Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    We have about 23k on our van, and like many have been a little underwhelmed by the gas mileage, especially compared to our previous vans. We have been varying in a range of 17 to 20 or so. It is OK, but not great. But I have been noticing for the past year an increased tendency towards pinging under load, and with it an accompanying sag in power. I figure that the knock sensor is doing it's job - retarding the timing, which reduces power (and presumably fuel economy as well).

This summer, when the pinging became more and more present, I added a bottle of Tektron fuel system cleaner and switched to a mix of mid (89) & premium (93) fuel. The ping is gone, and the engine feels like it got a big boost in power - especially for hills and passing. There also seems to be a kick in fuel economy. We are now into the low to mid 20's around town, with the most recent tanks of 24, then 26 on a trip.

I realize that this is not a controlled experiment, but I am becoming convinced that this engine is simply happier on the higher octane fuel. It pulls stronger, and I don't have to cringe when I hear it ping. And if you do the math, the extra 10 to 20 cents per gallon (on near $2 fuel) is well worth it if you also pick up more than 1-2 mpg in the process.

Now the trick is to find the exact right octane level to maximize the performance without wasting money....

Steve
  • Options
    MartypaMartypa Member Posts: 50
    the same issue with engine knock on my 03 Ody. Premium gas stopped the pinging. I think it has more to do with the reformulated gas we use here during the summer than it just needing premium. I will switch back to regular gas in the next few months. It will be interesting to see if the pinging recurs.
  • Options
    muller665muller665 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a '99 or '00 oddysey.what can i do to protect my investment if
    the warranty has expired.there seems to be a lot of tech service bulletins and recalls associated
    with these model years.
    thank you
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    From the information I have gleened from these boards, I would guess that the '00's are holding up somewhat better than the '99's. And this makes sense - any new model is going to have bugs, and I am sure that Honda made many tiny changes at the end of year one based on trouble reports from dealer service depts.

Also, IIRC, the transmission warranty extension only applies to '00 & '01, not '99??? That might be a reason enough to select year #2.

Steve
  • Options
    brymilbrymil Member Posts: 18
    Unless you need the added cargo area, go with the Sienna. Up through 2001 model year the Odyssey does not seem to display the build quality or performance Honda is normally known for. (There have been numerous postings on rattles and wind noise alone.) However, take this reply for what it is worth...I have had numerous problems with my 2001 Odyssey that I purchased new and am therefore, very dis-pleased with it. Prior to my Odyssey, I owned over a dozen vehicles, all American, and the Odyssey has been in the shop more than any of my prior cars. I certainly was not expecting that! Good luck!
  • Options
    ccaroffccaroff Member Posts: 1
    I hate my Odyssesy because of its rattles. The car is beautiful - navigation system, leather, loaded. But I cringe when I get in it because more than likely there will be at least one rattle - cargo doors, back of the van, seat belt area and others. Some have been fixed but just when I think things are fine there's another one or one reoccurs. I am thinking of ditching it but would really regret the big hit financially. Any suggestions? Do I try again at the dealership? Do I talk to my salesperson? Do I write to Honda?
  • Options
    cstarkcstark Member Posts: 1
    I have a '00 EX. My automatic door locks on the drivers side door are not working when the car is not running. When the car is running, the locks work fine. I also noticed (coincidental or not) when I lock the car doors with the FOB the rear lights are not blinking as they used to. Can anyone offer a suggestion on what may be causing this problem and what I should try to correct it?

Thank you.
    cstark
  • Options
    popperpopper Member Posts: 41
    99K miles. Started noticing rattle in front suspension over any type of road imperfections. Any Ideas?
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    There have been quite a few complaints of Odyssey noises/rattles. Enter "rattle" in the discussion search to read how some owners have, or have not, had this issue resolved.
  • Options
    pyhsiehpyhsieh Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

the power sliding door will close but will not latch (2000 EX). I can latchthe door by manually pushed the door. There were lots of discussions about this a couple of years ago here. But, I cannot find any information about this. Can anyone here help? Someone suggested some type of fluid (lubricant?) to clean the contacts. Thanks!
  • Options
    daisydavidaisydavi Member Posts: 5
    I have always followed the recommended service maintenance schedule, but my problem started with squealing from the front brakes.

