Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Vibe

Comments

• Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Jim, our new 2004 Pontiac Vibe has been driven 985 miles. So far, no sulfer smell. However, both my 2000 Mazda Proteges had the smell of rotten eggs from time to time this winter. I would get out of the car after parking and catch a whiff of the Protege's tail pipe emissions and grimace. Prolly the infamous winter gasoline. Happened one or twice a week. Never caused me to stress out. Can't blame the vehicle for stinky gas. LOL!

mc dawg is right about the many posts around Edmund Town Hall. Here is one opinion on the subject of the sulfer smell.

"practically, any of the majors in your area are using the same refinery stocks and just adding your additive package for gas. There ARE differences in the refinery stocks. Some have already cut over to newer equipment that cuts sulfur in the gas to essentially none, some haven't yet. If you have a recent car that has a permeable-ceramic catalytic, sulfur can build up in them under light driving, and release in a hot stinky cloud of hydrogen sulfide if you floor it, tow, start driving uphill, or otherwise load the engine more or get the cat hot. There are a lot of yowls about that across the Edmunds Boards. The car makers all say use the lowest sulfur gas you can get. But, who has it is something a little hard to tell.

-by Scott Schrader Mar 20, 2004 Town Hall
  • Options
    hechec Member Posts: 2
    I am going through the same thing with my 2004 Vibe. Pontiac would do nothing for me, said the smell is a "characteristic of the Vibe" and told me to call the BBB Auto Line. I have done that and I am going to have to go to a arbitration on my car because GM still will not take care of it. It is a major problem that they need to deal with. The dealerships in my area won't even look at my car for this smell anymore. More owners need to complain to them so they will realize how major this is. I would not have bought this car had I known about the smell first. If it is a characteristic it should be listed on the window sticker so you know when you make the purchase.
  • Options
    cttguycttguy Member Posts: 16
    Hear! Hear! I hope all of you reading these posts that are thinking of buying a Vibe pay attention. In fact, why don't you ask the saleperson about it? Is it true that they said "characteristic of the Vibe"? If so, I would be more than happy to support your case with the BBB auto line. Let me know how I can help. I have just submitted my claim with the BBB.
  • Options
    cttguycttguy Member Posts: 16
    Hec, go over the the vibe maintainance and repair board for more posts on this issue.
  • Options
    capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    LOL. I'd love to see the smell listed as a dealer installed option.
  • Options
    hechec Member Posts: 2
    Good luck with your claim. I was offered a months payment, not good enough, I want the car fixed or a different one. I talked with a local news channel that helps with your unsolved problems. I was told that if I get nowhere with the arbitration to contact the Attorney General about a lemon law. And yes that is exactly what Pontiac told me "characteristic of the Vibe" to bad I didn't know that up front, I would never have purchased one. The car is great except that smell.
  • Options
    hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2003 Corolla which has basically the same drivetrain as the Matrix, and in 25k miles, I've never smelled anything peculiar in the exhaust. This may have something to do with the gas here in southern Calif. I think post #2158 probably says it all.
    When I move to Minnesota in a few weeks, I will be buying a new AWD car and am having a hard time deciding between Matrix and Element...
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I went canoeing yesterday. 16' 60lb Old Town on roof; Yak cross bars on the factory rails.
    The rack is too darned short, but at least it's sturdy.
    The thing is, it slants UP -- just what I want when carrying a canoe... can't wait to put my 17'9" Sawyer on there... and now the kicker: I have no less than THREE attachment points on the front of the car, strong and solid, you could pick up the car with them... but any rope would have to wrap around the front facia, which gives and wobbles. ARRRGGGGH!

This was supposed to be for "active lifestyles", and now it's great as an around-town poseur vehicle. THANKS GM.

Anybody need a good used 04 Vibe, cheap :-)

Looks like I'm getting a 98 Cherokee with rain gutters.

Disgruntled, I remain
    -Mathias
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    That's too bad. Did you not investigate these matters before buying the vehicle? Not everyone has the same "active lifestyle".
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Mathias: you got an AWD, in Salsa??? I'll buy it!!
  • Options
    My active lifestyle is going to the mall. As is most others I would guess by the plethora of SUVs there.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes that factory rack is way too short. It really does not take advantage of the longer wagon roof. I suppose it can't be removed so you can put on a Yak or Thule.
  • Options
    maxx: sorry; 5sp silver base, sorry dude :-)

petl: 2 answers for you;
    If you're under 17,
    talk to grown-ups with more respect.

