Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Options
    rexmanrexman Member Posts: 14
    Sob... Was driving my Rex today on 495 in MA, and almost like slow-mo, saw the truck over in the other lane throw that vicious rock up and hurl it at my windshield. My poor Rex didn't have a chance - left two nasty nicks in the glass just above sight line. I went into Rex ownership knowing it would be my daily driver, but why do I feel the pain when these things happen? :)

I guess I should be lucky that the glass wasn't cracked - I've heard horror stories about windshield availability for our little beauty...

- Rexman
  • Options
    Wow - just checked out the photos phatride01 posted of the wrecked Rex. If nothing else, it looks like the crumple zones worked very well - no compromise of the passenger compartment...

- Rexman
  • Options
    kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Where at?
  • Options
    phatride01phatride01 Member Posts: 23
    just go back up to message 2337, and you will see the two links. Just delete the space between the "View? u=" to see the pictures.

Just copy and paste them, and you will see what this idiot driver did to his car. Unfortunately, he lives in the same area that I do, and I know exactly where this happened. I guess I will never have a chance to wave, or say what's up to him.

Bummer, but the car did seem to hold up fairly well!

I beleive that the links that I got were from a post on I-club. If you decide to read his story, u can do a search for member: turboboxer, and find the thread in which he describes his silly stunt!

There was another person that killed her car, and almost herself, on i-club, and there was one other yellow sedan that was salvaged for parts on there.

That's three sedans down, so far, only 7997 to go, per the 10000 cars here, minus the 2000 wagons.

Be safe all, and happy driving.

later,
    phat.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The crumple zones performed perfectly, as designed. Notice the windshield is perfectly intact, and there is no protrusion into the passenger compartment.

But even the best safety measures can't compensate for the nut behind the wheel! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    Come on people, I'm really not asking for difficult tech information here:
    Can someone please tell me the color of the back-lit instrumentation on the WRX, and the action needle light color?

THANK you. perrito |:(
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Tell you what, buy me one and I'll answer it for you! ;-)

Kidding. In the brochure, the lit dash shows a black back ground with light green numbers and orangish-yellow needles (more yellow to my eyes).

-juice
  • Options
    Thanks Juice -- don't have the brochure, and although I saw an on-line (scanned) version, the lit display was not obvious to me.

perrito

p.s. getting closer now... it's horrible having an indecision complex.
  • Options
    bratmanbratman Member Posts: 1
    Hi! New to the board. I'm "this close" to ordering my WRX and had a couple questions:

1. The turbo boost gauge -- cool to watch, but does it serve a vital, practical purpose? I have never owned a turbocharged car before and am on-the-fence with the optional gauges.

2. Does anyone have any dealer recommendations/horror stories in the Los Angeles/Orange County area?

Thanks!
  • Options
    wkillenwkillen Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to this site and it's nice to see the variety of WRX specific comments and issues in once place.

I've owned my Blaze Yellow 5 speed sedan since April and have noticed on overcast days that the paint match is really not that good. The door handle surrounds, rear spoiler and the two front pieces between the hood and bumper appear a different color. Even the touch up paint is a different shade.

Anyone else out there of the 450 of us that has noticed this, or had any success with dealer in getting this remedied?

Other than a minor noise problem at low speeds coming from the rear suspension, I think, this car has been fantastic!
  • Options
    My 5-speed sedan has made this noise since new. When more than two people are in the car you hear this weird noise (like old shocks or bad bushings)over bumps at lower speeds. The noise is somthing like a squeek or rubber-to-metal friction sound.

Anyone else notice this and is there a fix? I'll be visiting dealer soon and it would be nice to be prepared.

Thanks
  • Options
    sharkbbqsharkbbq Member Posts: 4
    If someone has bought the sound system option i.e.-amp. and speakers, how much of a difference is it from the stock system? Are the speakers a name brand like Infinity,Bose, etc.. Also are there aftermarket products like exhaust, air intake and boost increase yet and who?
  • Options
    ramiller1ramiller1 Member Posts: 124
    I noticed this same noise during a WRX sedan demo drive during hard cornering. Sounds kind of like a worn strut. The same sound pops up occasionally on our Forester, took it in to the dealer and all they could do was put some extra grease on the roll-bar bushings but the sound still comes back at certain outside temperatures.