I brought the van in for brake inspection in June 2003 (56K miles) and regular service to Honda Carland in Alpharetta GA. They replaced my front pads (not the first time) but also resurfaced the rear brake drums. Very expensive for such a simple job- $400.

Just after the work was done, my rear brakes started a light squealing noise, especially while going down hill. It did not bother me initially because you barely could hear it. It did not go away.

I had to bring the van back for servicing (and replacing my cranny for the SECOND TIME) and I mentioned the rear brake squealing.(The noise only occurs while applying the brakes, warm or cold) Of course, when I drove the van with the service advisor, you could not hear it. They inspected the brakes anyway and told me the noise was normal for the Odyssey, but it did not affect braking capability. It was safe to drive the van as is. They also added Honda had updated the rear drum to eliminate the problem, so if I chose, I could replace the drums for $250. It was not covered under Honda Care Warranty. (I have the 100K warranty)

I don't know what they did to my brakes with the inspection, but the brakes sounded horrible as I drove home. The squealing is so loud, it's embarrassing. And now I also hear a grinding noise with the rotation of the wheels. The van is also not stopping as efficiently.

Now I read on these boards and on odyclub.com, that Ody owners have had their rear drums and rotors replaced under warranty. Has anyone had this problem fixed under warranty?

My service advisor at Honda Carland also states that even if there is a Technical Service Bulletin issued for this defect, it doesn't mean it is covered under warranty.

----------------------------------------
    Service Bulletin
    . 2003 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved ATB 24958 (0302) 1 of 1

CUSTOMER INFORMATION: The information in this bulletin is intended for use only by skilled technicians who have the proper tools, equipment,and training to correctly and safely maintain your vehicle. These procedures should not be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers,” and you should not assume this bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle has the condition described. To determine whether this information applies, contact an authorized Honda automobile dealer.

February 25, 2003
    #03-013
    Applies To: 1999–01 Odyssey – ALL

Rear Brakes Groan When Coming to a Stop

SYMPTOM
    The rear brakes groan when coming to a stop. When
    you do an inspection of the brake system, you can find
    nothing wrong with it.

PROBABLE CAUSE
    Resonance transferred through the brake drum
    material.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
    Replace the rear brake drums.

PARTS INFORMATION
    Rear Brake Drum (two required):
    P/N 42610-S0X-305, H/C 7159965

Skill Level: Repair Technician
    Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
    expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
    the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
    Office. You must request consideration, and get a
    decision, before starting work.
    REPAIR PROCEDURE
    1. Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with
    safety stands in the proper locations.
    2. Press the parking brake pedal.
    3. Remove the wheel nuts and the rear wheels.
    4. Release the parking brake pedal.
    5. Screw two 8 x 1.25 mm bolts into the brake drum to
    push it away from the hub bearing unit. Turn each
    bolt two turns at a time to prevent ****ing the brake
    drum excessively. Remove the brake drum from
    the hub bearing unit. If the brake drum does not
    come off easily, back off the brake adjuster one full
    turn (23 teeth).
    6. Use brake cleaner and a clean shop towel to wipe
    any residue off the surface of the new brake drums.
    7. Install the new brake drum.
    8. Repeat steps 5 thru 7 for the other side.
    9. Reinstall both rear wheels. Torque the wheel nuts
    to 108 N·m (80 lb-ft).
    10. Press the brake pedal several times to set the selfadjusting
    brake.
    11. Adjust the parking brake by turning the adjusting
    nut until the parking brakes drag slightly when you
    spin the rear wheels. Properly adjusted, the parking
    brake should be fully applied when you press the
    parking brake pedal three to five clicks.
    12. Lower the vehicle.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I had my rear drums replaced last year on our 00 but I was still within the warranty period. I took it in 3 times before the service advisor was able to hear it - at that point we were experiencing a horrendous grinding during low speed braking. A friend with the same issue had it repaired but it was not covered. YMMV.
  • Options
    zagafrzagafr Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased our Odyssey 2 weeks ago. The first tank of gas was only 15 MPG. I figured, OK, Lets see what it does on the highway. We drove it to Florida and back and got 16 on the next tank and then the bottom dropped out. 12, 9, and 11 MPG respectively for the next fill-ups. I put super-unleaded in it for the trip back (all interstate 95) and the absolute best I could eek out was 20.1 I was hoping - nberryman or sutton60 had received a solution to their problem.