If you're over 17,
    yes, i checked out the car carefully in Jan 03... decided to buy sienna instead... bought it in oct 03 because my wife hit a deer and took over my van, so i needed some wheels quick, and $2k+ in gm card money made the deal too good to pass up.

Whether it suits my exact needs, or yours, or your uncle Dudley's isn't a big deal. I personally feel that the car is designed for form over function. You can argue this if you feel like it.

What you shouldn't do is ask patronizing questions.

The Vibe is a good car. It isn't a great car because it is too noisy, the driving position is weird, and the roof rack isn't useful.
    -Mathias
  • Options
    56795679 Member Posts: 88
    I had occasion to use the roof rack for the first time on a recent ski trip, after attaching the Yakima rack I'd previously used with my old '96 Dodge van. Needless to say the skis and snowboard were quite long so the liftgate couldn't be raised all the way. It was just an inconvenience.
    While my love affair with my Vibe has waned a bit, due to the inadequate battery and some paint issues, for the most part the car , which is the primary vehicle for two recent retirees, is fun, useful, comfortable, and very inexpensive to drive. That said, I now wish i had waited a bit longer for the more expensive, roomier, longer, more powerful V6 Saturn Vue.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I'm way over 17. I'm also sorry about the accident and I hope that your wife was not injured. I wasn't patronizing. I was only commenting on your assessment of the vehicle based on your apparent needs.

Maybe I could have worded my statement and asked the question differently. There was no malice intended. I apologize of you took it any other way.

Peter.
  • Options
    stevetreestevetree Member Posts: 4
    Seems to be designed to serve as a point of attachment for other specialized racks (for bikes, skies etc.). There are hitch mounted supports that can be used to provide additional stability for long objects such as canoes that also swivel to make it easier to load and unload.
  • Options
    "Whether it suits my exact needs, or yours, or your uncle Dudley's isn't a big deal. I personally feel that the car is designed for form over function. You can argue this if you feel like it. What you shouldn't do is ask patronizing questions. The Vibe is a good car. It isn't a great car because it is too noisy, the driving position is weird, and the roof rack isn't useful."
    -Mathias

So, Mathais if you post YOUR opinion on a public forum, we are not to question the validity of your position? Why not? I think a fair-minded person might question why someone planning to haul a Kayak on the roof of his new vehicle didn't spend time exploring the feasibility of this task before spending 19 grand on that said vehicle? "..it is too noisy, the driving position is weird.." Well, it was prolly too noisy on the test drive? Did the driving position change after you purchased your Vibe? In case you ask, I'm 45. I have never asked a person younger than myself to show me respect, unless I have earned their respect.

My wife and I enjoy our 2004 Pontiac Vibe. Did the research and we found a car that meets the needs of a small family. Two adults and one very active 8 year old boy. Excellent fuel economy, plenty of cargo room for his sports equipment and a commanding seating position that allows us to see the road well ahead. Not the perfect car for everyone, I'm sure. Perfect for us.

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • Options
    We're expending a lot of ink on this. Good thing it's virtual...

"So, Mathais [sic] if you post YOUR opinion on a public forum, we are not to question the validity of your position? Why not?"

I post MY opinion because it is the only opinion I got. If you want to question its validity, go right ahead. I'd love to hear how tying down cargo is, after all, possible and how to do it.

Instead, I get a bunch of tsk-tsk'ing on how I didn't do my research. Nice.

"I think a fair-minded person might question why someone planning to haul a Kayak on the roof of his new vehicle didn't spend time exploring the feasibility of this task before spending 19 grand on that said vehicle?"
    Who said I didn't? I asked people at gas stations, I looked at Yakima options and attachments, and I knew I would be able to haul at least one boat, at least locally. I'll also be able to put a bowline on as added safety, but not as a decent tie-down. Oh well.

Nineteen Grand? American Money? I paid $13,100 for the stupid thing, brand-new, after rebates. October 31st, 2004 -- I guess end-of-month does help. I wouldn't pay $19 for the silly thing, but I wasn't about to pass up a deal like that.

" '..it is too noisy, the driving position is weird..' Well, it was prolly too noisy on the test drive?"
    YES, SURE WAS.

"Did the driving position change after you purchased your Vibe?"
    NO. And this is where it gets patronizing. I don't like your attitude.

