Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I don't "take issue" with well-equipped compacts. I am simply pointing out that they face competition from cars in addition to other economy (albeit well-equipped) compacts, because of their price.

Re mpg... please see your earlier comment re (paraphrasing) $30-40 a month is no big deal. If it's no big deal when cross-shopping two compacts, it is no big deal when cross-shopping a compact that gets 40 mpg highway and a mid-sized car that gets mid-30s highway.

Note I said "well-equipped". You are talking about "loaded" cars. Two different things.

Certainly if someone wants a small car, for ease of parking etc., they won't be interested in mid-sized sedans. But then the other shoe I mentioned drops... slightly-used near-luxury compacts, e.g. G37, Lexus IS, 3 Series, C Class. (Example from my area: 2008 328 xi, BMW Certified, $24k.) Also in that price range are excellent new small cars like the Golf (gas or TDI).
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Where are you getting your FE numbers? Chevrolet says the Cruze tops out at 40MPG. Ford says the 2011 Focus tops out at 35MPG highway and has yet to publish 2012 Focus MPG specs.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The Cruze ECO gets 42 hwy I think but that is going to be a very small proportion of Cruze purchases IMO. Ford has released lots of comments stating that the new 2012 Focus will get 40mpg hwy in all versions like the Elantra. Even though the official mpg numbers from the EPA aren't out yet for the Focus, the fact that Ford has been making statements to that effect lead one to believe that will be the case.
  • Options
    overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    The focus will not get 40mpg in all versions. They just said you will be able to get 40mpg with an auto in the Focus. Ford's ordering guide listed an SFE package just like the Fiesta has that couples the automatic with some other features to boost mileage. Dont expect 40mpg in Focus with a stick or in the top trims. If the Fiesta needs an SFE package to hit 40mpg with a 1.8L engine I dont see the Focus hitting that figure without some sort of package.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Just came back to see if the bickering had stopped...still seems to be some. :( The driver reviews have been very informative so let's all please focus (lol) on those...makes this forum much more interesting. Looking more & more that the Verano would fit our needs much better...we're just not a Chevy family. And the time frame will work for us, as we're looking out about another year or so.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Actually, the Eco gets 40 highway. Non-Ecos get 35-36: http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/en/overview/11_Spec_Sheet_Cruze.pdf

For Ford's sake, and for consumers, I hope the new Focus can get 40. Better fuel economy benefits everyone except the petroleum industry, who right now doesn't seem to have any problem making money.
  • Options
    I had read that several times but did no real research. Sounds like you have so will have to take your word for it. However, it's always possible the Focus will get 40mpg hwy and the SFE version will do better like the ECO version of the Cruze. Either way it sounds like it's mpg numbers will come in somewhat higher than the Cruze for the mainstream versions.

I think the Fiesta is more thought of as a city car and not a highway cruiser so they probably concentrated on the city mpg in gearing. Lots of small cars get the very close to the larger models in hwy mpg but there combined and city is a lot better. So concentrating on just the hwy numbers doesn't paint the whole picture.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    "The average family sedan with an automatic doent get mid 30s on the highway, more like 33mpg. With the Cruze you can get 42mpg"

How can you compare an automatic family sedan to the Cruze eco which is stick only and gets about 6 mpg better than its stablemates?

Not too many family sedans only get 33 mpg highway. Accord 34, Camry 34, Civic 36, Elantra 40, Corolla etc. etc. I suppose fusion and Malibu get worse than 33, but not by much, but they are offset by so many others.

Remember that the Cruse is just a tad bigger than a Corolla or Civic and about the same size as a Mazda 3. It is much closer in size to those small cars than the Accord or Camry. So really when comparing to cars its size the Cruze is about average if you don't get the ECO.

Not an issue to me since the ECO is what I have my eye on. I will wait until CR does some real world testing to see if the ECO is all that of just some puffed up numbers. I am optimistic it will deliver.
  • Options
    dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    How can you compare an automatic family sedan to the Cruze eco which is stick only and gets about 6 mpg better than its stablemates?

