Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010+ Buick Lacrosse - Options

2»

Comments

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    My memory is a bit foggy on how I did it and unfortunately I had to do an old backup for restore. Thus I lost how I had things setup.
    Foobar. I had been storing high quality, 160KBS ogg streams to HDD. I then used a program to edit stream into individual songs. At that is what I miss & can't remember the name of it. It was fantastic and had transcoding capabilities included for many different formats.
    I used to use Goldwave and a couple of others. Goldwave is no longer free and may still have issue from the past. It only worked with files that were wav. Not good to convert a file, unless lossless, to wav and then back to your preferred.
    Once the file was split to tracks, I apparently saved them as track numbers since that is how they appear on HDD. I may have then used Nero plugin for foobar to convert to m4a.
    When I load those files, it displays artist and title. How I got the tags I do not remember. In doing research to get it done, I remember something about the output of some codec using a proprietary extension and the file exactly the same as m4a so it was only necessary to rename the extension.
    When I get a little time I plan to take some of the currently saved streams, ogg-flac 1000 kbps, and break them into tracks or segments. I'll save or transcode to m4a.
    It has been a long time since I used Winamp but it may come with needed plugins or have a wider selection of available tools.
    Has anyone seen the real power output of this unit?
    BTW, there is a law that requires it be available in "RMS", which means "root mean square", and is the only true power rating.
    Why do I mention? Because of the tendancy of manufacturers to inflate their ratings by using some other method. They might use peak which is approximately 1.4X larger and if they list as peak to peak, double the peak rating. But even that is no where near the inflated figures I've seen by other methods. By one method, according to the fine print, a system rated at 1000 watts was actually only over 100 watts RMS.
    Currently I'm wondering if this HK, said to be 300 or so watts, may actually only be around 40 watts RMS.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited April 2011
    e-net-rider,

You might be unto something here as I too am very disappointed in the oomph from the Harman Kardon stereo. In some cases I have to turn the volume up to almost 80% before I begin hearing anything approaching the sound of an ordinary stereo. I don't really understand all the technical details but I am almost certain that the HK is not delivering the 384 advertised watts, perhaps more like 60 watts, if that high.

The HK is nothing close the JBL in my Avalon and I am thinking of going to an audio store today to see if they can bring decent music to my CSX but like many I dread the idea of having to cut and splice wires.

Turning to a slightly different issue. Yesterday, a message came up in the DIC saying that "Blind Side Detetion is in Operable." This message came on just after I had turned off the warning (in the dash) saying I was low on gas. However, moments later the blind side indicator continued to work as normal and is still working. Perhaps not a big deal but I wonder if others have had that experience?
    I recently just ran across an old ad book for the 95 Aurora. That system had real quality for its time. True crisp highs and solid bass notes to its low end capability. Although there were less speakers, they were AcoustiMass, which might explain there high price to replace. Sending the speaker to Bose for re-coning was $85 about three years ago, not including removal and shipping.
    When it comes to quality sound, I still think my front pair of old Pioneers, 3-way, with 16" woofers is hard to beat, as long as you have a good amp powering them.
    How did you turn off low fuel warning?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    How did you turn off low fuel warning?

The drop down menu gave the choice to cancel or to get more information on the closest gas station. I deliberately let the tank go as low as I comfortably could but on fill-up it took 17 gallons. Not sure at what point the "low fuel" warning comes on but it seems a tad early, probably with about 4 gallons left.
  • rainman5542rainman5542 Member Posts: 114
    The best way to turn off the low fuel warning is to get gas!. Most cars warn you at about 3 gals remaining. That 40-60 miles of travel.
  • bobinorbobinor Member Posts: 63
    Add gas - wish I had posted that!

As far as the Harman Kardon system, I'm pretty happy with mine. It might not have as much low end punch as my '01 Regal's Monsoon system but I think it does a credible job of audio reproduction. I've tweaked the EQ to my satisfaction and get nice crisp highs and good lows with clear mids. Remember, this is the standard equipment for this vehicle, albeit highly touted on the sticker and in TV ads. If you want higher end I think you're into after-market stuff.

Speaking of TV ads, I've seen a ton of commercials for the LaCrosse lately but see few, if any, on the road around here. Are they selling? They should. I think it's a great - looks and performance - car.
    I can not turn off low fuel warning on mine, on the DIC. I can choose a couple of options from NAV screen including cancel.

This is not the standard system for Lacrosse. There is a cheaper not 11 speaker that is on the bottom. And lesser vehicles in GM line often have Bose system. And I strongly suspect Bose would protect its reputation, not allowing GM to do a hack install.
    Why would you want to turn off Low Fuel warning? Wouldn't you drive to the nearest gas station? On mine, you acknowledge the warning on the NAV screen and either get directions to a gas station or decline the help.

