Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Pontiac Vibe

Comments

• Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    have complained about the GM battery...I would think changing out the battery might do wonders for starting in really cold temperatures.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    The car only has a 330 cold cranking amp battery standard and I have heard some discussions on other boards that a recall may be initiated to upgrade to a more suitable size.
  • Options
    56795679 Member Posts: 88
    Are they still putting the same 330 CCA battery in the '04 model? What size battery does the Matrix have, I wonder?
    I was stranded last winter (-30C) while skiing when I awoke to a dead battery! Not impressed!
    The word on Genvibe.com is that there will be a recall but when is anybody's guess.
  • Options
    carbonnicarbonni Member Posts: 33
    I notice that there is a significant variability in GM's customer cash distribution. For instance, the Vibe customer cash ranges between $1,500 in the North Central region and $3,000 in the South East region. Anybody knows if in the regions with a lower customer cash there is a factory-to-dealer rebate, for a total of $3,000?
  • Options
    jackie30jackie30 Member Posts: 1
    We are seriously thinking of buying a Vibe AWD. We get lots of snow, cold and hills here in upstate NY (Mohawk Valley) and are wondering about the Vibe's performance in the snow and any input you would share with us. Thanks
  • Options
    jmcknight2jmcknight2 Member Posts: 47
    - I have the 2003 AWD Vibe with real snow tires and it's virtually immune to any weather -related problems. Handling , stopping, and accelerating are easy. Drive smart, and the Vibe will come through in any weather. Crosswinds can be tricky at times, but no big deal.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150
    A reporter is hoping to interview someone who is planning to buy a new vehicle in the next three months. If you are interested, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by January 1, 2003 with your name and daytime contact information.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    I suspect you meant January 1, 2004.
  • Options
    capri22capri22 Member Posts: 1
    We went out looking at small SUVs today and happened accidentally on the Vibe, and really liked the vehicle. We live in Minnesota and are debating between the FWD and AWD. I'm a little concerned that Pontiac doesn't really have much of a track record with AWD, unlike Subaru, for example. Any real concern there? Also, other than the lower gas mileage and reduced horsepower, would the AWD cause any difference in the general ride or handling?
  • Options
    is a Toyota, mechanically. They have been doing AWD here, there, and everywhere for quite some time!

The AWD Vibe/Matrix has the nice feature that they had to install an independent rear suspension to accomodate the AWD hardware, so you actually get BETTER handling, albeit in a car 200 pounds heavier, than the rest of the Trixes and Vibes. The added weight settles the ride a bit, in my experience on our crappy CA roads.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Dunno much about the AWD Vibe/Matrix, but Pontiac has nothing to do with the drive train.

It's all Toyota, and those guys have plenty of experience with AWD. Can you say "All-Trac"?

Still, forget it. If you want AWD and don't mind spending the money, get an Audi. Cheaper and still great AWD: Subaru. Fairly inexpensive, great quality, great resale, plus all-wheel drive is what they do.

The Vibe/Matrix is supposed to be a bit of a dog with the AWD/auto combination...

I've got the stick FWD version, and I really like it. With snow tires and ABS -- I have neither -- I wouldn't be afraid of anything except maybe very steep hills.

-Mathias in MI
    3" on the ground and counting.
  • Options
    - I have a Vibe AWD and a Subaru Forester. For about the same money, the Forester is a better vehicle. It has more power, more room, a better ride, better resale, etc. The Vibe has lower insurance costs and gets slightly more mpg. Both vehicles should prove to be quite reliable. I have real snowtires on both, and they're both great, but the Forester has more ground clearance.
  • Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Does anyone know if the supercharger is available yet? It is listed on the Vibe website. GM Goodwrench listed a price of $2995.00 plus installation by a local dealer.
  • Options
    thelthel Member Posts: 767
    This may seem like an odd suggestion but why not ask your local Pontiac dealer?