If there is anyone out there with a fix, I would appreciate it.

This is my fifth Honda and I have never had this problem with a Honda product. We are worried we have a $30,000 Lemon.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    The normal warranty is 3 years 36,000 miles and after that the extended warranty if you own one kicks in. The bulletin you copied says this about half way down in not so many words. The extended warranty is not a bumper to bumper warranty like the factory and they do not cover all items. Have your service advisor call it in and check or you call and ask if you can. Good luck
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat -- Our topic tonight is "Warranties: Are they worth it?"

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    re: post 3024
    I find it curious that this service bulliten, which I'm sure is not intended for the public to read, states "may be eligible for goodwill consideration out of warranty"

who bites the bullet on "goodwill"; the service department or Honda?
  • Options
    In my experience, Honda does. I've gotten parts in the past under goodwill, but never labor.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    The first decision is Hondas and their zone rep in your area. Then if told no and the dealer wants to step up and cover it, they can at their cost. All depends on mileage, how many times for same problem and years on road with Honda, as for the dealer it usally comes down to how good a customer you are and how nice they want to be..
  • Options
    "...as for the dealer it usally comes down to how good a customer you are and how nice they want to be."
  • Options
    ok, you've bought the car, so you should be considered a customer. To be nice, should I come in with flowers or have my wife wear that low cut top for the service manager?
  • Options
    No you don't have to do that but when you are trying for out of warranty goodwill repairs it helps not to be yelling at the service advisor whose hands are tied by policy. It helps to be a regular customer of the dealer from whom you are trying to get a freebie out of. I helps to show that it was an issue before.

Everytime a dealer asks the manufacturer to offer a goodwill warranty, they burn a favor. They only have a limited number of those to use. So who will they go to bat for - the jerk with the attitude or the customer who treats them as they expect to be treated.
  • Options
    wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Try cleaning contacts with a soft rubber pencil eraser. You'll be surprised by amount of crud that shows up on it. I had similar problem with driver's side door not pulling in the last inch, cleaned the contacts and door resumed normal operation. All door problems to date on my '00, have been either dirty contacts or my kids dropping something into the lower door track.
  • Options
    sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    I love my '03 Ody, but I've never had a car where the driver seat's springs sounds like an old bed mattress or box spring. I weigh 168lbs, so it's not like I'm causing metal fatigue. Anyone know of a cure for this funny yet annoying problem? Or does it have to be replaced? Hopefully, in addition to any wisecrack responses, I'll get a potential solution!
  • Options
    antsinpantsantsinpants Member Posts: 4
    I to, have an 03 with a sqeuaky driver seat. I just realized it isn't the seat, but the metal bracket that attaches the seat belt buckle receptacle to the seat on the right side. It sqeaks when you move it around. I haven't done anything with it yet, seems like it could be loose bolt that attaches the buckle to seat. Grab the buckle and move it around, It may be the culprit.
  • Options
    sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    AntsinPants- Danged if you aren't correct. Move the seatbelt harness close to where it attaches to the driver seat on the right, and the squeeking stops! You saved me (and probably Honda) a lot of time and annoyance! Thanks.
  • Options
    jlewelling1jlewelling1 Member Posts: 65
    My officemate's 2002 Oddy just blew the trans at 38K. This supprised me as I always attribute the highest quality to Honda. Of course minivans and tranny's don't mix that well, but still.