The Cruze ECO is available with an automatic. The 6-speed stick is standard.

It's tough to look at C&D and MT tests and get an idea of what your mileage will actually be. My guess would have the boy racers at these mags putting the ECO at 28-29MPG (average) in their tests.

The ECO would make a great commuter car though. The ultra-tall 6th gear is great for highway drivers.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Eco does have an automatic, but then the mileage is not 42 anymore.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Several posts have been moved to our new Compact Sedans discussion. Please visit that topic to continue comparing various vehicles in this class.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    adh1074adh1074 Member Posts: 2
    I had 2009 Cobalt in at the dealer for a LOF, and test drove a Cruze. I got a $25 gift card for doing the test drive. The Cruze has nice dash, but the seating, for me, was no better, if not worse, than the Cobalt. I also noticed a loud wind noise from the passenger window, and there was not a cruise control on the car. No cruise control on LS models. When I returned to the dealer, I opened the hood and trunk. The hood needed a support to stay open. The trunk uses hinges. In the past, my cars with trunk hinges, crush luggage. The Cobalt has struts to open the hood and trunk. I like the struts better, even if you lose three inches in the trunk opening. Went back a few weeks later, and purchased a 2011 HHR. Twelve days later GM sent me an email telling I lost $2,600.00 in rebates, by purchasing the HHR in December 2010.
  • Options
    Twelve days later GM sent me an email telling I lost $2,600.00 in rebates, by purchasing the HHR in December 2010.

That is incredible. Must have been quite a letter, e.g. "Greetings! Just wanted to let you know you lost out on $2600 in rebates. Thank you for your contribution to GM's improving finances." :P

I am surprised the LS did not "sit" better than the Cobalt. The driving position on the Cobalt was always a problem for me, but I found the Cruze 1LT to be quite comfortable. Did you notice if the LS has the dual height adjusters on the driver's seat? I really like that feature on the 1LT, it's pretty rare in this class now (used to be more common).
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    recently compared a 2011 chevy cruze with a 2011 hyundai elantra..no contest,the elantra won hands down with it's standard features,power,warranty,and looks,and gas milaege.
  • Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    How did you compare the gas mileage?
  • Options
    overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    They are doing a test drive event at many locations in 2011. Mainstreetinmotion.com- should be a good way to check out the Cruze without going to the dealer. Thats probably when I will get a chance to drive one- not just sit in one.
  • Options
    adh1074adh1074 Member Posts: 2
    The driver’s seat of the Cruze did seem low, and it may have the adjustments. The Cobalt has a height adjustment that I have played with, but never used.

Chevrolet has been given pdf copies of all the information about the $2,600.00, but I think the emails were forwarded to the “I know nothing about rebates” crowd.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads-up. The event in my area isn't for another nine months, but I have registered.
  • Options
    How's this for a deal on a new Cruze: free! This weekend, if you buy a Tahoe, Silverado, or Suburban at a Chevy dealer in my area, they will give you a 3-year, 36k lease on a Cruze for free. I have a feeling that this is a bare-bones LS and you can forget about much if any discount on the truck, but it's a good sales gimmick. A couple of years ago I remember a local dealer (not sure if it's the same one) was offering a similar deal, but was giving away an Aveo (not a lease, you own it) with the truck.
  • Options
    smilonsmilon Member Posts: 6
    I traded my1999 Corvette C5 for a Cruze. I have owned many Chevys from the last century, but this is the best. I was surprised how fast the 1.4 turbo was in comparison to the Vette.The C5 was a Mallet Corvette with cold air induction and stainless exhaust,5.7 liter.The Cruze's ride is better than my Cobalt. I was just at the St. Louis Auto show and tried out the Camry and Hyundai and Kia. The interior of those cars did not match my Granite Black Cruze. I confess that this car handles extremely well at 85mph. I'm 58 and I thought the bluetooth and Nav system was something I wouldn't use-WRONG. I love the steering wheel mounted controls, although I feel weird talking to my car to make a call.The Stereo is comparable to the Bose system in my Vette. The Chevy display had the Cruzes off to one side at the auto show. It should have been up front with the Volt.
  • Options
    carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    I gotta admit that ECO commercial was quite entertaining. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Do you mean the one with the old people in the rest home (or whatever)? I thought that was the worst commercial of the Super Bowl. IMO it sent an entirely wrong message, and also managed to denigrate the generation that was one of Chevy's--and GM's--biggest supporters. Now, the Cruze ad with Facebook was much better, but did nothing for me personally because the ability to have the car read Facebook entries to me while I drive has absolutely no interest for me.

