Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• envoyenvy2envoyenvy2 Member Posts: 44
    SOunds like you need to change the sensor, a very common problem. Do a search and you can see a bit about it. Mine (2002 Envoy) had the same problem, just intermittent. You can reset it, but it didn't help mine (actually would not allow the AC to work because it thought it was to cold outside after resetting). The sensor is less than $20 and simple to install.
  • mrbobamrboba Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem with CDs. The problem is probably the label you may have put on your own CDs. The TB player doesn't like the labels. I tried a home-prepared CD with no label and it worked. My home player doesn't mind the labels.
  • mrbobamrboba Member Posts: 5
    My 2005 TB LS doesn't have remote door unlocking. However, the OnStar operator can unlock the vehicle. Can I add driver's door remote unlocking for less than the dealer's $550 charge? If so, anyone know how?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    If I recall, you would have to buy the receiver, the key fob(s), and the wiring harness to connect the receiver. I'm not sure in the main harness where it connects. You could probably do it for less $$$ but not less hassle. Perhaps you could use an aftermarket system, but I don't have any knowledge of them for this application.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    I have a question can someone help me with this one last night my tblazer would not start i installed a k&n flter sytem on. And when i went to reconnect the battery i heard well my wife heard some sparks so after that it would not start. So i went to the dealership this morning and had it towed in last night i go there they tell me i left the lights on i said to my self i could not have did that because i have daytime running lights and it would have sounded if i did. So anyway they tell me its not covered under gm plus they say it seized up the computer drained the battery. Now one thing i DID HAVE ANY $$$$ AND GMPP DID NOT HELP ME AT ALL SEEING THAT THE DEALERSHIP WANTED TO MAKE $$$ OFF ME AT ANY COST. I do know that i did not leave those lights on they wrote it up that way so gmpp would not pay for it if. If it was the computer they would have paid for it. I say all that to say this what good is having a warranty company like gm's if they say things like you have had your auto in alot daw a crappy company like gm makes pissy auto's thats why. And i really don't know if i should keep this warranty because hell it breaks again they and some despot dealership well screw me again. SO GUYS SHOULD I CANCEL THIS PIECE OF CRAP AND GET SOME LIKE $800 bills back its over in 7-07 or 110799 miles so i will not make the miles the date oh yes i do need the dough SO PLEASE GUYS PLEASE HELP WITH THIS ONE I REALLY DO NEED YOU GUYS HELP ON THIS ONE BIG TIME. THANKS
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't see how disconnecting and reconnecting the battery with or without the lights on would fry the computer unless it was a poorly designed system. In any case, you may want to look into Warranty Claims Administration.

tidester, host
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    No, just find another dealership. My extended warranty has paid for itself many times over.
    I can't help wondering why you needed to disconnect the battery when changing the air filter though. :confuse:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You blame GM because you go to a hillbilly dealership that has its head buried clear up to its you know what. Don't you have automatic lights where they turn on and off by themselves? If so then there is no way of leaving them on unless you manually turn them on which is unlikely if you have auto lights. Talk with the General Manager and if he won't help then call GM Customer Service. GM is a great company and have done good by me. They have paid 2/3 of a $1600 bill on a Chevy Tracker that was a year out of warranty. So don't blame them for your local hicks. :P
  • wpkelleysrwpkelleysr Member Posts: 51
    I'm starting to get the shudder also. Last time it happened I replaced the rear gear oil. It's tempermental stuff. I'm going to try it again and I'll report back.

- WPK
  • goodstargoodstar Member Posts: 27
    WPK
    Is the shudder between 1st and 2nd? My 02 does it sometimes and appears no rhyme or reason when it shudders. I was starting to wonder if I was the only one. I had the vehicle checked for any computer updates necessary, there were none. I've never changed the rear gear lube. I may do that dependent on what you report back with.

thanks

Goodstar
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    [quote (ross1962)]I can't help wondering why you needed to disconnect the battery when changing the air filter though.
    [/quote]