;)
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    ...especially since installation is going to be a major part of the cost.
  • Options
    That would make a lot of sense, I just did not think about that suggestion. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    My Service Manager told me he has never had one complaint about the inadequacy of the battery in the Vibe. Is anyone else having starting problems or am I the only one who is having troubles with an unresponsive or dead battery during this cold spell?
    I don't think 310 CCA is sufficient for a new car battery.
  • Options
    California, where we don't even have really cold weather in the Bay Area, and yet on "cold" mornings now I am getting slow cranking. I am going to replace this crappy battery with something better when it quits - higher CCA and higher reserve - and I will NOT be going back to Delco.

• Options
    - My 03 AWD Vibe was made in Oct. '02. It has the factory block heater, which I use when it's below zero. It was -8 F. last week and it started fine, but the starter seemed to disengage sluggishly. Cranking seems normal, even w/o the block heater. I'm using Mobil 1 0W-30 in the winter.
  • Options
    Recently, on two different occasions during the recent deep cold spell, my Vibe acted rather strangely when cold.........in neutral on one occasion and with the clutch engaged on another. The cold engine which was revving quite fast suddenly began revving slowly, then fast again...repeatedly. This has happened once before....again when the engine was cold during another deep freeze Of course, on both occasions the dealer found nothing wrong....nor was there anything wrong with the battery which recently failed me two days in a row.
    Am I the only one?
  • Options
    zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    I need at least 7" of clearance for my dirt road. Edmund's says the Vibe has 8.1" of road clearance (but the Matrix is listed at 5.8"). There's nothing on the Pontiac Site that confirms the Edmunds figure. Can anyone out there confitm it?

Also, what RPM is the Manual Transmission reving in 5th gear at 70 MPH?
  • Options
    mazamamazama Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the ground clearance is different. I can't confirm the measurements you gave, but I've looked under both cars at the auto show. The Matrix has cladding below the grille that hangs a few inches lower than the rest of the underbody, while the lower surface of the Vibe's nose section is flush with the underbody. Appearances aside, the Vibe is a bit more practical in this way.

Don't know about the RPM at 70mph, sorry.
  • Options
    in CA, Pontiac has started offering $2000 cash back or 0%/5 years on Vibe GT. Yum!

• Options
    zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    Mazama: Thanks for the info re: road clearance. The photos of the Vibe/Matrix twins would confirm your impressions. I'm still waiting for a specific answer from the dealership.

GM appears to be offering those incentives nationwide.

Anyone have a 6-speed GT? How are they?

Zman
  • Options
    I have a 6-speed Matrix XRS. I regret getting a manual tranny in a FWD car. It was a lot of fun to spin the tires on my RWD Miata. In the Matrix it is just annoying.

The shifter feel is average for a passenger car. Better than a WRX, worse than an SVT Focus. I won't even compare it to the Miata 6-speed, that just wouldn't be fair. The clutch in my Matrix feels weak....I wonder about its longevity.
  • Options
    sandhog2sandhog2 Member Posts: 22
    It was -35 celsius here 2 nights ago been -20 to 30 for the past week haven't had any starting problems. Mind you the block heater is plugged in. 6000 km on AWD Vibe the only problem we had was OEM tire's. Replaced with 4 BF Goodrich winter slaloms . Great snow tire.
  • Options
    msuphilmsuphil Member Posts: 8
    If I test drive the base modle and the GT model what differences should I be looking for besides the extra gear?