When you have a new compact that is at or near the top of the class in interior quality, fuel economy, safety, and ride/handling, why focus an entire $3M ad on a feature like that? :confuse:

Personally I think having Grace Park driving around in her red Cruze every week on Hawaii Five-O is a better use of Chevy's promotion money than those Super Bowl ads.
  • Options
    aldanaldan Member Posts: 19
    Please start a thread for CHEVROLET CRUZE ECO 2011 :shades:
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options
    aldanaldan Member Posts: 19
    Its a unique option from the lineup and is being jumbled within the main thread.
  • Options
    Start it if you want, but I suspect you'll find yourself rather lonely there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    It's just a trim line with a different powertrain and a few different options. In the grand scheme of things it's no different than a midsize sedan that offers 4 & 6 cylinder engines and maybe a hybrid or turbo option (Fusion, Camry, Sonata, etc.).

If it was a different model altogether then a separate listing would be warranted (i.e. Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is a different CUV than the Outlander which has ES, SE, XLS, and GT trim lines).
  • Options
    A reporters seeks to interview a recent car buyer who opted for an Elantra or Cruze after considering Corolla. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Monday, February 14, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    icyou812icyou812 Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2011
    My initial impression is that it is a well built car inside and out. Interior materials are top notch. The seats are hard as a rock to me though, and that's saying something because I drive a Honda. It was kinda hard to get in and out of, I hit my head both times. (I'm 5' 10") Also the steering wheel doesn't swing up far enough for me to swing my legs under easily. Back seat would be fine for younger kids. The automatic shifted very odd before it warmed up, with a longer than usual pause between real soft shifts. Seemed ok after it warmed up. The 1.4 turbo has decent pickup to it, though not a race car. The best thing about it was how quiet it was. I would like to see how the eco with a manual trans. drives, as I prefer to row my own gears. I haven't driven any other small cars so I don't have anything else to compare it to. I did drive a Mazda iSport 6 and a Sonata GLS last week, but it's not fair comparison size wise. I'd say though the Cruze is worth a look if you find it comfortable.
  • Options
    cruzeecoownercruzeecoowner Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Cruze eco model about two weeks ago. I can't believe I'm averaging 39 mpg in mixed driving in hill country on the first two tanks of gas. I would have been happy with 29 in the kind of driving I do in hilly terrain of SW Pennsylvania. The car does seem to kind of glide without much effort and I drive it conservatively on the highway letting it coast down hills at times around the speed limit--often having to slow it down a bit. The high range gears also pull hills better than I expected--even the 6th gear. The car is also fun to drive in the city where I work and must commute during the work week. It is quick, with more feedback and precise handling than I'd expected even after a test drive. So far this car is exceeding expectations, particularly in the fuel efficiency and fit/finish categories. I could see it easily doing an average of 45 mpg on a long highway trip, driving at reasonable speeds. I don't know if this info helps to justify a thread but it is a very interesting car because of gearing and special treatments on wheels/tires and exterior that seem to work.
  • Options
    Is it an auto or a stick?
  • Options
    ECO is only available with the 1.4 Turbo and a 6MT.
  • Options
    Just had a lightbulb moment. I was having this same debate about 2 mo ago with someone and they kept saying things that didn't make sense. Or rather they accused me of stuff that didn't make sense and now I know why. The Cruze CAN be purchased in Cda in an auto. Stick is std, auto is optional. I just looked in the brochure I picked up from my local dealer 2 mo ago.