Since we seem to be in question mode right now, here is mine:
    Does anyone know how to tell what number WRX off the assembly line your car is from the VIN number?
    And do they build the sedan and wagon on the same line or are they separate operations?
    My VIN is JF1-GG2963 2G809103.
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I believe they build the wagon and sedan on the same assembly line. Patti might know for sure. Patti? Your vehicle production # is the last 4 or (5) digits of the VIN. So it looks like yours is 9103. I believe (trying to remember my VIN by memory) my wagon is #2982, produced in Feb and received by me on 3/26. Hope this helps.

Stephen
  • Options
    wilken: Yes, alot of other blaze yellow owners have noticed it too... go over to the www.i-club.com forums for testimonials and more info.

bratman:
    1. If you fidle with boost controlers and other engine modifications, yes, a boost gauge is vitally important... but if you keep the car stock, its pretty much just for fun :)
    2. I heard Irvine Subaru is pretty good.

sharkbbq: Theres more base in the upraded sound system, but its not a very good system... go aftermarket and save the $$$
    As for aftermarket performance items, there are TONS already! Go over to www.i-club.com and look in the Turbo Powertrain forum
  • Options
    1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    There was a thred on the http://www.i-club.com/ regarding how the VIN breaks down...do a search for it using "VIN"
  • Options
    1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php? s=bbe11cd80209f432df027022575eb125&threadid=37991&highlight=VIN+number

copy the whole url above

• Options
    1) For the guy wondering about the instrument cluster backlighting, the lighting is a soft green, and the needles are yellow with a white light going through. The total effect is clear but not obtrusive.
    2) Sound system - my original Silver sedan (that I passed on due to transporter damage) had the upgraded speakers and subwoofer/amp package. My short impressions of the system were that there was way too much bass. So for my Blaze yellow sedan, I had them put in just the upgraded speakers (which are pioneer versus stock panasonic I believe) and the sound is okay -- better than stock. For the $175 I paid, it's worth the price, but I agree that aftermarket is better way to go for really good sound.
    3) For Bratman, ditch the turbo boost gauge. Modern turbo engines don't need them and if you're driving enthusiastically, you shouldn't be looking over there anyway. Finally, the fit and finish of the guage pack is really poor.

all for now
  • Options
    triple5triple5 Member Posts: 1
    Test drove an auto (only one available at the time) last thursday. Drove the 5 speed today...there is no comparison, you need to be able to shift when below 3000rpm.
    There was a silver 5 spd with rear spoiler, compass, prem. sound, carbon fiber rep. dash, armrest, floor mats and air filter which I got for 25,429 is this OK or did I get carried away?...I can collect it on tuesday
    NYC Metro area and although I wanted Blue was told they wanted over sticker on one they had been allocated.
  • Options
    eromitlaberomitlab Member Posts: 24
    If you're willing to drive south to DC, there is a Maryland dealer that has three Blues - not exactly same equipment but they have the color you want and the price is closer to $24,300, I think. I was there today and FINALLY drove a WRX - I am hooked and will be ordering later this fall, I believe. Funds short right now.

Anyway, for anyone in search of a WRX in the mid-Atlantic, check out www.fitzmall.com - Fitzgerald Auto Mall. Their Subaru dealership in Kensington/Rockville had EIGHT WRXs on the lot, and some more wagons that needed to be dealer-prepped.

--Bill
  • Options
    ramiller1ramiller1 Member Posts: 124
    That's a real snorter of a web address but it hit the jackpot. Go there and scroll down a ways and you will see a chart on how to decipher your VIN. Turns out I do indeed have WRX wagon #9103. (Uh-oh, those numbers add up to 13--better take out some extra insurance.) Thanks again.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on back-lit color Wayne! I'm one step closer to a WRX...wagon, that is! Sorry!