Is there any general problem with Oddy's and trannies?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Apparently so; Honda extended the warranty on them for the '99 through '01 (?) models.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    the '02 honda got a new trannie which made me feel better about avoiding the problems plaguing the earlier models. It will be interesting to see if there are many '02 problems as the miles get past the warranty period.

It certainly is not comforting to hear post number 3039 where an '02 tranny blows at 38k.
  • Options
    lcheelchee Member Posts: 3
    The CD-player in my brand new 2003 EX-L burst into flames while I was driving home on the freeway. Honda says its engineers couldn't find a defect in materials or workmanship in the car. However, their customer service person handling this issue told me that they had found two quarters had been inserted, implying that could have been the cause. If true, then anyone with a CD-player must read this:

A few hours before the CD-player caught fire, the radio suddenly stopped playing. The LCD went blank. I couldn't get the radio to turn on again or the CD to eject. Since it barely had one thousand miles on it, I intended to take it into the dealer the next day.

Nothing else happened until my wife and I began smelling burning plastic or wiring. Smoke was probably billowing out, but it was too dark to see. We then noticed a glow coming from the CD slot. Within a minute or so, flames began licking out! I pulled over as soon as it was safe; my wife and I each leaped out of the Odyssey and grabbed the kids, then called 911. By the time the fire department arrived on scene, the flames were 1-2 feet high and beginning to touch the windshield. The fire captain said in another minute or two, the interior lining would have ignited, and the whole van would have gone up in flames. All this happened in a span of 5-10 minutes. Luckily, we weren't burned although we were exposed to whatever toxins were probably in the smoke.

I had the car towed to the dealership, Honda of El Cerrito, where I had bought the EX-L only three weeks before. They contacted Honda America which had the CD-player shipped back to the factory and x-rayed.

Although Honda America refused to let me see its report, their customer service person stated in a letter that "The inspection of your vehicle disclosed no defect, electrical or mechanical, that could have caused or contributed to the fire which occurred. We have determined there are no defects in the materials or workmanship of your vehicle."

Regardless of how any quarters, or any object for that matter, could have gotten into the CD-player, the CD-player still should not have burst into flames. There should be some safety mechanism or fuse that cuts off power to prevent any electronics from overheating enough to start a fire.

Honda markets the Odyssey as safe for families with young children. It's entirely forseeable that a child would insert objects into the CD-slot, especially since the coin holder is right beneath it.

I should also write that Honda America shipped the CD-player to their manufacturing center, and instructed the dealer to repair the Odyssey without getting my permission first, or even telling me that they were doing this. The repair was done as a "one-time goodwill gesture." Of course, this makes it impossible to independently verify whether or not there is a defect, or to ascertain whether the quarters, if any, caused the fire.

My advice to you is, if there's your radio/CD-player suddenly stops working, take it in for servicing immediately. It was only a few hours from the time the radio failed, and the fire. Believe, me; you don't want to risk a fire while your're driving, especially at night on the freeway.
     I've already filed a report with the NHTSA.
  • Options
    johnny2003johnny2003 Member Posts: 24
    I would take the Oddy to the dealership and have BOTH door motors replaced. They were not up to par that year, 99 either. When new, ours did the same thing. They even "popped" open on the interstate. Cleaning the contacts will not do anything long term. We have not had one single problem since the closing motors were changed.
  • Options
    rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    I am glad you were able to safely get out of the car. I would demand a new one or a complete refund - threat or use lawyers if necessary.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I have an 2002 Ody LX with just over 40,000 miles. Just fine so far until last Friday. My daughter wanted a ride to a football game and as she's starting to get in she says, "Dad, why is the glass crackling?" I look and sure enough the right slider window is disintegrating before our eyes. I get a friend to take her to her game and wait out the evening making a few glass calls.

By morning, pieces on the edge of the window have fallen completely off and there is even a couple of small holes in the middle with rain in the forecast. I call Honda service at the local dealer who informs me the piece of glass alone is over $400 and no one but the district manager can authorize them to replace it on Honda's nickel and that their district doesn't currently have a district manager. How convenient. Well, a local glass gut had said he'd do the whole job for $369 out the door and it turned out Safelite did it for $255 OTD and confirmed that it was NOT a rock strike because the glass had bowed out rather than in.