I agree, why would you need to unhook the battery for that?
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    The instructions that come with the K&N kit tell you to disconnect the battery before doing the install. It is the ultimate fail-safe from someone getting hurt while working under the hood. Consider the possibility of having your hands in harms way when junior jumps in the car and turns the key.
    As far as sparks and a fried computer, if by chance when reconnecting the battery the leads were reversed, that would cause sparks and likely fry one of the PCU's
  • mark77mark77 Member Posts: 4
    Recently I was getting uneven braking on my Envoy and I have changed front wheel rotor and pad (1st time brake job on the car). Still I get a pulsation at feet when braking and braking is not smooth at all. What could be the reason - the rear wheel brakes ( still original) or something wrong with the front wheel. Thanks in advance for comments.
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Easier to just keep your keys in your pocket and lock the doors if you have to worry about that.
    Goodstar:

Changed the rear differential fluid on Monday. Took a long trip to Sacramento on Wednesday. World of difference. Shudder between 1st and 2d completely gone.

I have about 160K on my TB - and learned about this issue shortly after original purchase. When the car was still pretty new (25K miles or so), I had the shudder, learned about the possible fix on this site, and did the replacement. Fixed shudder right away. Back in those days, I was under warranty.

When I came out of warranty, I realized that the fluid is pretty expensive. It's about $100 to replace. I find that my need to replace it is a function of whether I've been towing a lot, or operating in serious heat. The California summer was really hot this year (115 degrees for a week or two) and that's when my shudder came back. It had only been about 30K since last replacement - but when it got worse, I finally sprung for it a few days ago. Complete fix.

That's my report. How many miles do you have on the vehicle?

- WPK
    Goodstar:

BTW - My TB is an O2. I also (wife) have an 02 Envoy. She only has about 80K on hers. Same issue - same fix.

- WPK
  • goodstargoodstar Member Posts: 27
    WPK

My TB is an 02 with almost 70K miles. I live in Central Virginia, since the temperature has gone done I do not notice the shudder. I have a small utility trailer that I tow from time to time, not often and with very little load.
    I'm going to wait to see what happens over the winter and into next summer to see if it comes back when the temperature raises again. We do not have the heat you have but this summer was very warm.
    My wife has a 04 envoy with 15K that I noticed the shudder a couple of times also. I have to admit that I would have never thought the rear differential would have been the problem.
    Thanks much for the information I will let you know what happens next year.

goodstar
    See if you can get the fluid replaced on the O4 Envoy under warranty....
  • buickstudbuickstud Member Posts: 1
    Are 4.2L 6cyl. engines identical on these SUV's? I'm looking for performance parts for my 2006 Rainier (TB spacer and a K&N Fipk)and nothing comes up when i put the Buick Rainier as the make and model (on different websites). When i put the Envoy and TrailBlazer in the make and model field a whole bunch of products come out. I really want the K&N Fipk model #773036KG. Could someone please let me know if the engine layout are the same. THANKS!
  • raerayagdraerayagd Member Posts: 1
    When you say "shudder" does that include something like a bumping in the vehicle? My 02 Trailblazer sounds like it's running over small bumps in the road on a take off. The dealership removed the drive shaft and greased the slip joints but that did absolutley nothing! What have your results been? :mad:
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    As far as I know they're the same, but only for that year. Look at the 2006 parts only.
    Mine gets the shakes too. But only after running it alcohol for awhile and then back to gas. ;)
  • bobed2121bobed2121 Member Posts: 70
    So my front end does the clunking thing now after 95,000 miles. I understand that typically it's the sway bar end links that are the culprit? I took mine off and inspected them and they move quite freely under hand pressure so I assume that replacements will be somewhat stiffer. Is this typically what needs replacing and if so should the rears be replaced as well?
    Thanks in advance
  • tarltarl Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for results for leaking wind shield, and I happened onto your post. What I am about to tell you is the truth. I used to own a Grand National Buick, and was stock except for Koni shocks. I drove the car about a year and developed a pop in the wind shield (pass side) After through investigation, discovered ignition arc. The arc
    "snap" is amplified once the hood is closed. This was over ten yr ago. I replaced wires and carefully routed the wires using new looms. Believe it or not! Regards, Tarl.
    No, but I have a Yakima Rocket Box that works great and has very good aerodynamics.
  • familyshopperfamilyshopper Member Posts: 3
    Haven't bought in 10 years and looking for the safest,
    (3 row head curtain air bags), cheapest 7 passenger suv on market
  • ericmn20ericmn20 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Buick Rainier. The heated seats and memory seats functions have quite working. Do you know where the fuse is located in the fuse box under the driver back seat? I have located the fuse box but don't know which fuse to pull to see if it is bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Do you mean functional 7 passenger or just advertised? The Envoy/Trailblazer/Ascender 7 passenger are good and affordable in base trim. Bad news is they are going away after 2006, so look for a model year end deal on one if you want.