--------------
    Time for a little rant. I've been a GM Cardholder for decade or so. THat's $500/year on a new vehicle, and if you buy the Prizm or Vibe, you get a Toyota at a huge discount. I'm not going to pass that up. I got a '98 Prizm and now an '04 Vibe at prices that let me turn around and sell it without a loss pretty much any time I choose. At that point, I don't worry about whether it fits every one of my needs, so long as it works for most of them. Haven't found the perfect car yet; I suppose a 500 E 4matic would do ok.

I've been following GM plans for a small wagon off the Corolla platform since 1998, when Automobile Magazine had a few lines about a "lifestyle wagon" , probably from Pontiac, and the Vibe only had a code number. I was pretty sure then I would buy one some day, and eventually I did. I'd do it again, in a heartbeat.

NONE OF THIS IMPACTS THE FACTS: The driving position is weird (me, car&driver, consumer reports), the car is too loud (me, car&driver, automobile mag), and the hauling capability is compromised by the fact you can't tie things down properly.

Why is everyone acting like the car is perfect, and I just didn't check it out properly? The car is fun and useful, the styling is at least, uh, different, and it sure was great flipping the seats last night and hauling a straw bale and some topsoil home. Try that in a Camry. None of this changes the fact that the car has some pretty boneheaded features. How is this my fault???

-Mathias
  • Options
    ...I paid $13,100 for the stupid thing, brand-new, after rebates...I wouldn't pay $19 for the silly thing, but I wasn't about to pass up a deal like that.

"Did the driving position change after you purchased your Vibe?"
    NO. And this is where it gets patronizing. I don't like your attitude.

...Time for a little rant. I've been a GM Cardholder for decade or so. THat's[sic] $500/year on a new vehicle, and if you buy the Prizm or Vibe, you get a Toyota at a huge discount. I'm not going to pass that up.

I was pretty sure then I would buy one some day, and eventually I did. I'd do it again, in a heartbeat.....NONE OF THIS IMPACTS THE FACTS: The driving position is weird (me, car&driver, consumer reports), the car is too loud (me, car&driver, automobile mag), and the hauling capability is compromised by the fact you can't tie things down properly....

...None of this changes the fact that the car has some pretty boneheaded features. How is this my fault???
    -Mathias

Mathias, I'm sorry your Vibe wasn't all you hoped it would be. It seems the moral of this story is never let price/discounts determine what new car you purchase. I hope you will much happier with your next car, after it's not so new anymore.

-Larry
  • Options
    I drove my son to school today on the way back home, I opened the moon roof and popped in a CD, turned up the sound and totally enjoyed the ride. I'm thinking of trading in my other car (2000 Mazda Protege) and purchasing another VIBE?

-Larry
  • Options
    The thing is, buying a car for many of us is full of compromises. For me right now the perfect vehicle does not exist in this market - not even close. I want a car that handles nicely, seats 5 comfortably, gets good mileage, is reliable,and has plenty of space for cargo. It must also have a manual transmission. What does that leave me?

Vibe has a small cargo area (the Corolla wagon had about twice as much) and is a little tight for three in back, so it comes pretty close. Really a Camry wagon (or Accord) would probably be better - not available in the US. Ideally an Accord wagon with a nice efficient diesel engine -not even close to being available here, no problem in Europe. VW just introduced a Passat with a diesel that gets 27/38 mpg. Getting warm, but no manual tranny, and reliability could be a concern - though diesels are much more reliable than gas engines. New Subaru intrugues me, but don't need AWD, and they use quite a bit of feul.

Should I just never buy a new car because there isn't one out there that is just what I want?

Life is full of compromises, and if you have to compromise anyway - why not take advantage of a good price on a vehicle? Is it better to spend a lot of money on a vehicle that does not suit your needs perfectly, or not quite so much money?
  • Options
    "I want a car that handles nicely, seats 5 comfortably, gets good mileage, is reliable,and has plenty of space for cargo. It must also have a manual transmission. What does that leave me?...and is a little tight for three in back, so it comes pretty close. Really a Camry wagon (or Accord) would probably be better - not available in the US."

Dudleyr, I'm not really sure about the manuel tranny? But, have you looked into the Mazda6 Wagon?