:) perrito
  • Options
    jcamp2jcamp2 Member Posts: 7
    Fitzgerald has good prices and large stock but I just purchased from Becker Subaru in Allentown PA and would recommend looking into them. The internet deal I received was invoice for WRX sedan off the lot. At that rate it was worth the Southwest flight to BWI (100), rent-a-car (60), the 2000+ mile drive back to NM (gas and a couple of nights in motels). Since dealers here were pretty much at MSRP, the difference goes along way to pay for the 17 inch SSR Comps and 215/45 RE 730's. Car was very comfortable on the trip (the seats beat our 2000 outback hands down). Gas mileage on at least 3 fill ups was at 27 MPG. Well I may be crazy doing this at 50+ years of age but me and car appeared to survive trip with little damage.

For those still looking try Beckers via the internet - not sure how often they go to invoice but worth looking into. Becker's people were just fine. Had them add the short shifter and highly recommend it (350 installed). Now only things left is to title and register it NM and get the tires and wheels mounted. Oh yeah and change the oil.

One other thing, turbo lag particularly with the air conditioner on, is much more of a problem at our mile plus altitude than at sea level.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Barry - Call Flemington Subaru in Flemington NJ at 908-782-2025 and ask for Alex Leist. He will definately give you a good deal (well under MSRP)no matter what color your want. Tell him bluesubie sent you.

Wayne - Just an FYI, the factory subwoofer is adjustable. There's a gain and crossover adjustment.

Dennis
  • Options
    jcamp2jcamp2 Member Posts: 7
    Fitzgerald has good prices and large stock but I just purchased from Becker Subaru in Allentown PA and would recommend looking into them. The internet deal I received was invoice for WRX sedan off the lot. At that rate it was worth the Southwest flight to BWI (100), rent-a-car (60), the 2000+ mile drive back to NM (gas and a couple of nights in motels). Since dealers here were pretty much at MSRP, the difference goes along way to pay for the 17 inch SSR Comps and 215/45 RE 730's. Car was very comfortable on the trip (the seats beat our 2000 outback hands down). Gas mileage on at least 3 fill ups was at 27 MPG. Well I may be crazy doing this at 50+ years of age but me and car appeared to survive trip with little damage.

For those still looking try Beckers via the internet - not sure how often they go to invoice but worth looking into. Becker's people were just fine. Had them add the short shifter and highly recommend it (350 installed). Now only things left is to title and register it NM and get the tires and wheels mounted. Oh yeah and change the oil.

One other thing, turbo lag particularly with the air conditioner on, is much more of a problem at our mile plus altitude than at sea level.
  • Options
    Whew...

Just picked up 5 out of the 8 available volumes making up the WRX factory "service manual". What happened to the days when a car could be described in at most two volumes? Hopefully, I never have to use them all, but it's kind of neat reading about what makes up the car. :)

Decided against getting the "transmission" and "body" manuals - if that stuff ever needs work, then it might be time for a new Rex... :)

- Rexman
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    I've heard many complaints at the "I-Club" about starting problems on new WRXs. They seem to be mostly on California cars. They also report very rough idle problems. Frequent trips to the dealer have not fixed the problems. Has anyone else encountered these issues?
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Anyone know what the performance numbers are for the automatic WRX? I think everyone knows the 5-speed is faster but what will/can the auto do??
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Well, I did not drive automatic but guy from i-club claim that auto is much slower.

Small displacement, especialy turbo, engine is not a good match for automatic transmision.

Krzys
  • Options
    rex_ruthorrex_ruthor Member Posts: 140
    I havent heard of or witnessed any problems like this.

However, I dont see why such a problem would be specific to California...all the WRX's sold in the US are identical...its a 50 state car.