November or so, Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia are coming. True 7 passenger, pricing looks to start at under $30,000, not sure what the discounted pricing will be. These look to be really nice crossover SUVs.

If low cost is the biggest issue, then a mini van will be more affordable, lower priced than a comparable SUV, but many folks don't want to go there. :-)
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Buick Rainier
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • chevygirlseptchevygirlsept Member Posts: 9
    Hello,

I am a new to this site. And I am happy to have a place to share my TB woes. It's scary reading some of the problems people are having with their Trailblazers! I feel your pain! Nonetheless I still LOVE my TB, even though my fan clutch fell apart while towing my horse back from a 5 hour trip, at night, in the rain! Talk about scary! The noise! I prayed to the Road Gods to get my horse and me home in one piece. And they did.

Here's my question: I have been told by my dealership that I need to service my front and rear differentials at a cost of about $150. Do I really need this service or can i simply have them just add the fluid it needs.

I tow about 3500lb (horse in trailer) once or twice a month. So I understand the importance of maintaning the differential. But that service cost seems high. I have TB LS 4.2 ltr 6 cyl.
    Is it ok to use cruise control while towing 3500lbs at 60mph? I have a Chevy TB LS/4.2 ltr/6 cyl. Roads are flat (Florida highway)

Thanks for any advice regarding this.

MMM
    No. it won't hurt anything.
    What's your mileage? That will determine if the differentials should be serviced, but since you said that they need to add lube, then I assume that they're leaking, if that's the case then it probably should be done.
    Keep in mind that there's a lot of us out here that haven't had any serious problems with our TB's.
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    I'd find out what they mean by "service". If it's just checking fluid levels that's a little steep. If they will change the fluid for that price, it's a bargain. Unless you can see visible signs of gear oil they probably aren't leaking however look in the owners' manual. I recall a periodic fluid level check is one of the routine maintainence items.
    I'll add.. the gear oil used is expensive. I haven't checked lately but it was around $25/qt and a dealer item.
    Thanks for the replies regarding the trailering in cruise control and the rear diffs.

I have never seen any oil leaking anywhere from my TB. And I am not sure if "service" has actually checked the rear differential for leakage or simply want to replace it as I have now 71k on my vehicle. I must say the only concern I have with my TB is the fact that it is terrible on gas. Especially with "city" driving. I get sometimes as little as 210 miles with a full tank of gas. On the highway, if I'm lucky I get close to 400 miles on a full tank...(big sigh)!

MMM
  • jworkmanjworkman Member Posts: 27
    You're partially right....it won't hurt anything as long as you don't tow it in overdrive. If you enjoy your transmission, I suggest you don't tow anything in overdrive...shift on down to 3rd.
  • bakedzitibakedziti Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to drop a note to those looking to get an Envoy and doing some research. I have an 02' Envoy SLT and I recently broke 160,000 miles on it. I can't tell you I can't be happier and it still runs as smooth as the day I bought it. The only problem I ever had was the fan clutch going and that didn't happen until about 150K. All I've put into this truck is religiously changing the oil every 5K and keeping up with other maintenance items when needed. If your looking for a good reliable truck, you'll be making a good decision. You can read reviews all day long about people talking about all the little issues they have but no matter what you spend on a vehicle, they will all experience some sort of issue. You won't be disappointed! :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Always nice to hear good reports from people with higher mileage vehicles. Thanks!
    My TB does not have overdrive. Just the usual D, 3, 2, and 1st. I tow about 3500lbs. In city driving i put the truck in 3rd gear then when on the highway after getting up to 60 mph i cruise in "D". Interestingly heading south (Fla hwy 95) I have no problems and the rpms stay steady at about 1800. But heading back north I always have a problem and the rpms dance back and forth from 1800 to 2400. It's wierd. The roads are pretty much flat but I am wondering if heading back north I am actually going up and very slight incline which is making a difference. I don't want to hear that my TB can't handle towing 3500 lbs. That will bumb me out! I just bough the trailer.