-Larry
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion - I have considered it. The Mazda 6 wagon comes close size wise, and rides and handles nicely, but it only comes with a V-6 that gets pretty poor gas mileage 19/27. I can't bring myself to get a car that is no more efficient than a Toyota Sienna(which my wife wants to get). For Comparison the Accord is 26/34. If they made the 4-cylinder available that would probably be the closest thing to what I am looking for that is available in the states. The TDI Jetta wagon would be spot on. Nice handling, 41/50 mpg, lots of cargo space, but the rear seat is just too tight.

With the price of gas these days - maybe more car companies will offer more efficient cars, and more manual trannies.
  • Options
    Interior:
    Front Head Room: 38.7 in. Front Hip Room: 54.7 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 56.1 in. Rear Head Room: 38.6 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 54.9 in. Rear Hip Room: 54.1 in.
    Front Leg Room: 42.3 in. Rear Leg Room: 36.5 in.
    Luggage Capacity: 33.7 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 61 cu. ft.
    Maximum Seating: 5

Performance Data:

Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3 liters
    Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 220 hp
    Max Horsepower: 6300 rpm Torque: 192 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 5000 rpm Drive Type: FWD
    Turning Circle: 38.7 ft.

Fuel Data-
    Fuel Tank Capacity: 18 gal.
    EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
    Manual: 19 mpg / 26 mpg Automatic: : 19 mpg / 26 mpg
    Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
    Automatic: 342 mi. / 468 mi. Manual: 342 mi. / 468 mi.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the manual Vibe (non-GT) gets 29/36 - quite a disparity, although the 90 hp differential goes a long way to explaining it! The Mazda6 wagon doesn't seem that much bigger than Vibe.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    I wonder why the Mazda6 Wagon manual tranny gets the same EPA mileage estimates as the auto tranny?

Manual: 19 mpg / 26 mpg
    Automatic: : 19 mpg / 26 mpg

-Larry
  • Options
    Same story in the sedan. All the V6 models are rated the same. I don't think they will all actually see this in real world driving.
  • Options
    is the auto a 4-speed? It might have higher gearing to get that EPA rating, which is common now with current models - that the auto and manual get about the same mileage, I mean. The weight differential between the two is down to 40 or 50 pounds in many cars, and the smaller gears means you save gas, although it sucks some of the fun out at the same time.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    The V6 sedan vanilla gets a 4 speed auto while the sport sedan and wagon get 5 speed autos. But still regardless of tranny the ratings are the same.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    dlockhartdlockhart Member Posts: 4
    My Vibe was built at NUMMI on 6/02. Other than the dash buzz common on the Matrix also it has been a great car. I did a Factory tour at NUMMI and was very impressed on how they manufacture the Vibe, Corolla, and Tacoma. They have quality and pride in every car they build. It will have fewer problems than any other American built car. You can thank your local smog laws and refineries for the rotten egg smell. I have never had this problem in Nor Cal.
  • Options
    I thought I'd post this for people's information and/or amusement.
    Yakima has apparently caught up with the whole Matrix/Vibe thing and actually figured out how to use one of their existing adapter kits... it's the "Q83-A" set of clips and pads.

I bought the set in the store and when I got home, there were no instructions for my car. Called Yakima and within 40 seconds had a live person who told me that there was no fit for the '04 Vibe, but the numbers for the '03 were: M1 = 40 3/8" and M2 = 8". This refers to Q tower spread and distance to windshield, respectively.

This is what the whole thing looks like on my car:
    http://www.msu.edu/~steine13/101_0164.JPG
    It's a pretty goofy setup with the pads sticking on the car at a 45-degree angle...

I still want my rain gutters back, but this is actually more solid than the corresponding setup on our Sienna... and we haul two boats with that one.

With the new crossbar and a 17' boat on there, the angles work out such that tie downs can go from the big "eyelets" on the corners of the subframe across the solid part of the air dam. It'll rub the pain t off, but it's fairly solid otherwise, and quick to do if you use carabiners.

My experience with the Sienna is that electrical tape, liberally applied in overlapping layers, saves the paint from being rubbed off and is easily removed.