You may want to research this further by reading your owner's manual.
    I probably would not on this vehicle that I think about it. Some vehicles I've had would pop the first warning which you could dismiss but then it was with plenty of miles left, like maybe 60-70 miles. Then it would pop the second one with 25 calculated miles left.
    Practicing something helps & I'm just now experiencing my second low fuel warning, intentionally, in hope of learning more about the situation. Since the gas station is very close, I should not have burned more than a couple of tenths before filling. I will learn how much of tank capacity it takes.
    I've been searching for more info on HK and it turns out they have been using similar in BMW for quite a few years. The 3 series, at least some years from 91-99, used 11 speaker system. And one person, a musician, railed about how horrible the system is, or was because he replaced it with a collage of parts and is much happier. I would like to trust a professional musicians ear, but just grabbing speakers in pairs according to size seems very risky toward achieving system balance.
    But the BMW site has a brag about its 11 & 13 speaker HK systems. They brag on balance, that no matter where you sit you get the same experience. Gone is the sweet spot.
    If that system sounds like mine, I can agree that the sweet spot is gone. Just junk spots.
    There were several complaints of blown speakers and head units and one complaining that the dealer price on a tweeter is $100. Another complained that his speakers were plain cheap paper. If he knew what he was talking about it is no wonder they fail. The environment of an automobile, vibrations, temperature & humidity extremes, tremendous pressure changes from slamming doors or trunk lid, opening or closing of windows at highway speed, would be a speaker killer if they were not specially designed to withstand.
    A quality designed system would have each speaker in an enclosure. Example, door speakers would sit into a box of some sort with padding to isolate it from sounds at its back side and isolation mounts so the sound traveling through the metal door is not transmitted by the speaker.
    I do know that I can see the rear speakers from the trunk because of the large cutout holes. Is there supposed to be a plugging cap for these holes to stop trunk noises from entering via the speakers?
    IMHO, one needs to trust one's own ears. We are all different and listen to different music at different sound levels. You found ONE complaint but fail to realize there are a few hundred thousand satisfied owners.
    According to service writer, the HK 11 speaker in BMW is not the same and superior to this one. He seems to think it is low quality speakers, but I'm not betting on what the issue is. After listening to the base radio in CXL for 10 days, this one is superior, but only because I'd compare it to the radios used prior to 1965.
    You are right that a lot of people think they've got good sound coming through a pair of cheap ear plugs (where's the bass?) on a low quality stream not near CD quality. Must be a lot of tone deaf people in the world or they just like the idea of new and can carry with.
    On that note, I tried hooking my iPod touch(second generation) via bluetooth. That ain't happening. But it worked fine via USB including throwing the menus up on car screen. The bluetooth is obviously a short coming of the iPod and it won't do it with my phone either.
    BTW, the music was Absolute stream of over 1Mb/sec in ogg-flac which I easily converted to m4a at highest bit rate using Nero AAC codec via Foobar. It was easily as good as any CD, but sytem still displayed bass anomilies, fuzz, etc. All settings in vehicle were centered.
    My 2011 shows it is a program from MAR 2009. From day one, the first three attempts to locate a business, it sent me to old locations where they were no longer located, in one instance a vacant lot because they demolished. It tried to send me closed roads and roads that were not even built or completed. Although the road I was on had a turnout, it ended in about 10' and I could barely make out the strands of barbed wire in the headlights. The area was still a field.
    Some have rumored a free update. Is that so?
    They now have a new disc but it is $200 which I think is robbery. I could add the navigation to my cell phone for $5/mo which claims it is always up to date and shows traffic problems live because it has like over a million monitor points. The down side being the size of the screen.
    I may just get a much larger phone of some sort because to get such through GM, I'd have to buy the disc repeatedly, every year or so, and pay extra for features on XM which have very limited live points, or pay the high premium for OnStar.
    This is piracy from GM.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    edited June 2011
    Rainman: AMEN! Some drivers are more particular with the details and that has to be very frustrating with a car that has a multitude of parts put together by mere mortals. I don't look for problems at my age, I look for answers and the new (2010) Lacrosse has proven to be a provider of enjoyment to my wife and myself. Thank goodness!
    Good luck
    This concerns the auxillary inputs, especially the USB.
    I found the iPod interesting because it shows the music list from it. The play bar can not be changed as from the iPod though. You have to use seek buttons which don't allow you to jump around. But still pretty nice. I have not checked to see if it will through album art up on Nav screen, yet.
    But because I like very high quality audio I find the 8GB iPod Touch too small.
    Has anyone tried thumb drive or portable HDD?
    I would like to know your experience.
    I'd like to make the music on my computer available in vehicle. Much of it is 320Kb/s MP3 and if I add CD's, that is rip from CD at the same rate, I could easily be above 160GB.
    Thumb drives would require multiple and I don't know if a USB hub or switch will work with system.
    Has anyone tried a laptop?
    Has anyone figured out making or using playlists?
    The manual is very vague other than we are supposed to be able to use them.
    The concern I have is that many media players use their own format for making and using playlists. It would seem impossible for our systems to universally understand all of them.
    So, if you had success, what did you use to create the list?
    you are so right. But it is my thinking that when they discovered something did not work well, they would have made notes for future employees so they don't make the same mistakes. I can prove GM has been negligent in this area.
    Since adding the carpet to the trunk floor, bass has improved quite a bit. It likely is deadening some sound from bottom of vehicle and damping cross-talk between the left and rear speakers. And with the trunk filled it seemed to improve even more. So my next step will be to plug those holes into the trunk. It is my suspicion that the grilles much larger than speaker will vent back to cabin.
    Has anyone noticed a change in their system?
    Specifically the distance or area of coverage?
    You might want to check. One example, the right one does not now alert until a vehicle coming up the right side is at or past my bumper!
    Besides realizing that the loaner I was in last had horrible detection and that there was an area on left side big enough for a smaller vehicle or motorcycle to hide in along with right side issue.
    And the last time mine was in, they made mine like that. Damned. Already complained about that. And yesterday bore that out. I passed a motorcycle on divided 4 lane. I was cruising about 2 MPH faster than him. Plenty of room in right lane so I went to pull over. I checked my mirrors and no sight of him along with no SBZ. Where the heck did he go? I am so glad I questioned the mirrors and SBZ because after checking a few times he came into sight. He was hidden by that huge pillar right side rear. GM idiots. And I'd tell that to the president face on.
    No thanks to the filter, I had one good day of clear sinuses in the last two months. And the play in steering drove me nuts driving a lot of two lane road yesterday.
    Only good news I have is the release of who is getting ticketed most. Of the top 10 least ticketed, only two were cars, and lacrosse beat the other one. Lacrosse placed 5th.
This discussion has been closed.