So...those are impressive real world figures for an Eco stick, even if it sounds like he drove quite gently. I would like to see the shutter mechanism on the front grill. It strikes me as something prone to trouble in salt conditions and dirt roads. Like shutters in a heavy truck, they screw up, and if the mechanicals don't, then the sensors and wiring connections do. Ecos have still not arrived in Cda last i checked so I can't see one up close. While it has stuff to give it the extra edge in mileage (the shutters and the LRR tires being the biggest difference) I still think it was a huge mistake for GM to not offer the stick right across the entire trim line. Here, if you want a stick, the Eco is the only turbo option there is.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    According to GMinsidenews.com, Lordstown workers have been told that the Cruze will have a diesel option available for the 2013 model year.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Wow!!! Now if they are smart enough to offer it with a stick, it might be worth waiting for. I sure hope it happens either way. The more diesel presence in this country, the better. Did they say it will be an Isuzu? I guess it will be whatever they have in Sweden. The diesels are incredibly powerful. Enough so, to twist the gas jobs inside out. And give better FE while they are doing it.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    edited February 2011
    I suspect it will be Daewoo-based, as they will be making the 2.0 liter turbo diesel for the Australian and Asian markets. It is supposedly a new design that is not yet released. It is not the diesel currently offered in Europe from all reports, and is allegedly much more quiet and refined than that engine.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Interesting. I almost prefer old and proven tho.
    I guess beggars shouldn't be choosers. 2013 is a long way off.

That is why the wait too I'll bet. It likely is 'cleaner'. (which means there will be more to go wrong trying to burn our sulphur starved fuel over here). Then people might get down on diesels all over again. Why don't we just frig COPY Europe? UK, German and Sweden are not irresponsible, throw-caution-to-the-wind polluters..
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    I think it's great they are planning for a design that will meet the EPA's silly requirements.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Yes it is and it should be good for 45mpg highway!

2013 Cruze Diesel

How does 35mpg combined for $20K grab you? :blush:
  • Options
    I wish it was AWD and avail right now in a more perfect world. I am still on the fence with the seat back though. Have to spend more time in one to be more sure. Have you seen the u tube? I posted it elsewhere earlier today. Guy in Sweden i think does a top speed run. Very strong runner even to 100. I think 60 was 8.5 and u could tell the guy wasn't even trying hard.
  • Options
    kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    Can anyone elaborate on the reliability/dependability of a small displacement turbo engine like the Cruze uses? How many logged miles can one anticipate getting provided the maintenance is kept up? What extra upkeep and maintenance goes with owning one? If the turbo does go out, does it mean the whole engine goes out, or just the turbo? Finally, does anyone know what the "ballpark" cost would be to replace or fix this type of engine? Sorry for all of the ?, just trying to find some info. on these "new" engines that seem to be becoming more and more popular. Thanks to all!
  • Options
    Some things to consider is: (and this is assuming GM's design is a good one on this new engine) I would change the oil and filter at twice the interval that GM probably recommends. I would use the best oils, probably a full synthetic if that they that is ok. It might even be stipulated. I also would not drive aggressively for the last 30 seconds at which point you shut the car off. Especially if you raced up your street racing to make a nature call at home or if u lived a top a hill. This would spool the turbo quite fast, and unless there has been provision for a gravity feed oil feed to lube the turbo bearings, after the engine has been shut off, this will cause the turbo to have a lot shorter life. (100k ?) and 200k or more if the above mentioned care is considered.

Turbo's create a lot heat, even more in a gas engine than on a diesel. So that is one of the reasons to have really good oil and changed often.