Having bored all non-canoeists/kayakers into a coma,
    I remain
    -Mathias
  • Options
    That pic really exagerates the downward slope of the roof. Looks like the rack is sturdy though.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I've read several articles since 2002 regarding problems at NUMMI and significant increases in the problems per vehicle with the Prizm, the Tacoma and now the Vibe. I was shocked when I read the article that stated Vibe was currently the worst quality Pontiac. I went back to my original post 2124 and now the link to the article that was on Morningstar is not working. Anyone know where there is a good link to the article.
    Owners of the Vibe seem to be very happy with their vehicles and report few problems. That is good. Tacoma is suffering fit, finish, and paint problems that it never used to have 10 years ago?
    Overall, I think the party is over at NUMMI.
    I considered buying a Vibe until I found out the Matrix had lower cost and then decided against a Matrix due to a dislike of so much plastic in the cargo area. Quality was never an issue in the decision for me.
  • Options
    jay108jay108 Member Posts: 52
    Its been 13 months since I got my Vibe. The thing runs great and looks great. My wife likes to drive it on the weekends which is fine. It drives and parks easy. The base model has plenty of power for our every day use, its not a hot rod.

I put American racing wheels on it and they look sharp. I also use Hankook winter radials and they really helped out this past snowy winter. Its the standard FWD Vibe with automatic tranny.

Its got Toyota reliability and Pontiac style; what more could you ask for? Hemi would be nice but thats another story.

Got the Vibe for $13500, it stickered out at $19500. I had the GM card discount for $2000, $2000 factory rebate, $1000 loyalty rebate plus $1000 from the dealer. Its one cheap ride that I like fine. Wish I could have found a model with ABS and side airbags.
  • Options
    CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    This is a re-posting from the maintenance site.
    For the past 2 years I have driven my 2003 Vibe exclusively... Very rarely do I drive my wife's van or my son's Ford Contour. Due to a service issue I had to switch cars with my son for about a week. Unbelievable the road noise difference between a 1995 Contour and a 2003 Vibe!
    The Contour sounds like a Cadillac while the Vibe roars like a jet engine. Is it the difference in the lower profile tires? Are the Continental Tires just plain noisy??? Is the cabin not well insulated? Now that I'm back to the Vibe the road noise really haunts me! Any suggestions???
    I also noised a wind whistle...
    Is the wind noise most likely from the sunroof? The channel molding at the top of the windshield? Maybe the wipers? Any suggestions???
    Really sad that a 1995 Contour with 100,000 miles put the Vibe to shame!
    By the way I've had to do 2 alignments in 15,000 miles because of tire wear. Is this a Vibe trait?
    Crappy tires ? ContinentalTires were okay the first winter, but horrible this past winter... no traction, you feel like you are floating on the snow!
  • Options
    jimmcknightjimmcknight Member Posts: 28
    - The Vibe is a relatively high profile vehicle with an open cargo area, unlike vehicles that actually have trunks. The Continental tires may be partly to blame; my Dunlop SP Wintersport M2 tires seem to ride and handle better than the Continentals, and the Continentals are not wearing evenly, either. I've only got 9,000 miles on my '03 AWD, and I've had to have an alignment and replaced 2 of the Continentals already. I'm a very conservative driver, too. Overall, I really like the Vibe, tho. I'd buy another one without even thinking.
  • Options
    You rang? Just went through a winter with my 5sp fwd base Vibe... no complaints. No ABS either, which I thought would be hard to readjust to, but it wasn't.

I think I'll spring for snows next year, but maybe I'll trust to luck again with the factory tires... they were pretty decent when new; and I only have 4k on the car now.

The big deal here in mid-MI where it's flat is ground clearance... the Vibe is advertised at 8", if memory serves. I've had a Prizm in the past that wouldn't make it out of the driveway after 10" of snow...the belly of the car would just ride up and the tires lose traction. I don't know how much we got this past winter, but it was plenty, and no problems at all. In hilly country, or if I had a long commute, I'd really think about AWD, but then I'd buy a Subaru or Audi. Really, though, FWD and snows will get you anywhere you need to go on the road. Come to think of it, my RWD Aerostar was a hoot in the snow -- with good tires... ground clearance, again.

As far as power and noise: The engine is fairly loud, yes; I imagine the stick would help, because you can keep the revs where you like 'em. On the highway, the noise pretty much goes away; it all blends together with wind/tire/engine noise and is neither unpleasant nor particularly loud. On the performance; the AWD gets hit 3 times: Auto, drive train losses and weight, and more restrictive exhaust. The base 5speed goes plenty fast and handles GREAT, I really like driving it... gas mileage is a plus, too... at $2.14 a gallon. I've never driven the XRS/GT... but by all accounts, it's too much trouble to keep the revs up all the time... only way to know is to own one for 3 months, I suppose...