Maybe its crappy gas.
  • Options
    svillekensvilleken Member Posts: 9
    I have been reading this forum for months and on Saturday I picked up my Blue 5sp Wagon (10 weeks waiting) and I am all smiles :)))) I test drove the Audi A4 and an automatic WRX Sedan but I ordered the 5sp Wagon. IMO, the Audi is not near as fun to drive as this car. How can you guys keep the RPM's under 4,000 for a 1,000 miles? It seems that this car ramps up so fast that I am chronically doing 4,000 rpms before I get to the end of the street. My wife calls the car our "Grocery Getter" because I keep volunteering to go get something from the store and I keep driving the LONG way home. Maybe it's only new car excitement....BTW my old car which I love and kept is a '94 Oldsmobile Cutless Convertible (8 years old and 145,000 miles) and the first car I kept more than 2 years.
  • Options
    aceperoacepero Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone here ordered his/her vehicle? If you have can you give me an idea as to how long you waited to get your vehicle? Meaning from time of order to the time you actually stepped into the car and drove that beauty home.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My buddy ordered his yellow one just after the 1st allocation came in. He got his about 6-7 weeks after that. I all depends on a # of factors:

1) When in the shipping cycle you order (is there a ship with your car on it, already at or near port)

2) Does your dealer have good pull with the import company (not SOA, but SXX)

3) Can they get your car from another dealer in the color/options you want.

-mike
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    "lumpy" idle naturally. This was a bit disconcerting for me coming from the consistently smooth idle in my 00'OB. Sometimes if the turbo has not cooled down sufficiently and you go to start the WRX, it will take a couple of tries until it takes.

Stephen
  • Options
    aceperoacepero Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the information. One more thing though:
    If they told me that the next allocation is in September what does that Really mean?

a) That I should expect my car in mid to late September

b) That I should expect my car in October

I'm not really sure how long the wait is when they tell me that the allocation is September.
  • Options
    It's in their sept allocation, it means mid-late sept. Which if you ordered it now, or a few weeks ago, is about right. I had another friend order a 2002 RS a week ago, and it's due in mid-late sept in my dealer's Sept Allocation.

-mike
  • Options
    I've been thinking of getting the Subaru short-shift kit (my '93 MR-2 has spoiled me rotten) for my Rex, in large part because the 4-5 shift annoys me to no end (feels like the shifter just keeps on going and going...)

For those of you who have the kit, did it shorten the throws significantly? Is it easily installed by the do-it-yourselfer, or is it best left to the dealer (eeek, that thought scares me :) )?

Thanks!

- Rexman
  • Options
    The OEM shifter doesnt help much besides shorten the shift...

Lots of folks over on I-club prefere the Kartboy shifter, along with the kartboy bushings... (cheaper too) Theres also a Cobb Tunning shifter with bushings, but thats the expensive option.
  • Options
    boondoggleboondoggle Member Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of a blue WRX 5-SPD. 350 miles
    so far. A couple of questions for the experts;
    is there a cheap, washable seat cover I can get
    for the drivers side that won't block the side
    airbag? Also, do you guys recommend putting
    in a K & N filter? Would it be easy to do for the
    mechanically challenged person like me? Thanks.
  • Options
    Dont know much about the covers, but I do know that I know squat when it comes to mechanics (been trying to learn lately though) and the K+N is E-A-S-Y! Just pop the clips on the box and wedge it open and take out the stock one, pop in the K+N, and pop the clips back on... :)
  • Options
    pfifferpfiffer Member Posts: 47
    Does the K+N air filter actually show any performance gain? Is the gain according
    to manufacturers specs or are there WRX owners out there who can feel a difference?
  • Options
    bedabibedabi Member Posts: 149
    I put a K&N filter in when the car was at about 3k miles (at ~8k miles now)and I think it's safe to say that I felt the turbo spool up a little faster. By now, though, the difference might be negligible because this engine definitely has smoothened out as it further wears in. Where the turbo previously didn't start kicking in till about 3800 RPMs or so at break-in time, it now starts pulling pretty hard by 3200 RPMs. Then again, I only use Sunoco 94 octane gas, and I think the ECU now allows the turbo to work a bit harder. (No other mods..... yet.)