Thanks
  • Options
    If I were you I would think about changing the battery or service centre maybe both? It was -37 celsius last night the wifes vibe fired right up this morning.
  • Options
    Go to Pontiac web site it will give you all the info you need.But if you get lots of snow in your area I would seriously think about AWD it's great.
  • Options
    wgraferwgrafer Member Posts: 592
    Will adding the Supercharger to the 1.8 change the required fuel to Premium/93 Octane? I drove the 130hp auto. and found it sort of sluggish on the takeoff. The Supercharger sounds like it would remedy this, but at what cost in gas mileage and / or increased $ for Premium???
  • Options
    alan34alan34 Member Posts: 11
    My wife and I are trying to decide between an AWD Vibe and an AWD Saturn Vue. Has anyone driven both vehicles to compare them? Money is not the issue here we are looking for a very reliable safe vehicle that our son will be driving. I like the Vue but, I am worried about its long term dependability. My wife's Saturn L200 has not been very reliable. All comments would be welcome!
    Thanks
  • Options
    I desperately wanted a Vue when they were introduced, already owning a '95 saturn SL1. I drove all Vue models extensively, and was disappointed for many of the same reasons others have outlined on the Vue board. I posted there as well about my disappointment, particularly with the interior noise and quality of interior materials.
    Then along came the Vibe. The size, mileage, and the Toyota quality sold me on it. I have no regrets although I still longingly look at the both the red and the royal blue Vues.
  • Options
    (and Matrix XRSs) are pretty rare around here too, although most dealers have one at the lot at any given time.

Now that Pontiac is running national incentives on the GT only (not the base models), the supply should get even scarcer!

• Options
    stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    I have a XRS 6 speeed and my spouse a VUE 5 speed FWD. The Vue 5 speed is much easier to drive (read XRS is much easier to stall...until you master it) I feel safer in the Vue while I love the way my XRS handles. Both have about 9500 miles. Her car is a daily driver while mine is a weekend car. Niether has been in the shop. Both are 2003 models. Mine purchased 11/02 and hers in 4/03. I can't speak for the AWD models because we live in Texas and AWD is kinda silly. Doesn't snow near enough to justify. Build quality and materials is higher on the Matrix while roominess is clearly in the Vue's corner. The Vue rides smoother and quieter. Gas mileage is about equal, both in the 26-28 range with 50/50 (city/hwy) vue and 90/10 Matrix driving.
  • Options
    hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    geek: Funny thing , my wife thought the Vibe was a lot quieter than the VUE and that was probably the main reason she opted for the VIBE over the VUE. As for me, my hearing is pretty bad anyway (too much time in 'copters)and I really did not notice that much difference. The dime store quality of the 2003 VUE's interior was also a turn-off. The 2004's interiors are much nicer IMHO and I think I'd buy one now.They are really dealing in this area (Florida) so with $1000 cash, deep dealer dicounts and GM card points I probably will be driving a VUE of some kind soon.

HUD :):)
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Also have a 3.5L 250 hp V6 in them on top of that new interior.
  • Options
    I would think that if you add the supercharger to
    the Vibe base, that it would require the premium fuel. I currently own a Buick Regal with the 3800SC engine and yes GM does recommend premium fuel. You have to pay to play.
  • Options
    hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    I don't think that GM card points are any good for buying Saturns. I was just on their web site and only Chevy, Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick, GMC, Oldsmobile, and Hummer H2 are listed. Tell me if you know something I don't know, because the Vue would be back on my buy list if I could use my $1,500 of GM bux.....
  • Options
    hal9001: You are right in that the GM card site does not currently show rebates for Saturn. For some reason they seem to try to keep it a secret ! LOL However IF you go to the Saturn site you can find that they were offering $1000, as of yesterday, through Jan, 04. Also here in florida they are offering $2000 rebate on the VUE (excepting red line models as I understand it. Don't know if that's a national thing or not.

If you want the straight info just call your local Saturn dealer and ask them. Rebates and stuff will expire the first of Feb. but I bet they extend them for another month. They are up to their eyeballs in cars and no takers here. Could be due to it being tax time. My sales manager is supposed to be getting a VUE on Saturday and she fully expects to get GM points. If not, the deal will be dead as a door nail.

Happy hunting.

