ody42 Member Posts: 4
    The online inventory numbers are much lower than what I've seen at local dealerships (50 mile radius). One dealer I visited this past week had 5+ EX-L models on the lot. However only one is listed online.
  • condo56condo56 Member Posts: 13
    I just bought my 2010odyssey for 32,500 EXL RES/NAV. Went to several dealers and they tried to get me for full MSRP. Finally got one way down on last day of month.
  • liouliou Member Posts: 2
    Hi, does your model including DVD player?