I have wondered the same questions you have. They were very good questions and indicate you are an intelligent and forward thinking car shopper. I have searched and so far have not been able to find much info in terms of whether this is a good engine or not. They did use a cast iron block, and while it makes the engine heavier, that is a good thing for strength and sturdiness, and diesels work under a lot higher compression ratio, so to me, that is a sign of some good thinking they have engineered in. (but it is cheaper to mfg than an aluminum block too tho, so it's not a conclusive indicator) ha
  • Options
    merikmerik Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone. I am new to this, but I have been reading the posts and wanted to share our experience. We purchased our Cruze two nights ago and have been very pleased. We live in mountains of New Mexico at an altitude of 7600'. My wife commutes 60 miles round trip every day. The first 10 miles from our home the altitude rises 1000', to 8600'. For the next 16 miles the elevation drops to 4600' in Alamogordo. This, of course, reverses when she comes home. The only saving grace is at each end of the drive the engine is gliding and has cooled off after the long uphill pulls. Since we have not filled the tank yet, I am relying on the average mpg display on the dash, and it is telling us we are getting 37.4 mpg. I did reset the avg. Mpg before she left home yesterday morning, so the calculations. The car is a 1LT, 1.4 turbo, 6 speed auto. We have no buyers remorse.
  • Options
    I should have mentioned the other few miles is from driving around in town. I also lost my train of thought about the calculations. Meant to say " the FE calculations were based on one trip only".
  • Options
    samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    That is very good fuel economy considering the mountains. Very good even not considering the hills. I guess what you burn going up, you get a break on going down. And the car is quite new. In a couple thousand miles it will likely do better still. Have you had to use the A/C yet? If so how would you rate it compared to your last car? What does the owner's manual say for breakin period miles and when is the first oil and filter change? And what type oil does it call for?

Sam
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited March 2011
    We'd look at a 2LT auto with the 1.8 engine as don't want or need a turbo down in South Florida. But we'll 1st check out the Buick Verano as I think the interior might be a bit more upscale and the wife came from a Buick/Cadillac family to begin with. Good luck with the ride though & please keep me posted. More details as to color, wheels...etc? :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    I am pretty sure you can't get the 1.8L in the 2LT, or 1LT or LTZ for that matter--I think only the LS has the 1.8L.

I got my first ride in a Cruze today, but as a front seat passenger. It was a white LTZ with black interior. It was quiet, and the ride seemed compliant even with the large wheels. However, the roads were pretty smooth. I think I need to stop using Hertz, where I usually get stuck in a Versa, Yaris, or Corolla (which is a "mid-sized" car to Hertz), and try Avis, which had several Cruzes on their lot that I could see.
  • Options
    Here is an update on our Cruze. First let me say that I still love my wife more than our car, but the car is really growing on me....The ac was on to the top of the 4000' climb and in Alamogordo and the mileage dropped from 37.4 to 37.1. My wife could tell no difference in the power. It came with the connectivity package which includes cruise control, USB audio interface, Bluetooth. The 1 LT package includes power driver's seat, remote start,rear parking assist (audible alarm). The car is ice blue metallic. The only disappointment is the tire quality. They are 21560r16's tread wear 540, temperature B, traction B. Would have preferred traction A or AA because of the snow, rain, elk, deer,bears, mountain lions, livestock,bicyclists, etc. I am at a loss about the oil change interval. GM recommends to use only 5w-30 oil meeting the "dexos" specification, when the oil life monitor indicates it is time. My guess is about 7500 miles. We use synthetic and extend gas engine oil changes to 12-1500 miles and the turbo charged 7.3 diesel at 10,000 miles. I will probably go with the GM program for a while, but if anyone has ideas I would like to hear them. I also wanted to say that the Edmunds forums are very good and this forum helped us make this decision. Thank you all for taking the time to share your knowledge and thoughts, and this post is (hopefully) helps someone else.
  • Options
    cherrywoodcherrywood Member Posts: 1
    I'd be all over this car if it was AWD!! Please Chevrolet, make the Cruze AWD!!
  • Options
    g6leaserg6leaser Member Posts: 160
    So far after 800 miles with my Cruze LTZ I'm averaging close to 25.4 mpgs - urban/city driving. Have not done much highway driving as my commute is back roads only 5 miles from work. I think I would get around 30-32 mpg on the highway. Will have to check that out on it's first "road trip." Very much enjoying the ride!