As I've said before, prospective WRX buyers should be aware that the pre-break-in WRX's at the dealerships feel very stuffy compared to a WRX after 5000 miles or so. Try to get a ride with a friend, and you'll see what I mean.

Have any other owners modified your WRXs yet? Have you looked into it? I've been doing a lot of reading up in i-club, and a debate rages between two aftermarket kits by TurboXS and Cobb/APS:

http://www.turboxs.com/

http://cobbtuning.com/ssi/osb2/showitem.cfm?Category=27

Both systems basically feature a modified intake, new exhaust and a piggyback computer chip for the stock ECU. Cobb/APS is substantially pricier, but claims to have a more comprehensive system and more experience (APS is from Australia, and have tuned Impreza Turbos since aobut 1994). Turbo XS claims to boost power to 265 hp, and Cobb/APS to 280 hp.

On a side note, Prodrive of England, in conjunction with Subaru, is selling a performance package, FULLY WARRANTIED, that produces about 245 hp and 261 lb/ft torque (!). This car was similarly modified with a different ECU, exhaust and minor intake changes. You can take a look at the dyno curves here, where it's shown as a performance option for the UK300 version of the WRX:

http://www.subaru.co.uk/uk300/uk300.htm

Click "Special Features", then click on the circle above the hood for the "Optional WR Sport Performance Pack".

Unfortunately, even if this option does float across the Atlantic, I doubt the warranty will follow. :-{

• Options
    I run a K+N in my Trooper, I noticed a better pull in the upper RPM range (above 4K on that car) after the K&N Filter. I like it cause it's re-usable and gives slight performance gains.

-mike
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    When you wash and re-oil your K&N filter, be very careful to apply the oil correctly, and don't overdo it. It is fairly common for excess oil to contaminate the MAF sensor used by many cars today. Does anyone have data from an independent source that demonstrates a measurable benefit from fitting a K&N filter? I've never seen one.
  • Options
    I think some dyno tests were run on cars with stock intake filters vs. K&N over on I-club... not 100% sure though
  • Options
    wildwildwest2wildwildwest2 Member Posts: 6
    I love my yellow WRX, it was well worth the search.

The other day I was admiring the front end and was wondering how much damage a rock or two could do to the large low fog lights or the much bigger target provided by the headlight assy. I priced out the cost of the parts at the dealer and found one headlight assy goes for $300, while one foglight is $150. I then started searching for some protection. I found some plastic film that sticks on the lights like a decal that go for something like $45. to cover all four lights.

I then found some hard plastic covers available from New-Impreza.com out of Australia. These would offer much more protection and the photos on the web site seem to show they don't detract much from the look of the car. Has anyone any experience with these or other protective devices for these lights? Please share your thoughts.

What I would really like to find for the fog lights is the aluminum or chrome mesh units like they use on many ORV but I cannot find anything that fit. Anyone found any of these??

Thanks for the help WRX-folks.
    Mellow Yellow Bob
  • Options
    sychangsychang Member Posts: 1
    I bought Stongard and had it applied to my headlights and front end of the car. It's otherwise known as a "clear bra" made of 3M clear plastic. Edmunds.com has an article on it. The pieces for the headlights are considerably thicker than the pieces that go on the hood and bumper - nearly 1/4 of an inch. The pieces can be ordered cut specifically for the WRX, and the full kit can be had for about $170. It's the installation that'll cost you. You should find a good tinter to do the job, and you'll be paying for about 5-6 hours labor.
  • Options
    Heres a nice foglight protector for ya :)

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22449

• Options
    Just wait for them to get smashed, and replace them with some good PIAA model 80 (if memory serves me correct) lights which will be far superior to the stock ones.

-mike
  • Options
    pfifferpfiffer Member Posts: 47
    I've now got 450 sweet KM on a blue 5 spd sedan - put 730 potenzas with the 17 " BBS rims. Handling is top drawer!! rDoes anyone have a tire pressure recommendation for these? They were installed with 27 psi cold pressure and are a bit noisy at 120 kmph. Any feedback would be appreciated.

ED
This discussion has been closed.