Hope this helps,
    -Mathias
  • Options
    sandhog2sandhog2 Member Posts: 22
    Have had the Vibe for just about one year now. This past winter was one of the worst for snow in recent years a couple of storms dumped 10 to 15 inches. the last was may 11.We put winter tires on the Vibe preformed very well. As for noise and lack of power I can't figure that one. At about 4,000 to 5,000 rpm yes but not at regular hwy speeds 60 mph=2,500 rpm.Power wise she's alittle slow off the line but once your up to speed I dont have any trouble passing,merging or keeping up on the hill's
  • Options
    thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Every driver seems to have their own idea as to what is sufficient power. I found the power in my 01 CR-V sufficient...until it came time to pass someone. A Taurus with a 3.8L V6 may be a bit over powered (for a family car anyway) but fun.

I don't use the full power of my XRS all that often but when it comes time to pass someone, I just shift it into 3rd and let the good times roll. I never have to worry about passing people in the XRS...now my 1990 Miata, that's a bit of a different story and my wife's 04 Civic EX is a WHOLE different story!
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    This is a Toyota Corolla after all. I don't think anyone should have expectations about having power exude from this vehicle. I have one of the first Vibe AWDs, and still think it is the best AWD value on the road.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    With a Subaru Impreza TS Wagon available at less than $17,000 and standard 165 HP the Vibe starts to look overpriced and underpowered.
    I've seen quite a few used Vibe AWD with less than 10,000 miles on used market for around $15,000 which is more reasonable.
    IMHO best Vibe is the base model, GT and AWD models are too high in price and have too many faults. For those who need AWD, the Impreza is worth considering. Since the AWD Vibe is in the $20's the CRV's, Escapes, and etc. are also worth considering.
  • Options
    cfilkinscfilkins Member Posts: 39
    I had a FWD Vibe through the past two winters here in western NY. Personally, I have never driven a car that was WORSE in the snow than the Vibe. I would expect it to be the Continental tires that came on mine, but I had zero traction when there was any snowpack whatsoever on the road.
  • Options
    I've seen quite a few used Vibe AWD with less than 10,000 miles on used market for around $15,000 which is more reasonable.

That should tell you something about what owners feel about them then, doesn't it? I had mine for 2 years before deciding I was just paying too much money for too little car.
  • Options
    thelthel Member Posts: 767
    So if I understand your post right, you decided to sell your 2 year-old car b/c you thought you were paying too much? I wonder how much negative equity you rolled into the loan for your new car....
  • Options
    you just feel like you "gotta stop the bleeding". Maybe he bought used, or went back to his old car...

• Options
    It was 2 years into a 3 year lease, and I got out with practically no penalty (traded it in for the buyout price so I walked away clean). While I liked the car, the anemic and noisy engine, the unreadable red-on-red displays, and proliferation of rattles in the all-plastic back just started to wear on me.

When you're paying $300/month on a lease for an $18k (what I paid in April '02) car and you can slide into a $30k vehicle for about the same lease payment, I figured it was the best thing for me to do...
  • Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I have a base 5 speed with power package and ABS. I got it in December and already have 14K miles on it. I commute about 110 miles each way daily and have taken it on an 800 mile weekend trip with 3 people. I kept the Conti's on it for the winter, which were fine, and got used alloys with Yokos (from a Celica)on Ebay for the summer. Yeah, it's a little noisy and could be a little more refined, but I am really pleased. I get between 32 and 36 miles per gallon and even push it fairly hard and will cruise down 684 at 90 if the traffic (and Valentine 1) will let me.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    jdudleyjdudley Member Posts: 3
    It seems like there are many people asking what the best way is to attach kayaks, bikes, etc to the Vibe's roof rack.

** For everyone's information, if you purchase the roof rack "Utility Bars" from your GM dealership for the Vibe, they are the exact same size as the THULE brand bars, so all your Thule accessories (bike, ski, boat racks, etc) will fit perfectly on your Vibe with the utility bars installed. It cost me $130 to buy the bars. Thule's similar set of feet & crossbars for the Vibe is $200 ("Rapid Railing Carrier").

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    jdudleyjdudley Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased the roof rack "Utility Bars" for my Vibe from the dealership, but I can't figure out how to pull off the end cap like they say in the instructions. It looks like there is a slot in the end of the bar for a KEY?? I didn't get any key(s) from the dealership for this rack!? Did they neglect to give them to me? Or am I doing something wrong?

Does anyone else have the utility bars that can tell me if I need a key for them?

Thanks.