Am preparing my letter to American Honda. I expect better. Because I have a family of 6 and had someplace I had to go to with them on Sunday I was stuck renting a van for the weekend (a Chrysler T&C - nice enough - still like the Ody.

It ain't lchee's fire but disturbing enough. Had it happened 45 minutes earlier one of my two year olds would have been next to that disintegrating window!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    lexusrocklexusrock Member Posts: 74
    My 2000 Oddy started to (around 36K miles-just in time) have this brake noise when the van came to a stop. The more gently you press the brake, the more easily you can hear the 'Gi Gi Gi' noise. The brake still works great but where is that noise from? Dealer said it's some dust on the rear brake's drums and can be sand clean on next service, but it's ok to do nothing. Anyone else has the same problem?
  • Options
    Honda has an updated rear brake drum kit which my dealer installed on my 00 last Janaury at 32K under warranty. The dealer attempted sanding the rear drums which took care of the noise for a few days.

I too heard it only on very gentle stops. But after some time the "gi gi gi" became "gi gi gi scrrrrreeeeeeeeccccccchhhhhhhh". My wife refused to drive it.

You can e-mail off line for more info if your dealer doesn't know of it.
  • Options
    desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    I put an aftermarket air filter on my '02 Odyssey...K&N brand filter...I don't have specific #'s for you regarding an improved mileage...but it is much quicker accelerating and we have made less trips to the gas pump. The K&N filter is expensive, but it is a 1 million mile filter...(has to be cleaned every 100,000 miles). Worth the money.
  • Options
    johnny2003
       Wasn't trying to spend his money - his 2000 is probably out of warranty by now, and replacing door motors isn't cheap. Try the simple fix before spending big bucks. Mine's an April 2000 build, my motors have been fine. My left door wouldn't fully close to complete the latching, I cleaned contacts and problem was solved. This happend 18 months ago and hasn't repeated. Just my experience. Question: when your motors were changed, did they put in the redesigned door contacts too?
  • Options
    Even though the general manager at Honda El Cerrito agrees with me that whatever the cause, the CD-palyer should not have caught fire (see mssg #3042 for details), Honda America hasn't gone beyond repairing the damaged Ody.

To Hondal of El Cerrito (Calif.)'s credit, they traded the damaged Ody for a one fresh off the truck. Everything's the same except for the color. They'll resell the damaged one with full disclosure of he fire. Even so, they might be able to get at least their $24,500 cost for a 03 Ody EX-L.

Now the question is how ticked off I am at Honda America.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the dealer giving you a new Ody. That was the right thing to do. I am disappointed in Honda America.
  • Options
    merscwogmerscwog Member Posts: 12
    First non-domestic vehicle I've ever owned, and so far nothing has gone smoothly.

When the VIN number was screwed up on our paperwork and we had to go back and re-fill things out, it was just not a good sign. And then, the finance guy was late (not fun with a toddler in tow), and we still had one paper that was messed up and had to be redone.

Ok, so a glitch like that could be an isolated incident, but we pick up the van (my wife is the primary driver), and two days later I drive it and can't get the driver's side mirror to go up all the way. Our van was not on the lot, so we had test driven a different vehicle. At first I thought the inverted pixel on the LCD screen was the only minor glitch (yes, inverted not dead, so that when powered it shows the opposite color of all other colors around it, but I've read that it's almost impossible to get the screen replaced -- figures there was no problem on the van we test drove)

We brought it in, and they looked at the mirror, and said it was a special order that would take 3-5 days. A week and a half later, we called, and they said, oh yeah, it's here, bring it in at your convenience. At this point we had looked at the vehicle with a fine toothed comb and discovered the pin striping was peeling back, and there was a crack in the driver side control cover, which we relayed to the tech at this time so they could order a part if necessary.