Any thoughts about the rpm issue?

MMM
    You do have overdrive. It's a four speed transmission. The reason the rpms jump up are because most likely the torque converter is locking and unlocking during inclines.
    In my personal opinion and according to the owners manual you won't hurt the transmission towing that load in drive, but if the transmission is shifting a lot on inclines it's best to put it in 3rd gear until back on level ground or on a downgrade.
    Do you know what rear end gear ratio you have? Even with the highest ratio gears however your not at the towing limit.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    I would occasionally tow a 6,000 trailer and I always towed in third, even if I tow 1500 lbs I use third. What I have been told by an expert is that once the tranny heat up from load it will quickly go to extreemly hot and then your cooked! Buy towing in third you are putting less load on it and saving it from overheating. I have a 3.42 axel with 4x4, I know I'm a little over the limit so I don't push it hard, gradual and steady and slower always works, and I don't worry about holding steady speed on hills, just let momentum do its work.
    Which direction are the prevailing winds? The highest point in FL is a little over 300ft so I wouldn't think elevation change would be much of an issue. We just returned from driving our 03 Envoy to Hollywood FL. I think the highest thing I saw were the landfills along Hwy 95! With the frontal area of your TB plus trailer it wouldn't take much wind to cause enough load change to unlock the torque converter... as pointed out by burdawg.
    Is it in my manual?

Cruising in Drive heading south is no problem. It's the heading home part (back north) that worries me. I'll just keep her in 3rd coming home.

Thanks alot for all your help.

M
    On the glovebox door there's sticker with all the rpo codes for your vehicle. Look for those codes starting with "G".
    GU6 = 3.42 axle ratio
    GT4 = 3.73 " "
    GT5 = 4.10 " "

also if you see G80 in the list that is the code for a limited slip axle.
  • quarquequarque Member Posts: 41
    There has been some discussion here about the tendency for the GM AWD system used on TB's and Rainier's to fishtail in snow when going uphill. Today Seattle got hit with some heavy snow and I had to negotiate several hills to get home. I found the fishtailing was greatly minimized if I left the trans in 2nd gear. I was easily going up hills that others could not and with no fishtailing. I realize 2nd gear is not practical if you're on a highway but below 45 MPH it works very well.
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    I used to own a 2002 TB and I got 97,000 mostly trouble free miles on it when I decided to trade it in August for a 2006 LT V-8. It is a real rarety to find a short-wheeled TB with the 5.3 L motor...just not many out there. At 16,000 miles, this vehicle is perfect and it hauls...300 hp and 335 lbs of torque is why this vehicle has slip traction control. I did take traction control off one day and punched it and man did the tires smoke...I backed off quickly to save the tires.
    So far, I have taken it back to the dealership for a transmission reprogram (took thirty minutes), and to have the weatherstrip around the doors sealed. Other than that, the vehicle is perfect. Getting 16.4 MPG average which is close to what I was getting when I had the 4.2 (16.9). I have been following this discussion thread since 2003 and I see new faces!!! Wish I could see or hear from the old folks. Since they are not sharing, then their TB's must be doing fine! I used to be under a different name before my username expired. I'm back...
    :shades:
    What does it mean when the oil gauge needle tilts back and forth as I accelerate and decelerate? Should'nt it stay put? I had the oil changed a month ago...It goes from 40-50 back to 40
  • quarquequarque Member Posts: 41
    Most oil gauges do this a little. There is a pressure relief valve in the oil system that does not let the pressure get too high. At idle many oil pumps can't put out full pressure. As you speed up the pressure goes up until the relief kicks in. Then it falls back a little. Mine varies about 5 PSI. 10 does not seem excessive to me. If it starts swinging more than 15 you may want to have your mechanic check it. The swing may also increase as the oil warms up so that at idle the pressure is lower than when cold. That is perfectly normal.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Welcome back. Some of us from the early days are still here. Still have my 2002 Envoy bought in 7/01.