HUD:):)
  • Options
    chetbobchetbob Member Posts: 18
    Just purchased a 04 Vibe on 1/30/04, base with auto, moon # tunes, power package, al wheels, monotone pkg, rear mat # cargo nets. Has any owners taken a trip with their Vibe. Wondering how comfortable the car is on a long trip. I will be going from central Florida to Pennsylvania in March. Thanks for any feedback. Bob
  • Options
    chetbob: My wife has had her VIBE for about a year now. We took a trip from Ocala, Florida to Ohio last August. The car could use a littl more HP as it does struggle a little going over the Smokies or in the hills of Kentucky. We have all 4 cylinder cars so the performance is no big deal to her or me. I have a 2002 Sunfire (company car) that has the 2.2 Ecotech engine. That engine in the vibe, gobs of low speed torque, would be a good compromise from having to go to the Supercharged version of the 1.8 Toyota engine.

All-in-all it's a pretty nice cruiser,relaxed engine speed @ 70 to 80mph and quiet on the interstate while getting about 31mpg. The car has less than 8K miles on it so I guesss it really is not actually broken-in yet. She really loves the car (had a 2000 Galant)and likes it better all around.

• Options
    This is one of the things that I actually like about my Matrix XRS ;). If the seats in the VIbe are the same as the ones in my XRS, then I'm sure you'll find the long haul to be very comfortable. I'm about 6'1" so one of the first things I did was remove the left foot rest which gave me about 5" more leg room (or so it seems).
  • Options
    The "tilt" wheel has far too little adjustment and really needs a telescoping feature as well. I just can't get a decent position that is comfortable and does not obscure the instrument panel. Of course the second worse feature is the lousey, backlit, red instrument illumination that is nearly impossible to read in the daytime. I hear the 2004's are a little better in that regard but not much.
  • Options
    I've got a 2004, and it's just fine.
    A friend got all miffed after he drove mine 'cuz he passed on the '03 in favor of a used Solara, in part because he could not read the instruments in the '03. No problems with the newer ones.

That said, could I please have the entire dash from my '93 Corolla? No frills, functional, no futzing with it when the light changes... this backlit stuff is stoopid.

Haven't done any long trips in this car; I tink comfort would be fine, but the noise would get on my nerves. Drove an '04 Mazda3, much more pleasant and refined car. For more $$, of course.

Still happy with my Vibe, I remain,
    -Mathias
  • Options
    of any car I've ever owned has got to be the beeper that goes off every time I shift into reverse.....AAHHHHHHH! Man I HATE this thing! Does the Vibe do this to? Anyone successfully disable this irritating little feature?!?
  • Options
    that little feature is characteristic not of the car, but of the 6sp transmission -- also used in the Celica. AFAIK, the Vibe GT has it also, but 5speeds don't.
    Just do as car&driver suggested; everytime you hit reverse, go " 'monback...'monback"

Speaking of beepers, anyone know how to get the car to SHUT UP about "door open" and "unbelted driver"?

It's a dangerous world, I know, but I still don't buckle up to drive into the garage....

-Mathias
  • Options
    for me when I bought mine was the backlit gauges, and I feel I should add that many more cars are doing this these days...gauges that are blacked out unless the car is turned on. The new Mazda3 I checked out recently is the same way. It kind of reminds me of Lexus I have driven.

• Options
    odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    Vibes are getting a new grill and other minor tweaks for '05. Personally, I like the old front end better than this softened one.
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0402/01/b02-51487.htm

I saw on another site that Vibes have a 130-day supply -- the industry norm is 65, so sales are slowing.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Goodness that is a snout only a mother could love. The GTO style front end is no improvement. Better off to have left it the way it is.

Odd, I priced the Vibe AWD against the Matrix and the Vibe is $2,000 more than Matrix with same equipment as Vibe even AFTER rebates on the Vibe.
  • Options
    If you buy a VIBE you'll not have to put up with the snotty, arrogant Toyo dealership. LOL !! The main reason I bought a VIBE. Toyo experience was a total turn-off from the moment I walked into the place !!

HUD ;);)