A few days later on the scheduled appointment, we brought it in, and they fixed the pin striping, which apparently was installed improperly in the first place, the side mirror, and looked at the cover plate. Apparently the cover plate is a special order too -- starting to think everything is. We were assigned to the "yellow" team, but the "gold" team actually worked on the car, which apparently becomes important as things go along.

A few days later I get a call, our mirror is in, so we can bring the van in to be fixed. Uh, ok, but we just had it fixed a few days ago. This is not a good sign, especially since the person calling didn't have any record of the cover plate to be ordered -- because the team "assigned" to us wasn't the one who ordered it.

So, faulty vehicle from the factory, and questionable service. The Honda Experience has not been very positive so far, yet it gets even better.

We get a call that says the cover plate is in, so my wife schedules an appointment. She arrives with a cranky child (3rd service appointment at the dealership in as many weeks), and sits around for an hour and a half before being told that they can't fix the car. Huh? Well, for the first 45 minutes they couldn't find the part because it was filed under my first name instead of my last name, and then it turns out that the cover plate ordered was the wrong color.

My wife is furious at this point, so they said they'd overnight the part and have a service tech come out to our house the next day (a Saturday) and install it there. She said call us before 10:30 as we'd be out until 12:30. Of course, we get a call at 11:50 when we're out, so we call back at 12:40, and an operator answers and takes a message for us to give to the service tech. At 2:00 with no response, my wife calls, and the tech answers this time, and says he was waiting for a response and hadn't gotten the message we'd left, and that he didn't have anyone who could make it out there at that point.

Then, just this morning, they were supposed to come to our house, and fix it there, but upon arrival they say they have to bring it to the shop after all, but they'll wash and vacuum it -- leaving my wife almost without a car. I fortunately drove my old car to work, and left her old car (mine now) at home today.

So between being convinced that our 2003 was put together with spare parts, and that the dealership (excluding our excellent salesman who has still been helpful the entire time) has a serious communications problem, I'm starting to think our Odyssey purchase is more like the Greek version.

We haven't even brought up the issue of the LCD display yet, since we've had such problems with service in general, but if anyone has the requirements for that to be considered faulty, and how difficult it would be to replace (I know laptop displays are not difficult, but don't know how the flip down display is connected to the mounting as a whole).

We also think that we paid too much for the 7/100k extended warranty, but at this rate, we might have to take advantage of it often and end up well under what it would have cost us otherwise.

Is this a sign of Honda quality degradation in general, or are we just extremely unlucky?

-merscwog
  • Options
    elainec1elainec1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 EX in Sage Brush w/cloth seats. Its
    6 months old and the seats are pilled and linty. I've tried a lint brush to no avail. Does anyone else out there have this problem? I wouldn't think a 27K van should have such poor quality materials, my old 96 sable looked better after 7 years@! I'll be visiting the dealer shortly but I don't know what they will do other than probalby try to sell me after market leather.
  • Options
    I've got a '00 EX and cloth seats are showing very little wear. (Although with kids, they have been steam cleaned multiple times.)
       The cloth cover of the seats is actually replaceable. There was a snag in our front passenger seat before we took delivery. Think one of the techs may have had a screw driver in his back pocket when they were installing cassette player. Dealer had material in stock and replaced seat cover within a couple of hours Big question is how magnanimous your dealer is feeling and if you can induce them to replace the seat covers under warranty Usually they just attribute it to normal wear and tear which they don't cover.
  • Options
    teeball2teeball2 Member Posts: 2
    I have dabbled in automotive electronics in the past and stumbled on your interesting post regarding your radio causing a fire in your vehicle. Noting that Honda claimed there was coins in the CD player brings a great possibility that a coin could get placed in an area of the electrical circuitry that would conduct electricity through an alternate path than the design expects. With the amount of time you described and that possibility of coins getting placed into the CD opening, it seems logical that this could have happened in this case and the coin conducted electricity to other parts of the radio that were not designed to take the current load. Sounds like this may have happened to you. Just thought I would add my .02 cents!

P.S. Who thought it was a good idea to put coins in the CD player? :)
  • Options
    patmikedonpatmikedon Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2002 in nov. 2001. I now have 27K miles on it. M.P.G is from 20 city to 27 hwy. I recently had the many rattles corrected but it took 3 dealer visits, be patient and persistent. Most sliding door rattles were corrected by replaceing the "sub-seal" whatever that is. Gas light comes on when 5 gals left in tank - no problem with that. Post noise can be corrected with the installation of "insulation kits" in the posts. I currently need help with a strange problem: The van has developed a hum of unknown source. It resembles that of a fan or fans except that the noise increases/decreases with the speed of the van. My son (the mechanic) suggests the possibility of a transmission problem. Anyone willing to contribute?
    Oh yes, one more thing, I also have had the right slider open mysteriously and I suspect it is the remote. I would suggest that ody owners always lock their doors when leaving the van to prevent this.
    Thanks - Mike
  • Options
    irvsteroniirvsteroni Member Posts: 56
    I have a 99 Odyssey LX with 85000 miles. I thought I'd describe two big problems I've had. Since I bought the van my sliding doors have been sticking so hard that I couldn't open them. It became so difficult to open them that I broke the handle twice on one door and once on the other + the aggravation of having to use one door when the other would not open or worse, getting the kids in through the center space in the front because both sliding doors would not open!
    In 2001 (while still under warranty) I began to write Honda letters (certified mail) about this issue and that it was unsafe to have a door that potentially could not open in the event of an emergency. Honda responded by offering me extended warranty of 100,000 miles/6 years on the doors. It took me 7 certified letters. The doors still do not open sometimes (though rare) and it remains a mystery the service dept. has not been able to solve and repair.

My transmission also recently (this year) started acting up (the check engine light has come on four times since February) and fortunately I received in the mail just two weeks ago a recall on the entire transmission (here too they extended the warranty to 100k miles and 6 years). I will be getting an entire new transmission in the next two weeks.
  • Options
    tecprotecpro Member Posts: 1
    I am a 25 Year A.S.E. certified Master Auto and Truck Technician, and ALL the Honda Odyssey's are the worst I've seen since the Renault 18i, the last one I seen with a Transmission slippage code was a 2003, and the dealer service departments are starting to really dump on the customers now, expect about a $5000.00 bill for a tranny. And you only have to do brakes on one once to know not to let one in your shop. And Honda has pulled all of its Odyssey T.S.B. data from public access, and it was encyclopedic the last time I seen it, so your absolutely totally at the mercy and whims of the Dealers (legendary rape, pillage and plunder Honda Dealers). The last time a Manufacturer did this it ended up a total loss to owners (probably the wire harness, ignition switch, fire things). And the word is getting around fast on this one. So if you don't want to be stuck with payments on a pile you've been warned
  • Options
    What do you mean about "transmission slippage code"?
    I do not understand your comment about doing the brakes and then not letting them in your shop again - what do you mean?
    Thanks
  • Options
    do you mean to say that "all the Honda Odyssey's"
    or all the one's that you've seen when saying they are worse than the Renault 18i?

that's a pretty bold statment.

fyi: my '02 has had zero problemo thus far
  • Options
    Teeball2, even if coins, or any other conductive object for that matter redirected current, shouldn't a fuse have burned instead? Also, since Honda markets the Odyssey to soccer moms with kids, especially small kids, don't you think its reasonably foreseeable that coins would make their way into a CD-player, expecially when the coin holder is just below the player? If the coins were in fact the cause, I would expect more Odyssey's to go up in flames.

Thanks for notes, rbell2.
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    I know this isn't the forum for happy Ody stories, but I have an '00 that seems pretty solid on all fronts. Maybe, "all" Ody's aren't tetering on the edge of catastrophic failure.
  • Options
    '00 EX - no major problems. Unless you count the orange snow cone stain that won't come out of the back carpet. Other than that only other difficulties have been power doors needing to be reset a couple of times, and gasket getting loose on rear spoiler.
       At age four, my '94 Plymouth Voyager was on a third transmission, new cv joints and half shafts, new flywheel, and a head gasket.
This discussion has been closed.